Random Comic Books

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:53 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Has anybody ever read Can't Get No by Rick Veitch.

I just picked it up today, but haven't started.

:shock:

doglips did not stop talking about it for a whole year. If you look hard enough you'll find his review and his numerous comments. He absolutely loved it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:57 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Has anybody ever read Can't Get No by Rick Veitch.

I just picked it up today, but haven't started.

:shock:

doglips did not stop talking about it for a whole year. If you look hard enough you'll find his review and his numerous comments. He absolutely loved it.

That could be who recommended it. I forget as it's been so long.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:01 pm

After our very short (computer dying on me) talk, sfg, I have requested it through Interlibrary Loan. Thanks for the prompt. I've been meaning to request it for more than a year.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:30 pm

DennisMM wrote:After our very short (computer dying on me) talk, sfg, I have requested it through Interlibrary Loan. Thanks for the prompt. I've been meaning to request it for more than a year.

Glad to be of service Dennis.

I am over half way through it at this point and will probably finish before I leave work this evening. So far I have been loving it. It's very dreamlike with the poetry commenting on the panels action but also managing to stand on it's own.

Up next is From Hell.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

*pant* *pant* *pant*

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Oh sweet lord, I love me some shambling monstrous swamp monsters. So thank god this comes out this week:

DEAD OF NIGHT FEATURING MAN-THING #1
COVER BY: KAARE ANDREWS
WRITER: ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
PENCILS: JOSE ANGEL CANO LOPEZ
THE STORY:
Biochemist Ted Sallis and his team are on a mission: To recreate the serum that spawned the world's first super-soldier. But like the swamp itself, there are dangers lurking beneath the surface...Ted's partner Eric, his girlfriend Ellen, the government, terrorists...everyone wants what Ted has, but what Ted doesn't realize is...the swamp itself may want him! A radical re-imagining of the Man-Thing's origin begins here, in a horror-tinged tale narrated by Digger, keeper of the Tower of Shadows!
Cardstock Cover/Explicit Content…$3.99
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:46 pm

man, that Man-Thing sure looks an awful lot like Swamp-Thing...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:27 pm

wt?

Are you blind? Besides Man-Thing was first.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Zarles on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:30 pm

A friend of mine lent me 'Death In The Family' to read the other day, and I gotta say that whoever had the idea to make Joker the U.N. ambassador to Iran is either a freakin' genius or a complete nutball.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Zarles wrote:... whoever had the idea to make Joker the U.N. ambassador to Iran is either a freakin' genius or a complete nutball.

I'm going to opt for "misunderstood genius." Like Frank Miller.

burlivesleftnut wrote:Are you blind? Besides Man-Thing was first.

I will never pass up an opportunity to post the phrase "Giant-Size Man-Thing #1."

I want "Giant-Size Man-Thing #1" printed on a t-shirt.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:05 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:wt?

Are you blind? Besides Man-Thing was first.

They first appeared only a month apart, not enough time for DC to copy Marvel, though the Swamp Thing of 1971 was the Victorian-era creature. Also, Gerry Conway (Man-Thing creator) and Len Wein (Swamp Thing) had been sharing an apartment for a while before each started writing about swamp monsters that grew from chemical-soaked murdered scientists. In any case, both were copies of Hillman's The Heap.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:14 am

HE WAS STILL FIRST!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:25 am

Yes, he was. You are correct, sir.

ETA: Steve Gerber, co-creator and primary writer of Man-Thing in the '70s died Monday from pulmonary fibrosis. He was 60. More information in The Official RIP Thread.
DennisMM

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:18 pm

Web comic about Steve Gerber

and the follow up about Alan Moore

Pay attention to the bottom of the strip! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:00 pm

"Retcon yourself." :lol:
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:23 pm

He was a bad ass. Man-Thing! Oh how I love and want to fuck your putrid shambling ass! Bye Steve!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:11 pm

!!!

Just got The Question vol. 1 in the mail. I know what I am doing tonight.

Can't wait.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:39 pm

It is very much of its time, but generally

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

9/10 smiles.

If you're a student of martial arts you should enjoy the way the artists handle the violence.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:56 pm

So, I didn't get to spend much time with The Question at all. Hopefully, that will change as I get some of my homework done this week.

The other good news? Look what else arrived today:

Criminal vol. 1 + 2
The Killer HC
Nightly News TPB
Y; The Last Man vol. 4

I am going to have some solid reading experiences coming up!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:56 pm

I just read through Absolute Batman: Hush for the first time. I love pretty much all things Batman related (evidenced by the constant Bat-avatar), but I was really digging this story and Jim Lee's art. Good stuff all around.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I just read through Absolute Batman: Hush for the first time. I love pretty much all things Batman related (evidenced by the constant Bat-avatar), but I was really digging this story and Jim Lee's art. Good stuff all around.

This was the first comic book I ever bought. It holds a pretty special place for me because of that.

Plus, Jim Lee's art is pretty kick ass.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:53 am

Two items of interest from the February Diamond Previews:

Page 217: Helen Killer #1. I'm sorry, but this is in very poor taste. No black humor or cutting commentary from what I can see, just an excuse to haul an historical personage into a comic book and screw around with her.

Page 427: American Flagg! Limited Edition Hardcover book set. If you've got eighty bucks to spend, I recommend you spend it on this set. You get the first nine issues of American Flagg! - the first three story arcs. These are some of the greatest comics ever. Ever. EVAR.

Sex. Drugs. Television. Politics. More Sex. Big Guns. A talking cat. Really cool uniforms. And more sex. American Flagg! was better than Swamp Thing, though I didn't realize it at the time. Buy these frakking books!
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:30 am

Happy birthday, Kal-El.*

*During the Silver Age, Superman's birthday was said to be February 29, that being the day the Kents found him.
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:11 pm

This may interest some of the UK'ers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrKGOXAH_us

PARTWORK!! FIRST ISSUE ONLY £2.99!!!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

2008 Wizard World LA - Keith Arem on ASCEND

Postby MondoPest on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:07 pm

From GamingShogun:
...We also got a brief moment to speak with PCB Productions' Creative Director, Keith Arem, regarding their upcoming Ascend graphic novel. Keith also mentions the company is planning to develop Ascend into a video game but would not divulge the developer or publisher at this time.

There is an interesting video segment with the Creative Director of the company behind Ascend at the source. Personally, I have not had the pleasure of reading these comics but I think I will start. The concept sounds pretty dang sweet. Plus, the whole idea and visual style of these comic seem to lend themselves to a video game pretty well!

If anyone has read them, what did you think?
MondoPest
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:16 am

So I decided it was time to catch up on THOR. I find the new JMS series kind of boring, but having never read a Thor comic in my life I had nothing to compare it too. So I did some research on classic Thor runs and decided to read Walt Simonson's work on the book.

After only two issues I can already say that it surpasses the new JMS version. And no I am not being biased because the first issue of Walt's run starts off in Grant Park (kudos to Marvel for showing Chicago some love)...I swear I am not. Beta Ray Bill? Totally kick ass. And Walt sure knows how to write those Norse Gods. Looking forward to continuing on with Walt's Thor.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:04 am

I'm not minding JMS's take on Asgard. It's in keeping with his style of storytelling, though it is taking longer to get off the ground than I expected. It's certainly more interesting than a lot of the Thor comics from when I was a kid. Certainly, I'll admit, it lacks the POW! factor of Simonson. His arrival was quite a shock at the time. Wait until you reach the ribbit story.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:12 am

DennisMM wrote:I'm not minding JMS's take on Asgard. It's in keeping with his style of storytelling, though it is taking longer to get off the ground than I expected. It's certainly more interesting than a lot of the Thor comics from when I was a kid. Certainly, I'll admit, it lacks the POW! factor of Simonson. His arrival was quite a shock at the time. Wait until you reach the ribbit story.

Don't misunderstand me, I do feel that JMS has most certainly had his moments. The first issue was extremely well written, the throw down with Iron man, and this latest issue especially. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my original post. JMS should have done away with this first storyline sooner instead of stretching it out as much as he has. If things had progressed at a better clip I have no doubt it would be one of the better books being released by Marvel. However, the snails pace paired with the constant delays have all but killed this book dead. Hopefully, the latest issue is a sign of things to come.

I am just loving what Simonson did. So epic in scale. And the supporting cast is enjoyable as well. There is this strange humor involved as well. In the first issues, it has been kind of masked, but it is most certainly there. Can't wait to keep on reading!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:31 am

Guggenheim and Jackman are creating a comic for Virgin!

Jackman and Guggenheim Creating Nowhere Man
Source: Variety
March 25, 2008

Hugh Jackman (upcoming X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and "Eli Stone" co-creator Marc Guggenheim are teaming with Virgin Comics to create "Nowhere Man," an original comic book series that is designed to be transferred to the big screen as a Jackman vehicle.

Variety says the story was being kept under wraps, but Jackson's Seed Productions partner John Palermo said it features a protagonist reminiscent of the one Will Smith played in I Am Legend. The concept is a futuristic world where mankind has traded privacy for safety, a premise that sprouted with Seed, Virgin CEO Sharad Devarajan and chief creative officer Gotham Chopra.

"This is our first comic, and we feel the concept is transferable to other arenas, perhaps first as a video game, and then a movie," Palermo said.

Said Jackman: "I've had so much fun in the graphic novel world with the 'X-Men' franchise that I wanted to get even more involved. I'm excited to work with Virgin and Marc and create a compelling character and story that hopefully will also make it to the big screen."

"Nowhere Man" will be published under the Virgin Voices line.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:35 am

NPR's "Morning Edition" had a piece Tuesday morning on creators from other media who have started writing comics. They talked to M.F. Grimm, the rapper; Jodi Picoult, who writes popular fiction that seems to be aimed at women; and Joss Whedon. Whedon said he got into comics because his father was head writer on The Electric Company when they started doing "Spidey Super Stories." His dad was given some reference material, came home with a big stack of Marvel comics and dumped them in Joss's lap.
DennisMM

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Standing in the comics shop today I was wondering what to pick. Still not sure the dealer came up and said, read this, handing over a copy of 100 Bullets First Shot Last Call. So I bought it. Was it a good buy?
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby StarchildAD on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:47 pm

Good buy.
StarchildAD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Now you'll get sucked in and stuck buying the next ten TPs. [evil laughter from DC and your comics retailer]
DennisMM

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:22 am

I just picked up Superman: The Dailies (1939-1942), by Siegel and Shuster, at Borders for $8. A nicely massive hardcover coffee-table book, 554 oversized pages. It's listed for $20 online at Borders and Amazon, but my local Borders store had a stack of 'em at the front all marked down to $7.99.

You might want to check your local store if you're interested.

I also just noticed that both stores also have the full-color Superman Sunday strips available for $14.95, hardcover.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:51 pm

What luck! I was at an estate sale over the weekend and managed to find a copy of "Shocking Crime Tales" #8, from 1952, pre-Comics Authority days.

Notable for its "prurient" stories, this one features a story by Wallace Gray called "Metro City Lolita". It has art by Steve Ditko ("one of my fondest projects" he has recalled), and is notable for his rather graphic art (for the time) of a 14-year-old runaway lurking in subway stations, targeting older men, seducing them, and then stabbing them to death for kicks and money.

Bloody, trashy, and sexy... everything you love about pre-code comics!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:02 pm

SCAN!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm

I would but my scanner is fucked. :sad:

I'll see if I can find it online.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Mail it to me and Ill scan it...

Heh heh...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:54 pm

Anyone have $100,000 to spare?

A "VG" rated copy of Action #1.

Now, according to Wiki, there are only 5 copies rated VG or above. This is pretty cool.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Anyone have $100,000 to spare?

Now, according to Wiki, there are only 5 copies rated VG or above. This is pretty cool.

It's 90k now :D
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:

It's 90k now :D

It says "Reserve not met". Wow. I might just watch that auction in the last ten minutes, tomorrow evening. There might be some serious bidding action!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:15 pm

I, too, will be watching the auction. For shits and giggles.

Also, the Judge in the Superman case issues a new ruling.

Extremely interesting stuff. Hopefully, they settle in the next 60 days.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Random: Comic Books

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:00 pm

Didnt Mark Hamill own one of theses at one point???
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby LaDracul on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:20 am

I found a cool photo shoot from the May issue of US Vogue which is based on Marvel and DC-
Gautier's rocket bra strikes again!

EDIT-The features in that issue are all comic-book related. Gwyneth Patrow is on the cover with Iron Man's helmet and also in a spread with metal-inspired evening gowns and Tom Welling in a Daily Planet-inspired shoot.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 12, 2008 10:36 pm

Whoever told me that all the Sandman spin-offs were worthless cash-ins needs to be strung up by the balls and made to read all the Lucifer trades until they change their mind. I'd have loved to have known how good they were around about the time I read the Sandman trade featuring Dream of the Endless' death. Reading these would have seriously helped me get over my grief better. Mike Carey's done a bang-up job extending what seemed like a boundless world even further. Who'd have thunk an ex-schoolteacher would have had it in him? Hell (:roll:), I'd even venture to say than in the third trade, Dalliance With the Damned, he actually surpasses much of Sandman.

I'm not finished yet, so I guess it could still all slide downhill (sorry to say it, but when The Invisibles rejigged its format two thirds of the way through its run, it may have gained more readers, but it seemed to lose its way in the process), but I can at least wholeheartedly recommend the first 5 trades to any Sandman fans, or just anyone who wants a good read.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Mark Evanier is on NPR's Fresh Air today talking about his biography of Jack Kirby.
DennisMM

Postby Al Shut on Wed May 21, 2008 2:21 pm

As soon as I saw the title of the thread a random thought struck my mind (with a chance I already said it somewhere).

Either I have severe misconceptions about a) Supermans character or b) what's happening in the comic or "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" is the worst comic I've ever read. It's burn your collection and never read comics again bad.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby buster00 on Wed May 21, 2008 2:59 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Whoever told me that all the Sandman spin-offs were worthless cash-ins needs to be strung up by the balls and made to read all the Lucifer trades until they change their mind. I'd have loved to have known how good they were around about the time I read the Sandman trade featuring Dream of the Endless' death. Reading these would have seriously helped me get over my grief better. Mike Carey's done a bang-up job extending what seemed like a boundless world even further. Who'd have thunk an ex-schoolteacher would have had it in him? Hell (:roll:), I'd even venture to say than in the third trade, Dalliance With the Damned, he actually surpasses much of Sandman.

I'm not finished yet, so I guess it could still all slide downhill (sorry to say it, but when The Invisibles rejigged its format two thirds of the way through its run, it may have gained more readers, but it seemed to lose its way in the process), but I can at least wholeheartedly recommend the first 5 trades to any Sandman fans, or just anyone who wants a good read.

I'm going to be forced to turn in my geek card for this, but I've barely ever read any of Gaiman's Sandman books.

I have, however, read the Lucifer trades, and they are indeed excellent.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Al Shut wrote:As soon as I saw the title of the thread a random thought struck my mind (with a chance I already said it somewhere).

Either I have severe misconceptions about a) Supermans character or b) what's happening in the comic or "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" is the worst comic I've ever read. It's burn your collection and never read comics again bad.

Angry reactions often don't make for good fiction. The self-righteous stance against The Authority conveniently ignored all of the positive aspects of the book and the team. That didn't surprise me. Superman's way of dealing with the team did surprise me, because it wasn't at all fair, and Superman if nothing else is not a cheat.
DennisMM

Postby SilentBobX on Wed May 21, 2008 6:11 pm

Just a random thought I'd had for the longest time, needed to commit to the permanent record.

Lately I'd been feeling a bit nostalgic for these small comic cons I used to attend in the Delaware area circa 1988-1992. These were mostly held in a hotel ballroom near certain little islands of commerce. Namely, the Concord, Christiana and Granite Run Malls.

I loved these cons cause they weren't populated by narcissistic obsessives, but rather those among the populace who appreciated comics, and would rather talk among ourselves about the incredible potential these characters had for movies and such. Not to mention, it was a great place to secure autographs, mostly for free. Chuck Dixon, Tom Lyle, George Perez, Jae and Jim Lee, Brett Breeding and Mike Zeck. Wonderful bastards all around. I still remember talking to Chuck Dixon at one micro con with about 6 dealers. We talked about of all things sports. Great guy.

I've never attended anything as big as the LA or San Diego comic con, and since it's been ages since I've been to a con(mostly due to 2-3 comics shops closing in this area), I miss those days. When you could talk comics among people who weren't closet obsessives, but proud of their hobby. Bless them.

Random thought finished.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 21, 2008 6:43 pm

I was never so lucky as to have the middle-level con, but in Iowa in the '80s and early '90s there were "marketplaces" the Iowa Comic Book Club would run. A dozen to twenty dealers came in and sometimes a couple of pros from the area would drop by - coming up from Missouri or down from Minnesota or Wisconsin, wherever. Usually not more than three medium-name guests, and they didn't get more than gas money and a meal, I think, but it was fun.

I remember being at ChicagoCon in the late '80s, a big step up from marketplaces or even the occasional Kansas City Con, but it was casual. Locals ran the show and only the biggest names had handlers. Back when Chas Truog had a career (he was just starting Animal Man, I think, and not very popular with the readers) we spent half an hour sitting outside talking about his early work and baseball (mostly him talking about baseball). Another night I'm sitting at a bar with a friend. With fanzine exchanges we'd gotten to know Beau Smith, who had started working as distribution manager for Eclipse Comics. He introduced me to Tim Truman and John K. Snyder. It's late, and Truman has gone, but Snyder and I are chatting a little now that he's free, and Bill Sienkewicz is two stools over and we're both drunk enough to get up and dance to the Rolling Stones when they came on the jukebox. The previous night a guy I was traveling with got sloshed with Bob Burden.

I didn't become friends with these people, but the encounters were nice. They were relaxed. Even big names were willing to talk if they had the time. A buddy of mine spent ten minutes with Harvey Kurtzman, for crying out loud!

*sigh*
DennisMM

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books