JUSTIFY: Batman Hush

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Batman Hush... great or garbage?

Great
11%
Garbage
11%
Just Nice to Look at
78%

Total votes : 9

JUSTIFY: Batman Hush

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:54 pm

I just read this weekend, and while the art is PHENOMENAL, the story is about as pointless as possible. There are so many stupid moments: Like, I get that Poison Ivy might get to Superman through kryptonite lipstick, but why the fuck would Superman ever let a super villain skank kiss him in the first place? Who the heck was the big retard who was Batman's mechanic???! The villain was actually mad at Bruce because the villain's parents didn't die SOONER? Why on earth would Joker participate in such stupidity, and when it turns out he's innocent, WHY IN THE FUCK would a newly reformed Harvey Dent release him from Arkham? I mean, come on. And then the whole bit with the Riddler at the end. Batman's lamest rogue... jesus. If not for the art, I would have stopped sooner, but it sure is pretty.

So please someone come in here and tell me all the subtle things I missed so I can learn to appreciate it like others. Please! Dennis, fill us in on all the cool continuity stuff that makes this more than a limp blockbustnot! Lecko, fill me in on how this story fits into a bigger picture, or how Batman completes some cool hero's quest through this.

I actually want to like it, but I was so irked.

NOW JUSTIFY!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:27 am

It brought back Jason Todd and made The Riddler seem interesting. Both of debatable value, but I've actually liked what they've done with Jason. Red Robin - wild. And it was purty. Pretty much a waste of space otherwise. Jeph Loeb is not what he once was.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:30 am

I too was not impressed when I read it last year. People who were following it monthly seemed blown away so maybe that was part of the experience.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:33 am

DennisMM wrote:It brought back Jason Todd and made The Riddler seem interesting. Both of debatable value, but I've actually liked what they've done with Jason. Red Robin - wild. And it was purty. Pretty much a waste of space otherwise. Jeph Loeb is not what he once was.

But it DIDN'T bring back Todd. Certainly it left the door open to the possibility, but the Jason Todd in Hush was not really Jason Todd.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:35 am

I really enjoyed it. It was great seeing a lot of Bat's rogues gallery involved. Also, bringing Todd back was cool. And there was some cool mystery stuff going on. No one knew who Hush was.

And as mentioned, the art was great.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:43 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
DennisMM wrote:It brought back Jason Todd and made The Riddler seem interesting. Both of debatable value, but I've actually liked what they've done with Jason. Red Robin - wild. And it was purty. Pretty much a waste of space otherwise. Jeph Loeb is not what he once was.

But it DIDN'T bring back Todd. Certainly it left the door open to the possibility, but the Jason Todd in Hush was not really Jason Todd.

True. It brought him back the way that issue of towards the end of Green Arrow v.2 brought back Oliver. They were seeding a great many Infinite Crisis changes far in advance.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 am

It brought back Tood in spirit or idea. And the idea of him being a Bat-villian, and one of the better Bat villians is pretty intriguing.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:47 am

Nachokoolaid wrote: And the idea of him being a Bat-villian, and one of the better Bat villians is pretty intriguing.

Technically Miller did that about 6 months earlier.
EDIT nevermind....wrong Robin in mind
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:50 am

Actually, it was later retconned so that it actually WAS Jason Todd in Hush...at least for a moment, but then he was replaced with clayface.

I believe it happened in Batman Annual #25.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LeFlambeur on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:02 am

Illustration aside, Hush was garbage. Alot of the problems stemmed from Loeb's writing. What actually bothered me about it the most was his redundant, awkward utilization of the narrative pannels. It was way too intrusive. It hinders the storytelling by breaking up the rhythm of the panels and it obliterates any potential for subtletly by needlessly driving every subtextual point home over and over and over. These problems aren't unique to most of today's assembly line comics.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby instant_karma on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:24 am

I read Hush maybe less than a year ago. And I can hardly remember any of it, so I guess it didn't do too much for me. And yeah, as everyone else has said, the art was very good.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:25 pm

There were a few too many soap opera twists and turns. And I know part of the story was that many of the characters were not acting as they usually do...but there a limit to how out of character so many of them were.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Was okay read as a trades; my only real problem with it was the purported 'mystery' angle. Why even bother with that if you are going to be painfully blatant with the identity of the villain from panel 1?

Well, another thing bothered me, I suppose. The entire ‘Other Side of the Coin’ thing is played to death, especially when dealing with Batman rouges.

Hush wrote:“WAH! Your rich daddy saved my rich daddy, or something. Now you must pay! WAH!

I would have preferred an original new villain, rather than an amalgamation of Batman’s enemies dressed-up like a new thing.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:56 pm

unikrunk wrote:Was okay read as a trades; my only real problem with it was the purported 'mystery' angle. Why even bother with that if you are going to be painfully blatant with the identity of the villain from panel 1?

Heh. That is something I remember from when I read it. Thinking to myself 'Please let this be a red herring and not so obvious'.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:34 am

One of the few Batman titles I don't own and haven't read. And I had it down on my 'To Buy' list. Now I'm not so sure based on the generally 'meh' comments here :(
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:57 am

I agree! I always felt like I was missing something cos this gets quite high on the "best of " lists etc

But I didn't think it was awful, but the ARTWORK is what made it for me! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:52 pm

I read as much as I could in my comic store without getting yelled at. The Batman in it is, in my opinion, the perfect image of Batman, but the story wasn't engaging.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Never read it either yet I've been drooling over this cover more then a few times. Never bought it though...:

Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:35 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:Illustration aside, Hush was garbage. Alot of the problems stemmed from Loeb's writing. What actually bothered me about it the most was his redundant, awkward utilization of the narrative pannels. It was way too intrusive. It hinders the storytelling by breaking up the rhythm of the panels and it obliterates any potential for subtletly by needlessly driving every subtextual point home over and over and over. These problems aren't unique to most of today's assembly line comics.

I kinda feel like Loeb has taken some bad turn, I loved Superman for All Seasons, and the three Loeb/Sale Batman books, but I found his writing on the Marvel stories to be pretty pedestrian, and returning to DC with Batman/Superman and Hush, he seems to have taken a further step backwards, those two maxis is where I really find myself echoing a lot of your comments regarding his writing. I'm wondering if Catwoman: When in Rome is more of the same (been too hesitant to give a shot myself).
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby LeFlambeur on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:11 am

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:I'm wondering if Catwoman: When in Rome is more of the same (been too hesitant to give a shot myself).

Yeah, it pretty much is.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:04 pm

What I liked about it was that it gave the casual reader (like me) a quick re-cap/run-down on some of the major things that have been going on in the Bat-verse. Villians gallery, personal issues, etc. A quick read to catch up on things.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Yeah, I'm not an avid comics reader, so I enjoyed Hush for letting me take a peek into a larger world.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DennisMM on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:46 pm

This thread has inspired me to order Absolute Hush from the library so I can take a second look. I doubt I'll like it any more, but the art will be bigger and theoretically prettier. My understanding is that the Absolutes are printing the art at original size, what they call one and one-half up.
DennisMM

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:28 am

DennisMM wrote:This thread has inspired me to order Absolute Hush from the library so I can take a second look. I doubt I'll like it any more, but the art will be bigger and theoretically prettier. My understanding is that the Absolutes are printing the art at original size, what they call one and one-half up.

I'm collecting the Sandman in Absolute. It's really insanely big.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:43 am

I've had the 2-volume TPB version of this story for quite some time now, haven't read it though... flipping through the book a bit, Lee's art looks really messy to me. I dunno, his style used to appeal to me when I was a kid, but not so much anymore.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:39 am

I gave "Hush" a leisurely read the past couple of days. It still looks nice to me - Jim Lee's art is still full of unnecessary lines, but his draftsmanship has improved a lot since the late '80s, as has his storytelling. The plot remains a mess. The conspiracy is far too complicated to make any sense and Dr. Elliot's reason for acting as he does seems superficial to say the least. Revenge may be a dish best served cold, but they've only just taken "Hush" out of the SubZero.
DennisMM

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:20 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:
DennisMM wrote:This thread has inspired me to order Absolute Hush from the library so I can take a second look. I doubt I'll like it any more, but the art will be bigger and theoretically prettier. My understanding is that the Absolutes are printing the art at original size, what they call one and one-half up.

I'm collecting the Sandman in Absolute. It's really insanely big.

You've just reminded me that I'm still missing 2 Sandman books!

*runs to Forbidden Planet sale*
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Return to Comic Books