Holy Shit!! Anyone else read ASTONISHING X-MEN #12 yet?!!

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Holy Shit!! Anyone else read ASTONISHING X-MEN #12 yet?!!

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:06 pm

Please note, there will be SPOILERS. You have been warned.

I don't know if there are words for just how fucking good that issue was, for how perfectly it wrapped up the "Dangerous" arc while driving serious character progression for EVERY character and shaking the very foundation of the X-Men's world.

Xavier is no longer infallible. In fact, he might be something of a monster. YES!! THIS is the Professor Xavier I've always imagined. They've hinted at it in the past, that there's something less than pure always lurking beneath the surface. Morrison started to reveal a great deal of it in his New X-Men run, but THIS FUCKING ISSUE is what does it. He's a greater good thinker and he's become hardened over the years. Gotta cracks some eggs to make an omelette. Perfect characterization.

And Colossus' accusation at the end is sooooo strong, all leading up to the line "You understand why that's a problem for me." GOD! It kills me.

I LOVE that Emma has been (it appears) evil all along. Can you fuckin' imagine the throwdown between her and Scott--better yet, between her and Kitty--when this shit comes out? Emma leaving during the battle and the splash at the end perfectly continue the threads started in issue #6. And am I wrong or was that Cassandra Nova sitting in the middle of the Hellfire Club? Very interesting...

Cyclops is my fuckin' hero. He's grown to be such a strong leader, developed his own backbone instead of constantly falling back on Xavier's. Now he questions his teacher, he considers that maybe the team will have to go out on their own. He lashes out at Emma for leaving. HOLY FUCK, was this good.

Wolverine's Fastball Special line--"Yeah, I killed a city once. Funny story."--was PRICELESS.

Beast is turning into a beast, but without the Claremont-like exposition. Instead, we SEE him attacking like a fucking animal. GOD!!

Kitty Pryde is my hero. Little old her is the one who saves the day. Leave it up to Joss to make her the team's strongest asset. "That all you got... bub?" And that conversation with Colossus on the battlefield was so beautiful.

Goddammit, I cannot wait until January for the next issue. This is my favorite comic book out there now and quite possibly the best the X-Men have ever been.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:44 pm

Any chance you could let us know what the issue was about? Sounds awesome, though.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:46 pm

I haven't read ANYTHING except the New Avengers for a long time, and I only read that sporadically when I'm getting a coffee at B&N. Sounds like I'll have to pick up some back issues, this sounds interesting.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:07 pm

For you, Burl, anything.

Astonishing X-Men #12 Synopsis

SERIOUSLY DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

Basically, it picks up with the X-Men joining Xavier in Genosha after he just disassembled Danger and she "awoke" the monster Sentinel that killed the 16 million mutants way back when.

Kitty saves the crew from a ginormo energy blast by phasing them all through it. Scott also notices that Emma knows a bit too much about the Sentinel, more than she should.

Hank gets the Professor out of there and gets into a one-on-one with a reassembled bird-like Danger. He gets into a vicious fight with it and goes pretty damn feral (lots of cool stuff here). It ends with Xavier checking on him and Hank looks up, over his fallen prey and snarls, "MINE." Beast goes beastly.

The Sentinel launches a bunch of little killer robots at the crew while it recharges for its second mega-blast. The team fights them off and Emma disappears, walking down into a hidden room and talking with some shadowed figures. They say she'll be able to drop her charade soon and she says "Thank God for that." She then rejoins the firefight.

Kitty devises a plan for Colossus to Fastball Special her up into the Sentinel so she can fuck up its internals. She finds a manual override and opens up a memory file that Danger blocked when she gave it "life." (Note: this mega-Sentinel is now somewhat sentient.) It was the memory of killing 16 million mutants in Genosha, so the thing slowly withdraws and flies away. Kitty says the human mind can't process a number tha big, but he can. "He wants to be alone right now."

Then the other shoe drops.

Xavier says he's very proud of his students. And Colossus says, "You knew." Xavier says he won't probe his mind after all that, so say it. (Little backstory if you haven't read the whole "Dangerous" arc: when Xavier upgraded the Danger Room with Shi'ar technology, it became a sentient being that eventually became Danger.) Peter says in the last issue, when he was holding Danger's head in his hands, she spoke to him, said Xavier knew. "What did she say to you?" Xavier hangs his head. "Where am I?" When Danger first became sentient all those years ago, Xavier knew but kept her trapped. Colossus says, "You understand why that's a problem for me." (He was kidnapped after he "died" and experimented on by Ord of the Breakworld for years.)

Xavier says that he needed to train his teams. Mutantkind was at stake. Wolive says "You been hanging out with Magneto, Chuck? 'Cause that shit sounds an awful lot like him."

Xavier says he can't expect them to fogive him, but Cyclops says that 's exactly what he expects, that they'll all come around like always. His line is something like "You figured we've taken it from the sapiens for so long, why not dish it out to the AI?"

Emma tries to defend Charles some, but Cyclops rounds on her and says the only thing he wants to hear from her is why she walked out in the middle of a firefight. Then their plane gets there and an end narration picks up.

Says Scott and Emma are broken up, that the team is splintered and that Scott learns to trust no one yet again. They say something like "Nothing lasts forever."

Splash page of Sebastian Shaw and the rest of the Hellfire Club (along with, I believe, Cassandra Nova). "Hellfire does."

Fuck.

Yeah.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:17 pm

The Hellfire Club will never be the same with out Harry Leland. So fuck'm.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:36 pm

when does the next run of Astonishing come out, and will it start at issue 13 or #1???

I heard they were doing 12 more issues.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:22 pm

Sounds like this would make a great tpb......
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:35 pm

It's in the TP Dangerous, which includes Astonishing X-Men 7-12.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Brocktune on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:41 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Wolive says "You been hanging out with Magneto, Chuck? 'Cause that shit sounds an awful lot like him."

can they actually say "shit" in xmen these days? because if so, thats what i had always hoped for. i never really believed wolverine would say "cripes" or "flamin".
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:47 pm

They're using more suggestive characters like $**+. I'm not saying that's actually what Whedon used, but it's representative. Sometimes "fuck" starts with the sign for the British pound, £, so it suggests an f.

My favorite is one I've seen at ABC, I think: $#!+.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:56 pm

For the record, Whedon used "@#$%&."
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby cinephile2000 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:52 pm

I love the TP thats one of the only comic books I have. I am a pure Joss Whedon fan. He should have written and directed the third movie. He fits the comic so well because of his ability to write groups convincingly.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:44 pm

cinephile2000 wrote:I love the TP thats one of the only comic books I have. I am a pure Joss Whedon fan. He should have written and directed the third movie.

Well seeing how they're auditioning actors by reading from his run on Astonishing, I think he kind of is....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books