VERTIGO COMICS - 2011

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

VERTIGO COMICS - 2011

Postby StarchildAD on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 am

VERTIGO COMICS 2011

THE SHAPE UP

- DC Universe characters exile from Vertigo universe (Hellblazer will remain ongoing)
- Final year of DMZ (Ending @ #72 in December)
- Final year of SCALPED (No offical number or date but sad faces everyone)

- Sweeth Tooth (Ending, more info TBA)
- Northlanders (Ending @ #50)

IN THE WORKS

-Currently being investigated. New series will be announced shortly
to fill in the gaps from the upcoming market gaps.
OGNs, trades, hardcovers, reprints, Vertigo Ressurected, and special select series omnibus
will be littering the crowds on past titles

CURRENT ONGOING VERTIGO SERIES

- American Vampire
- Hellblazer
- House of Mystery
- I Zombie
- Scalped
- Northlanders
- Sweet Tooth
- The Unwritten
- DMZ
- Fables

OGNs, Mini Series, + More TBA

NOTES FROM AUTHOR

Its been many years but Im back to pour a little love into this thread.
I continue to read the monthlies but have failed to keep up with the entire knowledge
of information that forsees the future of VERTIGO. I am going to try and do my best.
[/i]Within the day or so this post should be complete. 8-)
Last edited by StarchildAD on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
StarchildAD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: VERTIGO - 2008

Postby buster00 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:52 am

StarchildAD wrote:Im very very very very very sad to see Exterminators ending. I wish they went the route of making an OGN (original graphic novel) to get us off with a bang.

:shock:

Damn, me too! This is news to me.

I'm way behind on that series, but I just love the first dozen or so issues.

/welcome
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:28 am

I really hope Fables kicks it into high gear. I fully expect it will. DMZ finally moves back into a real arc after 6 stand alone issues, which is excited. Scalped should continue to kick ass entering into year 2.

I can't wait for DEMO Vol. 2. Also really looking forward to HoM. Marvel has Powers, Criminal, and Kick-Ass now in its ICON line. Looks like both the "indie" branches of the big 2 are publishing some solid material.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby StarchildAD on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:03 am

Cleaned it up and made it look sexy

;)
StarchildAD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:17 am

Sexy indeed.

Anyone here REALLY looking forward to Young Liars? I mean, it is a new Vertigo book so I should probably give it the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't get pumped for that series no matter how hard I try.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:47 am

RIP EXTERMINATORS and 100 BULLETS!!!

100 bullets is a mind blowing series.

The Exgterminators (I'm up to TPB 3) is fucking awesome! My local comic stores says a lot of people don't like it, but I sure do!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby yorrick brown on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:01 am

that sucks but i guess all good things must end :( .

best to go out while your on top lol.
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:23 am

100 Bullets rocks, and the good thing is, I'm still at part 2. Muhaha, lots to read I still have !
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:54 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Sexy indeed.

Anyone here REALLY looking forward to Young Liars? I mean, it is a new Vertigo book so I should probably give it the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't get pumped for that series no matter how hard I try.

I really enjoyed issue 1, it's pretty odd but the storyline seems like it could go for a few issues. I like the bullet in the brain schizo idea so I'll be getting issue 2 - which is probs out. God, I'm so behind.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Re:

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Sexy indeed.

well, i was really looking forward to it when someone told me that it was by the same dude that did american virgin. but i dont recall seeing Lapham's name on that book. at least not when i was reading it. i could be an idiot of course. but young liars started out ok. i didnt love it, but i didnt hate it. i just really hope it picks up a little and takes things in a unique direction.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: VERTIGO - 2010 - 2011

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:29 am

Actor & Bestselling Author Team For Vertigo Graphic Novel
Vaneta Rogers wrote:As part of a growing trend toward actors and authors writing comics, an unlikely pair of celebrities have teamed up on a new graphic novel.

Best-selling horror novelist Peter Straub and actor Michael Easton united to write The Green Woman, a new graphic novel just released by publisher Vertigo. Featuring art by painter John Bolton, the story follows both a homicide detective and the seemingly reformed serial killer he's hunting.

It's not the first time either Straub or Easton has worked within the world of graphic novels, and they're part of a growing trend. From Stephen King's just-finished comic work on American Vampire to Kevin Smith's recent Batman comic, actors and novelists dabbling in comics is becoming a familiar occurrence. Names like Nicolas Cage, Milo Ventimiglia, Jodi Picoult, Brad Meltzer and Ian Rankin have turned up on the front of graphic novels and comics.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO - 2010 - 2011

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:29 am

From Bleeding Cool:
Spaceman – The New Vertigo Book from Brian Azzarello And Eduardo Risso
Rich Johnston wrote:The new series will be called Spaceman, edited by Will Dennis, with covers by Dave Johnson. The exact same team that brought you 100 Bullets.

The comic will start as a nine issue series next year vand will continue as a series of mini-series.

Rather than science fiction, it is being described as specultive fiction and the team compare it to Blade Runner. So, yes, it’s science fiction.

There haven’t beena lot of science fiction books at Vertigo, Transmetropolitan being a rare ongoing exception. Maybe, just as with 100 Bullets, Spaceman can change that.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SPACEMAN

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:58 am

From GRAPHIC CONTENT:
SPACEMAN. A REAL CONVERSATION between Will Dennis and Brian Azzarello
Pamela Mullin wrote:
AZZ: I got an idea for a new series.
ME: What’s it called?
AZZ: SPACEMAN.
ME: SPACEMAN? Is that one word or two?
AZZ: It’s one. Like SUPERMAN.
ME: It’s like SUPERMAN?
AZZ: No! It’s like SUPERMAN but not like SUPERMAN.
ME: So what’s it about.
AZZ: A spaceman. What the hell else would it be about?
ME: Right. And it’s with the entire 100 BULLETS team?
Azz: That’s the plan.
ME: Cool. Can we get it out in 2011?
AZZ: Why the hell not?
ME: Book it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Noche Roja

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Vertigo's NOCHE ROJA Takes Crime Noir South of the Border
Vaneta Rogers wrote:For writer Simon Oliver, his experience living in Honduras and his interest in the U.S./Mexico border became the ideal backdrop for his latest project, the Vertigo Crime book Noche Roja.

The original graphic novel, which comes out later this month, has already won rave reviews from mainstream book critics for its gripping, crime noir style. Featuring gritty, stylized artwork by Jason Latour, the book follows a hard-boiled private detective as he reluctantly investigates a series of brutal murders in a Mexican border town.

Born in the United Kingdom, Oliver came to the U.S. after living for years in Central America. Best-known to comic fans for his Vertigo series The Exterminators, Oliver brings his own experience and interests to Noche Roja, giving the story a brutally realistic view of life South of border.

Noche Roja is the latest release by Vertigo Crime, the "sub-imprint" of the Vertigo line that was created in 2008. Described by Vertigo Executive Editor and VP Karen Berger as smart, edgy, sexy, crime noir fiction in graphic novel form, the imprint has published a wide variety of OGNs by some of the top creators in the industry.

Newsarama talked with Oliver to find out more about Noche Roja and its unusual setting, plus we took the opportunity to ask about the future of the Showtime adaptation of The Exterminators.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO - DAYTRIPPER Vol. 1!?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:03 pm

AICN COMICS Q&@: Optimous Douche talks with DC Vertigo's DAYTRIPPER creators Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba! Plus a review of DAYTRIPPER Vol. 1!
Hey Ain’t it Coolies, Optimous Douche here in a not-so-exclusive, but damn right insightful chat with the South American comic luminaries Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. I recently had the opportunity to read their soul saturated ode to life DAYTRIPPER, and took this opportunity to unsnap their skullcaps and dig a little deeper into what makes them tick. Afterwards check out my review of the book, but first here’s what Mr. Moon and Mr. Ba had to say.

OPTIMOUS OUCHE (OD): DAYTRIPPER is a story about life’s defining moments; first love, lost love, the finding of self and our ultimate inexorable end. Was there an impetus or defining event that sparked you to create DAYTRIPPER?

GABRIEL BA (GB): The idea first struck me one night in the shower when I realized that a lost bullet could cross my window and kill me out of the blue…no explanation or reason…just like that. What would my life be up until that point? What does death mean in our lives? Then I figured we could tell a story of this guy who dies over and over, in different ways. But this idea hibernated just like that for years until Bob Schreck asked us to pitch him ideas for a series at Vertigo. All the depth of the story, all the characters, all the chapters were developed only after we got the series approved.

OD: It’s interesting the story started with the idea of death and during such a mundane activity. For me, DAYTRIPPER was an affirmation of life, the moments that define a man, with death being an excruciating exclamation point at the end of each chapter. We see the main character Brás have his first kiss, meet the love of his life, lose his Father, the birth of his child…when you were pulling the chapters together how did you guys decide what moments of Brás life you would bring to the page?

FABIO MOON (FM): I think death makes us think about life, so ultimately we wanted to tell a story about one man's life. In the same way that you don't remember your entire life when you're thinking about it, we knew we would only show moments we felt would help tell this story, moments where there's a discovery, a learning experience, when something is acquired or lost (sometimes both).

OD: And what about the deaths? Sometimes Brás dies from natural causes and then some very not-so-natural causes, was it a simply a grab bag or was there a master plan?

FM: It's very strange trying to figure out which kind of death makes sense, and yet every death in the story also helps to tell the story. We just tried to come up with different deaths without forcing them to the reader.

GB: Ours is not a violent story and Brás is a regular guy, so we couldn't have him murdered in several different ways. We tried to choose deaths that could really happen to anyone, that we've seen happening.

OD: The book has a definite “unstuck from time” narrative approach. In chapter one Brás is in his early-thirties, and then we jump back to his early twenties, and then forward to his late twenties, until finally, he reaches old age. Was there ever an iteration that told Brás' life in a linear fashion? Even if the answer is no, what made you to decide on this approach from the outset?

FM: In a story told in chapters, one of the main goals is to keep the readers guessing what comes next, and by jumping back and forward in Brás' life we created a mystery in every new step of our tale.

OD: The jumping felt far from random though, it seemed an opening and closing of each relationship in Brás life. Is that a fair statement? If not, please feel free to correct me.

FM: I like to think that memory connects facts in a way that makes sense, but rarely it's chronological. We tried to jump from one chapter to the next trying to find this feeling of comfort we find when we remember something that happened to you a long time ago.

GB: In every chapter, there's a mention to the previous or the next, sometimes very subtle. We just followed this lead, putting the right piece of the puzzle there when the moment called for it.

OD: Was it always your plan for Brás to be an obituary writer, while he tried to find his muse?

FM: Some obituaries are written to make people focus on the deceased's life instead of their death. Death isn't the most important moment of your life, no matter what age you die and obituaries help us to remember that. As soon as we figured that out, we knew what Brás' dead-end job would be.

OD: Did you guys have any dead-end jobs before making it into comics? Please, share…

FM: I don't think we had, really. We worked a lot as illustrators for magazines, newspapers, storyboards for advertising, but always as freelancers, and always certain about our desire and commitment to comics.

GB: As teenagers, we already knew we wanted to work on comics telling stories. While we were figuring out how to do that and what stories we had to tell, we got into college majoring in Fine Arts. We worked on some things art-related like high school arts teacher, guide on museums and a lot of illustration, especially after we graduated. Nothing that far from comics, from drawing. But none of these jobs satisfied us, they just paid the bills and they were great to meet people.

OD: So, which one of you is Brás, or is he a combination of both your personalities?

FM: He's neither and he's both. He's that friend we want to spend time with, the one we want to introduce to our sister. He's our hope in men, with all qualities and flaws included.

GB: I think he has a lot of us in him, on his attitudes, his character. We are telling a story of principles and beliefs, our beliefs mainly. Ones that we hope more people would relate to or that will make them pause and think about their lives. It's like a bar table conversation about life, and Brás is speaking for us.

OD: How does the process of working with your sibling differ from your other creations, is there an inherent genetic synchronicity?

FM: There's a lifetime of differences. We know each other and each other's taste so well that our communication is so fast it sometimes happens only in an exchange of looks.

GB: We know how far we can go when we're working together, how far we can push. We know for sure both of us will give their best and that we have the story as priority one. We learn a lot working with other artists and writers and we always come back stronger to our own stories.

OD: Is there any way I can get you guys to dish on upcoming projects?

FM: My crystal ball is broken today, so I'm still uncertain about the future. I'll do more CASANOVA once Bá and Matt finish the third arc, but I'm still figuring what I might want to do before that happens.

GB: CASANOVA part 3: Avaritia! Four issues that I've just started on, so it will take me some time to finish. We hope we have new ideas to work on after we're done with this.

OD: Thanks guys. DAYTRIPPER is out now in TPB, and I defy you to find a better affirmation of life and reflection on the human soul for under $20.00.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO - 2011

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:53 am

Vertigo All-Stars in New 'Strange Adventures' Anthology
After slumming it in the mainstream DC Universe for most of the noughties, the Strange Adventures anthology is returning to Vertigo. Jeff Lemire, Peter Milligan and Scott Snyder are just some of the writers contributing ten-page stories to the new Strange Adventures #1, which features a cover by Paul Pope and also includes the first chapter of Spaceman, created by the legendary 100 Bullets team of Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso.

Launched in 1950, Strange Adventures has been home to countless DC Comics short stories that are indeed strange but also quite cool. The title has a habit of birthing memorable characters like Deadman, Animal Man and Captain Comet, the latter of whom starred in a recent, well-received revival of the title written by Jim Starlin. Vertigo last published Strange Adventures in 1999 as a four-issue mature readers anthology edited by Axel Alonso, who was just installed as Editor-in-Chief of Marvel Comics. Featuring work by Frank Quitely, Brian Bolland, Brian Azzarello, Dave Gibbons, Joe R. Lansdale, Richard Corben, Klaus Janson and more, Vertigo's last Strange Adventures miniseries was part of a great run of extremely cool anthologies that included Weird Western Tales, Gangland and Weird War Tales, all of which are worth tracking down.

Little is known about Spaceman, the new project by the award-winning team of Azzarello and Risso. Robot 6 reports the series will be nine issues of "speculative science fiction" and reunite the entire 100 Bullets crew, including cover artist Dave Johnson and colorist Trish Mulvihill.

For his part, Jeff Lemire will be writing and drawing a story starring Ultra the Multi-Alien, who was recently characterized by Conan O'Brien as "a f*cking mess." Maybe Lemire can improve the talk show host's estimation of the character when Strange Adventures debuts in May.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:30 am

MTV @ ECCC 2011: The Vertigo Panel
I don’t know about the other attendees, but for my money, the most interesting revelation at the Vertigo panel was that the DC Imprint’s Editor-in-Chief, Will Dennis refers to artist Sean Gordon Murphy (Joe the Barbarian) as the “honeybadger of comics.” Oh, yeah, and Murphy will be providing covers and art for this summer’s WWII-set mini, American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest, where all hell breaks loose when a group of Romanian scientists attempt to find a “cure” for vampirism.

Also on hand at the panel were writers Chris Roberson (iZombie, Cinderella), Matt Sturges (Jack of Fables, House of Mystery), Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth), and artist Chrissie Zullo (Cinderella: Fables are Forever, Madame Xanadu) to talk about the slate of upcoming titles from Vertigo. There weren’t a lot of new titles announced but there were some interesting developments coming for existing titles.

First, if you read the recent Creator’s Commentary with Lemire on Sweet Tooth #19, you’d know that the next arc in the series will be called “Endangered Species.” According to Lemire, it involves the group finding sanctuary—a refuge from the dangers of the plague-ridden world. As a result some of the characters will be unwilling to continue the search for a cure of lead character Gus’s origins, leading to a split in the group. If that’s not enough, Lemire will also be joining Peter Milligan and Scott Snyder on this May’s sci-fi anthology, Strange Adventures.

Chris Roberson and DC Talent Search find Chrissie Zullo talked a bit about Cinderella: Fables are Forever, the current mini following the rivalry between Fabletown’s greatest spy, and her equal and opposite nemesis. The story has already kicked off with issue 2 hitting shelves on March 9th. Roberson was also touting the release of iZombie #12, which will be a break for regular artist Mike Allred with fill-in art by indie legend Gilbert Hernandez ( Love and Rockets) in an issue called “Ghost Stories” which shows readers what ghosts get up to when there’s no one to haunt.

Sturges described April’s House of Mystery #36 as a great jumping-on point for new readers in spite of the cliffhanger that ends issue 35. It’s actually a “story so far” with art by Darwyn Cooke. Fables spin-off Jack of Fables reaches the 50 issue mark next month in what Sturges describes as a “knock-down, drag out fight.” He promised readers that he wouldn’t kill all of the characters in the story—but a lot of folks were going to die. Also, I don’t know what it says about me, but I was most excited about the chatter about the possibility of a Babe the Mini Blue Ox miniseries later this year.

Finally, two other cool announcements: Scalped #50 is going to be a jam issue with art by Denis Cowan, Igor Korday, Brendan McCarthy and others, and July will see the release of a new Vertigo Crime title, Cowboys by writer Gary Philips about a police shooting gone wrong.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO - 2011 - American Vampire

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:10 am

From CBR:
"American Vampire" Goes to War in June
Vertigo has debuted Rafael Albuquerque's cover to "American Vampire" #16 by series creator Scott Snyder and Albuquerque and the cover to "American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest" #1, the upcoming miniseries from Snyder and artist Sean Murphy.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:59 am

C2E2 2011: VERTIGO 2011 Panel
“Comic’s edgiest imprint” brought their top creative talent to show off to the fans at the 2011 C2E2 in Chicago. Hosted by Group Editor Shelly Bond, the panel included Bill Willingham (Fables), Tony Atkins (Jack of Fables), Scott Snyder (American Vampire) and painter Jill Thompson. As the presentation begins, it becomes obvious that the first order of business must be an explanation as to why Bill Willingham is dressed as butler, complete with white gloves and a silver platter. Willingham offers just that he lost an undisclosed bet to DC Co-Publisher Dan DiDio, and that in payment he must act as Dan’s butler for the day. When the laughs died down, a slideshow of new and upcoming titles was presented.

Delirium’s Party

A companion piece to the Little Endless Storybook and like its predecessor was written and painted by Jill Thompson. She describes it as a silly story that’s also great for kids. In it Delirium is on a mission to make her sister Despair smile for once, so she throws her a party with all of her family in attendance. Prompted by Shelly, Jill reveals that she at least manages to make the little Endless family cry, and hints that a there will be a cake, whose mysterious recipe might sound familiar to fans.

American Vampire #15

Scott Snyder describes the cover to this issue as a favorite, and reveals that it is part of a linked, panoramic image with all the other covers in this new arc. Starting with this issue, the scene changes to World War 2 in the Pacific theater with a storyline that centers around the efforts of Allied forces to root out a nest of Japanese Vampires on a small island. At the same time, a separate mini-series deals with the activity of the Las Vegas characters battling Nazi vampires over a possible cure to vampirism. Scott then shared his mentor-like relationship with famed horror author Stephen King, and how King offered his help in the early days of the series, in particular with details around Skinner’s origin. Scott told a story of how the quantity of the material offered by King continually increased, in the same prolific fashion that King is notorious for.

Fables #103

After showing the cover featuring an unseen fable tearing open his shirt to reveal the Fables’ “F” Shelly asked Bill Willingham if the caps and tights development in his book was a mandate from above to improve sales. Willingham relied that the rumor of executive meddling was untrue, the only forcing done was by him. In the new story arc, Pinocchio comes to the realization that Ozma’s plan to take down their dangerous new foe with a small band of powerful fables, sounds a lot like the action in his comic book collection and the idea for a superhero team is born. Willingham then announces that each issue in the arc will feature a Fables-style homage to classic DC comic covers.

Werewolves of the Heartland OGN

Written by Willingham and targeted for a pre-Christmas release, Werewolves of the Heartland is a ‘just off panel’ solo adventure for Bigby Wolf that happens in continuity during the current arc. Few details were revealed, apart from the cover which depicts a human Bigby fighting off werewolves while carrying a mysterious blond woman.

Jack of Fables #50 (Extra Large Final Issue)

Atkins is sorry to see a book he’s worked on for six years go, but advises that it will go out in epic fashion while pushing all the boundaries, apropos to a character like Jack. Atkins promises that this issue will tie up all the loose ends, including the resolution to the Jack-is-a-Dragon situation. Reminiscing about the book Willingham shares a story of how he outlined a few of his old army buddies for Atkins to use during a scene taking place during World War 2 and how they turned out to look just like Bill remembered their real life counterparts. Prompted by Shelly, Atkins shared that he’ll miss drawing Gary and really misses drawing the Bagmen from the book’s original arc.

Cinderella: Fables Are Forever

Showing the cover to the recently released second issue of the mini, Willingham bragged about how great the writing has been for the Cinderella books from “the raised in a special tank to become a super-writer“ Chris Roberson, and how inspired the choice of rival for Cinderella was, without revealing her name as not to spoil anyone in the panel room.

Shelly Bond then opened the floor to fan questions. The first fan asked about another Fables prose novel, Bill replied that he has two non-Fables novels in the works and that since it was never released to him how Peter and Max did in sales, the idea of another Fables prose novel is still up in the air. The next fan asked about the Fables TV show and Bill got a ton of laughs with a line that people have been creating new networks just to pass on the Fables series, but he sees the seeds of ideas from his series in other shows in development and production. The subject of the Fables videogame from Telltale games was broached, but Bill could not comment on it. The whole panel audience was intrigued about the sliver platter that Bill was carrying around in his butler garb, and it was revealed that it’s engraving read “The Great Butler Bet, March 19, 2011.” Shelly then asked Bill to start mixing drinks for the crowd to great applause and Bill and Tony Atkins shared a recipe for a World War One era drink of gin, champagne and lemon juice shaken in a French 75mm artillery shell.

Jill Thompson revealed that the reason she did another Endless storybook was that they told her she could. The ‘darkness’ Scott Snyder is bringing to Detective Comics in entirely intentional and it will get darker. Bill was then asked if the classic TV detective Columbo was any inspiration for Bigby Wolf, to which he replied that is at least partially the case, but also Bigby comes from the ‘carrying the world on his shoulders’ look of Bogart.

Asked for advice to break writer’s block, Jill likes to get away from the screen for a while and do things like garden, Bill likes to vanish to a cabin somewhere while Scott powers though it despite the possible consequences.

Shelly was asked about the return of Sandman Mystery Theater, but there are no plans. Finally, the panel was asked what DC property they’d like to crossover into Vertigo. Bill and Tony agreed on a Batman/Bigby crossover, while Scott surprised the audience with his choice of Wonder Woman.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:22 pm

I was there!

And that night I got shit faced with Tony Akins of Jack of Fables fame!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

I was there!

I love Jack of Fables!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:33 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I was there!

I love Jack of Fables!

Tony Akins is a solid guy. He lives in Chicago, which i didn't know so I will actually be hanging out with him again this weekend.

He promises big things for the last issue of Jack of Fables.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: VERTIGO - 2011 - Swamp Thing

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

SPOILERS!

Sorry about that.

Spoilers @ Bleeding Cool too!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO - 2011 - Scalped

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:50 pm

CBR @ WC11: Aaron Gets "Scalped"
Saturday at Wondercon, Jason Aaron discussed his Vertigo ongoing "Scalped," including which character is his mom's favorite, how long the series will last, a potential TV show and much more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO - 2011 - 100 Bullets

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:50 pm

100 Bullets To Be Collected In Omnibus Volumes
Rich Johnston wrote:It looks like Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso’s 100 Bullets is to be collected by DC Vertigo in omnibus-style volumes from October, the first weighing in at 608 pages.

Not sure which issues will make up those numbers, there’s about 27 issues worth there including the Winter’s Edge piece, but it wouldn’t take you through to the issue 30 natural cut off point.

It does indicate we may be looking at four volumes though, to take in the whole 100 issue run.

And it would be rather well timed to come out alongside the team’s new comic from DC Vertigo, Spaceman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO - 2011 - Swamp Thing

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:34 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:19 am

From Newsarama:
ALBUQUERQUE Grows as Artist on Eisner-Nomed AMERICAN VAMPIRE
Vaneta Rogers wrote:When Rafael Albuquerque first began creating the world of American Vampire, he thinks it represented a lot of "growing up" as an artist.

Working with best-selling author Stephen King and series creator Scott Snyder, Albuquerque not only had to visually interpret their words and create new characters from scratch. He also wanted to establish a unique artistic style for the comic, experimenting with new artistic and storytelling techniques.

Apparently, the artist's attempt at growth has worked for fans. American Vampire was just nominated for an Eisner Award as "Best New Series," and it's successful enough that Vertigo is launching a spin-off mini-series. Although King is no longer writing for the series, Snyder has gotten enough attention for AmVamp to get a gig writing Batman in Detective Comics.

For Albuquerque, the honor of being nominated for an Eisner comes from a lot of perseverance and determination to be a comic book artist. Although Albuquerque began his career as an artist by working in advertising in Brazil, comics were his passion, so he created a website with an online gallery, hoping to attract the attention of a publisher.

It paid off. He eventually got a proposal from Middle East comics company AK Comics, and was later discovered by the folks at Boom! Studios. But most superhero comic readers remember his first gig at DC Comics on the Blue Beetle series.

Yet Albuquerque says that, despite his success at DC, he longed to be involved in a more "adult" series, where he could experiment a little.

And that's exactly what he's doing on American Vampire, drawing a slew of new characters since the book launched last year, adding to them in the comic's new World War II storyline, which just started in March.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO - Strange Adventures

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:06 am

Vertigo Releases 'Strange Adventures' Creative Teams, Paul Pope Cover

Vertigo released this week the Paul Pope-illustrated cover of Strange Adventures #1, the mature readers revival of DC Comics' venerable science fiction anthology. A one-shot going on sale later this year, Strange Adventures #1 features a who's who of Vertigo creators both new and old. Most auspiciously, the issue comes with the first chapter of Spaceman, the much anticipated new project by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso, the Eisner-winning creative team of 100 Bullets.

Check out Pope's Strange Adventures cover and the full creative team breakdown after the jump.

Launched in 1950, Strange Adventures has been home to countless DC Comics short stories that are indeed strange but also quite cool. The title has a habit of birthing memorable characters like Deadman, Animal Man and Captain Comet, the latter of whom starred in a recent, well-received revival of the title written by Jim Starlin.

Vertigo's Strange Adventures includes contributions by Scott Snyder, Peter Milligan, Ross Campbell, Paul Cornell, Denys Cowan and Jeff Lemire, the latter of whom will lend his idiosyncratic style to DC's Ultra the Multi-Alien, who was recently characterized somewhat unfairly by comedian Conan O'Brien as "a f*cking mess." If anyone can turn that rep around, it's Essex County creator Lemire. You can see some of his artwork for the book in our previous coverage.

"All The Pretty Ponies"
Writer Lauren Beukes
Artist Inaki Miranda

"The White Room"
Writer Talia Hershewe
Artist Juan Bobillo

"Case 21"
Writer Selwyn Hinds
Artist Denys Cowan

"Postmodern Prometheus"
Writer and Artist Kevin Colden

"Ultra The Multi-Alien"
Writer and Artist Jeff Lemire

"Refuse"
Writer and Artist Ross Campbell

"Partners"
Writer Peter Milligan
Artist Sylvain Savoia

"A 'True Tale' From Saucer Country"
Writer Paul Cornell
Artist Goran Sudzuka

"Spaceman"
Writer Brian Azzarello
Artist Eduardo Risso

[Via Graphic Content]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 08, 2011 11:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 am

Azzarello Unmasks The Batman of "Flashpoint"

Eisner Award winner Brian Azzarello spoke with CBR about his take on the Dark Knight in "Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengeance" while hinting what's to come in his and Risso's next series for Vertigo, "Spaceman."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2011 6:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 28, 2011 6:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby StarchildAD on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Hey Butcher, I was bored and googled my old names and found this in the recesses. I see that you still post here and I would like to reupdate the main post with info for VERTIGO 2011 - 2012.... Is there a way to change the title of the post? Also Im going to have to do some light info seeking for future projects but Im familiar with whats going on currently. If you got the time help a brotha out to fix it up and make it sexy.
StarchildAD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:58 am

From CA:
Why We Love Scott Snyder & Rafael Albuquerque's 'American Vampire'
Chris Murphy wrote:A man and a woman in love seek out a safe place to hide where their past can't catch up to them. A wild west outlaw changes with the times to adjust to the criminal underworld of a new era. A police chief's family values are tested by a case so strange and gruesome he fears he's in over his head. These aren't different stories, but rather different pieces of the increasingly complex and rewarding narrative being woven in Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque's American Vampire.

Vertigo recently released the second volume of the acclaimed series, and it hints at a much larger ongoing story involving the growth of America across the 20th century. But while American Vampire's scope of time and place is vast, the stories of its characters are intensely small and personal, intricately constructed episodes that deal with powerfully emotional concepts like love and trust and ensure the decades-spanning epic is connected to fascinating personalities. In other words, American Vampire is a book you should be reading, and we're going to tell you why.

As you may have gathered from the title, American Vampire involves vampires. Hold on, wait, come back here, keep reading! It's not that kind of vampire story or another one of those supposed "not your typical vampire stories" that means as much as superhero comics that promise "nothing will ever be the same again." American Vampire is not your typical vampire story because its creators realize that "vampire" shouldn't be regarded as a genre, but instead as an opportunity to explore and amplify the character traits of the sharp-toothed, blood-drinking parts of its cast as they develop and interact over a very, very long time, and in stories that change genre from western to romance to action to mystery.

That is precisely what happens in volume two of American Vampire: the book departs from the origin story of its first collection (co-written by Stephen King and on sale now) and spreading out to show a larger world with new players and increasingly complex roles for its main characters.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/0 ... z1OZSog2xu
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO COMICS - 2011

Postby StarchildAD on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 am

VERTIGO - 2008 is now VERTIGO COMICS - 2011

Enjoy folks, updates incoming and will be edited into the original post (OP). Sorry for the hiatus, life and stuff.
StarchildAD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO COMICS - 201? - Seaguy Eternal

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:22 am

From Bleeding Cool: “The Flash Is Cocaine Culture” – Grant Morrison At Foyles In London
Rich Johnston wrote:He tells us his new Seaguy series is the best book he’s ever written, that superhero characters are more powerful that the companies who own them in that “even the owners die” and that soon everything will be open source anyway.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO COMICS - 201? - Seaguy Eternal

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:32 am

from digital spy:
Grant Morrison says 'Seaguy' is his 'Watchmen'

Hugh Armitage wrote:Grant Morrison has discussed his ongoing Seaguy project.

The All-Star Superman writer explained that all his projects are his equivalent of Alan Moore's seminal Watchmen in an interview with Mindless Ones.

Morrison said: "Seaguy's my Watchmen, they're all my Watchmen. [Moore] just did one and I do one a week."

His Vertigo project Seaguy consists of two miniseries, with a third planned to complete the trilogy.

Morrison explained: "For me the big breakthrough in Seaguy that only happened when I was at the end of the first book, and I realized that it was actually a story about a human life. As you know I always prefer to do stuff that's symbolic rather than gritty and realistic.

"I suddenly realized that the whole notion of: you become aware of sitting across from Death, and Death says, 'Your move, Seaguy.' Kind of being born.

He continued: "And I suddenly noticed that Seaguy looked deformed and kind of foetus-like: the way Cameron [Stewart] drew him in those early issues, he's very wan, very super-slight, but he fills up as the series goes on. I suddenly realized that the whole thing was a human life compacted into nine issues. That's what made it bigger for me.

"The first one was almost something to make Kristen [Morrison's wife] laugh. A stupid, surrealistic thing, but then it became quite meaningful to me."

Morrison's Supergods, a prose book which explores the history of the 'superhero' concept, was released last week.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO COMICS - 100 Bullets

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 pm

100 Bullets Book One [Hardcover] This title will be released on October 11, 2011.

From Bleeding Cool:
100 Bullets To Be Collected In Omnibus Volumes
Rich Johnston wrote:It looks like Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso’s 100 Bullets is to be collected by DC Vertigo in omnibus-style volumes from October, the first weighing in at 608 pages.

Not sure which issues will make up those numbers, there’s about 27 issues worth there including the Winter’s Edge piece, but it wouldn’t take you through to the issue 30 natural cut off point.

It does indicate we may be looking at four volumes though, to take in the whole 100 issue run.

And it would be rather well timed to come out alongside the team’s new comic from DC Vertigo, Spaceman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Wednesday and Thursday Comic-Con Schedules are now up!

Thursday July 21st

5:45-6:45 Vertigo Editorial
They come from the cutting edge of comics…and Vertigo has never been edgier, with thought-provoking titles from some of comics’ most acclaimed creators. Don’t miss this panel featuring Scott Snyder (American Vampire), Jeff Lemire(Sweet Tooth), Michael Allred (iZombie), Mark Buckingham (Fables), Les Klinger(Annotated Sandman), Rebecca Guay (A Flight of Angels), Colleen Doran (Gone to Amerika),Bill Willingham (Fables), and many others. This is your opportunity to learn more about the entire Vertigo line. Hosted by Vertigo executive editor Karen Berger. Room 6DE
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:34 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:15 am

From IGN:
Comic-Con: Scalped is Ending
Having just reached a milestone 50th issue, it was announced today at the Vertigo Comics panel that Jason Aaron and R.M. Guera's hit creator-owned series Scalped will be drawing to an end with issue #60.

Less than a year left to go, but Vertigo Executive Editor Karen Berger confirmed that this was a natural ending to the series brought about by the creators themselves.

Scalped #60 should be scheduled for release in early 2012. Let the tears flow, we won't judge.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:39 am

From Word Balloon:
Chicago Comic-Con Risso Johnson and Azzarello talk Batman and Spaceman
john j siuntres wrote:Download The MP3 Here

A quick but great talk with the 100 Bullets crew Brian Azzarello Eduardo Risso and Dave Johnson , who just wrapped up the best FLASHPOINT tie-in story. The instant Batman classic, Knight Of Vengance, which tells the alternate universe story of Thomas Wayne taking up the mantle of The Bat, and how he dealt with the death of his son Bruce on that fateful night in crime alley.
The guys give us a preview of their new VERTIGO series SPACEMAN, and talk about ther future projects, like Dave Johnson's work on the upcoming new season of the Venture Bros on Adult Swim.

Note- The recording of the talk was compromised, so there is some background surface noise, but you can still hear everyone clearly.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:31 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO COMICS - 2012

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:09 pm

From Newsarama:
Best Shots Advance: Vertigo's SHOOTERS
Vertigo's newest OGN, SHOOTERS gets a 10 out of 10 review alongside another, smaller publisher review.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: VERTIGO COMICS - 2012

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Comic Books