Cerebus

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Cerebus

Postby Julio Alejandro on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 pm

You wanna talk about a potential cult classic of a film? Make a live action version of the indie comic Cerebus, and don't sugarcoat it either. It should be an unabashed, smart-ass, violent, possibly r-rated film. Cerebus has to have a great, gritty voice too. He has to sound like the cigar-smoking, beer-guzzling little asshole of an aardvark that he is. I even think that they should leave the offensive material in it. Let's petition for it!
Julio Alejandro
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Cerebus

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:06 am

moved to comic books as this isnt particularly a discussion on a movie nor movie news.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Julio Alejandro on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:36 pm

No prob. I'm sure it'll get the same amount of attention.
Julio Alejandro
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:47 pm

I've not heard of this comic before. What's it about?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I've not heard of this comic before. What's it about?

Why misogyny is a good thing.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Julio Alejandro on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:51 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebus

That's a pretty accurate description.
Julio Alejandro
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:11 pm

I remember it was the creator's idea to make an epic, 300-issue run, detailing the entire life of a single character. And one time Cerebus showed up in SPAWN as Spawn's guide through some kind of dream/hallucination world. That's the extent of my knowledge of the series.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Julio Alejandro on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:13 pm

If you're into dark humor, I highly recommend it.
Julio Alejandro
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Al Shut on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:19 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:I remember it was the creator's idea to make an epic, 300-issue run, detailing the entire life of a single character. And one time Cerebus showed up in SPAWN as Spawn's guide through some kind of dream/hallucination world. That's the extent of my knowledge of the series.

I#m still pissed because that didn't happen in the German edition. Spawn just exploded into green goo and in the next issue he woke up sying 'MAn that was weird' or something like that with an small almost unnoticable editorial note that blamed copyright issues and the Cerebus creator. I had no clue who was erally to blame so decided to drop Spawn and never start to touch Cerebus. :evil:
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Julio Alejandro on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:25 pm

I personally think Cerebus is one of the greatest comic books ever.
Julio Alejandro
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Al Shut wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:I remember it was the creator's idea to make an epic, 300-issue run, detailing the entire life of a single character. And one time Cerebus showed up in SPAWN as Spawn's guide through some kind of dream/hallucination world. That's the extent of my knowledge of the series.

I#m still pissed because that didn't happen in the German edition. Spawn just exploded into green goo and in the next issue he woke up sying 'MAn that was weird' or something like that with an small almost unnoticable editorial note that blamed copyright issues and the Cerebus creator. I had no clue who was erally to blame so decided to drop Spawn and never start to touch Cerebus. :evil:

That's queer. I think I remember Dave Sim being totally cool with the appearance. This was like, fourteen years ago, but I think I even remember a little note from Dave or something at the end of the issue, but maybe it was just Todd McFarlane explaining the backround of Cerebus.

Have you read SIN CITY: HELL AND BACK? I don't suppose the whole colour sequence with all the comic characters like Captain America and Hägar the Horrible was effed with in the German version at all. (And I totally wonder how they'll handle that sequence if HAB is filmed as part of SC2 or 3...)
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:40 pm

Julio Alejandro wrote:I personally think Cerebus is one of the greatest comic books ever.

It is definitely one of the greatest achievements ever... I remember I'd gotten into the series almost by accident. I was at a comics shop once and I noticed they had more than a handful of Cerebus single issues at ridiculously low prices (like 50 cents to one dollar per issue), so I picked 'em up on a lark, having heard positive things about the series beforehand. I'd liked what I was reading, but was still missing the bulk (he was at about issue 250 at the time, I think)... I visited another comics shop and noticed that they had a sizeable collection of Cerebus back issues at reasonable prices. I bargained the prices down pretty easily since I offered to buy the lot right there on the spot, ended up paying again a buck or less per issue. Didn't read the series to the end, but I've got most of it packed away in a box back at my folks' house. I'd read through most of it, and certainly Jaka's story was the pinnacle of the series, though much that followed (including the "misogynistic" parts) was captivating and potent. I didn't know/learn/realize the misogynistic controversy until a couple of years ago, I don't remember being particularly shocked by anything in Cerebus. Dave Sim is a little bit crazy, which probably comes from the fact that more and more as the series progressed he became a hermit, but I'm not convinced that he crossed any lines per se. Anyway I'll be heading back soon enough and rereading Cerebus is one of the things I'm looking forward to doing in my time off.

EDIT: I just checked and in fact I got into the series when it was about at issue 220, so I haven't seen anything after about 230-240 (I somehow fell out of collecting comics altogether at that time, not Cerebus's fault)... and it's also possible that issue #186, where said misogyny is supposed to happen, is missing from my collection and that I've never read it. It's been ten years since I've read Cerebus, so I'll have to check when I'm reunited with the collection.

EDIT2: This is from Dave Sim's blog, posted last year, and doesn't paint a very nice picture of the fellow I have to say... let's say that tact is not his forte: http://davesim.blogspot.com/2007/07/dave-sims-blogandmail-302-july-10th.html
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Julio Alejandro on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Jaka's Story was great because that was the peak of the drama in Cerebus.
Julio Alejandro
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Seppuku on Sat May 30, 2009 6:34 pm

OK, I'm only 5 issues in but I pledge by my sword to make it all the way to issue 300! This is like Bone with balls and brains. I don't care if it gets completely misogynistic: I found Issha 3, with Red Sophia ("I should have that wench fitted with a muzzle") hilarious. This shit is like a cross between Robert Crumb and Robert E Howard. And it getting all esoteric and mad in the later issues only sounds like a good thing to me. Anyone who thinks Canadians don't have a sense of humour obviously hasn't heard of Dave Simm.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 31, 2009 5:27 pm

I read it straight through from the 30s to the end, and it's just not worth the time after a certain point. I'd say that point is when it stopped being much about Cerebus and started being about Sim's life and thoughts as presented through the character of Cerebus. Once his wife left him, he started to change irrevocably. A hundred issues in or so, it stops being funny for the most part. You'll have a year of humor separated by two or three years of introspection on Sim's part, exploring his growing religious fundamentalism (this from a man who once was an atheist) or his misogyny (women are worthless except as mothers, literally a void which sucks away the souls of men) or just spending more than a year on a writer he adores (Wilde and Fitzgerald) - or abhors (Hemingway). He's also a megalomaniac, as can be seen when he bothers to run letters and reply, during the last ten years of the book.

He remains, however, a genius storyteller.

You have been warned.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:52 am

If found it interesting up until around Guys or Rick's Story (in the first quarter of the 200's)... but at that point I'd stopped reading comics altogether for a period, so perhaps I'll look up those last 75 or so issues of the series.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:40 pm

DennisMM wrote:I read it straight through from the 30s to the end, and it's just not worth the time after a certain point. I'd say that point is when it stopped being much about Cerebus and started being about Sim's life and thoughts as presented through the character of Cerebus. Once his wife left him, he started to change irrevocably. A hundred issues in or so, it stops being funny for the most part. You'll have a year of humor separated by two or three years of introspection on Sim's part, exploring his growing religious fundamentalism (this from a man who once was an atheist) or his misogyny (women are worthless except as mothers, literally a void which sucks away the souls of men) or just spending more than a year on a writer he adores (Wilde and Fitzgerald) - or abhors (Hemingway). He's also a megalomaniac, as can be seen when he bothers to run letters and reply, during the last ten years of the book.

You have been warned.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to order the trades one volume at a time, instead of a whole batch at once like I planned.

I really don't blame Sim for not sticking to writing Conan the Aardvark for 300 issues and making Cerebus more like American Splendor, just with an aardvark instead. If I had been writing Cerebus, I'd probably have lasted all of three issues before running out of ideas. That being said, if he really is such an ass as that blog entry Pacino linked to earlier implies, it might be hard going. I'm pretty hard to offend, and I don't think agreeing with someone is a prequisite to enjoying their work, but your comments on religious fundamentalism and extreme misogyny do have me a little nervous. Although at least he got the writers he likes and hates the right way around (yeah, I'm not much of a Hemingway fan, either).

I'm hoping he comes across more like a mad, ranting old Uncle and less like a hateful old toad.

DennisMM wrote:He remains, however, a genius storyteller.

You see, that's all that really matters to me. I don't expect comic book writers to be master moralists, so long as they're doing something different and entertaining with the medium.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:51 pm

I think his views and certainly how they appear in Cerebus are too interesting to offend me... and also I think it's pretty easy to pick at Sim for some of his ideas, but in terms of misogyny for instance, he considers himself more of an anti-feminist than a misogynist. But the dude is also insane, I think, and that too is reflected in Cerebus.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:40 pm

CEREBUS TV coming soon.

It is not, in fact, a TV adaptation of CEREBUS, but instead Dave Sim and Jim Steranko discussing important comic book artists.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:39 pm

Dear lord, now THAT is an event to behold! Thanks for the info Lecko, I keenly look forward to the launch of the show.

I'm only just discovering Steranko's influence (for lack of a more suitably reverential word) in comics, too bad his Nick Fury work has yet to see a good reprint in a complete collection. I picked up an early-ish reprint of some Nick Fury stuff, crazy that he was doing this shit in the '60s already. Wow.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Return to Comic Books