Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Season Eight"

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Season Eight"

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:40 am

Linky

I can't wait for this series to hit. I'm so fucking Whedon-starved it ain't funny. And it's Buffy to boot!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:45 am

Here's hoping that the comic can somehow wash away the unbelievable stink of S6/S7 and go back to the good old days (the arc of S5, the fun of S3, the drama of S2.)
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:37 am

I think Seasons Six and Seven smell just fine.

Really love the cover image. I'm way excited for this, if only because it's Joss writing another comic.

Fuck. Yeah.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:42 am

Eh. Different strokes I guess.

Luckily for me the comic medium doesn't have actors who've given up acting (SMG), or crap effects (cough - those crappy Ubervamps), so they can tell whatever stories they want restriction free.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:48 pm

As long as Spike isn't a major player in this series, I'll be happy. And I know that this takes place while he was supposedly in L.A., but you never know. I wonder if Angel's war is going to affect things down the line?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Ooooooooh!!!!

I missed this....

Anyone know how far off we should be expecting to see this out??
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:52 pm

I think it hits after summer in September or October.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:53 pm

athenabodicea wrote:Ooooooooh!!!!

I missed this....

The link said as early as Oct or as late as next Feb. I want it as soon as possible!

In truth, I'd rather just have a direct pipeline into Joss Whedon's head. Then I could watch the Buffyverse in it's true glory.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:56 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:Ooooooooh!!!!

I missed this....

The link said as early as Oct or as late as next Feb. I want it as soon as possible!

In truth, I'd rather just have a direct pipeline into Joss Whedon's head. Then I could watch the Buffyverse in it's true glory.

I have to remember to look for this....
I should mark it on my calendar or soomething... :?

Good to see you Lyra :)
How have you been???
Last edited by athenabodicea on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:56 pm

Chilli wrote:Here's hoping that the comic can somehow wash away the unbelievable stink of S6/S7 and go back to the good old days (the arc of S5, the fun of S3, the drama of S2.)

My thought as well.

In any case, someone get this to us as soon as possible.
Real curious...
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 pm

RogueScribner wrote:As long as Spike isn't a major player in this series, I'll be happy. And I know that this takes place while he was supposedly in L.A., but you never know. I wonder if Angel's war is going to affect things down the line?

He's hinted that we will find out what happened to the folks in the alley at the end of Angel. We already know Angel and Spike lived, as they both had comic series pick up after the series ended.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:57 pm

more scythe makes me happy.

and I can concur with the article...I loved Joss's first run of AXM, but Fray is the best comic he's ever written.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:10 pm

Some Buffy comic news...it looks like the new series is scheduled to begin in March. The first arc will be 4 issues long and an old nemesis will reappear...but details are hard to come by. You can find the story here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:11 pm

ANGELUS!
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Dracula, maybe?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:53 am

HARMONY!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:58 am

LIFE!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:04 am

You just earned bonus points for that one, KCBC. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:07 am

What's the deal with this movie, there are vampires, or something...?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:08 am

Not vampires, UMPIRES. And they're disgruntled to boot!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:20 pm

Hellmouth Central has an interview with artist Georges Jeanty up HERE. Decent read, answers some questions about what to expect.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Vicar on Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:16 pm

March now?
Okay.
Waiting.
The Vicar

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:03 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Not vampires, UMPIRES. And they're disgruntled to boot!

Yup...they continue to feel undermined by today's over-excessive reliance on TV Replays, until finally one day, the dam bursts....its a cross-over series with Sports Illustrated, apparently.

Buffy without SMG's arrogant indifference and Nicholas Brendon's whiny "acting through the nose for beginners" tone?

I'm in....
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:53 am

Buffy's Back!

Exclusive First Look: Joss Whedon chats with EW's Jeff Jensen about his new ''Vampire Slayer'' comic -- and shows off a few panels!

EW wrote:So where does the comic find [Buffy]?

''Not so much with the freedom,'' quips Whedon. ''Not that everything is dire and angsty and season six-y, But she's dealing with the consequences of having empowered thousands of girls around the world. She may have closed the Hellmouth under Sunnydale and defeated The First. But evil? Still rampant!''

It sucks we have to wait until March for this, but I'm so there when this finally streets!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Disappointed that Spike or Angel will be used very spareingly, if at all - all because some other clownshop owns the "rights" to that intellectual property.

What a distasteful situation - Whedon's characters separated by lawyers, contracts and bureaucratic ca-ca.
The Vicar

Postby Vegeta on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:17 pm

CANNOT WAIT!

So it's looks like March, 'eh? Does that mean that Joss will be taking a break from The Astonishing X-Men? I hope not, that comic is teh awesome.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:44 am

The Vicar wrote:Disappointed that Spike or Angel will be used very spareingly, if at all - all because some other clownshop owns the "rights" to that intellectual property.

What a distasteful situation - Whedon's characters separated by lawyers, contracts and bureaucratic ca-ca.

Whedon said that another company is doing the comic books for those characters, so he didn't want to slap them in the face and plaster them into the S8 project. That's understandable. That doesn't mean he won't use them if the story dictates it, but they won't be the focus of the story, nor should they be. The less Spike and Angel in S8 the better, IMO. I'm more interested in Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Giles.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:06 am

you dont' care about Dawn? :lol:
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:09 am

Does anyone care about Dawn? She rocked in S5 because she had a point and was tied into the arc, then in S6/S7 she became an annoying sub-character like Andrew and Spike. I wouldn't mind if they wrote into the comic that she was always gone somewhere else, and made a running joke out of it.

Hopefully the comics will remember Xander is the best character, and give him something to do.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:15 am

The Vicar wrote:What a distasteful situation - Whedon's characters separated by lawyers, contracts and bureaucratic ca-ca.

Something's rotten in Wolfram and Hart :?:

Clearly a new faction have been secretly working against their new boss......

"...but how can you save the world, if we don't release the IP rights to let you appear in future episodes! MWA-HA! MWA-HA-HA! MWA-HA-HA-HA!"

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:17 am

Senior Partner in the house. Try taking his stapler.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:19 am

Chilli wrote:Hopefully the comics will remember Xander is the best character, and give him something to do.

What? Crap one-liners, generally failing in life and bleeding not enough for you?

Le shock!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:20 am

Chilli wrote:Image

Senior Partner in the house. Try taking his stapler.

I'd hide it in jelly :wink:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:22 am

Gah. Trickery.

Milton as a Senior Partner would've been genius. At least to me, because he's fricking Milton.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:32 am

darkjedijaina wrote:you dont' care about Dawn? :lol:

Does anybody? :P

Chilli wrote:Does anyone care about Dawn? She rocked in S5 because she had a point and was tied into the arc, then in S6/S7 she became an annoying sub-character like Andrew and Spike. I wouldn't mind if they wrote into the comic that she was always gone somewhere else, and made a running joke out of it.

Hopefully the comics will remember Xander is the best character, and give him something to do.

Word and WORD!
Last edited by RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:32 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
Chilli wrote:Hopefully the comics will remember Xander is the best character, and give him something to do.

What? Crap one-liners, generally failing in life and bleeding not enough for you?

Le shock!

I take umbrage at that comment! Umbrage, I say!

Crap one-liners? He often had the best lines!

Failing in life? He ran a construction crew and could afford his own swanky and nicely furnished apartment. He was probably the most well-balanced out of any of the Scooby Gang!

Bleeding? Okay, he bled. But who didn't on that show? Despite his lack of supernatural abilities or knowledge, he still stood on the front lines to fight the good fight because, dammit, someone had to. He sacrificed for the greater good. I think that makes Xander a stronger character, not a weaker one.
Last edited by RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:02 am

Chilli wrote:... an annoying sub-character like Andrew and Spike.

but...but...i love spike.

and andrew.

darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:11 am

If you like Spike and Andrew, fine. I don't have a problem with it, I just feel set in my views that Season Seven became the 'Buffy, Andrew and Spike Travelling Circus of Suck.'

Doc Holiday - Giles knew books, Buffy was a Slayer, Willow was a Witch. They all had talents that benefited the team. Xander was a human, a guy who had nothing but courage, and he sacrificed his life countless times despite not being up to the task because he chose too, not because he had an ability needed for it. He's proof that human beings, with their weakness and fallibility, will fight even when there's no chance they'll come out of it alive.

Like Xander or not, and I'll admit he got shat on from S4 onwards, if he was merely a one-line thrower I doubt people would be so pissed that Nicholas Brendon got sidetracked in favour of 'scenery chewing prats' like James Masters.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:13 am

I think I've met a kindred spirit and his name is Chilli. :)

/ghey
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:15 am

We disagree on Prison Break. I love Season Two... or at least up to halfway through 2x03 when it skipped forward ten minutes and I was wondering how the Hell they got to where they were.

Shit, topic - Giles needs to slap Buffy. No idea why, but the visual'd be hilarious.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:19 am

RogueScribner wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

Le shock!

I take umbrage at that comment! Umbrage, I say!

Crap one-liners? He often had the best lines!

Failing in life? He ran a construction crew and could afford his own swanky and nicely furnished apartment. He was probably the most well-balanced out of any of the Scooby Gang!

Bleeding? Okay, he bled. But who didn't on that show? Despite his lack of supernatural abilities or knowledge, he still stood on the front lines to fight the good fight because, dammit, someone had to. He sacrificed for the greater good. I think that makes Xander a stronger character, not a weaker one.

Heh - I was waiting for the Browncoat Backlash :D His most redeeming moment involved a crayon. That's one step down from it involving a gerbil and a cardboard tube I reckon. :P

I thought his best moment was in Season One, where he nearly turned into a hyena. Other than that, I liked the episode where Buffy was going to kill Anya and he was alone in the whole "I see, Angel we forgive and save, but Anya we kill" philosophy. I did think he was good in that episode I do admit. Brendon even acted and everything.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:22 am

Brendon always acted. It was SMG who forgot what acting was in S7, and treated it like a fucking Make-Up Advert.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:25 am

Chilli wrote:Doc Holiday - Giles knew books, Buffy was a Slayer, Willow was a Witch. They all had talents that benefited the team. Xander was a human, a guy who had nothing but courage, and he sacrificed his life countless times despite not being up to the task because he chose too, not because he had an ability needed for it. He's proof that human beings, with their weakness and fallibility, will fight even when there's no chance they'll come out of it alive.

All admirable qualities in a person to be sure. But when you've pretty much summed up a character's entire 7-season arc in just one tiny paragraph, then you've got problems....

Vive la diference though....let's not go all Aquaf@g with this......

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:26 am

Chilli wrote:Brendon always acted. It was SMG who forgot what acting was in S7, and treated it like a fucking Make-Up Advert.

Close your eyes.

Imagine Lex Luthor.

Now open your eyes.

WRONG!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:26 am

I'm not getting into my 'fucking Entourage' rant here.

Comic-book wise, I hope they forget to give Jane Espenson a call in regards to writing some.

ETA - Doc, watch an S1 ep of Buffy. Marvel at SMG's portrayal of Buffy. Fully rounded, brilliant, nuanced. Then go to S7. Yes Buffy is beat-down by the world, but we're meant to see hints that she's capable of exiting the funk. But we don't. Because SMG doesn't care at that point, and is counting the days till it ends. She's not an awful actress, in 'The Body' she's amazing, but in S7 she just slums through it.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:33 am

Come on, Doc. Did you even watch the show? Xander contributed to many a fight, and he was pivotal on more than one occasion. He wasn't the best fighter, he couldn't do magic (the two times he tried resulted in comic chaos), he wasn't well versed in demonology, but he was always there to stand by his friends and help in any way he could. He was a little lost after high school, but he found his path and, again, he turned out to be the most well-balanced out of the gang. He had a career, a stable love life (he and Anya outlasted Buffy and Angel, Buffy and Riley, Buffy and Spike, Willow and Oz, Willow and Tara, etc.; I wish he and Anya didn't part over such bullshit reasons, but that's another topic), and was emotionally centered. He was the one clued Buffy in on why Riley was leaving her. He kept Willow from destroying the world when no one else could get through to her. Check out his speech to Dawn in "Potential":

You thought you were all special. Miss Sunnydale 2003. And the minute you found out you weren't, you handed the crown to Amanda without a moment's pause. You gave her your power. They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie, to be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it. But I know. I see more than anybody realizes because nobody's watching me. I saw you last night. I see you working here today. You're not special. You're extraordinary.

That right there goes to the heart of Xander's character. How anyone can not get onboard with that is beyond me.

The problem with Xander is that no one but Joss could write for him properly. When Joss left to work on Angel and Firefly a big chunk of Xander's greatness left too.
Last edited by RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:34 am

XANDERDEFENCELASH
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:36 am

I like Xander. I feel compelled to defend his honor! Trash Tara and Dawn and Spike all you want. Leave Xander alone!!! :P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chilli on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:38 am

I just hope no Spike or Andrew die-hards show up. This one time I'd been drinking shots and posting on another board, someone defended Andrew as a character, and I wrote half a page on how crap he was.

Shots and Buffy. urgh.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:42 am

I loathe Andrew. I was so pissed when he murdered Jonathan and then inexplicably joined the Scooby Gang. The only character I hated more in that final season was Kennedy. GARGH!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Next

Return to Comic Books