Y : The Last Man

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Pudie on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:07 pm

How is there not a topic on this yet?

Anyways...I started reading this comic nad I friggin love it. I just finishd Safe Word. It all actually reminds me a lot of Joss Whedon. Pop culture refereces, sharp wit, and Yorick is almost Xander like. The only thing I really haven't like is the Comedy&Tragedy arc. Didn't really add anything expcept for the face that a crazy ninja is hunting a monkey.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:10 pm

It is my wifes favorite comic. She even has Brian K. Vaughan on her Myspace. I cannot get her to read anything else. I buy them and she reads them...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: Y : The Last Man

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:22 pm

Pudie wrote:Didn't really add anything expcept for the face that a crazy ninja is hunting a monkey.

She's not crazy, and that's one special simian.

After the startling intro, I wasn't sure so sure about this. The whole Daughters of the Amazons thing just felt a bit forced, a bit too much. But I kept reading, kept falling down the rabbit hole, and then just tore through One Small Step, Safe World and Ring of Truth in one feverish night.

Maybe I only really like it 'cuz it adheres to my one dick per fantasy rule, maybe 'cuz I'm into lesbians, maybe 'cuz the art's so fucking hot...all I know is that I actually check Vertigo monthly to see when the next one's coming out, and I'm gonna miss it when it's done (pretty soon, I think).
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:16 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:It is my wifes favorite comic. She even has Brian K. Vaughan on her Myspace. I cannot get her to read anything else. I buy them and she reads them...

I can get my girlfriend to read Fables, but not much else.

I've read the first two trades of Y, and I should definitely be reading more. The comic dollar only goes so far, but I'll pick up at some point...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:24 pm

FUCKING GREAT COMIC! I ♡ Brian K. Vaughan.

I think there is a year left? ( or the end of this year, not sure )
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Pudie on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:25 pm

What issue is it on atm?

I cant imagine waiting between each issue. It would drive me mad.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:39 am

Pudie wrote:What issue is it on atm?

I cant imagine waiting between each issue. It would drive me mad.

atm?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Pudie on Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:51 am

at the moment
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:02 am

Dang! Learn something new...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:30 am

Pudie wrote:at the moment

#46.

and the waiting ain't easy...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:26 pm

Finished 47. Man this comic just gets better with each passing issue. It has it all. Monkeys, lesbians, and ninjas.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Theta on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:28 pm

Pudie wrote:Finished 47. Man this comic just gets better with each passing issue. It has it all. Monkeys, lesbians, and ninjas.

Sounds like my Saturday night.

Love this book, by the way.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:47 pm

I've just ordered a bunch of comicy (and not so comicy) bits and bobs, and for now anyway, I chose this for my first Brian K Vaughn fix. Might be a little while before I get my hands on it, but you guys have sung his praises most highly, so I'm really kinda looking forward to it.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:09 pm

I haven't read this book much. I'm beginning to think that I probably should. I'll try and make it a priority to pick up back issues whenever I go fishing for comics. Or wait for the inevitable trade. Does anyone know if Vaughan has a beginning, middle and end already planned?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:07 am

Ribbons wrote:I haven't read this book much. I'm beginning to think that I probably should. I'll try and make it a priority to pick up back issues whenever I go fishing for comics. Or wait for the inevitable trade. Does anyone know if Vaughan has a beginning, middle and end already planned?

Volumes 1-7 of the trade are available, with Volume 8 set for release in November.

It seems like I've read something about how Vaughan has some idea how he's going to end it when the time comes, but I might be thinking of someone/something else...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:47 pm

I've read a couple of issues, but did they ever reveal what caused all the men to die off? And why Yorick and his monkey survived?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:50 am

the cover for this week's (#58) is hauntingly prophetic. I'm torn; angry because 355 was singularly awesome, that after all the rigmarole we've been through...now? Like that?

but it's an earned death, it counts, it matters.

while it makes it worse (so much worse), it's effective.

it makes me wonder who's next, and really, really fuels my hatred of Alter. Vaughan won't make this easy, for anybody - I just fucking hope Alter dies, but I don't think it'll play out that way.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:12 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:the cover for this week's (#58) is hauntingly prophetic. I'm torn; angry because 355 was singularly awesome, that after all the rigmarole we've been through...now? Like that?

it makes me wonder who's next, and really, really fuels my hatred of Alter. Vaughan won't make this easy, for anybody - I just fucking hope Alter dies, but I don't think it'll play out that way.

Curse my inability to ignore tiny text!!!

I've been reading this in trades, so hopefully I'll forget what I just read by the time that collection rolls round.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:29 pm

When are the hardcovers coming?!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:31 pm

I wouldn't hold your breath. Vertigo doesn't do very many hardcovers...especially for ongoing series. Your best bet is to hope for an absolute edition somewhere down the line. Or just pick up the TPBs.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:35 pm

Damn. I got absolute sandman and I was just shocked how oversized it was. I mean, ye it said oversized but I was more thinking of ultimate x-men kinda hardcovers with a little sleeve but maaaaaaaaaaan it's huge. Like, it won't even fit on the frikkin shelf! Very cool though, nice leather. Still need to read the entire Y series. Popped in way to late then decided to wait for hardcover collections, like the runaways, but might pick up the trades now if vertigo pusses out of the releases.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:33 am

I just read the entire series over the past two days.
Amazing.

And the final issue was perfect.

Ampersand's death made me cry.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Fievel wrote:I just read the entire series over the past two days.
Amazing.

And the final issue was perfect.

Ampersand's death made me cry.

I posted similar thoughts in the BKV thread. It seems weird to have two threads that broach similar topics, but if you want to read my take head there.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Leckomaniac wrote: It seems weird to have two threads that broach similar topics, but if you want to read my take head there.

Well... the one is a all-encompassing BKV thread. I hadn't read any posts on this subject and when I searched for Y specifically, I got this one.

...I thought it was odd no one had posted here in months!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Fievel wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote: It seems weird to have two threads that broach similar topics, but if you want to read my take head there.

Well... the one is a all-encompassing BKV thread. I hadn't read any posts on this subject and when I searched for Y specifically, I got this one.

...I thought it was odd no one had posted here in months!

Yeah, I think the BKV thread is a sticky so people tend to post there most of the time. Same thing happened with the Runaways thread.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 am

I would say that, at its best, Y the Last Man makes Joss Whedon look like a poor man's Brian K. Vaughn.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:12 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re:

Postby instant_karma on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:56 am

instant_karma wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:the cover for this week's (#58) is hauntingly prophetic. I'm torn; angry because 355 was singularly awesome, that after all the rigmarole we've been through...now? Like that?

Curse my inability to ignore tiny text!!!

I've been reading this in trades, so hopefully I'll forget what I just read by the time that collection rolls round.

As it turns out, I did totally forget what I'd read here and stuff mentioned in the tiny text came as a complete shock.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Return to Comic Books