Rick Veitch / Can't Get No

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Rick Veitch / Can't Get No

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:28 am

Can't Get No by Rick Veitch is released today stateside, I wondered if any other zoners are going to be acquiring and reading it ( I should get my copy Monday, so I will post a review then ). This has got some major buzz around it and it looks and sounds superb.

Corporate exec Chad Roe had the "perfect" modern life. But the trophy wife, the prestigious job and the pills have always threatened to overwhelm him, and things go from bad to ugly when one night of debauchery hits the sobering light of September 11, 2001.

Comics iconoclast Rick Veitch (SWAMP THING, Brat Pack) writes and illustrates a graphic novel as singular in its execution as it is in the events it portrays. Half the height of a standard comic, told in landscape format with over 350 pages of story, Can't Get No features Veitch inventing a poetry unique to the medium to tell the story of a man and nation torn by tragedy.

Reeling from the financial collapse of his business, Chad Roe descends into a night of depravity, only to wake up a "marked" man – literally – his body covered in a permanent tattoo. But Chad will be only one of the many whose lives are forever changed after that Tuesday morning of September 11, 2001. Instead of picking up the pieces, he takes to the road, heading straight into the shell-shocked heart of America on a desperate search for salvation.

Praise and a review -

"...supremely, magnificently strange, and like nothing else I've read."
— Neil Gaiman

"...one of the most remarkable achievements in recent comics history."
— Publishers Weekly

"Can't Get No is a smooth, magnetic yet intricate book, whose storyline, combined with the Hopperesque starkness and elegance of the artwork, is what they always called in the old days ' a good read.'"
— Ed Sanders (Tales of Beatnik Glory)

"...a remarkable allegorical tale."
— Library Journal

"Most impressive."
— Booklist

So? Despite the title, satisfaction is very much what you get from Rick Veitch's new graphic novel. This is a fascinating, dream-like look into the life of a man who's successful at business and wakes up one day to find his life falling apart. And then, 9/11 happens. Veitch has never shied away from big questions, and as such has produced some of the most thought-provoking and opinionated comics of the past 20 years. CAN'T GET NO continues that trend, telling a story with poem-like script and no dialogue. The art is excellent, as well, having all the qualities that make comic art compelling from excellent storytelling to images that can only be brought to life on the page. A quick but deep read, even at more than 300 pages, this is a top-notch book that likely will inspire, offend and confuse in equal amounts. What it is guaranteed to do is make you think and feel. Grade: A

I would be very interested to see what you US zoners think about this book, I hope some of you will make a comment.
Last edited by doglips on Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:34 am

I hate it when people leave the ends off of
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:21 am

That sounds very interesting DGO, I don't know if it will resonate with me the way it would with US zoners, but I'm buying 2 or 3 graphic novels a month so I'll put this on the list.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:32 am

Oh...another story about people whose "lives were changed forever by the events of September 11, 2001."

Because that's what we needed, by God.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:38 am

buster00 wrote:Oh...another story about people whose "lives were changed forever by the events of September 11, 2001."

Because that's what we needed, by God.

I wouldn't worry man, it's how it's told that's important, we still get WW2 movies afterall. If the stories are relevant and try to tell us something new I don't mind what it's about.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:47 am

I hope I'm not giving anyone the wrong idea. For me, it's all about The Healing Process. It's all about seeing America come together, united under one cause...learning how to laugh and love again in the face of overwhelming tragedy.

Now, who's up for some Holocaust jokes? They serve to remind us: This must never happen again.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:52 am

Do you think you will read the book Buster?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Theta on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:11 pm

buster00 wrote:Now, who's up for some Holocaust jokes? They serve to remind us: This must never happen again.

I was actually there, at a screening of "Night and Fog", when somebody asked how they managed to get those corpses to look so lifelike.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:13 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Do you think you will read the book Buster?

Actually, yeah. It looks good.

There's a preview of the interior here.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:07 pm

Now this looks interesting. And Veitch's art looks fantastic. I'll have to pick this up.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Ditto. Looks compelling. Thanks for the link <b>buster</b>.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby doglips on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:15 am

Apologies for my first rather overly enthusiastic review, I was on a high after reading this and had not really stepped back to refine my thoughts, I'll have another go!

Can't Get No is staggering, a beautiful piece of storytelling.

I've finished it three times already, yet I feel compelled to keep flicking through it, in case I have missed something.

I have not read a book like this for a long time, it has left me totally gobsmacked and completely in awe.

Veitch has tackled 911 in an extremely clever way. The shocking events and imagery that we witnessed are tackled and utilised, a couple of Veitch's own panels ( scenes that we could not have seen ) I actually found hard to look at. The book does not dwell on the day itself though, the set-up for our protagonist and the twin towers attack are all set out in the first third of the book. The other two thirds is given over to a road trip of completely bewildering occurrences, places and people. America has never been so surreal - it is this that makes the book so successful. Well, for me anyway - I felt totally disjointed from reality after the attacks, as if the world had stopped in the doldrums, confused and disillusioned. Had I actually just watched that on TV? WTF was going on? A totally surreal day. Reading this brought all those feelings flooding back.

Reading through this book is almost akin to being hypnotised. The art leads the narrative, the words embellish and evoke many different feelings. The imagery and text ( which is in the form of a downbeat lamenting poem ) on each page are almost at odds with each other but somehow they combine to make the pages wash over you, immersing you in Veitch's modern day fable. When & if you read it, I think you will understand what I mean.

The artwork is eye-achingly beautiful. Several panels nearly brought me to tears. ( spoilers! One set of panels, an almost ballet like choreographed scene that takes place inside the ruins of a giant John F Kennedy head, in a bicentennial park is drawn and inked in silhouettes so incredibly emotive, you can hardly believe your eyes ) The book is in a landscape A5 format, so each page is a postcard of beautifully illustrated thoughts and feelings.

You really have to read this book. If nothing else it's a book of 911 zeitgeist for future generations. I have not seen or read anything that has brought back so many of my specific feelings relating to September 11th as Can't Get No.

Hopefully some of you will pick this up and then we can discuss it further. I would love to hear what you all think.

10/10 - it's a very special Comic Book.
Last edited by doglips on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:51 pm

Nice interview with Veitch over at Newsarama

I want to read Army@Love now! Sounds and looks great........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:37 pm

He wrote a few issues of @qu@m@n!?!?!?

I might have to look those up.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books