Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Season Eight"

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:23 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Man, I hate Joss Whedon. He writes great stories but the implications always mean bad news for the characters. I have a feeling Whedon is a sadist, and he not only likes torturing his creations, but his readers as well. I really don't WANT Buffy to face a traitor, but I am too involved in her shit to turn away. Fuck you, Joss Whedon.

I think Burl took that well, don't you?

( ducks as Burl hurls a bust of Teh Whedon at my skull )

Look on the bright side. Maybe it's Kennedy and maybe she'll finally die a grisly death.

DIE, KENNEDY, DIE!!!

hahahaa good times.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:58 pm

I want Willow and Oz together.
Goddamit.
I want it now.

In Josh's name....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 pm

Hey, I heard Riley is supposed to make an appearance. I wonder if they'll bring Oz back?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:40 pm

The Vicar wrote:I want Willow and Oz together.
Goddamit.
I want it now.

In Josh's name....

Amen to that brother.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:05 am

Josh's name or Joss' name?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:30 pm

NO! Willow and Tara!

Fuck Oz.

At least Kennedy was cute.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:45 pm

WILLOW AND XANDER!!

...and Buffy?

hmmm.....
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:57 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:WILLOW AND XANDER!!

...and Buffy?

hmmm.....

Throw in Cordy instead of Buffy and you've got yummy!
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:59 pm

RILEY AND CYCLOPS!!

Yeah! I said it!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:00 pm

Giles and Faith.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:03 pm

Chilli wrote:Giles and Faith.

Oh yes.

Or Faith and Cordy (with her long dark hair).

Is it getting warm in here? *fans self*
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:04 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
Chilli wrote:Giles and Faith.

Oh yes.

Or Faith and Cordy (with her long dark hair).

Is it getting warm in here? *fans self*

The last Faith arc was loaded with... interesting imagery.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:38 pm

I just read the TPB. So I am allmost caught up.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I just read the TPB. So I am allmost caught up.

I DIDN'T KNOW ONE WAS OUT YET!

sweet, i'm going to the comic shop tonight.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I just read the TPB. So I am allmost caught up.

I DIDN'T KNOW ONE WAS OUT YET!

sweet, i'm going to the comic shop tonight.

Yeah I read it at work this morning.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:15 am

RogueScribner wrote:Hey, I heard Riley is supposed to make an appearance.

you don't think he maybe that Twilight guy, do you, by any chance?

'cuz as the tree said the lumberjack...I'm stumped.

loved that fake-out when he nearly took off his hood, only to, you know, not.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:28 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

loved that fake-out when he nearly took off his hood, only to, you know, not

I loved that too, I was giggling like a loon on the train home reading that page. That right that there is Whedon at his best :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

loved that fake-out when he nearly took off his hood, only to, you know, not.

Oh yeah, that was cute.
The Vicar

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:02 pm

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT!!

Jo Chen's gorgeous cover for Issue #16!

I don't know how exactly that cover can mean what it means, but I'm oh, so very excited for it.

It's heavily implied in Fray that Buffy is the one who rids the world of magic. I always liked the idea that it was her, that she held such a significance in the history of the slayers, that she didn't end up as just one more in a long line. Plus, Buffy vs. magic would heighten the Buffy/Willow split Whedon's been hinting at.

And time travel! Yay!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:06 pm

one of my more far flung theories is that the Twilight dude is Fray's bro.

it's not exactly true what you tiny-texted though...

"what we know is this - there was a battle. A slayer, possibly with some mystical allies, faced an apocalyptic army of demons. And when it was done - They were all gone. All demons, all magicks, banished from this earthly dimension."
"And the Slayer? Did she..."
"I do not know if she lived...she was the last to be called."

So it's kinda left up in the air...I mean, that could've been Willow's hand being sucked into that vortex...hell, that could've been Faith's back that was pictured.

Glad Moline's coming back to draw his gal, and Buffy & Fray together? I don't care how they do it, that's going to be loads of fun...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:40 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:it's not exactly true what you tiny-texted though...

"what we know is this - there was a battle. A slayer, possibly with some mystical allies, faced an apocalyptic army of demons. And when it was done - They were all gone. All demons, all magicks, banished from this earthly dimension."
"And the Slayer? Did she..."
"I do not know if she lived...she was the last to be called."

So it's kinda left up in the air...I mean, that could've been Willow's hand being sucked into that vortex...hell, that could've been Faith's back that was pictured.

Well, I'm basing this on memory (having read Fray only once and a few years back), but I remember the one panel of the slayer from behind, facing off against that portal-ish thing--and she was blond. That, combined with all the talk about how significant this particular slayer was, makes it reasonable to assume it's Buffy. I also remember reading an interview w/ Joss or one of the other key creatives where he/they said he/they liked the idea that it was Buffy.

Obviously, it's meant to be ambiguous, but it looks like the connection is being drawn and we're going to get clarification.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:41 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT!!

Jo Chen's gorgeous cover for Issue #16!

I don't know how exactly that cover can mean what it means, but I'm oh, so very excited for it.

It's heavily implied in Fray that Buffy is the one who rids the world of magic. I always liked the idea that it was her, that she held such a significance in the history of the slayers, that she didn't end up as just one more in a long line. Plus, Buffy vs. magic would heighten the Buffy/Willow split Whedon's been hinting at.

And time travel! Yay!

Fray!!!! That is so cool! That made me all sorts of goosebumpy!

I don't think that Twilight is Fray's brother, I still think it's someone from Buffy's past. My far flung theory would be that he's her father... it would explain how he'd know her fear of heights and maybe he blames her for Joyce's death in a way?
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:51 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Well, I'm basing this on memory (having read Fray only once and a few years back), but I remember the one panel of the slayer from behind, facing off against that portal-ish thing--and she was blond. That, combined with all the talk about how significant this particular slayer was, makes it reasonable to assume it's Buffy. I also remember reading an interview w/ Joss or one of the other key creatives where he/they said he/they liked the idea that it was Buffy.

Obviously, it's meant to be ambiguous, but it looks like the connection is being drawn and we're going to get clarification.

well, factually, you can't tell what color her hair is, as she's a silhouette.
well remembered, aside from that, and I agree, 'twould make the most sense if it 'twas the Buffster...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:48 pm

Anybody see the big surprise in this issue? I won't spoil it, but I will say this:

A) The writerly, enlightened side of my brain thinks it's a clumsy and silly plot device designed to force a split in the slayer ranks, something Whedon's obviously been gunning for since day one.

B) The drooling pervert side of my brain is very happy and hopes to see more. A lot more. A whole issue would be nice.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Excellent issue. The whole thing with Buffy caught me a bit off guard and I can't say I am all for it, but that being said, I want to see more of it. A lot more. As Theta said...a whole issue and/or story arc would be nice.

Still, this is probably one of my favorite issues thus far. The voices were really well rendered by Goddard. And there were several laugh out loud moments.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Still, this is probably one of my favorite issues thus far. The voices were really well rendered by Goddard. And there were several laugh out loud moments.

I have to admit, I did like that farcical scene in the middle of the book, and that bit at the end. Plus this means Xander gets the spotlight, and I'm excited for that.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:59 pm

Ugh...really didn't like this issue. I wasn't a fan of the issue's surprise character when he was used on the show, so I'm less than excited about where this arc is headed. And Buffy's twist just made me groan.

SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

I don't buy that Buffy just jumped into bed with a chick. She was always hesitant about getting into sexual relationships, generally b/c they ended in flames. The idea that she would jump in bed with a female subordinate on a whim just to "check it out" seems a bit out of character.

Also, I'm a bit tired of Buffy being the confused, lonely hero, grasping at hopes of a "normal" life. That got played out over 7 seasons. She now lives in a castle with her sister, her 2 best friends, and an army of slayers she can relate to. Why the hell isn't this chick content yet??? I was expecting her to be a bit more mature at this point.

Just felt forced and pointless to me. I've been debating dropping the title on a monthly basis and just picking up the trades as they come out...this might be the arc that finally makes me do that.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Vegeta on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 am

I found the whole portion where everyone walks in on Buffy's secret tryst very fun. However, I found that Buffy sleeping with a chick to be... out of character. I mean the girls a necrophiliac, but Dumbledore... now that's a stretch.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:25 am

Vegeta wrote:I found the whole portion where everyone walks in on Buffy's secret tryst very fun. However, I found that Buffy sleeping with a chick to be... out of character. I mean the girls a necrophiliac, but Dumbledore... now that's a stretch.

The strange thing is...how can it be out of character when it was okay-ed by the person who created the character to begin with? I don't find it too shocking at all; if Buffy can fall for a centuries old dead guy, why not another woman? A connection is a connection and doesn't necessarily have to be whether people are of the opposite sex.

Just wish it didn't take so long for them to release the tpb's for these storylines.
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:30 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:
Vegeta wrote:I found the whole portion where everyone walks in on Buffy's secret tryst very fun. However, I found that Buffy sleeping with a chick to be... out of character. I mean the girls a necrophiliac, but Dumbledore... now that's a stretch.

The strange thing is...how can it be out of character when it was okay-ed by the person who created the character to begin with? I don't find it too shocking at all; if Buffy can fall for a centuries old dead guy, why not another woman? A connection is a connection and doesn't necessarily have to be whether people are of the opposite sex.

Just wish it didn't take so long for them to release the tpb's for these storylines.

Yeah, but these two didnt have a connection...at least not a well developed one. The chick was basically off panel most of the series...Buffy finds out the chick loves her, they fight some vamps, they go all nakedy. Buffy and Willow have a connection. Hell, even Buffy and Faith have more of a connection. This chick is basically Buffy's Kennedy...in the sense that she came out of nowhere with little build-up or reason.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:00 am

Well it isn't like she has many options. She lives in a castle full of girls...and Xander.

And it makes sense, to me, that she would go for someone who cares so deeply for her...even if she doesn't feel the same. And it makes even more sense for her to NOT hook up with a close friend. This is something private (or at least it was meant to be). Something hidden. It is a need, nothing more. Whedon has consistently shown that Buffy will go to desperate lengths in search of a connection. I mean, Spike anyone?

So, no, I don't think this is as far fetched as others seem to believe it is.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 am

I am falling so far behind.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:06 am

I kind of wonder if Buffy's repeating history in a way here. Didn't she use Spike the same way after finding out that he was in love with her? I haven't read the issue so I'm not sure if it really goes into Buffy's feelings for the other slayer but there's a chance this could lead to really bad things in the near future if that's the case.
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 am

Personal observation, in conjunction with evidenced collaborated by several former students, one of whom I used to booze and leer at nubile co-eds with and who often concurrently dashed and aroused my fragile sexual psyche by not only revealing the sexuality of girls we mutually found hot (gentlemen, having lesbian friends with similar tastes in women is a hoot and a holler and highly recommended) but also occasionally regaling me with tales of her rather robust conquests, of the sexual proclivities of the undergrads at the all-girl Smith College, circa 1998-2000, back when I was living in Northampton Massachusetts and shacking up with a beautiful (and lamentably straight, see final 1/3 description below) young lady gunning for her Masters at said institute of higher learning.

As a bit of pop-cultural cliche ridden background information, Smith is part of the 5 Colleges of Western Massachusetts that also consists of Amherst, UMass, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire College. Quick shorthand, Scooby-Doo style!
Amherst - Fred
UMass - Scooby
Mount Holyoke - Daphne
Hampshire - Shaggy
Smith - Velma
Northampton itself, a lovely little town that if I was of a certain persuasion would be an ideal place to settle down in, is also known, amongst those in the know about such things, as the Lesbian Capital of the Northeast. In no small part due to Smith, I'm sure, but it's just that type ideal small town...artsy, anti-corporate, far enough away but not really away from it all.
I dug my time there, but I digress.

Anyways, a not very scientific breakdown of the sexual orientation of the undergrads broke down with 1/3 of the girls being outright fanatics of the vajayjay. Sure, there might be an occasional dalliance with a dick or two, either before attending University or, on some drunken/drugged curious evening, while at University. But these ladies aren't cock tamers.

1/3, being young, and some combination of impressionable, confused, adventurous, daring, horny, lonely, drunk/druggin', were, and this was a neologism I always dug, dykeettante's. Dabblers, experimenters, maybe trying to honk off a rich daddy, maybe just genuinely curious, maybe truly bi certainly bi-curious.

and the final third either only use pads, or only use tampons with applicators, so icky do they view their own naughty bits. That may be a bit of a stretch, but despite Smith and NoHo's reputation, there is a fairly strong conservative element at the College. Let's just call this final third breeders and move on then.

Digressions aside, what the following was meant to accomplish was to say that I don't think the Buffster gettin' girl jiggy is out of the realm of possibility, or even that much of a stretch. Take Parker out of the equation, and Buffy has, essentially, been the "boy" in each one of her relationships. Angel, Riley, Spike - the lot of 'em, a bunch of whiny emo bitches. And the fact that she could, and in fact has, knocked the dick snot out of them?
Please, Buffy's always the "man".

She's lonely, confused, disconnected from the Slayettes she created, the only (other) "man" around is her best friend, she's got a dangerous new threat looming (nothing new there, but still), she dropped out of College early and certainly never had any "wild" years.
She's, I imagine, sexually frustrated, pent-up and cooped up in the mother of all kickass hen Castles.
And she's got something more than an admirer in Satsu - who, it's been shown, truly loves her.

And, jeez, just go back and watch Season 6 for the crazy conflicting messages she sent Spike's way - end of one episode they're passionately smooching, beginning of the next she's telling him off.

It's canonical, it makes sense with what I've observed about people, and, to top it off, it's Buffy boffing another chick...what's not to love?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:40 am

I don't really think the LUGs up in Northampton qualify as a good reference point for Buffy comics.

OT, but I still mourn the death of Words and Pictures. Greatest museum on the PLANET.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:02 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

I forgot to put a :wink: after my statement above. Kinda changes the tone a little.
I actually find it fairly in character for Buffy in a way. That being, she has a way of picking bad sexual relationships and then dominating them so that they serve her needs only (Spike). Buffy was starting down this road right off the bat with Saska(name?). Hilariously, she won't be able to treat the relationship this way now, since everyone foundout immeadietly.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:57 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:She's lonely, confused, disconnected from the Slayettes she created, the only (other) "man" around is her best friend, she's got a dangerous new threat looming (nothing new there, but still), she dropped out of College early and certainly never had any "wild" years.
She's, I imagine, sexually frustrated, pent-up and cooped up in the mother of all kickass hen Castles.
And she's got something more than an admirer in Satsu - who, it's been shown, truly loves her.

And, jeez, just go back and watch Season 6 for the crazy conflicting messages she sent Spike's way - end of one episode they're passionately smooching, beginning of the next she's telling him off.

It's canonical, it makes sense with what I've observed about people, and, to top it off, it's Buffy boffing another chick...what's not to love?

Yeah, I think this actually sums up why I was annoyed by the situation. I don't care. Like everyone's pointing out "it makes sense, b/c she did the same thing with [insert sexual partner]." We've seen this story before. Everyone else in the series can fuck till their heart's content and it rarely matters. Whenever Buffy has sex, we have to stop the story so everyone can be shocked that Buffy got laid.

I wanted to see more from Buffy in Season 8. Xander has grown into "Sgt. Fury." Willow and Kennedy are off living their own adventursome life. Giles is the confident watcher of 100s of slayers AND has formed a black-ops duo with Faith. Even Andrew has become a trusted guardian. But Buffy's just doing the same song and dance....feeling lonely in a room full of people who love her.

Joss Whedon did do an interview on the subject, saying:

[quote]“It puts the reader in this ‘Oh my God’ moment,â€
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:43 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:But Buffy's just doing the same song and dance....feeling lonely in a room full of people who love her.

yeah, she's been stuck in dramatic character stasis for a while now, and if that's the root of what's irking you so, one can't argue that.

I'll just say that, in terms of Buffy canon, the demon that resides in her is a loner, and a rebel, and it doesn't take kindly to others. Unless something radical happens w/r/t that, she's unfortunately, always going to be stuck in that "I'm alone, so alone" limbo...a soul alone amongst all those she had a big hand in creating, which, while being redundant, I thought was stressed rather well in ish-11's finale.

The Ginger Man wrote:If she's actually going to form a relationship with this chick that is beneficial to her, helps her grow as a person/character, and is healthy...then hey, I'm all for it. But if this is just another story about how Buffy can't have a normal relationship, except this time with a GIRL (OMG!!!! SHOCK AND AWE?!?!?!?)....i'd rather not waste the time.

I read that interview as well, and I don't think they're going with Satsu being the balm for her troubled soul route...though I wouldn't be surprised if she's the one who ends up betraying Buffy.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I'll just say that, in terms of Buffy canon, the demon that resides in her is a loner, and a rebel, and it doesn't take kindly to others. Unless something radical happens w/r/t that, she's unfortunately, always going to be stuck in that "I'm alone, so alone" limbo...a soul alone amongst all those she had a big hand in creating, which, while being redundant, I thought was stressed rather well in ish-11's finale.

Changing topics here, but didn't the demon get spread around when all the slayers were unlocked? I assumed her powers came from the demon, hence that's where all the slayers' powers came from. Is the demon also in Faith?

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:yeah, she's been stuck in dramatic character stasis for a while now, and if that's the root of what's irking you so, one can't argue that.

Yeah, that's really been my main issue with the series so far. Buffy as a character feels like a retread. On the other hand, I've felt Angel Season 6 has done a great job of moving the title character forward while also keeping things familiar. Won't go into details on that, as it may be spoilers for some in here, but I really like what's been done over there.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still read Buffy. I just hope this diversion with a Slayer pup doesnt end up distracting from what I really want, which is more core character work...the stuff that vanished a bit in Season 7.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Whenever Buffy has sex, we have to stop the story so everyone can be shocked that Buffy got laid.

Well, think about it. Knowing what you know about her...would YOU hit that?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:50 pm

Theta wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:Whenever Buffy has sex, we have to stop the story so everyone can be shocked that Buffy got laid.

Well, think about it. Knowing what you know about her...would YOU hit that?

A very succinct point.
The Vicar

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:16 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:but didn't the demon get spread around when all the slayers were unlocked? I assumed her powers came from the demon, hence that's where all the slayers' powers came from. Is the demon also in Faith?

details on that are kinda sketchy, I thought what Willow did was, somehow, enable the potentials power to be leveled up, but minus the my inner psyche is a demon drawback. The Slayerettes don't seem to have the same intimate relation to the awesome-o power of the demon, at any rate.

Faith got switched on based on Kendra's death, who only got the mantle 'cuz of the Buffsters one minute demise in Season 1. Not sure what Faith's deal with the demon is, exactly, as I thought her wild lawless years were more based on her craptacular upbringing.

Rationalizing inconsistencies (hello Warren!) has been one of the more dubious aspects of Season 8...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:29 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:details on that are kinda sketchy, I thought what Willow did was, somehow, enable the potentials power to be leveled up, but minus the my inner psyche is a demon drawback. The Slayerettes don't seem to have the same intimate relation to the awesome-o power of the demon, at any rate.

Faith got switched on based on Kendra's death, who only got the mantle 'cuz of the Buffsters one minute demise in Season 1. Not sure what Faith's deal with the demon is, exactly, as I thought her wild lawless years were more based on her craptacular upbringing.

Rationalizing inconsistencies (hello Warren!) has been one of the more dubious aspects of Season 8...

Yeah, I remember Kendra. I'd assumed she had the demon as well, until she died. But yeah...who the hell knows.

The Kendra/Faith thing though was always something I wanted to see them delve further into. Thanks to Buffy's one-minute death, she effectively got a pass. The next Slayer was activated and the cycle continued. Except that Buffy came back. She beat the system, she could walk away, someone else would take up the call. I always expected Buffy to wrestle with that, maybe even for Giles to push her in that direction, out of his fatherly love for her. But it never did, and Faith ended up being psycho/popular...so there was no getting around that. Again...oh well.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Okay, I finally got caught up with the comics.

The new big bad is intriguing; I can feel something building there. The plot stuff seems pretty keen, but I have to comment on some Buffy character stuff.

So far she's robbed a bank, reverted to her I'm-so-isolated schtick, and slept with one of her Slayer cronies. WTF? I thought Buffy was over her existential crises? This seems out of character to me. I mean, if you think hard enough you can justify just about anything, but some of this seems to exist more for the shock value than actual character development.

I'm enjoying this new series overall, but the character of Buffy is full of weirdness and it awkwards things up a bit, IMO.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to what Drew Goddard has in store for us. Dracula is back, baby! It's the return of Xander the Butt Monkey! :-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:22 am

Joss has always had Buffy doing things that many of us, and the Scoobies, considered out of character.
The sleeping with Spike bit, fer instance.
He's had her do that before, Joss has,
but you think by this stage of the game
she'd have her shit wired just a bit better.
It's disappointing, honestly.
How many times has she beat death?
Died herself?
And from this she learns?
Nil.

Faith seems, in some respects, and at this stage of the proceedings, better balanced than Buffy.

I wonder if that was done on purpose,
or if it's just in my head?

Why am I asking you?

Do you have my lighter?
The Vicar

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Season Eight"

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:08 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:details on that are kinda sketchy, I thought what Willow did was, somehow, enable the potentials power to be leveled up, but minus the my inner psyche is a demon drawback. The Slayerettes don't seem to have the same intimate relation to the awesome-o power of the demon, at any rate.

Yeah, I remember Kendra. I'd assumed she had the demon as well, until she died. But yeah...who the hell knows.

The Kendra/Faith thing though was always something I wanted to see them delve further into. Thanks to Buffy's one-minute death, she effectively got a pass. The next Slayer was activated and the cycle continued. Except that Buffy came back. She beat the system, she could walk away, someone else would take up the call. I always expected Buffy to wrestle with that, maybe even for Giles to push her in that direction, out of his fatherly love for her. But it never did, and Faith ended up being psycho/popular...so there was no getting around that. Again...oh well.

They did an episode confronting these questions. Buffy's mom, once finding out about Faith, pushed Buffy to quit the Slayer Bussiness.

But I think it all ended with Faith went Apeshit and joined the Mayor...

Oh, and Im missing a few issued (the faith arc) but I jumped back in with this last issue..

It made me excited and annoyed.

I thought that this line was adhering to the SEASON structure, and so far, if this was a proper seaon, we've seen 3 seasons worth of villains show up.

I know with the diffrent writters that they want to tackle diffrent things, but with Dracula back (which Im happy about) What the fuck are they going to do for seaon 9? Season 7 was the RETURN OF THE PAST villian thing already, so why rehash it?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:12 pm

An issue of Buffy and an issue of Angel in the same day?!?! SWEET MERCIFUL ZEUS!!!

Drew Goddard just knocks it out of the park...again. I loved the Dracula/Xander stuff.

"I don't remember you being this racist"

Classic.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 am

What a tease at the end of Wolves at the Gate part 2. A giant Dawn rampaging through Japan! love it.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Vegeta on Fri May 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Well part 3 of "Wolves at the Gate" has been released... any thought?

The artwork continues to be heinous, but the story is okay. Still would like a little more backstory on these japanese vampires. Is the witch just a witch or a witch vampire? How much ass is Xander going to kick on the vampire who smoked his sweetie? How long will Dawn be stuck in Japan and seriously how much mojo did Willow have to summon to get that to happen? Also, is it just me, or does Buffy seem rather clueless of what is going on around her?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby The Vicar on Sun May 18, 2008 8:47 am

What if one of those vamps manages to put the bite on Dawnzilla? A skyscraper sized vamp would be more grief than a over grown lizard with halitosis.

I think that witch working for the vamps is also a vamp.
May just be the clothes.

Time for Xander to really go into Nick Fury mode.
That should be fun.

Buffy does seem to be operating on not her highest level.
Leading your whole army into a trap, on the enemies home turf, is a recipe for disaster. As Xander's almost girlfriend found out.
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books