The Official Grant Morrison Thread

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: The Official Grant Morrison Thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:10 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:20 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Grant Morrison vs Mark Millar

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:39 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:30 pm

NERDIST PODCAST
EPISODE 564 GRANT MORRISON
KATIE LEVINE wrote:Grant Morrison comes on The Nerdist to talk about how Comic-Con has changed over the last 20 years, what is was like growing up in Scotland with American comics, his process for writing Batman and Superman, and his new book Annihilator!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Grant Morrison's 'Miracleman'

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:31 am

Grant Morrison's Lost 'Miracleman' Story to Be Published 30 Years Later
Alan Moore's curse cuts out after three decades, apparently
Graeme McMillan wrote:A "lost" story from comic-book legend Grant Morrison will see print for the first time this holiday season, when Marvel's Miracleman Annual No. 1 publishes the first new material featuring the character in more than two decades.

The script dates back to the mid-1980s, when Morrison was asked to continue the series — then called Marvelman and running in the pages of British anthology Warrior — following the character's revival by Watchmen writer Alan Moore. As Morrison explained in the 2010 Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods documentary, "They asked me to continue Marvelman, because Moore had fallen out with everyone in the magazine and taken away his script, and they said 'Would you follow this up?'"

Morrison's story was never published, in part because the writer asked Moore for his blessing and, well, didn't get it. "I wrote to him and said, 'They've asked me to do this, but obviously I really respect your work and I wouldn't want to mess anything up, but I don't want anyone else to do it and mess it up.' And he sent me back this really weird letter, and I remember the opening of it. It said, 'I don't want this to sound like the softly hissed tones of a mafia hitman, but back off.'" (As it happened, Moore eventually continued with the strip himself, for American publisher Eclipse Comics; Warrior folded soon after.)

When Marvel chief creative officer Joe Quesada heard Morrison's story, he explained to Vulture, he had several immediate responses. "One was, Oh my God, this actually happened. Another was, Oh my God, he may have the actual script."

It turns out, he did — and, after being approached by Marvel, it'll finally be published as part of the company's high-profile repackaging of a series that shaped the development of the superhero genre over the last three decades. Out of print due to confusion over ownership of the material — confusion that included a lawsuit between Neil Gaiman, who eventually followed Moore on the series, and Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane — the series returned earlier this year with reprints of Moore's initial work, with a brand-new continuation to existing material planned for 2016.

Alongside the Morrison story, which will be illustrated by Quesada himself, Miracleman Annual No. 1 will also feature an entirely new story reuniting the X-Statix creative team of Peter Milligan and Mike Allred. The issue will be available digitally and in comic stores December 31.

New Miracleman Comics Stories (Including One by Grant Morrison) Coming Soon
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Grant Morrison vs Godzilla

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:30 am

Grant Morrison Wants To Do A ‘Godzilla’ Movie
Alex Zalben wrote:Writer Grant Morrison has destroyed – and built – new universes in the pages of comic books for years. But never before has he created two of them at the same time, in the same comic – and luckily, this one has an appropriate title: “Annihilator.”

The first issue of the eagerly anticipated book hits stores this week, so MTV News hopped on the phone with the writer to talk about his influences for the book, his flirtation with Hollywood, and how he’s dying to do a “Godzilla” movie:

MTV: So what about working with Legendary… What’s that been like, and given the subject matter, is there any interest in feeding this back into the movie side of the company?

Morrison:
Obviously because Legendary has more experience as a movie studio than as a comic book company, there’s always potential. But I really wanted to do a good comic book, not even thinking about the film yet. To get Tom Cruise, that wasn’t the intention. I wanted to tell this story, and the chance to tell it with a company so deeply entrenched in Hollywood – I couldn’t say no.

It was really targeted to Legendary, and I got along so well with Thomas Tull, and Bob Shreck, who was my Editor there. I felt comfortable there, and it’s been an interesting experience.

MTV: What about the other way… Is doing a “Godzilla” movie, or something with “Skull Island” of interest to you?

Morrison:
I have a great idea for “Godzilla!” I have the best “Godzilla” idea, but no one has ever asked me it.

MTV: Hey, I’ll ask you right now.

Morrison:
No, I’m not telling you my “Godzilla” idea! I want to use it. I’d love to tell you, honestly, but… No. [Laughs] One day, maybe, you’ll see my “Godzilla” idea.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'Avatarex'

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:16 am

Comic-Con: Grant Morrison Talks Indian Myth, Moral Ambiguity and Sharklike Behavior
Morrison's 'Avatarex, Chapter 1' is a comic book retelling of the Mahabharata.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Comic Books