What is the most valuable comic you own?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby DennisMM on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 am

Oldest (but not most valuable) comic I own is an Airboy from the late '40s, the classic "Airboy and the Rats" story. It's coverless and beat, but a nice thing to have.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 am

I wonder who has the best old school comic on the Zone. I mean there must be some gold out there somewhere. I have nadda... I mean I only own 1 comic so I'm a bit sad in that regard :(
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Good grief!?!?! I have a pile of Betty and Veronica's that I need to go through. Some of them are worth a pretty penny based on the price guide above.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:54 pm

I would have sworn there was another thread very similar to this one. I recall that because I posted in that thread.

I don't know what comic I own is most expensive. I have the limited 1987 leather-bound, slip-cased Graphitti Editions of Watchmen, the one with all the supplementary material that they put in the Absolute Edition, but that's a book, not a comic. I've got Hulk #182 (third Wolverine appearance following #180 and #181) and ASM #129 with The Punisher, but both of those are read to pieces. Oh, well.

The oldest comic I have is a late '40s Airboy with the classic story, "Airboy versus the Rats!" It's coverless.

What is a comic worth? As a friend who ran a comics shop to me, "A comic book is worth what someone else will give you for it." Last year I gave someone a comic book that I've seen priced from $50-100. I didn't want it any more and he was interested in it.

I gave away hundreds of comics last year to Zoners through the (Almost) Free Comics and Books program I ran. The Return of (Almost) Free Comics and Books will be here soon. The pickings may not be as nice as last year. Most of the GNs I didn't care for went in the last round. But you may find something you like. Stay tuned. I hope this will come together by month's end.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:01 pm

My roomie claims he has all those old Star Trek comics by Gold Key. I just checked, and #1 is going on Ebay for $4,100. The auction ends in 6 hours or so.

I told him about that and now he's going through all his old boxes of comics and he can't find them!!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby junesquad on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:05 pm

That's evil, Minstrel... how could you sell your roomie's comics on ebay???? Well, for $4,100, I'd do it. J/k man.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:08 pm

Woohoo! He just found them!!

He has about a dozen of these old Star Trek comics, including #1 and #2. They seem to be in pretty good condition, too, though not quite mint!

But they might be worth quite a bit!

He also has a couple of old Supercar comics from 1963.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:36 pm

DennisMM wrote:I gave away hundreds of comics last year to Zoners through the (Almost) Free Comics and Books program I ran. The Return of (Almost) Free Comics and Books will be here soon. The pickings may not be as nice as last year. Most of the GNs I didn't care for went in the last round. But you may find something you like. Stay tuned. I hope this will come together by month's end.

Cool Dennis - I'll look forward to that.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:56 pm

Most of the comics that I kept in immaculate condition have lost their value over the years. Sad.
Aside from Jae Lee-signed issues of The Gunslinger Born this past year, I only buy TPB's - so I can read them and not freak out about them.
Cheers to the true collectors! I haven't the heart/money/stomach lining to do it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: What is the most valuable comic you own?

Postby Nancy on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:43 am

My most valuable comic is "Big Berd vs. Arnold Schwarzenheimer".
Nancy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 pm

I have no idea about the monetary value of the humble comic book, but I do own one of the original copies of the V For Vendetta trade paperback.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Gerald Fried on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:00 am

I have a first issue of 2000AD.

And I was bidding for a complete set of Watchmen until it got over a £100 and I backed away quickly.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:04 pm

1st Press of Frank Miller's Ronin.
A complete collection of Lobo.
Captain Brtiain Issue 1.
A vast collection of Moon Knight and Rom.
Almost every single Starblazer and Commando.
A very very early edition of Spiderman but the front cover is torn and tatty.

Edit: I forgot to mention Odd copies of Sin City.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby spock of the walk on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:17 am

:( i started collecting comics in the earlt 90s. got a whole bunch that aint worth shit.
however i do have a 1988 donatello ninja turtle in the package that my mom forgot to give me for christmas 20 years ago.
"He told me he understood, but I could see it in his eyes that he didn't. He was lying to me."
spock of the walk
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Previous

Return to Comic Books