Comic classics to the silver screen

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Comic classics to the silver screen

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:14 pm

You know how this goes.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by John-Locke on Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

please

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:14 pm

Thor please. It could be the Clash of the Titans for a whole new generation. Plus, he has wings on his head.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:40 pm

Fantastic Thor for me too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Sub-Mariner casting...

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:10 pm

Hugo Weaving IS Namor... look inna your geek heart... you know it to be a true!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm

I'd be fine with that. Why don't you make it happen, you sexy Italian fuck?!?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:12 pm

I'm not a big fan of either Dr. Strange or Green Lantern, but they could be interesting on screen.
To be honest, I'd pay to see every one of those movies, they all have the potential to bring something new to the genre and to movies in general (well, except for "Spider-man and the Uniculture Pals"). Good selections, John-Locke.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby PVIII on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:59 pm

Iron Man for me. So far we haven't seen an abusive, alcoholic superhero in a metal CGI suit, so I think it would turn out pretty cool.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:29 pm

I donna get the Green Lantern guy... his a ring, she can do anything, no? Like.... ANYTHING?? But he gotta recharge once inna every 24 hours? What inna hell kinda crap is a that? Anna he can't do anything to a the yellow color? Dino thinks a they were making it uppa as a they went along!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:37 pm

Is that true about yellow? I thought that was like comic urban legend or something.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:55 pm

I think the yellow thing depends - Stewart doesn't seem to have any problems with yellow on JLU.
And perhaps I'm hallucinating but I could swear the original GL, Alan Scott, was ineffective against wood. I think his arch-enemy was some sort of Splinter-man or something.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:04 pm

Holy crap, that's brilliant.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:24 pm

Alla I know about a the Green a Lantern comes a from a the old "SuperFriends" show onna the Saturday mornings! He canna affect a the yellow onna that show, the putz.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:27 pm

I think Green Lantern is lame any way. Weird thing? I have no idea why.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:22 pm

I'd go with Iron Man over Thor. although when i think about Iron Man I think about that stupid ass Shaquille ONeill movie where we was wrapped in trashcans or something. man that was bad. The only possible Thor actor is Arnold, and he's too old now. side topic: Hey Dino, lets get on that King Conan movie please.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:33 pm

Thor Casting

Tis true, the way marvel are handling their property at the moment I'd expect them to cast WWE Wrestler John Cena or something.

Who other than Arnie could Wield the Hammer and Wear The Helmet?

Suggestions people.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:01 pm

BRIAN COX---er, never mind.

Brendan Gleeson would make a bitchin' Odin. As for Thor, I don't think we need to cast someone who is as muscle bound as Arnie. Ultimate Thor, who is the most interesting incarnation of the character in a while is muscular, but a little lanky too. So now we need someone who can handle flowery dialog and with a wry sense of humor. That's right: Paul Walker.

Ok mebbe not.

If you are going to cast young: Emile Hirsch

If you are going to go 30 - 40s: Aaron Eckert
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:56 pm

I went with Silver Surfer because its one character I think would make a very unique movie. We've all seen the origins of the Earth heroes: Spidey, X Men, Fantastic Four etc. Id like to see a film based on a character from another world. I dont know that much about Silver Surfer, which would make it more interesting to me.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:09 pm

Dude. Green Lantern trilogy would be awesome. And the cool thing is that while people have particular ties to this Lantern or that, there have been so many that you could go with any story. Think of it like Power Rangers in space, but good. I like the idea of a guy getting tapped into this interstellar police squad and learning to deal with such cosmic power. Very cool, and it lends itself to BIG m-fin' fights.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:46 pm

Hulk Hogan onna the Thor movie... "I'm a makin' a the thunder, brother!!!" Dino, he hadda to do it.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:48 pm

No you didn't. No.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:21 pm

I'd like to see Iron Man. Tony Stark is one character I used to imagine Nick Cage handling physically, at least. (He committed to the movie back in the mid-'90s, I believe.) Slap a decent piece and a mustache on him, and he'd look a lot like a Don Heck era Tony. He might not pull off the whole playboy industrialist dichotomy, though.

15 years ago, Timothy Dalton would have been perfect. Grow back that "Rocketeer" 'stash and go to town, Tim!

In 1987, Vincent D'Onofrio played a surly, long-haired mechanic in "Adventures in Babysitting." A little girl obsessed with Thor freaked when she saw him. Now he's 46, kinda pudgy and too ticcy. I've no idea who I'd cast today.

Off the movie front: Green Lantern really did have odd weaknesses for the first 50 years of the character. Alan Scott was vulnerable to wood, perhaps because he was magic and wood is one of the classic earthly substances of power. Because the villain Solomon Grundy had plant material in him, he could smash through GL's shields.

Editors gave the Silver Age GL a vulnerability to yellow to keep him and the other GLs from being omnipotent. If you can make a bullet out of gold and kill Hal Jordan with it, the suspense supposedly increases. Let's ignore the likelihood that the most powerful weapon in the universe, operating at the speed of thought, couldn't grab the gun from a distance and throw it a few hundred miles.

Later on, the writers and editors reasoned that if a GL decided to take over his planet/solar system/galaxy, the Guardians knew the necessary impurity in the ring meant they could smack him down with some yellow weaponry.

Of late, if I understand correctly, it's been said that the "necessary impurity" in the rings that made them vulnerable to yellow wasn't necessary at all, that it was a means of control. After a while, Kyle Rayner's ring had no problem with yellow, and I believe that is the case now that Hal Jordan has returned. Anyone read "Rebirth" to confirm this?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

THE FLASH, FOOLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:33 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:...the original GL, Alan Scott, was ineffective against wood.

Man just swing a big yellow dick at that dude...he wouldn't know what to do!!!

And what, no love for the FLASH???!!! C'mon, Ryan Reynolds and his abs would get the female crowd, you've got 10,000 rogues to choose from in the Geoff Johns run, reverse Flash (Zoom)...plus, he's the fastest man alive!!!

"Do you think Superman could outrun the Flash" "Uh, sure."

Oh and Dennis "Rebirth" rocks!!! Johns didn't necessarily say that just the color would screw up the Lanterns, but Sinestro "thoughts" were yellow.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: THE FLASH, FOOLS!!!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:33 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:[quote="The Garbage Man
Oh and Dennis "Rebirth" rocks!!! Johns didn't necessarily say that just the color would screw up the Lanterns, but Sinestro "thoughts" were yellow.

Well, here I am trying to quote a partial post again. I hope this works, because if it doesn't, I'm going to feel stupid.

"Yellow" thoughts? What the hell does that mean? I don't mind Johns's writing, but where did he come up with this, and what editor let him use it? Talk about comic books urban legend!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:34 pm

Hurray. My think-about-it-a-minute method of quote editing worked. I still feel stupid for not using it last time.

<sigh>

I have mentioned the psychiatric medications, right? Yes, they dumb me down, but I haven't threatened to rip out anyone's throat with my teeth in over seven years.
DennisMM

Dennis MM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:48 pm

The mental projections coming from Sinestro are yellow in color. It's Ethan Van Sciver that carries the story...that fucker can draw!!!

Oh and Dennis, great Merv quote. Do you read "Lucifer"? The way Carey took that character, the cosmic implications of the Lightbringers actions, the growth of Mazikeen (FYI, my ex was Maz for Halloween last year)...brilliance.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:18 am

Please, NO IRON MAN!!! Don't get me wrong, it could be a great movie, but it won't be.

Do you actually think they'd give us a serious, character driven action film where the superhero battles not only the villians, but also his own addiction? Not a chance. Instead, we'd get a shiny, FX summer fest with as much story as the FF film. And frankly, I don't want to see another Superhero movie on the screen where it's all about boom boom, punch punch. I want something different!

Dr. Strange is my choice. Give me a badass mystical journey that explores the world of magic the way FF SHOULD HAVE explored the realm of science. Again, I just want to see something different!

Green Lantern could also be great. But Thor, Iron Fist, and Namor? Thor would be cast as a wrestler (good call, John), Iron Fist would be Electra with a shittier costume, and Namor...well, in my opinion the character has always been boring. So that one's a personal bias.

Bah!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Agent Alonzo on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:19 am

Gilbert Gottfried is Thor! Coming directly to video in 2006...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:50 pm

I voted for Dr. Strange... and the role should be played by Alex Trebek. Or even better, he should be played by Will Ferrell playing Alex Trebek... but only if they cast Sean Connery as the baddie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Shane on Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:21 am

I'd like to see Depp as Strange.

Vincent Price would have been perfect though in the 60's
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby dark wesley on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:59 am

id like to see a fantastic four movie.

ah shit, they already made that one?
balls.
if only for a time machine. id right that wrong.

Nick Fury, Steranko style, with the george cloonster?
i thought chris columbus was making namor with haley joel osmet and some dolphins, and a guest apperence by robin williams as the bicentennial man?
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:52 pm

Dude. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends all the way.

Nah, I'm kiddin', I voted for Silver Surfer. There's something about that guy that's always appealed to me.... maybe his nakedness....
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nabocho on Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:55 pm

Kevin Nash IS Thor. He looks like a true viking

Surry phor my krappy inglish xD
Nabocho
GLIB

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:08 am

I'd like to see a GOOD Fantastic Four movie. I wouldn't mind seeing an anime adaptation of Ultimate Fantastic Four ala Akira or Neon Genesis...

That idea is so cool, I just high-fived my mom.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Comic Book Movies that Should be Made: The Vigilante

Postby beepingb on Sat May 17, 2008 5:36 pm

I am still astonished that no studio has made this film, which if handled correctly could be a best picture.

The best "dark comic" ever written in my opinion is at its peak with Alan Moore at the helm, but the ending is what makes it so memorable. When the Vigilante becomes the criminal he is fighting, what does he do?

This comic suffered from some awful ideas, "PEACEMAKER" and bad timing. It was dark before dark was cool. To some, it also seemed like a ripoff of the Punisher. But at its best the Vigilante is not a superhero story. The Vigilante for the most part (and should have always) exists outside of the DC universe. There is no Superman or superhero, just a deranged former prosecutor seeking vengeance for the murder of his family. (update it, think 9/11, deranged man fights one man war on domestic terrorists)

The Vigilante was a comic tragic hero and could produce a great film.
beepingb
GLIB

Return to Comic Books