BLANKETS

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

BLANKETS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:14 am

I just finished reading Craig Thompson's BLANKETS and I just had to start a thread about it.

This book had a profound impact on me. Very rarely do I get this invested in anything. I love art in all its forms: movies, paintings, comic books, novels. However, there are just certain things that grab a hold of you and put you through the emotional wringer so to speak. This book is one of those works.

It is an autobiographical tale that deals with childhood, first-love, growing up, and all that good stuff. Very simple stuff...but handled in a way that makes the book and the material stand out.

If you have not read it yet, I obviously recommend that you do.

Has anyone else read this? Did you enjoy it as much as I did?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:19 am

Why do you have to intentionally hurt me, Lecko? I thought we were tight.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:21 am

Kilgore wrote:Why do you have to intentionally hurt me, Lecko? I thought we were tight.

What did you not like BLANKETS? I understand it isn't for everyone. I mean its a graphic novel about life...not super-villains and all that jazz.

I am a sucker for this stuff though.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:22 am

You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:27 am

Well I mean I am consciously typing these posts...so I would have to say that, yes, I am doing it on purpose.

But not in a cynical sense.

Besides...with each post you are closer to AIRWOLF.

But honestly...you aren't a fan?

Maybe it is just the fact that I can totally relate to the story. I mean I had a little brother, felt completely alienated my entire life, and grew up in the midwest. The story hit eerily close to home.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:30 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Well I mean I am consciously typing these posts...so I would have to say that, yes, I am doing it on purpose.

But not in a cynical sense.

Besides...with each post you are closer to AIRWOLF.

But honestly...you aren't a fan?

Maybe it is just the fact that I can totally relate to the story. I mean I had a little brother, felt completely alienated my entire life, and grew up in the midwest. The story hit eerily close to home.

Now that I've given up on my quest, I will say 'thanks'...I'm going to check this out.

It's a graphic novel, right?
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:33 am

Yes it is.

I just now realized what you were trying to accomplish. I missed your "top fifteen" thread.

My apologies.

I hope you enjoy BLANKETS...it is a very enjoyable read. I picked it up because it recieved high praise from the guy who owns CHICAGO COMICS where I shop. The cover has praise from Neil Gaiman and Bendis.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:26 am

I stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago, Lecko, while browsing online for offbeat comics and such. Some of the things away from the traditional Superhero stuff like you say. I liked the look of it, it looks like a gorgeous book, and from what I can tell, it certainly seems to provoke deep reactions in people.

I'm kind of drawn to these one off pieces, from a single artist. There's something about having a large story to revel in, a stand alone piece of work from a single mind, it's somehow easier to become attatched to I think. It seems more personal than say, the convaluted production a film can often take. It feels a little more honest somehow.

I haven't had a chance to order it yet, as it has a lot of competition vying for a place in my basket, but I'll definately bump it up considering your thoughts.

Thanks for the lookout, man. I look forward to checking it out myself. :roll:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:45 am

I bought this book after I saw Adam mention it on a thread a few months ago, I'm glad I did.

It's an amazing book, for me personally, I can only illustrate it's ability to effect the emotions by comparing it to A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, if you read and loved that book, then Blankets is for you - the bonus is that this recount of childhood is accompanied by pages and pages of simply beautiful artwork. A must have book.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:08 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:I bought this book after I saw Adam mention it on a thread a few months ago, I'm glad I did.

It's an amazing book, for me personally, I can only illustrate it's ability to effect the emotions by comparing it to A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, if you read and loved that book, then Blankets is for you - the bonus is that this recount of childhood is accompanied by pages and pages of simply beautiful artwork. A must have book.

That is an excellent comparison. The thing I think I love the most about this book (Blankets) is that therer is so much love and detail given to the artwork. You can tell that its born out of a deep emotional place.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby benlid on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:29 pm

i loved Blankets. It made me cry. I guess the material hit close to home.. Beautiful stuff...
benlid
GLIB

Re: BLANKETS

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 29, 2010 4:01 am

BLANKETS!!! I finally bought this comic to see what all the hubbub was about!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 29, 2010 10:48 am

There's nothing flashy going on with Blankets, just a simple story with genuine heart, and it's affective as hell.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat May 29, 2010 12:40 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:There's nothing flashy going on with Blankets, just a simple story with genuine heart, and it's affective as hell.

You can really tell it is based on his own life. Theres no way you can be as specific as he is and not have it be mostly true.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 29, 2010 2:14 pm

So... no explosions then? :P
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:31 pm

This was really fantastic. The black-and-white pencils were beautiful; sometimes funny, sometimes sad, constantly visually inventive. And the story, while familiar territory, was told in such a personal way that it felt new. Don't be intimidated by the page count. And don't be intimidated if you're not really into comics, either. I seriously think anybody who likes books would like Blankets.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Ribbons wrote:This was really fantastic. The black-and-white pencils were beautiful; sometimes funny, sometimes sad, constantly visually inventive. And the story, while familiar territory, was told in such a personal way that it felt new. Don't be intimidated by the page count. And don't be intimidated if you're not really into comics, either. I seriously think anybody who likes books would like Blankets.

Really glad to read that you enjoyed it. BLANKETS is a favorite of mine.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Aye Lecko, thanks for the recommendation! 8-)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Comic Books