Comic Book Reviews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: Comic Book Reviews

Postby DennisMM on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks for the info, FG. My LCS owner didn't even mention the ring when I was in yesterday. I'm assuming that meant they either got only one, which the proprietors kept for later sale, or what few they got were given away quickly. I've got too much junk and wouldn't want one, anyway - unless it had a secret compartment with a tiny little Flash uniform.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Incognito

Postby inanegeek on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Incognito

Someone bought me the trade for Christmas. In fact I think it was my mum which makes it more special as those close to me don’t generally indulge me in my “childish” obsessions.
I’m a big Brubaker fan. Loved his Daredevil work, love Captain America, grew to love his X-men and think his Iron Fist run was the perfect example of character reinvention without changing anything integral to the back story. With this in mind I devoured all of his Sleeper books (genius) and then his Criminal books.

For some reason though it has taken me 4 months to get round to reading this.

The premise of the book is what it would be like to be a Super Villain who was in the witness protection program. What if you had to live a mundane life when you used to toss cars into banks for living? Zack Overkill is such a person after testifying against his former boss “Black Death” he now works as a filing clerk. As part of his program Zack is filled full of drugs that suppress his superpowers but by accident he finds that smoking a bit of ganj nullifies the effect. Finding his old powers again he embarks of a spree of vigilante action and this brings him to the attention that he is alive still from his former boss. If I tell you anymore I’ll reveal too much plot. However this is the fault with this book. The first few issues deal with the promised premise but then quickly it turns into what felt like a load of deleted scenes from Sleeper.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s well written, the art is lovely and the structure sound but I felt a bit flat after reading it and would not rate it as high as Brubaker's other work. There are some choice scenes and characters in the book. The scenes of heads blowing up or being punched into a pulp with eyeballs splattering anywhere.

I know this was meant to be a love letter or homage to Doc Savage and other pulp heroes like the Phantom but to be honest I’ve never read any of that stuff so it’s all lost on me.

Strangely enough despite me sounding a bit negative on the whole thing I would recommend it as a read. To those who haven’t read Sleeper or those that maybe like there Superhero comics a little more adult then this is a good book and to those well versed in Bru probably set your expectations a bit lower.

In my view I would have liked to have seen the entire premise carried over the whole book. What if the guy didn’t regain his powers might have been a little more interesting to me as that’s where I thought this was going.

A good solid read but nothing spectacular – 6.5 out of ten
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Brightest Day (Spoilers)

Postby inanegeek on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Brightest Day by Bishop

Blackest Night, I loved it. Yes, it did begin to bow under its own weight, but after all the dust had cleared and all the ties-ins had settled I felt it was one of the best event comics I’ve read. Like all events, in its final stages it began to reset the board for the next major story, Brightest Day (p.s I’m going to keep the spoilers to a minimum).

Like all other fanboys, the gate fold page in BN #8 set my hair on end, and I thought ‘the twelve’ were inspired and intriguing picks (although I guess I’m going to have to wait a little longer for my Ted Kord resurrection). Brightest Day #0 has wet my appetite further.

This is an enjoyable issue, but very much a zero issue. It is all about the set up. Deadman whizzes through the lives of the other 11, raising more questions than your average episode of Lost, setting up some characters stories and turning other characters on their head. It was a mixed bag, but there were far more positives than negatives.

So onto the good the bad and the creepy, first the bad. Out of the twelve, if there was one character I would trade, it would be Jade. It would seem they’re going for the ‘love triangle’ angle but I’m not sure if this is going to have legs. Yes the emotional impact her return will have on Alan Scott might be interesting but this will probably be handled by Robinson in a JLA crossover, so based on my ‘no James Robinson’ policy I’ll never get to see it.

Now some good. I loved the direction they’re taking with J’on J’onnz. This was the standout arc in the book for me. Far be it from me to question the legend that is Grant Morrison, but I never did see the point in killing off The Martian Manhunter. His death in Final Crisis was one of my least favourite parts of the story as the uplift of Libra’s threat never justified the hole J’onn’s death left in the DCU. He’s always been such a tragic character and his return home and the hint of some light at the end of his tunnel had me hooked. I just hope he’s one of the characters Johns and Tomasi have a happy ending for.

I also loved what the book does with Firestorm. I’ve always enjoyed the character but that’s mainly due to my addiction to C-listers. I’ve never really read a good Firestorm story to date, so I’d love to see him become a serious player in the current DCU. The death of Jason’s girlfriend was one of the most gut wrenching moments in BN and it’s obviously left Jason a wreck. Ronnie on the other had is having the time of his new life. The schizophrenic battle between these two promises to be one of the more explosive parts of the story.

Then, there’s the creepy. I really have no idea what was going on in the Maxwell Lord part of the book but it was very strange and I can’t wait to find to where they go with this one.

The only indifference I had to the book was the Aquaman section. This was the arc I was most psyched about and I would have been more than happy to put my money down on an Aquaman Rebirth title but, apart from some soft-core shots of Mera, his section leaves us with very little.

On the whole the book scores a high eight and, as long as they don’t make this series to reliant on tie-ins (a’la Countdown), I can see myself never wanting the Brightest Day to end.
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Cable & Deadpool Ultimate Collection

Postby inanegeek on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:11 pm

I always used to like Deadpool.

He was funny and a little bit out there. He had a good back story and when he turned up you always knew the story was going to be fun. Then something happened. He went mainstream. He was cast in the wolverine Origins film to be played by Ryan Reynolds (and in true Fox style they fxxked up and turned him into Baraka from Mortal Kombat....why on earth would you sew his lips up?!?) and next thing you knew he had 5 or 6 titles. And slowly but surely he’s getting boring. He is a bit like a Spiderman with guns and a bad memory and a penchant for killing for cash.

So total Deadpool overkill and then in my solicitations I receive the Cable and Deadpool Ultimate Collection. Yawn.

Anyway i paid a lot of money for it so i thought i’d best read it. As i’ve mentioned before i love Cable and this series works a treat. It’s almost like an insane buddy cop movie. Deadpool in this first 18 issues is still as mad and insane as ever but his current incarnation in the 7 or 6 series he has now there isn’t another dimension. In this series there are times Deadpool reflects on his insanity and his need to be normal, fixed of cancer, not covered in sores and it is this humanisation that makes his wisecracks and tomfoolery all the more funny and at the same time sad.

As much this book is mainly all about Deadpool but in a Cable led story. The whole arc goes form the two titular heroes hating each other to being trapped together (sometimes literally) and then when things go pear shaped they show a real bond and friendship. Its a lovely journey and probably in such mainstream fodder some of the intricacies would be lost.

Many people will ignore this collection either because they hate Cable or they are Deadpooled out but I will ask people to give it a chance. It does run out of steam a little towards the end of the arc but then it was forced to tie in with House of M but this is almost a Superhero Lethal Weapon or at worst Turner and Hooch.

The re-cap pages are very funny, the letters page too is “hosted” by Deadpool himself. Written by Fabian Niceiza it’s a nice showcase of Deadpool before he went too silly and what you can actually do with Cable when you need to.

I give this collection a solid 8 out of 10.
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Got The Flash #1. Thought the artwork was the bit pants.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:35 pm

I'd say you're generous. Dreadful, inappropriate, amateurish ... all words I'd consider using.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Shield 1 (spoliers)

Postby inanegeek on Wed May 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Got my copy of Jonathan Hickmans Shield series today.

I like Hickman's work. Love the current FF (better than Millar's that came before it) and love Secret Warriors. Secret Warriors itself deals with Shield and its ties to Hydra and another secret organisation. After all who doesn't want to be Nick Fury

From the releases I've seen leading up to this issue coming out I got the idea the series would be dealing with the History of Shield throughout the ages. From ancient Eygyptian times, through to China and Rome and ending up in 50's America. Because as stated I am a big fan of Secret Warriors I thought this would tie in nicely. However it's a little ambiguous and that's not a bad thing.

The story starts with a man in 50s America being picked up by 2 fed looking men (one with an interesting last name) who take him to the secret headquarters of "the Shield" where the history of "the Shield" is briefly explained with some nice cut backs to how "the Shield" fought the Brood, spoke with Celestials and even took on Galactus. Mega Marvel retconning. Of course i refer to it as "the shield" for an obvious reason.

I liked this... from the first issue it's apparent the scope is going to be huge and I'm sure it will all tie in nicely with what we already know about Shield in its everyday guise. Hickman's imagination is wide ranging and weaves together some fantastical set pieces. Like Leonardo Da Vinci's invention which is recognisable to drawings we've seen in school textbooks but a little more sci-fi.

The art by Justin Weaver is very good and suits the historical scope of the project. A lot of the big panels reminded me of the Indian Jones ensemble film posters. It certainly is a gorgeous book.

I think as far as first issues go its a right hook as Shield is part of the backbone of the Marvel Universe and finding out just how it got that way could be a lot of fun. I'm sure this will get better and better

Very solid....9/10
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: New online COMIC!!

Postby RALaMothe on Fri May 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Hello all!
I've been an avid reader of comics for many years and have read a lot of posts on here as well. One of the many complaints I've heard and agreed with of late (particularly with the movies, not comics ) is that stories are running low.
However, I'm not posting here to argue that point, we all have our own views on that - what I AM writing here for -- is your views, or reviews of a new CGI online comic story that I'm writing and producing on my own.

I call it a supernatural/erotic/thriller storyline and would like to invite any and all on here to view the comic for free online and let me know what you think. There's also a poll on the site that you can fill out and let me know what aspects you like or disliked about the comic.

The site is: http://fearthechimera.com

I look forward to hearing your views and opinions and thank you for the opportunity!

RA LaMothe :D :idea:
RALaMothe
GLIB

Postby inanegeek on Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 pm

I remember going on holiday a couple of years back and my brother lent me a copy of the first book in Stephen Kings Dark Tower saga.

Now that holiday i also read Neil Gaimans American Gods which just blew me away so I kind of forgot the Dark Tower and didn’t continue to read any of the other books.

Marvel Comics has been publishing Mini-Series since February 2007 based on flashbacks that the main Character Roland Deschain has in the novels. And so far I have collected each one. Having just re-read the latest series the battle for Jericho Hill I thought I would bring you all up to speed and recommend this as a comic for non comic book fans.

The setting is a world that incorporates a cross between Fantasy and Westerns. In the books a Gunslinger called Roland is on a quest to find the Dark Tower. I’ve not read a lot of Stephen King but my brother tells me that along his journey Roland meets and interacts with various people from other Stephen Kings books. So far there have been seven books.

The comics are set as prequels to the Novels and explain why Roland became....Roland.

So far there have been 5 minis and a one shot. The first series was the 7 issue Gunslinger Born. I remember buying the first issue on the basis alone it was written by Peter David who is one of my favourite writers and illustrated beautifully by Jae Lee.

The art in these books is absolutely breathtaking. Each comic at the end has some more details revealed in standard prose about the Word of the Dark Tower and usually you get some of Jae Lees pencil work. These are worth the cover price alone to look at.

There are some great characters in the books too. Roland the Gunslinger is probably the worst. Always serious and boring its the characters around him that bring the entertainment. The Bad guys the Good Man Farson and Maerlyn the wizard are just pure evil, men who want to see the world burn just because they can.

It’s such a delight to read and full of twists and surprises it is difficult to tell you anything without spoiling it.

I seriously recommend jumping on board with these comics as soon as possible and buying the trades. They are rich and multi layered and will appeal to Stephen King fans, comic fans who like a little less Superhero and fans of the game Fallout (you’ll see what I mean if you read them).
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Action Comics #890: Paul Cornell, recently announced DC Exclusive writer, has a firm grasp on sci-fi concepts. This is no surprise, considering he has written for Doctor Who, and this talent is on display in excellent fashion in this issue of Action Comics. I always love when they use Action Comics to tell stories about other characters in the Superman family (as opposed to using somebody ELSE in the Superman comic, which is less cool) and a chance to set Cornell loose on Lex Luthor was something I was eager to see. The result is absolutely enjoyable and may have been the best book of the week. I can't wait to see how long this lasts and I am l hope DC is smart enough to let Paul Cornell be a pillar in their future plans. 4/5

Birds of Prey #2: Gail Simone was taken off of Wonder Woman and given the chance to return to BoP, much to the joy of many fanboys (this one included). BoP was always a great read and seeing Gail leave that title was hard. She slips naturally into the voices of the Birds, but is also given the chance to write Hawk and Dove. She also introduces an interesting new nemesis, the White Canary. This is not groundbreaking stuff, but it is well worth a read. 3/5

DCU: Legacies #2: I originally had no interest in this book, but I picked up issue #1 based on positive reviews. I am so glad that I did because Wein and the stable of artists he is paired with have really done an excellent job going through DC's history. Len Wein's writing is pitch perfect and I got to read about new awesome characters like the Newsboy Legion! This issue also has a Seven Soldiers of Victory story by JH Williams III. Definitely worth the price. 4/5

Flash #2, 3: Barry Allen was never my Flash. First, it was Wally and then briefly Bart, but never Barry. Still, Johns is a capable hand and he certainly crafts an interesting story, however, I still haven't connected to Barry the way I connected to the other Flashes. I do love the art by Francis Manapul and the idea of the Reverse-Rogues is a cool one. Johns is great at stuff like this, but as I say it means nothing without that emotional attachment to Barry. 3/5

Green Arrow #1: I was hesitant to try this book out because of how awful the Arrow family has been handled recently. Cry for Justice was a travesty of storytelling and Rise of Arsenal is best left unmentioned. However, I always dug Green Arrow and Johns had been touting Krul's work on this book so I figured I would give it a shot. The first half of the book was all my worst fears manifested. It was atrociously cliche and filled with nothing but awkward dialogue. I had just about written the book off when things suddenly began to turn. Krul unleashed a torrent of intriguing new characters and ended the book with a cliffhanger that will have me returning for the next issue. I just hope it is more like the second half than the first. 2.5/5

Northlanders #29: Brian Wood's Viking book is a fascinating read month in and month out. It may be difficult to sell considering it has no set cast or setting or anything to really hook the reader in. That is, nothing other than solid storytelling. This stand-alone issue really focuses on themes of globalization and alienation as what was once unknown becomes known and the world shrinks (and this takes place in AD 760. Oh, and did I mention there is also some trippy sequences? Yeah, it is impressive. Wood never really disappoints. 4/5

Unknown Soldier #21: This has been a fantastic series from the beginning. The way it uses the Unknown Soldier concept is fantastic. The geopolitical themes of the book and the level of research done by the creative team really lend credibility. I was afraid that it might seem condescending to write a comic book about African conflicts, but it never feels that way. This issue is especially informative. It tells the story of the AK-47 and in particular ONE AK-47 from its creation to the point we are at in our story. It is an informative and crushing read. I would have preferred if the team had used a little less text and let the art tell the story, but that might just be me. 4.5/5

Wonder Woman #600: Probably one of the more controversial books to come out in recent memory. DC caused quite the stir when they changed up Diana's origin and her costume. There was even mainstream press coverage (the announcement was made in the NYT). This stands as one of the better anniversary issues (it is as good, but much different then the awesome Batman #700) as it focuses on who WW was to others and also gives a solid read as to what direction she is heading. Gail's story is good, but it is George Perez who shines there. Amanda Conner has a really cute short story as a writer/artist. For me, the real treat was the combo of Johns/JMS delivering us the new direction. To me, it seems cool. Mainly because I am absolutely positive this is all just one big storyline and most things will return to normal at the conclusion. However, it is a nice chance to put Diana through the ringer. As for the costume change, I actually enjoy it. The jacket is a bit 90s, but the rest makes sense. Honestly, I hated looking at WW in that skimpy outfit. It made me feel like a perv at all times. This IS more practical and I am fine with that. All in all, this was a great read and definitely has me pumped for JMS to take over the book. 3.5/5
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:13 am

I agree completely on The Flash, Lecko. Barry Allen wore the red suit until after I was out of college, but to me he was never more than a face and a body. His story, apart from the two-years-long death of Zoom/trial of Barry story, always seemed gimmick-based. They were not about a character so much as a superpower. For me, Wally is The Flash. He's far more interesting than Barry ever was and has been since he returned. (And maybe I'll write some more about why, and how, soon. I hope so.) I was not the biggest fan of Johns's take on Wally, much preferring Mark Waid's work, but Johns did a far better job then than he does now. Not going on my hold list.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:50 am

Yeah, I just have no real love for the character. I don't know much about his relationship to Iris. Barry, ever since I have been reading comics, has been defined exclusively by his absence. That is all I know about him.

I can't really decide if I want to keep reading this. I love Flash stories. They can be so much fun, but I just wish I had that emotional attachment. Ah, well.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:41 pm

SPOILERS!

It was a pretty simple relationship, at least for comics. They met, they fell in love, he revealed his identity, they got married, she was killed by Professor Zoom, the Reverse-Flash. Barry mourned a long while, met another woman, almost got married to her, stopped Zoom from killing her at their wedding by choking Zoom to death. Inadvertently, of course. Barry went to jail, went to trial and was acquitted of manslaughter. In the last issue of his comic, we learned Iris was alive. She was really from the far future and had been sent back as a baby for her safety. When she died, her mind was pulled back to the future and put in a new body. She and Barry went to the future, where he retired very briefly and they conceived twin children.

Then came the Crisis. Barry came back to the 20th and died/went into the speed force. The speed force hadn't been created at that point, so he was just dead. They told us he was going to stay dead, dammit! Waid created the idea of a loved one being the anchor that allows one to leave the speed force. But if that was the case, why didn't Barry find his way out ages ago? Wally could. We're told now that Barry actually generates the speed force, which is ridiculous.

I'm so underwhelmed by Johns that I'm not keeping Rebirth or #1-3 of the new series. Maybe someone else will enjoy them.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey, hey! Reviews! I have a TON of things to review. I got so many books from Con and the many many back issues I haven't gotten around to reviewing. Hopefully, I can keep a steady stream going until I am all caught up.

For now, though:

Sandman TPB vol. 1 + 2: Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN is always mentioned alongside WATCHMEN, THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, and the like. It is heralded as a comic to bring in the non comic reading crowd. And if you trust the forewords, it was a book that brought in a huge number of female readers. For some strange reason I simply never got around to reading any of THE SANDMAN until now. Even with all of the hype, the book really does bring the goods. Two volumes in and I am so hooked. It is all so ridiculously fun and spooky and surreal. I think my favorite thing is the relationship between Cain and Abel. Fantastic, fantastic stuff. My only gripe is that those damn Absolute Editions are so pricey. I want them desperately. Oh well, I have vol. 3, 4, and 5 on the way. Another quick tidbit, between SANDMAN and SWAMP THING I now desperately would love to write an Etrigan The Demon ongoing book. Come on, DC you know it would rock! 5/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:26 am

More reviews! From July 28th (mostly)!

Holla!

Action Comics #890 - 891: Paul Cornell is a fantastic writer. His work on Doctor Who and Captain Britain have proved that quite convincingly. However, his work on these two issues of Action Comics have announced his presence at DC in such a profound way it is ludicrous. He will be wildly successful in the near future and everyone will know his name and we will look back and point to these issues as the moment when we knew. Lex Luthor has rarely been more relatable than he is within the pages of these two books. The concepts presented by Cornell are hilarious and informative all at the same time. The dream sequence in 891 is so awesome and so revealing it is maddening. How can this man be this talented? And to top it off we have Pete Woods showcasing his tweeked style, which is quite excellent. Go out and buy this book. The man is also really nice, too. Which doesn't hurt. 4.5/5

Batman - The Return of Bruce Wayne #04: To fully appreciate Grant Morrison I think you need to hear him speak about his books. He has such a clear vision for his work and when you hear him articulate it and then read the book you instantly get it. Thankfully, his work on this book is also enjoyable on a purely superficial level. Batman journeying through time as a caveman, pilgrim, pirate, and cowboy? Yes, please. But it also is a book with a very clear purpose. Batman is more than simply a man. It is an idea that is everlasting. He is always needed. No matter the era or situation. It is a fantastic take on the character and one that has me interested for the first time in Batman and Bruce. This issue also guest stars Jonah Hex, which is always a plus. Morrison is my favorite writer actively working today. He may very well be my second favorite writer of all time right behind Alan Moore and his best work has been released in the last 5 years, IMO. It rarely gets any better than this. 4.5/5

Fantastic Four #581: Hickman is really gearing up for something big with SHIELD and Fantastic Four. The titles are just now beginning to come into a synergy that I imagine will pay off in spades. Hickman is a writer that has more than earned my trust. This issue we see the return of future Franklin and introduces future Val and Reed's dimension hopping father. There are so many high concepts in this one issue, which I fully appreciate. Grant Morrison made a comment in San Diego that you should always cram as much as possible into a comic. Never leave anything for later. The books now are expensive and even if something is never fully developed you are leaving things for other writers to pick up on. It is the writers duty to plant the seeds for this universe. Hickman is the best writer today that embodies that notion. Epting is coming on soon as the regular penciler. I will miss Eaglesham, but I look forward to what this book has in store for me. 4/5

Green Arrow #02: The direction of the Arrow-verse in DC has been awful as of late. I mean, beyond awful. Cry for Justice was a disaster, which I couldn't imagine being upstaged until the even more disastrous Rise of Arsenal. Unfortunately, JT Krul was responsible for the latter book and he is also the writer of this book. However, issues #01 was a complete surprise. I actually really dug it. There was a great new protagonist and a very interesting mystery with the forest in Star City. The momentum does not continue, unfortunately, into this issue. The pacing is downright awkward and the art is maddeningly inconsistent. Ollie Queen has always been a great character with wonderfully defined relationships. Let's hope we see more of that in later issues. But I am less hopeful than I was before. 2.5/5

Green Lantern #56: The Green Lantern book had sort of floundered post-Blackest Night. Fortunately, Geoff Johns does not let his books flounder long and this issue REALLY kicked things into an awesome gear. Hector Hammond graduates from creepy to...SUPER creepy with that final page. Fantastic work by Mahnke there. This issue also feature Larfleeze, probably the funniest new character in a while. This all adds up to awesomeness. 4/5

Teen Titans #85: Felicia D. Henderson is the worst comic book writer I have ever encountered in mainstream comics. Without question. I would waste another word on this atrocity. 0.5/5

Unknown Soldier #22: When it was announced that this book would be ending with issue 25 I was very disappointed. The book has been dealing with complex issues of geopolitics in a very sophisticated fashion...with lots of violence to make it tolerable for the masses. Unfortunately, the masses didn't get the memo. The good thing is that this gives the creative team a very clear path to the finish line. Another bonus is that these last issues are apparently being printed on a better paper than other Vertigo offerings. It really makes a difference, the colors pop so much more. Joshua Dysart should be very proud of what he accomplished with this book and I look forward to reading the conclusion to the story he has been so expertly crafting. 3.5/5

Wonder Woman #601: JMS and DC caused quite a fuss when they changed the iconic costume Wonder Woman has had since her inception for one with more leather. Those not dialed all the way up to 11 on their fanboy rage amplifiers noted that this pretty obviously just a big storyline that JMS was telling and not a permanent change. That fact was driven home pretty hard in the first true issue of JMS' run on the book as Diana's revamped origin is revealed and we see glimpses of the massive story shaping up. Who is the shadowy figure in the background? Why would the gods want to alter the timeline? Who benefits? I can't wait to see this play out. JMS seems pretty liberated writing this book. That freedom usually makes for interesting stories. 3/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:24 am

I have been reading a lot of "alternative" books lately. I use that term loosely, because these are all fairly mainstream for "alternative" books. However, I really have fallen in love with Drawn & Quarterly as a publisher. I love the way they package their books. The beautiful hardcovers. I won't bother giving these books scores as I traditionally do. These are equally fantastic and they have my highest recommendation.

So here is what I have been reading:

Acme Novelty Library #18: Chris Ware has reached a very broad level of success as a cartoonist. His work has appeared in the New Yorker and McSweeney's, to much acclaim. His book Jimmy Corrigan is widely viewed as a modern masterpiece of comics. Acme Novelty Library is where he puts all of his work on display. Sometimes, he serializes a story, others are contained to individual installments of Acme. The current story he is serializing is Rusty Brown, which is about a grown man-child who collects action figures. I just love the freshness of Ware's visuals and the care and singularity of his vision. The presentation of each book is something to behold and the content is certainly worthy of the packaging. If you haven't yet discovered Jimmy Corrigan, do so immediately. If you loved that book and are not reading Acme Novelty Library, well what the hell? This is some of the most original and yet accessible work being published in comics. A real triumph of the medium.

Berlin: Book One: The comic book medium has seen great success with historical fiction. Bronze Age, From Hell, Maus (granted, this one has mice...), and so many more. Berlin is right up there with those books for me. Jason Lutes' book about late 1920's Berlin is instantly captivating. The character work is sublime and the European influence evident in the art couldn't be more appropriate. The line work is confident and Lutes uses his art to spectacular effect in telling the story. The jump from the street level to the cityscapes flow wonderfully and really place the reader in the city. What a magnificent book. I can't wait to devour the second one and then collect the pamphlets of book three. A thrilling examination of a revolutionary moment in time. Berlin is really a dynamic work.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:39 am

Great reviews Lecko, it's about time you took a gander at ACME Novelty Library! Way to fall behind. :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Great reviews Lecko, it's about time you took a gander at ACME Novelty Library! Way to fall behind. :wink:

There is only so much time!

But I am quite embarrassed, especially considering Ware is a Chicago guy. Rest assured, I won't be missing anymore.

Next up: R.E.B.E.L.S., George Sprott, and Berlin: Book Two!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:41 pm

R.E.B.E.L.S. #1-15 (including the Annual): Tony Bedard was a writer that I hadn't paid much attention to except when he was part of the core group of writers working on Countdown. That book was obviously a colossal failure, but the blame for that falls on many shoulders and not just Bedard's alone. This is a long way of saying I hadn't really formed an opinion of the man's talents. He had written some things I tolerated (a few issues of Birds of Prey, namely) but that was really only a handful of issues. However, there had been considerable buzz about his work on REBELS and I finally got around to seeing for myself what it was all about. In short, the book is fairly awesome. The first few issues feature the outstanding art of Andy Clarke whose clean line work is such a treat. Clarke left the book after the first arc, but the art hasn't really suffered much because of it. The real star, however, is Vril Dox. He is such a fantastically douchey main character. He shines even more surrounded by a great supporting cast that makes him stand out even more. What Bedard has created is a living, breathing cosmic political landscape, which when paired with the Green Lantern work of late makes the stars one of the, erm, shining stars of the DC Universe. The only real controversy the book has faced is Bedard's reimagining of the Starro concept. At first, it seems silly and overly 90s in nature, but it slowly becomes more interesting and once you reach the Annual you will be fully on board. In all honesty, the Annual is really what makes this book burn the brightest in a crowded comics marketplace. That was a spectacular bit of storytelling which really lifted the entire Starro arc. 3.5/5

Secret Six #24: I have never really been fond of books starring villains. For some, villains are way more interesting than heroes but I have never been of that mind. Of course, a great villain can really elevate a hero, but ultimately I read books to follow a heroes story. There are a few exception to this, Killing Joke being one of them. But this aversion to villain centric stories was what kept me away from Secret Six. I had read glowing reviews for the book, but I kept convincing myself it wouldn't be my thing. And honestly, it still might not be. However, this issue caught my attention because of the premise. The story takes place in the wild west with no explanation why the characters were there. It is a bizarre "What If?" tale that really grabbed hold of my curiosity. My heavens, am I glad that I did because this was one of the most entertaining and well written single issues I have read this year. The book has a sharp wit and a Deadwood-like feel to it. So much is accomplished within the pages of the book that I can't help but applaud Ms. Simone for really doing her best to make this book worth your 2.99. I feel compelled to read the next issue, but it will be difficult for anything to live up to what a great one-and-done story issue #24 was. Well done. 5/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:15 pm

In lieu of a proper review, I'd just like to say that Batman: Odyssey #1 is a disgrace. Why was Adams not forced to take on a writing partner or at least a scripter? His dialogue is inept, as it has been on almost everything he has written over the course of 30 years. He is truly the prototype for early Image. The art is competent, though hardly on the level of his greatest work. Competent Neal Adams still beats most artists' best all to Hell. 4/10.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:30 pm

I feel I should comment on Ex Machina #50, the final issue and wrap-up of the story, but there's little I can say about the plot or action without indulging in unfortunate spoilers. Bryan K. Vaughan takes the themes of the story to a logical but troubling end point. Mitchell Hundred began as an idealized hero, believing direct action was the way to help New York City. He decided he could use political influence to affect his world more powerfully. In the end, that decision was proven correct.

Was it the right decision? Was powerful, direct influence more desirable than a quiet, moral influence? F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote, with reason, "Show me a hero, and I'll show you a tragedy." The fifty issues of Ex Machina have shown us what a heroic individual may compromise to survive as a powerful figure. In #49, Hundred said, "I'm a politician ... I lie." That admission was the penultimate step in either his rise or fall, depending upon whether one embraces idealism or realpolitik. We've seen Hundred lean both ways.

Vaughan leaves the ethical decision to the reader. In this last installment, we see Hundred make decisions and perform acts that would have seemed very much out of character in early issues. Some would have been considered unthinkable and, in fact, Hundred views them as such, himself. The last pages leave us with more questions than answers. Among them is this: To whom was Hundred talking as he narrated the opening and closing moments of this series? it's a meta feature that doesn't sit quite right with me.

8/10 for quality, 6/10 for my own outrage
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:15 pm

I haven't gotten around to Ex Machina #50 yet. I am really looking forward to it though.

However, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on Kirbys THE DEMON series. I love Etrigan the Demon. He just rocks as a supporting player whenever he shows up. And I was looking into picking up the omnibus of that book and Kirbys FOURTH WORLD. Any thoughts?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 pm

I have not read The Demon since its original publication 40 years ago. I seem to remember finding it odd, as I did most of Kirby's DC comics of the early '70s. Of course, I was not quite 10 years old, so I may not have been the intended audience. I really doubt you'll find anything that resembles the modern character, and someone like the Witch Boy is not likely to resonate with the image presented by Morrison. Sorry I can't give you more.
DennisMM

Postby geekgrrl on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:31 pm

I remember a film from the early 60′s called Village of the Damned. It was British and was science fiction short on effects but long on story. Adapted from The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham, it tells the story of a group of children born in the same village at the same time and all of them have these weird eyes and can do horrifying unexplainable things with their minds. Each child is individually scary but as a group they link and tear the world a new asshole. In Freakangels, that is exactly what they do.....

http://lostinreviews.com/2010/12/tf-freakangels/
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby REDBAZ on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi All

I'm production editor for an internationally distributed print magazine about comics and I'm looking to recruit reviewers of comics and related media. If you fancy it, contact us at editor@enginecomics.co.uk with samples.

Cheers

baz
"Sometimes, diplomacy doesn't work. Sometimes, you've just got to punch an alien in the face."

Organiser: http://www.eaglesinitiative.com
Publisher: http://enginecomics.co.uk
Art Monkey: http://enginecomics.blogspot.com/
REDBAZ
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:32 pm

REDBAZ wrote:Hi All

I'm production editor for an internationally distributed print magazine about comics and I'm looking to recruit reviewers of comics and related media. If you fancy it, contact us at editor@enginecomics.co.uk with samples.

Cheers

baz

Will we get free comics?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby REDBAZ on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Fried Gold,

We receive preview pdfs from a variety of publishers. Our reviewers are added to the contact list and would receive them also, on the provision of course that the previews aren't publically disseminated.

When we do get physical comics, graphic novels or books these are mailed out to (UK based) reviewers when needed.

I'm looking for reviewers of mainstream books primarily, Marvel and Dc etc, though indie coverage is also welcomed, as are reviews of comic related films/games/podcasts.

While reviewers aren't paid they do receive a copy of the printed mag.

Any further questions please don't hesistate to ask.

cheers

baz
"Sometimes, diplomacy doesn't work. Sometimes, you've just got to punch an alien in the face."

Organiser: http://www.eaglesinitiative.com
Publisher: http://enginecomics.co.uk
Art Monkey: http://enginecomics.blogspot.com/
REDBAZ
GLIB

Brightest Day 17 Review

Postby inanegeek on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 pm

http://www.inanegeek.com/2011/01/bright ... eview.html

my mate did this

Brightest Day has been an interesting book to review. Ultimately its an enjoyable story, but by reading bi weekly you never really get a full grasp of whats going on. Its packed with interesting characters, but rarely takes the time to do each of them justice and lacks the focased narrative of its sister book, Justice League: Generation Lost.

That said, as the book races for the finish line, it is become more consisitent, and issue 17 is probably the most i've enjoyed the book since its first few entries. There is a sense that all the pieces are begining to slide into place.

This issue focuses on Firestorm, Deadman (?) and The Hawks. I'm personally enjoying the Firestorm arc, where other reviewers are not. Its a little OTT at times but I like the high concept sci-fi stuff and its nice to see the character be garnered with this much attention. I also like the way that his story seems to be heading towards a tie in with Green Lantern Corps, giving us maybe just a slight glimpse at the much bigger picture.

Deadman has been the linchpin of the book throughout, and an issue is stronger if it has him in it. This may be his best few scenes yet as we see the character really start to come to life (excuse the pun). There are some real touching moments in here as well, but I do get an undercurrent of impending darkness and I personally don't think Boston is heading for a happy ending.

Unfortunately The Hawks portion of the story is still a let down. It just seems convaluted and confusing and, within the confines of this story, its nearly impossible to follow their story and who they are fighting. Again its nice to see them tie in to the larger Green Lantern Universe, but ultimatley I feel these characters will leave Brightest Day as damamged as they were going in.

All in all though, Johns and Tomasi are bgining to pull it together here and I'm starting to get excited again for where this one's going to end up.
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Superboy 3 Review

Postby inanegeek on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 pm

and he did this

http://www.inanegeek.com/2011/01/superboy-3-review.html

Supeboy 3 does little to pull itself out of my pull lists relagation zone this week. I started following the book due to Lemire's stellar work on Sweet Tooth (not to mention my 2010 cover of the year on issue 1), however this book really hasn't grown any teeth yet and (it pains me to say this) is in danger of becoming a kind of psudo Smallville in comic format.

Yes, Lemire handles the teen superhero/highschool drama effortlessly, and his dialogue is fun and fresh but the book itself seems to be 90% Connor making friends and 10% monster of the week. The book focuses heavy on the supporting cast but in truth i'm not really sure I like any of them. I'm not really totally on board with Gallo's art here either, its just too cartoony and I feel it doesn't match the story Lemire's trying to tell (why could't they just let Lemire draw this himself!).

With all this said, there is something in this book that is appealing to the optimist in me, something underneath what Lemire's doing here telling me to keep coming back and assuring me that things are going to get better, so keep coming back I will until the next cut comes along. Here's hoping Mr. Lemire pulls another hit out of the bag before then.
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby inanegeek on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Elephantmen Trade #1 Review

Sometimes when looking at the latest solicitations I go on a whim and order a random book. Maybe I liked the cover, maybe the name. Usually I go for something I know nothing about. In the past I’ve been pleasantly surprised by books such as Rex Mundi or Atomika.

So one of my whims was the Elephantmen Vol. 1 by Richard Starkings, collecting issues 0-7 with some juicy extras.

I received the book in December delivery from my good friends at Forbidden Planet International (check them out if in the UK, they’re brilliant http://www.forbidden-planet.co.uk/) and still it sat there whilst everything and anything else I had to read was consumed before the book. Even my old Booster gold trades got re-read before eventually forcing myself to start reading Elephantmen.

The nice trade I got started off with an introduction by Jonathan Ross who is a massive comic fan and British TV personality. In his intro he explained how he felt about Elephantmen and how he couldn’t be bothered to read it but then did. It was a bit like the girl you kind of fancied but couldn’t bring yourself to ask out for fear of ridicule.

Anyway I’m waffling. I’m sure you want to know what I thought. As usual I’ll give away minimal spoilers and actually review the material instead of telling you.

Elephantmen is to put it mildly the biggest surprise I’ve ever had reading a comic. I read issue 1 in the trade. Put it down went for a Smokey Thingie…absorbed what I just read and went back and re-read that issue. It’s amazing and probably the best trade I bought last year…even if I read it this year. I’ll also admit I was finding the big 2 a little stale, too many events, too many creator switcheroos and had lost a bit of passion for comics but then a book like Elephantmen comes out that reminds you why you love comics.

The story revolves around the so called Elephantmen. Have human half African animal hybrids that in a couple of 100 years live among us humans and deal with the prejudice and nastiness etc. you’d expect. Nothing original there you might point out. The X-men have dealt with this before. Well yes and no. The stories themselves start off as one off pieces that don’t seem to have anything to do with each other but then they suddenly link to each other to reveal a well thought out plan.

The stories themselves make you feel for the character more than you would a man who can shoot lasers from his eyes. Maybe it’s a British thing but you almost feel that the Elephantmen although mostly human are animals. They are drawn with such human emotions that we like to think we see all day every day within our animals and you then begin to identify with them and buy into them. If you add to the mix the lush artwork and tight well knitted vocabulary and pacing you just get an amazing read.
I can’t recommend this as much and will leave it at that in case I give anything anyway. I would be happier you reading this and going through the motions just as I did.

Buy it….buy it now!

http://www.inanegeek.com/2011/01/elepha ... eview.html
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:10 pm

I am not sure why this review was in the Movie Discussion thread... :?

In any case, M0V3D!!1one
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Brightest Day 18

Postby inanegeek on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 am

Recently Brightest Day has begun to shake the lethargy of its second act, with each issue increasing in quality as the story draws to a close. Whilst this has been the case, i must admit that the spotlight cover on The Hawks made me sigh. Judging by internet consensus i'm not alone in thinking their arc has been the weakest and by far the most difficult to follow. Thankfully, the work put into this storyline paid dividends. This is easily the strongest issue in the series so far, and this is thank, in most part, to The Hawks.

Overall the issue focuses on more characters than usual, and the quick cuts between scenes early on are perfectly executed and help ramp up the tension and anticipation for the ending perfectly. Each snapshot effortlessly raises more questions than they answer and, best of all, everything is slowly begining to link back together, which I began to doubt would happen in the middle of the story.

As discussed The Hawks are the main focus of the books and there arc comes to a close here in an ending that will tug at event the most blackened heart strings. Ironically, after wishing this story would just hurry up and wrap, I find myself secretly wishing that this isn't how Carter and Shiera's story ends.

Ivan Reis' art is strong throughout as always, he captures the emotion perfectly in every panel, and lets face it there's a lot to capture. I'm looking forward to where he'll go when this book wraps, i'd like to see him expand from the GL universe now and get his teeth intosomething different,like Gleason is doing on Batman and Robin.

So in closing, issue 18 has finally peaked my excitement levels for the series, and put them back where they were before it started. The Hawks' story was closed beautifully and, as it closes, I get the feeling that this is only the start of what is going to be a huge and emotionally draining culmination to the book. Lovely stuff 8.5 on 10.

http://www.inanegeek.com/2011/01/bright ... eview.html
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Brightest Day has really been a disappointment. Especially compared to the much more successful/enjoyable Generation Lost. And what the hell? Deadman and Dove?

That sure as hell came out of nowhere.

Anyway, I should be coming out with a SLEW of reviews. I have been reading a lot of stuff lately.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:36 pm

27 #1 - 2: The first of two new books from Image that begin with high minded concepts. 27 tells the story of a famed rock guitarist who has lost the ability to use his main hand. Desperate in his search for a cure, he comes into contact with a crazed mad scientist who convinces him that he can cure his hand, but for a price. His cure? Making a deal with a pandimensional creature: the number 9. It all goes wrong and the guitarist is left with a weird device fused to his chest, which, when used allows him crazy artistic abilities for 3 hours at a time. Unfortunately, he can only use it 27 times before it kills him. Hovering in the background is the idea that many great music artists died at the age of 27 (Cobain, Hendrix, etc.) but it is uncertain how this group plays into the story at this time. Got all of that? Of course, the story seems a bit odd but it does a decent enough job of maintaining suspense as to what is coming next. WIth a story such as this, you need to have faith in the creator to fully understand and explain such an outrageous concept and thus far I haven't been discouraged by what I've read. The concept is a novel one and the execution has been competent. The art may not be for everyone with it's rough style so be sure you give the book a look before buying. Ultimately, this is a book that you can only recommend on your faith that the conclusion will satisfy. I'd say, take the risk. 3.5/5

Infinite Vacation #1: Nick Spencer has, in a brief amount of time, elbowed his way into the comic book stratosphere. Beginning with Existence 2.0/3.0 and following it up with two new Image books (Morning Glories and this book) and high profile DC books (Jimmy Olsen and T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), you would be hard pressed to find a more visible rising star in the industry. His secret to success? High concepts, cinematic storytelling, and oversaturation. He just has SO many books! This new book, Infinite Vacation is probably his most novel idea, yet. An iPhone App that allows the user to travel to parallel worlds and live whatever life they'd like. It is really cool to think about. And the way it is handled is quite fun. The potential in this series is off the charts, the storytelling possibilities are, forgive me, infinite. But the real star here is the art, which pops off the page. The combination of Christian Ward's pencils and whomever colored the book (I can't find it at the moment, but hopefully I'll give credit where its due later) is a winning one. There is even a real cool sequence utilizing real photography. This is a very creative and promising book from a creator whose stock is rising fast. 4/5

Secret Six #27 - 29: Gail Simone's Secret Six has been one of the best reviewed titles that DC offers. It isn't hard to understand why. Gail combines violence, dark comedy, and a real affinity for her characters. Each member of the team is a fully realized character, which fuels the comedy and the drama. She is also afforded the luxury of setting most of her stories in the gray area between good and bad, which she navigates so masterfully. Further, the eclectic cast lends itself to bizarre situations as evidenced by the cover to issue 27 featuring Bane riding a dinosaur Jesus style. And yes, it is as awesome as you would imagine. The team is split in two and the battleground is a strange place with dinosaurs. As I said, strange situations. The whole thing allows Simone to realize a Secret Six sandals and swords epic. It doesn't disappoint. The last issue is a continuation of the Action Comics appearance featuring Lex Luthor and Vandal Savage. It is framed by Dollman's narration from heaven. So awesome. And finally, FINALLY someone addresses the stupid murder of Ryan Choi. It is just really embarrassing for DC that it took months for it to happen and it is not a hero, but GIGANTA that takes revenge. And I am sure it would have remained ignored if not for Gail. Sigh. 4/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Secret War - Bendis

Postby inanegeek on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:21 am

You might be asking why review a comic that is is 7 years old now...

The reason is that after in the hype leading up to Marvels Siege event we were told that this event along with Avengers Disassembled etc led into House of M, then Civil War, World War Hulk and so on so i got thinking now i know the supposed ending how many Easter eggs or clues were in the "start".

In short the story is about Nick Fury recruiting a super team of super heroes to battle an array of high tec villains who have received serious boosts to their equipment from the temporary Latverian ruler Lucia Von Barda (Doom was in hell or something). Fury originally went to the US government to tell them that Von Barda was planning atrocities on US soil with the amped up villains but due to political sponsorship the government tell Fury not to attack Von Barda. Fury is as Fury does though and soon with a small army of superheroes launches an attack on Latveria and what follows is a clever political plot of espionage and intrigue as we see the story through the eyes of Maria Hill (Fury's replacement) as through interviews she pieces together what happened and why no one remembers it.

The stand out part of the series is the art. Its beautifully painted with dark moody colours by Gabrielle Dell'Otto a man whose wonderful Annihilation covers stand out as some of the best I've ever seen.

As with a lot of Bendis' work the comic is very wordy. A lot of talking and at the time it may have come across to the mainstream audience as different in Super-hero comics but now is the Bendis style and often imitated.

So on the whole its a good story and a fantastic looking comic and yes it set up a few things for later events like Nick Fury having to be underground and his ties cut from SHIELD but I couldn't find any hints of what was about to happen. But it is a dense, adult comic (well as much as a story about grown men in tights can be adult without being kinky) and one that probably not only deserves to be read but deserves to be read every so often as well. Not because its a classic in the vein of Watchmen but because it is so different to anything Marvel had out at the the time or has now. There are of course some nods to the state America found herself in on 9/11 and again as a piece of work is interesting to see the relevance in the time it was written in and now how we can reflect on those days and where we are now because of it.

http://www.inanegeek.com/2011/01/bendis ... eview.html
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Mass Effect Evolution 1 Review

Postby inanegeek on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:22 am

I love Mass Effect, love it. I hold both games in the highest regard, in fact I rate them in line with my favourite movies. However, i'm not one for game tie-in comics, and I would usually write them off a cash cows. Despite numerous positive reviews I did not read Mass Effect Redemption for this very reason. But in flicking through the solicits I discovered that this comic and the last mini series were written by the lead writer on Mass Effect 2. This was a game changer for me, it assured quality and meant that this book could really matter in the grand scheme of the Mass Effect Universe. In short I was sold and thankfully the book did not disappoint.

Set during the first contact war (this'll mean something to you Mass Effect fans out there), the book sets out to fill in the blanks regarding one of the game's most interesting characters, The Illusive Man. Marc Walters drops us right in the middle of the action and barely leaves room to breath throughout the book. The pacing of the book is great and the characters are fleshed out gradually over the course of the action meaning readers who may not follow the game can follow the book, whilst fans are not forced to sit through needless exposition.

In many ways its a text book first issue, entertaining you, but only giving you the very basics, peaking curiousity and forcing you back for issue 2. I do have to say that it really only gives you the basics however, and does come dangerously close to not giving enough at times. Thankfully the last few pages give a cracking cliffhanger, and to be fair, considering how intriguing The Illusive Man is as a charcter, I was already signed on for the next issue before I turned the first page.

The art in the book is great and strong throughout. Character, vehicle and weapon designs have clearly been studied and are respectfully reinterpreted here, allowing fans to be easily drawn back into the world they love and feel like they've never been away. Its strong Sci-Fi stuff from Miller and Francia.

So, if you're a fan of the game, this one is a no brainer. Get it brought. If you're not, well, its harder to recommend but its a strong Sci-Fi comic with great art and... well... just play Mass Effect cause it's amazing. Great start, 7.5 on 10.

http://www.inanegeek.com/2011/01/mass-e ... eview.html
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Reviews! Viva La Zone!

Brightest Day #20: I will fully admit my love of all things related to the Aqua family. I think Aquaman had gotten the worst raw deal in comics. He is a cool character damn it and he deserves to be treated with respect! But it doesn't end there, I really liked Lorena (Aquagirl) in the Sub Diego arc from the last series and unfortunately the last time we saw her was when she was horribly rendered as a major slut in Teen Titans. All of this is meant as a preface to explain my excitement for this all Aqua issue of Brightest Day. Mera gets to shine as a bad ass, Aquagirl shows up and fights alongside the new Aqualad. All is well. Except, what was all of that with Deadman and Aquaman? The mystery grows and despite the ultimate slow burn, I am interested in seeing where this book ends and where Geoff Johns plans to leave the DC Universe. 3.5/5

Detective Comics #871-873: I've never felt the connection to Batman that a lot of DC fans do. For me, Superman was the big draw to the DC Universe and Batman just rode shotgun. However, I have found myself enthralled with the Batbooks ever since Grant Morrison took control. First and foremost, I really dug Dick as Batman, which was a complete surprise. And so I found myself wanting to see if this new direction of Detective Comics had anything to offer me. Turns out, it really does. The big thing that jumps out at me is the art of Jock. I've always enjoyed his covers and I am quite the fan of his work on Faker, but I really came to admire the synergy between the writing and the art. Jock just gets what Snyder is attempting to achieve and it really brings the creepiness factor of some of the scenes up a notch or two. I have high hopes that this title can deliver an experience that sets itself apart from the myriad of Batbooks on the market. 4/5

Generation Hope #2-4: As I stated in the X-thread, I have found myself wandering back into that corner of the Marvel U. One of the main reasons for that is the involvement of Kieron Gillen of Phonogram fame. He has a really cool voice and he is also a super rad guy so I wanted to support him if I could. I bought this book entirely because his name was on the cover and not knowing a single thing about the Five Lights or whatever. I am so happy that I did. Kieron has really nailed that X-Men family dynamic feel with these new characters. There is also this sinister cult like quality that kind of taints the air to add drama. ANd finally, he has introduced a really cool potential villain. This is really knocking it out of the park in terms of straightforward Superhero story telling. Top notch. 4/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia - Being a big fan of the Greg Rucka run on Wonder Woman, it seemed silly I had never read this OGN, which kind of kicked the whole thing off. The book also features the extremely talented J.G. Jones on art with colors by Dave Stewart. The only real negative I can offer about this book is that it will make you angry with the way Diana has been handled since Rucka left in 2006. She is a murderer, the Amazons have attacked the US, and now she is a 23 year old with pants. Rucka provides Diana with such depth and grace it is impossible not to love the character. She is at her best as the ambassador of Themiscyra and a champion for peace. I hope we get to see this wonderful woman again. 4.5/5
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:39 am

Avengers Academy #24: I'm a sucker for teenage drama and angst. Christos Gage has been crafting a story that captures the same feel that the Teen Titans book reached at its height. 3.5/5

Avengers Children's Crusade #8: Picking up on threads from House of M and Young Avengers, this book has been a real joy. Heinberg is telling a universe altering story, but he never loses focus on the characters. My only concern is that I don't really know where it fits in with current continuity. 4/5

Avengers X-Sanction #1-2: Jeph Loeb has been produced really awful work for a while. And now, he has resurrected the unfortunate 90s with this recent crapfest. 1.5/5

Daredevil #7: Waid and his amazingly talented duo of artists have taken Matt Murdock out of the darkness and into the light. And the change suits him. 4/5

FF #13: Jonathan Hickman is my favorite writer working today. His indie work is amazing, but primarily I have been in awe of his work on the Fantastic Four. The way he writes Franklin and Val, well it is magnificent. And Doom! 4/5

I, Vampire #3-4: The biggest surprise out of the DC relaunch. It feels like a perfect blend of a Vertigo book set in the DCU. Great art, and awesome storytelling. 4/5

Wolverine and the X-Men Alpha & Omega #01: Brian Wood, one of my favorite writers, writing one of the more interesting and unexplored mutants. I enjoyed this, but not quite as much as I would have hoped. This feels like it could have been the next arc in the Wolverine and the X-Men title. 3/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:39 am

Reviews!

Morning Glories #14: Nick Spencer is a really prolific writer. There is a definite quality vs. quantity argument that can be had in regards to his work. Morning Glories is fairly interesting, but it often displays the worst tendencies from the show LOST. Fourteen issues in, and I still have no idea what the hell this book is about. The time is quickly coming for answers and not more mysteries. The work by Joe Eisma has been consistently solid. He raises the book to a higher level. 3/5

Secret Avengers #21: Warren Ellis has been producing some really awesome one-and-done stories for this book. This issue is the last of those, and while it is very good, it is hard to top his previous issue for awesomeness. If you are looking to get some really good value for your money, check out his six issues. 4/5

Superboy #05: Man, Scott Lobdell really likes those captions. This book isn't anything special, but I seem to get a bit of enjoyment out of it. I especially like the are by R.B. Silva. But I can't really recommend this book to others. 2.5/5

Ultimate Comics X-Men #06: Wouldn't you know, another Nick Spencer book! The initial arc has been less than stellar, but I have always enjoyed the Ultimate Universe and am holding out hope for better things to come. At the very least, the cover by Kaare Andrews is really awesome. 2.5/5 (4.5/5 for that cover though!)
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Lecko is back and he wants you!

I am going to try and pop in and do some reviews on a more consistent(ish) basis. I just feel like jotting down my thoughts and this is as good a place as any!

All-New X-Men #10: Right, so when the announcement came regarding the new status quo for the X-Men it had me quite peeved. Not only was Kieron Gillen, one of my favorite writers, leaving the book but he was being replaced by Brian Michael Bends, one of my least favorite writers. As if that wasn't bad enough, the premise seemed almost laughably stupid: the original five X-Men were going to be brought into the future to confront what the world had become! I was not pleased, but I also really love the X-Men so I gave it a shot. Much to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it. But almost immediately I recognized what was potentially a fatal flaw in the book, namely that there was a whole bunch of talking and not a lot happening. Bendis had struck again. Unfortunately, 10 issues in, my fears are confirmed. This book is S-L-O-W. Even the crazy shipping schedule can't manufacture a sense of urgency in this book. Which is really a shame, because Bendis may have actually been onto something here. Turning to the art, the book is in very capable hands and the work produced by the two artists involved has been very good. Just a shame the book can't live up to its surprising potential. 3/5

Ultimate Comics X-Men #25: Just like the above review, this is nominally a review of the current issues of UCXM, but in reality it is my thoughts on the book up until this point (building off of what was said in my review of this book from the post above). Nick Spencer's run was not good. It just didn't have anything to it. There was no heart, nothing to engage the reader. But then Brian Wood took over and it all changed. Wood has created something truly special. I have always been a fan of the Ultimate Universe, and Wood's work on this book is a perfect example of why the UU can still work. Risks need to be taken. Creators need to find new ways to use the characters to illuminate some universal truth. Bendis is doing it with Miles Morales. And Wood is doing it here with Kitty Pride and the X-Men. This book is part political intrigue, part lord of the flies, part social commentary, part teen angst, and so much more. While the Ultimates may be a mess (until Fialkov takes over, that dude is incredible) Wood is doing great work. Absolutely one of my favorite books at the moment. 4.5/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Lecko is back and he wants you!

I am going to try and pop in and do some reviews on a more consistent(ish) basis. I just feel like jotting down my thoughts and this is as good a place as any!

Lecko I don't read comics so I have no comments on your reviews, but glad to see you back!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 pm

‘Silver Surfer’ #1 Chooses Incident Over Introspection [Review]
The first issue of the brand new Silver Surfer series by writer Dan Slott, artist Mike Allred and colorist Laura Allred chucks a lot of that baggage out the window, and, believe it or not, it’s all the better for it.

[Potential Spoilers]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Silver Surfer #1 Review

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:17 am

Silver Surfer #1 Review
In space, no one can hear adventure.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Silver Surfer #1 Review

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:08 pm

TheButcher