Art Spiegelman

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Art Spiegelman

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:28 am

Mods - I ran about 13 searches, and did not find a topic for this, but if there is a more suitable place for the discussion, feel free to moderate me and my dumb-ass over to it –

Art Spiegelman; creator of Maus, editor of RAW (I reread these yearly), a Pulitzer Prize-winning powerhouse, moving the ball forward for comic-lit possibly more than anyone before him. Like him, love him, hate the crap out of him – this is the place to throw down on it.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:28 am

Fuck, what a dink I am, first poster and probably only poster ever on this thread: fucking lame.

This man is my hero - not only is his own work a-fucking-mazing, he brought so many artists from the shadows – pretty much gathering a group of artists to keep adult comics alive – (not adult, as in Havoc’s mom’s ‘movies’); without these people, we probably would still be staring at the ‘Comics-Code-Of-America-Or-Whatever’ watered down kid safe crap the 80’s vomited all over us.

Anyway, I wanted to throw up some links to some stuff - most people are aware of Maus, so, no Maus links –

Raw – great comics mag – formatting was always crazy, and the stuff inside was mind blowing when I was 10 (still is).

Drew Friedmen – holy crap. His contributions to RAW were brilliant, and everything the man has done is gold.

Kim Deitch – Genius
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:18 pm

I just can't give props to Schindler's list or even The Pianist, because I read Maus years before any of those movies ever came out. I hear "In The Shadow of No Towers" is killer good.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Maus gave me nightmares. I read it in a Western Civ class which was probably one of the most enjoyable assignments I've ever had. It was the first graphic I ever read.

My professor looked askance at me when I put it in my paper, but for some reason seeing animals in place of people really upset me. But I honestly think that seeing mice in place of people somehow created a whole new shock value. I've seen alot of Holocaust movies and documentaries. They've always upset me, but after awhile you become clinical about it. But draw the Holocaust in Disneyish ways and you have a whole new kind of horror.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:51 pm

Okay, so I'm a gonna to tell alla you putzes a this, but donna let it get around, eh?

The Dino, he read a the Maus back inna the day, eh? Anna the part where a tells us about a his a brother Richeu, anna how a the neighbor lady, she fed alla the children she was a taking care of atta the time a the rat poison, a 'cos a she thought a the Germans, they were a coming anna she killed alla the little bambinos anna Richeu? Holy crappa that was a sad, no?

But holy goddamn crappa... when I open uppa the Maus II anna see the picture of a the little blonde-haired Richeu... inna his a little lederhosen with a his a little cherub-a-like cheeks... anna the words "For Richeu."

Goddamn, the Dino, he cry like a the little bambino... tears just a rolling down a my cheeks, eh? I was a the inna'consolable for a number of a the minutes... it was a the good thing I was alla alone atta the time, a 'cos it was a very private moment of a the sorrow... everything inna the stories, she hadda become a real with a the inna'clusion of a that one picture, no? Anna the impact, she was a felt right inna to a the depths of a what alla you putzes like a to call a my withered anna blackened heart.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby buster00 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:06 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote: But draw the Holocaust in Disneyish ways and you have a whole new kind of horror.

I tend to think about Disney in a Holocaustish way. The effect is chillingly similar.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:19 pm

What struck me most with Maus was the father / son dynamic; it grounded the work for me somehow. I think it was the brutal honesty of Spiegelman's 'push/pull' relationship with his father.

His father would never tell him honest answers when asked directly; rather, he held a power over the tragedy he suffered through by telling the stories in his own time and under his own conditions.

This coping mechanism is the sell for me – it would not matter if Art had used stick-figures instead of cats, mice and dogs – the series would have resonated just as deeply with me because of it.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dascapital on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:41 am

unikrunk wrote:What struck me most with Maus was the father / son dynamic; it grounded the work for me somehow. I think it was the brutal honesty of Spiegelman's 'push/pull' relationship with his father.

His father would never tell him honest answers when asked directly; rather, he held a power over the tragedy he suffered through by telling the stories in his own time and under his own conditions.

This coping mechanism is the sell for me – it would not matter if Art had used stick-figures instead of cats, mice and dogs – the series would have resonated just as deeply with me because of it.

Loved the father/son dynamic in Maus too. What struck me more were the panels where Art actually feels guilty about writing the book. I recall frames where he was climbing over the corpses of dead mice to tell his story.

The first time I read this was in an Elective English class at University. I knew the broad strokes of the holocaust but I loved reading the individual story and the realization that surviving the holocaust was dumb luck...
"We don't need martyrs right now; we need heroes. A hero would die for his country but he'd much rather live for it."
dascapital
GLIB

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:24 am

BUMP, eh?

Happy Birthday to a the Art Spiegelman.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:26 am

I need to read Maus. I almost picked it up yeeeeeeeeears ago, not really knowing what it was. I liked the title, the art looked good, and it seemed like it'd be telling a decent story. Just never bothered to get around to it. Now I need to go get it.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 am

I bought the Maus books way back in high school and haven't read them since. I'll have to read them again as soon as I get my books out of storage.

Is Raw still published?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books