Comic Book Reviews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Comic Book Reviews

Postby doglips on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:17 am

I thought a thread where we can post reviews of the comics/TPB's/graphic novels ( old and new ) we are reading at the moment might be good.

I mentioned Wasteland #1 in Dennis's Comic of the month thread so I thought a mini-review was in order. ( You can read the first half of issue #1 for free as a download from the Wasteland site link above. There's plenty of info on the plot synopsis too. )

Well the first thing that is going to hit you is the artwork - WOW!. Beautifully drawn by Christopher Mitten, who obviously has a great eye for cinematic composition - couple that with some truly excellent page layouts and you feel like you are reading the most wonderfully executed storyboard for a sci-fi/western movie ever!

That's the genre mix I would put this in, think Waterworld combined with Mad Max and you are getting there.

Writer Antony Johnston has apparently been planning this story for over 15 years, so naturally the plot seems very tight. A few key factors are revealed in this issue, but this is really a tone setter for the series ahead. Spoilers - Hints of tele-kinetics and physic healers, forgotten languages and lands, a worldwide mystery as to WTF happened to the planet. The blurbs for issues 2&3 sound like there are a lot more good ideas to come.......

Very impressed indeed, a really good read with fantastic art. I highly recommend it.

7/10.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:56 pm

How old can we go here? I got some ancient reviews and essays hanging around.

Won't post any unless someone asks. Really.

doglips, whenever I see your av without focusing it looks like some odd CGI frog head tilting to one side. Then I realize it's some sad figure curled up pathetically. I like the frog more.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby doglips on Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:31 am

As old as you like, everything you've got is worth reading Dennis, so post
away!

EDIT - Have you got any essays on Batman? I'd be interested to read those. It's the one subject/character I feel able to comment on with any real knowledge.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:35 am

Anyone be interested in a Guardian: Devil review?
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby doglips on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:51 am

Chilli wrote:Anyone be interested in a Guardian: Devil review?

Go for it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:41 pm

Got to re-read it first. Will do that later.

Should be fun. I remember digging it a lot, but it was really wordy and some of the twists were really annoying.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Chilli on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Guardian Devil
A Daredevil Miniseries
Written By Kevin (Blunt-tastic) Smith
Reviewed by Ian (Chilli-fied) Austin.

Here it is, the long... well, medium length... review of this seminal piece of Daredevil canon by me. I say canon, because in my eyes the only truly official Daredevil stuff has been done by Stan Lee... Frank Miller... Kevin Smith, and maybe Bendis for the first fifteen issues of his run.

There are spoilers

B
E
L
O
W

So be

W
A
R
N
E
D

Okay. You're warned.

This is perhaps the most disturbing Marvel comic I've read, and certainly one that blurs the good-bad divide until we're not even sure whose the good guy and whose the bad guy, taking us on a whirlwind journey in which Matt Murdock is fighting to control the evil within.

Wait, wrong story.

No, this is a extremely wordy, limited action peak at the religious overtones of Daredevil, notably the Saint vs. the Devil, the way that he's a walking talking contradiction in a rather kick-ass suit.

It's an extremely adult work, one packed with the sort of relationship issues you expect from Smith's work; notably in the buddy-comedy relationship between Foggy and Matt (Foggy, of course, being Matt's true soulmate, ableit a platonic one), with the added twist that Foggy is, himself, arrested for murder. We know he didn't do it, he knows it, Heck even Matt does, but his guilt over cheating on Liz Osborne (who... that's a WHOLE other comic story I've not read... yet), which parallels nicely with the Catholic guilt Matt feels for going out and dressing like a Goth kid on Hallowwen and kicking mortal ass.

This story is about faith. What we do when we have it, what we do when we lose it, and what we do when some creepy ass D-Level Spider-Man villain with delusions of grandeur decides to invent a fake apocalypse to give his life meaning. In this vein, it is extremely fucked up.

The book starts with a LONG letter from Karen to Matt. It's wordy as anything, and a pretty disorientating start. It is well-written, but tends to be overkill. All we need to know is that Karen's left Matt, the reasons don't matter because really they're so flimsy it's unbelievable, especially for a guy whose read the arc that precedes this (an incredibly stupid courtcase thingy where Karen's arrested), and while I don't take it as canon Marvel obviously does, which makes bringing Matt and Karen perfectly together at the end of that arc, and tearing them apart at the start of this one, mind-boggingly stupid.

So they're broken up. A few months pass (I think), and then the shit hits the fan. There's a massacre at a Hospital, then a teenager named Gwyneth with a newborn kid visits Matt, and says an Angel told her he was called Daredevil. It's nice that Matt doesn't instantly buy this, but it does drag on a bit and he gets a really bad piece of dialogue where he's incredulous about holding a kid that occupies as a recurring in-joke that's not remotely funny.

Matt's left with the kid, and he's visited by Black Widow (Natasha... I forget the rest), a communist superhero and ex flame of Matt and Tony Stark. He phoned her earlier on her secure Shield line but hung up... and this is turning into a recap, not a review.

Suffice to say that their relationship changes throughout this story, as does Matt's with Karen who... you guessed it... shows up again, but with aids. Her junkie past has caught up with her evidently, which isn't so much a twist as a 'Smith, you continuity obsessed bastard' moment. So points there, and also points for not pissing me off by bringing Elektra back again. She died for a reason you Marvel mooks, and each appearance of hers cheapens it.

Okay. Less ranty now. So Daredevil and Black Widow get together, he beats her up, nearly kills the kid, crawls to a church, and runs into his Mother, a Nun. The creepy old dude visits Karen (I'm leaving stuff out, but it's mind-boggingly detailed and some of it's boring as Heck), and tells her getting rid of the kid can save her. So she goes to the church to, presumably, off said kid, only for Bullseye to show up and start killing everything in sight because he rocks in a 'You sick fuck, you sick fuck' kinda way. He fights Matt, slaughters some Nuns, and proceeds to... accidentally (HAH) gut Karen Page (or for the context of this review, Alyssa Jones cause, the similarities are mind-boggling) with Daredevil's own Billy-Club.

To cut a HUGELY LONG story short, Matt pays the old dude a visit, kills this shite character named Baal, defeats some assholey robotic humanoid versions of The Hand, and... oh shit, I forgot Doctor Strange. He rules, but his sidekick sucks.

He gets to the old dude...

WHO IS MYSTERIO.

And we get a flashback. I'm not kidding. It's a flashback that goes on and on and on as we see Mysterio's entire plan. His years of work in the industry mean he's dying from cancer and a tumur. Suffice to say, he wanted to kill Spidey but Spidey's a clone of Parker, so he turns his attention to Daredevil.

That sound you hear is me going... what... the... fuck?

Anyway... he didn't arrange the massacre but worked it, he artifically inseminated Gwyneth, he paid the Kingpin for info on Daredevil, he hired Bullseye, he told Karen she had aids, and he did this while suffering from two terminal illnesses.

... What... the... fuck?

So Matt beats him to a pulp, but doesn't kill him. See Matt's a good guy... or not, because he proceeds to be a whiny gentlemen and taunt Mysterio with the old 'you fucking suck' and Mysterio cries, before blowing his brains out.

Yeah. What - the - fuck?

The story ends with Matt using Karen's inheritance to start up a new law practice for him and Foggy (whose acquitted and dumped), and having a chat with Peter Parker (post funeral) about losing people (girls) to the job (wearing a costume). But there's a difference between being an idiot who thinks web-grabbing a girl by the legs won't BREAK HER NECK and having your chick jump in the way of a FUCKING BILLY-CLUB, isn't there Pete?

Gah.

All in all, I enjoyed this. Sure it's clumsy, but it's also a damn good read into Daredevil's psyche, and everyone gets something to do. It's also worth noting that Bullseye is out there... Kingpin's got a million dollars... and Black Widow is easy, apparantly.

A-
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby doglips on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:23 pm

Any love for the Joe Quesada art? - some great panels in Guardian Devil, the full page Mysterio reveal is brilliant.

Interesting review Chilli, seems you have as much conflict going on with this story as Matt has in it!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Chilli on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:21 pm

The art's pretty damn fricking good. Probably the best part of the entire book in fact. As for my conflicted stance, I do dig it but I get that there's some serious flaws there.

Next up - a review/recap of the six (or seven) Ult Spidey's I read last night... and Bendis, you surprise me you O.C. comic book dude.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:48 pm

Great idea for a thread.

I just went out and picked up Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #2 and Incredible Hulk #97. I will be reviewing them probably later this evening.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:00 pm

"Batman: Year One" coming up as soon as I can straighten it out in my head.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:03 pm

DennisMM wrote:"Batman: Year One" coming up as soon as I can straighten it out in my head.

Looking forward to that Dennis. I think Year One get such a pass by critics and fans alike. Because it is a seminal work...people tend to hold it up like some sort of golden god.

I am interested in seeing your view on the whole thing.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:38 pm

It's my favorite Batman story of all time. :)
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:46 pm

DennisMM wrote:It's my favorite Batman story of all time. :)

Really? I don't doubt the lasting effect the book has had. It has essentially laid the foundations for all bat-books to come. But I tend to prefer The Killing Joke.

Either way...will there be a full review on the way Dennis?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Yes, and soon.
DennisMM

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:01 pm

Looking forward to the Year One review - hey Lecko - you going to do Killing Joke? I bought that the same day I bought Arkham Asylum and can never pick a clear winner between the two.

When you say old Dennis - how far we going back here? Any thoughts on the New X-men (as in the first new line up in X-Men #94).

Sure we love Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Collossus now...but how were they received back in the day? I mean, they replaced some pretty iconic characters...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:05 pm

That reminds me... The Dark Phoenix Saga. I'll try and get a review up within the next week.

Basic thoughts on it - brilliant, wordy, creepy.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:16 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Looking forward to the Year One review - hey Lecko - you going to do Killing Joke? I bought that the same day I bought Arkham Asylum and can never pick a clear winner between the two.

When you say old Dennis - how far we going back here? Any thoughts on the New X-men (as in the first new line up in X-Men #94).

Sure we love Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Collossus now...but how were they received back in the day? I mean, they replaced some pretty iconic characters...

Doc...just for you...I will read Killing Joke and Arkham again tonight and write up a review either tonight or tomorrow for you.

And I will also be reviewing the comics that came out today.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:Looking forward to the Year One review - hey Lecko - you going to do Killing Joke? I bought that the same day I bought Arkham Asylum and can never pick a clear winner between the two.

Doc...just for you...I will read Killing Joke and Arkham again tonight and write up a review either tonight or tomorrow for you.

And I will also be reviewing the comics that came out today.

NICE! 8)

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:38 pm

DennisMM wrote:"Batman: Year One" coming up as soon as I can straighten it out in my head.

Excellent! Can't wait.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:44 pm

I didn't start the thread, so I didn't say new and old, but why not comics we like and have access to? I own an issue of Airboy from 1948 (coverless, alas), so I could review it. I don't want to, but I could.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:45 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:And I will also be reviewing the comics that came out today.

No offense, but isn't that the provenance of New Comic Wednesday? I suppose those "reviews" are more like blurbs.
DennisMM

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:02 pm

DennisMM wrote:How old can we go here? I got some ancient reviews and essays hanging around.

Won't post any unless someone asks. Really.

Sorry Dennis - thats where I got the old reviews idea from....I always wondered if those new X-Men were a breath of fresh air at the time, or if it was controversial and took some time for them to take root. I mean - they killed two of them off almost straight away for fricks sake... :wink:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:20 pm

They blasted open Marvel like nothing since Spider-Man,. It took a little while; Marvel kept the book bimonthly at the start. Fairly soon, though, it was the Marvel title to read and was greatly loved by fans, even more than some of the core Marvel titles.
DennisMM

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:22 pm

DennisMM wrote:They blasted open Marvel like nothing since Spider-Man,. It took a little while; Marvel kept the book bimonthly at the start. Fairly soon, though, it was the Marvel title to read and was greatly loved by fans, even more than some of the core Marvel titles.

SWEET - thats scratched a very old itch. Thanks Dennis!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:28 am

Going REALLY off-topic... but I have an original copy of Astonishing X-Men Issue One in decent condition, how much would it go for? (I have the graphic novels Vol 1/Vol 2, so I don't really need it for read value.)
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:22 pm

Chilli wrote:Going REALLY off-topic... but I have an original copy of Astonishing X-Men Issue One in decent condition, how much would it go for? (I have the graphic novels Vol 1/Vol 2, so I don't really need it for read value.)

Depends on what cover you have. If you have the one of the entire team rushing into action...I have seen that one on sale at my comic book store for $25 I think. The other cover was next to it...on sale for $15.

I am still working on my reviews for Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum...but in the meantime I thought I would review Spider-Man: Blue by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.

In a nut-shell...I adored this book. Loeb really has an understanding of Spider-Man and Peter Parker as well. The story does an excellent job of balancing the romantic, love triangle, character driven stuff...with a compelling action plot as well. It really is a heartbreaking tale of true love lost.

It gets annoying reading these issues as a collection though, because each issue starts off so similarly...it can get a bit repetitive. However, this is just a small gripe.

Sale's artwork really shines in this story. I, like many others, did not enjoy his art on Superman For All Seasons...but in this story...his art fits perfectly. The use of blue tones are just wonderful. I strongly suggest this book. One of the few great Spider-Man tpb's available.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:14 am

It's the one with Wolverine's claws.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby tfactor on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:22 am

silentbobafett - which was locked by dennis wrote:Okay! SO whose got the new comic "Wasteland" yet?

Its fucking amazing!

My favorite subject post apocolyptic world! SOmething called the Big Wet wipes out mankind as we know it. Set 100 years later humans are trying to find their foothold on the world again. New reglions and beliefs. New languages, cities, towns everything.

And boy does it read good!

So anyway, just wondering whose read it and what they've got to say about it! I'm jazzed!

Oh and covers by the one and only Ben Templesmith!

EDIT:

this sounds and looks really cool, might have to check this out
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:12 pm

Interesting that you should mention Wasteland...because I have JUST returned from the comic book store where I purchased issues #1 and #2...based on thedoglippedone's endorsement.

I will hopefully be reading both issues by this weekend (I have a lot of comics to catch up on.)

I also grabbed Local #1 and #2 and the newest issue of Supermarket...having just started reading DMZ I figured I should give Wood's smaller press stuff a try.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:43 pm

The mods have decided to unlock the Wasteland thread. Thanks for your patience. I apologize for overreacting.
DennisMM

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:01 am

I love these books....

Revolution SF wrote:DC's Vertigo line was launched with the intention of bringing a line of titles to grown-ups who still wanted to read comics. The books were a departure from the spandex world of Batman and Superman, instead exploring magic, fantasy, and horror. One of the first books in the line, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, was perhaps completely representative of the line, exploring all of the above-mentioned areas and more, all the while keeping a toe in the mainstream DC Universe, allowing long-time comic readers a reference point for the series.

Sandman was launched in 1988, and nearly immediately garnered critical praise, followed soon by a fairly large fan base. The seventy-five issue series focused on the Endless, a group of seven entities that oversees such realms as Desire, Delirium, Death, Destiny, and most notably, Dream. The title character is Morpheus, king of the Dream realm (later replaced by Daniel). It is not a comic book in the classic sense, featuring a villain or earth-threatening catastrophe that spans an issue or two, but rather a number of short stories featuring the title character in graphic novel form.

The comics remain among the most groundbreaking in the history of the industry. While the stories focus on areas other than superheroes, there is a link to the proper DC Universe, with Batman, the Martian Manhunter, and others appearing throughout the series. The art is wide and varied, by such creators as Sam Kieth, Charles Vess, and Dave McKean.

What truly makes the series special, though, is Gaiman's gift as a storyteller. The series at times reads like one of the Canterbury Tales, at others like a Shakespearean play, at others like a classic of the future. Always, though, the characters are compelling, the plots complex, and the dialogue real and believable. Gaiman drew compliments from people ranging from Stephen King and Clive Barker to Tori Amos, and the compliments are well deserved. The impact of the book was such that, even after the end of the series, the concept carried on, both in one-shot specials and a series called The Dreaming.

While the series has since drawn to a conclusion, with Gaiman working only occasionally in the comics field (instead working on novels, movies, and other pursuits), the books have all been collected in trade form, both hard and soft cover. Each is well worth purchasing, if only for the masterful writing. The books are for anyone and everyone old enough to grasp the material (and at times, it is challenging); there is no emphasis on super powers, despotic villains, or hopeless love triangles, but instead an exploration of modern day myths and fairy tales -- subjects that the Vertigo line was created for. Or perhaps it was Sandman itself that inspired the line -- it is, truly, in a class of no classes.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:12 am

Do you love music? Do you know a lot about music? Ever used musical knowledge to impress? Ever used musical knowledge to intoxicate someone of the opposite sex? Have you ever put a record on that you know will guarantee romance and sex?

I know I tried, failed and succeeded many times during my twenties, around the time Britpop was at the forefront of the UK music scene. Taking a girl to a gig, impressing her afterwards with my limited knowledge of the band and their contemporaries, then choosing the right record to put on back in my room - just to get her in to bed, if it worked, it was like magic........

Phonogram 1 concentrates on the metaphor of music being magic, comic book style.

David Kohl - Phonomancer ( I know, it sounds ridiculous, it really works though ) The 'hero?' of Phonogram.

Issue one sees him introduce himself, shark during a female singer/songwriter showcase, wax lyrical on kenickie, whilst utilising some of the musical magic ( black magic! ) to get a girl into bed and then facing the repercussions from a haunting and punishing female presence - who appears to know a lot more about the magic than he does. That's the great skill of phonogram, as chauvinistic and unbearable as kohl gets, there is always a lady better equipped to knock him down - just like real life?!

Phonogram has an absolutely fucking killer script from co-creator Kieron Gillen, very funny in parts, the real plus is that he really knows his music, nods to every field of pop music & culture all used brilliantly well. The art by Jamie Mckenzie is great and fits the subject matter perfectly, think of a monochrome Pia Guerra and you're nearly there.

Phonogram is cool, clever and for 32 year old males like myself, wraps you up in a world you have inhabited before - with a twist. It's not just for people like me though, the women of phonogram are all as knowledgeable, sassy and fork tongued as Kohl himself, probably more so!

A glossary of bands mentioned will help readers who need more info on placing the music, and there is a very well written statement of intent from Gillen, that cuts through the pretension ( inherent in a comic like this really ) and will have you choking for issue 2. Well, I can't wait.

Music and comic book fans alike should at least check out issue 1 of Phonogram, it is very good indeed.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:27 am

"David Kohl reviewed my band so hard the drummer's legs fell off."

A throwaway but genius-level joke.
DennisMM

Postby Flumm on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:15 pm

That's one of the finest reveiws I think I've read from you your hands/paws, dog.

Prodigous kudos to you, matey. ;)

As always, when fellow Zoner enthusiasm abounds, it may not be aquired straight away, but will be well and truely noted.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:16 pm

Yeah, I second what Flumm said. Brilliant review dude.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:34 pm

Thanks guys, when I first joined the zone I was way to scared of the intellect around here to post anything - 10 years of cooking and kitchen life have done nothing for my IQ - but hanging round with you lot has done wonders for my confidence!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:43 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:around the time Britpop was at the forefront of the UK music scene...

he was?

what the fuck is he doing here in the Zone then?

I always thought TonyWilson was the forefront of the UK music scene...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:46 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:around the time Britpop was at the forefront of the UK music scene...

he was?

IPAMPILASH!

No not TW, ME!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:25 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

he was?

Not since e got cheap.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:09 pm

I just finished reading LOCAL #1 and #2 written by Brian Wood with art by Ryan Kelly.

Brian Wood is a rising star in comics. Demo, Supermarket, DMZ...the list of outstanding titles that this guy has written is becoming a bit ridiculous. The covers of LOCAL #1 and #2 come with endorsements from Warren Ellis and Brian K. Vaughan...two of the biggest names in the industry...and it is no surprise that they both enjoy the heck out of this book.

LOCAL, as Wood puts it, "is a series of short stories about people and the places they live in". A very simple premise, but an intriguing one nonetheless. Each issue takes place in a new location...for example the first issue takes place in Portland and the second in Minneapolis. Wood and Kelly go to great lengths to provide a realistic feel to each new location. In fact, they include legitimate shops and buildings...so if you are actually FROM Portland...you might recognize the drug store Megan goes into because it actually is there. This provides an added depth to the title.

Now, the main character of the book is Megan. However, Wood tells us at the end of the first issue that while Megan will make an appearance in every book, she will not always be the focus of the book. In some issues, her role will be limited to a cameo. Also, the first issue takes place in 1994...in each issue Megan will age one year. So issue 2 takes place in 1995. Wood and Kelly go to great lengths again to make sure that each issue is accurate to the date in which it takes place. Updating the character’s wardrobe slightly, car brands, etc. For instance, the drug store that is the location for issue #1 was there in 1994, but has since closed down. Obviously, a lot of work went into making this comic feel realistic for the reader.

Does all the hard work matter though? Is it worth a read? Most definitely. Wood and Kelly have created something really special with LOCAL. The artwork is especially gorgeous...Kelly does an outstanding jobs with these locations that make them feel real. Having been to Minneapolis I can honestly say that while reading this issue I felt like I was there again. The most important thing about LOCAL is that Wood's stories are so strong that they are not overshadowed by the art and the location. Each story is strong in its ownright and emotional. These are not huge, end of the world type stories, but instead, small stories that give you a glimpse into another person's life.

LOCAL is a perfect example of what the comic book medium can do. Each issue is like taking a road trip to a different city, if only for a small while. Strongly recommended.

“The Perfect three-minute single. You’re going to want this one.â€
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:15 am

Mmm, that sounds like yet another read I would likely savour...

Curses, it doesn't seem like amazon.uk have it stocked.

How I long to plunder the plentifull of an earnestly stocked comicbook vendor. :(

Alas, I've squeeked a little x on my radar for it's appearence and I await it's arrival instead.

Even for someone who treads lightly among the comic forum threads, your efforts are not unnoticed, matey.

Cheers for teh lookout, Lecko. :roll: :wink:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:25 am

Flumm wrote:Mmm, that sounds like yet another read I would likely savour...

Curses, it doesn't seem like amazon.uk have it stocked.

How I long to plunder the plentifull of an earnestly stocked comicbook vendor. :(

Alas, I've squeeked a little x on my radar for it's appearence and I await it's arrival instead.

Even for someone who treads lightly among the comic forum threads, your efforts are not unnoticed, matey.

Cheers for teh lookout, Lecko. :roll: :wink:

Thanks a lot Flumm. That means a lot coming from you.

Keep your eyes out for a review of Wasteland #1 and 2...and a few more on the way as well.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:04 am

Ah, it's nothing really. It's actually good to see the comic's forums really thriving these days. Yourself, dog, Dennis, KC and Whedo have led teh charge, and to all of your credit, ain't no mistakin' it.

If all goes well, I may have a thing or two that would be worth jotting some thoughts down for soon enough, (including Blankets), so it won't be for lack of variety or lack of waiting, anyhow.

Anyways, I'm all to aware I have no comics about my person in this moment right infront of me, so I think 'll retreat from here, and back to teh now early light of the sun-kissed calypso theme balcony and the comfort of teh Dink-Touch Barker Loungers...

I'll be to make sure no one emitts any unwanted fluids in your personlised Barker Lounger ice bucket while I'm there, man.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:11 am

Flumm wrote:Ah, it's nothing really. It's actually good to see the comic's forums really thriving these days. Yourself, dog, Dennis, KC and Whedo have led teh charge, and to all of your credit, ain't no mistakin' it.

If all goes well, I may have a thing or two that would be worth jotting some thoughts down for soon enough, (including Blankets), so it won't be for lack of variety or lack of waiting, anyhow.

Anyways, I'm all to aware I have no comics about my person in this moment right infront of me, so I think 'll retreat from here, and back to teh now early light of the sun-kissed calypso theme balcony and the comfort of teh Dink-Touch Barker Loungers...

I'll be to make sure no one emitts any unwanted fluids in your personlised Barker Lounger ice bucket while I'm there, man.

BLANKETS!!!! I love that book with ALL of my heart.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:14 am

Alright I have some time on my hands so here is my review of Wasteland #1 and 2.

First off...the book looks great. The artwork is rather frantic, which fits the tone of the book perfectly. However, at times I became frustrated trying to make out what was going on in the panel. The art is just so kinetic. This was distracting, but ultimately the art grew on me. It takes some getting used too, but once that happens the book becomes quite a treat. Also worth mentioning...the cover to issue #1 is gorgeous. Almost worth buying the book for the cover alone.

The story of Wastleland has been mentioned in countless reviews before mine so I won't go into details. I will say that in only two issues Wasteland has set up a very large mythology that could make for countless story possibilities. It is hard to review these two issues because you get the feeling that they are just a small part of such a enormous story. This book just FEELS epic. I really can't wait to see where it all goes.

Issue #1 is 48 pages long...the second is normal sized I think (although I didn't count the pages) and it goes deeper into the myth of the "Big Wet" event. I have a feeling that this book will take off...it is quite cinematic (as many have said before) and I can definitely see a great number of studios lining up to option this one. The world that Antony Johnson and Christopher Mitten have created just seems so vast and epic in scale...it has the same feeling as LotR or Star Wars. It just has that feel to it. Will the story eventually pay off? Well that is the big mystery, but it definitely is shaping up to be something fun.

There is a lot of potential...but considering that we are only two issues in...there is a lot of room for error. Still, I would say give this book a shot. After issue #1 you will know whether or not this is the book for you...and at $2.99 for 48 pages worth of story...it is quite a bargain. OR you could read the first 21 pages of issue #1 for free right here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:52 am

Good review Lecko, you're right, Wasteland needs more time. I did not enjoy 2 as much as 1 but future issues may make the events in 2 more pertinent.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:54 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I decided to get my superhero fix by reading the New Avengers vol. 1 by Brian Michael Bendis and David Finch. If you follow comics (especially Marvel) then there is no doubt you are familiar with the New Avengers. Considering they have been at the forefront of the latest major Marvel events (Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Civil War)...it is kind of hard to avoid the New Avengers. I just picked up the first TPB...and couldn't help but share my thoughts.

The thing that first popped out at me was how much I really dug David Finch's art. It was just so...fun. The colors just seemed to pop right off the page...combine that with a genuinely fun story by Brian Bendis and it makes for a...well a FUN read.

Bendis and Finch have crafted a giant spectacle of a comic book. Honestly, it reminds me of a Michael Bay movie. It isn't "deep" or "groundbreaking" in any way, shape, or form...its the comic book equivalent of a popcorn flick. The trademark Bendis dialogue is present...I mean there is no doubt that the man can write Spider-Man.

The story is fairly simple...the Avengers have been disbanded for 6 months...Electro is hired to orchestrate the largest super villain prison break in histroy to cover up the escape of a certain villain. This event brings Captain America, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Woman, and Luke Cage together to do what they do best. A simple story...but effective. Buried underneath all of that are the seeds of a potentially rewarding espionage story...it is just enough to thrill and excite and it is definitely enough to convince me to pick up volume 2.

The New Avengers is a fun title...if you don't like Bendis (and I know there are a lot of folks out there that don't) then this won't be the title that will make you change your mind. However, if you are interested in a fairly light read...starring Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and Wolverine...with guest spots by DareDevil, Foggy, The Sentry, Prince Namor, Reed Richards, and Dr. Strange...well this might be right up your alley.

Nice review Lecko!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:56 am

Thanks for some more kind words DLO...I have two more reviews the first will be of the New Avengers vol. 2...and the second is volume 1 of Walking Dead. Enjoy.

The best way to describe volume 2 of the New Avengers is...a let down. The first storyline was exciting and fun. This story is just...well its lame. This time around the focus of the story is the Sentry...namely who and what the Sentry is. You see no one knows anything about The Sentry. He doesn't really exist to the folks in the Marvel U...except in comic books. And guess what...it guest stars Paul Jenkins...yes...THAT Paul Jenkins.

As you can tell the story in this volume is...well...its strange. Bendis does his best to channel his inner Morrison...but it just isn't happening. This story is literally a bunch of people talking. The action is sparse and is never featured (with the exception of a few splash pages)...but for the most part they just TALK. Of course this is Bendis so it is to be expected...but the first volume was just so FUN and this is just NOT. It kind of threw me off. This really is the tale of two Bendis'. Volume 1 proves that Bendis can write an exciting and fun superhero story. Whereas volume 2 is just a good old fashioned borefest.

Volume 3 promises ninjas...and I am quite a sucker for ninjas (especially NINJA MAN-BATS!). But after volume 2...I am not expecting much.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:00 am

Do you think Bendis might get Runaways?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Next

Return to Comic Books