Random Comic Books

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby SilentBobX on Wed May 21, 2008 6:51 pm

Never underestimate the potential comic book sales one can find at flea markets and yard sales. I bought several awesome issues at a particular flea market that's now defunct. I got Frank Miller's 1st Daredevil, and an Xmen 121(first Alpha Flight) for less than a buck each. Of course nowadays one needs to do alot more digging since everyone now knows the value of comics it seems.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Thu May 22, 2008 5:28 am

DennisMM wrote: Superman's way of dealing with the team did surprise me, because it wasn't at all fair, and Superman if nothing else is not a cheat.

He acted mmore like a ninja in that one (poison !?!). But what's much worse is that he brags about his morals and code of conduct for 30 pages and then throws them overboard citing panic and fear as the reason. For me that the definition of a coward and that's certanly something Superman isn't supposed to be.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 23, 2008 11:35 pm

buster00 wrote:
Seppuku wrote:Whoever told me that all the Sandman spin-offs were worthless cash-ins needs to be strung up by the balls and made to read all the Lucifer trades until they change their mind. I'd have loved to have known how good they were around about the time I read the Sandman trade featuring Dream of the Endless' death. Reading these would have seriously helped me get over my grief better. Mike Carey's done a bang-up job extending what seemed like a boundless world even further. Who'd have thunk an ex-schoolteacher would have had it in him? Hell (:roll:), I'd even venture to say than in the third trade, Dalliance With the Damned, he actually surpasses much of Sandman.

I'm not finished yet, so I guess it could still all slide downhill (sorry to say it, but when The Invisibles rejigged its format two thirds of the way through its run, it may have gained more readers, but it seemed to lose its way in the process), but I can at least wholeheartedly recommend the first 5 trades to any Sandman fans, or just anyone who wants a good read.

I'm going to be forced to turn in my geek card for this, but I've barely ever read any of Gaiman's Sandman books.

I have, however, read the Lucifer trades, and they are indeed excellent.

I'm just about finished reading all of them (got about 3 issues left), and I might actually prefer Lucifer to Sandman. This goes way farther out there than Sandman ever went... I'd almost say it's Morrison trippy in parts, but the fact that Carey was a schoolteacher for 15 years before taking up comic-writing means he's had an assload of experience convincing people to believe any old shit. :-P
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Recap Page!

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun May 25, 2008 1:02 am

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this (I almost started a new thread actually) but I settled on the Random thread.

After abandoning the recent Flash relaunch helmed by Mark Waid I decided to give the Tom Peyer issues a try. Now, while the Peyer issues are not abysmal they are also not award winning. However, the content is really not the big news here. Each issue of the Peyer penned Flash issues contains A RECAP PAGE!!!!!!!

I have been championing for DC to adopt a recap page for sometime now. Marvel has utilized it to enormous success and I feel DC should follow suit. Of course there are writers such as Geoff Johns who are able to bring readers up to speed in the story itself, however, that to me is the lesser alternative. Without recap pages new readers are automatically starting off on uneven footing. True, they may catch up eventually but it would be a lot simpler to include a recap page so as not to disorient new readers.

If this is a test run then sincerely hope that DC implements recap pages in all of its books sometime soon. It is ludicrous to do otherwise.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Fri May 30, 2008 11:56 am

Al Shut wrote:Either I have severe misconceptions about [...]what's happening in the comic or "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" is the worst comic I've ever read. It's burn your collection and never read comics again bad.

Upon further inspection the highlighted part seems to be true

Wikipedia on Manchester Black wrote:Superman then revealed to the powerless Black that the rest of the Elite were only unconscious, he had not removed anything from Black's brain, and that murdering opponents makes a hero no better than his enemies. Furious, Black declared that by not killing him, Superman had guaranteed that as long as Black was alive, he would come after Superman again and again,

That sure as hell didn't happen in my copy, I must be missing a page. It read as if Superman really killed everybody hence my anger.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DennisMM on Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 pm

That's what you thought? No wonder you were so disturbed by it. Yeah, it was all a con, which was what bothered me. Superman can use a certain amount of deception to stop a foe, but he shouldn't act in ways that make him seem ignoble.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Al Shut on Fri May 30, 2008 12:45 pm

I'd say the actual version is a borderline case but I have to wonder why have superman use a clever deception to teach the villains a lesson and than let him fail because the villain refuses to learn anything.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:39 pm

I don't know I always enjoyed "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" The foe that Supes was facing required a unique response.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:06 am

Yeah if he wanted them to change theier minds and foloow his way but that failed. Just to defeat them and have Black swear revenge it wasn't necessary.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:18 pm

Al Shut wrote:Yeah if he wanted them to change theier minds and foloow his way but that failed. Just to defeat them and have Black swear revenge it wasn't necessary.

But it was more than just convincing Black. It was also about reminding the public why Superman doesn't behave that way. The whole world was able to watch how scary it is for Superman to lose his mind in that way. Furthermore, they also got to see how Black reacted.

If Superman had handled it any other way, he may have convinced Black but he would still have the people believing that Black's actions were justified.

So, I still dig it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Hard to judge for me. Someday I'll have to read the entire comic.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: Random Comic Books

Postby Raziel on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:30 pm

Reading 15th Anniversary Edition of Arkham Asylum. Good, a little different from your adverage superhero lark, more dark, adult and arty.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Raziel on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Got Tank Girl: Visions Of Booga #4, gonna keep an eye out for The Dark Tower: Treatchery #1, didn't realise it was out so soon!
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby instant_karma on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:25 am

Recently read 2004's Batman War Games story.

The whole thing was kind of so-so, but one thing that really bugged me was a television news reporter character, who gets all excited about his scoop that the 'urban legend' Batman really exists.

Now, I get Batman being an urban legend in something like Year One, but when they're talking about Batman who has been a high profile member of the Justice League amongst other things, it just seems silly to try and suggest that there would still be some doubt (especially in Gotham) about his existance.

I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:46 pm

instant_karma wrote:Recently read 2004's Batman War Games story.

The whole thing was kind of so-so, but one thing that really bugged me was a television news reporter character, who gets all excited about his scoop that the 'urban legend' Batman really exists.

Now, I get Batman being an urban legend in something like Year One, but when they're talking about Batman who has been a high profile member of the Justice League amongst other things, it just seems silly to try and suggest that there would still be some doubt (especially in Gotham) about his existance.

I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest.

That's pretty stupid. Not your review... the urban legend bit. Maybe that reporter was really clueless and grew up in the burbs of Gotham or something.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Spidey bitch-slaps Batman: Ya'll read this?

Postby HarveyDent on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:23 am

I mean, I know he's got jokes, but this is funny shit; which Marvel writer do you think did it? Any guesses? Mark Bagley? http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles ... t-new-york
HarveyDent
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:24 pm

GIANT MONSTER

The entire story online at Comic Book Resources:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=12358
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:27 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:03 am

Four years and there are still people who don't know the glory of superdickery.com

It's a cryin' shame.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 am

TheButcher wrote:GIANT MONSTER

The entire story online at Comic Book Resources:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=12358

This is a really cool book, you get the ENTIRE thing at that link, folks, check it out!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chilli on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:27 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:

Four years and there are still people who don't know the glory of superdickery.com

It's a cryin' shame.

I love that site. Superman is such a dick, especially to his adopted son Jimmy.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby DennisMM on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:38 pm

I found the notes for part 2 (and some of part 3) of my Wally West/Flash history. Think there's any point in writing it after all this time?

Please shout out either way. I'll bump part one for examination.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:41 am

Anyone reading the Dream Hunters from Gaiman? I'd never read the novella but the comics have been fantastic. P. Craig Russell talked about how he wanted to incorporate the color scheme from traditional Japanese paintings but still stay within a more classic Disney-esque type of illustration (which I guess means bold, deliberate lines so what's important sticks out.) Anyway, confusing as I just made that sound, the artwork is really stunning and so perfect for the story. Maybe it's because I've been away from it for so long and have been dying for more Sandman but it might be my favorite of his stories. Or at least it's way up there and certainly equal to the best of the series.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 pm

You must read the novella. It's like the world's most wonderful fairy tale, for adults. And it's good to read to a loved one, on a cold night with blankets and cocoa.
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:10 pm

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Can anyone give a concise round-up of the current multi-coloured Lantern Corps thing?

Are the different coloured Corps just the Star Sapphires, Sinestro Corps and such renamed? Or are they just Lantern Corps from the different multiverses?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Can anyone give a concise round-up of the current multi-coloured Lantern Corps thing?

Are the different coloured Corps just the Star Sapphires, Sinestro Corps and such renamed? Or are they just Lantern Corps from the different multiverses?

Each color represents a different emotion, and they are all from the same universe. Red = Rage, Yellow = Fear, Blue = Hope, Purple = Love (I think). I am sure Wiki could do a better job than me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Can anyone give a concise round-up of the current multi-coloured Lantern Corps thing?

Each color represents a different emotion, and they are all from the same universe. Red = Rage, Yellow = Fear, Blue = Hope, Purple = Love (I think). I am sure Wiki could do a better job than me.

Yeah, from wiki:

As the war between the Green Lantern and Sinestro Corps reaches its climax, the four Green Lanterns of Earth (Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart and Kyle Rayner) are told by the Guardians Ganthet and Sayd of the "Blackest Night" prophecy. According to the prophecy, the two existing (Green and Yellow) Corps would be joined by five new ones, each driven by a specific emotion and empowered by a specific color of the emotional spectrum, leading to an all-out war of light that would end up destroying the universe.

The 7 corps:

Green (will power)
Yellow (fear)
Violet (love)
Red (rage)
Blue (hope)
Orange (avarice)
Indigo (compassion)

These all lead to the 8th, which is BLACK but nothing is know beyond its association with death and its apparent ability to allow the dead rise.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:55 am

Okay then thanks.

I'm trying to tear through a load of back issues at the moment (Sinestro Corps Wars and the whole Final Crisis shebang) catching up, as well as getting the new stuff.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:26 pm

I have been on a back issue hunt.

Due to it's absolutely chaotic release schedule, I missed Pax Romana #3 and have had a hell of a time tracking it down.

Similarly, I haven't been able to get my hands on I Kill Giants #2 or #6. Fucking IMAGE books seem to disappear if you don't get your hands on them immediately and they rarely do second prints. So now, I either find the back issues or buy the trade for a book I am only missing a few issues of. Urgh!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Does anyone know when Detective Comics #853 is out?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Does anyone know when Detective Comics #853 is out?

April 15th.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:38 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:37 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Frank Miller's Charlie Brown

Hysterical!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:39 am

That is really inspired, great find!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DaleTremont on Thu May 14, 2009 10:22 pm

After finishing Y the Last Man I've been dying for another series. The main page recommended 100 Bullets so I started on that and am LOVING it. At first I was somewhat taken aback...probably just because I was expecting more of a classic noir-ish story and not the ghetto-fabulousness of Dizzy, but it grew on me. Having only read the first volume I'm not sure who is and isn't coming back, but generally I love the premise. And I really loved that femme fatale blonde Jessica Rabbit bitch taking down the humble bartender/former chef and familyman.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue May 19, 2009 10:27 am

I just had a bitch of a time trying to get my hands on the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (1910)... which is to say I couldn't find a copy and will have to wait 'til next wednesday at least. Anyone here get it? Thoughts?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Mogo on Tue May 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I just had a bitch of a time trying to get my hands on the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (1910)... which is to say I couldn't find a copy and will have to wait 'til next wednesday at least. Anyone here get it? Thoughts?

There are truckloads of copies on eBay.
Mogo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Carmine Infantino

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 24, 2009 11:21 pm

From Hero Complex: Happy birthday to Carmine Infantino, the flashiest artist of the Silver Age
Geoff Boucher wrote:If you read DC Comics in the 1960s and '70s you were probably looking at images drawn by Carmine Infantino or influenced by him. Just as Jack Kirby was the signature force at rival Marvel Comics, Infantino was an inescapable presence at DC, where the Space Age brought a new science-based, cerebral tone that fit his angular style and sleek, kinetic flair.

Infantino was so adept at creating striking images that, after Marvel's failed 1967 attempt to steal him away, the veteran went on to become DC's artistic director ... then editorial director ... and then publisher. One of his first moves in the top post: luring Kirby away from the House of Ideas and onto the DC roster. Don't think for a minute that talent doesn't recognize talent.

Infantino is celebrating his 84th birthday today and here at the mighty Hero Complex we thought that would be a wonderful excuse to dip into the vault and reflect on his singular style. Infantino's career stretched out six decades but it was his Silver Age work on Batman, Adam Strange and, especially, the Flash, where his elegant lines and eye-catching composition made for a special kind of magic.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:10 am

So, I have become increasingly bored with mainstream super hero yarns. I mean, I still adore the DCU and that will always be familiar to me, but as of right now I have officially dropped all DCU books with the exception being the two GL books. I will probably read some books in the shop and will try to review some of those, but I doubt I will be purchasing them anymore. My money is now going to Vetigo/Wildstorm, the bigger Indies (Image, Dark Horse), the smaller indies (archaia), and the self published.

It is going to be a brave new world going forward for lecko!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 pm

Yeah I think my decision to cut back coincided with the cancellation of Blue Beetle, probably the freshest DC book published. I am still having fun with some of their books, but that cancellation really made me mad.

And this whole Superfuck: New World of Kryptfuck is kind of a mess. I only pay attention because Supergirl innit.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:54 am

Ugh. The cancellation of Blue Beetle still haunts me. I am really tempted to pick up Booster Gold just to read the back-up.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:45 am

I thought the Blue Beetle comic was a slow starter coming out of 52, but became better and consistent. But it never picked up the sales. Sounds like the DC staff didn't want it to go, but the bosses made the call. The character is moving to the Teen Titans book though.

And to echo Lecko above, apart from the two Green Lantern stories, there's not a great deal to worry about buying at the moment. The new Batman & Robin might be worth a go. I only seem to buy Dynamite comics at the moment.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Flash Gordon

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:36 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Flash Gordon

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:47 am

I'll definitely be on the lookout for that.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Paul Pope

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Raziel on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Anyone read The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1910? I kind of enjoyed it, but it needs to be taken as part of bigger story...unfortunately, Top Shelf comics have pushed back the release of part 2 to 2010 and part 3 to 2011!! This is just not on!!
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:27 pm

I enjoyed it, though it was very different from any of the previous LOEG stories. A year and another year between the two remaining installments? That's absolute nonsense!
DennisMM

Postby Raziel on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Yeah, it is fairly ridiculous.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books