DC Elseworlds

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

DC Elseworlds

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:31 am

A logn time ago I read GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT and enjoyed the twist on the tale of Batman.

Last night, many years after that initial Elseworlds reading I read CASTLE OF THE BAT (Batman done in the Frankenstien story mold).

I really, really enjoyed it. The dialogue was a bit dodgy at times, but I enjoyed the art and the odd take on my fave hero.

Now, I know there are many Elseworlds out there (although I only just fully realised this) and I've started this thread to not only talk about them, but to also ask this:

WHAT ELSEWORLD BOOKS DO YOU RECOMMEND?

Don't have to be Batman, any will do. Just looking for a discussion on what Elsworlds are about!

Whats the most crazy, out there idea? etc etc

I'll go for (out of the two I've read so far) CASTLE OF THE BAT. But I think I'm going to reread Gotham By Gaslight...
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:43 am

Off the top of my head, I'd say Superman:Red Son and Kingdom Come which are both excellent.

I never read past issue 12 of 52 but didn't it open up the possibility that some of these Elseworld stories are now canon in a multi-verse way?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:26 am

doglips wrote:Off the top of my head, I'd say Superman:Red Son and Kingdom Come which are both excellent.

I never read past issue 12 of 52 but didn't it open up the possibility that some of these Elseworld stories are now canon in a multi-verse way?

EEK! Thats were it all gets a little confusing!

And I don't think they should be mixed with the "verse".

As stand alones they are a great idea! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:47 am

Doglips already suggested what I'd consider to be the top two.

And yeah, 52 did show a glimpse of the Kingdom Come reality now being one the 52 multiverses.

You could also try The Golden Age, which is a take on the original 1940's JSA characters that seems heavily influenced by Watchmen.

Also, if you like the Batman/Frankenstien mix, you might like Batman and Dracula: Red Rain, which I believe became the first part of a trilogy, though I haven't read the other two parts.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby unikrunk on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:00 am

Yeah, Red Son is probably the best Elseworlds type tales ever put to the page. The ending did not quite do it for me, but everything else in this book was gold.

I would also suggest the recent TANGENT COMICS: SUPERMAN'S REIGN series. I have been digging the hell out of it, just read issue #2 last night. Very cool.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:32 am

Personally, JLA: The Nail, and the sequel, JLA: Another Nail were quite good.

Also, Batman: Darkest Knight, involves Bruce Wayne becoming the Green Lantern.
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm fond of Batman: Holy Terror and Batman: Gotham by Gaslight. Superman: Red Son is interesting, though I also find the ending weak. The Golden Age is wonderful, though not originally labeled an Elseworlds if memory serves. Certain elements from it made their way into DCU history via Starman.

Yes, the end of 52 did involve the creation of many earths, some of which resemble certain Elseworlds. DC has announced, however, that these are not necessarily the planets (pre-Crisis or Elseworlds) from DC publishing history that they resembled. The Kingdom Come earth has been established as one of the 52 earths, more or less. The fine details haven't been discussed.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby buster00 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:26 pm

Lots of good suggestions here! I've enjoyed almost all the books mentioned.

I'll throw in Superman: Secret Identity and JSA: The Liberty Files.

I can't recommend Batman: Holy Terror (in which Bruce Wayne is a priest) or Batman: Leatherwing (in which Bruce Wayne is a pirate on the high seas). I didn't think they were all that.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:28 pm

I liked Holy Terror because I like almost anything that pounds on fundamentalist religion. Don't know how I forgot Secret Identity, as that's my favorite Superman Elseworlds story.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby buster00 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:32 pm

DennisMM wrote:I liked Holy Terror because I like almost anything that pounds on fundamentalist religion. Don't know how I forgot Secret Identity, as that's my favorite Superman Elseworlds story.

I liked the concept of Holy Terror, but not so much the execution. Norm Breyfogle's art just doesn't really do it for me. Beyond that, it is a pretty imaginative take.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:33 pm

I too love Red Son but unlike most of the above I found the ending to be excellent, much better in fact than the terrible (to me) ending of Kingdom Come.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:37 pm

I dislike SPOILER! time loops generally. They seem an easy cheat.
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:38 pm

DennisMM wrote:I dislike SPOILER! time loops generally. They seem an easy cheat.

Ahh. One of my all time favorite stories uses that so maybe I have a soft spot.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:00 pm

DennisMM wrote:I dislike SPOILER! time loops generally. They seem an easy cheat.

yeah, but, when it comes down to it, the ending really means...

SPOILER!

that Luthor and Supes are related through blood.

which takes their frequent spats to a brotherly level.

which kicks ass.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Still bothers me. I can't defend my position. That sort of thing just bothers me. I think "All You Zombies" must have scarred me when I read it 30 years ago.
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Bak on the OP..... If you enjoy Lovecraft-ish or Mignola stuff I would check out The Doom that Came to Gotham. Not exactly a great story but full of interesting stuff.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:44 pm

cheers guys! This is some grat stuff... and some stuff I'll be picking up soon! Thanks :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Re: DC Elseworlds: Geoff Johns’ Flashpoint Event

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DC Elseworlds

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Comic Books