Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Season Eight"

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 07, 2007 6:58 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Buffy can move on with her life without becoming a vapid whore (strong words, but you get my meaning).

so how do you feel about her dream of being a Buffy sandwich, chained up in a nurses outfit between naked Spike and Angel?

too vapid-y?

too whore-y?

'cuz not only did I think that was a hoot, but it was teh hot as well...

and here i thought I was the only one who had that dream
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon May 07, 2007 11:36 pm

Your obsession with Spike and Angel is pretty disgusting.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 09, 2007 4:48 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Buffy can move on with her life without becoming a vapid whore (strong words, but you get my meaning).

so how do you feel about her dream of being a Buffy sandwich, chained up in a nurses outfit between naked Spike and Angel?

too vapid-y?

too whore-y?

Haven't read it yet, but I'll be sure to respond to your Q when I do.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby lyra belacqua on Wed May 16, 2007 9:05 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:so how do you feel about her dream of being a Buffy sandwich, chained up in a nurses outfit between naked Spike and Angel?

too vapid-y?

too whore-y?

I'd like to second the desire to be in a soul vamp sandwich. Hell, I'd even let Buffy stay.

But who kissed Buffy? Was it supposed to be Willow? Because I am so not down for that. I'd be more okay with Xander smooches. I refuse to believe that Will is *in love* with Buffy. And maybe I missed that they spelled it out who kissed her, but I clearly don't remember the cinnamon buns reference.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 16, 2007 9:09 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:I'd like to second the desire to be in a soul vamp sandwich. Hell, I'd even let Buffy stay.

that's hot.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lyra belacqua on Wed May 16, 2007 9:13 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
lyra belacqua wrote:I'd like to second the desire to be in a soul vamp sandwich. Hell, I'd even let Buffy stay.

that's hot.

But can you help me with the cinnomon buns reference? Otherwise, you are no good to me Paris. :wink:
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby caseymckinnon on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:11 pm

I made my own review of the latest issue of the Buffy comic here two weeks ago:
http://www.pulpsecret.com/episode/CBO_20070606

The writing was great, but I found the art a little inconsistent.
C.
Casey McKinnon
A Comicbook Orange
http://acomicbookorange.com
caseymckinnon
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Bring on BKV and Faith.

BKV Discusses his upcoming arc of Buffy!.

Um...BKV was writing one of the Buffy spinoff movies? Are you SERIOUS?!?!??! Someone needs to make that shit happen. Like right now.

Still, "Faith...Slayer Slayer" sounds awesome.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:27 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Bring on BKV and Faith.

BKV Discusses his upcoming arc of Buffy!.

Um...BKV was writing one of the Buffy spinoff movies? Are you SERIOUS?!?!??! Someone needs to make that shit happen. Like right now.

Still, "Faith...Slayer Slayer" sounds awesome.

We wants it, we does.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Vegeta on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:28 pm

Buffy Season 8 #6 was awesome. Vaughan really has the characters nailed down. Went snooping around Dark Horse's sight and found the cover for Buffy Season 8 #8...
Can you say "teh awesome"?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:37 pm

The story was great but the art was shit.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Vegeta on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:53 pm

I agree, the cover art is always awesome... but, the panel art is mostly meh.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:37 am

Vaughan's dialogue out-Whedoned Whedon's; the read went by in a visceral rush, felt like I was watching an episode, instead of reading one.

but, as Burl said, that may have been a defense mechanism, blocking out some of the atrocious artwork, particularly panels that focused on Faith's glorious facha. Dude didn't do Eliza justice.

At all.

but man oh man was that well written.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:20 pm

Why is the Doctor in one of the panels, lurking outside Giles' flat?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:25 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:Why is the Doctor in one of the panels, lurking outside Giles' flat?

A Buffy / Doctor Who crossover?
How interesting could that be?
The Vicar

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Is Joss really getting closer to a Ripper deal with the BBC?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:16 am

Wow I'm shocked that there aren't as many posts for this so I thought I'd see if I could rekindle it a little.

What does everybody think about the Brian K. Vaughn Faith arc running right now (or just finishing up I suppose)?

The only thing that makes me sad is the fact that this could have, in some way, been an awesome tv movie for Faith that could have led into her own series.

Just glad we get to enjoy it one way or another.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:36 pm

I believe that was the general idea, way back when, but they cannibalized it for this comic series. So far so good, but I'm anxious to see how it ends. Faith always seems to get the shit assignments. That's gotta mess with her psyche.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:53 pm

Wonder when Ethan Rayne will reenter the picture?

Or did I already miss that?
The Vicar

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:05 pm

The end of the faith arc was awesome! Although, I have had trouble with how the writers have treated Giles since Season 7. How Buffy can just dismiss him completely sort of blows my mind.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:13 pm

Vegeta wrote:The end of the faith arc was awesome! Although, I have had trouble with how the writers have treated Giles since Season 7. How Buffy can just dismiss him completely sort of blows my mind.

Damn.
Should be getting mine in the mail, like, today......

To be fair, Giles really did blow the trust between them with the whole "trying to kill Spike behind her back" thing.
How, or will, he ever win that trust back?

gosh that sentence sucked....sorry.
The Vicar

Postby Theta on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:58 pm

I have to admit, if there's an argument for a "Faith" series, this really is it. To do it properly it'd have to be on FX, but Faith and Giles, globetrotting, doing all the nasty wetwork Buffy can't or won't do?

Yes please.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:59 pm

Theta wrote:I have to admit, if there's an argument for a "Faith" series, this really is it. To do it properly it'd have to be on FX, but Faith and Giles, globetrotting, doing all the nasty wetwork Buffy can't or won't do?

Yes please.

I'd love to see that myself but I guess I can settle for that new series that Joss is making with Eliza.
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:00 pm

The Vicar wrote:
To be fair, Giles really did blow the trust between them with the whole "trying to kill Spike behind her back" thing.

I don't think he can. Buffy can be a colossally judgemental bitca and stubborn as all hell, so really it's up to her. It's only a matter of time before she needs him again, though.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:01 pm

Theta wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

I don't think he can. Buffy can be a colossally judgemental bitca and stubborn as all hell, so really it's up to her. It's only a matter of time before she needs him again, though.

And that was one of the very few times I was really pissed at Giles.
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Honestly, I never liked how that whole "Giles betrayal" went down in S7. It was too late in the season/series. The last episode felt so unresolved about it, and with Giles there from the beginning it felt wrong to have him be on the outs with Buffy for Sunnydale's end. I guess I always felt that arc was a mistake and would have been better served in S5/S6 or earlier in S7.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:12 pm

Vegeta wrote:Honestly, I never liked how that whole "Giles betrayal" went down in S7. It was too late in the season/series. The last episode felt so unresolved about it, and with Giles there from the beginning it felt wrong to have him be on the outs with Buffy for Sunnydale's end. I guess I always felt that arc was a mistake and would have been better served in S5/S6 or earlier in S7.

I hated it too but in a way I can understand why they did it. Joss really needed Buffy to come out on her own and closing the door on Giles like she did was one way of her moving on and in a way really maturing as her own person. I think it would have been nice if at the end there was more of a reconciliation but oh well.
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:26 pm

Vegeta wrote:Honestly, I never liked how that whole "Giles betrayal" went down in S7. It was too late in the season/series. The last episode felt so unresolved about it, and with Giles there from the beginning it felt wrong to have him be on the outs with Buffy for Sunnydale's end. I guess I always felt that arc was a mistake and would have been better served in S5/S6 or earlier in S7.

Seconded and well said, matey.
The Vicar

Postby Chilli on Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:22 pm

The first arc was solid, if a little underwhelming, but I love the implications of the second arc. Putting Giles and Faith together was genius, because it gives Giles room to become a darker character than he could with Buffy. He respects Faith, but he's under no obligation to play rosy around her, so the two of them can just go and do the job they're meant to do.

Course, I am pissed that Buffy hasn't figured that Giles always looks at the bigger picture. It isn't about her, its about what she represents to the world, and if he has to he'll go against her to do the right thing for everyone.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Chilli wrote:The first arc was solid, if a little underwhelming, but I love the implications of the second arc.

yeah, BKV wrote the shit out of that.

pity the "shit" here was the art.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:03 am

Man, I hate Joss Whedon. He writes great stories but the implications always mean bad news for the characters. I have a feeling Whedon is a sadist, and he not only likes torturing his creations, but his readers as well. I really don't WANT Buffy to face a traitor, but I am too involved in her shit to turn away. Fuck you, Joss Whedon.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 am

This was most definitely the best Joss penned issue of the new series. Excellent stuff.

And I didn't realize the Robin character was the winner of the myspace Buffy contest. The prize was to win a spot in the Buffy comic, but who knew it would be THAT important of a role?!?!?!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:06 am

Was Robin the weird lady who watched the house? If so, she was pretty cool.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:07 am

Leckomaniac wrote:This was most definitely the best Joss penned issue of the new series. Excellent stuff.

And I didn't realize the Robin character was the winner of the myspace Buffy contest. The prize was to win a spot in the Buffy comic, but who knew it would be THAT important of a role?!?!?!

That makes for a pretty cool story considering that originally it was only supposed to be a cameo but Joss was really moved by her story that he wrote her as a major part of the storyline. Looking forward to actually reading this soon. ^^
AIRWOLF

Postby bamf on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:16 am

Some great Xander stuff with Dawn too. I was wondering about the clothes situation... :roll:
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:25 am

I wish that they would get around to explaining what "thricewise" is.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:36 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I wish that they would get around to explaining what "thricewise" is.

I really didn't give much thought to what a thricewise was... I just assumed that it was some sort of random mythical creature. Right when you mentioned that I decided to try to look it up and haven't really found any concrete evidence about what exactly is a thricewise.

In other words... good point. What the hell is it? :?
AIRWOLF

Postby bamf on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:16 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:I wish that they would get around to explaining what "thricewise" is.

I really didn't give much thought to what a thricewise was... I just assumed that it was some sort of random mythical creature. Right when you mentioned that I decided to try to look it up and haven't really found any concrete evidence about what exactly is a thricewise.

In other words... good point. What the hell is it? :?

I assumed I missed a reference in a past issue. Didnt I? -runs off to the long box-
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am

No, they haven't really delved into Dawn's deal yet. This last issue is the most info we've gotten, really.

SPOILER QUESTION IN TINY TEXT!

So did anyone else have an issue with Buffy leading a bunch of Slayers to rob a bank? I mean, BUFFY! I realize she's on a mission and needs funding, but this is the best she can do? Didn't she give Spike a huge speech about not being above the law? It's one thing to commit midemeanors in the name of the greater good (no real harm done, right?), but felonies? This is the shit people get sent to prison for. And not only is she crossing a line, she's dragging other impressionable young Slayers across it too!

I really hope this is addressed in a future issue. Buffy just seemed to laugh it off while Willow did look a little shocked. I'm not sure what Willow's deal with that demon was though. But anyway, the Council was a huge operation funded by something. Just because the Council members and various HQs were destroyed doesn't mean their avenues of income were taken out as well. Giles couldn't tap into that somehow? Or Buffy and the gang couldn't make similar investments?

Am I giving this too much thought? :-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chilli on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:49 am

Yes. The woman led potentials to war in S7, I think her moral boundaries are definitely more ambigous than usual.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Vegeta on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 am

RogueScribner wrote:No, they haven't really delved into Dawn's deal yet. This last issue is the most info we've gotten, really.

SPOILER QUESTION IN TINY TEXT!

So did anyone else have an issue with Buffy leading a bunch of Slayers to rob a bank? I mean, BUFFY! I realize she's on a mission and needs funding, but this is the best she can do? Didn't she give Spike a huge speech about not being above the law? It's one thing to commit midemeanors in the name of the greater good (no real harm done, right?), but felonies? This is the shit people get sent to prison for. And not only is she crossing a line, she's dragging other impressionable young Slayers across it too!

I really hope this is addressed in a future issue. Buffy just seemed to laugh it off while Willow did look a little shocked. I'm not sure what Willow's deal with that demon was though. But anyway, the Council was a huge operation funded by something. Just because the Council members and various HQs were destroyed doesn't mean their avenues of income were taken out as well. Giles couldn't tap into that somehow? Or Buffy and the gang couldn't make similar investments?

Am I giving this too much thought? :-P

No, I found that alarming as well.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:13 pm

I thought it was awesome, but I have no morals.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:37 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Man, I hate Joss Whedon. He writes great stories but the implications always mean bad news for the characters. I have a feeling Whedon is a sadist, and he not only likes torturing his creations, but his readers as well. I really don't WANT Buffy to face a traitor, but I am too involved in her shit to turn away. Fuck you, Joss Whedon.

I think Burl took that well, don't you?

( ducks as Burl hurls a bust of Teh Whedon at my skull )
The Vicar

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:22 pm

The Vicar wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Man, I hate Joss Whedon. He writes great stories but the implications always mean bad news for the characters. I have a feeling Whedon is a sadist, and he not only likes torturing his creations, but his readers as well. I really don't WANT Buffy to face a traitor, but I am too involved in her shit to turn away. Fuck you, Joss Whedon.

Look on the bright side. Maybe it's Kennedy and maybe she'll finally die a grisly death.

DIE, KENNEDY, DIE!!!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:23 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

Look on the bright side. Maybe it's Kennedy and maybe she'll finally die a grisly death.

DIE, KENNEDY, DIE!!!

Eh, I have a far bigger problem with Willow than I do with Kennedy. I have long felt that Willow's character was butchered in the later seasons of the show and that has only continued in Season 8. They can't make Willow the "traitor" because she has already been the big bad once before, but I would very much like to see Willow get a redemptive death or something to rescue the character and get her out of the way at the same time.

I know almost everyone disagrees with me, but the last few seasons of Buffy are almost unwatchable to me because of Willow. And there needs to be more Xander in Season 8. His Nick Fury-ness cracks me up.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm

GAH!!! I JUST LOST MY POST AND HAVE TO RETYPE IT!!!

GAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

*deep breath*

They dropped the ball with Willow in Season 6. Big time. They managed to pick up enough pieces to make her likable again in Season 7, but they never managed to get her fully back on track. Willow was my favorite female character prior to S6. After . . . meh. It killed me when she crossed over to Angel that year; she was more Willow there than on her own show!

But at least she didn't suffer the character degradation Cordy did in her final years. Oy. But I hate no character more in all the Buffyverse than Kennedy. That whiny, nosy, self-entitled bitch of a brat who took on an importance in the group she didn't earn or deserve. Her character served only two purposes: a) to show that Willow was still Dumbledore and b) to bolster Willow's self-confidence. Point a was needless to explore in the final season of the show and point b could have been done with a more worthwhile character, even someone we--gasp!--already knew and liked.

I actually thought less of Willow because she hooked up with Kennedy and how I wanted Kennedy to get staked in "Chosen"! That didn't happen, so her grisly death was left to my imagination (and my own Season 8 musings). In the new comic run, it's obvious there's trouble in paradise, so maybe they'll break them up for good. Or better yet: turn into a vampire and stake her! That'd make me happy.

Not enough has happened with Willow in S8 for me to have a real opinion yet. I only hope they work to bring her back to good.

And Xander better live, dammit!!!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:54 pm

I still really like Willow.

But I'll always be an Anya fan. Damn bunnies!
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:I still really like Willow.

Agreed. Anya has always been the hottest girl in the Buffy universe.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:I still really like Willow.

GOSH do I love Anya. By far my favorite female character in the entire Buffy universe from her first appearance to her last.

And Rogue, I agree on all counts about Cordy. Her arc in Angel was SO solid and her transformation was really something to witness and then everything fell apart so spectacularly. What mess that was.

Personally, I feel that the character assassination of Willow began long before Season 6. However, it didn't cause me to want to claw my eyes out until late Season 5 and on through Season 6. Then they tried to do a nice 180 and correct the ship in Season 7 and, to me, it came off as nothing more than damage control as opposed to actual characterization and progress.

I do agree the Kennedy seemd to shoe horn her way into the gang simply by virtue of her sleeping with Willow. She offered nothing to the group.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:35 pm

RogueScribner wrote:GAH!!! I JUST LOST MY POST AND HAVE TO RETYPE IT!!!

GAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

*deep breath*

They dropped the ball with Willow in Season 6. Big time. They managed to pick up enough pieces to make her likable again in Season 7, but they never managed to get her fully back on track. Willow was my favorite female character prior to S6. After . . . meh. It killed me when she crossed over to Angel that year; she was more Willow there than on her own show!

But at least she didn't suffer the character degradation Cordy did in her final years. Oy. But I hate no character more in all the Buffyverse than Kennedy. That whiny, nosy, self-entitled bitch of a brat who took on an importance in the group she didn't earn or deserve. Her character served only two purposes: a) to show that Willow was still Dumbledore and b) to bolster Willow's self-confidence. Point a was needless to explore in the final season of the show and point b could have been done with a more worthwhile character, even someone we--gasp!--already knew and liked.

I actually thought less of Willow because she hooked up with Kennedy and how I wanted Kennedy to get staked in "Chosen"! That didn't happen, so her grisly death was left to my imagination (and my own Season 8 musings). In the new comic run, it's obvious there's trouble in paradise, so maybe they'll break them up for good. Or better yet: turn into a vampire and stake her! That'd make me happy.

Kennedy sucked.
Big time.
Kennedy Hater and proud of it.
Sorry to see her still in the story.

And after grating on me for some time, when Anya did go, I missed her.
I kind of thought they were going to get her in the Buffy Season Five Finale, but there was a larger sacrifice to make that day.

Its been great, waiting for my copies of Angel & Buffy in the post....feels like old times.

That Whedon guy can write some...
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books