Random Comic Books

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:29 am

thedoglippedone wrote:So Lecko, I finally read '12 reasons why I love her' *melts*

Was it awesome?!?!??!?! I am totally going to buy that once I get more cash. It is killing me that I don't have it. I am a sucker for that sort of stuff.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:49 am

Shit, I thought you'd read it.

Yeah it's very awesome, it's a total heart breaker.

I think I'm in love with Joelle Jones - her art is eye-wateringly good.

She and Rich have a new book out in October, a hard boiled crime drama apparently, should be good reading too.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:52 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Shit, I thought you'd read it.

Yeah it's very awesome, it's a total heart breaker.

I think I'm in love with Joelle Jones - her art is eye-wateringly good.

She and Rich have a new book out in October, a hard boiled crime drama apparently, should be good reading too.

UGH!!!!!

It sounds perfect for me. I am on a mission to save up some cash so I can purchase it. I am going to check out my comic shop tomorrow to oggle it and drool over the art.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
buster00 wrote:The dates for WizardWorld Chicago have been announced; August 9-12.

Anyone gonna be in the Chicagoland area planning to attend? I'm seriously thinking about going.

I will be going. If you go we should try to get a meet-up together. Perhaps Vicar would be willing to join in as well.

I will undoubtedly be there.
Sober?
Probably not.
Cranked up on chronic?
Highly likely.
Looking like Michael Caine in Children of Men?
Eat me.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:14 pm

Gods, I wish I could go. To con with the Vic. And Buster and Lecko and Balm if he can.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:32 am

Random thoughts?

Well then. Just for the record I want to state that I really like Runaways, and B.U.R.P (or whatever it's called) and that I do heart Brian Vaughan.

I would have posted that in the threads meant for that topics but since I'm notoroiusly late on comic series I got extremly spoiler burnt the last time I checked them.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Has anyone tried the new "Batman Confidential" comics? I'm reading "Superman Confidential" at the moment and it's pretty good.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:43 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Has anyone tried the new "Batman Confidential" comics? I'm reading "Superman Confidential" at the moment and it's pretty good.

I read the first issue of Batman Confidential, but I won't be reading anymore. It wasn't a bad comic, but it wasn't anything spectacular. I really dig Superman Confidential, but Batman just isn't cutting it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:59 pm

I think the "Batman's early years" thing has been done to death. The Superman equivalent I'm not as familar with, so it's slightly fresher.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Yeah, lecko speaks the truth - it's not a good Bat Book.

Writing wise it's boring and art wise, WTF? one panel has Bats taking off the cowl and Bruce looks like Steve Buschemi - very odd.

Supes confidential is fucking aces.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:13 pm

DennisMM wrote:Gods, I wish I could go. To con with the Vic. And Buster and Lecko and Balm if he can.

You should.
There will be fun.
A possible riot.
What's not to love?
The Vicar

Postby doglips on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:03 pm

So I just picked up the First Testament trade, had a flick through - looks great. Anyone else reading or read?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:14 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:So I just picked up the First Testament trade, had a flick through - looks great. Anyone else reading or read?

I stopped after the first story arc. I thought it was OK, but not enough to keep spending money on.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:16 pm

mmmmmm, I shall read it now and get back to you tomorrow. It certainly looks quirky.....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:25 pm

Oh yeah, has anyone read The Surrogates?

My comic shop guy recommended it to me, I love Weldele's art on Southland tales and flicking through, the book looks beautiful. Premise sounds good too, I just wanted a zoner recc......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 pm

The Vicar wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Gods, I wish I could go. To con with the Vic. And Buster and Lecko and Balm if he can.

You should.
There will be fun.
A possible riot.
What's not to love?

Nothing not to love. However, I have little money and not much vacation time remaining. Also, I don't care to travel without Julia and she has no interest in ChiCon.

Man, my first ChicagoCon was wild. "Sweatcon '86," when the air conditioning in the Ramada died for 36 hours. Mike Baron bare-chested and Howie Chaykin without a tie or jacket. Also, dancing with a drunken Bill Sienkiewicz.

Did that last part come off a bit weird?
DennisMM

Postby buster00 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:30 am

DennisMM wrote:Man, my first ChicagoCon was wild. "Sweatcon '86," when the air conditioning in the Ramada died for 36 hours. Mike Baron bare-chested and Howie Chaykin without a tie or jacket. Also, dancing with a drunken Bill Sienkiewicz.

It comes off as...

¡Muy caliente!
¡Bueno!

We oughta be so lucky to get a bash like that.

Now, ChicagoCon is different from WizardWorld, yes? And if so, is there a big difference?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:57 am

The Chicago ComiCon was the independent con in Chitown before Wizard World bought out everything. WW started as "organizers" hired by the CCC crew to help it all run smoothly, but after a few years WW started its own cons and pushed out CCC, though there is staff overlap. CCC was an amateur event, where WW is about making money. Also, WW is far more media-based, lots of tv and movie stuff. The classic CCC was comics, all weekend, with the occasional movie or tv panel.
DennisMM

Postby buster00 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:02 am

No wonder so many people hate Wizard. That hostile takeover behavior rubs me the wrong way.

Oh, I'm still gonna try to go...but if Gareb Shamus shows up, I'm gonna give him the finger.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:08 am

buster00 wrote:No wonder so many people hate Wizard. That hostile takeover behavior rubs me the wrong way.

Oh, I'm still gonna try to go...but if Gareb Shamus shows up, I'm gonna give him the finger.

Wizard brings it on themselves...they have done some dodgey stuff in the past.

Anyone else see that the 08 WWChicago is going to be in late June instead of August?!?!!? Weird. It works out better for me though.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:06 pm

Comics were quite on here over christmas time! Hardly any posts! :-)

Cos of my new TV i haven't been able to buy n e comics this month bu they are stacking up for me at the local!

Roll on payay! I'll have a fucking shit load of reading! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:08 pm

buster00 wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:So I just picked up the First Testament trade, had a flick through - looks great. Anyone else reading or read?

I stopped after the first story arc. I thought it was OK, but not enough to keep spending money on.

I liked it. it's not as mind-bending or controversial as the blurbs would have you believe, but I thought it put some cool ideas forward - in a good old yarn kinda way.

Some of the action panels were a little stale, but the art was pretty good overall, reminded me of Moebius a little.

I'm going to get the second trade, see where it goes, I'll let you know what it's like.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 am

DennisMM wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

You should.
There will be fun.
A possible riot.
What's not to love?

Nothing not to love. However, I have little money and not much vacation time remaining. Also, I don't care to travel without Julia and she has no interest in ChiCon.

Man, my first ChicagoCon was wild. "Sweatcon '86," when the air conditioning in the Ramada died for 36 hours. Mike Baron bare-chested and Howie Chaykin without a tie or jacket. Also, dancing with a drunken Bill Sienkiewicz.

Hardly.
( for a Fellini film....)

I understand the sitch.
Won't keep me from being disappointed, though.
I am a moody biatch.

( is that Midwestern hiaku? )
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:48 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Anyone else see that the 08 WWChicago is going to be in late June instead of August?!?!!? Weird. It works out better for me though.

Pre-Wizard, ChicagoCon was traditionally on the weekend closest to 4th of July. Made it convenient for many people.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:15 pm

I'm hoping some of my Zoners can help me out. I have heard great things and I would like to start getting into Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes, but I know nothing about them. This new series is only 25 issues old so I was hoping one of you fine folks could fill me in on all I need to know in order to jump on board and enjoy this series.

Can anyone help?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:24 pm

I've read most of it, and really don't get it. I stopped reading after the 4th Supergirl issue. Cheers.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:04 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:and I would like to start getting into Supergirl

don't mess with Bluebottle's bitch...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:17 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I'm hoping some of my Zoners can help me out. I have heard great things and I would like to start getting into Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes, but I know nothing about them. This new series is only 25 issues old so I was hoping one of you fine folks could fill me in on all I need to know in order to jump on board and enjoy this series.

Can anyone help?

Read this.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 pm

For those of you who are unaware, Newsarama has been running a page a day from the first Powers trade "Who Killed Retro Girl?" up on their site. (Note that when you click the link, you'll be brought to today's page. There's nothing too spoilerish, but it's toward the end of the story, so click the page archives quickly).

Tomorrow or the next day they'll be putting up the final pages, but right now you've got the first six issues of this bitchin', bitchin' series. Highly recommended for those of you not into it already.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:32 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:For those of you who are unaware, Newsarama has been running a page a day from the first Powers trade "Who Killed Retro Girl?" up on their site. (Note that when you click the link, you'll be brought to today's page. There's nothing too spoilerish, but it's toward the end of the story, so click the page archives quickly).

Tomorrow or the next day they'll be putting up the final pages, but right now you've got the first six issues of this bitchin', bitchin' series. Highly recommended for those of you not into it already.

They are doing the same thing with David Mack's KABUKI and ATOMIKA

Its a really excellent thing they are doing.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:36 am

I read Magic: The Gathering: Gerrard's Quest on my way to work today - what utter crap! So pretentious and dull and wannabe, and I hate the artwork as well. Ugh.

So. Just had to vent, sorry I wish I hadn't read all the Sandman books. Anyone know if they will ever make any more of those?
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:03 am

tangerine wrote:I read Magic: The Gathering...

How much of that were we supposed to pay attention to after that?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DDMAN26 on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:11 pm

I was just doing some cleaning the other day and found some of my old Stormwatch and Authority trades. These were some great stories.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:45 am

I just finished the 4th tome of the Age of Apocalypse; Jesus fucking Christ - Combined the four volumes are as long as War and Peace. Also been following The Dark tower stuff, very good shit, say thankee sai.

Read Astonishing X-Men Torn – also good, better than the age of Apocalypse crazy cargo pant wars.

What else, Ash vs. Marvel Zombies, Ghost Rider Trail of Tears, Superman and Batman confidential, Jeff Smith’s run at Shazam (still on the fence with this), the Neverwhere GN and a great book, The American Way.

Fuck, I need to write some reviews.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Let me see if I've got this straight.

Stan Lee Media (the company) is trying to sue Marvel Entertainment for $5 billion.

Stan Lee (the person) does not approve of the lawsuit.

eeeeeYup. That's what it sez here.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm wanting to find "GeGeGe no Kitaro" that's supposedly been translated by Kodansha. I'm actually very intrigued by the artist, Mizuki Shigeru. He lost his left arm in WW2, and he created the manga in the '60s. A pretty good accomplishment.

Anyway, his hometown of Sakaiminato has a museum and series of statues honoring him and his creations. His work looks very much like Maurice Sendak's-

I'm also intrigued by the movie based on it coming out next month in Japan with the cute singer-actor Eiji Wentz as Kitaro. I'm hoping this will be on DVD here by the end of the year. :D

http://www.shochikufilms.com/movie/kitaro.html

Man, I think I'd rather watch the anime rather than "Scooby Doo" anyday...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:52 pm

Has anyone read The Five Fists of Science by Matt Fraction? After he finished Casanova 7 so well, I wanna read more of his work.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:58 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Has anyone read The Five Fists of Science by Matt Fraction? After he finished Casanova 7 so well, I wanna read more of his work.

That looks AWESOME! I love Casanova and this looks...well...just absolutely hilarious. I NEED to pick that up!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:03 pm

It does sound pretty good, I'll have to get it too, I think.

I read The Desolation Jones trade too....AMAZING.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:12 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:It does sound pretty good, I'll have to get it too, I think.

I read The Desolation Jones trade too....AMAZING.

Oh gosh yes. Desolation Jones is extremely awesome. The best things Ellis has going at the moment. I just wish it was released more often.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:59 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Has anyone read The Five Fists of Science by Matt Fraction?

Oh dear, read it last week - great opening - average middle - very, very poor end. Some brilliant steam punkish ideas and design and an interesting start to the relationship between Tesla and Twain but the story goes off the boil really quickly. Count me gutted.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:36 pm

So I have this shirt:

And I have figured out or knew all of the people except one:

Is it Zatanna? Gypsy? I cannot figure it out and that makes me sad like this:

Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Zatanna:

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:56 pm

THANK YOU, LEFT NUT!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 pm

I wonder if Atom is going to put that blue hanky in his left or right pocket.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:12 pm

Won't he just stuff it?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DennisMM on Tue May 08, 2007 1:17 pm

Note the Z's on Zatanna's earrings on the t-shirt. Never understood that crustacean on her head.

Anyone interested in a history of The Question? DC's treatment of Vic Sage has me seriously unhappy, if the av and sig don't tell the story.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby doglips on Fri May 25, 2007 4:10 am

So, Lecko shall we start a Comic Diary thread? - to record which Graphic Novels and TPB's we are reading and give ratings, like the movie and music journals.

EDIT - oh, Leck's gone... So Adam.....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri May 25, 2007 4:16 am

I'm back!

Hm...the thing is I don't read a lot of trades or Graphic Novels. Maybe if we start this thread I will start reading more.

EDIT: Why not just convert this thread for that purpose?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri May 25, 2007 4:51 am

Convert an existing thread?? That's a little moddish.

I'll start a new one later.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books