Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Season Eight"

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:32 pm

Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:02 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Look at this!

I want to go to that so bad.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:57 pm

cover for issue 4! (spoilerish)
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:06 pm

For starters, Whedon gets to rewrite history. At the end of the TV series, Buffy (finally) had her whole life in front of her — after which the spinoff show "Angel" put her back to work and had her shacking up with the Immortal in Rome. But as we learn in the first few pages of the comic, that didn't necessarily happen like we thought.

"That's one of the great things about writing," Whedon said. "You get to play off on everything you've set up. 'Well, that was clearly a double, they didn't have Sarah [Michelle Gellar] there, and that Italy really looked a lot like the Universal back lot.' But you know, at first she was with the Immortal, and then I thought, 'I don't see her that way. I want to pick up [with] Buffy more like she was.' "

"One's in Rome partying very publicly — and supposedly dating some guy called 'The Immortal.' That part was Andrew's idea. He did research on the guy, said it would be hilarious for some reason."

"I thought, 'If Andrew — who was there to counsel Spike and Angel in their time of grief when they realized Buffy found a new boyfriend — created the entire scenario just to mess with them, well, I find that delightful,' " Whedon said.

am I the only one disappointed with that development?

it ain't like the Buffster was some pure virgin or anything...Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike.

I thought it was an amusing, and well deserved, frolic with the greatest lover known to man.

If anyone deserved some good rogering and a respite from the daily grind, it's Buffy.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:10 pm

didn't she screw Dracula too?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:12 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
For starters, Whedon gets to rewrite history. At the end of the TV series, Buffy (finally) had her whole life in front of her — after which the spinoff show "Angel" put her back to work and had her shacking up with the Immortal in Rome. But as we learn in the first few pages of the comic, that didn't necessarily happen like we thought.

"That's one of the great things about writing," Whedon said. "You get to play off on everything you've set up. 'Well, that was clearly a double, they didn't have Sarah [Michelle Gellar] there, and that Italy really looked a lot like the Universal back lot.' But you know, at first she was with the Immortal, and then I thought, 'I don't see her that way. I want to pick up [with] Buffy more like she was.' "

"One's in Rome partying very publicly — and supposedly dating some guy called 'The Immortal.' That part was Andrew's idea. He did research on the guy, said it would be hilarious for some reason."

"I thought, 'If Andrew — who was there to counsel Spike and Angel in their time of grief when they realized Buffy found a new boyfriend — created the entire scenario just to mess with them, well, I find that delightful,' " Whedon said.

it ain't like the Buffster was some pure virgin or anything...Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike.

I thought it was an amusing, and well deserved, frolic with the greatest lover known to man.

If anyone deserved some good rogering and a respite from the daily grind, it's Buffy.

I dunno. I hated that episode, so I am glad it's been retconned.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:13 pm

Peven wrote:didn't she screw Dracula too?

he put the whammy on her, and it's implied that she 'prolly got a bit moist, but I'm pretty sure they didn't get it on.

Zander did a great Renfield in that episode...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:18 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I dunno. I hated that episode, so I am glad it's been retconned.

stop following me around and hating on everything I find dear!

I dug "The Girl in Question". Well needed break after all the drama (i miss Fred) that came before it, good to see Fred's 'rents again (i miss Fred), it set-up the Wesley tragedy rather nicely (i miss Wes), and Spike 'prolly called Angel a "poof" at some point, which I can never get enough of.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:39 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Like I said before, I support the notion that Buffy wasn't having a fling in Italy. It seems out of character to me, though the episode was funny. Buffy can move on with her life without becoming a vapid whore (strong words, but you get my meaning).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Like I said before, I support the notion that Buffy wasn't having a fling in Italy. It seems out of character to me, though the episode was funny. Buffy can move on with her life without becoming a vapid whore (strong words, but you get my meaning).

yeah, I'm not gonna argue that point, to each his own Buffy and all, but I kinda respected her a bit more for it.

finally, a fuck with someone who ain't gonna do a 180 on you in the morning (Angel, Parker), someone able to keep up (while Riley 'prolly did alright in that regard, I can't see him busting out any freaky positions, "doggy" style might not even be in Captain Vanilla's repertoire), and won't try to rape you when you reject him (Spike).

and while I do "get your meaning", "vapid whore" is a bit much, no? Says more about YOU than it does about her character...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:48 pm

The reason I like thise development so much is because it makes The Girl In Question eve funnier. Andrew pwned those motherfuckerss like a pro. Ok it's retcon but it plays way better now.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Like I said before, I support the notion that Buffy wasn't having a fling in Italy. It seems out of character to me, though the episode was funny. Buffy can move on with her life without becoming a vapid whore (strong words, but you get my meaning).

yeah, I'm not gonna argue that point, to each his own Buffy and all, but I kinda respected her a bit more for it.

finally, a fuck with someone who ain't gonna do a 180 on you in the morning (Angel, Parker), someone able to keep up (while Riley 'prolly did alright in that regard, I can't see him busting out any freaky positions, "doggy" style might not even be in Captain Vanilla's repertoire), and won't try to rape you when you reject him (Spike).

and while I do "get your meaning", "vapid whore" is a bit much, no? Says more about YOU than it does about her character...

And what exactly does that say about me?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby lyra belacqua on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:55 pm

TonyWilson wrote:The reason I like thise development so much is because it makes The Girl In Question eve funnier. Andrew pwned those motherfuckerss like a pro. Ok it's retcon but it plays way better now.

ITA. Of course, it could be that I love Andrew and I love that he would get delight in pulling one over on Angel and Spike.
I didn't mind the episode when it aired and when I watch season 5 I don't skip it if only for the comraderie that the Immortal inspires in Angel and Spike. As much as I love it when Angel and Spike hate each other, I love it more when they have to get along. (I love it most when their unspoken lust towards each other bubbles up. Ahhh, the best hoyay ever!)
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Just a reminder:

Buffy: Season 8 #1 comes out TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

Make sure that you use spoiler warnings when discussing the issue out of respect for folks like me...who won't be able to pick up the issue for a couple of days.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:21 pm

Excellant!!! Yippee!!! Hoohah!!!! Oi!!!

Side bar
I couldn't stand Andrew & the whole Nerds of Doom thing. Did everyone else forget Andrew was a murderer?
That whole story arc went straight into cartoon...although it did give us Uber-Willow.
Ah...its a trade off.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby darkjedijaina on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:37 pm

andrew was being used by the first when he killed jonathan. and really, it was warren that killed tara, not andrew. so, andrew is forgivable, in the same way that spike is forgivable.

and i do adore andrew. not so much in season six, but moreso in season seven, where more of his geekiness was allowed to exude. (that whole scene with him and anya at the hospital, for instance)
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:40 pm

I loved Andrew. Loved, loved, loved him. Him and Spike saved season 6 and 7 for me.

I stand in solidarity with fellow Andrew fans.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:40 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:andrew was being used by the first when he killed jonathan. and really, it was warren that killed tara, not andrew. so, andrew is forgivable, in the same way that spike is forgivable.

and i do adore andrew. not so much in season six, but moreso in season seven, where more of his geekiness was allowed to exude. (that whole scene with him and anya at the hospital, for instance)

So...

...wheel chair fight?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:21 pm

Herc posted his review of issue #1 here.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:59 pm

I really, really loved the first issue. Reading the characters again, I could hear their voices so clearly in my head. It felt like coming home to people you love, only this time they're taking you on a much grander journey.

I simply can't fucking wait to see how this thing turns out.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:18 pm

even tho' I spoilt myself and knew what was coming, that two-page spread of Dawn had me in hysterics.

BKV writing a 3 issue Faith arc...drool.

I just hope Wood is in it.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:25 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:even tho' I spoilt myself and knew what was coming, that two-page spread of Dawn had me in hysterics.

BKV writing a 3 issue Faith arc...drool.

I just hope Wood is in it.

Now, there's a character that could use a good retconning. Except for all the Faith sex. That was good. (and notice how I totally sidestepped that joke you set up-I'm sure one of the boys will do it justice)

I haven't bought it yet. I kinda of don't want to. The thing I HATE about comics is the waiting between issues. Is it worth the agony of only being able to read a chapter at a time?
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:26 am

I really enjoyed this first issue. Much like any first episode of a new season, it's usually not the greatest piece of entertainment, but as a means of getting my wet feet in the universe it served its purpose. There was humor and action and a proper mystery set up and, in pure Whedon fashion, one helluva closer. I can't wait for issue two!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DarthLechon on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:44 pm

Not really a spoiler, but-

Did anyone notice that Buffy is wearing a Serenity t-shirt on that mission? Thought that was cute. :wink:
Darth Lechon
Pinoy Dark Lord of Pork
DarthLechon
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:07 am

Just finished reading issue #1. Boy it feels good to be back. The Buffyverse makes me feel all warm inside. Can't wait for issue #2!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:19 am

IDW made it semi-official: Angel Season 6 in canon continuing comics, co-written by Joss, are on the way!

Joss: I am talking to Brian Lynch who wrote Spike: Asylum about doing a sort of Season Six of Angel - a canon post-Angel story. I was really impressed with Asylum. Brian really got the humour and the rhythms and told a story really well. I thought, "If they can do this, why shouldn't they?" It would be on a separate plane from Buffy, but having said that we are planning on having Spike and Angel appear in the BtVS arc. As far as the separate stories goes, we will resolve how they can both be going on. It might end up a little bit too much like X-Men, who are doing different things in every comic, but hopefully we will work out more continuity than that. I'm not going to make it so that you have to read both books from both companies. I don't think it's fair to people and I don't think it's fair in a single company. I hate it when a Spider-Man arc finishes in Iron Man. I get pissed off! There will be no Buffy "Civil War"! Well, maybe.

W00t!!!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:23 am

Amen.

Brian Lynch was doing an excellent job. "Buffy 'Civil War'"...classic.

Can't wait! I will certainly shell out any amount of cash for some more Angel/Buffy stuff.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:20 am

Shit - had to back order Season 8.
While I was at it, I preordered issues 2 & 3.
The Vicar

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:21 pm

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:02 pm

I broke down and bought a copy (only because it was pristine and I didn't have time to stand their and read it in the store). It was great, just like I knew it'd be. But come on...AMY?! Can't we get something new? I'm hoping it's just an opening volley.

I miss the sex too.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:52 pm

The supposed BB at the start of S2 isn't who it ended up being. Same goes for S3, S4, and S6. So I'm sure Amy isn't the BB, but the big threat will be revealed in another 12 issues or so.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:33 pm

Not sure how many of you read the newsarama article that was posted here...but it mentioned that this thing is set to run for 50+ issues.

I think i need to change my shorts.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:42 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Not sure how many of you read the newsarama article that was posted here...but it mentioned that this thing is set to run for 50+ issues.

whoa. I had no idea they were going to go that long.

At Joss's writing pace that's at least 15 years' worth of Buffy :wink:

This is great news.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Not sure how many of you read the newsarama article that was posted here...but it mentioned that this thing is set to run for 50+ issues.

whoa. I had no idea they were going to go that long.

At Joss's writing pace that's at least 15 years' worth of Buffy :wink:

This is great news.

I believe Joss is going to act as executive producer so-to-speak for most of the run. He will just recieve the pitches and stuff and then let the writers have a bit of creative freedom. He wants to write the bookends of the series and then pick and choose places to write throughout the run. Still, 50+ issues of a Buffy comic spearheaded by Joss Whedon makes me happy to be alive. Now lets get things going with Angel Season 6 and Serenity Season 2!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:36 pm

I'll start the washer......shit ( literally) that's outstanding news.
So very much want to echo the love for Angel Season Six & Serenity Season Two.

Ain't too proud to beg.
The Vicar

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:05 pm

The only problem with Angel S6 is that we will need to wait until Buffy S8 is over, no?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:08 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:The only problem with Angel S6 is that we will need to wait until Buffy S8 is over, no?

Hmmm. Perhaps you are right. I mean chronologically it would occur after Buffy S08, but I think they can make it so that one does not effect the other. They are two different publishers anyway (Spike and Angel are at IDW I believe).
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:09 pm

Buffy's ex Riley ( Mark Blucas ) is doing a turn on House tonight! Huh!
The Vicar

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:11 pm

The Vicar wrote:Buffy's ex Riley ( Mark Blucas ) is doing a turn on House tonight! Huh!

I thought he was in South America fighting monsters? Speaking of which, you know he has to be showing up soon in Buffy S08. With the army after Buffy...it is only a matter of time before he shows up to warn her or something.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:14 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:The only problem with Angel S6 is that we will need to wait until Buffy S8 is over, no?

Hmmm. Perhaps you are right. I mean chronologically it would occur after Buffy S08, but I think they can make it so that one does not effect the other. They are two different publishers anyway (Spike and Angel are at IDW I believe).

I would rather wait until S8 is finished since Joss is doing a little retconning along the way. Besides, if Angel S6 is done, I want it to have Joss's near full attention (if that is even possible). I am MUCH more interested in seeing what happens to Angel, Gun and Fred after that dragon.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:20 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I would rather wait until S8 is finished since Joss is doing a little retconning along the way. Besides, if Angel S6 is done, I want it to have Joss's near full attention (if that is even possible). I am MUCH more interested in seeing what happens to Angel, Gun and Fred after that dragon.

I hear you man, but I just lack the patience. I have really dug most of the Angel/Spike comics that have come out in recent years. So I wouldn't mind it if Joss wrote a handful of issues...wrote an overview of the story as a whole, and then let a whole bunch of capable writers have their way. But I get what you are saying. In a perfect world Joss would be able to devote all of his attention to these comics...but I want them now! I need to know what happens!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:36 pm

Well it's more than just being patient for me. You see, I want the Buffy season to have its run as if concurrent with Angel S5. I think it would be excellent if Angel S6 built on that, and we can't have that UNTIL Buffy S8 ended. So I would rather wait, because I think we would get a much richer experience because of it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:34 pm

I got the first issue finally.

Love it, I thought it was well written, and it really captured the feeling from the show...

I look forward to this comic more, after reading this issue.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby WalterBunny on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:06 am

I don't see where there would really be a problem with Angel S6 running now, along with Buffy S8. There's a fair amount of time that's passed between Buffy S7 & S8, and since the first issue references something that happens at the end of Angel S5, what's the problem? Screw waiting for S8 to be over with to find out what happened to Spike (I could care less about Angel)! That's four years, IF they can stick to schedule.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:02 pm

WalterBunny wrote:I don't see where there would really be a problem with Angel S6 running now, along with Buffy S8. There's a fair amount of time that's passed between Buffy S7 & S8, and since the first issue references something that happens at the end of Angel S5, what's the problem? Screw waiting for S8 to be over with to find out what happened to Spike (I could care less about Angel)! That's four years, IF they can stick to schedule.

Why do you assume the Immortal shout out takes place toward the end of S5? She just says a dupe is SEEING the Immortal. There is no reference as to when this takes place in Angel continuity. My impression is that this takes place a few months after the end of S7, like say, after a Summer of reruns.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:07 am

Whoa how did I miss this? Looks like Joss is co-writing a new Firefly mini-series that is scheduled to come out this September!

It is called Serenity: Better Days. Here is what Joss says about the title: "This new story will take place in the 'Firefly' years i.e., everyone's alive," says Whedon. "Basically, they pull off a heist and everything doesn't go completely wrong. This, needless to say, has never happened, and it's about how they deal with success."

Joss Whedon writing the Firefly crew again? Count. Me. In.

Now lets see him oversee a Firefly S02 comic. The world needs it. I needs it. My precious.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:20 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:My impression is that this takes place a few months after the end of S7, like say, after a Summer of reruns.

, it tsorry sexyakes placepoafter "Chosen", a cule about but I'm15months months (or so) aftr "Not ".

you may be Fade Awayslim, and you're denitefily shady, the one standing up...

ETA: oops, finger spliped.
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:35 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:My impression is that this takes place a few months after the end of S7, like say, after a Summer of reruns.

, it tsorry sexyakes placepoafter "Chosen", a cule about but I'm15months months (or so) aftr "Not ".

you may be Fade Awayslim, and you're denitefily shady, the one standing up...

ETA: oops, finger spliped.

hmmm...vagina.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:36 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:hmmm...vagina

OMG LOL BOM H34DSHOT!1!!11!!1
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:05 am

Finally - some good news.
The second printing of Buffy #1 & the 1st of Buffy #2 are being mailed to me even now.
And Whedon's working on some more Firefly?
Even better!!
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books