Are AICN comics reviews getting lamer?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Are AICN comics reviews getting lamer?

Postby JackKnight on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Not to flame the a-holes, but does it just seem like we're getting less and less every week?

Last week there were no reviews that I could find. Then Monday we get a review of the Seven comic. Then today we get an a-holes column almost entirely devoted to Bryan Vaughn's new book Pride of Bagdad. No diss to Vaughn, I'm sure it's a good book, but there have been alot of comics that have come out over the last few weeks and I always look forward to the reviews.

Am I off-base here or do some of you other comics fans feel like we're getting the short end of the stick here?
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:10 pm

Jacky! Welcome back!

I think it's at least partly an issue with the administrators. Squashua reposted his Atom #3 review here because AICN wouldn't take the time after running a bad version of the review to insert the links they left out. But they do seem to be running fewer reviews of late.
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:16 pm

I wouldn't say the sky is falling yet. The quality does tend to ebb and flow over time and I am disappointed that some of the @$$-holes have stopped reviewing altogether, but I think they've got a good group right now and they'll bounce back soon enough.

I will admit, though, for a week that saw the release of new issues of Civil War, Runaways, and Astonishing X-Men (among many others), today's was a pretty weak column.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby JackKnight on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome Dennis. It's good to be back. Spent most of the summer away and am now playing catchup.

I'm sorry to hear that the reviewers are having issues with the admin. I can't say I always got alot out of the reviews (a-hole roundtable anyone?) but they were always entertaining and gave a good look at what was out there.

Anyway, good to see you again Dennis.

Thanks.
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Squashua on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:16 am

DennisMM wrote:Squashua reposted his Atom #3 review here because AICN wouldn't take the time after running a bad version of the review to insert the links they left out. But they do seem to be running fewer reviews of late.

That's not exactly correct.

First, there were site issues last week. The comic reviews for last week ended up missing the front page and going straight into the "already posted" bin. The problem stems from the fact that ABSOLUTELY NONE of the items listed on the front page get posted with timestamps / dates. If they were, we could distinguish them as individual posts.

Click here for last week's reviews.

Second, I did not bother to ask the-powers-that-be to add the relevant links that were missing from my review. I made the assumption that if last week's reviews were not significant enough to hit the main thread, then why in the world would the-powers-that-be want to put additional effort into fixing said omissions? The links were there when I submitted my review and were gone when the review was posted. In order to remedy this (and to draw some iota of attention to last week's reviews), I posted the original version of my review in the most appropriate place I could think of: the Comic Books section of the AiCN forums.

Thirdly, I didn't submit anything to this week's reviews because I was under the impression that, since I didn't see last week's reviews posted, we were possibly being treated as unwanted step-children. This is my own opinion and I definately do not speak for other @$$holes. As the talkbacks for last week's comics show, it was posted on Saturday, September 16th, not necessarily on time, but it was available; it just never hit the main thread and was therefore disregarded by the majority of readers. @$$hole Ambush Bug attempted to make up for this oversight by referring to last week's reviews in this week's column.

I plan on submitting a number of mainstream reviews this weekend, but as evidence shows, I tend to put more words into my writing than there are in some comics, so we'll see. Thank you for your continued patronage. I'm glad someone is reading us. :-)
Squashua
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 am

Many apologies for my misunderstanding, Squashua. Thank you for correcting.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Squashua on Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:25 am

No problem. If you'd like to bring this thread to the attention of the-powers-that-be, I'd be much obliged because though I am but a lowly servant, I'm pretty much the lowest of the low.
Squashua
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:44 am

Can anyone submit comic reviews (in the same way film & TV opinions are) ?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:11 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:I will admit, though, for a week that saw the release of new issues of Civil War, Runaways, and Astonishing X-Men (among many others), today's was a pretty weak column.

I think they're always a week behind though, right?

I only skim the @$$holes' reviews most of the time, but I have noticed that there are a lot of new reveiwers and that a lot of veteran ones have disappeared altogether. I'd give them some time to adjust, as others have said. It's possible they're just going through a transitional period, as is the main page in general.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:13 pm

I second Fried Golds question

And I too was saddened by the lack of comic goodness! I hope its not the NEW AICN? Because it was those reviews that really helped me get back into comics!

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Squashua on Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:53 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Can anyone submit comic reviews (in the same way film & TV opinions are) ?

I'm sorry, but as far as I know, no they do not accept outside submissions.

I'm new to the @$$holes as of a few months ago. I had not been writing reviews, but I was providing my opinion and had expressed interest in reviewing at least a year earlier. I was eventually recruited after a very rigorous process and it still hurts to sit.
Squashua
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby JackKnight on Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Squashua,
Thanks for the clarifications. I guess if there is a transitional thing going on it makes sense that things might get lost in the shuffle.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this rigorous process. Sounds pretty wild, lol.

As for reviews by anyone, there is a thread in here where you can post your reviews.
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 pm

Ribbons wrote:I think they're always a week behind though, right?

I honestly have no idea. Sometimes it seems they have reviews the day/week of, sometimes it seems they're a week behind.

Then again it could be they've always been a week behind and I've just been clueless about release dates. :oops:
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby JackKnight on Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:15 pm

Alright...it's wednesday...where's the a-holes column? More server issues? Did they forget to feed the gerbils again? ;-)
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:57 am

JackKnight wrote:Alright...it's wednesday...where's the a-holes column? More server issues? Did they forget to feed the gerbils again? ;-)

Ask, anna ye shall receive, eh?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30213
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bamf on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:32 am

I thought the review of CW #4 was off. Prof. Challenger came off as just really bored with comics in general. Maybe he’s been reading for to long. So why review something you wont read? Let me explain myself though.

I am new reader to comics. Started up last year in August. IC was a bit boring, confusing, yet strangely interesting to me. Before I took the plunge into this weekly bleed of my money I had read every article by Professor Tipton at comics101 on moviepoopshoot. It was a great way to pass time at work. And helped me feel a little more comfortable jumping into years of continuity. I picked up random stuff as a kid, but never invested fully into it.

Civil War has been one fun read for me. It has leaded me to pick up books for characters I didn’t care about just to see where the story would go. I’m so happy that I chose this past year to get into it all because it’s been a hell of a ride. So after I read the CW#4 review I got the impression that the only reason I liked it was because I didn’t know any better. Or maybe I’m just not so jaded on the genre.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:39 am

Well, as a longer-time reader he does have a different perspective on it than you, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's bored of it. I think he thinks of the characters in certain ways that someone without the baggage of continuity wouldn't. I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bamf on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:48 am

I respect that he does have far more knowledge then I. It just seems like if it displeases him this much, maybe its time to walk away for awhile.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Return to Comic Books