10 Favorite / Least Favorite Superheroes

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Least favorites.....

Kind of in order, though I switched positions several times which caused a delay in the completion of this list by at least a half hour....

10) Silver Surfer - Does he even have a purpose??? Originally he he just swooshed around on his "surfboard" finding planets to feed Galactus... What a pushover, no mind of his own... Then he was introduced to the world via Fantastic Four... But what does he do?? What is his purpose??? He waent back to space and came back part alien.. WTF??? This guy just cannot be a stand alone superhero...

9) Plasticman - He can stretch and fit under doors... Thats it.... Whoo hoo... :roll:

8... 8) Captain Planet - Nice try... I think it is a noble effort to try and make people environmentally aware but this guy is just stupid.. He has blue skin and a green mullet and his costume is totally g@y... What a waste of really cool super powers... EDIT:WHATS WITH THE COOL GUY SMILEY??? Hahahahaha... NICE!!!

7) The Flash - He is really fucking fast... but that is it... Hello???

6) Thor - This guy just annoys me.. He is just a pretentiously cocky, Fabio look-a-like/wanna-be with a stupid magic hammer... To be honest, I'd much prefer magic helmet... ;)

5) Green Arrow - Is this guy really considered a superhero?? Because I think Robin Hood was a better hero than this schlub... He is an archer who uses special arrows (nothing magical or superpowered about the arrows...just dumb)

4) Squirrel Girl - OMG!!! This is so freakin stupid... She can communicate with squirrels you know.... She really has no special powers other than the fact that she is able to defeat much stronger opponents and no one knows how she does it.... Why, why, why??? I would prefer Monkey Woman from "Who Wants To Be A Superhero" over Squirrel Girl....

3) Robin - Is he even considered a superhero? I guess he is really just a useless side kick.. Whatever... :roll: I cannot stand his whiney little bitch ass.. He has no powers, no gadgets, no brains (he just nods & takes Batmans lead) Actually, all he really does is bring Batman down....

2) Aquaman - The only reason I didnt make Aquaman my #1 choice is because this superhero spawned the great Aquaf@g thread which led me to the zone.... But what does this guy have to offer? He can breath under water & talk to the fishes like some sort of water version of Dr Doolittle... ughhhhh..... Oh yeah... WTF is the deal with his magic hand??? I'm guessing you all can guess what my guess is regarding the use of that hand.... :roll:

1) Green Lantern - Sorry guys!!!! He is the most annoying superhero imo... I mean the guy has no real talent to speak of.. He would be nothing without his precious ring... And how embarassing to have wood & the color yellow be your weaknesses... Seriously... Why wont someone just break his fucking lamp already...??? Or just get me a monkey and a bunch of bananas... :shock:
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:41 pm

Iron Man - Loved the evolution of his armor. Marvel was best at this ... mentally or physically flawed heroes.

Daredevil - loved the change from yellow to crimson tights. Another great, defective hero.

The Thing - Ben Grimm got screwed. And he always got PWN3T by The Hulk. He was my guy.

Batman - guy pulls a gun on The Bat and THe Bat goes ballistic on him. Cuts the dude down with a manhole cover. Neat.

Green Lantern - loved the suit.

Nick Fury/Shield - nice non-super superhero

Wanda the Scarlett Witch- nerd lust

Hawkeye - can't explain

Hawkman - groovy suit...and he could fly

Spiderman - and I'm an arachnaphobe.[/u][/i][/b]
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:52 pm

athenabodicea wrote:1) Green Lantern - He is the most annoying superhero imo... I mean the guy has no real talent to speak of.. He would be nothing without his precious ring...

Not that I'm a massive fan of Green Lantern......but isn't that the same for all superheroes? They all have something which, if you took it away, makes them ordinary.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:55 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:10. Superman
Because he's the one who started it all. Because when he's written right, it's a story about a man both freed and isolated by his gifts. It's a story about a god who wishes he was a man, and men who wish they were gods.

I think a tear just streamed down my face.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:58 pm

4) Squirrel Girl - OMG!!! This is so freakin stupid... She can communicate with squirrels you know.... She really has no special powers other than the fact that she is able to defeat much stronger opponents and no one knows how she does it.... Why, why, why??? I would prefer Monkey Woman from "Who Wants To Be A Superhero" over Squirrel Girl....

IPAMPILASH

Someone needs to make a fricking Squirrel Girl film.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:01 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:1) Green Lantern - He is the most annoying superhero imo... I mean the guy has no real talent to speak of.. He would be nothing without his precious ring...

Not that I'm a massive fan of Green Lantern......but isn't that the same for all superheroes? They all have something which, if you took it away, makes them ordinary.

Take away Batmans gadgets & he still has more gadgets plus intelligence and resourcefulness and money and finely honed martial arts skills...

I think Green Lantern depends way too much on the ring... It is all he has!!!! Which is why I say he is nothing without it... And really, how much would it take to chop his finger off so that he loses the ring? How about we just lube him up with some melted butter (he would become weak from the yellow of the butter) then his ring would just slide off... huh? Then what? What would he do??? He has nothing else....

Sorry again guys... He just really really annoys me and I dont get the attraction to him other than the ring...

Even if we let him keep the ring, my monkey with the bananas would still work ;)

I will agree that the ring is probablly the most powerful weapon of all the superhero weapons.... But any other superhero could learn to use it quite quickly...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby DanielSan on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:26 pm

Gotta go with Whedon on this one. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an awesome superhero.

Honorable mention to David Dunn from Unbreakable.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:45 pm

athenabodicea wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Take away Batmans gadgets & he still has more gadgets plus intelligence and resourcefulness and money and finely honed martial arts skills...

I think Green Lantern depends way too much on the ring... It is all he has!!!! Which is why I say he is nothing without it... And really, how much would it take to chop his finger off so that he loses the ring? How about we just lube him up with some melted butter (he would become weak from the yellow of the butter) then his ring would just slide off... huh? Then what? What would he do??? He has nothing else....

Sorry again guys... He just really really annoys me and I dont get the attraction to him other than the ring...

Even if we let him keep the ring, my monkey with the bananas would still work ;)

I will agree that the ring is probablly the most powerful weapon of all the superhero weapons.... But any other superhero could learn to use it quite quickly...

See, the thing of it is, it's more than the ring. The ring is just the device that connects a GL to this huge, huge cosmic power. It's the most sophisticated badge and gun an officer will ever be given, and once it's on your finger, you're no longer a member of your given species. You ARE cosmic power.

The reason the GLs are chosen is because they have a will strong enough to bear the ring, and the will is key. See, you can try to take the ring from a GL, but as long as their desire to wield it is stronger than yours, you don't have a shot in hell of taking it--no finger-chopping or lubing will help you.

(I'm told there was an Elseworlds tale where Hal or another GL went up against Superman. The GL went to punch him but Supes blocked, and in a flash the ring was on his finger. He later gave the ring to Batman because it was too much power.)

The silly weaknesses toward yellow and wood aside--traits which reek of the Golden Age--Green Lantern has one of my favorite premises in all of comicdom.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:48 pm

athenabodicea wrote:my monkey with the bananas would still work ;)

You have a monkey!?!?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Vegeta on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:00 pm

minstrel wrote:Most hated:

Superman. This guy is just too invincible. I know they made Kryptonite so that he would have a weakness, but all that happened is that suddenly every villain has piles of Kryptonite everywhere just in case Superman shows up, just to make the stories interesting. I hate how he just seemed to acquire new powers whenever it was necessary. I hate the fact that his super-speed is so darn super he can do absolutely anything he wants with it. I absolutely loathe the concept of Superman.

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Yep! I couldn't possibly agree more. In addition to the fact that he's
essentially GOD, and only a deus ex machina contrivace can stop him,
he's a morally pedantic milquetoast / jingoist propaganda symbol.
Essentially he's the Ominpotent Ned Flanders. Worst superhero
character EVER

I must third that one. Superman is just too powerful. Honestly, he should never have problem handling any problem ever...(except getting laid, maybe) if it weren't for that pesky Kryptonite, that is in such an amazing abundance on Earth. :roll: No offense, but he is the lazy fans superhero... "I accept nothing less than GODLIKE of my superheroes!".
Now it isn't fair for me to flame away without throwing up my list so I will try to get to it as soon as possible, but it is obvious that Superman is definetly my #1 least liked.
Last edited by Vegeta on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby The Vicar on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:06 pm

Got to echo the aforementioned sentiments on Supes - its just no fun to have a guy who can't be beat. I guess that's one reason I always gravitated more towards Marvel heroes - they were all messed up, all flawed.
I could relate to them.
Superman?
Not so much.

( well, only during sex......what? That's not funny, you shits...)honestly....I be hung like a monster.....gorram it, stop laughing...
The Vicar

Postby Lurker Johnson on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:11 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Chilli wrote:Zombie - there's this really cool comic out that shares strong parallels with what you just said. It basically has Lex as the good guy, trying to save Earth from the Alien menace known as Superman. Really good look into Lex's psyche, and works damn well, especially with the pretty terrifying images of Supes.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Whats it called? Is it a TPB? I'd
pick that up.

Its called Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Written by Brian Azzarello (writer of 100 Bullets).

It is one of my top 5 favorite Superman stories...even though Supes is a supporting character in it. It is out as a TPB and is really cheap. You would love it.

Another really good Supes TPB is Red Sun where baby Superman lands in Russia instead of the ole US of A. It has Batman as a terrorist and a love affair with Wonder Woman among other things. Lex Luthor also figures very prominently in an ending that can only be described as a Shayamalan(sp?) twist.

That's one of the main reasons why I included Superman on my list. The mythos can constantly be warped into alternatives which put a new spin on the concept of an all-powerful super being.

/My $0.02

Tiny Tim: Good Lists, Every One!
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:14 pm

I must say that I feel that all the talk of Superman being "too perfect" is a little off base. Granted, some writers have made him that way...but a great deal of others have written him different. While he might not be physically flawed...he certainly has to deal with a lot of problems that I can relate with.

Like many characters...it all depends on who is writing him. When Superman is written well (which, sadly, is not all that often anymore) there is no character more interesting.

But I don't really want to make this thread into another superman debate...we had plenty of that when the movie came out.

As for my LEAST favorite superheroes?

Well the only characters that I actively despise are Hawkman/Hawkgirl. I just find them to be silly visually and therefore I can't really invest myself in them emotionally. (I know these are superheroes for gosh sakes...but a guy with wings and a mace is just too stupid even for me).

I never liked any of the Conan type characters either.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:33 pm

I've never liked Storm. I don't know why. The goddess thing is cool to me, as is anyone who controls the weather, but Storm and I have never clicked.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:33 pm

MasterWhedon wrote: See, the thing of it is, it's more than the ring. The ring is just the device that connects a GL to this huge, huge cosmic power. It's the most sophisticated badge and gun an officer will ever be given, and once it's on your finger, you're no longer a member of your given species. You ARE cosmic power.

I dont know...
It is still only a ring... Even better, a battery operated ring... which needs to be charged every 24 hours... Ughhh...
Who protects the superhero while his ring is charging????
The ring is not a permanent part of him... Not something that is fused with his being... Its not something inside of him as with Jean Grey and the Phoenix...

MasterWhedon wrote: The reason the GLs are chosen is because they have a will strong enough to bear the ring, and the will is key. See, you can try to take the ring from a GL, but as long as their desire to wield it is stronger than yours, you don't have a shot in hell of taking it--no finger-chopping or lubing will help you.

Who's to say that some one else might not have a stronger will or desire to weild the ring?

And who's to say that Green Lanterns mind couldnt be easily distracted if someone had a member of his family and was threatening to harm them.... Or what if someone slipped him some drugs... or if a really hot chick flashed him her tits... If his mind is distracted for even a second, the ring would be completely useless... All it would take is that one split second for someone to take that ring from him... Then what???

MasterWhedon wrote: (I'm told there was an Elseworlds tale where Hal or another GL went up against Superman. The GL went to punch him but Supes blocked, and in a flash the ring was on his finger. He later gave the ring to Batman because it was too much power.)

I imagine there are others who could do the same... What if the ring ended up in the wrong hands?? Sounds like something that (logically & realistically) would not be too far fetched... :roll:

MasterWhedon wrote: The silly weaknesses toward yellow and wood aside--traits which reek of the Golden Age--Green Lantern has one of my favorite premises in all of comicdom.

Too many loop holes...
His character has always bothered me...
Sorry Whedo... ;)
Last edited by athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:37 pm

athenabodicea wrote:or flash him your tits...

Excuse me, but isn't that every superhero's weakness?

:wink:

EDT: Weekness? Must stop drinking at work.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Al Shut on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:40 pm

Lurker Johnson wrote:

In some cases it might be the power.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Lurker Johnson on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Al_Shut wrote:
Lurker Johnson wrote:

In some cases it might be the power.

Excellent point. :twisted:
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:44 pm

athenabodicea wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote: See, the thing of it is, it's more than the ring. The ring is just the device that connects a GL to this huge, huge cosmic power. It's the most sophisticated badge and gun an officer will ever be given, and once it's on your finger, you're no longer a member of your given species. You ARE cosmic power.

I dont know...
It is still only a ring... Even better, a battery operated ring... which needs to be charged every 24 hours... Ughhh...
Who protects the superhero while his ring is charging????
The ring is not a permanent part of him... Not something that is fused with his being... Its not something inside of him as with Jean Grey and the Phoenix...

MasterWhedon wrote: The reason the GLs are chosen is because they have a will strong enough to bear the ring, and the will is key. See, you can try to take the ring from a GL, but as long as their desire to wield it is stronger than yours, you don't have a shot in hell of taking it--no finger-chopping or lubing will help you.

Who's to say that some one else might not have a stronger will or desire to weild the ring?

And who's to say that Green Lanterns mind couldnt be easily distracted if someone had a member of his family and was threatening to harm them.... Or what if someone slipped him some drugs... or if a really hot chick flashed him her tits... If his mind is distracted for even a second, the ring would be completely useless... All it would take is that one split second for someone to take that ring from him... Then what???

MasterWhedon wrote: (I'm told there was an Elseworlds tale where Hal or another GL went up against Superman. The GL went to punch him but Supes blocked, and in a flash the ring was on his finger. He later gave the ring to Batman because it was too much power.)

I imagine there are others who could do the same... What if the ring ended up in the wrong hands?? Sounds like something that (logically & realistically) would not be too far fetched... :roll:

MasterWhedon wrote: The silly weaknesses toward yellow and wood aside--traits which reek of the Golden Age--Green Lantern has one of my favorite premises in all of comicdom.

Too many loop holes...
His character has always bothered me...
Sorry Whedo... ;)

See, but every hypothetical you just brought up is even more why I love the character. What WOULD happen if an evildoer managed to take the ring from him? He's a guy given cosmic power, but what happens when he loses the cosmic power and is just a guy? What can he do to get it back?

Those are great stories.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:56 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:See, but every hypothetical you just brought up is even more why I love the character. What WOULD happen if an evildoer managed to take the ring from him? He's a guy given cosmic power, but what happens when he loses the cosmic power and is just a guy? What can he do to get it back?

Those are great stories.

And this is why I dont like him...
He should have some superior training in case the ring fails...
He should have perhaps a place to hide while the ring is charging... A place no one can find him...

I dunno....

Some sort of back up plan.....
I respect his level of morality and the man of integrity that he is but like I said.. without the ring he is nothing...
Why couldnt they just have given him a little telepathic power to use in case the ring was taken from him somehow? Hell, even combat training or some martial arts training.....

He has no special abilities outside of the use of that ring...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:08 pm

So.........what about your monkey?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:16 pm

athenabodicea wrote:And this is why I dont like him...
He should have some superior training in case the ring fails...
He should have perhaps a place to hide while the ring is charging... A place no one can find him...

I dunno....

Some sort of back up plan.....
I respect his level of morality and the man of integrity that he is but like I said.. without the ring he is nothing...
Why couldnt they just have given him a little telepathic power to use in case the ring was taken from him somehow? Hell, even combat training or some martial arts training.....

He has no special abilities outside of the use of that ring...

All very true, which is part of why I love Walker so much.

MasterWhedon wrote:4. Christian Walker / Diamond
What I love about Walker is his pain. He's a quiet, restrained man who used to be free. He used to soar the skies as Diamond, but then, one day--poof. His powers disappeared and he was no longer "up there."

So, what does he do? He becomes a police officer, a homicide detective. Why? Because even if he's not up there, he can still do something.

That's a fuckin' hero.

Walker's faced the dilemma of "I'm a superhero without powers--what do I do?" and answered it with "Whatever I can."
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:20 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:So.........what about your monkey?

Ipampilash!

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:my monkey with the bananas would still work ;)

You have a monkey!?!?

Dont we all?
Little poo flinging guy on a leash who wears a diaper (when he isnt trrying to rip it off)...

I miss Dino.... :(
Last edited by athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Walker's faced the dilemma of "I'm a superhero without powers--what do I do?" and answered it with "Whatever I can."

Absolutely gorram right.
THATS what makes a hero.

The guy who acts, powers or no.

Righteous riff, MW.
The Vicar

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:36 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:All very true, which is part of why I love Walker so much.

MasterWhedon wrote:4. Christian Walker / Diamond
What I love about Walker is his pain. He's a quiet, restrained man who used to be free. He used to soar the skies as Diamond, but then, one day--poof. His powers disappeared and he was no longer "up there."

So, what does he do? He becomes a police officer, a homicide detective. Why? Because even if he's not up there, he can still do something.

That's a fuckin' hero.

Walker's faced the dilemma of "I'm a superhero without powers--what do I do?" and answered it with "Whatever I can."

I totally agree with you on this one....
But this is a different story all together....

Here is a man that was stripped of all he knew... Instead of curling up under a rock and disappearing from the world, he chose to fight and better himself even if he knew he would never be the man he once was... So you gotta ask yourself this???

Will Diamond ever become a good enough man (in his own eyes)? I mean no matter what he does as a mortal will he ever feel like he is as good as he once was after experiencing the power of having superpowers?? Will it ever be good enough?? But the fact that he faces the dilemma head on with a distinct fierceness is very respectible...
This characters entire struggle is very interesting and admirable....

I imagine it is sort of like the struggle a person goes through when they become paralyzed and are trying to learn to walk again.... Some people have that perserverance and some do not... This is the characteristic that defines many....

Also would things have been different if he already had these other skills when he lost his superpowers? Would he not have strived so hard to make something of himself then? Just thinking out loud here...

I dont really know much of Diamond but he sounds like a character I would like to follow.... He is a man to be thought of as a hero even if he has lost his superpowers....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:41 pm

Athena, the book is Powers. Pick it up and you won't put it down.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:45 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Athena, the book is Powers. Pick it up and you won't put it down.

LOL

Yeah... because I'm not spending enough money on comics right now.... hee hee

No, really...
Is it something you can just pick up and get right into?
Or do you need the whole background to understand what is going on???
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:49 pm

athenabodicea wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Athena, the book is Powers. Pick it up and you won't put it down.

LOL

No, really...

The first trade is called "Who Killed Retro Girl?" and it's the perfect litmus for what you'll think of the rest of the series. You really need to start there, as small strands of continuity run through the whole series.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand threadjack over...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:50 pm

@ Master Whedon...

And so I had to check out the rest of your favorites list... I was trying not to read too much in here until I have finished my own favorite list but that is almost impossible....

I thought your list was great and your reasons for supporting each one of those superheroes were very strong... I almost want to kinda like the Green Lantern now... (ok lets not go that far) ;)

Anyway... nice post...
Are you working on your least favorites now??
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:53 pm

athenabodicea wrote:@ Master Whedon...

And so I had to check out the rest of your favorites list... I was trying not to read too much in here until I have finished my own favorite list but that is almost impossible....

I thought your list was great and your reasons for supporting each one of those superheroes were very strong... I almost want to kinda like the Green Lantern now... (ok lets not go that far) ;)

Anyway... nice post...
Are you working on your least favorites now??

Thanks. I'm having trouble with my least favorite list. I mentioned Storm, because I always have problems with her.

The only other one I can think of right now is Bucky, and that's only because I think it's ridiculous for a little kid named Bucky to be running around with Captain America--even worse than Robin with Batman. I know next to nothing of 616 Bucky--love the Ultimate version--but he just rubs me the wrong way.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:59 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:

LOL

No, really...

The first trade is called "Who Killed Retro Girl?" and it's the perfect litmus for what you'll think of the rest of the series. You really need to start there, as small strands of continuity run through the whole series.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand threadjack over...

Technically not a threadjack...
More like a few posts (a little off topic but still) supporting a character on your top 10 favorite superheroes list... ;)

Thanks for the info...
I may just check this out... ;)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:02 pm

Oh, what am I saying?!! Newsarama is posting a page a day of Powers over HERE. There are 14 or so thus far, but they should be doing the whole Retro Girl story.

That'll give you a taste at least.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby raasnio on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:25 pm

Favorites
======

Hellboy

The Tick

Magneto (I know, he's a 'villain', but he stays in my list)

Spawn

Spider-Man

Batman

That's 6. I can't really think of any more at the moment. My list of least favorites would be quite long.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Chilli on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:26 pm

Okay - before I do my 'least' favourites, I'm going to expand on my original post and explain why I chose said heroes:

10 - Nick Fury
We live in a murky time, and said murky time is reflected in comic-books. Classic superhero and supervillain archetypes do battle, often with deadly consequences. With that in mind, how awesome is it that there's an overarching authority such as S.H.I.E.L.D to keep track of the good and the bad when it comes to said abilities. I dig Nick Fury because you get the sense that the guy's seen Hell, but still manages to (mostly) put it aside to make sure the average joe isn't harmed in said battles. He's a leader, a kick-ass soldier, and has an eyepatch.

9 - Kitty Pryde
I'm with Joss on this. Such a great, great character. She's really come into her own during his Astonishing X-Men run, and changed drastically from the little girl Claremont introduced all those years ago. Funny, charming, classy, but also real. She cares about the X-Men, and because she does we care, especially her rather awesome relationship with Colossus (screw Ultimate X-Men's continuity.)

8 - The Thing
The Hulk with a sense of humour. Brooklyn born and raised, effortlessly able to go from comedic muscle to pathos inducing tragic figure. The perfect right-hand man for Reed Richards, whose desire to be some semblance of normal is touching.

7 - Nightcrawler
A Demonic looking Mutant with the ability to teleport and love of swashsbuckling films? What's not to love? The parallels between him and Daredevil (Demonic visage, but born of the faith) are a heavy factor, and through all of this we get one of the most surprisingly poignant comic-book movie roles, even more surprisingly acted by Alan Cumming. His absense was felt by me in X-3.

6 - Beast
An awesome mix between animal and man, possessor of a keen intellect that surely is responsible for the caveman/astronaut debate in Angel 5x15 'A Hole In The World', Beast being at equal turns a genius and a madman, one always ready with a quip and an infectious love of jazz.

5 - Doctor Strange
Powerfully kick-ass deus ex machina magician. Okay, so maybe he doesn't rock his own titles, but as part of other folks story he's pretty damn effective. Much like The Punisher in that regard. Plus it's pretty neat, for me anyway, to have a figure of magical propriety to make sure the comics aren't boringly realistic and remain fun escapism.

4 - Wolverine
The killer on an unattainable path of redemption. What is so fantastic about Wolverine is that he knows in his heart he can't make up for what he's done, and that whatever backstory road they give us, it inevitably leads us to the conclusion that he was bad, perhaps worse before Weapon X experimented on him, and that he's less a victim of that than a cold-blooded monster, ableit one whose useful in a fight and rather brilliantly fighting the good fight because there's nothing better to do. A welcome shade of grey to the:

3 - Spider-Man

Pure goodness of Spider-Man. What I dig about old Spidey is that he genuinely wants to help people, and is so exuberantly passionate about it. Sure there are moments when he falters and ditches the costume, but we never feel it's because he doesn't care, but rather that he simply cares too much. His passion to have some semblance of a normal life is never a weakness or a character flaw in the way that it was (in my opinion) for Buffy, but rather a logical extension of the fact that he mostly puts the city of New York before himself.

2 - Cyclops
This is going to get downright sappy. He's the rock behind the X-Men, the unshakeable core that binds them together. He's a man guided not by emotion, not by logic, but by the belief that they make the world a better place, and that he should sacrifice every thing his gut tells him for the good of the team. He loathes Wolverine, but puts up with him because he knows they need that edge. He loves Jean, but instead of letting that love destroy him when she passes on, he goes to find himself, choosing an inner-peace over potentially hurting the team. He's a leader, a man whose suffered more than most by being unable to see through his eyes without the aid of a visor, but who steps up to the plate whenever he's asked to for the good of the team.

1 - Daredevil
I did a review of Guardian Devil which mostly sums up my feelings towards this character. He's a Saint, a Devil, a Protector, an incredible Lawyer, devoted friend, and capable of some actions which define the word grey. He's been good, he's been bad, but he's always been the darkest character Marvel's had. He's a man of faith dressed as a Devil, and he's lived through more tragedy than anyone... but he still gets up to protect Hell's Kitchen, not for the fun of it but because he still believes in a system that's let him down so many times.

Least Favourites:

I just have one actually. One superhero that I hate above all of the other ones. She's absolutely shite.

Catwoman.

I know, I know... some'll say 'She's a supervillain', but at my last count she's a 'quasi' superhero, and I'm sick to death of her bloody charmless self, and her (okay, it's hot, but still) fucked up costume (which doesn't work a trick in comic-form) just pisses me off.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:52 pm

Faves, no particular order...

Ultimate Thor - Image Long haired hippy psycho, or reincarnated Norse God fighting for the oppressed? After he lights up an invading alien horde, there's this telling exchange...
Fury "SWEET MOTHER OF GOD! I thought this guy was supposed to be a pacifist, man."
Thor "A pacifist with a big, scary hammer, general."

Hellboy - Image A demon with the "right hand of doom" who cracks wise and struggles, mightily, against his heritage. Ever feel like your DNA is "crap", that you're more than your family name...FIGHT IT! Anyone who gets converted to the cause of righteousness 'cuz he had pancakes as a wee lad makes my top list. Having a Hellboy zippo makes me cooler than you, fuckos.

Atom Eve - Image
Red haired uber babe whose beauty is only matched by her sweetness. Her ability to alter reality at the atomic level has led her to Africa, where she creates viable land in drought stricken areas. Love, love, love her.

Allen (the Alien) - Image In Invincible, Kirkman creates a plethora of charming, winning characters and his Allen the Alien may exemplify that best. His homeworld destroyed by the big bad Viltrumites, Allen is a genetically modified warrior who visits non-Viltrumite infected worlds to try-out their best warriors. His stand-alone issue is funny, touching and heartbreaking, and I can't wait to see more of him.

Marvelman - Image Alan Moore reinvented how superheroes were written with his seminal Marvelman. A combination of Captain Marvel and Superman, he's not on this list for what he does / who he is, but rather as the Nietzschean uberman and the terrifying notion of what that personage would be in the real world. Alan Moore is a fucking genius, plain and simple.

Jenny Sparks - Image The spirit of the 20th century, deceased (in favor of Jenny Quantum, the spirit of our nascent century) whose last act was to brain fry a returning "god" who was slightly peeved at the alterations done to his world. A flat chested blond bi-sexual drunk, she remains one of the more brilliant creations from the prolific Warren Ellis.

Jack Hawksmoor - Image Warren might loathe this fact, but he does superheroes like nobody's business. Being a city-dweller myself, there's something undeniably cool about a genetically modified by alien tech dude who can only live in cities, cities who nourish and talk to him. The arc in Stormwatch, set in an alternate earth where Jack fended off an alien invasion remains one of the highlights of Ellis's career.

Martian Manhunter - Image The last martian, one of the most existential characters in superherodom. There's nothing I don't like about this character, shame he'll never be popular.

Tinker (WE2) - Image The amount of empathy that Morrison and Quitely were able to wring from me for a battletech kitty was extraordinary. One of my fave moments in comics, ever, was Tinker leaping atop the mastiff in pure, feral, feline fury.

Jack Jack - Image Cutest little precocious tyke with powers, like, ever. I've seen Jack-Jack Attack at least 10x's, and it gets better with each viewing.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby You Know My Name on Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:40 pm

Favorites:

Batman
Wolverine
Superman (mostly because of the origin story)
Spider-Man
Iron Man
Rorschach
Cyclops
V
Gambit
Doctor Manhattan
MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU.
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby athenabodicea on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:06 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Oh, what am I saying?!! Newsarama is posting a page a day of Powers over HERE. There are 14 or so thus far, but they should be doing the whole Retro Girl story.

That'll give you a taste at least.

Ooooooh!!!

Thanks MW...
I havent been in this thread all day because I am embarassed that I still have not completed my favorite list.... lol

I will definitely check that site out... ;)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Peven on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:26 pm

i never liked Nick Fury. never. maybe that says something about my inherent anti-establishmentism.

Thor and Superman were both too invincible for me to get into. why read the comic when you KNEW they were untouchable? no sense of vulnerability, therefore no sense of suspense or excitement.

aside from the Human Torch, the FF never did much for me. maybe because the comics i read of theirs were too light-hearted, not dark or "cool" enough for me. i liked the Fox animated series years later in the early 90's better, and the Silver Surfer/Galacticus shows were sweet.

Professor Xavier and Cyclops- too goody goody, too by-the-book, too square.

Wolverine- a bit of the Superman thing going on with him, the whole invincibility thing, plus he's a dick. reminded me too much of the bullies i had to deal with on the bus every day with the "since i can kick your ass i am right and better" attitude. (btw, i own the first issue of DD where Wolverine appears, and the cover art is messed up. the coloring dude colored the drawing wrong and has Wolverine' claws coming out of the heel of his hand instead of the knuckles)

Robin-always thought Batman would be better off without him.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby athenabodicea on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:55 pm

I am really trying to keep out of this thread & not read other peoples posts until I have posted...

I am going to just list my favorites in no particular order & without reasons for now... (since I havent been able to narrow it down to 10 yet)

Maybe if I set this in motion I will just finish it.....lol

Wonder Woman
Batman
Spiderman
Phoenix
Hellboy
Hulk
Professor X
Blade
Tick
Wolverine
Cyclops
Rogue
The Crow
Invisible girl
Elektra
Huntress
Hong Kong Phooey
Underdog
Mighty Mouse
Ninja Turtles

There now I have to only cut my list in half.... :roll:
Last edited by athenabodicea on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:04 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Martian Manhunter
There's nothing I don't like about this character.

Even the costume?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:35 pm

Favorites (I'm a whore for the X-Men, obviously, and I'm too lazy to give reasons for all of them):

10. Nightcrawler
9. Iceman
8. The Flash
7. Invincible
6. Beast
5. Colossus
4. Cyclops - When he's written by someone who gets the character (which has been all too infrequent), he's one of the best character in the Marvel stable.
3. Gambit - A suave ladies man with a cool power. 'Nuff said.
2. Jamie Madrox / Multiple Man - Originally I just loved his powers and had only a passing knowledge of the character, but after the Madrox mini made him a noir detective he's completely irresistable.
1. Batman - My favorite since I was a toddler; he's intelligent, cunning, and a complete badass.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:49 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Even the costume?

yo' man, YOU try finding an ensemble that goes with a 6'7'' green frame.

blue, green, red, with a gold belt and large, fancy shcmancy gold clasps for the billowing blue cape give him a magisterial look that was teh shit on Mars.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby banthafodderUK on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:55 pm

my top ten faves:

1: batman (I have a tattoo of him)
2: Superman (I have a tattoo of him)
3: Spiderman (I have a tattoo of him)
4: Green Lantern (I like Kyle - then Hal)
5: Preacher/Cassidy (superheroes? - i think so!)
6: Judge Dredd
7: The Flash (wally west is my favourite)
8: Venom (antihero? - so what!)
9: Captain America
10: Wonder Woman
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:06 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Even the costume?

yo' man, YOU try finding an ensemble that goes with a 6'7'' green frame.

blue, green, red, with a gold belt and large, fancy shcmancy gold clasps for the billowing blue cape give him a magisterial look that was teh shit on Mars.

What do you think of his new costume?

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:08 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Even the costume?

What do you think of his new costume?

Augh! I take it all back. I want the old costume back.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:12 pm

is he the last Dumbledore martian now?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:41 pm

When did J'onn J'onzz join Rob Liefeld's X-Force?
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Previous

Return to Comic Books