New Character Showcase

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

New Character Showcase

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:14 pm

So I finally got around to reading Amazing Fantasy v2. 15 the other day, where they introduced (or reimagined you could say) six new characters into the Marvel Universe: Mastermind Excello, Blackjack, The Great Video, Monstro, the Heartbreak Kid, and Positron.

And even though it felt rushed and not fully fleshed out, like they wanted to get all these characters out at once before the title was cancelled, there was an energy and freshness here that I haven't seen in either Marvel or DC since the birth of the Ultimate Universe. This reminded me alot of 2000 AD (when it doesn't suck), when its all about bringing about the next new thing, trying out crazy new concepts, genres, and characters to see what sticks. As the cancellation of Amazing Fantasy shows, its rare for comics companies to take a chance on new characters these days. Even rarer for those characters to survive. One unavoidable trend in comics these days is the reviving and holding on to as many old ideas as possible.

So with that in mind, here's your chance to draw attention to new characters that are popping up in mainstream comics; characters that you think might be the next big thing, or you at least characters you want to see more of.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:14 pm

Captain America. That dude is going places.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chilli on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 pm

Agent Brand - AXM. I think the whole concept of S.W.O.R.D is something that will hopefully spread through the Marvelverse, and it'd be nice for a little more info on her.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:18 pm

Ribbons wrote:Captain America. That dude is going places.

You know, I don't even care that you pwnt my thread here.

You kept it from slipping out of the top 15, and for that, I thank you.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:19 pm

My favorite new character of recent years is BY FAR Hisako Ichiki from Astonishing X-Men.

Not only do I like her character about twenty times more than any of the kids in New X-Men, but her powers are the bomb diggity too. Whedon's got a nice way at hinting at massive potential, at powers that could be tapped, and Hisako has had some really impressive displays. Add to that Bryan Vaughn's really nice glimpse of Future Hisako leading the X-Men in Runaways v2 #2, and you've got someone to watch.

Okay, maybe Hisako wasn't "by far" after all, because I also absolutely ADORE Molly Hayes from Runaways.

She gets sleepy when she punches stuff! How adorable!

All of the Runaways are wonderful characters, and I see a long, prosperous life for them in the Marvel Universe, but Molly is easily my favorite. She's cute, she's fun and she packs a punch. And she'll have years of clever non sequiturs ahead of her.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:39 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:41 pm

:cry:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:17 pm

The thing that's tricky about trying to introduce new characters with something like "Amazing Fantasy" is that name brands make people comfortable. Regardless of whether this month's issue of "Amazing Spider-Man" is a piece of crap, it's still going to sell because it's "Amazing Spider-Man." When the quality of the issue or even the character (in the case of "Amazing Fantasy") is a blank slate, people become decidedly less adventurous.

I like the idea of trying to introduce new characters though. I think if Marvel wants titles like this to be successful then they've got to treat it like one of their top titles. Try to hire big talent, for example, so that their name attracts readers.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:51 pm

I like the idea of 'Man-boy', a middle aged man who due to a radioactive accident has the benefits of a youthful complexion and all the hilarious consequences such a stigma would induce...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:04 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:I like the idea of 'Man-boy', a middle aged man who due to a radioactive accident has the benefits of a youthful complexion and all the hilarious consequences such a stigma would induce...

"This Man...This BOY!"

"Can Man-Boy Endure The Humilation When He's...CARDED FOR SMOKES...?"

"FIRST Senses-Shattering Ish! Presented In The Mighty Marvel Manner!"
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:08 pm

"You're awfully young to be smoking a pipe, boy..."

"I'm not a boy, i'm a man, i'm a man-boy"
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:53 pm

Ribbons wrote:Image

OMG :shock:

She'll be back.

I think Marvel are doing great things with character redevelopment at the moment, Eternals and Agents of Atlas are both series that I really want to read more of. I'm glad Eternals has been pushed to 7 issues, for a minute I thought Gaiman was going to rush the ending, but now I see this title and characters going from strength to strength in more 6 issue runs.

Agents of Atlas ( as recommended by Adam ) has been a joy, I mean this book is only about fantastic characterisations all round, shoehorned into a meandering story. Any of the team would be great in a solo book, they are all written so well by Jeff Parker.

New Universal hits this month, it will be interesting to see what Ellis does with that character set.

I'd read another run of Rokkin, very popcorny fare but the lead character Arness is written so well, it would be good to see him get another 6 issue run.

I'm loving Gen13 for the same reasons too, very easy reading with a massive nod to Runaways but Wildstorm seem to have this overhaul pitched perfectly. I think this series is really going to kick off in a couple more issues. Caitlin Fairchild is my new comic book crush.......

Matty from DMZ is another fantastic creation, Brian Wood is at the top of his game and whilst the master stroke is the DMZ itself, this comic would not be anywhere near as compulsive with a different lead character.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:04 am

I liked Marvel Boy when he was introduced by Grant Morrison a few years back. I don't think he can really be integrated into the Universe because of how his character is, but his anti-heroism was somewhat refreshing at the time. Apparently he has control of an interstellar prison or something now? I'm not really up-to-date on the whole Civil War thing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:12 am

I was fond of Grant Morrison's Frankenstein treatment in the Seven Soldiers of Victory series. I'd pay to see more.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:40 am

I don't even read a lot of comics, but I really liked something about Blink when she "reappeared" in 1995 with that whole Age of Apocalypse thing.

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:50 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I don't even read a lot of comics, but I really liked something about Blink when she "reappeared" in 1995 with that whole Age of Apocalypse thing.

Did she just finish picking Apocolypse's teeth? Man, that bitch crazy.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:36 am

Is it wrong for me to say I like X-23?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:03 pm

Yes.

The Shaolin Cowboy and Doc Frankenstein from their respective books are really great characters. I prefer DF to Morrison's Frankenstein in Seven Soldiers.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:11 pm

God, it's been so long since I've seen an issue of Doc Frankenstein that I actually forgot about it! Yes, he is superior to Morrison's version.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Then let me never be right!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Colin on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:43 pm

buster00 wrote:God, it's been so long since I've seen an issue of Doc Frankenstein that I actually forgot about it! Yes, he is superior to Morrison's version.

Dude it's only been like 2-3 months. Next one's out in February, I believe.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Colin wrote:
buster00 wrote:God, it's been so long since I've seen an issue of Doc Frankenstein that I actually forgot about it! Yes, he is superior to Morrison's version.

Dude it's only been like 2-3 months. Next one's out in February, I believe.

Yeah, but my local shop kinda sucks. They don't offer much outside of Marvel/DC/Image.

There's a shop across town that does a better job (that's where I got the first three issues), but it's a pain in the ass for me to get there. Next time I go there, I'll be picking up the back issues.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books