Best Graphic Novels that haven't been made into film

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Best Graphic Novels that haven't been made into film

Postby Rosebuddy on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Ready? Go!
Rosebuddy
GLIB

Re: Best Graphic Novels that haven't been made into film

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 pm

I don't wanna give the studios any ideas!!! Let's keep some graphic novels away from film!

There are loads though...

and some have no chance of being adapted... such as any "What If" type stories involving iconic heroes from Marvel/DC

But if we are looking at "properties,"

Then I can't see anything by Joe Sacco, Chester Brown, the Luna Brothers, the Hernandez brothers, Adrian Tomine, etc. being adapted into film... all have produced excellent work. Cerebus, Bone have yet to be adapted... Brian K. Vaughan's work has mostly not been adapted... the list can go on and on.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Slain.
Maxx.
Moon Knight.
ABC Warriors.
Chopper.
LOBO
Instant Corpse (Probably far too topical at the moment)

And also, just coming here and shouting GO! without adding any ideas of your own....bad form Peter!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Rosebuddy on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:56 pm

haha, I suppose you are right. Fine then. My dream of a Dark Knight Returns with Clint Eastwood will forever be it.
Rosebuddy
GLIB

Postby Al Shut on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Most stuff I've read doesn't seem to fit the graphic novel category (which I'm a bit unsure of what it actually looks like).

'To the Heart of the Storm' is excellent but would it make a good movie?

If we can tack together severall issues of a series that form an thematic unit I'd want to see a Blueberry southern treasure movie. A bit derivative of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly but who cares it's loads of fun.

The Dark KNight Returns still makes me regret I spend money on it (which happens rarely with comics)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Blankets
Pride of Baghdad
Cairo
12 Reasons Why I Love Her
Box Office Poison

Really, there are a ton of awesome stuff that has yet to be made into a film.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:00 pm

The Boys

...I hate the term "graphic novel".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:...I hate the term "graphic novel".

Visual Literature?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Comic Book Books! (Also an adaptation of "We3" would rule)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:18 pm

Ribbons wrote: (Also an adaptation of "We3" would rule)

That one's supposed to be on the way.
John Stevenson (Kung Fu Panda) directing, last I heard.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Yeah, I've read a little bit about it, but nothing's concrete yet. Speaking of which, has anybody here ever read CONCRETE? I haven't, but I hear good things.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Concrete is fairly outstanding, I'm sure others here have read more of it than I have though...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Seppuku on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:00 pm

That issue of Animal Man which parodied Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner, and summed up the whole of Grant Morrison's run in one issue, would make an excellent Pixar film or short. I think it was issue #5.

Alexandro Jodorowsky - The Technopriests. Maybe it's because Zoran Janjetov's artwork is possibly the best and most vivid I've ever seen, so reading it kind of played out like a movie in my mind, but I reckon this would be the epic sci-fi to end all sci-fis. Would it make its money back? Not a shot in hell. People are tasteless.

I think a few of the Sandman one-offs would make really cool shorts or movies. The issue with the cat whose kittens are tossed into a river by its master, and who then travels through the Dreamworld to meet the Sandma-, I mean Sandcat, would make a great half hour short. If done right, it could evoke that moody Watership Down vibe that fucked with so many of us when we were kids. Trouble is, unless you're making a series or a full movie, there's not much money to be made out of the venture. A story should be told in the amount of time it takes to be told...and that's that! This is why most comic adaptations end up shit; they're either padded out or pared down.

I also think Warren Ellis' Global Frequency would make a really good TV Series. The idea of the people creating a sort of military of their own, entirely separate from the government, is a great one. Also, a TV series with new characters every week kind of appeals to me. It seems to me that most shows slip into soap after the central premise has played itself out; here the only recurring character would be Miranda Zero. Of course, it could easily end up really bland or turn into technology pr0n if it wasn't handled right.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby instant_karma on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:27 pm

Seppuku wrote:I also think Warren Ellis' Global Frequency would make a really good TV Series. The idea of the people creating a sort of military of their own, entirely separate from the government, is a great one. Also, a TV series with new characters every week kind of appeals to me. It seems to me that most shows slip into soap after the central premise has played itself out; here the only recurring character would be Miranda Zero. Of course, it could easily end up really bland or turn into technology pr0n if it wasn't handled right.

A pilot of Global Frequency was made a couple of years back but never made it to air. It can be found on some file sharing sites.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:20 am

It was really good, though a bit cheap-looking. There were four recurring characters - Zero, Aleph, and two created to be "identification" characters. One was a cop who'd been fired, the other a physicist who was there to lead the cop around and explain science stuff to him. I have a copy.

American Flagg!
Midnight Nation
Scout
Grendel
Mage
Cerebus
Mr. Monster (the comedy issues)
Sandman
Sandman Mystery Theater
Preacher
Planetary (would make a better series)
Goodbye, Chunky Rice
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby instant_karma on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:59 am

Midnight Nation would make an excellent mini series.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Seppuku on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:24 am

instant_karma wrote:
Seppuku wrote:I also think Warren Ellis' Global Frequency would make a really good TV Series. The idea of the people creating a sort of military of their own, entirely separate from the government, is a great one. Also, a TV series with new characters every week kind of appeals to me. It seems to me that most shows slip into soap after the central premise has played itself out; here the only recurring character would be Miranda Zero. Of course, it could easily end up really bland or turn into technology pr0n if it wasn't handled right.

A pilot of Global Frequency was made a couple of years back but never made it to air. It can be found on some file sharing sites.

Have I mentioned yet that I think Tintin would make a really good cartoon? :wink:

Torrenting now. Thanks, guys!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:31 am

Seppuku wrote:
instant_karma wrote:

Have I mentioned yet that I think Tintin would make a really good cartoon? :wink:

Torrenting now. Thanks, guys!

Michelle Forbes is in it! and is a good pilot. too bad it never went to series.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:36 pm

Michele Forbes is fantastic as Miranda Zero! The actress who plays Aleph is pretty good. The cop character is not bad, played a bit too dumb. The scientist is pretty weak. Naturally, she's really cute and an insane overachiever. Both of the last two are very much stereotypes. The characters in the comic were far more believable, even when they did things like build private space vehicles.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:19 pm

I think making "the books of magic" into a movie would cause a bit of a stir. (actually according to wikipedia warners picked it up for development a few years before they picked up harry potter. Lets see what happens after movie no 8 is released :D )
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:23 pm

No one would believe it wasn't a ripoff of Potter. Except the smart people, of course. It would make an interesting idea. I'd like to see it start with the miniseries, with Tim Hunter being introduced to the paths of magic. You'd probably have to create new characters to show it to him, though, as some of those from the comic are tied up already.
DennisMM

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:26 am

DennisMM wrote:It was really good, though a bit cheap-looking. There were four recurring characters - Zero, Aleph, and two created to be "identification" characters. One was a cop who'd been fired, the other a physicist who was there to lead the cop around and explain science stuff to him. I have a copy.

American Flagg!
Midnight Nation
Scout
Grendel
Mage
Cerebus
Mr. Monster (the comedy issues)
Sandman
Sandman Mystery Theater
Preacher
Planetary (would make a better series)
Goodbye, Chunky Rice

Sandman would make an awesome series. It has a strong beginning and awesome end. It appeals to both women and men equally and the visuals would be stunning. There is also very little that ties it to the DC universe, so it is totally self contained. You can stretch the series into a solid 3 years or perhaps 3-4 films. I'm going to reread these bitches.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:36 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Whatever happened to the planned film version of Brian Michael Bendis's Torso? That could be cool.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Comic Books