TPB/Hardcover Collections and Original Graphic Novels (OGNs)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby unikrunk on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:26 am

Al_Shut wrote:
unikrunk wrote:I don't think you can really compare the two books; apples and footballs.

Watchmen is a deftly layered, incredibly executed work, and functions on a whole other level than any other comic, even Moore's other work.

DKR may not be the best comic ever, but I think it is the best Batman comic ever, well, ties with Year One at the very least.



That's like saying you can't compare them because one is better than the other. Since they're often named in the same sentence like this
Keepcoolbutcare wrote: in 1986, the trifecta of Watchmen, Maus, and DKR utterly revolutionized comics.

a comparison is only natural.


One is not just better than the other, it is in another class altogether. Watchmen is a deconstruction of the superhero mythos, and of the comic book medium itself; it is an academic work, more Joseph Campbell than Stan Lee.

Sure, you can compare them. It is physically possible, without a doubt.

But it’s like comparing Steven King’s Gunslinger (great book), to Jean Paul Sartre's No Exit.

Why would you bother?
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Al Shut on Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:44 am

unikrunk wrote:One is not just better than the other, it is in another class altogether. Watchmen is a deconstruction of the superhero mythos, and of the comic book medium itself; it is an academic work, more Joseph Campbell than Stan Lee.


Let's not get carried away here, an academic work looks different in my book i.e. less pictures and more footnotes.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6223
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Postby unikrunk on Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:37 pm

Al_Shut wrote:
unikrunk wrote:One is not just better than the other, it is in another class altogether. Watchmen is a deconstruction of the superhero mythos, and of the comic book medium itself; it is an academic work, more Joseph Campbell than Stan Lee.


Let's not get carried away here, an academic work looks different in my book i.e. less pictures and more footnotes.


I meant it in a very literal sense; the book is studied as part of many English lit programs - it was voted one of the best 100 novels of the 20th century by Time magazine.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=allan+moore+watchmen+english+literary+courses

/raving fan-boy alert...
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:38 pm

We used Maus in one of my history classes and I would not hesitate to assign it if I was teaching WWII.

Just because something is heavy on the graphics doesn't mean it isn't academic in nature.

If videos or documentaries are acceptable for a college classroom, I don't know why a graphic novel wouldn't be.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:19 am

I'm starting to get the impression that I missunderstood the word academic.

Maybe I was thinking of scientific. :oops:

I agree that comics can be the focus of academic discussion, serve as an exampel for teaching or as a historical document.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6223
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:25 pm

I just finished reading 300 by Frank Miller.

This book is presented beautifully. The hardcover edition that is available out there is really something to behold. The dialogue is sparce...Miller lets the art convey most of the emotions.

Visually, this movie is ready to be made into a movie...the only problem I can see them running into is making the story flow well for the audience.

This is a very cool book. Bloody and beautiful. No one writes a badass like Miller.
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby DennisMM on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:52 pm

A few minutes of scrabbling around on the floor (low bookcase shelves) and scribbling yields these current TPs, OGN HCs/SCs in my library.

Bizzaro Comics SC
Dark Knight Returns HC (1987)
Dark Knight Returns SC (2002)
Dark Knight Strikes Back HC
Batman: Year One HC (2002)
Fallout OGN SC
Ultimate Spider Man v.1 TP
Whiteout & Whiteout: Melt TPs
The Crow TP
Daredevil: Guardian Devil TP
Hellblazer TPs: Hard Time, Good Intentions, Haunted
Avengers Disassembled TP
Captain Britain TP
Wilderness Parfleche OGNs SC
Peep Show: The Poor Bastard TP
Empire TP
Skizz TP
A Contract with God OGN SC
A Small Killing OGN SC
Signal to Noise TP
Greatest Superman/Batman/Joker Stories Ever Told HCs
The Power of Shazam! OGN HC
The Life Story of the Flash OGN HC
Saga of the Swamp Thing v.1 TP
Through the Habitrails TP
The Illustrated Harlan Ellison TP
Vic and Blood TP
V for Vendetta HC
Mr. Punch OGN HC
The Cowboy Wally Show OGN SC
Why I Hate Saturn OGN SC
The Rocketeer TP
Brought to Light OGN SC
The Original Nexus TP
Violent Cases OGN SC
Time²: The Epiphany & The Satisfaction of Black Mariah OGN SCs
The Bradleys TP
Transmetropolitan v.1-10 TPs
The Essential Ant-Man TP
The Essential Hulk TP
From Hell TP
New York: The Big City TP
Daredevil: Love and War OGN SC
Elektra Lives Again HC
Maus SC
Maus II HC
Watchmen limited leatherbound slipcase HC
Complete Ballad of Halo Jones TP
University² TP
Complete Concrete Short Stories 1986-1989 TP
Astonishing X-Men: Gifted & Dangerous TPs
24 Hour Comics TP
The Sandman: Endless Nights OGN HC
Top 10 -- The Fortyniners OGN HC
Showcase Presents: Green Lantern TP
Planetary v. 1-2 HC
Stormwatch v. 1-5 TP
The Authority v.1-3 TP

TP collections are great.
Last edited by DennisMM on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:17 pm

You have the V for Vendetta HC, eh?

Color me jealous.
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Silent Shout on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:21 pm

I just barely got back into the whole comics scene after a 16 to 18 year break. I've collected all of these in the last couple months:

Halo Graphic Novel (searching for this in stores got me looking at the graphic novel sections and peaked my interest)
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again
Batman: The Long Halloween
300
Ronin
30 Days of Night
The Walking Dead 1: Days Gone Bye
The Walking Dead 2: Miles Behind Us
The Walking Dead 3: Safety Behind Bars
The Walking Dead 4: The Heart's Desire
Hellboy 1: Seed of Destruction
Watchmen
The Pride of Baghdad


I've read them all but the last 2, hopefully I'll have them done before the following arrive. I've had these all ordered on Amazon for a week, they've yet to ship for some reason:

The Walking Dead 5: The Best Defense
Batman: Dark Victory
Batman: Hush 1
Batman: Hush 2
Batman: Haunted Knight
30 Days of Night: Dark Days
30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow
Astonishing X-Men 1: Gifted
Astonishing X-Men 2: Dangerous
I just want your music tonight
User avatar
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Utah

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:46 pm

Looks like you are a big Batman fan.

Also, 30 days of night and walking dead...big horror fan as well, eh?

Do yourself a favor and pick up Superman: Red Son. You will not regret it I promise.
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Silent Shout on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Looks like you are a big Batman fan.

Also, 30 days of night and walking dead...big horror fan as well, eh?

Do yourself a favor and pick up Superman: Red Son. You will not regret it I promise.


Right you are on the Batman and horror fandom.

You're the second person to recommend Red Son to me. I will definitely have to check it out, the plot idea sounds quite interesting to me.
I just want your music tonight
User avatar
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Utah

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:55 am

Red Son comes highly suggested for a reason.

I dealt with two years of folks telling me how amazing Red Son was...I finally gave in and read it and boy was I blown away.

It rises so far above the simple premise of "what if Superman landed in Russia". It is a tight story...with gripping dialogue and a lot going on beneath the surface.

I am a HUGE Superman fan...so I never hesitate to thrust some awesome Supes stories onto someone.
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:26 am

This is my small collection:

The Dark Phoenix Saga
House of M
Endsong
New X-Men: E is for Extinction, Imperial, New Worlds, Assault On Weapon Plus, Planet X
Astonishing X-Men: Gifted and Dangerous
We3
300
Mark Millar's Wolverine Omnibus

I've been very lucky--they have almost all come "almost free" via Dennis or were given to me as gifts. :D

More are on order. :oops: My family has started groaning when boxes show up.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:39 am

I got myself an old copy of Memories, an collection of short stories by Katsuhiro Otomo.

I'm really suprised how humorous some of them (roughly 50%) are, some are really funny some rather silly with an arkward sense of humor, both I didn't really expect after reading Akira and Domu.

Otomo also seems to be a bit chaotic sometimes, giving such story introductions as 'I wrote this togerher with somebody else but can't remembe who it was. If you read this please cotact me'.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6223
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Postby DennisMM on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:25 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:This is my small collection:
New X-Men: E is for Extinction, Imperial, New Worlds, Assault On Weapon Plus, Planet X


Were you ever reimbursed for Riot at Xavier's?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Silent Shout on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:22 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Do yourself a favor and pick up Superman: Red Son. You will not regret it I promise.


Picked it up today! Here's the total haul:


Superman: Red Son
Ex Machina 1: The First Hundred Days
Hellboy 2: Wake the Devil
The Punisher: Born
I just want your music tonight
User avatar
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Utah

Postby buster00 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:09 am

Silent Shout, you're going to love every one of those books. Just love 'em.
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Postby Silent Shout on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 pm

Add two more to the list:

Superman For All Seasons (Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale FTW)
The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank


I have another gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket to Borders, hopefully will make another trip back there very soon.
I just want your music tonight
User avatar
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Utah

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:02 pm

IMO that's the best Punisher ever, a fine mix of violence and comedy that Ennis lost soon after the continuing series started.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Silent Shout on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:07 pm

DennisMM wrote:IMO that's the best Punisher ever, a fine mix of violence and comedy that Ennis lost soon after the continuing series started.


Glad to hear it. Punisher was my childhood favorite. After starting to buy graphic novels and getting into the whole comic thing again the past few months, I overlooked buying any Punisher until picking up Born a month ago. As it's not exactly a "Punisher as Punisher" type book, I figured I needed the real deal. This had pretty glowing reviews on Amazon, so I've been looking forward to picking it up. Can't wait to read it.
I just want your music tonight
User avatar
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Utah

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Just to throw in my two cents, check out

Watchmen
Sandman
Sin City
Batman: DKR

The cream of the crop.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Postby Silent Shout on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:09 pm

Picked up a few more today while out and about:


Astonishing X-men TPB 3: Born
Batman: Year 100
Batman: Broken City


It appears I didn't include the last round of things I bought a month or two back either:

Wolverine: Enemy of the State TPB 1 & 2
DMZ: On the Ground TPB 1
I just want your music tonight
User avatar
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Utah

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:12 pm

Silent Shout wrote:Picked up a few more today while out and about:


Astonishing X-men TPB 3: Born
Batman: Year 100
Batman: Broken City


It appears I didn't include the last round of things I bought a month or two back either:

Wolverine: Enemy of the State TPB 1 & 2
DMZ: On the Ground TPB 1


DMZ ROCKS! Enjoy.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Hey, Silent Shout, if you like a good Batman story, you just can't go wrong with the Gotham Central TPBs.

Especially Volume 3: Unresolved Targets. Contains one of the best Joker stories ever.
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Postby Silent Shout on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:36 pm

buster00 wrote:Hey, Silent Shout, if you like a good Batman story, you just can't go wrong with the Gotham Central TPBs.

Especially Volume 3: Unresolved Targets. Contains one of the best Joker stories ever.


Thanks for the recommendation, I've actually never heard of that series. I'll have to look into it.
I just want your music tonight
User avatar
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Utah

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:40 pm

Silent Shout wrote:
buster00 wrote:Hey, Silent Shout, if you like a good Batman story, you just can't go wrong with the Gotham Central TPBs.

Especially Volume 3: Unresolved Targets. Contains one of the best Joker stories ever.


Thanks for the recommendation, I've actually never heard of that series. I'll have to look into it.


Sigh. It was short lived. It really made the Batman universe richer.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:48 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Silent Shout wrote:
buster00 wrote:Hey, Silent Shout, if you like a good Batman story, you just can't go wrong with the Gotham Central TPBs.

Especially Volume 3: Unresolved Targets. Contains one of the best Joker stories ever.


Thanks for the recommendation, I've actually never heard of that series. I'll have to look into it.


Sigh. It was short lived. It really made the Batman universe richer.


The cool thing about that series is: It's some of the best Batman stuff ever put on paper, yet Batman himself doesn't actually appear in the series that much.
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:29 pm

bump.

From a locked thread.

djcribage wrote:I'm looking for suggestions for a new tpb to read. I have never really kept up with what's out there, I just go to stores and pick up what looks cool or what I have heard is good, so I'm sure theres alot I have missed.

I'm looking for something different, out of the big marvel/dc/etc universes (although I do love the various Ultimate titles). Recently I REALLY enjoyed we3. I have heard Y: The Last Man is great, and I also need to check out Hellboy.

I suppose I'll list what I've really liked in the past and see if anyone can recommend stuff based on that:

-Pretty much any Alan Moore but especially League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
-we3
-The Ultimates, Ultimate X Men, Ultimate Spiderman
-Gen 13
-the Dreamwave Transformers (G1 and War Within mainly. NOT Armada)
-30 Days of Night (story was great, didn't love the art though)
-Pretty much any Frank Miller (havent read Robocop, is that any good?)
-Devil's Due GI Joe
-Superman: Red Son
-Road to Perdition
-I Am Legend graphic novel adaptation.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:45 pm

Essential Starters
- The works of Alan Moore (not just the serious shit, get down with Tomorrow Stories and Tom Strong)
- Hardboiled – Darrow and Miller
- Dark Night Returns – Miller
- Batman: Year One – Miller
- Maus – Spiegelman
- Anything you see the name ‘Mike Mignola’ on
- Give me Liberty – Miler and Gibbons
- Martha Washington Goes to War – Miller and Gibbons
- Old copies of RAW (if you can track them down)
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby djcribage on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:56 pm

yeah my original post got "bumped" to here cuz I have no idea how things work on the internetz. Although, I must compliment the efficiency of the moderators, I am in awe of their speedy actions.
djcribage
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: Hollywood, CA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:58 pm

djcribage wrote:yeah my original post got "bumped" to here cuz I have no idea how things work on the internetz. Although, I must compliment the efficiency of the moderators, I am in awe of their speedy actions.


heh, no worries dj. We have so many existing threads that we try to continue to use them instead of creating new ones, whenever possible. It makes the place a little easier to navigate that way. The search function (see link to the search page above) isn't perfect, but it can be helpful to see if there is an existing thread on whatever topic you wish to post about.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:59 pm

djcribage wrote:yeah my original post got "bumped" to here cuz I have no idea how things work on the internetz. Although, I must compliment the efficiency of the moderators, I am in awe of their speedy actions.


hey - no harm no foul, right? Welcome to the zone, I listed some ideas for ya, seems you are off to a good start already; red son kicks serious ass.

:wink:
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:04 pm

I've recently gotten into Miller's Elektra collections. I thought Elektra: Assassin was a wonderfully sick mind trip, and Elektra Lives Again was all sorts of sad. I only wish I'd read it in the quiet of my own home and not while at the hair salon. There's times the stream of consciousness style just seems like a cop-out ("Er, I don't know how to get Elektra from point A to B, so I'll make her into this nun.") but it's a nice puzzle to put together.

Plus I got the original hardback of ELA for maybe $10.00, mint condition, what a steal.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby Chilli on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:06 pm

Daredevil: Guardian Devil.
Sin City
Deus Ex Machina
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:08 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I've recently gotten into Miller's Elektra collections. I thought Elektra: Assassin was a wonderfully sick mind trip, and Elektra Lives Again was all sorts of sad. I only wish I'd read it in the quiet of my own home and not while at the hair salon. There's times the stream of consciousness style just seems like a cop-out ("Er, I don't know how to get Elektra from point A to B, so I'll make her into this nun.") but it's a nice puzzle to put together.

Plus I got the original hardback of ELA for maybe $10.00, mint condition, what a steal.


DAMMIT, I have been trying to find a TPB of Assasin! Comic book guy told me it not in print; make Mongo mad.

I love the beast-milk stuff in that series, and most of the sheid operative's wigs.

/BEAST-MILK
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:18 pm

unikrunk wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I've recently gotten into Miller's Elektra collections. I thought Elektra: Assassin was a wonderfully sick mind trip, and Elektra Lives Again was all sorts of sad. I only wish I'd read it in the quiet of my own home and not while at the hair salon. There's times the stream of consciousness style just seems like a cop-out ("Er, I don't know how to get Elektra from point A to B, so I'll make her into this nun.") but it's a nice puzzle to put together.

Plus I got the original hardback of ELA for maybe $10.00, mint condition, what a steal.


DAMMIT, I have been trying to find a TPB of Assasin! Comic book guy told me it not in print; make Mongo mad.

I love the beast-milk stuff in that series, and most of the sheid operative's wigs.

/BEAST-MILK


I've been trying to find one of Assassin too and haven't gotten lucky like I did with Lives Again. :? Keep checking Abe's Books, I have really good luck on there finding out of print TPB's--unlike Amazon, it's usually little independent bookstores who are cheap and honest about the condition.

I haven't had much luck with Amazon when it comes to older and out of print books, they're too expensive for battered copies. :x
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby Colin on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:21 pm

I don't think Guardian Devil was very good. Not a very well-constructed story. Art-wise it was fantastic, however.

I do think if you were to 'start' someone on comics you'd obviously have to give them something simple and easy to read. I just shake my head when someone tries shoving Watchmen or Dark Knight returns in some novice's face. Most times it's a girl too. Fucking tools.

I would probably give someone Bone in the smaller paperback editions, not the one giant volume. When you give someone a giant dictionary-monster looking thing they could get intimidated and not want to start. A long-running serial like Bone, which is available in the shorter collections too, gives the person a chance to invest themselves in the characters, with a very rewarding ending.

But again it really depends on the person, doesn't it? I'd much rather give someone something like WANTED or Warren Ellis's RED before starting them on Preacher or Transmetropolitan.

The key is to start small. Bone is a perfect example of starting small, and evolving into something epic.
Image
User avatar
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:25 pm

Colin wrote:I just shake my head when someone tries shoving Watchmen or Dark Knight returns in some novice's face. Most times it's a girl too. Fucking tools.


Image
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:31 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Colin wrote:I just shake my head when someone tries shoving Watchmen or Dark Knight returns in some novice's face. Most times it's a girl too. Fucking tools.


Image


pwnt?
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Flumm on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:31 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I've recently gotten into Miller's Elektra collections. I thought Elektra: Assassin was a wonderfully sick mind trip, and Elektra Lives Again was all sorts of sad. I only wish I'd read it in the quiet of my own home and not while at the hair salon. There's times the stream of consciousness style just seems like a cop-out ("Er, I don't know how to get Elektra from point A to B, so I'll make her into this nun.") but it's a nice puzzle to put together.

Plus I got the original hardback of ELA for maybe $10.00, mint condition, what a steal.


DAMMIT, I have been trying to find a TPB of Assasin! Comic book guy told me it not in print; make Mongo mad.

I love the beast-milk stuff in that series, and most of the sheid operative's wigs.

/BEAST-MILK


I've been trying to find one of Assassin too and haven't gotten lucky like I did with Lives Again. :? Keep checking Abe's Books, I have really good luck on there finding out of print TPB's--unlike Amazon, it's usually little independent bookstores who are cheap and honest about the condition.

I haven't had much luck with Amazon when it comes to older and out of print books, they're too expensive for battered copies. :x


As a relatively unsullied, comic book non-reader, ( AKA pre-Zone), Elektra: Assasin was the first TPB I ever picked up.

It seduced me from the neglected bottom shelf of a second-hand shop (thrift-store?) book-alcove, ( the usual haunts I go to in any given dead end town and browsing for random reads).

I have to say, having nothing but a scattering of comic reading from my youth, it kind of blew me away.

As Colin says, it depends on the invidual and their own sensibilities I guess, but I savoured finding something so rewarding and obviously above the 1980's microwave cooking recipie books, Windows 95 for Dummies, and tupperware journals it was buried with.

Being thrown in the deep-end, in my case at least, was a drowning worth having, I'd say.

All the more so now I realise how lucky I was to even spy a copy in the first place...

(I'd lend it out to you in a hearbeat, Uni, if the big drink wasn't hampering my man Mustaffah's wheels)

In regards to the book itself - the latter stages of it appeal less to me, I 'spose, although the motifs like the Demon Milk are definately to be savoured, but that first chapter I think is a perfect amalgamation of susinct story set-up, origin-telling, myth-making and general artistic hutzpah.

It's devisive, undoubtedly, but the functional in funny-booking is just as an artful craft to master, and (in form and function), I think it sells it kinda beautifully, I really do.

As a whole, I still just pick it up regularly from the book shelf by my bed (notably devoid of tuperware journals - they get their own air-tight chamber in the underground library, natch), and flick through it, random panels neon-lasering crazey-wonder patterns into the back of my skull.

It's perhaps a primo prize to land on someone potentially unrepsonsive to it's charms, but if they were a curious enough kitty to be genuinely interested in the first place, I would encourage 'em anyway...

Worked for a Zoner or three...


EDIT: It's lacking verbage, but to tide you over untill you get the Uni-Glider to work, 'Krunk... Stick It.
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:31 pm
Location: Yesteryonder

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Flumm - sweet! Thanks for the linkage

EDIT: this page needs no words:

Image
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:51 pm

I bought the first issue of Elektra Assassin back in the day. I left it (bagged & boarded) on the back of my dad's car.... and forgot about it. He left somewhere, it fell off in the road, and many cars drove over it. By the time I found it, there were so many gravel indentations on the cover.
My dad's response - "Good thing you had it in that bag, huh?".
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:45 pm

I think Elektra: Assassin was Sienkiewicz's finest moment. Who else could have drawn the stuff Miller threw at him?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby unikrunk on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:36 am

DennisMM wrote:I think Elektra: Assassin was Sienkiewicz's finest moment. Who else could have drawn the stuff Miller threw at him?


Not even Frank, and he knew it; it is very infrequent that an artist is able to capture the essence of a writer’s vision, and transcribe it into images that tell that story sans words. You can look at any of Sienkiewicz's character work here, and know the history and motivations of the character with no words to lead you.

I am having trouble finding the correct way to articulate this thought; he verges on 'mid-way characture’ in order to portray thought and intent, leaving Miler free to work on the plot rather than fill in little thought bubbles with text.

Does that make any goddamn sense? Christ its early; more coffee.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Chilli on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:52 am

Does that make any goddamn sense? Christ its early; more coffee.

Perfect sense. Gonna order it online through y'all recommendations.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:27 am

DennisMM wrote:I think Elektra: Assassin was Sienkiewicz's finest moment. Who else could have drawn the stuff Miller threw at him?


Some of us also fondly remember the Claremont/Sienkiewicz run on "The New Mutants." Arguably one of the best mainstream comic book collaborations from the 80s that has been forgotten by the masses.
User avatar
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:55 am

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 am

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:Some of us also fondly remember the Claremont/Sienkiewicz run on "The New Mutants." Arguably one of the best mainstream comic book collaborations from the 80s that has been forgotten by the masses.


The Dino, he remembers, eh?
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:57 am

Those are the only New Mutants issues I saved when I culled my X-books. I have more X-kiddies issues than actual X-Men issues if you discount the Whedon TPs.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:22 am

I was at the library today and I got to read the first half of the book "Elk's Run". Has anyone here read it? I know that it was extremely critically acclaimed in its first run...it ran into some publishing issue and only just got them resolved.

The story, for those interested, is basically centered around a small, former mining town in West Virginia called Elk's Run. Right from the start you realize that this is no ordinary town. It was set up by soldiers who served in Vietnam and were sick of the way that the outside world treated them. Their behavior is strange and their rules are very strict. The main characters are three teenage boys who are a part of the second generation of Elk's Run citizens. They didn't sign up for this life and they certainly don't like it. A freak accident sets events in motion that will push them to try and escape.

It is a very quick read (I got just over halfway through in about an hour) but what I read was very well written. I can't wait to go back and finish reading it.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:49 am

I'd heard of it, but never really investigated it. The fact you like it and all the reviews I've just been reading are solid means I will be picking this up. Looks like the art is nice too.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron