Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: Comic Book News & Previews

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:*cough*

I hadn't heard that rumor, but someone I know has been pimping the Apple tablet as a comics delivery device. Someone else I know swears he can provide a device for under $500 that will do damned near everything a typical tablet does. I have my doubts.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:18 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:As the dead rise in DC's BLACKEST NIGHT, so too will dead books return to life

Such an awesome idea! I can't wait for the Question #37!

They couldn't have got Denny O'Neil to write it? Robinson is writing Starman. If they can do that, they can do anything. (And, as Frank Miller reminded us, "If you intend to die, you can do anything." Appropriate for "Blackest Night.")

And...

As DCU Executive Editor Dan DiDio announced here on Newsarama last month, The Question #37 will be among the eight one-shot comics that will "return from the dead" during January, tying the former series into Blackest Night. While Greg Rucka was previously named as the sole writer on the Question issue, DiDio has just revealed that readers can now expect a comic co-written by Rucka and former Question writer O'Neill.

Sounds good!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Batman and Robin #6 Preview

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:55 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

ATHENA

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:35 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:48 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:As the dead rise in DC's BLACKEST NIGHT, so too will dead books return to life

They couldn't have got Denny O'Neil to write it? Robinson is writing Starman. If they can do that, they can do anything. (And, as Frank Miller reminded us, "If you intend to die, you can do anything." Appropriate for "Blackest Night.")

And...

As DCU Executive Editor Dan DiDio announced here on Newsarama last month, The Question #37 will be among the eight one-shot comics that will "return from the dead" during January, tying the former series into Blackest Night. While Greg Rucka was previously named as the sole writer on the Question issue, DiDio has just revealed that readers can now expect a comic co-written by Rucka and former Question writer O'Neill.

Sounds good!

YES!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Marvel Reboot?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:56 pm

From Millarworld:
http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=90724&view=findpost&p=2075251
Mark Millar wrote:Cheers, lads. For me personally it's a three way tie between Ultimates 2, Old Man Logan and and Kick-Ass. I try to do quite different kind of books in each wave I do. The first wave of my career was The Authority, Ultimate X-Men and Superman Adventures. Then I had Ultimates, Ultimate War, Superman Red Son and, er, Trouble. Then I did my creator-owned few months Wanted, American Jesus and The Unfunnies before jumping back to Marvel again with Ultimates 2, Ultimate FF and Civil War.

It really breaks down into waves for me like this because I see all the projects together in eighteen month chunks followed by little breaks and holidays before starting another new phase. The last phase, Old Man Logan, 1985, Kick-Ass, War Heroes and FF is pretty much over now and I'm halfway into the next block. Over the next couple of years you have Ultimate Avengers, Nemesis, Kick-Ass 2, the Leinil project, a Dave Gibbons magnum opus and a major, major revamp for Marvel (which, as soon as you hear what it is, you'll realize kinda HAS to be the biggest thing I'll probably ever be involved in with comics).

Have been very lucky so far and when I look at that list realized have worked with the best artists of this era. Hitchy, McNiv, JRJR, Leinil, Gibbons, Dave Johnson, Frank Quitely, JG Jons, Tony Harris, Tommy Lee Edwards and Steve Ditko? Man, talk about spoiled.

MM
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Morrison And Van Sciver’s Wonder Woman?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

More MYTHOI Goodness...

Postby Comicnerd on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:35 pm

ABOUT MYTHOI: Taros, Vito, Yuki, Wiglaf and Touch are five unique beings from various mythologies thrown together to defend humanity from an ancient enemy, cast aside by man. We set our story in now, though "now" is not the time of forgotten gods and legends, now is the time of humanity – self-serving and gluttonous. Despite the unique circumstance that led each of them to immortality, these five must ultimately (re)discover their souls from within their forgotten fragility in order to save the world, as well as themselves. Though sometimes in the pursuit of truth, one can easily forget what they're looking for…

MYTHOI BIRTH: Is a five part origin series with each 12-page issue highlighting a different character. The best part? All of them are free!

You can find WIGLAF right here: http://semantink.com/wordpress/Wiglaf

If you like it, help us out and tell your friends! If not, well, write me some hate mail... ;-)

PS: The MYTHOI Birth series also contains a viral marketing launch with puzzles/links hidden in each issue - details about the prize coming soon (I can tell you it's a character bust)!

PEACE!
Less flash, more substance.
Comicnerd
GLIB

DAYTRIPPER

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 am

From Graphic Content:
DAYTRIPPER #1 by Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon–preview
Pamela Mullin wrote:What are the most important days of your life?

DAYTRIPPER, the new limited comic books series by Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon coming in December, is a book like no other. It’s an amazing look at life that will stir your heart and move your spirit, but you don’t have to take my word for it.

“Beautifully written, utterly gorgeous. . . completely blew me away.” —Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance, The Umbrella Academy)

“DAYTRIPPER is a fascinating puzzle I will be contemplating for the rest of my life.” —Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise, Echo)

“This latest from the Brazilian wonder twins is surely their best looking work to date. In DAYTRIPPER, they give us a glimpse into an exotic yet believable world. It makes you want to be there with them…!” —Paul Pope (100%, BATMAN: YEAR 100)

From Hyper Geek:

An Eight-Page Sneak Peek Preview of Daytripper #1 by Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon

Moon and Bá Talk Daytripper

From Newsarama 2008-09-19:
Daytripping - Ba, Moon & Schreck on 'Daytripper'

From CBR Sun, July 27th, 2008:
CCI: Fabio Moon, Gabriel Ba, and Becky Cloonan Q&A

From the Fabio Moon/Gabriel Ba blog:
Daytripper 3, DMZ 50 and a conversation
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jonathan Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D.

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:37 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Kimota!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Jonathan Hickman's SHIELD

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 am

From CBR:
Hickman to journey into Marvel's far-flung past with Shield
Kevin Melrose wrote:On today's episode of G4TV's Attack of the Show, Blair Butler revealed writer Jonathan Hickman's next project will be Shield, a miniseries that will reach far into the past of the Marvel Universe.

In Shield, Hickman will team with artist Dustin Weaver (Star Wars, King Kong) to chronicle how some of the greatest figures in history worked to protect the Earth from Galactus and other interstellar threats.

Marvel teased the announcement this morning: "They've been around since the dawn of time. ... how do they impact the past, present and future of the Marvel Universe?"

Hickman, whose work includes The Nightly News and Fantastic Four, says Shield "feels like the best thing I've done." The comic debuts in April 2010.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jonathan Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D.

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:09 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

SHINJUKU

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:11 am

From Newsarama:
Mink Courts AMANO for DHC's SHINJUKU
In the upcoming illustrated novel Shinjuku, a retired Special Forces soldier has entered the seedy world of bounty hunting – and one of his first jobs is saving his own sister. Set in a futuristic 2020 in Shinjuku Tokyo, Shinjuku follows Daniel Legend as he descends into the depths of Tokyo to find his lost sibling and comes head-to-head with not just one underworld, but two: the criminal and the supernatural. What starts as a personal quest turns into something that could impact the world.

Legendary illustrator Yoshitaka Amano (Vampire Hunter D, Sandman: The Dream Hunters) is partnering with writer Mink for this illustrated novel – Amano's first in over a decade.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Question #37

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:13 am

DennisMM wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:

And...

Sounds good!

YES!

From Newsarama:
The QUESTION & Answers with Greg Rucka & Denny O'Neil
Vaneta Rogers wrote:Somebody at DC came up with the idea: Why not bring canceled series back from the dead for an issue and tie their stories in to Blackest Night during January?

But the editors and creators at DC took it one step further, not only bringing back the series for an issue, but bringing back several of the writers and artists who made their names on those comics.

Last week, we talked to Gail Simone and John Ostrander about their Suicide Squad #67 issue in January, bringing Ostrander back to the title he helped define during his run.

Now we turn to another legendary creator from DC Comics, Denny O'Neill, who will be co-writing The Question #37 with Greg Rucka. Not only will the issue bring O'Neill back to the comic series he began back in 1987, but the artist on that run, Denys Cowan, will also return to draw the issue.

O'Neill, well known as the former Batman editor at DC, recently returned for a two-issue story in Detective Comics #851 and Batman #684, where he examined Gotham City without Batman.

In January, the writer returns to DC to add a resurrected Blackest Night tie-in issue to his 36-issue run on The Question, a body of work that Rucka has often cited as an influence on his own writing style.

Newsarama talked to Rucka and O'Neill about the upcoming collaboration, what was so special about that run of The Question, and what readers can expect from January's resurrection.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:23 am

From the interview cited above by The Butcher, link inserted by me:

Rucka: But there was a big question being asked about the nature of sanity, about the nature of belief. And that thematically holds throughout the run. It is there from the first issue to the last. We have talked about it, but we've never really talked about it at length. I think on a level, and Denny will correct me if I'm wrong, but it was some active -- I mean, you knew what you were playing with. You don't name a guy Szasz unless you know what you're playing with.

How many readers even know what that means, though? Is the obscurity a virtue or just pretentious? I only know about Thomas Szasz because I studied sociology and psychology in college and had to read some of his work.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 am

I think it simply adds depth to story telling. You can certainly enjoy the story on it's own, but this level of detail and craft adds something extra for readers that are aware.

Joyce would write his stories knowing that the reader would not understand. He expected his reader to do additional work to fully grasp what he was writing. THAT is pretentious (but also quite rewarding for the determined reader). This is simply well layered story telling, IMO.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:50 am

Maybe. It's a comic book, though. A good comic book, but a comic book. [/cynicism]
DennisMM

POWERS Vol. 3 #1

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:05 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:11 am

This is all I got to say to all you Freaks in this thread....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nvdh0FM ... re=related
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:42 pm

If I'm straight out of The Question, that's an honor.
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Can I be a Kirby comic book character?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:15 pm

VERTIGO's return to prominence looks poised to continue with Daytrippers

By Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. This looks spectacular. Don't believe me? Check out a preview here.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Millar and McNiven's NEMESIS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 pm

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm sure DC will love Millar for talking about Batman, The Joker & Gordon appearing in, what is essentially, a Marvel book (even if the character names are different).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: JMS & SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:53 am

TheButcher wrote:From CBR July 28th, 2009:
CCI: J. Michael Straczynski
Straczynski also said that he is "doing another book which I've been told I can't talk about. So I can't say a word of what this book is until we get a proper announcement." Straczynski then started to shuffle papers at the dais while humming the theme to Richard Donner's "Superman". The audience cheered in response.

From The Source:
DCU IN 2010: WELCOME TO EARTH ONE

Alex Segura wrote:That major publishing event we mentioned earlier today? Well, here it is.

Original stories featuring Batman and Superman in graphic novel form from the biggest creators out there. But these aren’t one-offs. We’re talking ongoing series of OGNs in a new continuity, on a new Earth.

Sound appealing?

Starting next year, DC Comics will unveil SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE and BATMAN: EARTH ONE, two graphic novels spotlighting the most powerful heroes of the DC Universe, with their first years and earliest moments retold in a standalone, original graphic novel format, on a new earth with an all-new continuity.

What does JMS have to say? Well, here’s a snippet from his first interview on the subject:

“What I’m trying to do is to dig in to the character and look at him through modern eyes. If you were to create the Superman story today, for the first time, but keep intact all that works, what would it look like?”

“It is monumental for us as comic readers to see Superman birthed for the first time,” Davis said. “It’s a privilege to realize that you’re the artist that gets to draw it, better yet having the luxury to do it in an original graphic novel. This is going to be epic!”

***edit***
I didn't see the Earth One thread when I posted this. :oops:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:13 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:Corrected TheButcher's link.

thanks
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:41 am

As expected...

The Return of Bruce Wayne

Sounds awesome. Batman vs. History Itself! So fucking Morrison.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:05 pm

And apparently New Krypton has been building to...

This WAR OF THE SUPERMEN.

Wow, is that JG Jones cover the worst thing I have seen in a long time. Just terrible. Why must Superman always cry/yell? WHY?!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: DAYTRIPPER

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

BATMAN & ROBIN

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:12 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:54 pm

Marc Guggenheim will be taking over Action Comics in 2010.

Hmm.

I am a bit wary about this. Guggenheim did a fine job on the last few issues of the Flash: Fastest Man Alive, but that is about the limit to my exposure.

I will miss Rucka. He has done an excellent job with Nightwing and Flamebird.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

DCU in 2010: LEGACIES

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

DCU IN 2010: The Fall of Green Arrow

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:28 am

Leckomaniac wrote:And apparently New Krypton has been building to...

This WAR OF THE SUPERMEN.

Wow, is that JG Jones cover the worst thing I have seen in a long time. Just terrible. Why must Superman always cry/yell? WHY?!

Not only is the facial expression awful, the anatomy is weak and the costume is way off model. It looks more like George Reeves than anything else.
DennisMM

FANTASTIC FOUR #575

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:45 pm

From NEWSARAMA:
Exclusive Marvel Teaser - FANTASTIC FOUR #575
“THERE IS CHAOS IN THE UNDERWORLD.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Fraction and Romita's THOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Frank Miller's Project: XERXES

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:39 am

Frank Miller's prequel to 300!

From Hero Complex:
'Percy Jackson' and 'Clash of the Titans' draw on same Greek myths but with epic differences

Geoff Boucher wrote:Miller is preparing a follow-up now titled “Xerxes,” which begins about 10 years before the events of “300,” and Snyder has expressed interest in it as a film property as well. “It’s the battle of Marathon through my lens,” Miller said Wednesday. “I’ve finished the plot and I’m getting started on the artwork.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

JOE THE BARBARIAN

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:28 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Comicnerd on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:52 pm

Salutations all!

Just a heads up: Semantink just released the second of their (completely FREE) MYTHOI: Birth series, Vito. Check out the link and download at your whim. Peace!

http://www.semantink.com/page3/page4/page4.html

ENJOI MYTHOI!!
Less flash, more substance.
Comicnerd
GLIB

Re: JOE THE BARBARIAN

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Project Superpowers

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:53 am

From CBR:
THE GREEN ZONE: Paul Pelletier
The incoming artist for "Incredible Hulk" describes the free wheeling feel of his latest gig, explains how he landed on "Hulk" after his "War of Kings" assignment and gives us an exclusive look at "Fall of the Hulks" art.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Comic Book Rumors

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:22 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Comic Book Rumors

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:43 am

I doubt it would be Fraction or Brubaker so I have little interest. Millar is a hack and I can't really think of any MAJOR players at Marvel I would want right now. I am happy with what DC is working with at the moment.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:21 am

And the mystery creator is...

David Finch?!

Not exactly earth shattering.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Leckomaniac