Popcorn Comics

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:25 am

I decided to get my superhero fix by reading the New Avengers vol. 1 by Brian Michael Bendis and David Finch. If you follow comics (especially Marvel) then there is no doubt you are familiar with the New Avengers. Considering they have been at the forefront of the latest major Marvel events (Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Civil War)...it is kind of hard to avoid the New Avengers. I just picked up the first TPB...and couldn't help but share my thoughts.

The thing that first popped out at me was how much I really dug David Finch's art. It was just so...fun. The colors just seemed to pop right off the page...combine that with a genuinely fun story by Brian Bendis and it makes for a...well a FUN read.

Bendis and Finch have crafted a giant spectacle of a comic book. Honestly, it reminds me of a Michael Bay movie. It isn't "deep" or "groundbreaking" in any way, shape, or form...its the comic book equivalent of a popcorn flick. The trademark Bendis dialogue is present...I mean there is no doubt that the man can write Spider-Man.

The story is fairly simple...the Avengers have been disbanded for 6 months...Electro is hired to orchestrate the largest super villain prison break in histroy to cover up the escape of a certain villain. This event brings Captain America, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Woman, and Luke Cage together to do what they do best. A simple story...but effective. Buried underneath all of that are the seeds of a potentially rewarding espionage story...it is just enough to thrill and excite and it is definitely enough to convince me to pick up volume 2.

The New Avengers is a fun title...if you don't like Bendis (and I know there are a lot of folks out there that don't) then this won't be the title that will make you change your mind. However, if you are interested in a fairly light read...starring Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and Wolverine...with guest spots by DareDevil, Foggy, The Sentry, Prince Namor, Reed Richards, and Dr. Strange...well this might be right up your alley.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:34 am

Lecko coins an excellent new term - popcorn comics!

I like popcorn comics, knowing that you can sit down and escape life for a while, with no mental effort, is a good thing. Especially if it involves superheroes and funny dialogue.

I'm currently enjoying Rokkin on those levels. It's a really fun read, with beautiful disney-esque artwork.

I might flick through New Avengers in the book shop and then buy it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:39 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Lecko coins an excellent new term - popcorn comics!

I like popcorn comics, knowing that you can sit down and escape life for a while, with no mental effort, is a good thing. Especially if it involves superheroes and funny dialogue.

I'm currently enjoying Rokkin on those levels. It's a really fun read, with beautiful disney-esque artwork.

I might flick through New Avengers in the book shop and then buy it.

HA! You have to love the popcorn comics! Like NextWave Agents of H.A.T.E.!

Speaking of ROKKIN...I had actually heard that it was quite the joy to read. It is a Conan-esque story...correct? Barbarian type stuff?

Wasn't Warren Ellis working on a story like that? I thought I read issue #1 but I haven't read anything since and the name of it escapes me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:50 am

Not sure about the Ellis story, don't think I read anywhere he was doing a fantasy book.

Rokkin is very much a spin on Conan. Issues 1&2 are great, some of the best creature designs I have seen in a long while. Nice backstory and the power that Rokkin inherits is totally BADASS!

I've not actually read NEXTwave yet, for an Ellis fan like myself, that pretty poor! I'm waiting for the TPB. Out soon over here, I think.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:54 am

I think the title of the Ellis fantasy book was Wolkskin or something along those lines. Issue #1 was bloody as all hell as I recall...I just never pursued it after that.

Rokkin is a Wildstorm book? Hm.

NEXTwave is hilarious. It will have you laughing out loud at least three times an issue. Completely and utterly over the top. Ellis shows he has an excellent grasp of wit and humor.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:56 am

Wolfskin I might have to find this......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:59 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Wolfskin I might have to find this......

Yeah that is it...it says it is only a 3 issue mini-series...which is a shame...because from what I remember of the first issue it was entertaining...and wove a pretty deep mythology...

It just kind of slipped off my radar at the time.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:33 pm

Check out some of the artwork for Rokkin 1 - beautiful and badass all at the same time!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:01 pm

I split this from the review thread, because I think it's an interesting little discussion.

What are everyone else's favourite Popcorn Comics?.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:04 am

thedoglippedone wrote:I split this from the review thread, because I think it's an interesting little discussion.

I just remembered another one...

FEAR Agent. It is an excellent Sci-Fi comic book that is extremely over the top...but perfect for fans of good old fashioned science fiction. I STRONGLY suggest picking it up. If you don't want to waste the cash:

READ THE COMPLETE FIRST ISSUE FOR FREE RIGHT HERE!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:03 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote: I split this from the review thread, because I think it's an interesting little discussion.

I just remembered another one...

FEAR Agent. It is an excellent Sci-Fi comic book that is extremely over the top...but perfect for fans of good old fashioned science fiction. I STRONGLY suggest picking it up. If you don't want to waste the cash:

READ THE COMPLETE FIRST ISSUE FOR FREE RIGHT HERE!

I remember seeing the previews for FEAR Agent, thought it looked OK, but after reading the first issue ( thanks to your link ) I will have to check out the next issue.

CYBORG JELLYFISH!! EXCELLENT!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:09 am

It only gets better from here. Glad that you enjoyed the first issue DLP...always glad to turn fellow reader onto an excellent book.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:04 am

For Lecko!

Someone at IGN wrote:Secret Wars, Civil Wars, Infinity Wars…years before these events, Marvel Comics was Atlas Comics with a wide variety of heroes spanning several genres including science-fiction and espionage. Now, in times of a new crisis, some of those heroes have reunited for one final mission, in Agents of Atlas #1.

Led by FBI Special Agent Jimmy Woo, the Agents of Atlas were an odd assemblage of heroes that rescued a kidnapped President Eisenhower almost 50 years ago, disbanding quickly thereafter. Now, threats from the past begin to rise again and the Agents of Atlas must band together once more in all of their Golden Age glory.

Comprised of a spy, a spaceman, a goddess, a robot, and a gorilla, the eccentric members of the Agents of Atlas may be the only thing that can save a world at peril from forces that even S.H.I.E.L.D couldn't handle.

Agents of Atlas is a total popcorn comic. The first issue is a great set up, introducing the team and setting up the backbone for a classic action/adventure/sci-fi yarn. The dialogue is punchy, laced with some very funny one-liners and comedic set pieces - actual toilet based humour, lol, you'll get that when you read it.

Great art by Leonard Kirk, and Jeff Parker has picked a great set of characters from the Marvel Golden Age, all their backstories are there, so you don't feel lost as to who is who and where they originated.

Thanks to Teh Balm for the recommendation.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:39 am

i am bringing this thread back because, well, World War Hulk = the ultimate popcorn comic. Similarly, GL: Sinestro Corps may very well end up being the book of the year and and its cinematic approach made me think that it might bridge the gap into "popcorn comic" territory.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books