RIP Secret Stash West Coast

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:28 pm

This is certainly sad news for those who love Kevin Smith and the Askewniverse out there in Cullyfornia. I quote the tubby bitch himself:

Quote: "So as of October 15th, Bryan's dream comes true: he gets to leave the West Coast Stash, guilt-free - because we're closing it for good.

I'll miss having a West Coast store, to be honest. Aside from the obvious joy in owning a comic book store in my neck of the woods, it also served as the studio/stage at which we shot "Sucks Less." We hosted multiple hours-long signing events there"

The Bryan mentioned is Bryan 'Steve Dave' Johnson, who ran the Stash, which is a shame, since one of my hopes was that he'd star in a Walt and Steve Dave short film. Ah, pipe dreams.

According to the announcement here it's going to be changed over into an internet cafe after someone bought out the Stash's lease. Yeah, cause there's a shortage of them over there:

[url] http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =309288139

It is sad. I remember visiting the Red Bank Secret Stash a few years back, after winning a contest to get in to see a clip of Jersey Girl and meet the gang(Mewes, Johnson, Walt, and some guy named Ming who apparently knew my CNNSI alter ego from years past. Another mystery) I loved it. The crowd wasn't Episode I midnight premiere huge, but it was a nice collection of folks from around this wonderful country of ours. And the event was very cozy. I mingled with the folks instead of pestering Kevin and Co. with any questions, cause I feel he'd been asked everything there is to be asked about them. And of course took pics and got autographs on several things, including my orig. Clerks dvd. My prized possession.

So in closing, I want to say that it's a shame that it's gone. RIP

[url][/url]

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:30 pm

What now? What's Secret Stash, for the unaware?
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:38 pm

I just read his blog!

FUCKING BASTARD!

This irks me to no end! I love the mans work and i do buy his shit, but the stash was like, ground zero of Kevin Smith Coolness.

I really hate it when people arnt trusting enough to let someone else do something for them.

And I live like 40 minutes from there. Only been there once but the place is cool as hell.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: RIP Secret Stash West Coast

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:44 pm

bastard_robo wrote:I just read his blog!

FUCKING BASTARD!

This irks me to no end! I love the mans work and i do buy his shit, but the stash was like, ground zero of Kevin Smith Coolness.

I really hate it when people arnt trusting enough to let someone else do something for them.

And I live like 40 minutes from there. Only been there once but the place is cool as hell.

I agree. Why on earth he didn't trust anyone outside the 'family' is beyond me. It's not like he wasn't making money with the store, right? I ask because I'm pretty sure the store wasn't hurting.

Anyone know if the store did good business out there?

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Its in the heart of westwood, in west LA.

UCLA is right there, not to mention that a shitload of movie premiers happen there too.

The place is swank and is full of the target audiance of Kevin Smith. Theres no way that place was hurting.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:39 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Its in the heart of westwood, in west LA.

UCLA is right there, not to mention that a shitload of movie premiers happen there too.

The place is swank and is full of the target audiance of Kevin Smith. Theres no way that place was hurting.

ONeillSG1 wrote:What now? What's Secret Stash, for the unaware?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:10 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Its in the heart of westwood, in west LA.

ONeillSG1 wrote:What now? What's Secret Stash, for the unaware?

Its Kevin Smith's Comic Store.

He has 2. One here in LA, and one in RED BANK NJ, were he use to live.

The red bank one is the original and it sits in the heart of the ASKEWNIVERSE if you will. But when Kevin moved out to LA, he opened one here, and they had better signings because everyone thats related to his films now live out in cali.

He didn't just sell comics, he sold his own merch there too.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:47 am

So.. now that its closing has been moved to the 6th.. is anyone else goign to this?
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:14 am

Here are a few pics from the closing.

The pic of me is horrible, but its a bit better than the one from a few years ago.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:52 am

Nice pics, Robo. My condolences to all out there who'll miss it. BTW, I had to do a double take, cause I thought that pic was of Ethan Suplee.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:59 am

SilentBobX wrote:Nice pics, Robo. My condolences to all out there who'll miss it. BTW, I had to do a double take, cause I thought that pic was of Ethan Suplee.

Mahalo

Agreed there!
Nice autpograph!! Hahaha.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Comic Books