What Graphic Novels do I want For Christmas?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:06 pm

It's all right (IMO). My favorite Elseworlds with the big two is Gotham by Gaslight - I'm not counting Secret Identity, as that's not really an Elseworlds. It belongs in a different category, though I'm not sure which.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:07 pm

I hate hate hate collecting comics, so I normally wait until they're collected in gn form before I read them. Although it seems to me that collecting gn series is getting to be just as laborious.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:11 pm

I liked comics more when stories ran as long as the writer and editor thought necessary rather than four, six, or eight issues so they'd fit nicely in a reasonably priced TP. Imagine The Sandman with those sorts of restrictions.

Why do you hate hate hate collecting comics?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:17 pm

They cost too much for 20 pages of art. I got enough going on in my life without having to take a trip to the comics shop to pay that kind of money for nothing. I love comics, but the delivery system, in this day and age, is flawed beyond all reason.

Put it this way: if I could get, say, MARVEL 2007, the whole year's worth of comics on disc for $79.99, I'd gladly pay it. I think the whole purchase system's the reason why comics do shit business. No one's willing to grow with the times.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:11 am

Comics definitely are not a good value. I started buying when they cost 12 cents and now most of them are three dollars. The general cost of living hasn't risen 25,000 percent in 35 years. They can't afford to put an entire year's titles on disc at that price, though; It would have to be more like several hundred dollars. The typical comic sells fewer than 15,000 copies these days but art and story page rates are higher than ever for top talent.

I like getting comics in a serialized format, personally. I'm impatient about my stories and I'm used to getting most titles once a month. But if they published two original Whedon X-volumes or three Powers books a year I'd happily buy comics that way. I don't want my comics on disc except for archival purposes. Print is the perfect mass medium. Most books are light enough to carry around and they don't need electricity.
DennisMM

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:27 pm

Here's the list I have gathered from reading peoples suggestions and other such sources:

Y: The Last Man
Bone
The Invisibles
A Contract With God
Black Hole
Blankets
Fables
Sandman
Maus
Demo
Jimmy Corrigan
Planetary
Ex Machina
Invincible
DMZ
Can' Get No
From Hell
The Dark Knight Returns
Pride of Baghdad
Runaways
Miracle Man
The New Frontier
Sloth
Preacher
Lost Girls
The Eternals
P.L.A.I.N.

What should I start with. I should finish Y sometime tommorow by the way (have to pick up my own copy as Im borrowing a friends atm).

Lastly, what are the cheapest places online to get the books. Amazon?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:45 pm

DennisMM wrote:Comics definitely are not a good value. I started buying when they cost 12 cents and now most of them are three dollars. The general cost of living hasn't risen 25,000 percent in 35 years. They can't afford to put an entire year's titles on disc at that price, though; It would have to be more like several hundred dollars. The typical comic sells fewer than 15,000 copies these days but art and story page rates are higher than ever for top talent.

I like getting comics in a serialized format, personally. I'm impatient about my stories and I'm used to getting most titles once a month. But if they published two original Whedon X-volumes or three Powers books a year I'd happily buy comics that way. I don't want my comics on disc except for archival purposes. Print is the perfect mass medium. Most books are light enough to carry around and they don't need electricity.

I remember the days when the comics I bought were purchased with the leftover change from a trip to the store, any store. Now you need a thumb print and a promissory note just to get in the door of the one place in a 20 mile radius that carries them. I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before comics are only published quarterly as trades.

stereosforgeeks wrote:Lastly, what are the cheapest places online to get the books. Amazon?

I'd suggest also comparing prices at Mile High Comics, East Coast Comics, and Barnes & Noble. Get on the Mile High mailing list and every once in a while they have code word sales.
Last edited by Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:48 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Lost Girls

Yup - I couldn't find this at B&N. Amazon has it.

I'd really like to find a local comic book store that I can walk into and spend several hours in. :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:09 pm

I've probably recommended these in some place or another, but if you're looking for something more "mature," I can suggest Joe Sacco's Palestine and Safe Area Gorazde, which can best be described as combining journalism with the gaphic novel format. Of course, there are lots of Sacco's personal touches throughout, but the works are very sincere and heartfelt.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:11 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Co mics definitely are not a good value. I started buying when they cost 12 cents and now most of them are three dollars. The general cost of living hasn't risen 25,000 percent in 35 years. They can't afford to put an entire year's titles on disc at that price, though; It would have to be more like several hundred dollars. The typical comic sells fewer than 15,000 copies these days but art and story page rates are higher than ever for top talent.

I remember the days when the comics I bought were purchased with the leftover change from a trip to the store, any store. Now you need a thumb print and a promissory note just to get in the door of the one place in a 20 mile radius that carries them. I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before comics are only published quarterly as trades.

stereosforgeeks wrote:Lastly, what are the cheapest places online to get the books. Amazon?

I'd suggest also comparing prices at Mile High Comics, East Coast Comics, and Barnes & Noble. Get on the Mile High mailing list and every once in a while they have code word sales.

Cool thanks!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Eric Powell's The Goon!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Maui wrote:I'd really like to find a local comic book store that I can walk into and spend several hours in. :)

Shattuck Avenue, right on the BART line, next to Half-Price Books.

Comic Relief. Staff is a nice combination of beefy, surly "comic book guys", some skinny Berkeley hipsters, and a really cute cat that likes to surreptitiously rub against unwary legs.

Great comic shop, lots of signings, lots of signed items (Image Comics head office is right around the way on University).

you're welcome, n00b.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:25 pm

What the dilly with Blankets? I've heard a couple of people mention that one as well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Ribbons wrote:What the dilly with Blankets? I've heard a couple of people mention that one as well.

when they're wet they're not very fun...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Ribbons wrote:What the dilly with Blankets? I've heard a couple of people mention that one as well.

when they're wet they're not very fun...

Even electric ones?

Here's a set of graphic novels that I've been looking at: Seven Soldiers by Grant Morrison
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:46 pm

Blankets is sweet, but on the whole I prefer Goodbye, Chunky Rice. I don't know what that says about me.
DennisMM

Previous

Return to Comic Books