Comic Book Reviews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:45 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Image

12 Reasons Why I Love Her

Jamie S. Rich
Joelle Jones

It just so happens that, the same week I read this book, I saw ONCE and STARDUST...two utterly romantic movies. In many ways, 12 Reasons Why I Love Her plays out exactly like an indie romance film...and that is a damn good thing. The concept for the book is so simple and so effective: twelve short stories that document the relationship of Gwen and Evan at various times in their relationship. Often, we are treated to the aftermath of an event before we see the actual event. It is quite remarkable how natural this story reads. The jealousy, the lies, the vulnerability, the overall emotions and reactions of the characters feel so thoroughly real. It doesn't hurt that the book is beautifully drawn. The B&W only heightens the "indie film" vibe you can't help but get from the book. In the end, this is a strong book for anyone who enjoys stories about love and relationships. Excellent read.

I just about picked this up. I may still based on your glowing review.
Maui
WoWie

Postby doglips on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:48 pm

GET IT, GET IT!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:52 pm

doglips wrote:GET IT, GET IT!

OK OK ;)

I like the romantical ones you know.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:09 am

So, seriously, none of you guys read Dark Tower or Silver Surfer: Reqiuem? I simply can't recommend them enough. I never read the Dark Tower books (I know...take some geek points away) but after reading this comic I am so tempted to give them a read. The Dark Tower comic book feels insanely epic and Jae Lee's art is stunning...especially with the painted coloring. Peter David is becoming one of those writers where I will buy ANYTHING that has his name on it. Between this, X-Factor, and the Hulk Visionaries...the dude has taken over my comic book reading life. Now he is taking over She-Hulk? Count me in.

Silver Surfer: Requiem is so stunning. JMS is writing his balls off and the art is this sort of alex ross painting thing that totally fits the story. Suddenly the Silver Surfer is one of my favorite Marvel characters and the thought of JMS writing the Surfer screenplay has me uber-excited. Although it is only 4 issues long, this mini is entirely worth the read.

As I stated earlier, both of these are instant classics. Mark my words. And with word that there is more Dark Tower comics to come in Feb. of 2008...well I just don't know if I can wait that long. But it will at the very least give me some time to try and catch up with the books.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:30 am

Yeah, my comic-buying has slumped hardcore within the last eighteen months. Really need to get back into them.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby unikrunk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:49 am

Leckomaniac wrote:So, seriously, none of you guys read Dark Tower or Silver Surfer: Reqiuem? I simply can't recommend them enough. I never read the Dark Tower books (I know...take some geek points away) but after reading this comic I am so tempted to give them a read. The Dark Tower comic book feels insanely epic and Jae Lee's art is stunning...especially with the painted coloring. Peter David is becoming one of those writers where I will buy ANYTHING that has his name on it. Between this, X-Factor, and the Hulk Visionaries...the dude has taken over my comic book reading life. Now he is taking over She-Hulk? Count me in.

Silver Surfer: Requiem is so stunning. JMS is writing his balls off and the art is this sort of alex ross painting thing that totally fits the story. Suddenly the Silver Surfer is one of my favorite Marvel characters and the thought of JMS writing the Surfer screenplay has me uber-excited. Although it is only 4 issues long, this mini is entirely worth the read.

As I stated earlier, both of these are instant classics. Mark my words. And with word that there is more Dark Tower comics to come in Feb. of 2008...well I just don't know if I can wait that long. But it will at the very least give me some time to try and catch up with the books.

I read them both, but am missing Requiem #2 - have it on back order, and I am not going to skip one quarter of the story on this one - read the first issue, not reading anymore until #2 is in my paws.

I posted a little review for each of the Gunslinger Born books; they are scattered around this thread - I am pissed that the next run does not start until 2008. I am hoping for an original story line this time; that entire world is ripe for the picking, just don’t touch the roses.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:43 am

What do you get when you mix one part Secret of NIMH, two parts Mignola folk lore and drawing style, and one part Tolkien?

The Mice Templar: Glass Oeming- issue #1.

This comic is excellent in every way possible. I will not spoil this read for any of my zomies; just go buy it, and see for yourself.

10 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness

DC New Frontier Absolute Edition

Cheese and Crackers! Wow. I am about halfway through this tome of awesomeness. How did I miss this before now? Incredible, hard hitting and fucking pure magic through and through – I feel safe writing a review of a book I have not finished, as I don’t see how they can fuck this up in the last half.

9 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale; saving one thumb for when I am finished with the book, let’s see if it earns it.

Amazons Attack #6 of 6

I fucking knew it! Please read my review of #5, where I voiced concerns that this book would wrap ala Deus Ex Machina.

Guess fucking what?

God shows up and ends the conflict. Pheifer, Woods, step into my office please. Why? Because you are fucking fired!

0 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness, and an extra note; everyone involved with this run should be hanging their heads in collective shame. Even the caterers, as they say.

Countdown to Adventure #1

I had to give it a taste, and it tastes bad. Kind of like licking a 9 volt battery while chewing on tinfoil.

2 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness

Countdown 35

Okay, I will admit I have been trying to drop this book, but I must be like one of those wives that do not mind getting smacked around by their husbands, because I cannot stop buying this shit-fest, hoping with each purchase that it will finally start to come together.

I am an enabler of this book. Someone help me, please.

0 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:05 am

Double Robert Kirkman duty:

Walking Dead #38-41 and Invincible #43-45.

Walking Dead is getting on my nerves. Sometimes it is a kick ass zombie book and sometimes it is a soap opera with zombies in it. I don't know. This title is at its best when Kirkman is putting his characters through the proverbial wringer. A few good moments in there, but ultimately unfulfilling.

Invincible, on the other hand, just certainly saved itself from being dropped from my pull list. Kirkman's weaving some pretty solid stories and he juggles the whole thing quite nicely. Can't wait to see what he has coming around the bend next.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:35 am

The Last Fantastic Four Story
Stan Lee / John Romita Jr.

Okay, this is pure crap. Stan Lee should just stick to cameo's from here on out, because 'By The Hairy Hosts of Horgoth' just does not cut it today. And yes, that phrase is uttered by Strange in this POS.

The Adjudicator? The Cosmic Tribunal?

This book reads like it was written during a bout of dementia; it is all over the place, and completely incoherent.

Add to that; dull, boring, done already a thousand times. This book is a non-event.

An utter waste of time and money.

0 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:37 am

Wow.

Not surprising, but sad.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby unikrunk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:23 pm

Swamp Thing: Love and Death TPB- vol. #2
Moore /Bissette / Totleben

Picking up on Saga of The Swamp Thing #28 and running through #34, this volume much like the first is pitch perfect, and functions equally as well as a standalone book (mostly).

In reviewing the first volume of Moore’s Swamp Thing run, it was evident that the tone and pencils had influenced Gaiman and Keith’s early Sandman stuff. This volume not only opens with an excellent prologue by Gaiman, it also features two of his favorite characters, a Mr. Cain and Mr. Able in Chapter 7 (Saga of The Swamp Thing #33), hanging about in the dreaming. Gaiman makes note of this in the prologue, only in stating that the two brothers were the hosts of DC’s House of Secrets and House of Mystery (1972).

Starting with the burial of the corpse of Alec Holland this book is no slouch in showing that it is not going in the direction fans of other incarnations of the character had been before. This starts with the Arcane trilogy, a gruesome trip through hell, terrifically rendered by Totleben and Bissette as the worst kind of helly hell you can imagine, with Swamps’ vigil to bring back Abigail’s wrongfully damned soul. Along the way we meet up with some great DC gallery, but it never feels forced or ‘guest of the week’; rather, the cameos fit the story and are part of it. Among them we are treated to Deadman, The Specter, and best of them, IMO, The Stranger.

Closing the book is a series of simply fun stories, one a tribute to Walt Kelly’s Pogo Possum, titled ‘Pog’. This is certainly the lightest in tone, but the language employed by the space-men is incredibly imaginative and fun, and the colors are the best of the book.

Great run, terrific collection, 10 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness

And…

Countdown 34
The rouges get a spank by Wally, and Bats, I think, and something went down with the bug queen or some shit. Yeah, I know, I bought it. Gah.

Upgradable pukeness.

Metal Men #2
Everything about this book, thus far, is pure gold. The second half of issue two is where this bitch starts to fly, and by the time Tom Morrow shows, shit is sweetly set up; the payoff better come quick.

The Death Metal Men are rad.

9 out of 10 thumbs up

Lobster Johnson – The Iron Prometheus

Sweet. Holy Fuck. Thank you.

10 out of 10 thumbs up
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:08 am

I've been quite busy as of late and I have been unable to write any kind of reviews. However, I just read a whole batch of new comics and there was one that I simply HAD to write about.

Metal Men #2 - !!! This comic is just pure gold (no pun intended). I simply can't describe how many times, while reading through this book, that I uncontrollably giggled with delight. There is just SO much to love about this book. It is fun, but not dumbed down, it is light, but not too light or cheesy. As long as Duncan Rouleau is writing and drawing this book...I will be reading it. So far he has produced two quality issues that rank among some of the best comics that have come out this year. Seriously, check this book out. And if you make it to that last page without laughing wildly while at the same time begging for more...well then I just don't want to know ya.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:37 pm

Okay, I am in the middle of reading a bunch of comics, but had to break away to post up on Thor#3.

OH YES!

This book is my new fave, by far. Tony Stark, meet GOD, and kiss your stupid ass goodbye.

I have been waiting for this payoff for a long time, and it was just so well done. They could have used the whole book to kick his drunken ass around, but Thor only needed half of it to take care of business.

And I love that Stark knows an even worse whuppin' is coming his way shortly...fucking government Magpie doosh.

GO THOR!
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:54 pm

does he shove his hammer up Iron Man's ass and turn him into a popcicle?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:51 pm

yes!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:00 pm

i refuse to recognize this as canon.

civil war never happened.

Tony rawks.

i hate this.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:14 pm

I'm tellin' ya, the War was all due to alien manipulation. Them Skrulls had more to do with it than Marvel is letting on.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:43 am

Peven wrote:does he shove his hammer up Iron Man's ass and turn him into a popcicle?

Essentially, yeah. I mean, the beat down is comparable to being violated by Mjolnir.

Thor wrote:"Remember this, I am a GOD, and you are a man in a metal suit" Wha-boooooommm!!!!!

Repeat.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:08 am

X-Men: Emperor Vulcan #1
The only X-Men that I read are typically the TPBs for Astounding – so I thought I would give this book a taste and broaden my mutie palate. I am quite glad I did, because this issue tastes delicious. Off to a good start, hopefully this series will play out well.

Issue #1, I hereby charge you with 7 out of 10 thumbs up on the unikrunk scale of goodness. Court adjourned.

BPRD: Killing Ground #2
This really did not build off the last issue well; I still like it, but it did not really move the story forward. Yes, there is a little character building with Johann and Daimio, and we find out that the wendigo is really strong.

6 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness

Countdown 33
Okay, I am glad I did not drop it; Wally has some fleeting moments of awesome dealing with the rouges, and Bob, Donna and Jason’s adventure tool a cool turn.

6 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness

Green Lantern #23
Fucking sweet; Hal Jordan is my new fave lantern, after mastering (to a degree) the yellow rings). Also loved the edict handed down from Oa – blasted out to the Lanterns – You are now authorized to use lethal force…awesome.

8 out of 10 thumbs up

Batman Confidential #9
Really? You are doing this story line, now? Why? Gah!

And the art…horrid. I wish I had my scanner up (can’t find the power cord since moving) so I could point out directly what I am speaking of when I say horrid. The entire book is ugly, but some parts are just ridiculous; the shading on Bat’s face in one panel looks like someone rubbed swaths of dirt and crap on it. Seriously. Dude, if you are trying to be Mignola by playing with the shading, just stop, because it not playing well at all – it looks terrible.

2 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:32 pm

Man oh man - I am in the middle of reading my pulls for this week but had to break away after WWHulk #4...

If you are not reading this series, you are missing the best revenge and ass-handings this side of a Charles Bronson movie. Holy fuck.

This issue made me cheer, out loud, alone, three times. Full on, 'Hell YEAH!!!' exposition from unikrunk to an empty room. Then I laughed maniacally at poor Stevie Strange's busted-ass hands.

NEVER STOP MAKING THEM PAY, SAKAARSON.

The Green King fucking rules. Oh, please send Sentry in, Hulk will toss his lousy agoraphobic ass into another dimension, but first I think he may get sodomized, jail-house style, by a very large green dink.

Can you tell that I am digging the hell out of this run?

8 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:53 pm

unikrunk wrote:This issue made me cheer, out loud, alone, three times. Full on, 'Hell YEAH!!!' exposition from unikrunk to an empty room. Then I laughed maniacally at poor Stevie Strange's busted-ass hands.

NEVER STOP MAKING THEM PAY, SAKAARSON.

The Green King fucking rules. Oh, please send Sentry in, Hulk will toss his lousy agoraphobic ass into another dimension, but first I think he may get sodomized, jail-house style, by a very large green dink.

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby unikrunk on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:12 am

@The Founder - that is an excellent drawing - where is that from, my good man?

/also, if your RL name is Andre Bjorn, I know your ass. If not, well, I just sound ALF, eh? :)
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:20 am

It's just an accidental cool find off of a google image search... and that's not my name, but it sounds cool so I might just change my name to Andre Bjorn.

The name's Bjorn, Andre Bjorn. My friends call me "Baby."
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby unikrunk on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:24 am

Pacino86845 wrote:It's just an accidental cool find off of a google image search... and that's not my name, but it sounds cool so I might just change my name to Andre Bjorn.

and NOBODY makes Baby sit in the corner...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:07 pm

I knew I should have picked up WWHulk back at Hero-con.

unikrunk wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:It's just an accidental cool find off of a google image search... and that's not my name, but it sounds cool so I might just change my name to Andre Bjorn.

and NOBODY makes Baby sit in the corner...

except Maui...
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:56 am

X-Men – First Class #4 (series 2)

This take on the mutant contingent of the Marvel U is really starting to grow on me. I really look forward to the issues, as they are simply old school fun comics, with our young heroes being teens and early 20 something’s, and their trials dealing with being at that point in one’s life.
This issues pairs young Bobby Drake with an at first rigid Hank McCoy. By the end of this thing, the two have developed a bond that the reader can actually feel – very good work from the writers and pencil pushers on this one.

I won’t go into further detail regarding this issue, as spoiling it would suck; it’s not like anything huge happens, in fact, that’s the point of the issue. What do these kids do for some down time? The answer, for Bobby and Hank, is quite fun.

The Initiative – Sub-Mariner #4

HOLY SHIT. Okay, need to spoil here a little, so, turn back now if you don’t care for that sort of thing.

Okay, everybody in? Let the ceremony begin:

If you have not been following this series, here is the lay of the land so far, more or less. Namor had planted sleeper cells in the US in a misguided attempt to keep his people safe from the surface dwellers little Civil War; one of those cells goes rouge, and blows up some shit – Namor is displeased, his name is mired once again, and all of the other cells are brought to light – Stark goes looking for him in Atlantis, where a coup is about to take place. The dudes running the coup? Yep, hooked up with the terrorist cell still loose in the US. So the government sends out Venom to bring down Namor last issue.

Issue ends with old Gills having his foot wings ripped out by the tongue waggling freak – pretty ugly.

So why all the spoilers and set up? I wanted to prep you for the one of the most brutal and awesome things I have seen in a comic book, and I hope Marvel keeps this as cannon, as it will vastly improve this character.

So, you are Namor, and this scumbag surface dweller just defiled your body, what to do? Kill him? Nah, too easy, and doesn’t send the right message. How about beat the ever-living-fuck out of him, and then tell him about how nasty his words sound. Then to send your point home, rip Venom’s giant ass tongue out of his head, and bitch slap his unconscious face with it. Yep – the tongue is gone folks. Bitch got gutted by Sea-Man. And my words here do the scene no justice, trust me. It is nasty, yet powerful and if Marvel keeps it, it changes the dynamic of Venom forever, thank fucking god. No more dumb shit being said and no more of that fucking Macfarlane tongue, ever, ever again. Please keep it this way Marvel.

The rest of the issue is pretty strong work as well, and deals with Namor trying to intervene on the rouge cell’s next act of terror.

9 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:34 pm

JLA #13

Love the art in this book, and the story is strong as hell; good to see the JLA actually get put to the test by The Injustice league. Interesting all the way through, can’t wait for the next issue to see where all this is going.

Countdown to Adventure #2

Surprisingly fucking awesome…out of nowhere. Bam! Love the way the book is cleanly divided, providing two distinct comics in one package; both stories are bad-ass – Animal Man cameo is excellent, and book is very bloody. I mean, really gory. And I love it.

Countdown 31

Again, this series is starting to slowly improve as the story coalesces. Love ‘Elsewhere’ stuff, and that is what this issue, and it looks like the next few, will be dealing with.

7 out of 10 thumbs up

JSA Classified #30 – Mr. Terrific –

Um, when did everyone in the DCU gain 50 lbs? The art in this is not very good. Everyone looks bloated and either under drawn or overdrawn – no middle ground. The story is tepid at best.

3 out of 10 thumbs up

Superman Confidential #6

WTF? Okay, so this issue starts with a note from the editor saying the Kryptonite series will be completed in later issues…so, the first 5 issues of this so far awesome series are just thrown away to make room for this…crap. Oh, it looks very pretty and all, but, Mer-Tropolis? Everyone is changed into a mer-person? King Superman?

I like ‘out of left field’ as much as the next nerd, but seriously, this is just too fucking much. Dudes, print the conclusion to the Kryptonite story, and put WaterWorld here to bed. Please.

4 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:49 pm

unikrunk wrote:Then to send your point home, rip Venom’s giant ass tongue out of his head, and bitch slap his unconscious face with it. Yep – the tongue is gone folks. Bitch got gutted by Sea-Man. And my words here do the scene no justice, trust me. It is nasty, yet powerful and if Marvel keeps it, it changes the dynamic of Venom forever, thank fucking god. No more dumb shit being said and no more of that fucking Macfarlane tongue, ever, ever again. Please keep it this way Marvel.

Venom is a shape-shifter, though; the tongue is not the host's tongue, just a creation of the merged host/symbiote mind. That's how "Venom" can have a foot-wide mouth and two-foot tongue but look completely normal when the host pulls the symbiont back. The host is not changing shape, the symbiont is building "Venom" over the host's own body.

I'm basing this on the very early history of the character. Spider-Man's black costume not only created webs for him, it could change shape and color so he didn't have to run around changing clothes when an emergency happened. Why he didn't just have the black suit look like the classic is hard to say, at least in continuity.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:15 pm

@Dennis - aw crap. That stinks; he also left the tongue, so he (Venom) could also pull a 'Durge', ala clone wars cartoon...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:05 pm

The situation may have changed, 'krunk. Venom does have a new host, and it's been 20 years so the rules may be different now.
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:10 pm

Let’s hope so, eh Dennis? I think a mute Venom would actually make the character a little more interesting, and it would add another personal vendetta leveled at Suby.

Also, that gaping maw would look a lot scarier with a mangled nub in it than the Macfarlane toilet-snake tongue...IMO.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 pm

Wikipedia attributes the character's appearance to the symbiont's shape-changing ability. Apparently it can even make the host look like a different person or invisible! And, I just learned, Erik Larsen is really the one who made the tongue insanely long.
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:20 pm

crap.

Well, at least I know now...and knowing is...like, at least 30% of the battle.

/used to be half, but the times, they are a'changin'
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:28 pm

unikrunk wrote:crap.

I always hated Venom. The concept of the symbiont costume doesn't work for me at all.

When his tongue gets ripped out, it should STAY ripped out, IMHO.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:42 pm

minstrel wrote:
unikrunk wrote:crap.

I always hated Venom. The concept of the symbiont costume doesn't work for me at all.

When his tongue gets ripped out, it should STAY ripped out, IMHO.

I am with you all the way - as I said, it would actually make the charcter interesting...but, whatevs. I have a feeling that the tongue is here to stay.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:10 pm

Truly. As if Namor won't get his wings back soon enough.

Was the fight as good as Thor's smackdown on Tony Stark?
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:20 pm

DennisMM wrote:Truly. As if Namor won't get his wings back soon enough.

Was the fight as good as Thor's smackdown on Tony Stark?

Oh hell no. Not even a drop in the pond compared to that. Thor brutalized his ass, repeatedly, then let him skulk away, with a warning that an even more serious ass-handing is on its way, just as soon as he (Thor) takes care of some other odds and ends, like resurrecting the other Gods of Valhalla.

No, this was pretty quick, but terribly efficient. When he ripped out the tongue and slapped him with it, I about fell out of my chair.

But I digress; nowhere near the Thor / Tony Stark beat-down. At least Venom got a few licks in, and tore off the foot wings. Tony just got gutted; he could not even put up a fight.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:02 pm

My favorite Marvel moment since this fucking Civil War started was after that epic beatdown.

Stark: (imagine a whine) My armor's broken. How am I supposed to get back to town?

Thor: Walk.
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Earth X – Universe X vol. 1-2– Paradise X vol. 1

Holy crap. Reading these books is tantamount to reading a telephone book, but less rewarding. As Burl has pointed out, I am a devout comic book nerd, and even I had to struggle through these tomes of irrelevance. Seriously, these books gave me a headache from grimacing so hard; this is no joke, it is what my wife calls my ‘furrow headaches’. As in, I am frowning so fucking hard that my head begins to fucking explode in pain.

WTF is the point of all this? I know what the writers and artists think is the point, but, well, they are wrong.

I could go on and on, but fuck that. If you enjoy action comics, stay the hell away from these books. The investment in time and money is not balanced to the payoff. Actually, there is no payoff at all, as Paradise X vol. 1 is nothing but a retelling of ‘the story thus far’, with the introduction of Cap, Dr. Doom and some other idiots as Angles trying to convince the populace of the Earth that they are indeed dead, and to come to heaven, which happens to be in the Negative Zone. Yeah, go ahead and scratch your head.

Overall, 3 out of 10 thumbs up on the scale of goodness, and all 3 are for the art.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:10 am

Metamorpho: Year One #1 - #2
The art is okay, the story is tepid at best. Really, most of these ‘Year One’ stories have been rather boring. Please see Green Arrow: Year One for further evidence, your honor.

WWH: Frontline #3
I am going to skip the regular storyline here, as it is pretty much the same as always; a recap of all the threads of the WWH event. Far more interesting is the Costume Division: Death of an Android story that has been building.

This is some great detective comic writing, following Detective Danny and Korg (my favorite of The Saarkarson’s war-bound) as they hunt for the killer of an…android. Okay, I know this sounds boring as shit, but that is due to my limited capacity to articulate its awesomeness.

Best lines in the book so far comes from Danny and Korg questioning (dangling over the top of a building) a suspected witness to the crime:

Danny: “What do you think Korg?â€
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Deathlok2001 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Ok, I will just say that you should be reading JSA, DD, Captain America, & Annihilation Conquest.
Deathlok2001
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:44 pm

Yes Annihilation Conquest had really really good intro minis. I liked the first issue of the mini series proper, but the big reveal of the big bad is kind of questionable. Only because I lost interest in him sometime around Secret Wars. Bleh. Besides the newer incarnation of that villain which is appearing in another marvel book is much more provacative (how was that for not spoiling shit!).
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:03 am

I broke down and sought out the comic shop here in Zurich. My pull list back home is fairly detailed so I couldn't pick up any of the titles I am REALLY dying for, but I was able to pick up some stuff to try out. Namely, three issues of Scalped and three issues of New X-Men.

Lets see how it goes.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:58 am

Whoa, how is it even possible that I have been missing out on New X-Men!??!

I just read issues #40, 41, and 42. They were AWESOME!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:50 am

Lecko, you just jogged my memory.

I still have to pick up '12 Reasons Why I love Her'. I liked your review and I'm looking for a more romantical type of comic book.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:58 am

Maui wrote:Lecko, you just jogged my memory.

I still have to pick up '12 Reasons Why I love Her'. I liked your review and I'm looking for a more romantical type of comic book.

DOOOO EEEEETTTTTT!!!

Its purty.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Whoa, how is it even possible that I have been missing out on New X-Men!??!

I just read issues #40, 41, and 42. They were AWESOME!!!

I like New X-Men, but I wish they would slow down a bit. I don't even know what the powers are for half the kids, and the other half gets morphed/more powerful like every other issue. I wish they would take a look at old issues of New Mutants and see how writers took things slow and gave the readers a sense of wonder about their abilities and anticipation of watching them get more powerful.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:45 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I don't even know what the powers are for half the kids, and the other half gets morphed/more powerful like every other issue.

Since a the Heroes, they rip offa the X-Books, a the X-Books, they only thought it appropriate to return a the favor, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:49 pm

God dude, let it go.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby instant_karma on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Just finished reading first issue of volume 3 of The Ultimates.

I'm too underwhelmed to write anything other than how underwhelming it is...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books