Comic Book Reviews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: Comic Book Reviews

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:52 pm

I love Diana so much. It really bothered me alot that A) she would be treated as a vessel for such vast evil and B) that they would do that to her after. Really disturbing.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I love Diana so much. It really bothered me alot that A) she would be treated as a vessel for such vast evil and B) that they would do that to her after. Really disturbing.

You can bet that she is going to be pretty fucking pissed when this is all said and done. I can't wait to see her return to normal and fuck up Mary Marvel.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:I love Diana so much. It really bothered me alot that A) she would be treated as a vessel for such vast evil and B) that they would do that to her after. Really disturbing.

You can bet that she is going to be pretty fucking pissed when this is all said and done. I can't wait to see her return to normal and fuck up Mary Marvel.

Chick fight. I'm there.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Just finished reading the top three books on my pile. Some initial thoughts follow:

Action Comics #868 - This whole Brainiac arc has been pretty cool thus far. Problem is, with the name Geoff Johns comes certain expectations and given that we know he is capable of producing some AWESOME stories...pretty cool kind of comes off as a letdown. The art is still stellar. Gary Frank is no slouch. But what is the deal with Kara? She has been on earth for at LEAST two years. She went to High School for a day, went clubbing a few times, has generally lived in the world a while and yet she has never come across breast implants? I have a feeling this new Superman/Supergirl braintrust is just going to ignore everything involving Kara to date and just start fresh. May not be a bad idea, but lets call a spade a spade, you know? If that is how it is going to be...just say it. Overall, an above average issue.

Batman #679 - I just love Batman R.I.P. Seriously, I can't get enough of it. I have never been terribly fond of Batman, which may explain why I am not up in arms and screaming about Morrison raping my childhood. This issue is sufficiently bizarre, while offering more than a few answers. The art is excellent. If Morrison sticks the landing this will go down as one of the better Batman stories of the decade. Clearly, the character will not be the same for some time.

Final Crisis: Revelations #1 - Leading up to FC: Revelations, Greg Rucka would tell anyone willing to listen about how amazing Phillip Tan's art was. Now I can see why. This is an awesome issue. Solid writing and wonderful art. My only question is where it takes place in relation to Final Crisis proper. Martian Manhunter is dead, but The Question is in England and not getting nabbed by SHADE. So, my guess is sometime after issue 1 and before issue 3? Hopefully, answers will be forthcoming. However, for the time being I am just digging what is in front of me.

Goon #27 - This book contains three stories, only one of which is done by Eric Powell. Interesting, but also forgettable in the long run. Next month is back to the story proper. Can't wait for that.

Transhuman #3 - This has been, from the start, a very unique series. The premise and the presentation are far from common. That said, this is probably my favorite issue of the series to date. The final page was a nice twist and put a very interesting wrinkle in the story. Jonathan Hickman continues to be a rising talent in our little art form.

Wonder Woman #23 - By far, the best issue of the entire arc and quite possibly Gail's entire run. This was thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. I didn't think that this arc could be redeemed, but I was wrong. Kudos to Gail and Aaron.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Raziel on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Just finished Batman: The Long Halloween last night. Knew it inspired TDK, didn't realise stuff like the mob families were taken directy from it-not to mention lines of dialogue, etc. Very much enjoyed it, and have Arkham Asylum to read next!
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Holy shit! Reviews! Lots of em! (coming soon)

Green Lantern #34 - While it is true that this Secret Origin has gone on seemingly forever (and looking ahead, I see GL #35 is part 7...WOW!) it appears what is left of the arc is a direct lead-in to Blackest Night and that is alright by me. I still find it inexplicable that Hal Jordan's life has been so conveniently ret-conned. But there is no doubt that Johns has a firm grasp of Jordan and that tends to wash away any other concerns I may have. 4/5

Supergirl #33 - A throwaway issue if ever there was one. Supergirl will be experiencing a new creative team with the next issue and so what we get here is a story the does nothing to offend the status quo of the upcoming creative shift. Really very little reason for me to have bought and read this issue other than my love for Kara. 1/5

Final Crisis: Revelations #2 - I have, at this point, no doubt that the whole of Final Crisis will go down as a masterpiece of the event comic. The tie-ins are a major part of that. I can't say anything more other than I simply can't wait to see how it all ends. 4.5/5

Green Lantern Corps. #28 - A decent enough story that includes an ending that ties itself into Blackest Night. That is enough for me. 3/5

All-Star Superman #12 - And just like that, the greatest Superman story in more than a decade comes to an end. Is it satisfying? Yes. But I'll be damned if that final page doesn't get my mind racing with what the future holds. I hope the one-shot specials that were mentioned actually get made. I can't wait to sit down and read 1-12 all in one sitting. 5/5

Superman #680 - I love my dog. And your reaction to this issue will have a whole lot to do with your love of animals. This isn't a particularly GOOD story, but it does have a special resonance with animal lovers. 3/5

Action Comics #869 - Holy cow! The Brainiac story has REALLY started to heat up. I mean how WILL Superman get out of this one? Of course, we all know he will (and the solicitations prove that suspicion correct) but there is no doubt that this will have serious ramifications on Superman and his life. Kudos to Johns and Co. 4.5/5

Teen Titans #63 - I have no idea who Bombshell is. I have no idea if she is a friend or foe, but the evidence has mounted pretty heavily in favor of foe. This issue really needed to explain the background a bit more. Still, I was mildly entertained. 3/5

Batman #680 - Wow. DC REALLY dropped the ball in their solicits. It flat our ruined the end of this issue and the big reveal of the black glove. Why? Why in the world would they allow that to happen? And because of that, I can't fairly evaluate this issue. It is good, but it was building to an end I already knew was coming.

Supergirl #34 - OH! MY! F'N! GOD! I believe that All-Star Superman #12 and this issue were probably my two most anticipated issues to read. Neither disappointed. I love what Gates and Igle did in this issue. They established Kara and that rules. They established a supporting cast and that also rules. And they did it all in one issue, which in today's world of comics rules the most. As that hamster in BOLT put it: LET IT BEGIN!!!!!!!! 4/5

Green Lantern Corps. #29 -

Final Crisis: Revelations #3 -

Action Comics #870 - Johns had a difficult problem here. Everyone knew how this would end. He needed to make that still exhilarating. And, frankly, it was. But man DC needs to stop spoiling shit in their solicits. New Krypton Special flat out told us what was going to happen here. Again, lame.

Green Lantern #35 - And here comes part 7 of Secret Origin. It really is startling to think that this story has been going on for 7+ months. Still, I have the strong feeling that once all is said and done with Blackest Night that Secret Origin is going to read like a necessary prelude.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:10 am

X-Men Manifest Destiny #2 - I like this book, but the only thing I am really interested in is Iceman vs. Mystique. It's like Fatal Attraction with super powers, and for some reason Bobby has become such an empathetic character that I really hate to see him deal with this shit. So I am having fun and excited to see what they do to Iceman next.

X-Men Original Sin #1 - So Logan has a son that no one really cares for outside of the story, but at the heart of this was a nice reversal. Wolverine who has ALL his memories now confronts Prof X who doesn't remember a lot of what he has done. Interesting inversion, even if a so so story.

Action #870 - Superman is really firing on all cylinders right now. After last weeks awesomestest Krypto issue in Superman, we get the treat of Kal-El when he gets really really pushed too far. The end had me in tears... fuckers.

Detective Comics #849 - Hush is one sick fuck. I like him now.

Final Crisis Revelations #3 - I am digging this because I feel like I am getting more out of Final Crisis than the actual mini-series at this point. I really don't know who the nun is but it hasn't stopped my enjoyment of things so far. But I am an easy mark because I would like to see as much of the new Question as possible.

Green Lantern #35 - I really don't know enough about Green Lantern to know what's being retconned and what's not, but this was a good story. I especially liked Hal's confrontation with the Guardians and then trying to show off that he can face off against the color yellow.

Secret Six #2 - Whoa. Wait let me take a breath... WHOA. The book started off interestingly enough, but this issue had all kinds of fun. They should just make a comic about Batman and Catman trying to kill each other like Spy vs. Spy. Their face off was one of the most interesting I have seen in a long time with Catman not necessarily winning the day, but still somehow managing to let the wind out of Batman's mythos. Best line in a comic book this week "I HAD A BURRITO!" So funny for a multitude of reasons.

Trinity #19 - Love this world without the Trinity story. The writers obviously put a lot of thought into it, and it's fun seeing familiar supporting players are in this strange new world. And how audacious to have a weekly about the BIG THREE and then have a story line that is about them NOT ever existing. Really an interesting, fun read.

Wonder Woman #25 - Nice filler issue. Gail Simone is giving Diana so much life that I am willing to follow her anywhere. The whole "Wonder Woman" movie idea was used really well especially Diana's reaction to the content of the film.

Lone Ranger #14 - Hmph. I have followed closely, but I have no idea what is going on at this point. Time to go back and reread the couple of issues preceding this one just to figure out wtf is happening. This series started so promisingly, and there are still some moments of brilliance, but let's have less mess and more adventuring.

Walking Dead #53 - Ugh. So the gang is basically back together. Whatever. Just more scenes of Dale half nude please.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Man, Krypto rocks doesn't he Burl? The Super books really do seem expertly integrated. It is all pretty exciting.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:58 pm

I'll try and do a review of 'Superman: For All Seasons' tomorrow. Very interesting book.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Chilli wrote:I'll try and do a review of 'Superman: For All Seasons' tomorrow. Very interesting book.

I am a big fan on Superman: For All Seasons. Having the different narrators for each chapter was an excellent way to frame Supes. And Sale really captured that old school Action Comics feel.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:50 am

Sorry this is so late, but REVIEWS!

Blue Beetle #30 - 31: I am reviewing these two together because, well, I bought and read together. My affection for the newest Blue Beetle should be well known to the 2 or 3 of you that read these reviews. And given that recently my other favorite "new" hero, Ryan Choi, saw his book get a creative change that sunk the ship...I have been on edge each time the previews are released. Thankfully, Matt Sturges has done an admirable job as the new writer of Blue Beetle. I think, perhaps, a bit more time needs to be spent fleshing out Jamie's supporting cast (which is one of the better supporting casts in comics for my money!), but this arc has more than enough to get me excited for what is to come. Hopefully, they allow Sturges enough time to actually build towards something. 3.5/5

Final Crisis Legion of Three Worlds #2: I have often said that Final Crisis has, in my opinion, been one of the more interesting cross-over events since I began reading comics. Of all the tie-ins that have been released, this was the one I was most excited for and ironically enough it is the one that hasn't worked as well as the others. Mostly, this is due to the astronomical size of the cast. Still, it is interesting enough to hold my attention but considering how spectacular Revelations and Rogues' Revenge have been "holding my attention" just isn't cutting it. Bring the noise Johns! 3.5/5

Final Crisis Rogues' Revenge #3: The story told in this mini wasn't a tie-in to Final Crisis in the strictest sense. I mean, this story does not impact the plot of the main story, but there is a relationship between the two books. Truthfully, what we are seeing from all the top DC books is momentum. Final Crisis is about to cross the halfway mark next week, Flash: Rebirth is around the corner, New Krypton is set to begin, Blackest Night is looming ahead, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? is set to mark a new era for the Dark Knight...the list goes on. By the time I finally finished this story I found myself so entirely excited. DC, in my opinion, has the big MO! 4/5

JSA #19: I will be thrilled as can be when this who Gog/Magog storyline ends. It isn't that it is a bad story per se, but it just won't end! Knowing that Black Adam (who makes a brief appearance) is what's next makes the wait that much more difficult. The same criticisms leveled at past issues apply here: too big of a cast, not nearly enough action, etc. Lets get on with it already, eh GJ? 3/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:00 am

Superman/Batman #51 - You know, I find myself constantly wavering on whether or not there is a need for this title. I mean, we have two Superman titles, 2 Batman titles (not to mention the myriad of Bat family books) so do we REALLY need a book like Superman/Batman? And most of the time that answer is no, but there are very specific stories that can be told that justify a book like this. For example, the second annual. Stories that delve into WHY these two are the way they are and WHY there relationship is the way it is. This shouldn't be the backbone of the DC like it was under Loeb. It should be, in a way, like The Brave and the Bold. I bring this up because hot damn if this issue isn't exactly what I want to see from this title. Moreover, it is fun as all hell. I have yet to read the conclusion but I can safely say that the first issue is one of the more fun reads I have had in some time. Check it out. 4/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Reviews!!!

Final Crisis #4 - The first issue of FC to feature JG Jones + backup. Carlos Pacheco apparently helped out on this issue. And you could tell, which is unfortunate but not a fatal blow to the issue/series. Honestly, this issue is even more badass than the last. It is the end of days and the heroes have a call to arms. A hero steps up to make a sacrifice and a villain helps save the world. And in the end, a choice is made. So spectacular. 4.5/5

New Krypton Special - Whoa! This truly is a huge story! I mean all the heavy hitters make an appearance. I won't spoil the story, but the main theme running through is family. The loss of family. The return of family. It is a real emotional issue as well. However, I would have liked Gary Frank to have handled the entire issue. Still, this is a major issue with serious ramifications for Superman. 4/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Just had to pop in to recommend Amazing Spiderman 574. It's a done in one featuring Flash Thompson who after having been a PE Teacher at his old high school gets called to Iraq because he's in the reserve. This is an outstanding issue about bravery and where people find their inspiration in times of crisis. The issue ends with a hell of a surprise that changes Flash forever, but it was a cathartic read. I highly recommend picking it up.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:21 pm

Nice burl. I may have to check that out. I really think Guggenheim is becoming a really good comic book writer.

I have some quick reviews to add:

Blue Beetle #32 - I have had a healthy dose of Blue Beetle this week having read issues 30-32. And the thing I came away with is that this is one of the most consistent books that DC is publishing at the moment. I love that Sturges looks poised to set up Dr. Polaris as a major villain in Jamie's world. It just sucks reading each month waiting for the proverbial axe to fall. I will fucking riot when DC cancels this book. 4/5

Final Crisis: Submit - A really nice little story that leads up to the events of Final Crisis #4. Morrison really adds layers to Tattooed Man's character. 3.5/5

Scalped #20, 21, 22 - Jason Aaron's Scalped is the best book currently being published by Vertigo. Hands down. Issues #21 and 22 begin a new story line that, thus far, has been the best of the series. It is absolutely gut wrenching stuff. This series couldn't come more highly recommended. 5/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:47 pm

I really liked Final Crisis: Submit also. But I have to say... this whole event is really disturbing. Final Crisis #4 was incredibly dark. I am not sure I have ever read a mainstream superhero comic this nihilistic. I like it, but it leaves me so disturbed.

But I did wonder something... is Wonder Woman disfigured or is it just some crazy pig mask. I couldn't tell for sure.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:55 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I really liked Final Crisis: Submit also. But I have to say... this whole event is really disturbing. Final Crisis #4 was incredibly dark. I am not sure I have ever read a mainstream superhero comic this nihilistic. I like it, but it leaves me so disturbed.

But I did wonder something... is Wonder Woman disfigured or is it just some crazy pig mask. I couldn't tell for sure.

I totally get where you are coming from. Final Crisis #4 was really bleak. I was talking with Dennis about this the other day and I told him that I think Morrison is setting up for a terrible descent and a remarkable ascension. At least I hope so.

As for Wonder Woman, I am almost positive that it is a mask. So creepy.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:00 am

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks it's a mask. For some reason, disfiguring Diana is just to debase for even me, who likes debased shit.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:40 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I am glad I am not the only one who thinks it's a mask. For some reason, disfiguring Diana is just to debase for even me, who likes debased shit.

Can one debase shit? I mean, doesn't something have to have value to be debased?

Interesting.

As for the mask thing, it is interesting because I went back and read #3 and Wonder Woman is infected with something, but it is unclear what that disease does. We already saw in #4 that they are making human/animal hybrids. But I doubt they could do that to WW. But at this point, I am unclear on the whole thing. Leaning towards mask, though.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:26 am

Stay on target!

Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns - This is one of those tie-in's in name only. It really hasn't much, if anything to do with Final Crisis other than some off-hand remarks made by Hal in his internal monologue to the death of Orion. Basically, this is an introduction to the Red Lanterns and a prelude for what's to come in Green Lantern and the Blackest Night Saga. And by the way, it rocks. The amazing Shane Davis handles the art, which just shines throughout. We really need to see more of this cat. In terms of plot. a lot happens in this issue so GL fans should take note (as if you weren't already). I am loving Final Crisis and the fact that concurrent with that event we are also seeing a huge event in the Superman books, the introduction of the Milestone characters throughout DC, R.I.P., and the ramp up to Blackest Night...well it is enough to make me a happy DC fan. 4.5/5

Superman #681 - Wow! Talk about a last page! The surprises keep coming following the revelation at the end of the New Krypton special. Basically, in this issue the Kryptonians head to Metropolis, chaperoned by Superman, to meet the President when an unexpected visitor arrives. Without a doubt this was my favorite James Robinson issue of Superman. Everything felt right. Robinson hit some great emotional beats (that man knows how to utilize Krypto!), struck the right tone, and improved the pacing problems that seemed to plague his previous issues. Solid effort to what is looking to be a fun story. 4/5

Teen Titans #64 - In this issue, the Titans face off against Bombshell and employ some team work (for once!), also Wonder Girl spends quality time with dad. There are so many little things I love about McKeever's Teen Titans, but the overall product leaves something to be desired. Much of the problems I have with McDuffie's JLA apply to the Teen Titans. Namely, that they react to events in the DCU instead of being the impetus of events in the DCU. Over in JSA, Johns has free reign to create all of this action, drama, and momentum. On the flip side, DC hasn't really allowed McKeever or McDuffie to set their own agenda. They keep running into events like Final Crisis, or story lines already set in place (Titans of Tomorrow). I mean, really, lets give these guys some room to operate. Johns' Teen Titans has momentum. You could feel it. Lets get back to that. I have faith in McKeever. Oh, and there is an image of Blue Beetle freaking out in this issue, because Bombshell is going to stay at the Tower, and it absolutely cracks me up. Just saying. 3/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:04 am

I had to review this, though it's old, because it disgusts me on so many levels that I need to get out the bile. I seem to be in a small minority when it comes to disliking this comic, but I hated those installments of Saw and Hostel I could bear to watch. The comic is Crossed #1, by Garth Ennis and Jacen Burrows, published by Avatar.

Preacher was amazing at times. Hellblazer was surprising and fresh. The Punisher was entertaining and different from almost anything Marvel had published. Crossed is necroporn. It's one step up from jerking off to actual photos of mutilated bodies, from where I sit. It's an excuse for graphic violence and sexual abuse and not much more, that I can see. The zero issue dropped us right into the story, with people, often half-nude, attacking, killing and raping others for no clear reason. The ultraviolent have an odd rash on their faces in the shape of a cross, and they do nothing, nothing but kill and rape. Sometimes they rape new orifices they've cut or chewed into their victims.

In #1 we're following a small group of survivors of a Crossed attack on a diner, who've come together for whatever protection they can offer one another. In flashback we see a Crossed woman with a knife in her back crawling after three survivors when she's pinned to the ground by the tire of a large pickup truck. As the truck peels out the woman, with her internals organs spilling under the tire, moans, "Jesus I'm fucking comin." (sic) But that's not the worst of it.

The climax of the story involves a mother, father and daughter who, the father is convinced, will the safe from the Crossed if they are protected by salt. Salt, he says, kills them. The mother breaks her ankle and pleads for the father to shoot her, take the girl, and flee. A group of the Crossed approaches. The father pours a ring of salt around them, convinced the maniacs will not be able to step over the line. The Crossed look down. the father sweats.

Turn the page and we're faced with a two-page spread of roughly ten Crossed laughing as they brutalize the family. The parents are both on hands and knees, impossibly conscious and aware, as they are raped from behind. The father's intestines are on the ground as he looks over his shoulder at the man who is cornholing him. The mother, her brain seemingly exposed, is cursing the father for his idiocy as a grinning lunatic takes her. Worst of all, two Crossed are holding the little girl by hands and ankles as a third cuts her from crotch to shoulder with a meat cleaver.

This is not drama. This is not entertainment of any kind that I recognize. This is carnage for its own sake. I can't even rate this. I'm sick just looking at it. Perhaps I'll shred it.
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:12 am

I am not sure where Garth Ennis' appeal lies anymore. His Punisher was engaging most of the time, but all of his recent independent offerings have been self-indulgent messes if you ask me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:19 am

Well here's an interview with Ennis and penciller Jacen Burrows that might possibly explain some of what you read. I'm about to download it (if it's as shameless as you say, I doubt I'll feel too guilty), but from that interview I got a sort of 21st Century Dante vibe. People have always been fascinated with dystopia. In the Middle Ages, we took that obsession to a level which bordered on sadism. Why else would we conjur up the most awful visions of Hell in our dreams? Ennis said he got this idea from a dream.

Also, I'm always dubious about why people who are so disgusted about something go into such graphic detail in describing it...

Anyway, I'll get back here after I'm finished.

EDIT: OK, I finished it. What Dennis described were about 3 panels out of the whole 24 page comic. The VAST majority of it is 28 Days Later-style survivor talk. The characters are all hunkering down in a cave, having the usual "It ain't like it is in the movies" sort of conversation. I think Jacen's artwork was pretty great; in fact, perhaps too good for Ennis' slightly forgettable characters. I read this comic 2 minutes ago and I can't remember any of their names...which either means I should get an Alzheimer's check-up, or they weren't really that brilliantly written to begin with.

Now down to the controversial parts.

1)The raving woman with a knife in her back getting ran over. I'm guessing the thing that distinguishes Ennis' Crossed people from zombies is that the Crossed still seem relatively human, albeit humans with nasty tourette's and devoid of all morals whatsoever. It's actually not a bad spin on the Zombie theme. Instead of the enemy being some nameless horror, they're human enough to make the reader feel almost responsible for their actions; as if there's some dark decay lurking inside every one of us which, in Crossed's world, somehow managed to find a voice. Call me jaded, but the image of the jeep parking on the bleeding Crossed woman doesn't really disturb me much at all. Fried Gold's recent AV was FAR more graphic.

2) A young girl getting torn apart by feral Crossed people, while her mother and father get butt-raped. (Rape is one way of spreading the disease). Dennis says that the mother and father are "impossibly aware." But from what I've read so far, when a character starts ranting without grammar, that usually conveys the fact that they've been Crossed. This is exactly what the mother says: "Stupid cocksucker motherfucker look what you did look what you fucking did," after seeming like a pretty mousy woman in the previous panel.

I guess that one scene (a double-page layout) was a bit fucked up...but nothing in the book is really anywhere near as visceral and depraved as Dennis described it. At least not to my eyes. How in the hell can you look at a comic with this cover and not expect something akin to those two scenes above?

I was surprised there wasn't MORE carnage and less chamber scenes. Torture porn, by my reckoning, is violence without a plot or any justification for the shit it puts its characters through. Crossed, to me, doesn't seem like Garth Ennis' attempt at cashing in on the torture genre. It's mostly a series of conversations between people wondering whether they'll lose their humanity first or their lives (like most other Zombie movies or comics).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:06 pm

How can I describe what disgusts me? I'm a journalist by training. While I couldn't divorce myself emotionally from what I read, I could describe it coldly because to do otherwise would not communicate properly what I saw and what I wanted others to understand without having seen it themselves.

I don't think necroporn has to be plotless. Hostel didn't have much of a plot, but it had a setup for what was happening. Saw not so much, as the Vicar would say, but there was some shred of a story to rationalize the violence.

The cover doesn't suggest half the level of graphic violence that's inside. Such is typical, but still. And if the torture is only a small percentage of the story pages, the climax is two goddam pages in great detail. On the next page we are then told, character to character, that we don't want to see that. Obviously Ennis wants us to, though, for whatever reason.

And with that, I'm done.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Seppuku on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:48 pm

Well I guess everyone's got their own barriers they don't want to cross (my last post was spent slamming Salo, after all). I still think that your hyperlucid (yes, I just made that word up) description of what amounts to just a couple of panels borders on voyeurism. Like the Pope flicking through Playboy and muttering to himself, "You dirty, dirty girls..." I'm also not sure why you bought the second issue if this series wasn't for you, especially when it came with that cover.

That being said, I do agree with you on Ennis' motivations. It does look a little like he's trying to salvage his career by making his name synonymous with extreme violence. I just don't think Crossed crossed the line; if there is a line, it was leapt over long before this came out. People get off on violence. Sad, but true. :(

EDIT: For the record, I never saw Saw (heh) or Hostel. Not because they looked too extreme for me, just because they looked like shit movies. Again I ask: why subject yourself to things you know will conjur up such strong feelings in you? You must have had some idea about them beforehand.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:23 am

Action Comics #871 - While the triangle says this is part 4 of New Krypton, it is more like part 3 (not sure what the Adventure Comics special told us that we didn't really already know). Another solid issue of what is shaping up to be a really meaningful tale in the life of Superman. Johns plays a bit with what Doomsday TRULY is, something he loves to do and thankfully he is very skilled at it (although there is a slight problem...Booster Gold gave Doomsday his name, right? How did the Kryptonians know to call him that? Did Booster Gold visit Kandor or something?). There is also a group of Kryptonians sympathetic to Zod that run into some unexpected, but wonderful trouble. It may be a red herring, but certain fans of a certain character may be dancing with joy soon enough. I do miss Gary Frank though. 4/5

Final Crisis: Resist - Greg Ruck returns with his partner in crime to the world of Checkmate and I couldn't be happier. This is an excellent tie-in to Final Crisis. Rucka just owns the Checkmate characters. It kills me that he left that book (and in the hands of Bruce Jones...shiver). This is a must have for fans of FC. 4.5/5

GL Corps. #30 - GL Corps is ramping up like crazy to Blackest Night. In this issue, we get to see the guardians on a diplomatic mission. The result is compelling and will get you so totally pumped for Blackest Night. GL Corps is becoming one of the better series being published right now by DC. Tomasi is really turning into a great asset at the company. 4/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Supergirl #35 - This issue sets out to accomplish two things. First, it progresses Kara's story in relation to New Krypton. It doesn't necessarily progress the overall NK story, but it spends some time with Kara and her reaction to all of this. Second, and most importantly, this issue attempts to make sense of all the crazy stuff that occurred throughout the brief existence of this new volume of Supergirl. That is, it makes sense of the personality swings, the crystals, the "YOU MUST KILL KAL-EL!" jazz. Gates and Igle attempt to streamline Kara's past so that they can move her forward. And ultimately, I feel that they were successful. The result isn't an overly compelling issue because it is mostly exposition, but certainly a necessary one for us fans of Kara. 3/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 am

Final Crisis #5: Grant, you lost me. I didn't really understand this at all. I should read again, but I need footnotes or something.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:16 pm

LIstening to Sepp and Dennis have a go at Crossed made me curious.
It was almost a bit like watching your parents fight.
So, like any naughty kid, I bought Crossed 1 & 2.

The cover was a bit of a giveaway - lunatics with scarred faces, a women being flung out of an airplane,
a stew laying nearby, her face a mask of blood, another women being dragged down the aisle to the waiting open door,
a young child hanging by his neck from the ceiling and another man having his skull crushed and blood, blood, blood everywhere.
No puppies?
Already been raped and eaten, I suppose.
Anyway, before I cracked the seal I knew it was not going to be Sound of Music.
More like The Road, only without the comedy and uplifting finale.

Yeah, it's a bit dark.

The VAST majority of it is 28 Days Later-style survivor talk. The characters are all hunkering down in a cave, having the usual "It ain't like it is in the movies" sort of conversation. I think Jacen's artwork was pretty great; in fact, perhaps too good for Ennis' slightly forgettable characters. I read this comic 2 minutes ago and I can't remember any of their names...which either means I should get an Alzheimer's check-up, or they weren't really that brilliantly written to begin with.

Direct hit. Although I'm curious enough ( it's a goddam curse ) to see where this will go.
I find this variation on the zombie theme very unsettling - creatures fanatically dedicated
to finding and killing you in inventive ways. Before, you just had to worry about getting eaten.
"I just think they're a thousand kinds of mean...." Cindy says.
Ennis found a way to ramp up the danger.

It seems Ennis's reaction to a society that continues to devolve into barbarism and brutality
is to up the stakes. Commonplace murder won't do anymore - we get that on the evening news.
Fathers raping their daughters in basements for decades. Women drowning or murdering their own children.
Children killing other children and adults. Jules Feiffer's Little Murders are here, and they're Big.

Is Ennis really ramming the Graphic into graphic comics? Well, read and decide.

Maybe it's because I've stopped being surprised by what so-called humans are capable of doing to other humans,
with or without reason or provocations. Out of boredom. So called perfectly sane people have been doing the same or worse since man learned to kill. I can't be shocked by a graphic novel anymore.
The evil that men do unto others makes Ennis's little parable a curiosity, but nothing more.
History has already shown us what "humans" do when the chips are down,
when the restraints of polite society and ethics and all that grande shite falls away
and there's only making it to tomorrow. And they did it without the mask of insanity, without the fig leaf of
mental illness.

If America falls apart in the next few months, and it could ( California will be bankrupt in a couple of months, so I've heard )
who knows what you'll see when all the rules and restraints are stripped away from millions of people and there is only survival.
I think, if that happens, Ennis will look mild in comparison.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:52 am

School and work have done their best to keep me away from comics, but I had a night alone so I made my way through the stack of back issues that has been taunting me for the last few weeks. Here are some thoughts:

Blue Beetle #33, 34 - I will so thoroughly miss this series when it is gone. Jamie is a great addition to the DC Universe and deserves to be around for some time to come. Matt Sturges has done a really nice job stepping in to shepard this title to the end of it's journey. The new Dr Polaris could have been a nice villain for Jamie, I hope he sticks around, too. I am really pumped for Willingham and Sturges to take over JSA. Sturges is a great writer. Also really glad that Jamie has made the transition to Teen Titans and the very capable hands of Sean McKeever. More on that later, though.

Buffy #18-21 - Having Buffy back is just a thrill I can't imagine getting over. However, I haven't been head over heels for the new stuff in the way I thought that I would. It isn't bad, per se, but it isn't even close to the highest peaks of the series. The Fray story was boring, but the conclusion was intriguing. The animated series issue was fun, but in a fleeting way. Same goes for the Harmony issue. One review summed it up beautifully, and I am paraphrasing, but lately this series has seemed more like a fanboy wank fest than an actual narrative. Look! Amy and Warren! Look! Faith! Look! Dracula! Look! Fray! Look! Riley! and so on and so forth. I just don't know anymore. Whedon said he thought this would last 32 issues. That means we are in the home stretch. 11 more issues left more or less. Lets hope the final lap will be more streamlined.

DMZ #34-38 - The new status quo for the incomparable DMZ is centered around Matty's relationship to the political powerhouse that is Parco Delgado. It is a wonderful new direction for a series that, while always great, was wandering aimlessly for a bit. Blood In The Game was a shot to the arm and the wonderful interlude The Island was engrossing, even if it made me long for the return of Riccardo Burchielli's kinetic and engaging art. Now, we move to the War Powers arc, which looks like it is going to be an important moment for DMZ. Parco wants the enigmatic China Town gold and he apparently has an alliance with the Free States. How will Trustwell respond to all of this? I don't know, but DMZ is back to being a must buy again. Not that it ever really left.

Ex Machina #38-40 - BKV is such a fucking asshole. He spoils the shit out of us with Runaways, Y: The Last Man, and Ex Machina only to leave us high and dry with blue balls like you wouldn't believe for the fucking greener pastures of LOST and the Hollywood scene. And then, just to fuck with us, he'll release an issue of Ex Machina here and there to remind us exactly what we're missing. The last of the BKV trinity is ending (Runaways may not be "dead" so to speak, but it is for my purposes) in a mere 20 issues and he certainly appears as though he intends to end it with as strong a finish as possible. The Mayor deals with some "trouble", gets an interesting offer, and then meets a rather interesting pair. You have to love the meta issue #40. Probably one of my favorites. I doubt anyone has any idea where this story is going or how it will end, but all who have read it will no doubt relish the opportunity to go along for the ride.

Fables #75-80 - Oh Bill Willingham you sadistic fuck. The Fables finally get all that their hearts desire with minimal loss and wouldn't you know it their lives are worse than ever. Poor Boy Blue! What will become of Fabletown? Can Rose Red step up when she is asked? Who is the villainour Mister Dark? So many questions and with the looming inaugural crossover with Jack of Fables on the horizon, Fables is stronger than ever after putting to rest its major story line.

If I may step back a bit to reflect, it is interesting viewing these titles now, after having been with them for so long. DMZ is at issue #38! Ex Machina is at #40 and driving towards a conclusion! Fables now #80 and still strong even after the great War is over? What a joy it has been to ride these great series out. I can't wait to see where they are all going!

Final Crisis #6 I love Final Crisis. It has probably been my favorite "event" since I started to read comics. That being said, events are not a good idea. Hitching your entire line to one story is poor planning. Especially when it is Grant Morrison at the helm. I love Grant, but his books are intended to be challenging, some would say purposefully incomprehensible, and that will never change. Furthermore, if the book is delayed (which, if modern history tells us ANYTHING...it will be. Every major event invariably suffers delays and shit just always hits the fan. You'd think they would be better at this now, but not so much) you have a mess on your hands because this book spins out of that book and into another book, etc. It is maddening. And to make matters worse, you hire a cadre of artists to make up for the fact that your superstar artist can't make the deadline, even with that deadline having been pushed back MONTHS, only to have SOME ASSHOLE forget that Mister Miracle is supposed to be BLACK at the moment and not...well whatever the fuck color he was in Final Crisis #6. Then, of course, there is Batman RIP and how IT relates to Final Crisis ( a book with delays of its own). Wrap this up with the DC media machine instilling expectations and what not in us fans and you have a piece of work that is almost impossible to review independently. I love Final Crisis. I am literally gushing with anticipation for the conclusion (hitting stores THIS WEEK!), but that doesn't change the fact that this was a bad idea, poorly conceived and executed, that falls squarely on the lap of one Dan Didio.

Green Lantern #36-37 - Green Lantern just feels so huge. The story that Johns is telling is mythic and cinematic. The introduction to the Blue Lanterns has me overflowing with excitement. They are just so cool. In my head, I see this whole saga playing out like some Spielberg film. Enormous in scope, but always grounded in engaging characters. This is pop storytelling at its finest. Green Lantern continues to be the best superhero book on the market (at least on DC's side of things).

Green Lantern Corps. #32 - Peter Tomasi is completely in tune with Geoff Johns and his plans for the GL universe. Thankfully, he is also a really good writer with an interesting cast of characters that can be both in line and distinct from Green Lantern proper. It makes for marvelous tandem reading. The GL universe is so thoroughly fleshed out. I am so impressed at how well these books work together. If the Green Lantern is the best superhero book offered by DC than GL Corps is not far behind.

Teen Titans #65-66 - I have been a big fan of Sean McKeever since Spidey Loves MJ. I thought DC scored a big victory luring him away from Marvel. His work on Birds of Prey was short lived, but very cool. Putting him on Teen Titans seemed like a no-brainer. However, I have been rather mixed on the final product. He certainly has some nice character work in each issue. The way he has developed Jamie and Red Devil has been excellent. It is just that he struggles at time with plot. It is what separates his run on the title, from say Geoff Johns' run. His plots don't reveal anything about the characters. They are just constructs to get our characters from point A to point B. It is a fine distinciton, but when you compare Johns to McKeever you can see it quite plainly. He and Marv Wolfman have a big crossover planned and I am looking forward to that. I just hope that the restrictions in place at the moment keeping TT from being excellent and not just great are broken through eventually. It would be a shame to see McKeever fail to rise above his current limitations because I honestly believe that he could.

More to come, including Scalped and Wonder Woman!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:09 pm

So, have any of you guys been reading the Ultimatum crossover thingie?

If so, is it any good?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:43 pm

instant_karma wrote:So, have any of you guys been reading the Ultimatum crossover thingie?

If so, is it any good?

So far it has all the focus of Ultimates III. The plot thus far: giant tsunamikills millions in NYC, but is held back from doing more damage when Sue Storm over extends herself to push back the tsunami with a force field... then she slips into a coma. Apparently killed in the tsunami: Beast, Dazzler, Nightcrawler who were on their way to abroadway show. Xaviersends out a mental distress call saying this is the first step in Magnetos doomsday plan, which is to wipe out every last homo sapien off the planet...they've teased a spider-man vs. hulk fight in three separate issues (always ending with the hulk holding a car overhead like he's going to smash it down on Pete), but then solicites show Hulk fighting alongside everyone else, so I am not sure why they are extending the suspense of Spider-man being all "ONOES" and then the Hulkis like "RELAX KID I'M HAN SOLO HERE LOL". Hmmm, Reed Richards went off to blame Namor for the Tsunami... You're mom might somehow be involved. Really I don't know what's going on. Oh yeah, Magneto keeps showing up in the same pose sitting in a chair with thors hammer at his side, but I think they just keep inserting in the same art from the solicitation of this event. Just remembered, Magneto does show up at Xavier's place long enough to SNAP HIS NECK.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby instant_karma on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:01 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:then the Hulkis like "RELAX KID I'M HAN SOLO HERE LOL".

That could well be the best bit of Hulk dialogue ever, and it's not even real. You've exposed all comic book writers as the cheap hacks that they really are.
instant_karma

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:59 pm

instant_karma wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:then the Hulkis like "RELAX KID I'M HAN SOLO HERE LOL".

That could well be the best bit of Hulk dialogue ever, and it's not even real. You've exposed all comic book writers as the cheap hacks that they really are.

Thanks, but my real name is John Byrne and your hurt my feeling.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Lecko, can we get your take on FC *7? Seems in the end like something of a big tease to me, but what do I know?
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:45 am

DennisMM wrote:Lecko, can we get your take on FC *7? Seems in the end like something of a big tease to me, but what do I know?

I just finished reading it a moment ago.

I was absolutely floored. I haven't really had time to process the whole thing yet. I will probably read it again several times and will hopefully have time to read the whole series + Superman Beyond + Submit + Resist so that I can get the whole story in one sitting.

My initial impressions though:

-No one but Morrison should write Superman. He just plain gets it.
-DC could have done a better job informing the readers which titles would be necessary (Lo3W, Revelations, and Rage of the Red Lanterns all seem to be fairly inconsequential while Superman Beyond seems invaluable).
-This story was more massive (and more metafictional) than I think anyone really comprehended.
-Batman RIP and the hype machine that surrounded it really diluted Batman's story in Final Crisis and the epilogue better hint to more Morrison Batman stories in the future.
-Along those same lines, why did we need the explosion "death" at the end of RIP if that was a red herring all along? Unless RIP gets collected alongside FC the story itself (RIP, I mean) is ultimately futile, silly and unsatisfying.
-Morrison should write Wonder Woman...and Barry Allen.
-His books should come with an appendix. I am not joking.
-The ending for the Monitors was gorgeous. Those were probably my two favorite pages in the book.
-And didn't he kind of look like Static?

I don't know. I will write up something more in depth at a later date. Probably next weekend. For right now, I am just going to let it all wash over me. Although I still do contend that given time, this will be widely recognized as a masterwork of event comics. It just feels elevated when compared to something as banal as Secret Invasion (or even Infinite Crisis for that matter).
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:20 pm

REVIEWS!

Blue Beetle #35 - A few things happened simultaneously after reading this, the penultimate issue of Jamie Reyes' solo book. First, I took a moment to recognize how thoroughly I enjoy this character and his entire supporting cast. To think that we will not be seeing any more of Paco, Jamie's parents, ugh I don't even want to think about it. Second, I made the decision to buy JSA under Sturges and Willingham. Why did I make that decision? Well, because the third thing that happened was that I realized I just read a fucking kick ass comic book. From the writing to the art it was all awesomeness, all the time. I will never understand why this book didn't develop a following. It is absolutely criminal. Jamie Reyes will not be fodder for some event down the line. I will not let it happen. 4.5/5

Final Crisis #7 - I am going to put on my hyperbole hat right now. Ok, got it on. Here it goes: Final Crisis (+ Superman Beyond) is the best mainstream superhero comic produced. By extension, it is the best book ever to be set in the DC universe. It is, without question, the best example of what DC can do, which Marvel cannot, ever to be presented. None of the surrounding missteps undermine that essential truth. I am not entirely sure there is anything more to say. 1,000,000/5

Teen Titans #67 - The Renaissance of the Teen Titans keeps chugging along. This month, it is a Faces of Evil issue focusing on Sebastian Blood. I had no idea who this dude was, but it was still a good read. It also introduced Kid Eternity to the fold, which is a develop I am sure to enjoy. Throw in Static and perhaps another female character and you got yourself a stew going, as Carl Weathers would say. Plus, the art is solid and it has Jamie Reyes in it. All reasons to check it out. 3.5/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 pm

You must have the same magic mushroom dealer as Grant Morrison. I thought Final Crisis was a big let down. A little too meta, a little too operatic, a little too confusing. I could list a few gripes here, but I wasn't impressed with the Deus ex Machina ending, and was especially irritated at the Flashes building up to do something important and then just... meh,
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm

I have to agree, burl. It didn't have the effect I'd expected, to say the least. Don't call it Final Crisis if the final crisis only lightly impacts the DCU.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:32 pm

Lightly impacts the DCU? Did I mysteriously get sent an alternate book than the rest of you?

The enormity of what Morrison accomplished here is almost beyond words. I can't even bring myself to debate the point. It all just seems to self-evident to me.

And, btw, Morrison didn't chose the title Final Crisis. Didio presented him with the name and he crafted a story. Regardless, it seems silly to lay THAT as a criticism.

More and more, I am coming to realize that being a fan of Morrison reminds me a lot of being a fan of James Joyce. Sadly, I am a fan of both so it never ends. :P
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:53 pm

I've read Final Crisis, but not all of the connected books. I think whatever eventual impact it might have on the DCU is down to the editors and whether other writers want to play within the sandbox that Morrison has established. The potential for there to be big changes does seem to be there, but only if there is cohessive editorial planning to make sure that the changes are reflected in other books, which there doesn't sound like there is, though since I am almost exclusively a TPB reader these days, I'm usually six months to a year behind on continuity, so I could just be talking crap...
instant_karma

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Lightly impacts the DCU? Did I mysteriously get sent an alternate book than the rest of you?

The enormity of what Morrison accomplished here is almost beyond words. I can't even bring myself to debate the point. It all just seems to self-evident to me.

And, btw, Morrison didn't chose the title Final Crisis. Didio presented him with the name and he crafted a story. Regardless, it seems silly to lay THAT as a criticism.

More and more, I am coming to realize that being a fan of Morrison reminds me a lot of being a fan of James Joyce. Sadly, I am a fan of both so it never ends. :P

Well try using words to explain it. I really want to know "the enormity of what Morrison accomplished". There's a good chance I just didn't get it. To me it just seemed like all this bad stuff happen, and then the remaining heroes hit a giant reset button. Plus there seemed to be a missing chapter that explained how the heroes ended up on the satellite. Did they just abandon earth to the legions of darkseid, even though darkseid was supposed to be dead/dying? His death seemed to last longer than Pee Wee Herman's in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I mean, did I assume right that the Flashes lead the Black Racer to Darkseid for the Black Racer to take him? That whole bit confused me mainly because Darkseid kept carrying on.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:58 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Lightly impacts the DCU? Did I mysteriously get sent an alternate book than the rest of you?

Well try using words to explain it. I really want to know "the enormity of what Morrison accomplished". There's a good chance I just didn't get it. To me it just seemed like all this bad stuff happen, and then the remaining heroes hit a giant reset button. Plus there seemed to be a missing chapter that explained how the heroes ended up on the satellite. Did they just abandon earth to the legions of darkseid, even though darkseid was supposed to be dead/dying? His death seemed to last longer than Pee Wee Herman's in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I mean, did I assume right that the Flashes lead the Black Racer to Darkseid for the Black Racer to take him? That whole bit confused me mainly because Darkseid kept carrying on.

Morrison created a LIVING DCU. The DC universe is as real as anything else because we give it existence. Think of what that could mean story wise? Furthermore, Morrison implied that potentially the heroes in the DCU recognize that they are fictional characters in a fictional universe made real by virtue of the reader. Again, think of the story possibilities. Of course, this has always been true, but now it is a fact of the DCU. Stated so in the EVENT comic meant to set the stage for what is to come. And it IS the FINAL Crisis because it is the ONLY Crisis. It is the only story to be told. Good vs. Evil where Evil can't possibly win. Why? Because the reader knows it is a story and the characters know it is a story and the STORY knows that it is a STORY. That is AWESOME! And THAT story, no matter how often retold, can still stir us emotionally. That is why we are compelled to read it and why writers are compelled ot write it.

This is the POTENTIAL result of an event comic written by one of the BIG TWO comic book companies. Imagine that.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Morrison created a LIVING DCU. The DC universe is as real as anything else because we give it existence. Think of what that could mean story wise? Furthermore, Morrison implied that potentially the heroes in the DCU recognize that they are fictional characters in a fictional universe made real by virtue of the reader. Again, think of the story possibilities. Of course, this has always been true, but now it is a fact of the DCU. Stated so in the EVENT comic meant to set the stage for what is to come. And it IS the FINAL Crisis because it is the ONLY Crisis. It is the only story to be told. Good vs. Evil where Evil can't possibly win. Why? Because the reader knows it is a story and the characters know it is a story and the STORY knows that it is a STORY. That is AWESOME! And THAT story, no matter how often retold, can still stir us emotionally. That is why we are compelled to read it and why writers are compelled ot write it.

This is the POTENTIAL result of an event comic written by one of the BIG TWO comic book companies. Imagine that.

*cough* Animal Man *cough*

(Seriously, it had that exact same storyline).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:05 am

Obviously, which explains why I am drawn to this book. I am a fan of Morrison, I make no qualms about that.

However, the point your missing (or ignoring or were unaware of, etc.) is that Animal Man was a solo book about a small time character...which has now been relegated to the "void" of Vertigo along with Swamp Thing.

Final Crisis is a line-wide event comic that supposedly forms the spine for the DCU in the near future. Clearly, you see the differences in scale?

EDIT: And, for reasons I don't remember, I noticed that something I initially wrote was edited out (by me... :oops: ) of my initial post. That is, exactly I_K's point, which is that this has the POTENTIAL for earth shattering change. It is up to other writers and editors to take it up. Just figured I would re-insert that.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:27 am

Anyone else read some comics today?

I certainly did!

Adventure Comics #0 - I think at some point there was supposed to be more new content here, but essentially what we get is a reprint of the first Superboy & The Legion story and one of those Origin and Omen back-ups written by Geoff Johns. I dug the reprint a lot, but the Origin and Omen back-up was actually pretty significant. It was narrated by SCAR, the rogue Guardian of Oa who was messed up by the Anti-Monitor and it essentially informs us that Connor Kent is coming back. Not sure in what capacity. Now, the preview says this will be continued in Adventure Comics #1, which gives a hint at what that title will look like. I was hoping that book would focus on the Legion...now I have no idea. Anyway, it wasn't a bad purchase for $1. But it also is kind of above review.

Buffy #22 - Yikes! Was there really demand out there for a team-up between Kennedy and the other lesbian girl that Buffy boned? I mean, really? These two are pretty despised in most Buffy circles. Well, one is despised the other is just irrelevant. Anyway, this issue is fairly lame. Never much cared for Kennedy so that was a nonstarter for me and what the fuck was with those bear looking kitty things? That was just unsettling. 2.5/5

Legion of Three Worlds #3? - This may be #4, but I am too lazy to look it up. Anyway, seems like forever ago since I read the last issue. I had a hard time keeping track of the characters, obviously, because they are so plentiful, but this was still pretty cool. George Perez rocks and some pretty big developments appear on the horizon. I mean, Bart Allen returns (between him and Connor it looks like the Johns TT are coming back in full!) and my bet is that Polar Boy took some of Luthor's hair to bring Connor back as predicted in Johns Origin and Omens. Good stuff. 3.5/5
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:33 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Anyone else read some comics today?

I certainly did!

Adventure Comics #0 - I think at some point there was supposed to be more new content here, but essentially what we get is a reprint of the first Superboy & The Legion story and one of those Origin and Omen back-ups written by Geoff Johns. I dug the reprint a lot, but the Origin and Omen back-up was actually pretty significant. It was narrated by SCAR, the rogue Guardian of Oa who was messed up by the Anti-Monitor and it essentially informs us that Connor Kent is coming back. Not sure in what capacity. Now, the preview says this will be continued in Adventure Comics #1, which gives a hint at what that title will look like. I was hoping that book would focus on the Legion...now I have no idea. Anyway, it wasn't a bad purchase for $1. But it also is kind of above review.

Buffy #22 - Yikes! Was there really demand out there for a team-up between Kennedy and the other lesbian girl that Buffy boned? I mean, really? These two are pretty despised in most Buffy circles. Well, one is despised the other is just irrelevant. Anyway, this issue is fairly lame. Never much cared for Kennedy so that was a nonstarter for me and what the fuck was with those bear looking kitty things? That was just unsettling. 2.5/5

Legion of Three Worlds #3? - This may be #4, but I am too lazy to look it up. Anyway, seems like forever ago since I read the last issue. I had a hard time keeping track of the characters, obviously, because they are so plentiful, but this was still pretty cool. George Perez rocks and some pretty big developments appear on the horizon. I mean, Bart Allen returns (between him and Connor it looks like the Johns TT are coming back in full!) and my bet is that Polar Boy took some of Luthor's hair to bring Connor back as predicted in Johns Origin and Omens. Good stuff. 3.5/5

Is Connor Kent returns a Black Lantern.?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:45 am

TheButcher wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Anyone else read some comics today?

I certainly did!

Is Connor Kent returns a Black Lantern.?

That is an option given Scar's role as the Black Lantern Guardian. But Scar says this about Connor:

"And he [Lex Luthor] will facilitate a being that may well DISRUPT our FRENZY...One who struggles with the process of emotions. One much more like him than EITHER of them know..."

And this all appears over panels depicting BRAINIAC. Then on the final page Scar says: "The book makes no mention of Brainiac...No. There is ANOTHER Luthor will have control over...Huge panel of Connor and then this:...but he is DEAD. And WE control the dead."

So basically, he SHOULD be a Black Lantern, but the Black Lantern Book says that LUTHOR will control him. Pretty cool stuff.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:55 am

Lecko, my real problem with FC is not so much that it's not a final crisis as that it doesn't strike me as anything special. I've been reading Grant Morrison since his English reprints started showing up. I was there for Animal Man and Doom Patrol. I saw him change the rules of mainstream comics work with metafictional storytelling and Burroughsian cut-up techniques and appropriating characters and settings from outside, sometimes erudite sources. It was entertaining and edifying, and I had to think while reading his work.

Twenty years later, however, I didn't see much worth championing. His use of the technique has grown more sophisticated, but it's the same technique blown up to a larger scale. The story he told was, to me, less entertaining than those of twenty years ago. It was grand as opposed to personal, but so what? I prefer personal stories, especially when they impact a larger society, as Animal Man did to an extent. To me, an attempt to destroy all that's good, laying waste the Earth, leading the remaining heroic characters to freeze the population of the planet is not nearly so interesting as Buddy Baker coming home to find his family is dead. In the same way, Crisis on Infinite Earths didn't entertain me as much as the issue of Swamp Thing that overtly crossed over with Crisis.

The battle of good and evil occurs every day. It's the oldest story there is. If it's told well, it's very interesting. I don't think Morrison told it in a very interesting fashion.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:51 am

The new mini-series by Duncan "Metal Men" Rouleau called The Great Unknown began last week. I was a big champion for his Metal Men series and was keen on picking this book up. The first issue is quite marvelous. I would highly recommend it.

Here is a 5 page preview provided to Newsarama.

I really dig the work of Man of Action. Joe Kelly is really blooming and Duncan Rouleau hasn't done me wrong yet.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books