Away in a Manga

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Away in a Manga

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Two years of posting by hundreds of people has turned this place into a pretty handy Buyers' Guide on anything a geek can need. I've killed hundreds of hours the last couple of months reading whole runs of comics and watching anime series because of searches I've ran here.

So I started this thread mostly to expand my horizons in a field that I'm completely ignorant of, save for three pretty epic mangas, Lone Wolf & Cub, Akira and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (which I'm just starting to read).

I know that I've rarely got so caught up in someone's work as I did in Akira and Lone Wolf (and yes, I've read all 7000+ pages!), so if there's anything else out there even half as good as those two then I sure as hell want to know about it.

It's a shame Balmy's not about, because I know he knew his shit when it came to manga.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Mai the Psychic Girl is very charming. It's science fiction laced with international business conspiracies, governmental espionage, and a cute young lead who goes through some significant changes. Difficult to find and has some unfortunate superdeformed emotional moments, but lovely to look at and fun to read.

Oh - and you should be slapped for this thread title.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:05 pm

DennisMM wrote:Oh - and you should be slapped for this thread title.

Lolzers. If just one person broke out in a cold sweat flashbacking to their strict Catholic upbringing, my job is done.

And looking up Mai, the Psychic Girl as we speak...type.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:18 pm

I dig on BLADE OF THE IMMORTAL - the mix of language and fighting styles, coupled with a brazen disregard for pesky little details like historical accuracy make this a pre-runner for SAMURAI CHAMPLOO (unless, of course, there was a CHAMPLOO comic which pre-dates BLADE OF THE IMMORTAL, in which case my horse is a hack).

also, of course, pretty much anything by Masamune Shirow.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:12 am

If you liked Akira, Domu is a pretty safe bet.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Away in a Manga

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:27 am

I highly Recommend

One of my favorite anime's, and one of the best Manga's I've ever read. I unfortunately had to sell my collection, but its action packed and fantastic art with a story that keeps you in no matter what twist it takes.

Or..

Its 15 volumes long, and its 15 volumes of GLORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heres a piece of the art!

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Return to Comic Books