Black Panther - Your Favorite Costume and Why?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Black Panther - Your Favorite Costume and Why?

Postby HoldyourfireAl on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:52 am

Classic

Modern

When I was a kid in the 70s, I was always excited when Black Panther would turn up in the George Perez era Avengers. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to buy too many books back then, so I never really got to "bond" with him.

In the 90s, Christopher Priest and Mark Teixeira relaunched Black Panther for Marvel. Finally, I was old enough to buy whatever I wanted and I really wanted to like this new Black Panther book!

I won't say I fell in love immediately. This book was different. It was more to absorb than a typical Marvel book at the time. There were many plotlines and many characters, but they were all intriguing. Once I got used to the "voice" and the pacing, I was hooked! I often compare it to The Sopranos. When I first caught a few episodes, I didn't get the big deal. Eventually, after watching 5 or so episodes back to back...I "got" it! The Sopranos became one of my all-time favorite TV series, just as Priest's Black Panther became one of my most beloved Marvel series.

Imagine a man as clever and as skilled a fighter as Batman with the technological resources of Tony Stark...that was Priest's Panther! Besides being a bonifide king, he was probably the one super hero that could ultimately take down the rest of Marvel's heroes if he had chosen to do so. As I read every issue, I just thought, "thank God this guy is on our side!"

When Sal Velluto and Bob Almond took over the art chores for a lengthy run, this title became sacred to me. To this day, I still miss it. I know Marvel is producing a new Black Panther series, but Priest's is the one that will always be closest to this fan's heart.

I also want to add that though I am a suburban white boy, it was an eye opener to witness a black man portrayed as one of the most powerful heroes at Marvel and probably the smartest! I respect Priest a lot for bringing such depth to the character.

So, get out there and support your local comics shop! Buy some back issues of this incredible run of Black Panther by Christopher Priest!

Modern gets my vote!

Al
Please visit us at www.statuemarvels.com for SNEAK PEEKS of the latest Bowen Designs Marvel Statues, as well as the largest galleries of comic fans' display rooms on the 'net!
HoldyourfireAl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Black Panther - Your Favorite Costume and Why?

Postby buster00 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:16 pm

The modern one has a more regal quality about it, but the classic, capeless costume would be more practical in combat. Maybe he could wear the modern outfit to, like, UN summits and diplomatic shit like that.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:36 pm

"No capes!" - Edna Mode, The Incredibles

The classic suit is way better.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Just a single black glove worked best for them.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Let's not forget that he sometimes wore a short cape. I believe that was a Kirby thing.

I much prefer classic to modern. Modern is pretty, but classic is a classic.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fang on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:41 am

sounds so delicious! Thanks
Fang
GLIB

Return to Comic Books