The Avengers--NEW! MIGHTY! THE INITIATIVE!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:04 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Iron First is number six and Luke Cage is number seven.

Bendis says that Luke cage is going to be the leader of the group. So who is going to be #8?

Cage as the TEAM LEADER?! SERIOUSLY?!

Someone please check up Brian Bendis' ass and see if you can find his head. I like me some Luke Cage, but the guy's a thug, not a squad leader. Sorry, but this one doesn't fly with me, and I'm usually pretty easy on Bendis.

Bendis has a hard on for Luke Cage. That explains just about everything he has ever done.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:12 pm

A guy in the Newsarama forum wrote this:

Two assumptions...anti-reg's lose the war based on the preview of Luke getting shot at while trying to buy milk, and the Rand Corporation will be secretly funding the New Avengers, thus replacing the need for Stark.

I like it. And part of me likes that Cap will be Ronin (because he will be!), leading the team in secret, but Cage as leader still strikes me wrong.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:19 pm

SPIDER MAN IS NUMBER 8

The cover preview on that page is awesome, Yu is going to make this book unmissable.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:52 pm

As fun as I think that collection of character is, it's really just a list of Bendis' boner-inducers. Still, seeing as he still has about two thirds of the New Avengers in tact, he should be able to further the storylines he started in the first 20-something issues.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby doglips on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm not a massive Bendis fan, or an Avengers fan for that matter, I'm gonna be reading this for Yu alone.

Lets hope it's more Illuminati than Ultimate Power on the Bendis front.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:11 pm

Wow. I was certain that they wouldn't go with Spidey, but I guess I should have seen it coming because in the end it is about sales. Without Cap (maybe he's Ronin maybe he isn't) or Iron Man on this particular team they needed some big enough names to sell books.

My real question is...how is this the Avengers? They seem extremely weak. Who is the strongest member...Luke Cage? It should be a fun team, but definitely not the team I would have liked. The Avengers are supposed to be Earth's Mightiest Heroes teaming up...this certainly isn't that.

I absolutely love the inclusion of Doc Strane and hate it at the same time. That pretty much sums up Brian Bendis though, doesn't it?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:24 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:There are eight in all. Here are my guesses:

1) Echo
2) Ronin (Captain America)
3) Spider-Man
4) Luke Cage
5) Spider-Woman
6) The Falcon
7) Daredevil
8) Hawkeye

Actual:
1) Echo
2) Ronin (Captain America?)
3) Spider-Man
4) Luke Cage
5) Spider-Woman
6) Dr. Strange
7) Wolverine
8) Iron Fist

Granted you had the first two already when you made your prediction, but not bad MW.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Yeah, I never would've gotten those first two though. So actually, I only guessed three on my own. Out of eight.

That's failing. :cry:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:41 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Yeah, I never would've gotten those first two though. So actually, I only guessed three on my own. Out of eight.

That's failing. :cry:

I was going for a "glass half full" thing, but since you mentioned it...

Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:46 pm

HOLY SWEET BUH-JESUS!!

Check out Newsarama's interview with Bendis re: the new team line-up by clicking on the fooking AWESOME cover by Lenil Yu:

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm

I read the interview. The one thing people can't bitch about is the passion Bendis has for the characters. I mean the guy loves and cares about the Avengers. I really hope this comes together and SPOILER holy shit using The Hood!!!! AWESOME!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:53 pm

OMG werez teh Kaptan Amerikaz?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:16 am

Adam Balm wrote:OMG werez teh Kaptan Amerikaz?

He's disguised as Iron Fist, just to piss off MasterWhedon.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:34 am

Echo left out of the artwork AGAIN? Echo is the New Ronin, but opposite.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:46 pm

Newsarama has a seven-page preview up for New Avengers #27, which kinda reveals the whole deal behind Echo/Ronin. Not the new Ronin, but Ronin when Echo was Ronin. Umm...?

I like it quite a bit.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:14 pm

I thought New Avengers was pretty awesome. The issue actually made me care about Echo, which surprised me, and Luke Cage's message to Elektra was just... so awesome.

And man it's so fun to see Spidey in his black costume again.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby doglips on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:42 pm

Yu's art is eyewateringly awesome, I've never read an Avengers comic before and Bendis is not my favourite writer by any means, but that is one great comic..
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:39 pm

Yes, the art was tops, and I didn't even really like the guys work on Hulk v. Wolverine. Too veiny.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:17 pm

Just read the first issue of Mighty Avengers and I tooooooootally dig it. Really, really awesome stuff. A nice introduction to the new team and their new purpose.

And... THE RETURN OF THOUGHT BALLOONS!! OH, MY!

Honestly, I'm not a fan of them in this issue, as Bendis mainly uses them for his "jokey" asides, but the fact that he's including them shows he's trying to make this book a little more of an action-packed throwback.

Good stuff all around, can't wait to read more.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:56 pm

So, uh, how 'bout them New Avengers? Two issues into the post-Civil War universe and this book is already kicking the shit out of everything it did pre-Civil War. I mean, the first few arcs of the book were sooooo uneven in terms of pacing, content and cohesiveness, and now it feels like he's finally smoothed it all out. It's a team book that works as a team book.

Really good stuff. Hope Bendis doesn't blow it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:59 pm

I haven't read the New Avengers but I read the Mighty Avengers and I had a bit of a mixed reaction.

I think bringing back thought balloons could be a good idea, but I hated the way Bendis used them. It just seemes to gimmick-y to me. The art had a real cartoon feel to it, but I didn't mind that at all. It gave the whole thing a fun feel.

Overall, the title has potential but I wasn't really impressed with issue #1. I will check out issue #2, but if the title doesn't show me something after that I am done.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:06 pm

The thing I like about Mighty Avengers is that it's about simple, straight-up superheroing in the modern Marvel U. Sure, it'll deal with the ramifications of Civil War, but it's more about being supercops and saving the public.

Then there's New Avengers, which continues the fight from Civil War in really cool, gritty ways. The War might be over, but the fight ain't.

For all the hullabaloo, the two books really do have two, distinct purposes. And I like that a great deal.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:11 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:The thing I like about Mighty Avengers is that it's about simple, straight-up superheroing in the modern Marvel U. Sure, it'll deal with the ramifications of Civil War, but it's more about being supercops and saving the public.

Then there's New Avengers, which continues the fight from Civil War in really cool, gritty ways. The War might be over, but the fight ain't.

For all the hullabaloo, the two books really do have two, distinct purposes. And I like that a great deal.

After reading MA #1 I have no doubt that the two books serve very distinct purposes. That was one of the fears I had, but I have no doubts now.

However, now that my fears about the need for two titles are put to bed...it is the quality that I question. Bendis certainly hasn't sold me, but Ares had some good bits that kept me intrigued.

I think in the end my problem is with the overall direction that the Marvel U is taking. And that clearly effects the way I view their books.

Still, I was disappointed with the way Bendis utilitzed the thought balloons. Plus, they really did look awkward on the page. It was difficult to navigate.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:15 pm

thought balloons disappeared?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:19 pm

Brocktune wrote:thought balloons disappeared?

Might Avenger's was the first time I have seen them in modern comics since I started reading.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I think in the end my problem is with the overall direction that the Marvel U is taking. And that clearly effects the way I view their books.

Could you elaborate? I'm curious now. What don't you like about the direction the Marvel U is going in?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Yeah, they've been gone for six years or so, I think. They use narration boxes now instead.

And Lecko, I'm with you on the usage in this issue. One of Bendis' problems as a writer is he's too indulgent, and his dialogue often reads as too "writerly." Every time he used a thought balloon, it seemed like him stepping in to give you a jokey aside he was thinking of at the time. Like, Tony and Carol are having a serious conversation and in their minds they're having a goofball sparring match. WTF?! Just didn't work for me either.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:41 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Yeah, they've been gone for six years or so, I think. They use narration boxes now instead.

And Lecko, I'm with you on the usage in this issue. One of Bendis' problems as a writer is he's too indulgent, and his dialogue often reads as too "writerly." Every time he used a thought balloon, it seemed like him stepping in to give you a jokey aside he was thinking of at the time. Like, Tony and Carol are having a serious conversation and in their minds they're having a goofball sparring match. WTF?! Just didn't work for me either.

Yeah. I had the same problems. I think Bendis could really have a lot of fun with this title and I hope he embraces that. Lets put the Civil War drama behind us and have some goold ol' fashioned superhero goodness. That doesn't mean they should ignore Civil War, but soon or later you have to move forward and I hope that time comes sooner. I think once Bendis sees how the first issue read...he will adjust his style. After all, he is relatively new to the thought bubble world as well. He just needs to adjust, thats all.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 10, 2007 1:46 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:I think bringing back thought balloons could be a good idea, but I hated the way Bendis used them. It just seemes to gimmick-y to me.

I'm with you on the usage in this issue. One of Bendis' problems as a writer is he's too indulgent, and his dialogue often reads as too "writerly." Every time he used a thought balloon, it seemed like him stepping in to give you a jokey aside he was thinking of at the time. Like, Tony and Carol are having a serious conversation and in their minds they're having a goofball sparring match. WTF?! Just didn't work for me either.

Yeah. I had the same problems. I think Bendis could really have a lot of fun with this title and I hope he embraces that. I think once Bendis sees how the first issue read...he will adjust his style. After all, he is relatively new to the thought bubble world as well.

I've been doing the catch-up thing with the Avengers titles (New, Mighty AND Initiative!) and I have to agree. I actually like the way that Bendis tries to use them at times, but it also gives him another means of getting a little too precious with his writing. There was a panel in #2 where someone said something 'outrageous' and the thought bubble was Ms. Marvel going "What?!" It's like... seriously? That's the whole thought bubble? Although I did LOL when it showed Ares thinking "Idiot mortals!", and then right after that he yelled out "Idiot mortals!"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:36 am

So did anyone read New Avengers #31?!??! It was being touted as a "universe changing" issue...one that had great ramifications than Caps death. I must say...it was quite bizarre. The issue was basically a bore, but the final few pages...yeesh!

For those not in the know...beware TINY TEXT!

So Elektra was a farking SKRULL!!!!! And Luke Cage and Jessica's BABY is a SKRULL!?!?!?!?!?!? YEAHBUHWHA?!?!?!! ARE THE FARKING SKRULL'S INVADING?!?!?! Are these sleeper agents? Who can we trust? Who is or isn't one of them? Its fucking invasion of the bodysnatchers in the Marvel U. It looks like this has ties all the way back to Disassembeled and Secret War...and may have impacted CIVIL WAR.

After you check out the issue head over to newsarama for an interview with Brian Bendis.

This sounds huge. More importantly, this has HUGE implications for Marvels history. This could be another Clone Sage, but one thing is for sure. Marvel is reinventing their past and playing on what we know about our characters. That is a risky fucking gamble.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:50 am

Very risky, the fact Bendis set this all in motion so long ago is of some comfort I suppose - at least it's properly planned.

We will have to wait for The Illuminati 5 to find out some more plot points.

This poses an interesting question - Could Cap have been a Skrull?

Lets hope that this doesn't turn into some sort of enormo cross over, I doubt bank balances and patience will stretch that far......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:50 am

I like the ideas presented in the interview, but the comic left me with a big "whatev".
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:05 pm

Damn, Bendis seems to like having Luke Cage beat up Elektra. First he kicks her in the groin, then he grabs her by the hair and chucks her across the room.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:46 pm

I liked that. It was like Luke saying, "you can take your fancy pants kung fu and shove it up your twat."
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:41 pm

awww yeah
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:49 pm

it always makes me shake my head how easily comic fans seem to be able accept radical changes made to characters as long as they are made in comic books, but if a filmmaker changes anything in the translation to the big screen there is an uproar.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:00 pm

Hmmm. Why would that be difficult to understand? You have a comic that comes out monthly based on characters that are 40+ years old. Whatever radical changes happen, it is easy to undo. You have ONE SHOT at a movie. If it departs too much from canon, then what's the point of bringing the character to the screen in the first place?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:07 pm

see, i have not read comics for many years, but still have an attachment to the Miller DD run, own most of those issues actually, and reading the above news about Elektra irritates me. it is a little like the 'ol, " so and so raped my childhood" thing. it fundamentally alters the character going back to her inception. if a filmmaker had done something like that with a character the comic geeks would be in an uproar.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Flumm on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Peven wrote:see, i have not read comics for many years, but still have an attachment to the Miller DD run, own most of those issues actually, and reading the above news about Elektra irritates me. it is a little like the 'ol, " so and so raped my childhood" thing. it fundamentally alters the character going back to her inception. if a filmmaker had done something like that with a character the comic geeks would be in an uproar.

Like this one?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:15 pm

9%...

*shudders*
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:26 pm

and look at how that was treated. look, i am not trying to make a huge deal out of it, i just find it a puzzling inconsistency in how comic fans judge these things.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:52 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I like the ideas presented in the interview, but the comic left me with a big "whatev".

Same here. Bendis took the words right out of my mouth in that NEWSARAMA interview:

I’m sure some people saw that, and thought, "What? That’s it? What the fuck have you guys been talking about?"

Despite what he says, I'm getting an aftertaste of retcon from this whole thing.

doglips wrote:This poses an interesting question - Could Cap have been a Skrull?

I dunno, they seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to state irrevocably over and over that it was the real, true Cap. Does that mean he was, or that they were trying really hard to make us think he was?

Another interesting thing brought up in that interview is:
NRAMA: The spell that Dr. Strange performed in issue #30 pretty much cleared everyone of malicious intent.

I strongly disagree with this given Spider-Woman's reaction to the spell. That really bugged me about last issue; "Yes, let's throw down this spell to see if anyone's living with deception toward us, then let's not look around to see who's keeling over afterward."
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:57 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
doglips wrote:This poses an interesting question - Could Cap have been a Skrull?

I dunno, they seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to state irrevocably over and over that it was the real, true Cap. Does that mean he was, or that they were trying really hard to make us think he was?

Also... when Elektra died, she Skrull-ified. I think Cap was exposed long enough to have Skrull-ified himself upon death, although I could be wrong about that.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:29 pm

Ribbons wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:

Also... when Elektra died, she Skrull-ified. I think Cap was exposed long enough to have Skrull-ified himself upon death, although I could be wrong about that.

But what if a Cap was a Skrull from the instant he was reanimated from the block of ice?

And then!

And then, when CapSkrull was shot by the sniper, he shifted his organs to avoid being killed, but he knew he couldn't keep up the ruse so he swapped out Cap's real, frozen body (Cap, naturally, had been dead but preserved on ice since the 40's - I mean, surviving in a block of ice for decades? Let's have some realism here, folks!). Former CapSkrull then took the form of Doop to continue his nefarious schemes.

(Sorry, I'm a bit burned out after reading through the whole Memflix thread).
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Peven wrote:see, i have not read comics for many years, but still have an attachment to the Miller DD run, own most of those issues actually, and reading the above news about Elektra irritates me. it is a little like the 'ol, " so and so raped my childhood" thing. it fundamentally alters the character going back to her inception. if a filmmaker had done something like that with a character the comic geeks would be in an uproar.

But what happened here actually makes the Miller Elektra story all the more poignant again, because most likely THAT was the real Elektra and all the other brought back from the dead Elektra's have been the dupes. But that's just supposition on my part.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:35 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

But what happened here actually makes the Miller Elektra story all the more poignant again, because most likely THAT was the real Elektra and all the other brought back from the dead Elektra's have been the dupes. But that's just supposition on my part.

ok, i see your point there, but if i remember correctly it was some Hand/ninja life-force ceremony that brought her back after Bullseye killed her, when Stick and 3 sidekicks (Stone, Claw, and Shaft i think their names were) helped DD interrupt the ceremony. and then DD finished it, not only bringing her to life but purifying her soul with his selfless love for her( or something to that effect). now, i admit, i haven't read a DD or Elektra comic published since around '92 so i guess i have missed out on other deaths and resurrections of hers??

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The Avengers

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:15 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Avengers--NEW! MIGHTY! THE INITIATIVE!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:37 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Avengers-- Brian Bendis and John Romita Jr

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Avengers--NEW! MIGHTY! THE INITIATIVE!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Bendis Gets Furious with the “New Avengers”
It seems like ever since the team’s inception, chaos and struggle have been part of what it means to be a member of the New Avengers. The team first came together back in 2005 in Marvel Comics “New Avengers” #1 during the middle of a riot at a maximum security prison for super villains. Then, shortly after forming, they were torn apart during the superhero “Civil War,” and when a new incarnation was formed it was forced underground thanks to the fallout from the “Civil War” and the “Dark Reign” of Norman Osborn. During the “Siege” of Asgard the team helped topple Osborn’s rule and undertook one last mission to capture the fugitive super villain crime boss, the Hood, who made their lives miserable for several months.

With the dawning of the new “Heroic Age” of the Marvel Universe a new incarnation of the New Avengers came together and just like before, chaos reigned. That’s because just moments after they formed the earth was invaded by supernatural forces and the group had to give their all to repel them. In issue #7, in stores now, things started to settle down for the New Avengers, but a new struggle and more chaos is on the horizon. CBR News spoke with writer Brian Michael Bendis about his plans for the series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books