Comic Book Reviews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:35 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I think I like it a little more than you, Lecko, but I'm with you all the way. I think the book has had two really fun issues so far that hint at a great deal of potential, but it ain't soaring quite like we were told it would. Or at least yet.

I think perhaps I have misrepresented my position because, and I can't stress this enough, I DO like the book. I consistently have said it is above average, which is nothing to sneeze at. I am just expressing dismay at the direction that Millar decided to take, as well as the outrageous amount of hyperbole he employed to sell the book*. It is a good book, but unfortunately it is far from ideal (from where I am sitting, that is). That is all.

*I understand that ICON provides NO money for advertising so he was just trying to pimp his book so that it would sell...so I understand why he did it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Whatever, Skrull Lecko. I know the real Lecko hates this book.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:49 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Whatever, Skrull Lecko. I know the real Lecko hates this book.

He Loves You

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:54 pm

:shock:

GAH!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:58 pm

MasterWhedon wrote::shock:

GAH!

I wish there was a Skrull emo-ticon....

...now no one is going to trust me :(.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:40 pm

seriously though, it's only 2 issues in, and Millar is renown for absolutely killer finales...well, at least in his indie & elseworld stuff.

WANTED
CHOSEN
RED SON

all started off fairly strong and only got better. Aside from THE ULTIMATES, I'm not familiar with his major label forays, but I was reminded, after the sorta disappointing ending to his run on THE ULTIMATES (and that was mainly due to delays) just why I adore his work so much in the first place.

I guess my question for Lecko is what would you have done differently, or what pronouncements led you to expect something more than what's happened so far.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I guess my question for Lecko is what would you have done differently, or what pronouncements led you to expect something more than what's happened so far.

Well, first and foremost is the protagonist. I would have preferred it if Millar had stuck to his ORIGINAL plan of having the character be, simply put, average. Or, more accurately, invisible. I can't find the interview just yet, but Millar stated many times that his protagonist would be the type of kid that doesn't stand out. That stays in the background. Instead, he came off incredibly dorky, which is exactly what Millar stated he wouldn't do. He said that kid wouldn't be an "uber nerd" like Peter Parker, but ultimately that is exactly what he is. I would have put scenes, such as the lunchroom scene, where we barely see our main character. Have him fade in the background. He isn't terribly nerdy or anything...just kind of irrelevant. I would have also not made him a stalker. Again, I feel this puts him in "incredibly nerdy" territory. I would also have removed the pop-culture references. The FF movie references? Gone. The "Goo Goo Dolls"? Gone. Why did he have to say YouTube? Why not just say "This is so going on the Internet". Things like that just date your book. If I am going to tackle such a universal premise...I would want it to be timeless. I would want it to be just as good years down the line and unfortunately the heavy reliance on pop-culture in the book make that very difficult. I would have also removed the flying guy in the beginning. I don't want there to be other superheroes in the future. That is not the story I want to read. Why not just remove that and tell the intimate story of one average (read: ordinary) kid, who wanted to be extraordinary?

There are tons of other stuff, but BSG is starting soon and so that is all I could think of off the top of my head.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 pm

that was more than adequate, thanks for the response.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:that was more than adequate, thanks for the response.

Not a problem.

And again, that isn't the book that is being written. That is fine. I just brought it up because I wanted people to understand where I was coming from when I reviewed the book. For me, it is hard to divorce what is in my head with what is on the page. It is my problem to deal with, but I just felt it would help explain the lens through which I viewed the book, you know?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:49 am

Lecko is just pissed because Millar said he based the character on....

Lecko.

*runs*
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:03 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Lecko is just pissed because Millar said he based the character on....

Lecko.

*runs*

:oops:

I WASN'T STALKING HIM!!!! IT WAS JUST A BUNCH OF COINCIDENCES THAT WE HAPPENED TO BE IN THAT BATHROOM STALL TOGETHER!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:34 am

I spent my Saturday re-reading All-Star Superman #1-10. For my money, this is the best 10 issues of any superhero book to be released in the five years I have been collecting comics. It is also probably some of the best Superman stories ever to be told. I can't wait for the last two issues to come out so I can read the complete story in one sitting.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby StarchildAD on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

It IS the best superman stories ever told, hehe
StarchildAD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DennisMM on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:09 pm

Agh. I forgot to pick up #10. Thanks for the reminders, everyone.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby unikrunk on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:15 pm

Good to see zoners chewin’ ta fat on da funny books, warms my heart…

Some reviews fer yer asses!

Secret Invasion #1

Did not think I was going to like this very much; my expectations were low. Seemed a decent little event type deal, with no real bearing on the cool shit Marvel has been tossing about of late.

Now, maybe it was the aforementioned lack of enthusiasm, but I loved this comic. Totally dug the fuck out of it. Now, that is not to say it’s the best comic I have ever read (I am still struggling with DT: LRH#2 on this point), but the ride was fun as fucking hell, and the reveals and ending were awesome. I certainly won’t be purchasing all the tie-ins, but count me in for at least two more ish’s.

Overall, 8 out of 10 thumbs up.

Logan #2
Okay, I dug the crap out this as well. There was some pretty wicked shit going down here, and the ass-kickery was turned up to 11. Looked pretty too.

Survey says: 7.5 out of 10 thumbs up

Kick-Ass #2

Good shit; this comic is off to a great start. I am picking up what Lecko has been laying down regarding the pre-launch talk with the end product, and see where he is coming from; luckily I knew nothing of this book (I think) until I saw it at work, and snatched it up.

I like our “heroâ€
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby StarchildAD on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 pm

Walking Dead #48

Um... Am I the only one here reading this title? Come on! Last issue was bloody insane let alone this whole story arc. Talk about your "holy fuck" moments!
StarchildAD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:47 pm

i was reading the monthlies, but got fed up with the inane dialog of the tedious issues about 3-4months ago, and subsequently dropped it...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:08 pm

My friend buys The Walking Dead in trade and I borrow them from him. Overall, I love the concept and some of the bold strokes, but I think the pacing and dialogue are at times unreadably terrible. That, and there are 17 characters I can't tell apart.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Vicar on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks to Lecko's pimping of The Umbrella Academy, I've sent for all six issues from TFAW... watching the mailbox now....

The Walking Dead is next.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:54 pm

StarchildAD wrote:Walking Dead #48

Um... Am I the only one here reading this title? Come on! Last issue was bloody insane let alone this whole story arc. Talk about your "holy fuck" moments!

I commented on it briefly in the Walking Dead thread. Pretty bold turn.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm rather excited about digging into this (Walking Dead) - could use some good reading material.....
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:06 pm

I just ordered vol. 1 through interlibrary loan. I keep forgetting to check the Colorado cooperative for titles I'd like to try out. I should make a list.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Countdown 2 / Countdown 1

Countdown 2 has its problems, but Olsen turning into Godzilla is not counted among them. Nor is Orion's coup de grace on old Siedy. Getting punched in the face with your own heart is pretty brutal.

Countdown 1 is a nice breather, but the Monitoring the Monitors thing was a bit too silly for me. The saving grace of this book is Piper, IMO. His return and pledge gave me Goosebumps, which is no mean feat for some third rate Flash rogue. Things are set for Final Crisis and Trinity, and I can't wait.

JLA #20

Meh. Flash has not been spending enough quality time with the league, and, um, blah. I hate these filler stories. The HIVE? Come on. Come on.

Tangent: Superman's Reign #1 / #2

Fricken sweet-ass elseworlds type fantasticness. I love all the new takes on the characters, and the story is great. Looks fucking terrific as well.

Titans East Special

Okay, I got this because Titans #1 started out as the second part of the Titans East Special - why DC did this I can not imagine, it pretty ALF. So, anyway, I pick this up thinking it will shine a little more light on the Titans #1...nope. A bunch of people get killed. The end.

the Brave and the Bold #12

Pretty cool, nice stock, a well made book. Lots of heroes and silly fake-science stuff. I like it.

Hulk #3

Pretty neat, but not feeling the heart of the story yet. Still, nice to look at. The green guy showing up was pretty cool.

Hulk vs. Hercules - One-Shot

Sweet. The include of Tales to Astonish #79, "The Titan and the Torment fucking ruled.

The Incredible Hercules #116

Absolutely bad-ass. This series in holding my #1 spot right now. Go get it.

Thor #8

Brilliant. Pencils, inks and story all come together perfectly here, delivering a classic comic reading experience.

Star Trek Year Four: Enterprise Experiment Part 1

Wow, that is a long fucking title. I purchased this because the cover had Kirk and my favorite ST character, Arex, stiking a pose. That was the only good thing about it, in the end.

Cthulhu Tales #1

Fucking lame.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:41 pm

Hey, KRUNK!

You never read your PMs. Ya want my Tangent comics?
DennisMM

Postby unikrunk on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:18 am

DennisMM wrote:Hey, KRUNK!

You never read your PMs. Ya want my Tangent comics?

Damn, I meant to, that's why I changed my sig; as a reminder to check PMs. Sorry Den!!! :oops:

That would be awesome; I will get with you on PM. Seriously. :)
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:59 pm

What a dick.
The Vicar

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:03 pm

unicock.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Its one sentence (or word) review time, kids! Who wants to drink out of the fire hose?!?!?!

Thor - Ages of Thunder - one-shot

Fucking brilliant.

DC Universe 0

50 cents for this much awesome?

JLA Classified #37 - Wildcat

Badass, except the cat-bike.

Cable #3

Okay, enough with the Bishop shit lets get down to some real ass-kickery, folks.

Logan #3 (of 3)

Pretty neat, great pencils and inks, fun and slightly fuckled events.

Dark Tower - The Long Road Home #3

Fuck yes.

Abe Sapien - The Drowning #4

Wha?

The War that Time Forgot #1

Pretty silly and fucking rad at the same time.

The Twelve #1 - #2 - #3

I am sold on this shit.

GL #30

Now I get it, well done chaps.

Wolverine - First Class #1 - #2

Fun.

Rann-Thanagar Holy War #1

Mmmmmokay.

Transformers - Official Movie Sequel #1

Why?

The Mighty Thor - The Eternals Saga TPB vol 1 - vol 2

Fun, but drags here and there.

Nightcrawler - The Devil Inside - TPB

Sweet.

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY STUFF

X-Men

Neat.

EC Sampler

Fun, but after a while the use of ellipsis and exclamation points is considerably distracting, as no other punctuation is utilized what so ever; it’s all ... and !!!.

The Incredible Hulk - Iron Man

Good kid's comic.

Iron Man & Hulk & Spiderman

Please see above.

Tiny Titans #1

Fun.

Comic Book Diner (Sky Dog Publishing)

ALF.

Amelia Rules

Lame.

Owly and Friends

Toilet paper.

Gumby

Stupid.

Hero By Night (Platinum Studios Comics)

Okay.

Shonen Jump

I hate Manga.

Ignatz (Fantagraphics)

Great indie book.

The Moth (Rude Dude Productions)

Holy fuck is this horrid.

Worlds of Aspen

Nice sampler.

Gekiga! (D&Q)

Great.

Imaginary (Radical Comics)

Trying to forget it.

Maintenance (oni press)

Cool.

Dan Dare (Virgin Comics)

Sweet-tits city.

Transformers Animated (IDW)

Meh.

Drafted (DDP)

Fucking awesome.

Graphic Classics

Terrific.

Cartoona Palooza (Ape Entertainment)

Fun, fun, fun.

Arcana Presents

A good reminder to not buy books published by Arcana.

Broken Trinity - Prelude (Top Cow Universe)

Waste of time.

Salem - Queen of Thorns

Cool.

Atomic Robo / Neozoic

Atomic Robo would be cool, if it had not been done already as Hellboy; Neozoic was stupid.

Hellboy

Awesome new tales of our fave demon with identity crisis.

Well, that's it for now, fucko's.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am

Your weekly dose of unikrunk's fuckled take on funny books has arrived.

Let's get it on.

The Twelve #5

Like where this story is going, well thought out and executed. The Witness looks like a fucking goon, which is perfect. The Laughing Mask/Frowning Mask bit was great.

Batman #676

This is my jumping on point; followed a little of the #666 Damian stuff. First issue of RIP; prognosis positive.

Batman Confidential #17

Fun, sorta, but ultimately not worth the ride. Great, Batgirl is getting naked. Huzzah. :roll:

Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #1 (of 3)

Well drawn, but the story is boring as fuck.

Dead of Night #4

Great close to the Man-Thing arc. Pitch-perfect EC style sweetness with nudity and cursing? Fan-fucking-tastic.

GL Corps #24

Whoa. Okay, the Black Mercy thing has been played to death, but the orbiting mass of dead things? Holee Fuck. Nasty and awesome. Well done DC dudes.

BPRD: 1946 #5

Terrific close to the best BPRD story so far, IMO. Just wish Mignola would get back in the pencils once in a while...ah, cest la vie.

X-Men Origins: Colossus

Perfect.

TOR #1

Gadamn this is good. It's just so much fun. Like the loose pencils and inks, really lends itself to this type of story.

Wolverine The Amazing Man - and other Bloody Tales - (one-shot)

Boooooring.

Secret Invasion #2

Fairly good, but I was kinda expecting more.

Hulk vs. Fin Fang Foom (one-shot)

The only good thing about this book is the include of the first Fin Fang Foom story, a political propaganda piece against Red China.

The Mighty Avengers #13

Jumping on here, like what I see so far.

Guardians of the Galaxy #1

This looked like it was going to be a bag of fun, and really was not. Confusing-ass panels and cluttered dialogue make for an unsatisfying read.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu May 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Oh man I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was as awesome as Hell on a Hot Summer Saturday Night. One of the best "character" books out there right now.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby instant_karma on Fri May 16, 2008 11:11 am

Just flicked through the first few issues of The Twelve at the comic book store. Will definately be picking this up when it hits tpb.

I'm curious if this book was deliberately released while Captain America was in limbo so that Straczynski wouldn't feel compelled to have him check in with his fellow WW2 herosicles or if he would've liked to have Cap in there but couldn't.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby unikrunk on Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Oh man I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was as awesome as Hell on a Hot Summer Saturday Night. One of the best "character" books out there right now.

I am going to give it another run; I was pretty tired when I read it, so my first impression could be way off.

If teh Burl likes it, it's probably worth a shot.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun May 18, 2008 4:06 am

A few "reviews." I know you all missed them. :wink:

Batman #676 - The big Batman storyline from the mind of Morrison begins here. So, what is there to say? Tony Daniels' art just keeps improving. He is at the top of his game here. The story itself is very much an opening chapter. A brief introduction to the villains and enough plot to move the story forward. And how CRAZY have they made the Joker? Yikes! 4/5 (a decent story with excellent art)

Booster Gold #9 - The main reason I enjoy this new Booster Gold series is because it really isn't your standard DC book. It occupies a unique space in the DCU. It is the same reason I dig books like Blue Beetle, All-New Atom, and Manhunter. Johns and Katz have woven a compelling story with menacing villains. Personally, I love that DC is taking advantage of its rich universe to tell different kinds of stories. 4/5

DMZ #31 - Another solid issue. Wood has created such a thriving universe and as such the possibilities are almost endless. This arc is going to heat up next issue if the last page is any indication. DMZ and Fables are the beating heart of creator-owned Vertigo work at the moment. 4/5

Goon #24 - This issue contains two stories. The first story is from Eric Powell and it ties into the greater mythology of the Goon's universe. The second story is basically a back-up adventure where the Goon has to close a portal to hell that some of the neighborhood boys opened up. It is interesting stuff, but I want to get back into the meat of the main story. 3.5/5

Titans #2 - Judd Winnick is such a polarizing figure in comics it is almost hard to comprehend. There is so much venom sent his way, but he is consistently given work. It seems almost counterintuitive, but apparently his books sell despite the constant Internet flaming. And then, in what seemed like a perfect storm, DC announced that the notorious Judd Winnick was re-uniting the fan favorite Titans. Each review of Titans #1 included some sort of qualifier about where the reviewer "stood" on the Winnick debate. In many ways, the name attached to the book became the issue as opposed to, well the issue itself. Me, well I am perfectly indifferent about Winnick. That being said, I found issue #1 to be almost overbearingly average. The second issue is more of the same. But I honestly don't think that matters. Even if it were stellar, those that despise Winnick (and they are legion) wouldn't be swayed. I am more convinced than ever that Judd Winnick's particular brand of writing is much better suited for the Marvel U. However, it doesn't look like anyone at DC agrees. 2.5/5

Transhuman #2 - Hickman is really having fun with this title. It shows. His nods last issue to the X-Men are followed up with nods to WE3. A very interesting book, but not for everyone. I think perhaps 4 issues is a bit too much. A three issue mini or probably a graphic novel would have been a better choice for this story. Still excellent though. Hickman and Wood are two of the more intriguing voices in comics today. 4/5

Walking Dead #49 - Whoa! Kirkman is a cruel Struggling Background Artist. After EVERYTHING he did to his WHOLE cast last issue he pulls away from the mayhem and delivers a much needed small, intimate story. Ironically, this story packs an even BIGGER punch than the crazy issues that proceeded it. A change in the status quo INDEED! 4.5/5

Wonder Woman #20 - The debut of penciler Aaron Lopesti (sp?) is a welcome one. That dude can draw. The story is interesting and includes a mighty strange team-up. Still, I find myself waiting for Gail to blow me away. She has it in her I just haven't seen it yet. 3/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 18, 2008 4:24 am

Anna Mercury - Is anyone reading this? I picked up #1 and was very disappointed. Like so many of the Avatar books, the art is mediocre at best. Yet Ellis always trumpets these never-will-bes as if they were on the level of such collaborators as John Cassaday and Bryan Hitch. I found Anna and her electromagnetic dildo a bit hard to take. The last page reveal showed yet another instance of Ellis stealing from himself. *sigh*

Finish Planetary, you ass! And get Desolation Jones rolling again, now that newuniversal is in progress as a series of miniseries. And tell Templesmith he's done promoting the movie and needs to draw some Fell!

I'll try to contribute here again - or from now on, whichever.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 21, 2008 11:23 pm

Quick reviews!

Brave and the Bold #13 - THIS is what I signed up for. The first 12 issues of this book included "team-ups" but it also had an overarching storyline. This issue, turns the focus to one-and-done team-ups. Seeing Batman and Jay Garrick side by side was absolute perfection. Wonderfully executed and skillfully drawn. If you are into self-contained, kind of whacky stories in the DCU pick up this issue. It is worth it. 4.5/5

JLA #21 - Poor Dwayne McDuffie. He was stuck with a lot of threads when he took over from Meltzer and then he ran into Countdown and now he has to provide a prelude to DC's next event Final Crisis. Basically, there is a 9 page conversation with the Trinity, a quick dust up with the Human Flame and Libra shows up and introduces us to the new Society of Villains. Pretty dull, but the writing has some snap to it. I really hope DC allows McDuffie to tell HIS stories now. Let the man craft some threads of his own! 3.5/5

JSA #15 - This issue kind of breezes by. A confrontation with Gog, which provides for some nice little character moments followed by the introduction of giant size Gog. I love the Johns corner of the DC universe and JSA is an enormous part of that. My only complaint is that the ranks are too vast. Thin those out a bit and I'd be one happy camper. 4/5

Scalped #17 - Jason Aaron continues to impress. He expertly weaves between the loud, outrageous moments and the quiet, intimate moments. This issue was almost devoid of dialogue. It was almost all art, which isn't a bad thing. Vertigo has a real winner with this title. A worthy successor to Y and Fables. 4.5/5

Book of the Week: Brave and the Bold #13
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 30, 2008 12:00 am

Reviews for May 29th, 2008!

DC

Action Comics #865 - Superman has an interesting rogues gallery. Luthor is up there as one of the best arch villains of all time, but he shares space with The Prankster and the Toymaker in Superman's stable of rogues. In this issue, Johns decides to focus on the original Toymaker in a one-shot where Superman barely makes an appearance (in fact, Batman has more face time). Still, it is a wonderful issue that serves to elevate the Toymaker in Superman's pantheon of rogues. Sure, he is silly but he is also sick. I would just love to see Johns play in the DCU forever. I want him to touch upon every single character because I feel he has this rare ability to connect with the raw core of every member of the DCU. It is uncanny. 3.5/5

All-Star Superman #11 - The penultimate chapter of Morrison/Quitely's opus lives up to the high quality of those that came before it. My only complaint is that as I reached the end of the issue I was reminded that the next issue is the last. Regardless, I consider myself privileged to have been with this book from the beginning. This will go down as a modern masterpiece and I would like to personally thank Morrison and Quitely for reminding me exactly why I consider Superman to be my favorite superhero. 5/5

Batman #677 - My heavens. This issue is startling at every turn of the page. I can scarcely remember an issue so jam packed with information. Morrison has been promising that this storyline with shake the Batman mythos to its core and after this issue I tend to believe him. This is just insane. 4.5/5

Blue Beetle #27 - I have very little faith that Blue Beetle will last much longer and quite frankly that is unfortunate. These first issues post Rogers prove that Jamie is a viable character. Even when the issue are the best, Jamie is still an interesting addition to the DCU. At the very least, I hope Jamie lives on in the Teen Titans and in other books. Make no mistake this a dying book, but the character deserves to live on. 3/5

Fables #73 - The war is here. Honestly, I am a bit wary of this whole thing. This is what the book has been building to for 72 issues. How could it ever live up to the expectations? It reminds me of all of the folks clamoring for an answer to the Y: The Last Man virus. It is so difficult to create something fresh when your fans have spent years creating their own versions in the heads. Still, this first issue sets up some interesting developments and leaves on a pretty daunting cliffhanger. However, the length of the arc (only three issues after that MASSIVE flycatcher story? Priorities anyone?) has me worried. At one point, this was neck and neck with Y: The Last Man in terms of quality. Lets up this arc moves Fables back to that terrain. 3.5/5

Final Crisis #1 - The anticipation for this first issue to arrive has been tough to bear. I tore open the first page and was ready to take in every panel. A strange thing happened though, this wasn't really the book I was so highly anticipating. But I still fucking loved it. I believe it was the reviewed at CBR he commented that it was "a superhero police procedural." This accurately describes an ASPECT of the story, but honestly the story is way to vast to describe properly. This story is going to be enormous and I simply can't wait to see what Morrison has in store for us. JG Jones provides stellar art, but his Superman as John Cena sticks out like a fucking sore thumb. His approach needs to change in that regard or Morrison needs to hold off on Superman close-ups in the future because that was quite jarring. 4/5

Green Lantern #31 - The "new" (re: secret) origin of the Green Lantern has some serious flaws. The first being, simply, that Johns is going out of his way to tie EVERYTHING together. I mean, Hal running into Jon Stewart in a bar fight? Hank kind of dating Carol Ferris and discovering the Abin Sur wreckage. I understand the wider appeal to connecting the GL universe, but quite frankly it all looks a bit TOO neatly tied at this point. Still, Johns completely gets Hal and what makes him tick. Furthermore, Reis just kills on art. I just can't wait for the origin to get out of the way so the real stuff can press forward. 3.5/5

Teen Titans #59 - McKeever is absolutely in his element here. He writes Blue Beetle as well as anybody has. Particularly because he writes him akin to Spidey, which is how it should be. The book is definitely heating up. I love the Terror Titans and everything McKeever is creating here. 3.5/5

Marvel

Giant Size Astonishing X-Men #1 - It is truly the end of an era. Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's run comes to a close the same day that Morrison and Quitely's penultimate issue of All-Star Supes is released. To be honest, I hold those two runs to be the flagship runs for both companies at the moment. The bottom line: If you haven't read it, read it. If you HAVE been reading it, get ready. It is everything we have come to expect and it is brilliant. It even pivots toward modern Marvel continuity. 5/5

Fear not true believers, more reviews to come!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby hackett on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:19 pm

I read Robin this morning. I don't get the left field-ness of the storyline with Spoiler.
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Great reviews, as always. Wished they'd release All Star Supes part 2 collection a bit faster then January 2009. Also wonder when the Torn/Unstoppable arc hardcover comes out. Been waiting for that for ages and now that Astonishing is finally completed me wants it badly!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Re: Comic Book Reviews

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:07 pm

For the first time in the brand spankin' new Zone:

REVIEWS!

DC

Detective Comics #845 - For the longest time, Batman was the hardcore dick he is being portrayed as in All-Star Batman & Robin. DC, as of late, has sought to change that portrayal. In the BATMAN title, Grant Morrisson is tearing down the character to his very core. In this title, Detective Comics, Batman is actually DETECTING things. In my opinion, this is a welcome change. Batman can be "darker" than Superman or Wonder Woman, but he should always be a hero. Thankfully, DC recruited Dini to handle the "detecting" aspect of the character and he most assuredly understands that part of Batman. I mean, in this issue, we get one of the funniest scenes of the week depicting Batman, The Riddler, Detective Chimp, and others all using an on-line detective chat room. It is uproariously funny. While the actual mystery is a bit light, the character moments are where the issue really shines. Finally, Dini proves once again that he is superb at writing the female characters in the Batman universe. He created Harley Quinn, he wrote a magnificent Zatanna, and now we can add Catwoman to the mix. 3.5/5

JSA #16 - Despite an ever growing cast, in this issue of JSA Johns shines a bit of a spotlight on DAMAGE. It is makes for a wonderful payoff at the end, but I still question the decision to expand the group as much as they have. At times, I find myself a bit confused in regards to "who is who." I want to like these characters, but I just don't really know them. Still, the emergence of GOG is pretty crazy. And as I say, the moment at the end with DAMAGE is pretty special. 4/5

Manhunter #31 - I admit that I have never read an issue of Manhunter before now. I decided to pick this issue up because, quite frankly, I find it fascinating that this title has been resurrected so many times. This thing has nine lives and I came to the decision that I needed to give it a shot. Thankfully, this first issue contains a two-page recap that is helpful to new readers. Honestly, I was pretty impressed. It isn't All-Star Superman, but it does have a certain quality that sets it apart from other DC books. If you are looking for something new to check out, I strongly suggest giving this book a try. It couldn't hurt. 3.5/5

Trinity #1 - Weekly, on-going series take three. That's right, it is time once again for a weekly year long book from DC. The big question, in my mind, is how does this series separate itself from its two predecessors. The answer, is in many, many ways. For one, the whole project is being written by Kurt Busiek and drawn by Mark Bagley. One creative team, 52 issues. Second, there are back-up stories handled by another writer with a rotating team or artists. Finally, this series focused on the big three and is self-contained. Basically, it is everything I want from a weekly. After reading the first issue, I couldn't be more excited to see where this is all going. 52 was a success, but only upon completion. Countdown was a train wreck week to week, could Trinity be the winning formula? It is way too early to tell, but things sure got off to a good start. 4/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:12 am

What in the flying fuck is happening in Fantastic Four??!?@ Mark Millar is either doing something really brilliant, or really damaging. The first arc was a little meh, and the new "Death of the Invisible Woman" arc gets off to an explosive but WTF kind of start. I mean seriously, the building is attacked and Sue tells the kids and their new nanny she will be a minute while she goes to talk with She-Hulk and Wasp about some charity? A mom like that deserves to die. And I LOVE SUE.

Also, where the fuck in continuity does this exist? We have a Last Defenders mini on the stands now, which is pretty intriguing, and then in this we get the New Defenders!!?@ And then the Hulk as Banner-Hulk from the 80s? With glasses no less? Um...
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:40 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:What in the flying fuck is happening in Fantastic Four??!?@ Mark Millar is either doing something really brilliant, or really damaging. The first arc was a little meh, and the new "Death of the Invisible Woman" arc gets off to an explosive but WTF kind of start. I mean seriously, the building is attacked and Sue tells the kids and their new nanny she will be a minute while she goes to talk with She-Hulk and Wasp about some charity? A mom like that deserves to die. And I LOVE SUE.

Also, where the fuck in continuity does this exist? We have a Last Defenders mini on the stands now, which is pretty intriguing, and then in this we get the New Defenders!!?@ And then the Hulk as Banner-Hulk from the 80s? With glasses no less? Um...

Dropped FF after Millar's first arc. The influx of Millar material has pretty much opened my eyes to the fact that I do not like his writing. Superman: Red Son is pretty much the high point, IMO. Everything else is overhyped mediocrity.

Quick Hits:

Birds of Prey #119 - Bedard can write well, as long as there is no COUNTDOWN in the title. Love the new digs and the strengthening of the BoP rogue's gallery.

Brave and Bold #14 - Part 1 of a two part arc. Scott Kolins does an excellent job on the art. I adore this title. Can't wait for JMS to take over.

Final Crisis #2 - Whoa! I am so on board with this. It is strange and jarring, but heaven help me...I dig it. I wonder if there will be some significant ramifications after the big explosion in this issue. RUN! Classic.

Green Lantern #32 - I really, really, really, want to move on from this Secret Origin stuff. Knowing that something HUGE is looming has me so anxious. Blackest Night, FTW!

Superman #677 - Wow. I was so jazzed for this issue and was so thoroughly disappointed. On the positive side, the art and coloring were fantastic. Really solid stuff. The Krypto narration was cool, but the dialogue between Hal and Supes was TERRIBLE. Robinson wrote Supes so out of character it was unbearable. And the rest of the issue focused on a bunch of people I could absolutely care less about. Almost a complete and utter failure.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:57 pm

I was kind of "who cares" about Atlas. And what the hell is Superman the Sue Storm of the DC Universe? He's off playing fetch in space with Krypto while a giant robot destroys his home? Lame.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:07 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I was kind of "who cares" about Atlas. And what the hell is Superman the Sue Storm of the DC Universe? He's off playing fetch in space with Krypto while a giant robot destroys his home? Lame.

I know right. He didn't "hear" the death, destruction, and general mayhem but the moment someone utters "Superman" out loud he pays attention. Robinson's Superman is a dick. I REALLY hope that improves.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:20 am

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:45 am

Nice one burl. I loved the old incarnation of that site, and I just laugh my head off. Some particular gems on the new site that I havent seen before.

This one about batman and jokers competing boners had me on the floor. Amazingly ludricous, and I cant stop cracking up laughing about it.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:44 am

Bah! Superdickery aside, Robinson's Superman is still totally off at the moment.

Despite a lengthy absence, REVIEWS!!!!

Batman #678 - Like most of Morrison's work, this is NOT an accessible issue for new comers. This issue (and arc really) is designed for readers who have a working knowledge of continuity, have been following Morrison's Batman run closely and are not afraid to refer to Wikipedia or message boards to clarify things (like Batmite and the Batman from another planet). But if you ARE that type of reader, this issue pays off in spades. If you ARE that type of reader this is an epic story that continues to deliver the goods. Even more than Final Crisis, this is the DC event of the year. Also, Tony Daniels is absolutely knocking it out of the park art wise. Wow! 4.5/5

Blue Beetle #28 - I really hope DC recognizes what an absolutely dynamite character they have in Jamie Reyes. Despite numerous changes in the creative team he continues to shine. Every appearance has made in other titles (including one this week in Manhunter) has been outstanding. Writers, it seems, love to write him. Perhaps it is because they realize how much potential he has. He really could be the Spidey of the DCU, but make that role completely his own. 28 issues and still going strong. Bring on Matt Sturges! 4/5

Manhunter #32 - For the longest time, critics and message boards have been abuzz about Manhunter. Throughout that time I chose to ignore the chatter. With the recent restart I decided to jump onboard blind and see where I landed. Hot damn do I feel like a fool. If this is what the series has been like from the start I want every damn back issue. It helps that Blue Beetle makes an excellent appearance, but really this book stands above the rest regardless. A truly unique book in the stables of the DCU. 4/5

Supergirl #31 - I. Love. Supergirl. I am not afraid to admit it. In fact, lately, I have been loving most of the female characters in the DCU. Manhunter. Wonder Woman. Supergirl. Birds of Prey. All wonderfully written titles. News of the new creative team has me pumped. This issue was solid, but the art bugged me. 3/5

Trinity #5 - Things are looking up. This wasn't what I had expected, but I am still interested and am excited to see where the creative team are taking this title. 3/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:41 am

Review time! Holla at cha boy!

Action Comics #867 - Summary: Kara, apparently, has post-traumatic stress, Supes gives his dad an early Father's Day gift and then goes looking for Brainiac. Review: Part 2 of Geoff Johns Brainiac arc doesn't have the same punch as the previous issue. More and more I am noticing how Johns writes primarily for the trade. The Legion of Super Heroes arc was ultimately satisfying but it took 3 or 4 issues to really shine. I have no doubt that Johns will deliver the goods, but frankly I wish that each issue would have more substance. So now I am left with that awful feeling that I just spent $2.99 for part 2 of a larger story that has little value without the remaining parts. And that is a pretty ugly feeling. Mad props to Gary Frank. He was born to draw Superman for Geoff Johns the same way EVS + Ivan Reis were born to draw GL for Geoff and Scott Kolins was born to draw Flash for Geoff Johns. 3/5

JSA #17 - Summary: Gog continues to heal and do god-like things while Damage flashes his new hottie face, dr. midnite and mr. terrific discuss faith and Power Girl is sent home. Review: There is no "action" in this issue whatsoever. It is, once again, heroes talking at Gog who in turn responds by healing more people. For whatever reason, Johns seems to have lost his concept of pacing. I talked about Action above and JSA is afflicted as well. Don't get me wrong, I love the character moments that Johns feels the need to include but sometimes you need to progress and that has been lacking for two issues. Johns misses twice this week. 3/5

Wonder Woman #22 - Summary: Diana has some prophetic dreams, red eye gets a name, and the devil is confronted. Review: A third swing and a miss this week for DC. Gail Simone is one of my favorite writers in the industry. All-New Atom was stellar and her BoP run is among one of the best of the decade. So why is she struggling so much to write a decent WW story? I am not entirely sure, but all I know is that her plots have been humdrum and her portrayal of Diana is askew. Furthermore, there really isn't much a supporting cast. None of the ancillary characters in the book matter to me at all. I mean BoP had Oracle, Huntress, Black Canary, Creote, Savant, Misfit, Lady Blackhawk...etc, All-New Atom had HEAD, Panda, and the circle of doctors. There is none of that in WW. I hold Gail to a high standard, to be sure, but I do not think that it is an unreasonable one. As it stands, her work on the title can't hold a candle to what Rucka did in his short run. Lets hope things change soon. 2.5/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:07 am

REVIEWS!!!! From a variety of weeks! Enjoy!!!

Blue Beetle #29 - After a few fill-in issues, finally the new "regular" writer takes over. Matthew Sturges takes over writing duties (even though my cover clearly indicates that ROGERS is still writing) and he does a masterful job. The issue of illegal immigration does come up (as the cover indicates) but it isn't preachy or anything like that. It just is a plot point, treated as any other plot point. Bottom line, my worries have been assuaged. If you read this title, you will love it. If you haven't tried it yet, well what the hell have you been waiting for! Pick this up and read the Spider-Man of the DC Universe! 4/5

Brave and the Bold #15 - As much as I prefer one-and-done stories (especially in a title such as this) I still rather enjoyed this two-parter by Waid and Scott Kolins. Basically, after the Green Arrow Deadman team-up...Boston Brand enlists Hawkman and Nightwing into a bit of a 4-way team-up in the end. Waid proves once more he has a firm handle on the many characters of the DCU and once again Nightwing is written better in an ancillary title than he is in his own title. This needs to remedied. Other than that, it is a solid romp through the DCU. Waid delivers the goods. 3.5/5

Buffy #17 - Having never read Fray (I know...lame) I had a real hard time following some of what was going on in this issue. For the first few pages I thought Fray was teaming up with Buffy and then...BLAM...Buffy actually shows up and I am all like..."Who the hell is that other Buffy?" Regardless, I still enjoyed myself because that is the masterful beauty of Joss Whedon. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had actually read Fray (which I may go back and do now that I have had an initial taste) but as it stands it was just pretty good with a predictable ending. 3/5

DMZ #33 - Brian Wood's DMZ has been one of my most pimped books on this board. I adore it. It has had some bumps in the road, almost all books do, but like the best books DMZ bounces back. This current arc is one of those bounces back. The rise of the Delgado Nation and the election has been such an interesting development. Hopefully, we will see more of what Trustwell is up too and also, I would like to see Matty go back to reporting...or at least struggle with his decisions a bit more. Still, solid stuff. One of Vertigo's best books. 4/5

Final Crisis #3 - I think Final Crisis #3 will win back a lot of the detractors. Not all of them, of course, but enough of them. I have spent a good deal of time lately re-reading FC #1 and 2, which made reading issue #3 that much more enjoyable. I honestly believe that once people have all of the issues in their hand and can read it as one whole story...even more minds will be changed. And that isn't an excuse. It is a legitimate complaint to say that the issues should have been more successful on their own. However, I dig what I have read thus far and each issue has undoubtedly been better than the one published before it. 4.5/5[u]

Green Lantern #33 - Secret Origin is a mixed bag for me. As usual, it is well written and the characterization is top notch. However, the interconnectedness of the GL universe strikes me as a bit off. Still, it is a fun ride. 4/5

JSA Annual #1 - Loved the Earth-2 universe. A nice twist. Solid artwork. [u]4/5

Alright I am getting lazy. I might post more later. Hope you enjoy!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:48 pm

I was genuinely disturbed by the last page of Final Crisis. Can't wait to see where this is heading.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:50 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I was genuinely disturbed by the last page of Final Crisis. Can't wait to see where this is heading.

Totally. I am so into this book it isn't even funny. For the first time in a while I thought out loud "How the heck are they going to get themselves out of THIS one?"

It was awesome.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books