Official Superman Comics Thread

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: Official Superman Comics Thread

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:42 am

Drawing & Inking MAN OF STEEL: with Freddie Williams II
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:23 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Every Significant Superman Logo Infographic by The Geek Twins [Infographic]

ANDY DIGGLE To Sync 'Bright & Optimistic' ACTION with DCU
Vaneta Rogers wrote: In March, Andy Diggle and Tony Daniel take over Action Comics, bringing the title up-to-date with the rest of the DC Universe and more in sync with the other Super-titles.

And according to Diggle, the promo image DC released for Action Comics showing a darker Superman does not mean the character will be dark.

In fact, he told Newsarama he's "bright and optimistic."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:02 am

From Variety:
Victory for Warner Bros. in Superman case
Appellate court: Judge erred in siding with Siegel heir
A federal appeals court has ruled in favor of Warner Bros. over control of the rights to the Superman character -- paving the way for the studio to continue making Superman movies after "Man of Steel" opens this summer.

The decision follows a ruling by a federal judge in October to deny the heirs of Superman's other co-creator, Joseph Shuster, from reclaiming rights to the Man of Steel. In that decision, Judge Otis Wright asserted that a 1992 pact prevents the family from exercising an aspect of copyright law that allows authors to recapture their works -- meaning that Warner Bros. and subsidiary DC Comics would not have to seek permission from the estates of the co-creators of Superman as the studio pursues future projects.

The ruling removes a potential obstacle to using Superman in its all-star superhero project, "Justice League,." based on the WB-controlled stable of DC Comics superheroes.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Man Of Steel Reboot/Free Comic Book Day 2013

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:38 am

Scott Snyder on Batman, ‘Rotworld’ and American Vampire’s hiatus
Tom Bondurant wrote:Tom Bondurant:
I have one question about Superman: basically, we’ve all seen the Man of Steel trailer by this point, [so] how does that compare to what you guys have planned?

Scott Snyder:
[laughs] Well, I don’t know! The trailer is so intriguing and exciting, you know, but I also, I don’t know. I can’t tell from it what a lot of the major beats are, thankfully. I wouldn’t want to know ahead of time. So I can say that [...] we’re going to be introducing a new villain, and we’re going to be trying to do the biggest and most epic Superman story we can! So you’ll see the supporting cast — you’ll see Lana, and Lois, and Lex, and Jimmy and Perry. The story itself is really going to put Superman against a threat that will kind of shake him to his core psychologically and emotionally. We’re really really proud of it and Jim is doing incredible work on it. So we can’t wait for you guys to see it!

Snyder and Lee’s Man of Steel gets Free Comic Book Day preview

DC Presents Superman For Free Comic Book Day
Steve Younis wrote:DC Comics has revealed that their 2013 Gold Edition title for Free Comic Book Day 2013 will be a spotlight on Superman.

SUPERMAN: THE LAST SON OF KRYTON #1 is a great jumping-on point for fans who can't wait to see Warner Bros. Pictures' "MAN OF STEEL" major motion picture! This issue features the first chapter of the SUPERMAN: LAST SON OF KRYPTON graphic novel, written by Richard Donner and Geoff Johns and illustrated by Andy Kubert and featuring Superman's epic battle with General Zod and the Phantom Zone villains.

In addition, it includes a special sneak preview of the blockbuster new monthly series starring The Man of Steel by the all-star team of Scott Snyder and Jim Lee!

While a preview of Scott Snyder and Jim Lee's upcoming "Man of Steel" comic book title is a great inclusion, I'm not really sure why DC would use a reprint of a chapter from the "Last Son of Krypton" story from 2006 as their 2013 Free Comic Book Day offering. I understand that it features Zod, who is obviously a major part of the upcoming "Man of Steel" movie, but how does this help new readers get into comic books when the continuity this story is set in doesn't exist any more? Are DC that desparate to shift copies of the "Superman: The Last Son of Krypton" trade paperback collection they need to offer the first chapter for free to entice readers to pick up the entire story? Odd...

Free Comic Book Day will be held on May 4.
Visit FreeComicBookDay.com for further details.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:03 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 pm

DC Confirms Andy Diggle’s Departure From Action Comics
Rich Johnston wrote:Yesterday, Bleeding Cool reportedthat Andy Diggle had walked off Action Comics. Today he tweeted;
Sadly, I’ve decided to walk away from Action Comics for professional reasons.

He continued;

It was the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make, especially with Superman’s 75th anniversary and Man of Steel on the horizon. But it was the right decision. No regrets. Onwards! Sincere thanks to Matt Idelson for inviting me to follow Grant Morrison on Action Comics. I hope we still get to work together someday. Thank you to all the fans who’ve expressed their enthusiasm in anticipation of my run. I wish nothing but the best of luck to whichever new creative team picks up the red boots and cape. Meanwhile find me on DOCTOR WHO for @IDWPublishing, THIEF OF THIEVES for @Skybound, UNCANNY for @DynamiteComics and SNAPSHOT at @ImageComics”

DC’s PR guy Alex Segura has tweeted more.
Regarding ACTION COMICS - artist Tony Daniel will be expanding his role and taking over as writer and artist for the remainder of the arc.

Which is one way of saying it. Ironically, all today’s DCU titles have a preview extolling Andy Diggle and Tony Daniel’s upcoming run on the book…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:22 am

COMICS: Now Tony Daniel Leaves ACTION COMICS; Working On Another "Massive Project" At DC
Tony Daniel wrote:Yes, many have heard, Andy Diggle left Action Comics after the first issue. I can only say I feel bad he made that decision. I think it was the wrong one, but that was his choice to make. For the remainder of the arc I'll be working off his plots to finish out this first arc. So essentially, I become 'scripter' in the credits w/ Andy as 'plotter.' As for myself, I end my short run after I complete this first arc, which ends with issue 21. This was preplanned since last fall as there is another project I'll be taking on, and assisting with, a massive project with DC. I still think people will like this arc and I'm staying as true as I can be to Andy's plans for this story. In the end I hope he'll find it somewhat recognizable as something he took part in.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:26 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:32 am

Word Balloon Podcast Super Centric Talk With Rags Morales and Elliot S Maggin. The Digital Market With Monkeybrain Comics Allison Baker And Chris Roberson
john siuntres wrote:Download The MP3 Here More Superman talk as the 75th anniversary year of the Big Blue's debut continues. Rags morales tells us what went into the design of Superman's new look for the New 52 Action Comics relaunch. We discuss Rags whole run on the book with Grant Morrison as the final arc comes to it's climax.

Then Elliot S! Maggin joins us to talk about his take and long history with the character that started in the 1970's and included two Superman novels LAST SON OF KRYPTON and MIRACLE MONDAY. Elliot has thoughts on today's comics and what he's seen so far from The Man Of Steel Trailer

We wrap up checking in with Allison Baker & Chris Roberson , who give us an update on Monkeybrain Comics and the Digital Market.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:36 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Superman's 75th Anniversary

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:04 pm

CBR 04-18-2013:
Superman At 75: Dan Jurgens Reflects On The Man of Steel
75 years ago today, the very first issue of "Action Comics" rolled off the printers and introduced Superman to the world. Though the character had lived in the minds of creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster for years before that, the date is as good as any to celebrate the Man of Steel's legacy as a character in and out of the comics.

CBR has been marking the occasion all day with features including Comics Should Be Good's reader-driven countdown of the 75 Greatest Superman Stories of All Time and Mark Waid's personal Superman trivia test. But it wouldn't be fitting to discuss the legacy of Siegel and Shuster's hero without speaking to some of the creators who have kept him alive in print all these years, starting with cartoonist Dan Jurgens.

A writer and artist with an unparalleled resume in mainstream comics, Jurgens is perhaps still best identified by his work on Superman in the 1990s. He was the longest defining creative force in an era that brought Superman into the modern day with massive storylines like "Panic In The Sky" and, of course, "The Death of Superman" and its subsequent "Reign of the Supermen" tale. Comic Book Resources spoke to Jurgens about his own history with the Man of Steel and how the character's legacy with another iconic artist made taking on the task of drawing the comic a daunting one, why a focus on Superman's humanity is paramount in making the character work in any era and what it will take to move the hero beyond 75 years. And stay tuned tomorrow for more talk with some of Superman's iconic creative forces.

Best Art Ever (This Week) - Superman 75th Anniversary Edition
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri May 24, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 23, 2013 3:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MAN OF STEEL DAY

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 24, 2013 1:22 am

DC Entertainment Declares June 12 'Man of Steel' Day at Comic Book Retailers and Bookstores Across the U.S.
In celebration of the summer’s most eagerly anticipated film, DC Entertainment is partnering with comic book retailers and bookstores across America to declare Wednesday, June 12 MAN OF STEEL DAY, ahead of the film’s wide release on Friday, June 14. Sponsored by Sears, those visiting their local comic book retailers on MAN OF STEEL DAY will receive a free copy of ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1 SPECIAL EDITION comic book by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly.

In addition to the free comic, DC Entertainment has partnered with Warner Bros. to provide comic shops with various MAN OF STEEL promotional posters and bags to get fans geared up for the film’s release.

Fans who visit comic stores on MAN OF STEEL DAY can also purchase the first issue of red-hot new comic series, SUPERMAN UNCHAINED, from bestselling creators Scott Snyder and Jim Lee. The series promises to elevate the already high-flying hero to new heights as he faces off against foes familiar and new. SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1 includes a bonus two-sided, tipped-in poster measuring approximately 11” x 18” that can be easily removed for display.

“Comic fans and moviegoers have made it very clear that they are eagerly awaiting the arrival of MAN OF STEEL in theaters and we’re excited to offer our retailer partners a chance to celebrate the occasion and tap into fan’s enthusiasm,” stated John Cunningham, vice president of marketing, DC Entertainment.

Also available at comic retail locations is DC Collectibles’ all-new line of 12” MAN OF STEEL statues that capture the film’s characters, Superman, Jor El, Zod and Faora, in stunning, highly-realistic likenesses. The line is already a top seller for DC Collectibles, further demonstrating retailer and fan excitement for MAN OF STEEL.

Continuing the celebration around the film’s release, DC Entertainment has partnered with Random House to bring MAN OF STEEL to libraries across the U.S. on Saturday, June 15. More than 1,000 local libraries will offer visitors buttons, bookmarks and Superman comics.

On the digital front, ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1 will also be available for free download, courtesy of Sears, and the “Superman 201” digital comics sale kicks off on June 12 at http://www.readdcentertainment.com, the DC Comics app, and all digital platforms (comiXology, Kindle, iBookstore, Nook). The sale offers hundreds of acclaimed Superman titles like SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW by Brian Azzarello and Jim Lee, SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT by Mark Waid and Leinil Yu – all for $.99 each.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 24, 2013 1:27 am

Comic Book Resources:

In Your Face Jam: I Finally Care About Superman

After having previously declared his lack of interest in comic books' most iconic character, Brett confesses he's had a change of heart when it comes to Superman.

Brett White wrote:I finally care about Superman.

Regular readers of the JAM might recall that I didn't always feel that way. Last December I wrote about my lack of interest in the prototypical superhero following "Man of Steel's" first trailer. My critique of that first trailer still stands, and that critique is essential to why I think I've finally come around. In comparison to the first trailer, which left me sure we were going to get a grim and gritty, hopeless Superman movie, the last two trailers have completely changed my mind. The Hans Zimmer score, the scope, the adventure, the character -- everything I did not know I wanted from Superman has been encapsulated in these trailers.

This was never more evident than in the few times I've gone to the movie theater this month. Before both "Iron Man 3" and "Star Trek Into Darkness," the parade of trailers did nothing but bum me out. It seems like the main selling point of every big blockbuster this summer is just how awful humanity or the future is. Seeing trailers for "Elysium," "World War Z" and "After Earth" back to back to back just left me feeling void of hope. Why are we so big on apocalypses all of a sudden?

And then comes the opening piano bit of Hans Zimmer's new Superman theme from last month's trailer, a trailer with actual hope in it. That's the one thing I've learned to find in Superman: hope. I know that's ridiculously cheesy, and maybe it says something about how exhausted I kind of am with pop culture at the moment, but show me footage of a man flying and saving people to an uplifting, percussive score and you will move me to tears. Just saying.

But the new trailer hasn't been the only thing to help me change my mind. Like I said before, I do believe that a reader can grow to like just about any character if given the right stories. I believe that to be true because I found my magic combo of Superman stories: "Superman: Birthright," "Superman: Secret Identity" and "All-Star Superman." I'd even go so far as to say that this trio of stories could easily convert anyone who thought Superman was as boring as I used to.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Warner Bros., DC Unveil Superman Anniversary Logo, Promise Zack Snyder Short (Exclusive)
It's the start of a year-long branded effort as "Man of Steel," comic books, and the video game "Infinite Crisis" roll out.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:09 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:45 am

Kneel Before 4-Page Preview of 'Action Comics: Zod' (Exclusive)
Having reminded moviegoers of his existence in this summer's Man of Steel, General Zod has taken advantage of DC's Villains Month to steal an issue of Action Comics for himself to tell his origin story -- and we have four exclusive preview pages for you to enjoy.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Superman 75 Short to Premiere at NYCC, Will Air on Cartoon Network Next Week
Spencer Perry wrote:Remember that "Superman 75" short that we talked about a few months ago? It is finally going to screen! "Superman 75" will debut this Saturday at the Superman 75th Celebration panel at New York Comic Con and will air on Cartoon Network Wednesday, October 16th, 2013 at 6:58pm ET. The short will also be available on the DVD and Blu-ray of Man of Steel this November (via World's Finest).

Conceived as being one continous shot, the short is said to "pay homage" to all the versions of Superman over the years including Max Fleischer's cartoons, on-screen portrayals by George Reeves and Christopher Reeve, iconic versions drawn by artists Wayne Boring, Curt Swan and Neal Adams, on up through Henry Cavill’s interpretation in Man of Steel.

Man of Steel director Zack Snyder directed the short with help from Batman: The Animated Series co-creator Bruce Timm and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns director and Man of Steel storyboard artist Jay Oliva, as well as DC’s Geoff Johns and Mike Carlin and WB Animation’s Peter Girardi.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:53 am

Honestly I couldn't care less about Superman, but this is pretty badass.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Seems to be very respectful - from this Marvel guy.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:23 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Death and Return of Superman

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:40 am

Comic Vine February 6, 2013:
Interview: Grant Morrison on ACTION COMICS, MULTIVERSITY & the Death of Superman
Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero wrote:CV: Will we get answers about the mention of Superman's first death, Doomsday or the statue with Superman's pre-New 52 costume?

GM:
All those things, I wanted to show that they had happened. I didn't think it was actually important to show the actual event. I think it's important for Superman's origin to show that he once died. If some other writer down the line wants to tell the story, it's theirs to tell. This story is more about suggesting what went wrong and moving forward it's showing a situation where he's facing something even worse than Doomsday.

Did DEATH OF SUPERMAN Happen In the NEW 52? SOULE on That Question & NEW DOOMSDAY Event
Vaneta Rogers wrote: Losing his Justice League seat to Lex Luthor isn't the only big thing coming for Superman in April. Readers will also find out what happens in the New 52 when Superman battles Doomsday.

And no… readers shouldn't be so sure that Superman has already been killed by the villain.

Charles Soule, writer of Superman/Wonder Woman, indicates that the previous mentions of Superman's "death" at the hands of Doomsday in the New 52 were misleading (and the quotes around "death" are his). He implies that Superman's revamped mega-fight with Doomsday isn't in the past of the New 52, but might actually be in the universe's future.

In a storyline that begins in Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, and Superman, the Super-writers are re-shaping the battles between Doomsday and Superman. Soule is working on the Doomsday story with Superman writer Scott Lobdell and Action Comics writer Greg Pak.

(It's worth noting that Chronicle screenwriter Max Landis, who's writing a digital Adventures of Superman story for DC, revealed last year that he was approached by DC to work with Pak on a weekly, year-long series to reboot the death and return of Superman. He declined the opportunity, but you can see him explain it at right here.)

Soule also indicates that the story will cross through the Superman universe, involving other characters, and will lead into this summer's plans for Superman.

"Superman's due for a real, big, universe-shattering story, and this is certainly that," Soule said.

Readers have already seen a very cryptic sequence related to a "prophesy" about the battle between Doomsday and Superman in the New 52 — as told in Pak's Batman/Superman #3.1: Doomsday, which was part of September's Villains Month.

Although that sequence wasn't necessarily factual — because it was only a story told by Zor-El to his daughter on Krypton — readers were shown that other heroes "rise" to take Superman's place after his death, including Supergirl, Power Girl, Superboy and Steel.

Since that September issue, Doomsday has been playing a role in Superman/Wonder Woman, which was launched in October. Soule showed a fight between Doomsday and Wonder Woman, and has featured the mystery of the villain's appearance at the center of his new series.
Batman/Superman #3.1: Doomsday

Soule, who's also working on Red Lanterns and Swamp Thing for DC (along with several titles at other publishers), talked to Newsarama about what we can expect from the upcoming Superman story with Doomsday, and whether he and other writers are shaping a new version of the "Death and Return of Superman."

Death And Return Of Superman Pitch by Max Landis
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Death and Reboot of Superman

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:34 am

Superman Gets 'Doomed' in May

Graeme McMillan wrote:Before Superman gets to his relaunch at the hands of DC Entertainment's chief creative officer Geoff Johns and newly signed artists John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson, he has one final villain to deal with. Sadly, it's the one who killed him two decades earlier.

Graeme McMillan wrote:Although the plot of the storyline remains under wraps for the most part, solicitation information for those issues suggest that Superman will transform into … something, while Lois Lane will continue her own transformation as her latent psychic powers come to the fore once more. Are we going to see Superman turning into a Doomsday himself, with Lois having to defeat a super-monster?

Launching with the one-off release Superman: Doomed #1 by Scott Lobdell, Greg Pak, Charles Soule and artist Ken Lashley in May, the storyline continues through that month's issues of Superman, Action Comics and Superman/Wonder Woman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Death and Reboot of Superman

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:47 am

EXCLUSIVE: Klaus Janson Discusses DC Return, Working with Johns, Romita Jr. on "Superman"
Jeffrey Renaud wrote:Earlier this month, DC Comics made the blockbuster announcement that Geoff Johns, John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson are the incoming creative team on the "Superman" monthly series.

In his first interview since the announcement, Janson spoke with CBR News exclusively about the newest landmark in the artist's already legendary career. During our discussion, the award-winning penciler, inker and colorist spoke passionately about his love for the Man of the Steel, his craft and what it means to be collaborating with Johns and Romita. He also shared his thoughts on the upcoming 30th anniversary of "The Dark Knight Returns," the four-issue miniseries he illustrated with Frank Miller.

Currently teaching sequential storytelling at the School of Visual Arts in New York City, Janson also looked back on his personal history with Superman, which includes reading comics featuring the Man of Steel as a young boy after moving to the United States from Germany, watching "The Adventures of Superman" television series starring George Reeves and drawing the story "The Living Legends of Superman: Chapter Seven" for "Superman" #400 in 1984.

What can you tell us about the Superman that you, John and Geoff are going to unleash in the summer of 2014? Thanks to the New 52, this is obviously a younger version of the character, but can you talk about specifics regarding his suit or the look and feel of his overall appearance?

At this point in the process, we haven't nailed down any final decisions on the look that we are going for just because we are still at a very early stage. There is an organic development that generally happens where the characters determine their own visuals, and that occurs only after drawing those characters a lot. It's akin to what writers talk about when they say that the characters write their own stories after a while. With the art side of things, we will know what Superman looks like after having penciled and inked him for a while.

Does the suit look more like armor or does it look more like cloth? I don't think we know the answer to that yet, so you'll have to hang around and see what happens like the rest of us.

EXCLUSIVE: Superman is "Doomed" in May Crossover Event
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SUPERMAN: DOOMED

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:59 am

Greg Pak Promises 'SUPERMAN: DOOMED' is Not 'Death of Superman' Redux

Vaneta Rogers wrote:
In the New 52, instead of Superman dying at the hands of Doomsday, the battle between the two powerhouses looks like it will result in something very different.

If covers are any indication, Superman will change into… well… another Doomsday?

The "Superman: Doomed" crossover, which kicks off in April's Action Comics #30, is taking several of DC's Super-books toward the beginning of summer by matching the hero with the villain that killed him in the previous continuity.

To clarify, when DC rebooted its universe in 2011, the now legendary "Death of Superman" storyline was, apparently, wiped from existence. And although previous hints in Action Comics (and statements from DC executives) had indicated the hero died in the rebooted New 52 universe, it now looks like that might not have happened after all.

And although the "Doomed" storyline will definitively show what happens when Superman battles Doomsday in the New 52, the creators behind the storyline are emphasizing that, although there are elements that harken back to the "Death of Superman" storyline, "Superman: Doomed" is not "retelling" that story.

That became obvious this week, when DC's May solicitations for "Superman: Doomed" emphasized that Superman would be changing after his confrontation with Doomsday — and apparently, not dying. And while there is a "Men of S.T.E.E.L." team involved in the story (made up of Metallo, Ghost Soldier, Atomic Skull and Steel), they don't seem to be replacing a dead Superman.

Newsarama first talked to Superman/Wonder Woman writer Charles Soule to get the earliest details about the "Doomed" event, then our interview with Superman writer Scott Lobdell revealed that the "Doomed" story continues through his last issue, Superman #31. (Lobdell said the new Superman creative team of Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. take over with June's issue #32.)

Now we're sharing our interview with Greg Pak (which was conducted before the release of May solicitations) to find out a few more clues about the "Superman: Doomed" storyline.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:31 pm

11 Of The Best Stories From DC Digital’s ‘Adventures of Superman’ Anthology
Matt D. Wilson wrote:Only Child

Written by Ron Marz
Art by Evan “Doc” Shaner
Colors by Matthew Wilson
Buy Link

Take one part The Iron Giant and one part Silver Surfer, throw them together with Superman’s origin, and you get this story, which combines a charming, Silver-Age appeal with some sophisticated modern storytelling that packs a real emotional punch. Shaner’s art strikes a great balance between Art Deco past and a high-tech, alien future, which again, gives the whole endeavor a timeless vibe. This is a rare occasion in which Superman suffers a genuine loss, but one that feels totally earned. For what it manages to accomplish, this may be my favorite story of the series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:27 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:36 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:10 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:19 am

Earth 2 Gets New Superman, Too
Lucas Siegel wrote:And hey, that’s not all for Earth 2! In the pages of its own series, Val-Zod, the recently revealed “lost Kryptonian,” dons the S-Shield and becomes the all-new all-different Superman of Earth 2. The character was already seen in costume during the announcement of October’s World’s End weekly, but this is the first time he’s wearing it chronologically/in continuity.

Val has had an interesting journey so far, being trained in the use of his powers by Earth’s foremost expert in Kryptonians: Lois Lane (in the robotic body of Red Tornado, of course). Now in July he’s putting on the shield and taking on the original Superman, complete with new Darkseid-y powers. Good luck, kid.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:19 am

CBR:
SDCC: Superman’s New Journey
Shaun Manning wrote:Neal Adams’ “The Coming of the Supermen” launches in December. But Adams said, “I want to know about the Max Landis thing – do you know who his father is?” Adams began.

“That’s how I always want to be introduced,” Landis said. “Imagine your father, as you knew him as a kid, and random strangers coming up to you and said ‘I love your dad.!’”

Adams said his six-issue miniseries will feature “all of Jack Kirby’s characters fighting Superman; beginning with Kalibak.” He concluded saying that "someone's stolen Superman's blood," to nefarious purpose.

Pak and Kuder's "Action Comics" will deal with Superman's new physical vulnerability with the loss of some of his powers, as well as the emotional impact. "For Clark, everything's falling down around his ears." Pak also clarified that Yang's four-issue "Truth" storyline takes place before the "Action" issues; each of Superman's titles take place at a different time.

“He could do a million things back in the day, but now he’s just a dude – but he’s still Superman,” Pak said. “He’s still going to try to do the right thing and stick up for the people who need sticking up for.” The writer noted, however, that he won’t always get it right.

For “Batman/Superman,” which Pak is also writing, Scott Snyder’s shake-up in the Batman titles also leads to a new dynamic, with Jim Gordon taking over as the Dark Knight.

Heath Corson talked about “Bizarro,” which has Jimmy Olsen taking Superman’s imperfect double on a road trip to Canada. “Jimmy agrees to it because he thinks he’ll get a coffee table book out of it; Bizarro just wants friends.” In an upcoming issue, Jimmy and Bizarro will see Zatanna perform, “and Bizarro realizes he can understand what she’s saying. So he becomes a very powerful backwards-speaking magician.”

Next up, Landis talked about three Ryan Sook images on the screen, one of a young brooding boy, then a teenager’s mugshot, then a young playboy surrounded by women – all Clark Kent. The book is called “Superman: American Alien.”

“For those who are not aware of me, my father is Stephen Spielberg,” Landis said, before talking about his previous Superman comics, including an “Superman Adventures” story involving the Joker.

“I’ve wanted to write a Superman comic my entire life, and I’m surprised that DC is letting me write the one I wanted to write.”

He described “American Alien” as “the anti-‘All Star Superman.’” “That connected with everything that was mythic, and bright … and I couldn’t compete with that.”

The seven stories are “stories Clark might tell you if you were having a beer with him,” and only three of them involve Superman. “Clark Kent is a guy from Kansas that you might know, and no one knows that he’s Superman.”

The artists are Nick Dragotta, Jock, Francis Manapul, Jae Lee, Joëlle Jones, cover artist Ryan Sook, and more.

Landis said he also tried to write the most violent Superman fight. “You know in Game of Thrones, Hound vs. Brienne? I have a scene like that, Superman vs. Lobo – somebody tried to eye gauge and gets his thumbs blown off,” Landis said.

Asked about the Joker, Landis said, “the thing I find interesting about him is he’s putting himself in a ridiculous amount of danger,” and the Joker’s disregard for this is “kind of sexy.” He spoke about a story he’d like to do where Joker tries to kill Harley “but isn’t really into it,” so they go on a road trip “and have a great time.” But returning to Gotham, it’s back to business as usual.

Talking about Superman films, Adams said, “I’m sick of Zod; I want Braniac, I want Darkseid.”

“Do the movie guys read the comics? No! They’re doing a new Superman movie, they need a bad guy… they watch an old Superman movie,” he said. “No! Read Jack Kirby!”

The quipping led eventually to Landis pitching a “Dumbledore Zod” story. “What if Zod was in love with Jor-El on Krypton?” he said, and was angry that Jor-El “had a kid with some random chick.” “Have you ever loved someone so much you wanted to END THE WORLD?”

Asked whether Netflix-like “binge” schedules would work for comics, Corson pointed out that “when I binge ‘Orange is the New Black,’ I have to wait a year for more.”

Speaking of the appeal of writing the character, Pak., who is half Korean-American, spoke about “passing,” which he said is also “something Superman had done all his life.”

When he got the “Bizarro” gig, Corson said he remembered dressing as Superman as a kid, but when he found the picture, “I’d put the S on in the mirror… so it was backwards,” he said. “Me am Bizarro!”

Landis said there was an appeal “in the hyper vulnerability of an invulnerable character,” saying he doesn’t think Superman “has any scale” of his amazing abilities. “When he looks in the mirror, he doesn’t hear [the ‘Superman’ theme song] … he hears nothing, except the things you hear when you look in the mirror.”

“I think everyone has a Kryptonite; that’s why it’s become a metaphor for human weakness.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

“The Anti-‘All Star Superman’”

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:54 am

SDCC: Max Landis Pens "Superman: American Alien" Comic
Kiel Phegley wrote:Amidst talk of the Man of Steel's overall future at Comic-Con International at San Diego, DC Comics today announced a Superman collaboration with screenwriter Max Landis and a number of artists will arrive this November. The seven-part "Superman: Alien American" will explore single stories from across the life of Clark Kent as drawn by Jock, Nick Dragotta, Tommy Lee Edwards, Jöelle Jones, Jae Lee, Francis Manapul and Jonathan Case. Covers will be by Ryan Sook.

A longtime comics fan, Landis came to fame for co-writing the screenplay for the superhero-inspired "Chronicle" with director Josh Trank. He also famously filmed and released his own drunken take on the '90s crossover "The Death & Return of Superman."

The screenwriter has been rumored to be working on a project with DC involving the Man of Steel for quite some time and recently wrote an issue of the digital-first "Adventures of Superman." "Alien American" marks his first larger work for the publisher.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Coming of the Superman

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:58 am

SDCC: Neal Adams Takes On Krypton With "Coming of The Supermen"
Kiel Phegley wrote:He drew some of the most iconic covers in Superman history, and today at Comic-Con International in San Diego, DC Comics announced that Neal Adams would return to the Man of Steel's world for a new six-part series.

Titled "Coming of the Superman," the book will feature the cast of Jack Kirby's Fourth World from Darkseid to Kalibak. In order to fight the threat, Superman must recruit an army from the Bottle City of Kandor -- changed from its classic Silver Age form into a New Krypton where Superman is little more than a legend.

The book will be written and drawn by Adams as his two-part "Batman: Odyssey" series was a few years ago. Similar to that, "Coming of the Supermen" is expected to work in various pieces of its hero's mythos like Lex Luthor. Issue #1 arrives in November.

CBR:
SDCC: Superman’s New Journey
Shaun Manning wrote:Adams said his six-issue miniseries will feature “all of Jack Kirby’s characters fighting Superman; beginning with Kalibak.” He concluded saying that "someone's stolen Superman's blood," to nefarious purpose.

#056 studly Man on Batman #056: Neal Adams Takes Us on a Batman Odyssey
Feb 10, 2014 - In the studly Cave this week! Living Legend Neal Adams tells us how he draws the Dark Knight, breaks down some of his iconic covers, and tells us all about his return to Gotham with BATMAN: ODYSSEY. Part 3 of 3
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:08 am

YANG & ROMITA, JR. EXPOSE LOIS LANE IN NEW "SUPERMAN" ARC "BEFORE TRUTH"
JEFFREY RENAUD wrote:The first arc of Eisner Award winner Gene Luen Yang and living legend John Romita, Jr.'s "Superman" took flight today. However, rather than presenting readers with the next chapter of "Truth," the creative team is telling the story behind the story running through DC Comics' Superman-led titles.

At the heart of the hero's new status quo lies the fact that Lois Lane has revealed to the world that the Man of Steel and Clark Kent are one and the same. In "Superman," Yang and Romita, Jr. will show how the Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter discovered the secret, and why it makes perfect sense that she shared it with, well, everyone.

Yang and Romita shared with CBR News that the arc is partially inspired by Edward Snowden and the WikiLeaks scandal, illustrating how the slow burn of the truth is vitally relevant to today's storytellers. The writer also explained that no one is safe from the storytellers, and that the faceless/voiceless character leaving Clark texts with anonymous news tips should be considered dangerous for reasons even beyond the obvious.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:34 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Comic Books