10 Favorite / Least Favorite Superheroes

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

10 Favorite / Least Favorite Superheroes

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:38 pm

From the Green Lantern thread...

athenabodicea wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:W ho cares...

Green Lantern is the worst superhero next to Aquaman & Thor.... :roll:

* clutches heart after being stabbed with metaphorical piece of yellow *

You're kidding, right???

You know what I would like to see Whedon??
(and we can create a new thread for this if you so desire)

I would love to see your top ten favorite superheroes...
Not who can beat the shit out of the next guy...

Just your favorites and why....

Maybe even list the 10 least favorites while we're at it... ;)

So, here we have it. Who are your ten favorite and/or least favorite superheroes? And why?

Athena, I need to think about this. Will chime in tomorrow.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:54 pm

I too need to think about this....

So many good answers....
I'll be back.... ;)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:57 pm

Faves:

10) Doctor Strange - Magic!

9) Rouge - Theif!

8) Iron Man - Lush!

7) Punisher - Guns!

6) Hulk - Smash!

5) Cyclops - ZZZACKT!

4) Hawkman - Wings!

3) Wonder Woman - Boobs!

2) Superman - Super!

1) Batman - Brains!

Lame? Yes, I know.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Do they have to be in order, or just a group of ten?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Do they have to be in order, or just a group of ten?

Don't be fooled by my numbering system. It is haphazard and needs some work.

As the Digable Planets once said, "Do What Cha Feel."

Fuck it. Just vomit them out. It made me feel better.

:oops: :shock: :x
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:18 pm

I'd like to see them in some kind of order...
Least favorite to favorite or vice versa...

You can group some together (as sort of a tie or equally great or horrible) if its too hard....

See if you cant try and keep some sort of order....

If not, thats ok too....

I am waiting to post here because I am having trouble getting my own list together and in order... ;)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 pm

Lurker Johnson wrote:Faves:

10) Doctor Strange - Magic!

9) Rouge - Theif!

8) Iron Man - Lush!

7) Punisher - Guns!

6) Hulk - Smash!

5) Cyclops - ZZZACKT!

4) Hawkman - Wings!

3) Wonder Woman - Boobs!

2) Superman - Super!

1) Batman - Brains!

Lame? Yes, I know.

I like your list actually... ;)
Good answers & fun reasons...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:21 pm

Well, I do like Batman best. So my list is mostly right.

:)
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:23 pm

See... this is going to be harder having to put them in order...
Maybe I will just put out my top ten and try to put them in order later....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:36 pm

Okay. Next question - Do I have to make my mind up based solely on comics, or can other stuff count?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:48 pm

here are my favorites, in no particular order...

nightcrawler - my first love. has been, is, and will always be my favorite x-person of all times

silver surfer - one of the only books i ever had a subscription to. loved me some norrin radd

conan - one of my two favorite magazines of all time to make this list was "savage sword of conan". as a child, upon discovering conan, i swore i had found the coolest, most adult, badass in comics. john buscema is the fucking man!

loki - coolest helmets on any character in any universe, bar none

that guy with the claw from "faust" - god, that series was fucking amazing!!!!!

the crypt keeper - i grew up on ec reprints. i still love em. tales from the crypt, vault of horror, psychoanalyst, tales of valor, two fisted tales, weird science, loved em all. so who better than the crypt keeper to accept this award on all of their behalfs?

omaha the cat dancer - a soap opera about beastiality?!?!?! who the fuck let me get my hands on that shit as a child?

the space phantom - come on, even 40 years later he still looks like a fuckin creep.

flaming carrot - hilarious! really funny stuff.

alfred e. newman - ok, this might be stretching it a little, but lets not forget that MAD started as an ec book by bill gaines, and is now owned by DC. anyways, i still have a subscription to MAD magazine, and its still hilarious. they hate everything, just like me! including themselves. oh beautiful self deprecation, thy name be MAD magazine!
Last edited by Brocktune on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:50 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Okay. Next question - Do I have to make my mind up based solely on comics, or can other stuff count?

Hahahahahaha....

You know what...
You all can do whatever you would like...
I dont want to make this difficult...

It should be fun...

Do whatever you like.... ;)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Brocktune wrote:in no particular order...

nightcrawler - my first love. has been, is, and will always be my favorite x-person of all times

No. Way!

I was having a hard time coming up with a list of 10 right off the bat, but I was on the verge of saying "Well, I know my favorite is Nightcrawler..." I love that furry blue swashbuckler.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:54 pm

10-Nightwing. Because he branched out on his own out from under Batman's wing and is kicking @$$.

9-Iron Man. I dig the suit.

8-Captain America. He's F'N Captain America. Get behind JUSTICE.

7-The Shadow. My uncle used to have copies of the old tapes and I dug them as a child. It's more of a heart thing than anything else.

6-Daredevil. Blind man can KICK BUTT!!

5-Thor. God of Thunder . . . and Rock N' Roll.

4-Green Lantern. He's a cop with a ring as powerful as the cosmos. Don't mess with him on a bad day.

3-Spiderman. I grew up on Spiderman comics, and I cringed at the Clone Sage (which seems to have resurfaced in the Ultimates line. OH NOES!!)

2-Superman. I still wish I could fly and save the damsel in distress. One day.

1-Batman. Because he has the cash and the car. Chick dig the car.

Yes these are swarmy answers but they'll do for now. More details to come.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Brocktune on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:54 pm

the very first marvel comic i ever bought was issue number 1 of that nightcrawler limited series. it was love from the very first panel. glad to know that there is much love in your heart for kurt warner, ribbs! i always knew you had taste! :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:17 pm

Wow, this took awhile, but it was fun...

Favorites:

1) Batman - always has been, always will be...I could go on for a million reasons, but you likely know them all already.

2)Rorschach - Batman gone apeshit. I only regret there are no other Rorschach tales out there, and his death is one of the greatest and emotional moments I've ever read in comics.

3) The Crow - I much prefer this spirit of vengeance to the odd-looking and overly gravitas-ridden Spectre (speedos and a cowl? WTF?)

4) The Shadow - with the power to cloud men's minds, I used to listen to the old radio stories with my dad as a kid, I love that forties-noir take on the superhero, plus, he always seemed on the edge of evil-scary.

5) Triphammer - from 'Powers' - an Iron Man outfit with a near-Punisher sense of justice, that's hard to beat.

6) Daredevil - particularly since the beginning of the Bendis run. Matt Murdock is complex and toes the line of 'vigilante' almost as tightly as Dark Knight - he could just use some better villains, because after Kingpin and Jigsaw, it's damn near a freefall to The Owl and such.

7) Element Lad - easily the coolest freaking power in all of the years of The Legion - the ability to transmute elements is highly underrated in the halls of freaky-scary-when-you-think-about-if-he-went-nuts (which he eventually did) powers.

8) Manhunter - the current version - this female take on Manhunter is awesome, and totally feels real, plus she doesn't really follow everyone's rules, and is figuring it out as she goes. I dig this character a lot.

9) Green Lantern/ Hal Jordan - I remember watching Green Lantern Adventures on an early version of Nickelodeon (I think) when I was a kid - they just showed the panels and had voice-overs done - I've been a Hal Jordan mark ever since.

10) Reed Richards - He's a friggin' genius, can stretch all ways to Sunday and makes going gray around the temples look cool.

EDIT: The Tick is my #11 - 'You're not going crazy, you're gone sane in a crazy world' - 'Nuff Said!

Least Favorites -

1) The Batmobile - not a superhero, per se, but the one prevalent thing in all the movies, cartoons, etc. that I HATE about the Batman mythos. I dug the seventies books when he drove something like a Maserati that wasn't all tricked out with all the crap - it was just a vehicle, that's all it has ever needed to be (you can throw pretty much every 'Super-Vehicle' in here as well).

2) Thor - Probably because I couldn't (and can't) stand that Asgardian-God speak that he was using all throughout the seventies...and I haven't read him since -not a mythology guy, and that certainly didn't help Thor's chances with me.

3) Doctor Strange - Has Steven Strange ever been on anyone's list of favorites? I'm not against magic-based characters, but Doc Strange is compounds his 'totally a snore' problem by having one of the stupidest-looking costumes ever. He looks like Mysterio after a three-day trip to Burning Man.

4) All forms of Hank Pym - outside of his 'total asshole' presentation in 'Ultimates' I have found Doctor Hank to be a total no-personality tag-along in ALL of his incarnations. I think that's why I also hate:

5) Ant-Man - All of them - yet, I think 'The Atom' kicks ass. Maybe because I was a DC kid, and looked at Ant-Man as a knock-off. And that helmet is stupid-looking.

6) Valkyrie (most used in 'The Defenders') - worst hair ever and suffers from 'reminding me too much of Thor with jugs'.

7) Bouncing Boy - from 'The Legion' - with a power so awesome they quit having him be an active-power character twenty-years-plus back and he is instead a mechanic of some sort. When The Legion has absolutely no use for your power, you really suck. Jesus, Matter-Eater-Lad (R.I.P) could've kicked Chuck Taine's ass.

8) Tie - Aquaman/Sub-Mariner - I know there's a million jokes about Aquaman out there, but there's a reason. Arthur Kent is just a character that might have been something in the fifties and sixties, but had a severely limited shelf life in the 'interesting' category. Sub-Mariner is certainly more developed and, well, useful than Aquaman, but he ruins it by being the biggest asshole that has ever graced the printed page. I get you're constantly pissed about mankind's treatment of your people; so's Black Panther, but he's not intentionally a dick to everybody he ever runs into. It takes a lot to make Frank Castle look compassionate, but god-bless Namor for taking care of that problem, at least.

9) The Silver Surfer - I just don't get it. Nor do I care to.

10) Superman - I know this'll catch flack, but I find the whole character boring as hell (exception made for the movies, which I do like a lot). I just can't get behind a character that legitimately doesn't have a realistic chance of ultimately losing the battle, I guess.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:04 am

I couldn’t come up with lists of ten. And I haven’t read comics or really thought much about superheroes since I was a teenager in the 1970s. But these are the ones I remember best:

My favorites:

8. Black Panther. I like a guy with super-agility. Plus, he’s the ruler of his own country. And he was always drawn (at least in the 70s) very cool.

7. NoMan from the THUNDER Agents. He could transfer his consciousness between android bodies. He had a lot of them around, it seemed, and could inhabit any one he chose. He could also turn invisible, which is also very cool.

6. The Thing. Like the Hulk, he’s pure, raw strength. I like that. But he also has real heart, real spirit – the kind of personality I can get behind. I also like the idea of a guy who looks freaky trying to have a semblance of a normal life. Terrific!

5. Iron Man. I like the idea of a techno-superhero. This guy isn’t super, but he is a genius, and made himself a suit of the most highly-advanced weaponry on Earth. And he has a heart problem. And alcoholism. This is really cool!

4. Reed Richards. I like the stretching powers and general indestructibility of this guy. He’s rubber – he can take anything! And he’s a scientific and technical genius, and that turns me on, too.

3. The Hulk. Pure, raw strength. Nothing more. I get a hard on for that.

2. Ulysses Bloodstone. A minor character from the Marvel universe. They put him in the wrong story. I totally loved the idea of a guy who’s basically immortal, born 10,000 years ago, has spent a lifetime mastering every type of fighting there has ever been, and is so totally blasé about the whole thing that he’s cool. If they hadn’t had him fighting weird monsters all the time, he’d have been the baddest badass of all time. The sawed-off shotgun is a cool weapon, too.

1. Bugs Bunny. Best superhero of all time. He has the power to manipulate reality, and is hilarious doing it. To the best of my knowledge, he never used it to defend the universe, but he sure defended himself against Elmer Fudd and the Tasmanian Devil, etc.!

Most hated:

Superman. This guy is just too invincible. I know they made Kryptonite so that he would have a weakness, but all that happened is that suddenly every villain has piles of Kryptonite everywhere just in case Superman shows up, just to make the stories interesting. I hate how he just seemed to acquire new powers whenever it was necessary. I hate the fact that his super-speed is so darn super he can do absolutely anything he wants with it. I absolutely loathe the concept of Superman.
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:46 am

*BUMP*
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:22 am

10 - Nick Fury
9 - Kitty Pryde
8 - The Thing
7 - Nightcrawler
6 - Beast
5 - Doctor Strange
4 - Wolverine
3 - Spider-Man
2 - Cyclops
1 - Daredevil
Last edited by Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:30 am

My faves, in order, from the top.

- Mr Snow
- Jenny Frost
- Batman
- The Great Machine
- Spiderman
- Apollo
- Lobster Johnson
- The Thing
- Daredevil
- Gambit
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:39 am

Good to see some Daredevil props. Anyone who can read through that bloody skeletor murder-case comic and still like Daredevil is a truly committed fan.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby doglips on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:41 am

Chilli wrote:10 - Nick Fury
9 - Beast
8 - The Thing
7 - Nightcrawler
6 - Beast
5 - Doctor Strange
4 - Wolverine
3 - Spider-Man
2 - Cyclops
1 - Daredevil

Fuck, you really love Beast don't you?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:44 am

What an awesome typo.

Hold on a sec... eta ammended!
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:50 am

I'm also gonna throw love at the swashbucklin' Kurt Wagner, and tack on Wolverine and Batman to the list... I can't think of others for the time being, but one of my least favorites has to be Ghost Rider. I dunno, I just don't like the guy.

I also used to dig Spectre and Sleepwalker (who is probably one of the shittiest heroes, but I like him for some reason).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:47 am

*sob*

There's just....too.....many.

Ok - to try and trim it down, I've gone with the ones I thought of first, rather than the ones I came to after due consideraton....I mean...there mus be a reason some of 'em muscled their way to the forefront, so its only fair to give them due props. It made for a couple of interesting inclusions - such as:

10) The Black Knight! Its "Marvel does Les Visteurs" - 'nuff said :D
9) Black Cat - for showing Parker a third way.
8) Human Torch. Disco inferno baby.
7) Spiderman. King of teh quip.
6) Rogue. For putting Danvers out of business. At least, for a while.
5) Iceman. The coolest hothead in town. And ice slides.
4) The Thing. Just great big orange rocky fun with pathos.
3) The Punisher. First character who I read that fought the good guys as often as the bad.
2) Batman. Similar ambiguity to Punisher, with a better mythos.
1) Wolverine. Quite simply the best at what he does.

Honourable mentions to: Daredevil, Nick Fury, Green Arrow, Hawkeye & Iron Man.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:52 am

I really want to see (or write, I can write it) a Daredevil/Batman team-up comic-book.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:03 am

NO inter-house cross-overs!

SNIKT! :twisted:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:08 am

Batman versus. Wolverine'd be fun. Bat-a-rang versus the claws of mass shredding. Hell, Wolverine versus Superman'd be hilarious.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:11 am

Let the arguments begin..... :wink:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MiltonWaddams on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:12 am

I don't have enough comic nerdery in me to pull out 10, but my favorites would be..

Nightcrawler
Ironman
Daredevil

Least favorite, and worst superhero of all time?

Superman

What can he do? WHAT CAN'T HE DO!
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:14 am

Wolverine dips his claws in liquid kryptonite and slashes and dices Superman for a few hours till the sun rises.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:14 am

MiltonWaddams wrote:WHAT CAN'T HE DO!

Take POTUS' dick out his ass for one....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:30 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
MiltonWaddams wrote:WHAT CAN'T HE DO!

Take POTUS' dick out his ass for one....

Heh, if the POTUS' put liquid kryptonite (green) on his... Superman'd never stop any supervillains.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:57 am

minstrel wrote:Most hated:

Superman. This guy is just too invincible. I know they made Kryptonite so that he would have a weakness, but all that happened is that suddenly every villain has piles of Kryptonite everywhere just in case Superman shows up, just to make the stories interesting. I hate how he just seemed to acquire new powers whenever it was necessary. I hate the fact that his super-speed is so darn super he can do absolutely anything he wants with it. I absolutely loathe the concept of Superman.

Yep! I couldn't possibly agree more. In addition to the fact that he's
essentially GOD, and only a deus ex machina contrivace can stop him,
he's a morally pedantic milquetoast / jingoist propaganda symbol.
Essentially he's the Ominpotent Ned Flanders. Worst superhero
character EVER.

With that being said, I offer my faves (in no partiklar):

~ the XMEN (As a collective group of heroes who actually have
relevance in the modern world; the opressed minority fighting for
acceptance in a world that hates and fears them.)

~ Spiderman (Again, a hero you can relate too; an everyguy with
shades of grey; as emotionally complex as they come, and as familiar as
the mirror. Ever wonder why he's so popular? He's the man.)

~ Blade ('Cause he's a vampire killin' vampire who knows kung fu,
wears fancy threads, and drives a bad ass car. Plus, he's a *gasp*
African American! Wow! Racial equality in comic books! Who knew?
He's the heterosexual version of Angel.)

~ V (Not really a superhero, as his entire character plays with the
conventions of what a superhero would be in a theocratic fascist future; a
morally ambiguous terrorist / freedom fighter who quotes Shakespeare
and digs Cat Power while benevolently brainwashing Natalie Portman. V is
exactly the "hero" we need now.)

~ The Bride / Beatrix Kiddo (She can kill a room full of Kato-ninja-
assassins and still take down the world's most dangerous assassin;
comes back from the dead like 8 times; and rips out people's eyes like a
Roman Senator eats grapes. She's the ultimate ultracool motherfuckin'
bad ass and she's drop dead gorgeous.)

~ Super Ninja Science Team GATCHAMAN (cause their theme song
is awesome, they were hype flash threads, and have a spaceship that
turns into a giant flaming bird. And we always get panty shots of
Princess.)

~ Brock Samson (Again, I don't know if he is really a superhero,
but he can kick ass like one, and he's always laying pipe on all the ladies
while saving the Venture Bros. from danger).
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:02 am

I actually dig Superman because he's a God-like character. There's a lot of room within the Superman verse to explore how his main weakness (humanity) is also his greatest strength, plus when he gets his ass kicked, it's somewhat more monumental.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:07 am

Top 10?

10) Captain America
9) Reed Richards
8) Daredevil
7) Wolverine
6) The Flash
5) Batman
4) Incredible Hulk
3) The Question
2) Spider-Man
1) Superman
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:09 am

Yeah, I think its just a matter of taste. I've read lots of people's passionate
defenses of Superman, and why they find his godlikeness interesting, I just
don't get the appeal. Its hard for me to root for a character who can't
possibly lose. If anything, I want to bad guys to win! I mean, Lex Luthor
has to work really hard at it; he has a challenge; I can more readily respect
his effort than Superman's effort which is negligible at best; he can't not
win.

In a weird way I kind of find Superman terrifying; this invincible smiling
goody two shoes milqetoast; who knows what kind of Hummel figurine
nightmare he has in his Flandersian mindhole.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:17 am

Zombie - there's this really cool comic out that shares strong parallels with what you just said. It basically has Lex as the good guy, trying to save Earth from the Alien menace known as Superman. Really good look into Lex's psyche, and works damn well, especially with the pretty terrifying images of Supes.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:19 am

Chilli wrote:Zombie - there's this really cool comic out that shares strong parallels with what you just said. It basically has Lex as the good guy, trying to save Earth from the Alien menace known as Superman. Really good look into Lex's psyche, and works damn well, especially with the pretty terrifying images of Supes.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Whats it called? Is it a TPB? I'd
pick that up.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:21 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Chilli wrote:Zombie - there's this really cool comic out that shares strong parallels with what you just said. It basically has Lex as the good guy, trying to save Earth from the Alien menace known as Superman. Really good look into Lex's psyche, and works damn well, especially with the pretty terrifying images of Supes.

pick that up.

Its called Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Written by Brian Azzarello (writer of 100 Bullets).

It is one of my top 5 favorite Superman stories...even though Supes is a supporting character in it. It is out as a TPB and is really cheap. You would love it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:22 am

ok, i have to preface these picks by stating that my view of most superheroes is probably outdated to an extent due to the fact that i have been a comic reader in many years, and so i come from a perspective of a teenager back in the 80's when it comes to most comic/superhero characters.

Daredevil is easily my top pick, though i confess to not having read any DD comics that have been published in the last 15 years. :oops: i DO have quite a collection from the 70's and early 80's though, including the Frank Miller run.

Spiderman- i am old enough to have watched the cartoon series of the late 60's/early 70's as a little kid and used to run around at the age of 3 singing "Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can......."

The Avengers- back when The Vision and the Scarlett Witch ran the show.

the Hulk- used to always root for him to smash those puny humans. if only they would just leave Hulk alone. as a kid i GOT that, because as a kid, thats how you feel about adults; if they just left you alone to do your thing..........

Blade- "all their strengths, and none of their weaknesses", with the coolness of Shaft.

not a top ten, i know, but the ones that come to mind without having to really dig.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:30 am

A bit Off-Topic:

Has anyone read this yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401200664/ref=pd_cp_b_title/103-6124296-9242269?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Just wondering if it is worth a look.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:47 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:

pick that up.

Its called Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Written by Brian Azzarello (writer of 100 Bullets).

It is one of my top 5 favorite Superman stories...even though Supes is a supporting character in it. It is out as a TPB and is really cheap. You would love it.

That sounds really cool! I will definately check that out.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:49 am

Chilli wrote:10 - Nick Fury
9 - Kitty Pryde
8 - The Thing
7 - Nightcrawler
6 - Beast
5 - Doctor Strange
4 - Wolverine
3 - Spider-Man
2 - Cyclops
1 - Daredevil

Are these your favorites or least favorites??

Or do we have 2 separate threads???
If so we need to change the title of this one... :roll:
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:57 am

Those were my favourites.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:23 pm

Favs:
Booster Gold
Batman
The Atom
Elongated Man
Flash

Least favs:
Spider-man
Aquaman
Robin
Hawkman/Hawkgirl
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Faves (off the top of my head, in no order):
the Beast
Nightcrawler
Hawkeye
Elastigirl (Pixar)
Wonder Man
the Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver (okay, so the Avengers was my favorite as a kid...)
Wolverine (movie)
Tom Strong

Least faves (ditto):
Wolverine (comics)
Superboy
the Punisher
Warlock (alien shapechanger thing)
Martian Manhunter
Zatanna
that intelligent version of the Hulk
all those Iron Age cheesecake heroines
all those Iron Age heroes with ludicrous guns
any scowling "gritty" version of a previously level-headed character
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:59 pm

I want to add a couple to my favorites list (I only listed 8, so this is legal).

Elastigirl from the Incredibles - she's a completely capable woman even without her superpowers. She flies jets and kicks butt and takes charge. One of the coolest superheroes ever.

Dash from the Incredibles - I like the idea of a little-kid superhero. He's totally into being super and loves to show off, but he's still kinda weak on the "hero" half of superheroing. He makes rookie mistakes and still has a lot to learn, but he makes up for his weaknesses with sheer enthusiasm.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:59 pm

The following are my ten favorite superheroes, in no particular order:

1. Cyclops
He's the strong, central, focused leader of the X-Men--and he gets all the hottest girls.

Cyclops is the embodiment of Xavier's dream, the child-made-man whose responsibility it is to pass the lessons he's learned on to future generations. And while he may be plagued with some deep-seated insecurities, what makes Cyclops Cyclops is that he continually overcompensates for them. He needs to be strong for the others; thus, he wills himself to be.

2. Professor Xavier
Xavier is the dream itself. He's Martin Luther King with a dark streak, and it's that dark streak I often find most interesting about him. How many ends are justified by their means? Are any?

3. Spider-Man
The normal--yet brilliant--kid burdened with power and responsibility. My favorite thing about Spider-Man is the way Peter Parker is free when he's in costume. He can trash talk a villain to his heart's content, and yet he still gets picked on by the bullies in high school.

4. Christian Walker / Diamond
What I love about Walker is his pain. He's a quiet, restrained man who used to be free. He used to soar the skies as Diamond, but then, one day--poof. His powers disappeared and he was no longer "up there."

So, what does he do? He becomes a police officer, a homicide detective. Why? Because even if he's not up there, he can still do something.

That's a fuckin' hero.

5. Green Lantern
Ultimately, I've never read much Green Lantern, and the little bits I have here and there have been sub-par. But I always go back to the Emerald Dawn origin story and think about how great a concept it is: Dying alien being pursued by evil being comes to Earth to give his power over to a new protector. Ring seeks out the person with the strongest will nearby, finds Hal Jordan and, at once, he becomes the guardian of an entire sector of the cosmos. Hal doesn't know shit about shit, and yet the ring's on his finger, the evil's still coming and the sector needs guarding. Talk about an "Oh, fuck!" moment. From there, Hal goes to Oa to train, gets his eyes opened to the galaxy and starts to take his place in it.

I always imagined the GL should be more than a "superhero." He should be a higher authority than Superman, only called upon when Earth REALLY needs him.

6. Batman
The badass, brooding, brilliant billionare. Always loved his guilt, his anger.

7. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
I've said many, many times in many, many ways why Buffy rocks so hard.

8. Mr. Incredible
The big, dim lug of a man who's a little too caught up in the past. His mind is always off elsewhere, but when he snaps to it's all about protecting his family.

9. Madrox the Multiple Man
Most of us are constantly at war with the voices in our heads, but Jamie Madrox's are quite real. With the new twist on the character by Peter David, Madrox is never sure which sliver of his personality he's going to get each time he makes a dupe. Could be an angry brute, an effeminite jokester or and OCD scardy-pants. He's even taken to holding "auditions" to see which dupe would be best in a given situation.

Really, really fun stuff.

10. Superman
Because he's the one who started it all. Because when he's written right, it's a story about a man both freed and isolated by his gifts. It's a story about a god who wishes he was a man, and men who wish they were gods.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby austenandrews on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 pm

Can I add Triathlon to my "least favorite" list?
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Next

Return to Comic Books