2006 comics year in review

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:27 pm

CBR has a great must-read article looking back on this past year and current trends in comic books. I'd encourage anyone who has the time to give it a look as we close out 2006 and look ahead to what the next year can hold for us in comics.

Some interesting thoughts:

Another big element of our return to the '80s is the mega-crossover. Both DC and Marvel are happily hunting for the next big "event" they can tie all of their books into, which will naturally give sales a temporary boost.

By forcing consumers to buy more comics than usual to fully appreciate the scope of the event taking place, the publisher runs into an even bigger danger of buyer's remorse. This, in turn, will cause them to skip out on the post-event titles and possibly reduce the overall amount of books they purchase.

In addition, the event comic poses another danger to the industry: entropy (of a sort). The argument has been made that event comics don't bring in new readers, but just cannibalize an existing fan base. In addition, once an event comic is successful, the comic book company then looks for an even bigger event the following year, and a bigger one the year after that, and so on. Then, after awhile, comic fans get turned off by the events the big two are putting out and either turn to indy books (possibly and hopefully) or stop reading altogether (more likely).

When Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti joined Marvel to run the Marvel Knights line, Marvel was suffering from this over-editorializing "event" mentality. They got the best writers for their books, and then turned them loose. And while some of that is still going on (see Garth Ennis' MAX "Punisher"), it's becoming more and more rare.

It's a bit long, but well worth the effort.

http://comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9263
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:25 am

So far... Marvel's "Civlil War" has been a let down.
Instead of being a story of "moral ambiguity" the...

*SPOILERS*

The anti-registration is clearly the "good guys" and pro-registration is clearly the "bad guys". I would have hoped for something less clear cut, unless Marvel has something "Earth-Shattering" coming up in the next two CW issues. ...I give the endeavor a big thumbs down... thanks for nothing Marvel! :evil:

Assholes!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:35 am

I can't help but agree with you there Veg. And since you and I are probably as far on opposite sides of the political spectrum as you can get, I think that says alot.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:36 am

I think it's bullshit, frankly. I have gotten three of my friends into comics (btw, people who have NEVER read comics before) because of CW.

DC's big event is a different story though. Infinite Crisis and 52 are not geared at all to new readers. While I found IC totally lame, I have enjoyed the follow up for the most part.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:58 am

Civil War is really enjoyable... but I wouldn't call it earth shattering! I have enjoyed Frontline more than the actual Civil War comics! :-)

War Crimes was a good one shot as well! :-)

CAN I ASK: Is this where we can do a top three comics of 2006 or can I start a new thread for that?

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:37 am

Billy Hazelnuts is in my top 10 for the year; Tony Millionaire, I thank you for your puerile genius.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:04 am

silentbobafett wrote:CAN I ASK: Is this where we can do a top three comics of 2006 or can I start a new thread for that?

I would say just do it in this thread, but I could've sworn my dope addled mind saw a Best Comics of 2006 thread a couple days back...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:07 am

We must b on the same shit cos I thought i did aswell, but cantfind it. However... I think this sites defiance and getting a good search engine (i.e one that give you what your equest) ANYWHERE makes my brain think its more fucked than it actually is :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:26 am

I think there should be three catergories....what do people think?

Cat 1: Best new comic (single issue) of 2006

Cat 2: Best new TPB/GN of 2006

Cat 3: Best comic/tpb/GN READ in 2006 (but is doesn't have to have been released in 2006)

How does this sound? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:26 am

silentbobafett wrote:I think there should be three catergories....what do people think?

Cat 1: Best new comic (single issue) of 2006

Cat 2: Best new TPB/GN of 2006

Cat 3: Best comic/tpb/GN READ in 2006 (but is doesn't have to have been released in 2006)

How does this sound? :-)

Too complicated.

I liked the throw down, brief as it was, between Spider-Man and Iron Man. That to me was a real crowd pleasing moment.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:00 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I think it's bullshit, frankly. I have gotten three of my friends into comics (btw, people who have NEVER read comics before) because of CW.

DC's big event is a different story though. Infinite Crisis and 52 are not geared at all to new readers. While I found IC totally lame, I have enjoyed the follow up for the most part.

Infinite Crisis was a bit lame. But I've found 52 to be really good.

And I think 52 was also accessible to new readers. I've not got the widest knowledge of the comic-verse, but it gradually brought you in. It began with a fairly simple premise of "a big event has just happened, our main people are out of the picture, what's going to happen?". It didn't matter if you didn't know the details.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:10 pm

You're lying! You've been lost since week one.

Fried Gold wrote:What's a Nanda Parbat?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:13 pm

I still haven't figured out what this black costumed Captain Marvel clone thing is about.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:15 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I can't help but agree with you there Veg. And since you and I are probably as far on opposite sides of the political spectrum as you can get, I think that says alot.

Politics aside completely, Balm. 8)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:08 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
silentbobafett wrote:CAN I ASK: Is this where we can do a top three comics of 2006 or can I start a new thread for that?

I would say just do it in this thread, but I could've sworn my dope addled mind saw a Best Comics of 2006 thread a couple days back...

That was Dennis's Best comic of the month--December 2006 thread.

But yeah, I guess this thread can serve to sum up anything you want to say about the last year in comics; whether that's what your favorites were, or what your least favorites were, what moments do you think were the most important, what trends did you notice, etc.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:21 pm

Civil War was the IT of 06. Like burlivesleftnut, ive gotten a bunch of friends who wernt really into comics in to full blown geeks because of this story line.

The things being done with Spiderman and how all of this is going to turn out is just a great read.

I think Superman/Batman kinda fell off the mark that they were once on.

Same with Teen Titans. IC kinda fucked up a lot of the stuff that got me into DC books.

But the best thing was: I GOT GARGOYLES BACK! SLG brought back disney's greatest show and has the original creative team from the show writting the damn book!

I think 06 will go down as a failry big year.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:38 pm

I enjoyed Infinite Crisis simply because of the massive scale it occured on. I have only been reading comics for a few years now...so this was something new to me.

52 has been faily solid so far and that is quite an accomplishment for DC. Consider also that 52 has consistently stayed in the top 10 in sales charts and it would appear that DC has pulled off the impossible.

Morrison writing Batman and All-Star Superman, Brad Meltzer on JLA...DC is putting its top talent where it needs to be and we are the benefactors.

Civil War has been quite the spectacle. It has been a real treat to read...even if some of the characterization has seemed off. Frontline has had some stellar issues...some being better than the main story.

The Ultimate Line has some great stuff happen in 06 as well. Ultimate Fantastic Four had the "Frightful" storyline, which very well could be the best storyline the UFF have had. Bendis and Bagley are about to break the record and they are doing so with the best Ultimate Spidey story arc in years. It has yet to conclude, but it has certainly provided some great thrills.

Things are picking up on the indie circuit as well. Mouse Guard, Local, Supermarket...

2006 was a great time to be a comic book reader. Hopefully 2007 will continue the trend of high quality storytelling.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:45 pm

the bestest comic of this or any other year in the history of people drawing stuff with funny captions was Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:32 pm

There was a best of 2006 comic thread. I started and deleted it, as for some reason I asked everyone to comment on the best comics of 2007. I'm a douche.

We should just give the comics we enjoyed this year a shout out here. My favourites -

Can't Get No, The Fountain and Sloth were my 3 favourite Graphic Novels ( Pride of Baghdad too, but not as good as those three ). The Esacpists, Phonogram, Eternals, Agents of Atlas and The Otherside are ( and were ) all great mini's. DMZ, Runaways, Loveless and UFF kept me buying monthly. TPB's a plenty - Supermarket, Invincible, AXM, Superman-For Tomorrow, Paper Dolls and Kimono Dragons.

My favourite comic of the year - Ex-Machina. Nothing else came close to March to War and Smoke Smoke this year, the two specials were superb and to top it off Harris's new inkwashing makes the art even better. LOVE IT.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:42 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:There was a best of 2006 comic thread. I started and deleted it, as for some reason I asked everyone to comment on the best comics of 2007.

HA! Knew it...

thedoglippedone wrote:I'm a douche.

no, no.

teh Balm is teh douche.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:50 pm

I couldn't agree less with some folks in here and more with that article. These giant crossover events are terrible and have definitely driven me away from books I used to read on a monthly basis until the entire thing is over....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:11 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I couldn't agree less with some folks in here...

Scott Pilgrim wrote:You suck, surprising no-one!
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:59 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I couldn't agree less with some folks in here and more with that article. These giant crossover events are terrible and have definitely driven me away from books I used to read on a monthly basis until the entire thing is over....

They're supposed to get you to buy more comics. Personally it just turns me away completely. I don't want to have to buy two different comics to follow one story. It makes no sense to me.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:28 pm

my second favorite thing in comics this year was the twisted espionage, surreal (and I don't use that word lightly) skullduggery, jiggery-pokery meta-fictional freakout of drug infested proportions, time and alterna-universe traveling, demented genius that is Matt Fraction's Casanova.

Iron Fist #1 was sold out, so I couldn't in good conscience purchase #2, but I can't. fucking. wait.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:36 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Iron Fist #1 was sold out, so I couldn't in good conscience purchase #2, but I can't. fucking. wait.

same shit happened to me.

i was like wtf?! who gives a fuck about iron fist these days anyways. the only two characters who could possibly be considered more dated than power man and iron fist are ghost rider and rocket racer.

but then my brother told me that every time wizard does a piece about who they consider to be "hot" right now, their books always sell out. i guess the guy who is doing iron fist is on wizards hot list, so consequently, i cant get my hands on the book.
fuckers
then i heard it was chock-a-block with pop culture references, which made me roll my eyes. i guess that is the hip style du jour. pop culture references. thanks simpsons.

oh well, i may pick the back issues up at comiccon. :sad:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:45 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I couldn't agree less with some folks in here and more with that article. These giant crossover events are terrible and have definitely driven me away from books I used to read on a monthly basis until the entire thing is over....

Did you read the article?

Would you be surprised that the people in the articles were bringing up those exact concerns?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 am

I will say this much...

The "Cable & Deadpool" comics during CW were awesome and obviously
really turned me on to the Deadpool character!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:34 am

CBR has posted a bunch of their writers Top 5 lists. Check them out here.

The big winners?

DMZ, Pride of Baghdad, and Runaways were on a lot of people's "Best Book" award.

Ed Brubaker and Brian K. Vaughan gained a lot of Best Writer nods.

They are really interesting and hopefully can generate some debate. As good a place to start as any.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RezE11even on Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:43 pm

My two favourite Graphic Novels this year were The Fountain and long awaited Lost Girls.

My favourite comic company was up and coming BOOM! Studios. My favourite thing of theirs was probably Giant Monster, issue 2 being my favourite of the year.
RezE11even
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:10 am

My favorite publisher in 06 had to be Image.

Cassanova, Fear Agent, Fell, Invincible, Nightly News, Phonogram, Walking Dead and so much more.

Diverse, talented, entertaining until the last.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thatsfunny on Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:51 am

as a personal resolution, i'd like to start getting back into superhero books in 2007. i didn't read comics at all for a few years, but recently i got back into it and have been mostly reading non-superhero stuff like chris ware, seth, dan clowes, etc.

this thread will definitely help
thatsfunny
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:10 am

thatsfunny wrote:as a personal resolution, i'd like to start getting back into superhero books in 2007. i didn't read comics at all for a few years, but recently i got back into it and have been mostly reading non-superhero stuff like chris ware, seth, dan clowes, etc.

this thread will definitely help

If you would like to get back into superhero books I would suggest starting with Image's INVINCIBLE.

It is only in the 30's issue wise so you won't be bogged down in continuity. It also has the added benefit of being the best written superhero book on the market.

If you are looking for more mainstream superhero books, as in DC or Marvel, I would head for Daredevil by Ed Brubaker.

You also can't go wrong with Marvel's Ultimate Universe, DC's All-Star Superman, and Grant Morrison's Batman.

I hope that helps you out a bit. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Happy hunting.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thatsfunny on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 am

yeah i've read the first two Invincible compilation books, actually... and you're right, the series is really well-written

ill check out the others
thatsfunny
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:25 am

thatsfunny wrote:yeah i've read the first two Invincible compilation books, actually... and you're right, the series is really well-written

ill check out the others

The series does not disappoint.

You have decided to re-enter superhero books at a rather kinetic time. The past few years have beem riddled with major events that have had some significant effects on the superhero landscape.

It might take some time to catch up.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:27 am

Another "Best of" list has emerged.

CLICK HERE FOR IGN'S BEST OF 06 LIST
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:42 am

Fried Gold wrote:I still haven't figured out what this black costumed Captain Marvel clone thing is about.

Are you talking about Black Adam?

Wikipedia is a comic reader's friend!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:14 am

With all the "Best Of's" coming out lately, I decided to compile one of my own. This list applies to comics released during the 2006 calendar year. Story arcs and limited series were only eligible only if they reached their halfway mark during the calendar year. This provides me with a somewhat ample opportunity to accurately judge the quality of the story. As we all know, endings often-time separate good stories from being great.

I spent a great deal of time compiling this list. It was probably a waste of time, but regardless…

Best Limited Series

5) Doctor Strange: The Oath (1-3 of 5)
4) The Escapists
3) Eternals
2) Local

And the winner is:

1) 52 – We have had 34 issues of this weekly year long limited series. A comic a week and not one shitty issue. This book deserves all the accolades it can receive...simply for the accomplishment alone.

Best Story Arc

5) Planet Hulk, Incredible Hulk
4) Up, Up, and Away, Superman/Action Comics
3) Sons of the Empire, Fables
2) The Devil in Cell Block D, Daredevil

And the winner is:

1) Clone Saga, Ultimate Spider-Man – Bendis has crafted the most thrilling story arc of the year. The emotional mess he put Peter Parker through is unprecedented in Ultimate Spidey. You can’t help but feel sorry for the kid. Not only that, but he made the Clone Saga cool. First, Battlestar Galactica gets a bad ass facelife…now the Clone Saga.

Best Artist

5) John Cassaday
4) Michael Lark and Stefano Gaudiano
3) Steve McNive
2) Ryan Kelly

And the winner is:

1) Ed Benes – I will admit to being somewhat ignorant when it comes to art. All I know is what I like, what I dislike, what adds to the story and what detracts from the story. I love his work on JLA, so he takes the top spot.

Best Writer

5) Bill Willingham
4) Warren Ellis
3) Brian K. Vaughan
2) Brian Wood

And the winner is:

1) Ed Brubaker – This was by far one of the tougher calls to make. Ultimately, I chose Brubaker for his sheer volume of work. Captain America, Daredevil, Criminal, Uncanny X-Men, Criminal. Immortal Iron: Fist… This man is nothing short of outstanding for being able to consistently put out solid issue after solid issue. Lets see what he has in stre for us in 2007.

Best On-Going Series

5) Runaways
4) Astonishing X-Men
3) DMZ
2) Daredevil

And the winner is:

1) Fables – There were so many amazing on-going series out there at the moment. I had to leave off the two big Kirkman books, for instance. But Fables has clearly operated above and beyond the rest. Willingham has crafted a fantasy epic that rivals Gaiman’s Sandman. The good thing is that the series shows no sign of letting up. Bring on 2007.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:31 am

Fables really didn't work for me! And I loe that kinda stuff!

DMZ, Y, Walking Dead, Exterminators, Brian Wood stuff, Warren Ellis, Batman and Superman All Star and Confidential, and last but by no menas least Civil War... :-) thank you and good night :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:31 pm

Its funny to think that the second to last post in this thread was my 2006 Best Of...

Here is my 2007:

Top 5

This list applies to comics released during the 2007 calendar year. Story arcs and limited series were eligible if seventy five percent of the issues were released during the calendar year. This provides me with a somewhat ample opportunity to accurately judge the quality of the story. As we all know, endings often-time separate good stories from being great. New Series were eligible only if they debuted in the 2007 calendar year and saw at least three issues published before the end of December.

Best Limited Series

5) Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite
4) World War Hulk
3) Faker
2) Dark Tower

And the winner is:

1) Silver Surfer: Requiem - To put it plainly, this may very well have been my favorite comic of the year. I honestly can't recommend this story enough. JMS finally lived up to the hype that seems to follow his name around. If you haven't read this yet...seek it out. You will not be disappointed. It also made Silver Surfer into one of my favorite characters in the Marvel U.

Best New Series

5) The Brave & The Bold
4) The Spirit
3) Thor
2) Buffy

And the winner is:

1) Scalped - Jason Aaron is a top talent in this industry. His debut mini, The Other Side, was nothing short of spectacular. Scalped, his original series from Vertigo, lives up to the promise of that mini. Checking out the description it doesn't seem like this series should work, but it does...and it seriously kicks ass.

Best Story Arc

5) The Man Who Swallowed Eternity
4) League of Batmen
3) Faith In Monsters
2) Death of Captain America

And the winner is:

1) Sinestro Corps. War - Can there even be an argument about this one? The Sinestro Corps story arc was without a doubt the best story arc to come out of DC, Marvel, or any other publisher for that matter. Everyone involved brought their A game and delivered what will undoubtedly be a seminal moment in Green Lantern's history. Not everyday something like that occurs.

Best Artist

5) John Cassaday
4) Frank Quitely
3) Darwyn Cooke
2) JRJR

And the winner is:

[i]1) Jae Lee – The Dark Tower book was superbly written, but one of the reasons I do not hesitate to call it a “masterpieceâ€
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:01 pm

I think Lobster Johnson could have either been in for new series or limited depending on your definition of either.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:05 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I think Lobster Johnson could have either been in for new series or limited depending on your definition of either.

Yeah Dark Horse really screwed me over. I had a tough time where to place Umbrella Academy. It is a limited series, technically, but it is meant to be a continuous string of limited series. Ultimately, I went with "Limited Series" since each story has a finite conclusion even if the characters are going to continue on in other adventures.

I heard good things about Lobster Johnson, but I have yet to get into the world of Hellboy and BPRD. So many trades to collect, so little time.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books