Comic Book Reviews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby doglips on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:10 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Image

Written by Jason Aaron
Art by Cameron Stewart

The Other Side is a stunning descent into the horrors of war. Told from dual perspectives, Jason Aaron succeeds in crafting two universal stories that both feel realisticly frightening. Aaron has quite the lineage when you consider that his cousin wrote the book that eventually became the basis for Full Metal Jacket. Vietnam apparently is a major part of that family.

The real strength of The Other Side is the dual perspective storytelling. By showcasing the similarities between the Vietnamese soldier and the American soldier, The Other Side seperates itself from the myriad of Vietnam stories that are available. Furthermore, Aaron utilizes the best qualities of the comic book medium by inserting some bizarre supernatural elements to the story...which further seperates it from other war stories.

Which brings me to the art. I can't say enough about Cameron Stewart's work on this title. He delivers on so many levels with this book. From his covers to the interiors. Everything about Aaron's scripts is made that much better because of Stewart's art. The creepy zombie/ghost soldiers, the fear the he injects into the faces of the characters. I could go on, but suffice it to say that Cameron Sewart delivers the goods in The Other Side...which is what elevates the story from very good to absolutely excellent. By far, this is the best mini-series of the year. An absolute must have. This book is going to make Aaron and Stewart stars.

P.S. A special thanks to Doglips who was so passionate about this book when it first came out that it motivated me to check it out. So glad that I did.

Excellent review, Lecko. I'm so glad you finally got to read this book, it really is something special. The journey with the two main characters is extremely harrowing and like you say, greatly embellished by Stewart's art - issue 2 was the finest single issue of art in a comic released last year, IMO.

It is the dual stories ( along with those psychosomatic visions ) that imbue this book with so much emotion - you have an inkling as to what the outcome will be, but getting there and living with it amounts to a great read.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:34 am

The cover art of this week’s countdown ironically mirrors the series' current trajectory - Mary Marvel and The Riddler swimming in shit. I actually laughed out loud when comic book girl handed me my pulls.

This week’s installment has a few cool moments, as usual, centering around the rouge Monitor, Donna Troy and Jason "I used to be dead' Todd.

Everything else is swimming in crap; yes, it’s moving, but it’s slow and it stinks. Hurry the fuck on please. Like Olsen's stuff, it was cool to see his drawings for his superhero costumes for Elastic Lad and the other one, with the spikes, but the strory is threaded enough without adding in more crap like this.

Anyway, I am still going to try and push through this and hopefully the series will ultimately deliver the goods - if not, well, I won't be buying many more of these comics.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:16 am

Green Lantern #1-20
Pretty solid stuff most of the time. Hal Jordan is one of those characters that I just don't 'get' a lot of the time. It's not that it's written badly, I mean to say that I don't get the dudes motivation at certain times, like flying behind enemy lines without his ring, for fun. I mean, the guy is like, 60; has he not figured out that not wearing your ring is a beacon for ill-adventure for a lantern.

All of the stuff with Abin Sur was pretty cool, and it seems that most of the series has been leading to Sinestro Corps from about #11 forward. Anyway, after Sinestro Corps it was nice to have a refresher on Hal and Co.

Green Lantern Corps. #1-13
I hate the shit out of Guy Gardner. It’s like someone gave a ring to Buddy from Pee-Wee's Playhouse. And don't tell me it is good writing that makes me hate him; it’s not. Because there is a lot of good writing in these books, and he is written just fine - I just hate it. I wished his ass was dead many times throughout this series.

Now, with that off my chest, this series is fucking awesome. Fuck Guy Gardner, (although he does have some neat adventures), I am totally signed up for Dr. Natu. Her story arc is much cooler, IMO.

Really, this series is a fun ride through the cloistered life of the corps., showing that there is power struggle and prejudice everywhere, even in the corps, even amongst the blue dudes on Oa, and showcases some great Lanterns - Mogo, and The Corpse being my faves. I will stay out of spoiler territory, but will say that everything with Mogo is excellent. Again, the story moves nicely into the Sinestro Corps Wars
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:07 am

Martha Washington DIES
Miller and Gibbons

Mr. Miller and Mr. Gibbons, fuck you both, very much.

This is pitiful weak shit, and an extremely poor close to an excellently crafted and executed series. It’s like you took your awesome, fantastic idea, and shit on it. Why? Typically one would associate this kind of behavior with the mentally ill.

Again, Sirs, you have defiled everything that made the Liberty books great.

Zoners, this book is 9 pages long.

And they are by no means good pages; Gibbons’ art on this project has been steadfast from the start, which does not change here. But what he is drawing is boring as fucking hell. If this is starting to sound like a fanboy rant, then you have been paying attention. Now, I could be wrong regarding this being the last of the Liberty books, and if so, I will have earned your scorn; but as things stand now, I am a very perplexed and frustrated consumer and comic book aficionado.

I have been following Martha Washington’s life, trials, and ultimate successes since I was a teen (lets say half my life-ish) – and everything has been beautiful till now. I am at the point where I am pretty much speechless and aghast by this abortion, and have nothing of value to add. I could just fill a page with Fred Flintstone cursing and general assholery, rather, I am closing out – here are my chips.

Complete buyer’s remorse. (-5) out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:22 am

JSA #7
At first I was all; well, this is boring.', then, the story got all sorts of personal and cool, and I was all "Wow, this just got all personal and cool."
Spoiler
- I love the fact that he hates the skin/suit costume, and immediately gives the professor shit about it.

Green Arrow Year One -
s'okay. I was expecting more, but this will suffice.

Sub-Mariner #2
More of me scratching my head. This has potential; I think I am just an impatient fucker...

Fantastic Five #1
This is the proverbial shit, my zomies. Everything about this book is, well, fantastic. Go buy now. This looks like it’s going to be a fun ride.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bruno Gerussi on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:52 am

Hey Unichlunch - so you are a comic book nerd too, eh? You are the total package. Must be big with the ladies.

Puss.

How about updating me on Archie Digest? The co-op stopped carrying it two years back, and I can't use this computer contraption to purchase them.

What the hell is an ebay? Is this like the winter dry-docks?
Molly can't reach this far...
Bruno Gerussi
GLIB

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:08 am

You are being removed from my rank, as well as my friends list on MySpace. From here on out it is just me and Tom against the world.

Fuck.

You.

Bruno.

/you're dead, btw, shitdick.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:07 pm

Do we need to start a unikrunk/bruno playhouse like we did with Kirks and Bantha? Hmmm?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:33 am

@Burl - It would be cool if you could arrange a tree-fort for us to defend and hang around in.

On to zeee reviews.

The Brave and the Bold #5 -
Batman vs. Legion of Superheroes

Okay, this comic is the shit. The series so far has been fun, well written, but it did not grab me b the dick until this issue. Last issue was plagued with the most shit character DC has; Lobo. Could they not just give him to Macfarmland? For keeps? He will make some nice dolls with him…

I just hate the fuck out of Lobo.

#5 is right on time; you could set your watch to this comic. Batman running house on the Legionnaires in the future ends up being

SPOILER

The catalyst for the Lightning Saga. It is well done, and not forced; the writers over at DC have been putting on their thinking caps quite a bit of late. Enough of this crappy review. Go buy comic, it is good.

Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness #5
Weird, but not in a good way. This book was so much fun, and then they get to the end and realize they have to wrap this story in one book. So a lot of stuff happens, but none of it really seems to matter. This is not to say it was a horrid read; it wasn’t, it was fun. The series just kind of tripped over its own feet while exited stage left.

Ghost Rider – Trail of Tears #6
Thus far the art has been absolutely fucking awesome in this series, and the story has been pretty interesting, Hoooo-boy. When it is time to close shop on a run, Ennis and Crain do it the old fashioned way; call down the fuckin’ thunder. Holy SHIT. This issue was amazing, the whole time Ennis and Crain have been laying out this loose fabric, and here they grab all those intentional loose ends, and pull hard, creating a fucking masterpiece out of the entire series.

I am not a GR fan – I just never took to the comic; I was always more of a Jonah Hex kid. I am now a GR fan, thanks to this writer and artist. Now that the run is finished, the TPB will be out in a month or two, I suggest picking it up. If you are a fan of vengeance and willful damnation, it’s made for you. Hell to pay has a whole new meaning for me this morning.

Wolverine Origins Annual #1
I think this book is getting pushed off the cliff of my pull list. It is not delivering the goods. This issue was like all the rest, except the art was slightly better and I did not have to see the retard Daxon or whatever Logan’s kid is named. If you enjoy staring at paint while it dries, this book is for you. If you like adventure comics, don’t even look at this fucker.

Oh, in case I forgot to mention it, I did not care for this issue.

Legion of Monsters – Morbius – Living Vampire#1
Better than I could have ever hoped, and still pretty cheesy. Again, it exceeded my expectations, but that is not very hard when it comes to Monster comics. I am not reading them in my sitting room, smoking my pipe in a silk jacket, you know?

These are lying on the floor stoned, laughing and getting grossed out comics, and you know what? That works just fine for me. If you are into the EC thing, you will dig on this comic; if that is not your bag of dicks, you probably won’t get much out of it – personally I thought it was a lot of fun. As I have mentioned, I really like what Marvel is doing with their monster properties.

JLA #11 – Buried Alive
I will not spoil this read for anyone. Go get it. Best use of negative space in a comic, ever. I had a hard time reading it, it was disturbing to me. That is all I will say. 10 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness.

Amazons Attack! #4
More of the same, there is a lot going on that a) has not been explained yet, and b) has been explained but is yet to be resolved. There are two issues left in this run, but I have a feeling a pre-attack series will be not long in the making, as there is simply too much shit going down to wrap up in two issues.

I like this series a lot; however, I don’t ‘get it’ yet. I guess that’s part of the allure.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:28 pm

All Flash #1

Well I already confessed in another thread to not knowing anything about Wally West, but I thought I would give this a try. The parts where he is chasing down and punishing Inertia were cool, but the rest was crap to me. Well boring more than crap. It was well executed, but not at all interesting. But again I have no vested interest in Wally or his stupid kids.

Brave And The Bold #5

I have been enjoying this series a great deal, but this issue was kind of meh for me. Like my disinterest in Wally West, I really have no understanding of the Legion of Super Heroes, but it was nice seeing Batman basically hand all of them their asses. Uni, I kind of liked the Lobo issue even though I too hate him. It was worth reading just to see THAT version of Supergirl, and the punchline where she told Lobo she had faked losing those arm wrestling matches was very funny.

Annihilation Conquest Quasar #1

Picking up where the preview left off, Quasar and Moondragon are on the run with the Phalanx and a Phalanx controled Super Adaptoid hot in pursuit. The issue isn't stellar, but I like the idea of someone being given these awesome cosmic powers and not really knowing what to do with them, and the ticking clock scenario that have set forth with the depowering of the Quantum Bands is another fun twist to the whole adventure. Plus BLATANT LESBIANISM!

Avengers Initiative #4 Wwh

Man I love Dan Slott, but this series is rubbish. I understand that the characters are supposed to be young and still in training, but boy of boy, do they have to be so stupid too? And the whole idea of the black ops unit is just not interesting to me. Sorry Dan, but this sucka is not getting read no mo.

Captain America #28 Cwi

Not much to say here except Sin and the new Serpent Society are real dickheads. The issue was mainly filler for future clashes, so I enjoyed it for that, but nothing exceptional here. I do so love that Bru has managed to keep this interesting even with the title character not alive!

New X-Men #40

The New X-Men vs. Belasco and Illyana! What's weird about this whole storyline is that so far, with four issues in, everything has really transpired in about 45 minutes. The revival of X-23 and the reason for it was outstanding and cruel though, and Sancho's power upgrade is weird, but REALLY WELL RENDERED@ I want to like this series alot, but I am not getting enough characterization. I think I only stick with it because of my love of the whole Young X-Men thing from yesteryear.

The Order #1 Cwi

Oh man, this was terrible. Avoid.

Ultimate Spider-Man #111

Okay, this issue made me actually cry. How lame is that? The conversation between May and Peter (drawn by Bagley) turns into a real tearjerker, and the antics of Spidey vs. Ultimate Spot (!) (drawn by Immomen) was really well done. Immomen's Spidey reminds me a lot of Romita Jrs run in the 80s, which isn't a bad thing, imo.

Back with more later.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:04 am

SHAZAM! The Monster Society of Evil #4 -

Jeff Smith brings his run to a close, wraps up all the loose ends, and delivers, in the end, an enjoyable cartoon comic.

It took me being pissed off at this take for three issues to finally come to terms with this run; classic case of 'I wanted' vs. 'Artist's Vision'. And I am glad I did not drop it, as I almost did, because in the end, reading the last pages of issuse #4 did I realize what Smith was going for all along.

This is a Disney comic, Smith's vision of Shazam is that of the old Marvel Family comics, Saturday morning cartoon stuff. Once I had that under my belt, it completely changed my perspective on the run.

In a time when every comic tries to push the envelope on violence, sexuality, drug use, etc., Smith picks up a well know franchise, one that has been used in some fairly dark ways (Kingdom Come) and ran the other way with it. The ultimate fake-out! He made a great cartoon comic, that is aimed at...kids. Now we all could say 'kids of all ages', but that cliché is tiresome. No, I am going to stick to my guns here, and say it; he made an excellent comic for kids, and in the end, even an old bastard like me softened to it.

Well, that was quite a ramble, eh?

Great comic, terrific run, and my new comfort book, I am giving this 8 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:41 am

Some quick reviews:

DC

All Flash #1 - What EXACTLY was the purpose of this book? Why this couldn't have been dealt with in the pages of The Flash proper is beyond me. The cover is awful, the art is uneven (due to the contributions of too many artists) and the plot was damn near absent. Mark Waid's return to The Flash was less than spectacular, but I am still hopeful. 2/5

Marvel

Avengers: The Initiative #4 - I have a deep love for Dan Slott's work. She-Hulk became a joy to read each month and his Thing tragically-cut-short ongoing was everything people had been asking for from a comic and yet no one read it. The reason I mention this is because it is with a heavy heart that I declare this series a failure. It just isn't very good. Everyone involved comes off like an asshole and that is no way to build a series. This was one of the "better" issues of the shortlived series, but that isn't really saying much. WWH has been so cool that even the worst titles have been elevated. Dan Slott shouldn't hover around the mediocre. It doesn't suit him 2.5/5

The Order #1 - This is probably the biggest disappointment I have experienced in comic books in quite some time. Matt Fraction is a writer that I expect great things from. Casanova is a comic that I simply adore. The idea of him taking a team of superheroes based out of California (more accurately LA) seemed to have almost limitless potential. Knowing Fraction I imagined a lot of fun stories involving superhero celebrities...complete with paparazzi and the red carpet treatment. This first issue delivers none of that...in fact it looks as if that sort of thing will get you fired from the team. Instead, we get another by-the-numbers superhero team. We'll see how later issues play out, but as it stands this could turn out to be one giant waste of talent and time. 2/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:09 am

Was The Initiative cancelled, Lecko?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:19 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Was The Initiative cancelled, Lecko?

Not that I know of. Marvel seems to be in love with the title so I would expect it to be around for some time.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:48 pm

Fantastic Five#2

Another terrific ‘what if’ style issue, this series so far has avoided the pitfalls of, as Burl put it, ‘That fucking Spidergirl universe’, by not taking itself too seriously and delivering on the plain, old fashioned, cool shit.

The Fantastic Five are really more like the Fantastic 8, which is my favorite part of the story, as the leadership mantle is being taken back up by Reed, leaving Human Torch, his wife and child fairly pissed off. That, and Doom’s heir–turned foe was cool as hell.

I never really liked the Fantastic Four, save the 1602 stuff; this comic is making me a fan, of this take on the franchise at least.

Green Lantern Corps#14
Fan-fucking-tastic. Once again, the only downside to this issue is that I am an impatient bastard, and want more of what I am getting here. Serenity Now!

Countdown 40
This issue just bought two more weeks’ cred with me; it was actually pretty fun. Bob is great, and his and Troy/Todd’s adventures in the Pamlerverse are off to a nice start. Also liked the goons on the lamb going to Penguin for sanctuary.

Not so sure where Action Man fits in, or if I even like the idea. I suppose that’s what these two weeks cred are for, Countdown; stop with the dickery and we are good to go. Keep it up, and you get the backside of my ring-hand.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:16 pm

My thoughts:

Teen Titans #49

This is another tie in to the most underwhelming and no-hyped even in the history of events: AMAZONS ATTACK! A couple of things I find hilarious: Supergirl and Wonder Girl attacked Air Force One in the last issue of Amazons Attack. AIR FORCE ONE! And they got off scott free. Superman barely even lectured them. Yeah, so anyway, I barely even remember the details of this story, but I liked the very end. Really I don't quite understand the point of this comic. It's like all these teens teamed up to do nothing. All they ever do is respond to attacks and do really act as proactive super heroes. And while I like some of the characters, others are pretty lame. And Wonder Girl is written with all the subtlety of a back hoe falling off a building.

Wonder Woman #11

So we get more underwhelming Amazons Attack bullshit here. In the last issue of Amazons Attack, Wonder Woman offered herself as a sacrifice to appease her mom to end the way. Which is really noble, but Superman sweeps her away because Wonder Woman has more important things to do. Namely, saving her stupid new sidekick Nemesis. Uhhhh.... How does that make anysense.

Superman wrote:Stop whining Wonder Woman! I know you were about to end the war and everything, but saving this ONE MAN IS MORE IMPORTANT!

Amazing Spider-Man #542

Fucking brilliant. Spider-Man--er, Peter Parker, actually--finally has his face off with the shit-hottest villain in the history of the medium, and it's is fucking brutal and totally fulfilling.

Annihilation Conquest Star Lord #1 (ROCKET RACOON RETURNS!)

Despite the weird art, this issue was fun and did a great job in setting up the Dirty Dozen style plot. I really need to wiki some of the characters though, because other than Rocket Racoon (!) I don't know who any of them are. Not that it matters because the writers give a good overview. The issue was surprisingly humorous, which is a nice counterpoint to the seriousness of both The Wraith and Quastard.

Mighty Avengers #4

Jesus, Tony Stark continues to be a douche bag even after his "death" at the hands of the new Janet Pym inspired Ultron. And Ares is hysterical. He makes Wolverine seem like a foreign diplomat by comparison. No if they could only get Wonder Man off the team, I will enjoy this book more.

Wolverine #55

w. t. f.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:47 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:My thoughts:

Wolverine #55

w. t. f.

Burl, have you been following Origins at all? I thought it would be a neat read, a good idea for a series at the very least, and somehow, somewhere, someone managed to fuck it up.

How do you do that? How do you take a very clear cut and excellent idea for a run, and then vomit into it and offer it to me as a consumer, Marvel?

The art, story, framing, shit - everything is bad and getting worse in Origins.

Is this akin to your experience with Wolverine, or is that a positive 'w.t.f.' in your post?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:23 am

Paradise X
This is more a warning than a review; don’t go near this book unless you want to have a headache.

Having the book for three weeks, I think I am twenty pages in. It is so damn boring and redundant I want to punch my own face in for buying it, because I knew going into it; the Universe X books read like stereo manuals written by schizoid monkeys; and I still bought this…book.

I feel burdened by the entire series, first with Earth X, it was cool, if a little assuming at times, but it set me up to have to know how it all ends. But I can’t force myself to read the book, because it is dry regurgitation of Universe X, and, it sucks. I am addicted to a series that sucks. Fantastic.

When I finish this son of a bitch, and I will finish, I will post up a review.

For now, be warned.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:20 pm

World War Hulk#3
Good lord this series is amazing. The stuff with Strange was so perfect, and Green Scar’s Warbound kicking the shit out of his crew was just great. I was a little disappointed that Ross made it through to the arena; would have been nice to see Hulk finally kill him.

Never Stop Making Them Pay.

Thor#2
Second issue and this is my new favorite book; am I making that call too early? Doubtful.

This is the best relaunch yet, IMO, and the humorous elements are great – creating Asgard in the middle of Kansas was fucking awesome, and the local’s reactions were great. I am putting my money on this series, it is delivering serious fun.

Countdown39
One week of cred burned, one to go. If Olsen joins the Teen Titans, I might stick around a little more, or if they move along the Plamerverse – another issue of meetings and this book is dropped.

Can the Karate Kid STFU already? Fuck.

Dark Tower – The Gunslinger Born #7
A fitting end to a great run, with some pretty heavy stuff; even having read Wizard a Glass, the loss of Susan never resonated with the end of Roland and the birth of The Gunslinger – maybe I was not paying attention, but this comic really drove it home.

Downside – having to wait till February 2008 for the next run – The Long Road Home
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:42 am

So I have been catching up on X-Factor lately. I read the first 8 issues and holy cow is this title impressive. I think I can safely call House of M a success simply because it spawned this incredible title. Peter David has done an outstanding job making this easily THE best team book AND the best X book I have read in the past two years (yes that includes Astonishing). All of the characters are wonderfully bizarre and colorful. The art perfectly matches the tone of the story. Also, the CW tie-ins did not detract from the book, which is something that happened quite often during the event. I will be plowing through the remaining issues...I only hope the title maintains the same excellent quality. Check out the first trade if you get a chance. You will not be disappointed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:46 am

Reviews! Sweet Merciful Zeus Reviews!!!!!!

DC

All New Atom #14 - There are not words to describe the sheer amount of joy one can expect from this comic. Countdown, as a whole, has been a big mess of disappointment and yet with one issue Gail Simone has taken one of the shoddy Countdown stories and made it brilliant. The Countdown crew (that means YOU too Sean McKeever) should take note...THIS is how to write the Search for Ray Palmer crew. Everything in this issue is perfect and hilarious. Ted Kord returns in stellar fashion. Jet Pack wearing Hitler. Comedy gold. 4.5/5

Batman #666 - Now THIS is what I expected from Grant Morrison's BATMAN. This issue showcases just how trippy Morrison can be as he takes the reader into the future where Damien, Batman's son, has taken over the cape and cowl. This issue is a stand alone story that makes use of the titles 666th issue. Some really excellent stuff is presented in this issue...probably one of the best of Morrison's run. After the long delay it is good to see that Batman is shipping TWICE in August...with the return of The Batmen of All Nations and JH Williams III handling the art! Hellz yeah! 4/5

Metal Men #1 - YYYYYYYYIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE! I can hardly contain my glee. I have been so pumped for this book since it was announced and having it finally arrive has me smiling from ear to ear. Whatsmore, it is REALLY, REALLY good. I have no idea who Duncan Rouleau is, but you can bet I am going to try and track down some of his stuff because boy howdy does he deliver in spades. His art is PERFECT for the Metal Men and his writing is just so fun. What an absolute perfect pairing of talent and characters. Unfortunately, it is a rare thing these days to NOT be disappointed by a comic. Metal Men seeks to change that. It would seem that all of the books spinning out of 52 that were labelled as having "Ideas by Grant Morrison" have succeeded in winning me over (All New Atom, Metal Men, Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters). This book ROCKS! 4.5/5

Marvel

Incredible Hulk #108 - Hmmm. This issue has me pretty conflicted. On the one hand...it is a very insightful issue that highlights the similarities and differences between the Hulks two closest friends: Miek and Rick Jones. Pak very cleverly tells the two tales side by side, which makes for a very nice read. On the OTHER hand, this issue kind of slows the breakneck pace that WWH has been sporting thus far. I like this story and I am glad that it was told...but it DOES kind of slow things down a bit. 3/5

Thor #2 - Here's the thing: I like this series so far. I think JMS is really digging deep to write this series. I kind of feel he was ill suited for Amazing Spider-Man, but with Thor he has something he can really sink his teeth into. However, this issue doesn't really accomplish much. It feels to me as though they could have fit this into the first issue and just sold it as an oversized issue #1. As it stands, we are two issues in and nothing has really happened. I have a feeling that we are in store for something really special from JMS and Oliver Coipel...it is just taking a little while to get there. 3/5

World War Hulk #3 - This mini-series is such a breath of fresh air following the psuedo-political, constantly delayed, clusterfuck of a mess Civil War. Now I love deep and complex stories as much as anyone, but sometimes comic books should just be comic books. Grek Pak and JRJR are delivering a comic book that FEELS likea comic book. Its action packed and it delivers it's thrills within the confines of the 32 pages and then offers up just enough so you'll want to come back for more. And a big plus...it is on time, which has actually turned into something praiseworthy. "Yay you did what you were paid to do! GOOD JOB!" People seem pretty intent to knock this book for simply being one big fight after another...which is funny because that is pretty much what they billed the book to be. Its fun and its shallow. Enjoy. 4/5

Dark Horse

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #5 - This is the issue I have been waiting for. This issue FEELS like a Buffy episode...and the most ironic thing is that it scarcely features anyone from the actual show. Instead, this issue focuses on one of Buffy's decoys. It is a touching tale. A stand alone issue. It is Joss Whedon at his best. There really isn't anything more to say. 4/5

Have no fear...MORE REVIEWS TO COME!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:36 am

Buffy 5 was a stinker for me. It reminded me of that episode of Star Trek TNG that focused on a bunch of random crew nerds, and then one died and we were all, "OMFG WHO CARES" because we didn't know her anyway.

And the slow pace in Thor is accurate, but when I read it, it doesn't feel that way. But looking back, you are right, and I am impossibly irritated that Marvel's greatest Supervillain shows up next issue. What? Were Spiderman or Wolverine too busy?

I wish Marvel would launch a series with the policy that there would be no cross over bullshit within the first 12 issues. DC should do the same. DC fucking RUINED JLA within 12 issues by throwing that bullshit JSA crossover in my FACE. I mean, I really don't give a flying fuck what Thor's response to Registration will be unless it's "wtf you made a robot clone of me lol" *smash*. And all that happens in the first panel.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:34 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Buffy 5 was a stinker for me. It reminded me of that episode of Star Trek TNG that focused on a bunch of random crew nerds, and then one died and we were all, "OMFG WHO CARES" because we didn't know her anyway.

And the slow pace in Thor is accurate, but when I read it, it doesn't feel that way. But looking back, you are right, and I am impossibly irritated that Marvel's greatest Supervillain shows up next issue. What? Were Spiderman or Wolverine too busy?

I wish Marvel would launch a series with the policy that there would be no cross over bullshit within the first 12 issues. DC should do the same. DC fucking RUINED JLA within 12 issues by throwing that bullshit JSA crossover in my FACE. I mean, I really don't give a flying fuck what Thor's response to Registration will be unless it's "wtf you made a robot clone of me lol" *smash*. And all that happens in the first panel.

Yeah Buffy #5 pretty much hinges on whether or not your willing to invest in this random character. Personally, I always found that to be one of Whedon's strengths...making the audience care for characters that are relatively new. But if you don't end up caring for that character at the end of the issue than it is a total waste. So I totally get where you are coming from Burl.

As for Thor...I didn't see the previews for next issue and you just broke my heart. Why can't they let this issue gain some ground before they mix it up with all of this shit? Ugh. I am with you on this...12 issues before they intermingle.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:50 am

Metal Men #1
Off to a good start, the first issue is a lot of fun. Love the opening and closing panels, but what I found the coolest was the F.Y.I. convention, with Magnus complaining that Palmer’s work is getting all the attention

Nice work on this one, and I have to see next issue, titled Death Metal Men. That sounds too fun to pass on.

JSA#8

I never really knew anything about Liberty Belle, and now I know too much.

This issue was kind of cool, but I started wondering how many fucking speedsters does DC have? It seems like anybody can crack a math formula and be part of the gang.

The neat thing was this comic read like some of Watchmen’s Laurie Juspeczyk. The bad thing with this comic is she is married to Hour-man, whom happens to look exactly like The Sphinx from Mystery Men. That will pull you out of the story pretty quickly. :â€
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:38 am

Countdown 38
Goodbye. No, it’s me; I need some space right now. You have to go, I will pack your stuff, and you can come pick it up later, just go, now.

Fantastic Five#3
This run just keeps delivering the fun. Straight up, old school adventure comic fun. Ben Grimm’s concrete patch job was great, and Reed is the perfect puss he has always been, making the tough calls but crying all the way.

This book feels more like it is coming from the house of Moore, America’s Best Comics, than Marvel. Science heroes doing their thing rules, and I just love that the Thing has lost half his rocks, but still manages to kick ass. Bravo, Tom DeFalco and Ron Lim, you have brought a good thing to life.

Black Adam#1
Interesting, well written and pulling no punches, this is off to a good start. A book following the exploits of a dictator asshole? Sign me up.

Batman Confidential#8
S’okay. I don't know why they are wheeling this story line out again, however my real concern is the pencils are starting to suck.

Green Lantern#22
Fucking Awesome. That is all.

World War Hulk: Front line#3
This book is not that great, however it saves me having to buy all of the tie-ins - this comic is the 'Readers Digest' of Marvel right now, and fills in the gaps. Maybe the comic is more like mortar.

No, it’s like Readers Digest.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:58 am

shitgoddamn Batman 667 was like the best comic book I have ever read in my whole life! Such fun!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:22 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:shitgoddamn Batman 667 was like the best comic book I have ever read in my whole life! Such fun!

Seconded. Batman #667 was an excellent book. I LOVE JH Williams III as the artist on this book. His pairing with Morrison has always yielded stellar results...but especially the two of them on this particular arc...well it has me super excited.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:57 pm

I have been laughing my ass off all morning about the killer carrying around 17 huge butcher knives to use on that studly italian fuck. So funny.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:30 am

12 Reasons Why I Love Her

Jamie S. Rich
Joelle Jones

It just so happens that, the same week I read this book, I saw ONCE and STARDUST...two utterly romantic movies. In many ways, 12 Reasons Why I Love Her plays out exactly like an indie romance film...and that is a damn good thing. The concept for the book is so simple and so effective: twelve short stories that document the relationship of Gwen and Evan at various times in their relationship. Often, we are treated to the aftermath of an event before we see the actual event. It is quite remarkable how natural this story reads. The jealousy, the lies, the vulnerability, the overall emotions and reactions of the characters feel so thoroughly real. It doesn't hurt that the book is beautifully drawn. The B&W only heightens the "indie film" vibe you can't help but get from the book. In the end, this is a strong book for anyone who enjoys stories about love and relationships. Excellent read.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:06 pm

Yay!, Glad you enjoyed it - sent my heart-a-flutter when I read it the first time.

Did you find yourself falling in love with Gwen and really resenting Evan's actions? No? oh.....:oops:

Jones's artwork is beautiful. She and Rich are still working on another project, some kind of crime caper - can't wait for that - I'll look for some fresh info.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 am

doglips wrote:Yay!, Glad you enjoyed it - sent my heart-a-flutter when I read it the first time.

Did you find yourself falling in love with Gwen and really resenting Evan's actions? No? oh.....:oops:

Jones's artwork is beautiful. She and Rich are still working on another project, some kind of crime caper - can't wait for that - I'll look for some fresh info.

The only time I really resented Evan's actions was in the first story. I hated his being all dickish about the flowers Gwen gave him. I felt that his anger towards Gwen when he found the flowers sent to her was maybe a little over-the-top, but I think it was just a way to articulate his jealousy without using caption boxes...but I can relate to jealousy. I have dated several girls that I felt were probably out of my league. As a result, I would get kind of paranoid. I never was so outright and vocal with my jealousy.

Gwen was just so precious though. I loved her...and I understood Evan.

The art is phenomenal. Next to Kelly's stuff on LOCAL this is some of my favorite art. It will be interesting to see Rich step out of his romance niche and into a crime drama.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:27 am

Wolverine: Origins #16
God. Damn. It.

Marvel, why are you doing this to me? Why do you insist on twisting my buyer’s remorse dial to 11? Did I say something? That’s usually what it is…is that what it is?

I only ask because some of the time you are so good to me (WWHulk), it makes me happier than a little kid on a swing, then right when I am smiling hardest, you throw up the back of your ring hand and split my lip with shit like Origins 16.
What the fuck?

Someone thought it clever to pay homage to Cap and retell Uncanny X-Men #268 from a different perspective, and it would have been clever, had they not included Uncanny X-Men#268 IN THE BOOK. Come on! That is tantamount to pulling off a fairly cool illusion, then turning around to the audience and showing them how you did it. Morons. If you know how it works, it is great, you get to be in on the secret; if not, great, you get to be mystified by the illusion.

Let me change gears for one second ,however, because the preview of Wolverine #56 was excellent, in fact, it was the best thing about this issue.

Origins, you better get your head wired to your ass quick, or I am curbing you.

2 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness

JLA #12
Um, what the hell was that about? No, no, don’t get me wrong, I mean, it looked great, read fine, no typos or the like, but, ah, what was the point? Did you really do a ‘The League is Back!’ issue? Because its issue 12, you know. 12. Issues.

Forget it.

4 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness

The Brave and the Bold #6
Excelsior! Go show your brothers how to make a comic, my favorite son.

Amazons Attack! #5
I really like this run, but again will sound off on how it will wrap. Lots to resolve, and it feels like it will get a dust-off and some cherubs will drop down and grab all the players and everyone will be happy, the end.

You know what I mean.

Survey says! 7 out of 10 thumbs up

Countdown 37
So, even though I dropped this, they still pulled it, whatever. This book would not even be up here, but it is SO bad, so ridiculous, that I had to just let you know, it is shit. -10000 thumbs up.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:49 pm

So...

I've officially fallen in love with FAKER. The first two issues have really won me over. Carey's bizarre sci-fi concept is strangely understated, but what is surprising is the high level of characterization. Now, I am far from a Carey expert, but the stuff that I have read from him previously has been high on the sci-fi, but fell short on the characterization and pacing. This story works so well because the crazy concept is kind of small...and the characters are front and center.

If you haven't checked out this title yet...I would strongly suggest picking up the first two issues. $6 well spent, trust me.

Also, Warren Ellis' Crecy was way better than I thought it would be. It helps that I was quite unfamiliar with this particular battle, but Ellis does a wonderful job telling the story in 40 pages. I must say...the marriage of Warren Ellis and Avatar Press has produced some wonderful things. The trifecta of Black Summer, Doktor Sleepless, and Crecy should not be missed.

And the big finale:

BOOSTER GOLD #1! My lord what a comic book. Honestly, Geoff Johns PWNS the DCU. The way he writes Booster Gold...he may very well be my favorite character in the DCU (although Gail Simone's ATOM is pretty amazing too!). The last splash page and then the very last page were just...I mean...YEAH! It is so hard to write a good #1...unless your name is Geoff Johns apparently.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:20 am

Casanova is dead...

LONG LIVE CASANOVA!

can't believe none of you loopy gentlemen have reviewed it yet...

:x

a most awesome first issue of the second season, highlights include Kaito's "shits", blue instead of green but still a dearth of color (no Ba, but we get his (evil) twin!), "everybody talking like Cool Struggling Background Artist Catchphrase was their native tongue!" and "Elliptical philosophy & overwhelming fictional technobabble masquerading as character development!"*

When is Casanova Quinn indeed...

*Fraction both reviews and pimps himself better than anyone else...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:40 am

@KCBC - You recommended this series to me long ago, and my comics’ provider is no slouch, Criminal Records - they have no idea what the fuck I am talking about every time I ask about getting this pulled.

Seriously blank stares from all directions.

I swear to God they are not looking for it online when they say they are; if I could get behind that counter I bet I would see comic guy surfing pr0n, pretending to look up back issues.

Fucker.

I am just going to have to order it from Midtown or something.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:05 am

jeez, it's Image, not part of the big two, but certainly no slouch in the comic industry...

Fraction's got a website, there have been reviews in CBR, AICN, there's even a wiki page.

that place does have a kickass music section tho'...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:08 pm

Shit, I've missed picking up my comics for two weeks. I'm gonna have to go get em tomorrow, I need a Casanova hit.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Simon Quinlank on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:27 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:BOOSTER GOLD #1! My lord what a comic book. Honestly, Geoff Johns PWNS the DCU. The way he writes Booster Gold...he may very well be my favorite character in the DCU (although Gail Simone's ATOM is pretty amazing too!). The last splash page and then the very last page were just...I mean...YEAH! It is so hard to write a good #1...unless your name is Geoff Johns apparently.

Booster Gold is far too overlooked and the character has often been more interesting than the a-listers.
I AM THE KING OF ALL HOBBIES
Simon Quinlank
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:40 pm

unikrunk wrote:@KCBC - You recommended this series to me long ago, and my comics’ provider is no slouch, Criminal Records - they have no idea what the fuck I am talking about every time I ask about getting this pulled.

Seriously blank stares from all directions.

I swear to God they are not looking for it online when they say they are; if I could get behind that counter I bet I would see comic guy surfing pr0n, pretending to look up back issues.

Fucker.

I am just going to have to order it from Midtown or something.

Tell them to pull out the store copy of August Diamond Previews and turn to page 151. There's Casanova #10 and a reissue of the first collection. Or they could swing the monitor around while you show them the complete consumer order form available by selecting PDF or text on this page right here and scrolling down to the listings for page 151. If they can't read that you shouldn't buy your comics there anymore.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby instant_karma on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:28 pm

Simon Quinlank wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:BOOSTER GOLD #1! My lord what a comic book. Honestly, Geoff Johns PWNS the DCU. The way he writes Booster Gold...he may very well be my favorite character in the DCU (although Gail Simone's ATOM is pretty amazing too!). The last splash page and then the very last page were just...I mean...YEAH! It is so hard to write a good #1...unless your name is Geoff Johns apparently.

Booster Gold is far too overlooked and the character has often been more interesting than the a-listers.

Agreed. I had no idea that that there was a new Booster Gold series. It's times like this that only buying collected editions can be frustrating.

Then again, I'm sure you'd tell me I'm doing the comic book collecting hobby wrong...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:12 am

So, I just finished reading JLA #12. After reading the final page I felt compelled to write about the now concluded Brad Meltzer/Ed Benes run on the title. Now I know that there are more than a few folks that strongly dislike Meltzer's work. His writing style is far from traditional and it the League itself was hardly made up of "the big 7". However, I will miss Meltzer. You see I feel that his run, although flawed, had moments of absolute greatness. The first six issues are just stunning. I know a lot of folks complained about how long it took to officially form the team, but I am not one of those people. The Tornado's Path was one of the more emotional comics I have read. I loved the characterization and I love the Red Tornado and the League's journey. The next issue was a standalone and it was quite good. Unfortunately, the amazing first arc was followed up by the absolutely hideous Lightning Saga. All that crossover did was completely stall any momentum the title had gained. It absolutely KILLED the title. To make matters worse, the final two issues that followed the Lightning Saga were excellent. It was almost like a horrible tease. "Here what my run COULD have been like! Muhahahahah!" Issue #11 was an excellent excerise in negative space. It was well written and it wasn't what you would expect from a JLA comic. The final issue is oversized and it is nothing but talking. To some, this might be the kiss of death. An entire JLA comic with just TALKING? But when it is Brad Meltzer writing the dialogue, I don't mind reading nothing but talking. He writes the League so well that this final issue is the perfect bookend to a run that should have been legendary. Instead, it was a flawed gem that will leave us fans wondering what could have been.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:45 am

Astonishing X-Men #22: Once in a while, Summers, we remember why you're still in charge of this team.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:24 am

Sigh.

Flash #231...really Mark Waid? That is the best you came up with? And don't even get me started on Acuna's art. I hated it on GL and I hate it now. I am convinced that DC absolutely HATES The Flash. They want to APPEAR like that isn't the case (giving Bart Allen a solid send off, getting Mark Waid to come back), but it is just a terrible ruse. The solid send off for Bart came after 8 of the most horrible issues of any comic I have ever read. Mark Waid's return comes complete with "Tear your eyes out...NOW!" art...not to mention the first issue is some sloppy writing.

I don't think "Jimmy Olsen Must Die!" is accurate...I want t-shirts that say "The Flash Must Suck!" Dan Didio should write a book "Crisis: Or How I Plan to Destroy DC Comics and Get Away With It!"

Ugh. I suppose I should NEVER write a review when I am angry.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:03 am

Yeah Dan Didio must be some kind of retard.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:27 am

X-Men: First Class – Series One
Pretty okay, I like that this is light in tone, however it would work better if the writers remembered to keep it grounded in the past – sometimes it looks like it takes place in the past, but a lot of the time it seems like the present, which undoes the entire concept. Also, it would be nice if the covers of these 8 issues actually reflected the art in the book – the book art is a little too cartoony in contrast with the cover art. Don't get me wrong, I like cartoony, but I don't like the old bait and switch - if I am looking at a cover, I expect the art inside to reflect it, at least a modicum of it. A complete 180 is not cool

Favorite issue was probably numero uno – with Jean needing a positive female role model, and getting to take part in an FF duel with…I don’t remember who they were fighting, maybe moleman, regardless, it was cool.

7 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness

Aquaman – Sword of Atlantis #50-54
WOW and WTF? When did Aquaman get interesting? I can’t put my finger on it, but there is something about this book that I really dig – Tad Williams writes the sea as a character, which I think helps this book a lot, in addition I picked up at #50, so there is this element of discovery and mystery for me personally.

I have been told that 50 was ‘the’ place to start with this series, but I am going back to dig up all the other issues – I must know how Orin came to be, and whom the fuck the pale dreadlocks man is (I have a hunch its Orin’s son).

8 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness

-----------------------------------------------

Now this is a find – shelving my comics I found a TPB that I had purchased a while ago, and forgot about.

Terra Obscura vol. #2 - Moore and Hogan

I love Tom Strange, and the entire ‘second earth’ deal – and a book devoted to him and his band of do-gooders is gold in my eyes. Go buy this, in fact, go get everything ABC puts out, shit, even Tomorrow Stories are great.
But back to the book at hand. Excellent writing? Check. Great art? Check. Fun filled adventure comics with perfect beats and great characters? Check, check, and check.

10 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:38 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:jeez, it's Image, not part of the big two, but certainly no slouch in the comic industry...

Fraction's got a website, there have been reviews in CBR, AICN, there's even a wiki page.

that place does have a kickass music section tho'...

Their music section is tits - and they have fantastic in-stores all the time - I saw Mastodon play in there - the place is not very big, it was insane.

I am frikkin psyched; Billy Childish of Thee Headcoats is doing an in-store on Sept. 1 - I am fucking there! (Thee Headcoats happen to be one of the bestest bands to stride the planet, IMO)

They have a huge comics section as well – and the comic peeps are well versed, hence my confusion over pulling a title that is currently in print – it’s not like I am asking for Miracle Man or something.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Batman #666-668
HOLY FUCK. I have stayed away from Batman and Son, for fear of it being idiotic overly-convenient crap; if these three issues are any indication of Batman and Son consider the fucker bought.

Sweet mother of god, some of the best comic writing and art I have laid eyes upon in a while, of course #666 stands out from the pack for me, with the extra bit o’ violence.

HE KILLS! YAY!

Fantastic Five #4
More awesomeness from Defalco, Lim and Koblish. Last panel rules. You should be digging through a crate at your comic shop for these instead of reading this post. GO!

X-Men: First Class Series 2 #1-3
Better than the first run, but that may be because I am getting more accustomed to this take on the franchise; they still need to tighten up on the story telling, and stop with the ‘Guest of the Week’ deal. The run has surpassed that; let’s get some original story lines going here.

The Initiative: Sub-Mariner #2-3
MMMMMMMMmmmmmokay. The last panel of #3 was pretty ugly, in a good way.

Why the shit would he go there though? Meh, kill Tony Stark, and I will be happy.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:05 pm

Saga of the Swamp Thing – Book One
Moore, Bissette, Totleben

Cataloguing issues #21 through #27 of Swamp Thing, this TPB works incredibly well as a standalone book. This is horror / fantasy comics writing at its finest, with Bissette and Totleben’s art perfectly integrating to produce one of the best comics this geek has read to date.

It seems that their collective take on the horror comics’ genre directly influenced Gaiman and McKean’s first Sandman run; this is seen in the art and the function of the protagonist awakening again to a seat of power and self understanding.

An incredibly fun and dark take on Entrigan and a brief cameo by the JLA are handled very well, while the stories with these characters did not put them in center stage; rather, we see them as Swamp Thing sees them.

I highly recommend this to any comic book reader, as it is unassuming in its approach and does not have any need for requisite knowledge of the character, or the DC universe at large.

How can you not love a book that begins with this?

[i]“It’s raining in Washington tonight. Plump, warm rain that covers the sidewalks with leopard spots. Downtown, elderly ladies carry their houseplants out to set them on the fire escapes, as if they were infirm relatives or boy kingsâ€
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:18 pm

Dark Tower #1-7 and Silver Surfer: Requiem #1-4 are modern classics. Count on it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Casanova is dead...

LONG LIVE CASANOVA!

can't believe none of you loopy gentlemen have reviewed it yet...

:x

a most awesome first issue of the second season, highlights include Kaito's "shits", blue instead of green but still a dearth of color (no Ba, but we get his (evil) twin!), "everybody talking like Cool Struggling Background Artist Catchphrase was their native tongue!" and "Elliptical philosophy & overwhelming fictional technobabble masquerading as character development!"*

When is Casanova Quinn indeed...

*Fraction both reviews and pimps himself better than anyone else...

I enjoyed it, but I did think it was a little empty on content. It just read as if Fraction was giving it less thought than usual. He's a busy guy now.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books