ONE MORE DAY: Love It or Loathe It?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

ONE MORE DAY/BRAND NEW DAY: How do you feel?

Like it.
0
No votes
Not sure what to feel.
0
No votes
Hate it but will continue reading Spider-man.
2
33%
Hate it and will stop reading Spider-man til they undo the events.
4
67%
 
Total votes : 6

Postby bluebottle on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Maybe it'll turn out to be like House of M... Someone will remember the way things were, and Peter will try to change things back.

(in my dreams)
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:57 pm

I wish I could make a deal with Mephisto to make me forget the storyline*.




*and enslave Brendan Gleason for my personal amusement.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Fuck Mephisto. Go right to Satan. I read Ghost Rider #1 (the Johnny Blaze version) while working on (Almost) Free Comics and there he was.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:57 pm

I haven't read Spider-Man since the late 70s. But with all the comics talk here on the Zone, I was actually thinking of getting back into reading comics.

I just read this thread. I doubt I'll ever read a Marvel comic again.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:15 pm

I assume Marvel learnt nothing from DC's Zero Hour.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:51 pm

minstrel wrote:I just read this thread. I doubt I'll ever read a Marvel comic again.

That's the spirit! :twisted:
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:34 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I assume Marvel learnt nothing from DC's Zero Hour.


Zero Hour made sense compared to One More Day, if only because they tried to iron out the leftover Crisis problems. OMD seems almost random.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby bluebottle on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:40 pm

it gets worse.

i just read the first issue of Brand New Day, and man, I love Slott, but this feels all wrong.

It's a real throwback... 2 dimensional, no depth to the characters... it's embarrassing, and they've erased EVERYTHING that made Peter interesting. he's like a slightly older (and less funny) version of Ultimate Spiderman.

The Jackpot stuff is ridiculous, the character is obviously there to placate MJ fans, but i won't be surprised if she fades into the background pretty quickly.

I don't understand it at all... This is the worst editorial decision since the Clone Wars fiasco.

It's really depressing. It's like they killed Spiderman.
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby minstrel on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
minstrel wrote:I just read this thread. I doubt I'll ever read a Marvel comic again.

That's the spirit! :twisted:


Oh, come on. It's as if they're TRYING to drive away their fans. Why support people like that?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 pm

minstrel wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:
minstrel wrote:I just read this thread. I doubt I'll ever read a Marvel comic again.

That's the spirit! :twisted:


Oh, come on. It's as if they're TRYING to drive away their fans. Why support people like that?


Well, to be fair, there are several Marvel titles that are thriving at the moment. Immortal Iron Fist (trust me), Thunderbolts, Captain America just to name a few. But if you are a Spidey fan...its probably best to read Ultimate Spidey and avoid the 616 Universe like the plague.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Steve Wacker answers some pressing continuity questions.

I'm picking up the first BND issue after work today.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Steve Wacker makes me even less happy than I was before. Rein in your inner stand-up comic and answer the questions, editor-boy.

You'd best be able to explain some things and should have been ready to explain them before the last installment of "One More Day" ever went to the printers.

1. Why is Spider-Man still with the Avengers after he broke with Stark so radically? Wacker says Pete opposed registration but still unmasked publicly. The whole point of unmasking was to demonstrate that a not-fully-trusted costumed type was willing to stick his neck out because he supported Stark.

2. Why is "The Other: Change or Die" still in continuity if Peter no longer has the powers associated with the story?

3. Why was Aunt May shot if no one knows Spider-Man's identity?

More questions to come.

ETA: I notice that Wacker, in an earlier chat, acted as if the three-times-a-month shipping for the Spidey books is somehow ... amazing. Or at least terribly special. In the '90s, post-Death, the Superman books ran a continuing story across all four titles. Superman, with different names attached, shipped FOUR times a month, Wacker.

And maybe it's me, but does it really make sense to start a Brand New Day filled with continuity changes for your biggest character and give the project to a Brand New Editor who's never worked for your company?
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby bluebottle on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:03 pm

ahem...

"magic", dennis... "magic".

i'm wondering if there's been a jump in time. like if "brand new day" takes place several months after "one more day".

maybe everything that happend pre-BND still happened. but since then, may has healed, the house was rebuilt, peter lost some of his powers and people's memories have been altered.

see up there? all i just wrote? that's me grasping at straws
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:23 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/Spider-Man/BND/StatusQuo.html

"Any questions? Hey, don't ask us -- we're new here ourselves! Anyway, the past is past -- so don't look back, look forward, to the next great epoch in the ongoing saga of Spider-Man: Brand New Day!"

a.k.a.

"Want to know what we're up to at Marvel? We don't fucken know either!!"
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:27 pm

I read Ultimate Spider-man but not the other Spidey titles because I was wary of jumping into a story full of things I wouldn't understand. But I did read most of Civil War (still looking for the last few books) and I got bit by the Spidey and Avengers bug. But now after reading this thread, I think I'll just stick to the Ultimate universe.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:46 pm

Bluebottle wrote:it gets worse.

i just read the first issue of Brand New Day, and man, I love Slott, but this feels all wrong.

It's a real throwback... 2 dimensional, no depth to the characters... it's embarrassing, and they've erased EVERYTHING that made Peter interesting. he's like a slightly older (and less funny) version of Ultimate Spiderman.

The Jackpot stuff is ridiculous, the character is obviously there to placate MJ fans, but i won't be surprised if she fades into the background pretty quickly.

I don't understand it at all... This is the worst editorial decision since the Clone Wars fiasco.

It's really depressing. It's like they killed Spiderman.

Yeah... except that I really liked it.

I guess I'm not as invested in 616 Spider-Man as most of you. I mean, I love the character and I am a big Spider-Man fan, but I never followed these books because I couldn't keep up with the "true" story when he's being published in 19 different titles a month. That said, they're streamlining things nicely and shuffling the status quo back into familiar territory, which I'm all for. Slott's issue also sets up a number of cool new story elements that look like they'll take a few years to pan out. Call me crazy, but I'm down with that. And it's worth reading just for McNiven's art.

BND is 1 for 1.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:51 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:it gets worse.

i just read the first issue of Brand New Day, and man, I love Slott, but this feels all wrong.

It's a real throwback... 2 dimensional, no depth to the characters... it's embarrassing, and they've erased EVERYTHING that made Peter interesting. he's like a slightly older (and less funny) version of Ultimate Spiderman.

The Jackpot stuff is ridiculous, the character is obviously there to placate MJ fans, but i won't be surprised if she fades into the background pretty quickly.

I don't understand it at all... This is the worst editorial decision since the Clone Wars fiasco.

It's really depressing. It's like they killed Spiderman.

Yeah... except that I really liked it.

I guess I'm not as invested in 616 Spider-Man as most of you. I mean, I love the character and I am a big Spider-Man fan, but I never followed these books because I couldn't keep up with the "true" story when he's being published in 19 different titles a month. That said, they're streamlining things nicely and shuffling the status quo back into familiar territory, which I'm all for. Slott's issue also sets up a number of cool new story elements that look like they'll take a few years to pan out. Call me crazy, but I'm down with that. And it's worth reading just for McNiven's art.

BND is 1 for 1.


Hm. That is the first positive review i have read for BND. Reviewers from Newsarama and IGN have been less kind. I didn't even bother picking it up. I'll stick with Ultimate Spidey. I also dropped New Avengers because I just don't want to deal with this 616 Spidey for a while.

Glad you enjoyed it MW...and I was surprised to hear some folks were not impressed with McNiven's art...I figured that would have been the one slam dunk...you seem to disagree.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Glad you enjoyed it MW...and I was surprised to hear some folks were not impressed with McNiven's art...I figured that would have been the one slam dunk...you seem to disagree.

WHAT?! Not digging the story changes is one thing, but knocking McNiven's art is just lunacy. His stuff here is easily on par with his Civil War work (though fewer costumes and action scenes), and that's about as good as supehero art gets, IMO.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:it gets worse.

i just read the first issue of Brand New Day, and man, I love Slott, but this feels all wrong.

It's a real throwback... 2 dimensional, no depth to the characters... it's embarrassing, and they've erased EVERYTHING that made Peter interesting. he's like a slightly older (and less funny) version of Ultimate Spiderman.

The Jackpot stuff is ridiculous, the character is obviously there to placate MJ fans, but i won't be surprised if she fades into the background pretty quickly.

I don't understand it at all... This is the worst editorial decision since the Clone Wars fiasco.

It's really depressing. It's like they killed Spiderman.

Yeah... except that I really liked it.

I guess I'm not as invested in 616 Spider-Man as most of you. I mean, I love the character and I am a big Spider-Man fan, but I never followed these books because I couldn't keep up with the "true" story when he's being published in 19 different titles a month. That said, they're streamlining things nicely and shuffling the status quo back into familiar territory, which I'm all for. Slott's issue also sets up a number of cool new story elements that look like they'll take a few years to pan out. Call me crazy, but I'm down with that. And it's worth reading just for McNiven's art.

BND is 1 for 1.


Good review, dude.

I'm a bit skeptical really. To see the stuff from Civil War be altered retroactively strikes me as off, because there was some great developement there. Still, I shall probably pick this up at some point as a TPB and see if that works for me.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:17 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Glad you enjoyed it MW...and I was surprised to hear some folks were not impressed with McNiven's art...I figured that would have been the one slam dunk...you seem to disagree.

WHAT?! Not digging the story changes is one thing, but knocking McNiven's art is just lunacy. His stuff here is easily on par with his Civil War work (though fewer costumes and action scenes), and that's about as good as supehero art gets, IMO.


Someone commented that his faces "change shape"...especially Peter Parker. That was just something I read. As I have said, I will not be picking up this book but I can't really say first hand...I was just curious.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:23 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:it gets worse.

i just read the first issue of Brand New Day, and man, I love Slott, but this feels all wrong.

It's a real throwback... 2 dimensional, no depth to the characters... it's embarrassing, and they've erased EVERYTHING that made Peter interesting. he's like a slightly older (and less funny) version of Ultimate Spiderman.

The Jackpot stuff is ridiculous, the character is obviously there to placate MJ fans, but i won't be surprised if she fades into the background pretty quickly.

I don't understand it at all... This is the worst editorial decision since the Clone Wars fiasco.

It's really depressing. It's like they killed Spiderman.

Yeah... except that I really liked it.

I guess I'm not as invested in 616 Spider-Man as most of you. I mean, I love the character and I am a big Spider-Man fan, but I never followed these books because I couldn't keep up with the "true" story when he's being published in 19 different titles a month. That said, they're streamlining things nicely and shuffling the status quo back into familiar territory, which I'm all for. Slott's issue also sets up a number of cool new story elements that look like they'll take a few years to pan out. Call me crazy, but I'm down with that. And it's worth reading just for McNiven's art.

BND is 1 for 1.


Yeah, but you're just looking at the small picture, and not what's really going on...

How would you like it if all the X-Men titles were erased, and First Class became the main 616 book?

Would you be thrilled if they destroyed all of Scott Summer's development from the last 30 years?
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:27 pm

The talking heads on the Seattle morning news actually reported about this storyline today, and the "extreme fan reaction" that has resulted. Last time that happened was *SPOILERS* when Cap got killed. I would guess that Marvel is overjoyed by the coverage.

Now, I'm going to repost Bluebottle's questions because they are interesting and I don't want them to be missed as a result of my random aside:

Bluebottle wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:it gets worse.

i just read the first issue of Brand New Day, and man, I love Slott, but this feels all wrong.

It's a real throwback... 2 dimensional, no depth to the characters... it's embarrassing, and they've erased EVERYTHING that made Peter interesting. he's like a slightly older (and less funny) version of Ultimate Spiderman.

The Jackpot stuff is ridiculous, the character is obviously there to placate MJ fans, but i won't be surprised if she fades into the background pretty quickly.

I don't understand it at all... This is the worst editorial decision since the Clone Wars fiasco.

It's really depressing. It's like they killed Spiderman.

Yeah... except that I really liked it.

I guess I'm not as invested in 616 Spider-Man as most of you. I mean, I love the character and I am a big Spider-Man fan, but I never followed these books because I couldn't keep up with the "true" story when he's being published in 19 different titles a month. That said, they're streamlining things nicely and shuffling the status quo back into familiar territory, which I'm all for. Slott's issue also sets up a number of cool new story elements that look like they'll take a few years to pan out. Call me crazy, but I'm down with that. And it's worth reading just for McNiven's art.

BND is 1 for 1.


Yeah, but you're just looking at the small picture, and not what's really going on...

How would you like it if all the X-Men titles were erased, and First Class became the main 616 book?

Would you be thrilled if they destroyed all of Scott Summer's development from the last 30 years?
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:32 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Would you be thrilled if they destroyed all of Scott Summer's development from the last 30 years?


And that's another thing that makes me feel sort of ambivalent (and maybe even on the down side of ambivalent) towards "One More Day"... I think that the way comic books constantly reset themselves to the status quo is bad creatively. Imagine if that was the case 30 years ago; a good amount of Marvel's "classic" stories wouldn't even exist.

Then again, I understand the logic of wanting to get back to the character's initial appeal. I liked the whittling down of the mutant population in "House of M" (although the fact that there are just as many "X"-books as ever makes it kind of pointless), so, I don't know.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13966
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:56 pm

There is a way to reboot effectively, but it requires a lot of goodwill on the part of your readers. It's called DC 1956. You stop publishing the old versions of the characters and pick up a bit later with new versions changed enough that people can tell the difference. Then you say it's a completely different universe rather than publishing a simultaneous alternate universe as in the Ultimate books.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:58 pm

As a non-comics fan who's been reading this thread for the past few days, I gotta say you guys are cracking me up!
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15728
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Go away and leave us to our fanboy arguments! LEAVE PETER PARKER ALONE!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:00 pm

so sorry wrote:As a non-comics fan who's been reading this thread for the past few days, I gotta say you guys are cracking me up!


You think we're funny? Do we amuse you?
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Postby Theta on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:09 pm

so sorry wrote:As a non-comics fan who's been reading this thread for the past few days, I gotta say you guys are cracking me up!


Well, if you'd like to get into comics, I'd recommend starting with some yaoi. I think you'd like it.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
User avatar
Theta
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:57 am
Location: Boston, MA

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Chilli wrote:
so sorry wrote:As a non-comics fan who's been reading this thread for the past few days, I gotta say you guys are cracking me up!


You think we're funny? Do we amuse you?


YES!

Please continue your rationalization of different Universes, Ultimates vs. 616, some dude name Myfisto clearing the entire world's memory, etc...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15728
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:30 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Yeah, but you're just looking at the small picture, and not what's really going on...

How would you like it if all the X-Men titles were erased, and First Class became the main 616 book?

Would you be thrilled if they destroyed all of Scott Summer's development from the last 30 years?

The truth of the matter is I have HUGE problems with the way mainstream comic books refuse to allow their characters to grow and change in significant ways. I quite honestly don't know if I could ever write for one of the "core" titles because all I'd be interested in doing is shifting the status quo, making character arcs where at the end our hero is vastly different than he was at the start.

But that's not how Marvel and DC operate, for better or worse.

I completely understand the frustration in the idea that years and years of continuity--fan-purchased continuity--are suddenly swept away, but I think Joe Q is right in that at some point Spider-Man veered a little too far away from the original mission statement. He grew up, got a job, got married... and suddenly he was Peter Banning when he should've stayed Peter Pan. Making some sort of "fix" to take things back closer to the original idea without having to reboot the entire universe to do it is a big, ballsy move--and I still think it's the right one.

And, yes, I suppose I would be a great deal more pissed if they had done this with the X-Men. (If that makes me a hypocrite, then it's one of a great many things to do so.) But Joe Q & Co. already put the "fix" on the mutant world by radically decreasing the number of mutants, getting the X-books back to their place as outcasts. That was the right call to make, as otherwise the X-Men were and are still very close to their original model.

Maybe I sound a little confused: "I wouldn't work this way, but he's right to do so." But that's just how I feel. Joe Q will be gone within the next few years, no doubt, and all he's trying to do is to make sure the Spider-Man he leaves behind hasn't changed so radically that it isn't recognizable to new readers who vaguely know Spider-Man. That's his job, and I think he's doing it well. Sucks that it took such a drastic, continuity-scrambling move to do so, but that's what it took.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:53 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:And, yes, I suppose I would be a great deal more pissed if they had done this with the X-Men. (If that makes me a hypocrite, then it's one of a great many things to do so.) But Joe Q & Co. already put the "fix" on the mutant world by radically decreasing the number of mutants, getting the X-books back to their place as outcasts. That was the right call to make, as otherwise the X-Men were and are still very close to their original model.


There's a difference though. What they did with X-Men was a continuation of the story. It wasn't a reboot.

I have no problems with bringing the character back to it's mission statement. But there are about a million different, more interesting ways to do it.

This has all the same effects of a reboot, without actually being a reboot.

It was sloppy.

Ironically, the Civil War stuff ended up bringing Spider-Man closer to his mission statement than he's been in years. He was an outcast, on the run, his family in jeopardy because of who he was.

But now we find out that all that stuff, all the things done during JMS' run were done with THIS in mind - with the knowledge that it would all be erased.

What a huge waste of time. If Joe Q really wanted Peter to be single and down on his luck, he could have easily done it without going to such great lengths to change things in the first place.

It's more about publicity than story.

Cap's Death, Peter's Unmasking, and now this have generated more media interest in Marvel than any other story in years.

Do you respect Joe Q for his business decisions, or for his editorial/story decisions?

Because my guess is that you're looking at this more from a business perspective than a story perspective.

Which is fine, you can respect Joe Q all you want for making Marvel gobs and gobs of money, and having the BALLS to make such a drastic decision.

My argument is that a better editor could have made the same decision, brought Spider-Man back to basic, but could have done it in a way that didn't piss off the fans. Basically, there was probably a way to make everyone happy in this scenario, instead of making such a blatant attempt at luring in new readers.
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:54 pm

The BND Spider-Man not only throws it in the face of readers who've followed Peter through the years from young adult to adult but also those who started reading Spider-Man comics in the past ten years and have only known the adult Peter. Leaving us with which group of readers that wants to see Peter revert to 1968? The changes seem designed to make Marvel happy, not readers.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:05 pm

This will be Joe Q.'s downfall. My prediction is that he is out as EiC by year's end.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Blue, I think your points are all pretty fair. The continuity shuffle--not even the removal of the marriage--is the most confusing element of this whole thing, and it's definitely the most alienating to those who've been reading for a while.

But it also provides me a jumping-on point, so for my purposes it's a good thing.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:35 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:But it also provides me a jumping-on point, so for my purposes it's a good thing.


Which is the real shame, because there has to be a better way to get a new/casual reader on board - But because it will bring new people to the book, it'll justify Joe Q's actions.

Imagine a long running television show rebooting because they want to bring in new viewers. Imagine they said that all of what happened on Lost up to this point was a dream, but NOW the real story starts.

(trying to get you where it hurts, damnit!)
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:48 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:But it also provides me a jumping-on point, so for my purposes it's a good thing.


Which is the real shame, because there has to be a better way to get a new/casual reader on board - But because it will bring new people to the book, it'll justify Joe Q's actions.

Imagine a long running television show rebooting because they want to bring in new viewers. Imagine they said that all of what happened on Lost up to this point was a dream, but NOW the real story starts.

(trying to get you where it hurts, damnit!)

Dude, I wouldn't give a shit...

[/lie]

The biggest contributor to me jumping on board, honestly, is that there's only one book now. Makes it a whole lot easier to follow your favorite superhero if he's not in a dozen places at once. That always bummed me out when I was a kid with a subsciption to one of three Batman/Superman books, that I was only getting part of the story.

And the creative teams are pretty sweet too.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:50 pm

but it's three times a month.

one book three times a month

vs.

three books once a month.

before now you didn't need to read all three books, their stories were independent of each other.

this is actually HARDER because now you've really got to keep up.
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:58 pm

But-but-but--!

It's one story! And this way it's easier to keep track of continuity ( :twisted: ) instead of, "Well, this happened over in that book then but it doesn't really play into this book because this happened two weeks before that even though this other one has the thing where he's not even around 'cause he's in Europe having babies with Gwen." I just never knew which story was "official" and which ones were the fun side adventures. Now, they're all the story.

But I'm also the guy who thinks there should be at most three X-books. Maybe four.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:05 pm

One, if you don't count X-Factor, because if written properly that's not an "X-book." If you do count it, then you're allowed two, but Wolverine has to drop to one solo title.

To think Marvel fans once complained the DC continuity was a mess.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 pm

i'll bet you that dan slott is a pretty miserable guy right now.

this is his dream come true and it's been marred by this whole OMD/BND fiasco.
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 pm

Speaking of Dan Slott...

Interview!!!
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 pm

DennisMM wrote:One, if you don't count X-Factor, because if written properly that's not an "X-book." If you do count it, then you're allowed two, but Wolverine has to drop to one solo title.

I say:

1) Uncanny, which remains the traditional X-Men book.
2) New/Young X-Men, which focuses primarily on the students, the school and a few non-adventuring faculty.
3) X-Factor, which moves back to a mutant P.I. book.
4) Maaaaaaaaaaybe a solo/duo book that exists on the fringes. I'd rather this kinda thing wasn't an ongoing, but rather a series of limiteds that spotlighted different characters, always with a very specific plot/purpose.

DennisMM wrote:To think Marvel fans once complained the DC continuity was a mess.

I still say DC is all but unreadable. :(
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:19 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Speaking of Dan Slott...

Interview!!!


I just read it...

I can't believe they contemplated bringing Gwen back.

Wow, can you imagine?

I thought they might do something with her clone (who is still out there) but to actually bring the original back...

Maybe they played with the idea of having Pete in a love triangle between Gwen and MJ.

Basically, turn it into Archie comics.
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:19 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I still say DC is all but unreadable. :(


Yay, common ground!
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:21 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:I still say DC is all but unreadable. :(


Yay, common ground!


I thought that the Sinestro Corps arc was probably the single most accessible comic story of last year. Johns' did an amazing job of boiling down all the history and characterization, IMO.

I think DC is fairly easy to digest, but for the love of pete I can't fathom why they don't adopt the recap page. That is a MUST for monthly books if you ask me.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:24 pm

DC Titles that are better than Spider-Man OMD/BND: Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, Superman, Action Comics, Batman, Shadowpact
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:I still say DC is all but unreadable. :(


Yay, common ground!


I thought that the Sinestro Corps arc was probably the single most accessible comic story of last year. Johns' did an amazing job of boiling down all the history and characterization, IMO.

I think DC is fairly easy to digest, but for the love of pete I can't fathom why they don't adopt the recap page. That is a MUST for monthly books if you ask me.

I've heard great things about Johns' Green Lantern run, but I find all the 52/Countdown/Multiverse nonsense to be nebulous and qweird.

Still, I've leafed through the occasional trade of Batman and Superman at Barnes and Noble and thought they were mildly entertaining. I just don't think I could reinvest in them, as DC heroes seem to change even less than Marvel ones.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:I still say DC is all but unreadable. :(


Yay, common ground!


I could say the same thing about Marvel, especially if I hadn't been reading a few key books in the last two years. For me, the X-continuity is more confusing than all the DC Crises combined.

The Crises have led to massive changes in characters - not just powers, but character development and storytelling styles - as anyone who read DC comics before 1985 can tell you.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:05 am

I just read BND, and *gulp* I really liked it. I am still peaved at the shear stupidity of OMD, but if you can divorce yourself from that, then it's a pretty fun ride. I still don't get why Pete thinks 30 is too young to get married... maybe he was just lying to cover up his fear of committment. Just skip the May story and the Osbourne story... YAWNS.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby WalterBunny on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:39 pm

I love Dan Slott's writing. I really do. He can tell some of the best stories, pulling from all corners of Marvel continuity from the past forty-odd years, and make it fun and fresh.

However.

Reading the interview that was linked in this thread, and the interview up on the main page, I just want to slap the shit out of him for being a company whore. Sure, I realize that's part of the reason he's getting paid to do Spider-Man, doing the hype and being excited and "Boy, this is a great era we're entering!" He's coming off as being toady.

Maybe it's just me. I don't know.
Image
User avatar
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: Flying over Japan

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron