Random Comic Books

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Random Comic Books

Postby brendonconnelly on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:21 pm

wonkabar wrote:This a thread where you spout-off random thoughts about anything about comic books or anything related to comic books without having to start a new topic or search for an existing discussion. Think of it as the "general interest" of comic books.

My local comic-shop totally sucks! :cry:

Check this out.

They're going to kill my friend.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:22 pm

Badass. He's the Harry of comics after all...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brendonconnelly on Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:16 pm

Maybe they should say that they are going to use Kevin Smith as the basis for his appearance, then wimp out and use some... er...

Somebody we don't know.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:18 pm

BTW, Comic Book Resources has a preview article up on this..

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=7105
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brendonconnelly on Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:48 pm

Wonder when we'll get to see the cartoon Rich?

The one in X-Flies is something I will never, ever forget.

No matter how hard I try.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Building The Ultimate Collection

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:03 am

IGN's comic book section has posted an article which lists all of the TPB/Graphic Novel's that are essential to your collection.

There are a lot of them on there...but it is definitely worth a look!

You can view the article here

This should definitely help me find some interesting new stuff to read.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Random: Comic Books

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:05 pm

This a thread where you spout-off random thoughts about anything about comic books or anything related to comic books without having to start a new topic or search for an existing discussion. Think of it as the "general interest" of comic books.

My local comic-shop totally sucks! :cry:
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:22 pm

My local comic shop is not local, so I don't get to go much :cry: :cry:
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:28 pm

We're a local comic shop. For local geeks.

Buy em online from thecomicguru.com.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:52 pm

It really breaks my heart that the price of comic books is so high. When the weekly comic (52) is supposed to be a bargain at $2.50...well it is just a shame.

Sorry...I am just frustrated.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:55 pm

It is an expensive hobby nowadays.

I don't mind parting with any amount of cash for quality, but I get pretty annoyed when I pay out for mediocre work.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Yeah, comics are too expensive. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I almost prefer waiting for the graphic novel....but then again, I sometimes wait an hour after a show just so I can TIVO-thru the commercials. Yeah, I'm that guy.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:11 pm

When I started buying comics they cost 12 cents. I bought my first comic out of a vending machine in SFX airport.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby doglips on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:11 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:My local comic shop is not local, so I don't get to go much :cry: :cry:

REJOICE! A MIRACLE HAS OCCURRED!

A comic shop has opened in my town! I'm going weekly, YAY!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:56 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:My local comic shop is not local, so I don't get to go much :cry: :cry:

HAPPY DAY! YOU SHALL DRINK FROM THE KEG OF VICTORY TONIGHT!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:06 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:

Huzzah! Grab a drink and prepare for new comic Wednesday!

I live in a city of 110,000 and we have two comics shops (Mile High had a location here but closed at least ten years ago). One shop is strictly comics and related merchandise. The other is as much about games and anime as comics. The traditional shop plods along, doing enough business for its owners to make a quiet living. The bigger shop is up for sale to anyone who will put up $20,000 -- and assume more than $75,000 in debt.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby doglips on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:44 pm

Just finished DMZ 12, wow, Wood really is a fantastic writer. Such a lot of thought has gone into planning the DMZ itself, he can really take this series anywhere he wants to.

Body of a Journalist was excellent, two six story arcs in and Wood has only just begun to scratch the surface of a brilliant concept for a book. love it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:46 pm

I am glad that someone else is also on board for DMZ.

Wood has entered my top 5 active writers at the moment. Local and DMZ are both top notch.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:47 pm

Yeah, Local is next on my 'lecko recommends list'.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:50 pm

HA! Well I really think you'll dig it. Let me know when you get a chance to check it out.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:55 pm

I found out my local Borders carries comics. So now I don't have to take the hellish, mind-numbing drive down to Mile High Comics.

But I am not sure how current their stock is, like if they will get in Warsong--they had Aeon Flux comics from 2 years ago...but at least I can get Astonishing there.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby doglips on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:58 pm

I just read the first Astonishing trade. I will be buying all the others tomorrow. Whedon's writing is great but Cassaday is the main pull for me, that is one good looking book.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:03 pm

You are 100% correct about Cassaday. His art is just awesome.

That being said, the writer alright too. :wink:

Glad to hear you can pick up some stuff at Borders LS. I don't know what I would do if I didn't live near a comic book store.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:48 am

So I just finished the 2nd & 3rd INVINCIBLE trades.

I love this book.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Jaka on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:02 am

I miss Elfquest. I know, I know! Where the hell did that come from? Right? Well, I just re-read the original b&w magazine size run. Thinking about busting into the first collected color trades next. I miss GOOD Elfquest being released on a regular basis, dang it. It's one of the comic books that was with me from my youth into my adulthood and every once in a while it bums me out that people don't much care about it anymore. It was important, once upon a time....
You couldn't run a close second with some clocks on your feet.
Jaka
GLIB

Postby doglips on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:52 pm

So, I am in comic debt to Mr Ostentation himself, KCBC.

Casanova 1-6 - my brain just melted. Thankyou, Sir.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:32 pm

Not been to a real comic 'con' in a long time. I mostly pursue decent silver age stuff myself. Any good Spiderman from the 70s usually fits the bill. The modern stuff I just don't get. But as my collection stands at 6 big boxes, I think I'd be safe in saying maybe my collecting days are done, altho who knows?
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:07 am

The dates for WizardWorld Chicago have been announced; August 9-12.

Anyone gonna be in the Chicagoland area planning to attend? I'm seriously thinking about going.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:08 am

buster00 wrote:The dates for WizardWorld Chicago have been announced; August 9-12.

Anyone gonna be in the Chicagoland area planning to attend? I'm seriously thinking about going.

I will be going. If you go we should try to get a meet-up together. Perhaps Vicar would be willing to join in as well.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:14 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
buster00 wrote:The dates for WizardWorld Chicago have been announced; August 9-12.

I will be going. If you go we should try to get a meet-up together. Perhaps Vicar would be willing to join in as well.

I'm hip, mang. The whole calendar's ahead of us, but a bud and I are making tentative plans to be there this year. Will be in touch!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:51 am

buster00 wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I'm hip, mang. The whole calendar's ahead of us, but a bud and I are making tentative plans to be there this year. Will be in touch!

Been going there every year except last year. Put me down for a definite, um, maybe.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:57 am

thedoglippedone wrote:So, I am in comic debt to Mr Ostentation himself, KCBC.

whoo-hoo!

pretentious, pompous, blustery, bloated bravado, sure, but never that!

thedoglippedone wrote:Casanova 1-6 - my brain just melted. Thankyou, Sir.

if only my taste were as good as my writing :(!

fuck, if only my writing about my taste were as good as my taste :oops:...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:11 am

You know what ticks me off about alot of comic shop owners and fans?

They hate comics.

They read them and live them, obsess over them, and all they can do is compalin and hate them.

Now It really drives me mad with the comic shop owners. I don't want to buy a book and have some 40 year old virgin tell me how horrible it is and rant on about comics of the past and how everything I buy sucks. They are supposed to be a buisness. What other buisness owner will sit there and tell you that the product you are buying is sub-standard? Don't they want our money?

No comics aren't the same as they were in the 60's. They have evolved. I love golden and silver age stuff, it's just not the same thing as today. The writing has evolved to bwe much more advanced, and the stuff that worked for a 12 year old kid in 64 just isn't waht an adult in the 21st century always wants to read. Why do they claim to be fans and hate it?

That just drives me up a wall.

Comic fans are the most fickle bitchy and sensitive people on earth. They seem to get a know it all attitude and can't see outside of comic book world. God, comic guys drive me nuts. They have been chasing me out of comic stores lately. It's not like they can draw or write better than the stuff they complain about. My opinion is that if you can't do better then keep your mouth shut.

OK I'm done with the random rant.

Oh and this doesn't go for all comic fans just the ones I described.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:38 am

Shane wrote:You know what ticks me off about alot of comic shop owners and fans?

They hate comics.

It's been said a million times before, but never as perfectly as that.

Well done, sir.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:43 pm

I know Burl is reading, but has anyone else picked up X-23 : Target 1&2 yet? Great book.

The perfect mix of teenage angst and extreme violence with some stunning artwork from Mike Choi. As beautiful as it looks though, this comic's brilliance comes from Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, they are really shaping Laura into a perplexing and lovable character. If this book gets better as it goes it will be up there with Runaways as some of the best teen superhero writing around.

MW, if you have not read this yet, get it now - you'll love it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:13 pm

Nexus is coming back! There's been a full-page ad in the last two issues of Previews, but no solicitation copy. My comics retailer told me he's spoken with Mike Baron (who lives either in town or nearby) and Baron says it ships in June!

I'd call Baron and give him a big old verbal kiss, but he might remember me describing much of his secondary work as "meretricious" in a review many years ago. Most likely not -- he probably wouldn't remember me in spite of my rather distinctive name -- but there are some parts of my pre-treatment years I prefer to leave in the past.
DennisMM

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:20 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:I know Burl is reading, but has anyone else picked up X-23 : Target 1&2 yet? Great book.

The perfect mix of teenage angst and extreme violence with some stunning artwork from Mike Choi. As beautiful as it looks though, this comic's brilliance comes from Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, they are really shaping Laura into a perplexing and lovable character. If this book gets better as it goes it will be up there with Runaways as some of the best teen superhero writing around.

MW, if you have not read this yet, get it now - you'll love it.

i have actually been reading this book.

it actually reminds me a lot of an anime called "Elfen Lied". its about this girl who science created to be a killer, but she is just a young girl at heart. and one day, she escapes. although similar, they are different enough that they are both well worth the time invested. i loved the anime, and am loving X-23. if you have the means, you may want to check it out.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:23 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:MW, if you have not read this yet, get it now - you'll love it.

Yeah? I've never been that into X-23. And I need to get back into New X-Men. I picked up the first arc back when it started and thought it was HORRIBLE--like, unreadably bad. I hear Kyle & Yost are doing good things with it though.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:47 pm

Phew... thank god I am not the only one enjoying this. I appreciate how dark the series is. I wish I had the balls to stand up in a biology class and list off the 427 ways you could kill a human.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:56 pm

why do i have the feeling that she will end up butchering her friend?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:21 pm

I don't get that vibe, but that would make it REALLY sinister.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:25 pm

maybe it was just wishful thinking. :twisted:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:29 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Phew... thank god I am not the only one enjoying this. I appreciate how dark the series is. I wish I had the balls to stand up in a biology class and list off the 427 ways you could kill a human.

haha, that and the french lesson were excellent.

Brocktune wrote:why do i have the feeling that she will end up butchering her friend?

I hope not, she's hot.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:49 pm

For those interested, the current New X-men storyline dovetails nicely with the X-23 mini. In the latest issue, which is the second of four parts, Laura has some stellar moments.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Shane wrote:Then I've got Godland this amazing retro- flash back.

Shane ain't kidding, and even though I could've sworn it was someone else who gave a shout-out to this gobsmacking bit of comic ingenuity ( :wink: ), I, at the behest of my favorite comic shop clerk, who, when he noticed that both the gf and I were giggling ourselves silly over the pressed on picture and caption on his red t-shirt, which consisted of a headless figure cradling it's noggin' in a jar whilst brandishing a gun and exclaiming "Violence is the new black!"...where was I?

Oh yeah, so while he was wringing us up, he said, simply, "Godland". Vaguely (so fucking vague I couldn't recall just who mentioned the tome) I replied with the standard "oh, I heard that was good" (which, of course, ='s "ring me up monkey!") but then he went on about how "Godland" is where both the design and the quote came from. Hmmm...intriguing. Could this surly comic book nerd, who I know also digs on The Venture Brothers and baseball (aka, my kind of surly comic book nerd), be onto to something here? Was there something a notorious taste-onista like myself could possibly have missed I asked myself with existential dread? I had to find out!

Lo' and behold, Godland is the fucking real deal. A pull quote from the back from "Ain't it Cool News" (aka some @sshole...wish they would say which one, ya' know? Like if it said superhero or squasha I would just ignore it (j/k...kinda)) does a fairly adequate job of summarizing part of this comics dervish delight...

some @sshole wrote:taking Kirby as a genre...and presenting an original concept within that genre...

...but I assume that's mostly from the art that evokes King Kirby at his most cosmic. Not being all that familiar myself with Kirby's writing (for shame!), I don't know to what extent Godland either homages and/or parodies da' King, but I do know what I likes, and Joe Casey and Tom Scioli have tapped the vein into my juvenile, dope addled mind that adores the silly, the fun, the meta, the bizarre and just plain loopy.

Characters mentally comment upon their own cheesy dialogue ("why am i verbally taunting this thing?! Am I such a poseur I can't help myself?"), the narration by the author is often comically cross cut with anachronistic glee ({heroine scales remote castle} narration - Her thoughts hum like a finely-tuned engine of action..."ain't no mountain high enough") of the big bads, the aforementioned head in a jar with a penchant for mind altering substances from the far edges of the cosmos, Basil Cronus, is an absolute hoot, there's maximum cheese guised as plot moving family melodrama, a pain inflicting humanist villainess with a predilection for perverse torture, a cosmic talking dog...and I'm just scratching at the surface of this now 15 issue bit of comic gold.

BUY THIS BOOK!

ooh, wait, I can even tie some of this together...remember how I mentioned The Venture Brothers? If you read Basil in The Monarch's voice, if you read Adam Archer with a Bud Manstrong inflection, your god, it's even funnier! The sensibilities of both ventures (heh) are remarkably similiar, in that the can both be seen as loving gestures to their respected influences.

see what I did there? Tying things together like that? keepcool, gonzo tho' he may be, still packs a critical wallop!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:29 pm

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby doglips on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:20 am

Damn, I've had the first trade in my comic box for a couple of weeks, but keep putting off actually buying it because other books present themselves before me. I'll go pick it up today.

I think Colin said he'd read it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:59 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Image

my review was so lame a one panel picture pwnt the whole thing.

really, that one image sums up the comic far better than my meager scribbling...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:49 am

Does anyone else here read CHECKMATE? It is an excellent political espionage book.

Check it out if that type of stuff interests you. It is one hell of a book. Greg Rucka is slowly winning me over as a writer.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:14 am

So Lecko, I finally read '12 reasons why I love her' *melts*
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Next

Return to Comic Books