DC Entertainment (Now w/ Relaunch & Digital Bombshell!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

DC Entertainment (Now w/ Relaunch & Digital Bombshell!)

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:46 pm

In stunning news today, Warner Bros. has announced it will be taking a FIRM control over DC properties in what is now being called DC Entertainment

This announcement, hot on the heels of the recent acquisition of Marvel Comics by powerhouse Disney, has the industry reeling.

Among the key shifts, Paul Levitz is stepping down as President and Publisher of DC Comics. This, to make way for his return to writing the ongoing LEGION comic book.

Main page has the story up as well.

Wow. An absolute bombshell. So, let's hear it folks...what say you to this news?

EDIT: Here is the press release found on that shrew Nikke Fenke's blog:

WARNER BROS CREATES DC ENTERTAINMENT

Diane Nelson to Serve as President, DC Entertainment

Paul Levitz to Segue from President & Publisher of DC Comics
To Writer, Contributing Editor, and Overall Consultant to DC Entertainment

(September 9, 2009 – Burbank, CA) Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. (WBEI) has created DC Entertainment Inc., a new company founded to fully realize the power and value of the DC Comics brand and characters across all media and platforms, to be run by Diane Nelson, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, and Alan Horn, President & COO, Warner Bros.

DC Entertainment, a separate division of WBEI, will be charged with strategically integrating the DC Comics business, brand and characters deeply into Warner Bros. Entertainment and all its content and distribution businesses. DC Entertainment, which will work with each of the Warner Bros. divisions, will also tap into the tremendous expertise the Studio has in building and sustaining franchises and prioritize DC properties as key titles and growth drivers across all of the Studio, including feature films, television, interactive entertainment, direct-to-consumer platforms and consumer products. The DC Comics publishing business will remain the cornerstone of DC Entertainment, releasing approximately 90 comic books through its various imprints and 30 graphic novels a month and continuing to build on its creative leadership in the comic book industry.

In her new role, Nelson will report to Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, in order to best capitalize on DC Entertainment’s theatrical development and production activities and their importance to drive its overall business with each of the divisions of Warner Bros.

Nelson will bring her expertise and more than 20 years’ experience in creative brand management, strategic marketing and content development and production to ensuring DC Entertainment’s dual mission of marshalling Warner Bros.’ resources to maximize the potential of the DC brand while remaining respectful of and collaborative with creators, talent, fans and source material. Additionally, Nelson will continue to oversee the franchise management of the Harry Potter property, which she has done since 2000, and also continue to represent the Studio's interests with the author of the Harry Potter books, J.K. Rowling. Nelson will segue from her post as President, Warner Premiere but maintain oversight responsibilities of that division. (An executive succession plan for Warner Premiere will be announced shortly.)

Paul Levitz, who has served as President & Publisher of DC Comics since 2002, will segue from that role to return to his roots as a writer for DC and become a contributing editor and overall consultant to DCE. This transition will take place as expeditiously as possible without disrupting DC’s business operations.

In his new role, Levitz will be called upon for his deep knowledge and more than three-decade history with DC Comics, both as a comic creator and an executive. Besides serving as a writer on a number of DC Comics titles, he will be a contributing editor and consultant to DC Entertainment on projects in various media. Additionally, he will consult as needed on the transition and integration of the DC Comics organization into DC Entertainment and will utilize his unique experience, knowledge and relationships with the comics industry’s creative community to help achieve DC Entertainment’s goal of maximizing the value of DC properties. Further, Levitz will advise DC Entertainment on creative and rights-holder relationships, in particular regarding the legacy relationships that have been a part of DC Comics for decades.

Widely recognized and respected for his support of writers, artists and creators in the comics industry, Levitz is best known creatively for his work with DC Comics, having written most of the classic DC characters, including Batman, Wonder Woman and the Superman newspaper strip. At Comicon International in 2008, Levitz was awarded the Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award as part of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, the only industry executive ever so honored.

“DC Comics and its super hero characters are truly touchstones of popular culture, and the formation of DC Entertainment is a major step in our company’s efforts to realize the full potential of this incredible wellspring of creative properties,” said Meyer. “Diane knows our studio as a creative executive, a marketer and a senior manager, and this varied background will help her effectively and creatively integrate the DC brand and properties across all our businesses. We’re also thrilled that Paul will remain involved with DC and we’ll be able to tap his expertise to help us reach our goals for this new business.”

“It’s no secret that DC has myriad rich and untapped possibilities from its deep library of iconic and lesser-known characters,” said Horn. “While we’ve had great success in films and television, the formation of DC Entertainment will help us to bring more DC properties across additional platforms to fans around the world, while maintaining brand integrity and authenticity. Diane is a terrific choice to lead DC Entertainment, and with Paul in his new role as a valued consultant and contributing editor, both our company and comic fans win.”

“Based on the great success we’ve had working with DC Comics to create some of the most popular and successful super hero films of all time, I’ve long believed that there was much more we could do across all of Warner Bros.’ businesses with this great body of characters and stories,” said Robinov. “The prioritization of DC and the creation of DC Entertainment is a great opportunity that reaches far beyond the film group. There are endless creative possibilities to build upon the many significant successes already achieved by my colleagues Kevin Tsujihara and the Home Entertainment Group in the videogame, home video and direct-to-platform arenas and Bruce Rosenblum and the Television Group in live-action, animated and digital series. Collectively, we have the ability to grow a body of properties highlighting the iconic characters and the diversity of the creative output of DC Comics.”

“The founding of DC Entertainment fully recognizes our desire to provide both the DC properties and fans the type of content that is only possible through a concerted cross-company, multi-platform effort,” said Nelson. “DC Entertainment will help us to formally take the great working relationships between DC Comics and various Warner Bros. businesses to the next level in order to maximize every opportunity to bring DC’s unrivalled collection of titles and characters to life.”

“After so many roles at DC, it’s exciting to look forward to focusing on my writing and being able to remain a part of the company I love as it grows into its next stage,” said Levitz. “It’s a new golden age for comics and DC’s great characters, and I hope my new position will allow me to contribute to that magic time.”

DC Comics will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2010 (NEW FUN COMICS #1, the first DC comic, began publishing in 1935), at which time more explicit details regarding DC Entertainment’s corporate and management structure, film and content release slate, creative roster and business objectives will be unveiled at a multi-faceted anniversary celebration and press conference in the first quarter of the year.

Current DC properties in development and/or production at Warner Bros. Entertainment include:

-- “Human Target” is being produced by Warner Bros. Television for a mid-season debut on Fox.

-- “Midnight Mass” is in series development at Warner Bros. Television for consideration for the 2010-11 season.

-- “Jonah Hex,” Warner Bros. Pictures’ supernatural Western starring Josh Brolin, Megan Fox and John Malkovich, recently wrapped production in Louisiana.

-- “The Losers,” Dark Castle/Warner Bros. Pictures’ action-adventure drama starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana and Chris Evans, began principal photography mid-July in Puerto Rico.

-- “The Green Lantern," Warner Bros. Pictures’ next big superhero tentpole release, recently cast Ryan Reynolds as the titular character. The film has a projected second quarter 2011 release date.

-- “Lobo,” based on the DC Comics anti-hero, has Guy Ritchie attached as a director; Joel Silver, Akiva Goldsman and Andrew Rona are producing for Silver Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures.

-- Warner Premiere’s direct-to-platform DVD animated release of "Green Lantern: First Flight" debuted July 28.

-- Warner Bros. Animation currently produces “Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” which airs on Cartoon Network.

-- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment released “Batman: Arkham Asylum” on August 25, a dark, action packed videogame adventure for Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation3 computer entertainment system and Games for Windows.

Prior to being named President, DC Entertainment, Nelson most recently served as President, Warner Premiere since its founding in 2006. Before that, Nelson served as Executive Vice President, Global Brand Management, Warner Bros. Entertainment, with the primary responsibility of working cross-divisionally and throughout Time Warner to maximize and optimize all the various windows and outlets available to the Studio’s signature franchises, brands and event properties on a global basis. In this post, Nelson’s primary focus was the management of the Harry Potter brand, which she has overseen since the brand’s launch at the Studio in 1999. These efforts have helped drive the success of the brand to become the most successful film franchise of all time, as well as a respected consumer property that has generated billions of dollars for the Studio. At Global Brand Management, Nelson and her team of more than 15 employees worked in all media and platforms to support a number of other key franchise properties, including “The Matrix Reloaded,” “The Matrix Revolutions,” “Batman Begins,” “The Dark Knight,” “Happy Feet,” “Polar Express” and “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” among others.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Tue May 31, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: DC Entertainment

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:22 pm

not a word about Superman, though.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Indeed, mentioning this exciting new endeavor without word on your BIGGEST property? Very telling. I think the debate rages internally, but I would say the Singer vision is all but dead.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:41 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Indeed, mentioning this exciting new endeavor without word on your BIGGEST property? Very telling. I think the debate rages internally, but I would say the Singer vision is all but dead.

I would say that there probably is no particular vision for Superman at the moment.

Does this news actually have much effect on things? It seems to me to just be a cabinet reschuffle at Warners and a bit of rebranding.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 pm

the current rights dilema in regards to Superman is probablly a good reason it wasn't mentioned...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:57 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Indeed, mentioning this exciting new endeavor without word on your BIGGEST property? Very telling. I think the debate rages internally, but I would say the Singer vision is all but dead.

I would say that there probably is no particular vision for Superman at the moment.

Does this news actually have much effect on things? It seems to me to just be a cabinet reschuffle at Warners and a bit of rebranding.

Well, yes, insofar as Levitz is out. He has had an enormous influence on DC Comics ever since he took the post of Publisher/President. It also brings the publisher into greater synergy with their corporate bosses.

Ultimately, we do not know what the end game will be. However, this is a fairly large shift in the way things are run.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:58 pm

King Psyz wrote:the current rights dilema in regards to Superman is probablly a good reason it wasn't mentioned...

Very true...

BUT HOW DARE YOU POST IN MY THREAD AFTER YOU JUST VOTED TO LYNCH ME!!!!!

:twisted: :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:31 pm

I think it's a fine idea. Fine. Just a fine idea.

I am now going to get started on that Prez script I've been putting off.

Also, Brother Power The Geek.

Seriously, I really do think it's a good idea. Gotta keep up with the Disneys, ja?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:15 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Anyone who refers to art, even pop art, as "brands," needs to be shaken.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:37 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Is Harry Potter’s Barbara Marcus The New Publisher Of DC Comics?
Rich Johnston wrote:It’s been a long time coming since Bleeding Cool first reported the arrival of Diane Nelson at DC Comics, made President of the newly formed DC Entertainment - and the subsequent resignation of Paul Levitz from both President and Publisher roles at DC Comics.

But who to be the new DC Comics Publisher? People have been expecting DC Comics to announce a new appointment for months now. DC Comics have big plans ahead (I hope to report more on them later today) and they need a permanent captain at the helm to steer the rudder. The anticipation is killing some. There have certainly been many favourites. We ran a few suggestions here, Newsarama ran a few suggestions there.

Well, as of today I’m hearing about a new favourite. And her name is Barbara Marcus.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:37 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Is H arry Potter’s Barbara Marcus The New Publisher Of DC Comics?
Rich Johnston wrote:It’s been a long time coming since Bleeding Cool first reported the arrival of Diane Nelson at DC Comics, made President of the newly formed DC Entertainment - and the subsequent resignation of Paul Levitz from both President and Publisher roles at DC Comics.

But who to be the new DC Comics Publisher? People have been expecting DC Comics to announce a new appointment for months now. DC Comics have big plans ahead (I hope to report more on them later today) and they need a permanent captain at the helm to steer the rudder. The anticipation is killing some. There have certainly been many favourites. We ran a few suggestions here, Newsarama ran a few suggestions there.

Well, as of today I’m hearing about a new favourite. And her name is Barbara Marcus.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 am

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: DC Entertainment (NOW W/ 100% MORE JOHNS AND LEE!)

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 15, 2010 6:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 16, 2010 7:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DC Entertainment (NOW W/ 100% MORE WEST COAST)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:01 pm

From SHH:
DC Entertainment Announces Bi-Coastal Realignment Strategy
DC Entertainment, as part of its ongoing strategy to integrate the DC Comics business, brand and characters into Warner Bros. Entertainment’s content and distribution operations, will relocate its business functions related to and supporting multi-media and digital content production to Burbank, California. DCE’s publishing operations will remain in New York, continuing DC Comics’ 75-plus year legacy of leadership in the comic book arena. These announcements were made today by Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment.

“These organizational changes reinforce the strengths of DC’s greatest legacies – most importantly its people and its creative talent – and offer greater opportunity for maximum growth, success and efficiency in the future,” said Nelson. “Our two offices will stretch and build their respective areas of focus, while prioritizing and aggressively striving to connect and cooperate more strongly than ever before between them and with their colleagues at Warner Bros.”

“This strategic business realignment allows us to fully integrate and expand the DC brand in feature films as well as across multiple distribution platforms of Warner Bros. and Time Warner,” said Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, to whom Nelson reports. “We are creating a seamless, cohesive unit that will bring even more great characters and content to consumers everywhere.”

The relocation process is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2011, with DCE’s businesses related to the development and production of feature films, television, digital media, video games and consumer products as well as the company’s administrative functions relocating to a Warner Bros.-managed property in Burbank, CA. DC Comics’ publishing operations, which have been the bedrock since the company’s inception with an annual output of over 1,100 comic books, 300 graphic novels and MAD magazine, will remain in New York. The bi-coastal business units will work more closely together to continue elevating the powerful DCE brand.

DC Entertainment was founded in September 2009 to fully realize the power and value of the DC Comics brand and characters across all media and platforms. The senior management team responsible for shepherding DCE through this reorganization is comprised of Nelson, Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer; John Rood, Executive Vice President, Sales, Marketing and Business Development; and Jim Lee and Dan DiDio, Co-Publishers of DC Comics.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DC Entertainment (NOW W/ 100% MORE WEST COAST)

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 pm

TheButcher wrote:From SHH:
DC Entertainment Announces Bi-Coastal Realignment Strategy
DC Entertainment, as part of its ongoing strategy to integrate the DC Comics business, brand and characters into Warner Bros. Entertainment’s content and distribution operations, will relocate its business functions related to and supporting multi-media and digital content production to Burbank, California. DCE’s publishing operations will remain in New York, continuing DC Comics’ 75-plus year legacy of leadership in the comic book arena. These announcements were made today by Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment.

“These organizational changes reinforce the strengths of DC’s greatest legacies – most importantly its people and its creative talent – and offer greater opportunity for maximum growth, success and efficiency in the future,” said Nelson. “Our two offices will stretch and build their respective areas of focus, while prioritizing and aggressively striving to connect and cooperate more strongly than ever before between them and with their colleagues at Warner Bros.”

“This strategic business realignment allows us to fully integrate and expand the DC brand in feature films as well as across multiple distribution platforms of Warner Bros. and Time Warner,” said Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, to whom Nelson reports. “We are creating a seamless, cohesive unit that will bring even more great characters and content to consumers everywhere.”

The relocation process is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2011, with DCE’s businesses related to the development and production of feature films, television, digital media, video games and consumer products as well as the company’s administrative functions relocating to a Warner Bros.-managed property in Burbank, CA. DC Comics’ publishing operations, which have been the bedrock since the company’s inception with an annual output of over 1,100 comic books, 300 graphic novels and MAD magazine, will remain in New York. The bi-coastal business units will work more closely together to continue elevating the powerful DCE brand.

DC Entertainment was founded in September 2009 to fully realize the power and value of the DC Comics brand and characters across all media and platforms. The senior management team responsible for shepherding DCE through this reorganization is comprised of Nelson, Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer; John Rood, Executive Vice President, Sales, Marketing and Business Development; and Jim Lee and Dan DiDio, Co-Publishers of DC Comics.

From the comic book news thread:

Fried Gold wrote:DC Entertainment Moving to Los Angeles, Absorbs WildStorm

Today on the official DC blog, DC announced their plans to pack up and move from their Manhattan offices to Los Angeles in order to achieve a greater focus on film, while ending the WildStorm Universe and absorbing its characters under the DC banner.

Yeah, it is a weird announcement. The "comics" side will still apparently stay in New York. Everything else, including the completely ambiguous sounding "administrative" side, will move to the WB offices in Burbank.

This is a fairly huge shake up, but certainly not as earth shattering as a complete move to the west coast would have been.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Creators remember Wildstorm - http://www.ifanboy.com/content/articles ... _WildStorm (Warren Ellis' bit is quite good.)

And a nice opinion piece about it - http://www.geekosystem.com/wildstorm-dc ... haracters/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:34 pm

Bob Harras named first DC EiC since 2002!

You will recall that Dan Didio basically was the EiC, but his title was Executive Editor. Now that he is Co-Publisher, the title has returned.

Harras was formerly the Editor of DC's Collected Editions, and EiC @ Marvel Comics from 95-2000.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: DC Entertainment (NOW W/ 100% Less Wildstorm & New EiC!)

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Superman Lawsuit

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Superman Lawsuit

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 am

THR, Esq. EXCLUSIVE:
'Superman' Lawsuit Delay Lifted; Depositions of Siegel and Shuster Families to Begin Immediately
Matthew Belloni wrote:A federal judge has just lifted the delay in the long-running Superman litigation, setting the stage for Warner Bros. to proceed with key depositions of the families of Man of Steel creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel.

As we reported last month, the judge overseeing the high-profile Superman case delayed the matter indefinitely as lawyers for Warner Bros.' DC Comics and the heirs of Shuster and Siegel awaited an appeal of a procedural ruling that could have taken many months. Warners challenged that ruling, and now U.S. District Judge Otis D. Wright has modified the order, allowing the studio to restart its information-gathering and "proceed with full discovery of [heirs] Joanne Siegel, Laura Siegel Larson, Jean Peavy and Mark Peavy."

The Nov. 16 order is the latest in the cartoonishly nasty battle between Warners and the Superman heirs over rights to the lucrative character. After a judge ruled a few years back that the studio might lose certain copyrights associated with the Man of Steel, Warners sued Marc Toberoff, the attorney for the families, claiming he improperly convinced them to back out of deals and terminate their copyright assignments relating to Superman.

Now, as Warners fast-tracks its planned Christopher Nolan-produced, Zack Snyder-directed Superman reboot, Toberoff is fighting back agressively against that lawsuit, filing a host of motions attempting to have the case dismissed and Warners punished for targeting him personally. Now, thanks to this ruling, Warners will soon have its chance to ask questions of Toberoff's clients.

Warners lead attorney Dan Petrocelli tells THR that the depositions, which were initially scheduled for Nov. 15, will be rescheduled immediately. We've left word for Toberoff and will update will his comment.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:55 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Geoff Johns And His West Coast Super Friends
Rich Johnston wrote:Last year over in Burbank, LA, within Warner Bros, DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns put a team together that included a number of recently-made-redundant DC Comics editors. And no one talked about it.

Until now.

Titled DC Entertainment Creative Affairs, the group has a rather roving brief. Working on multimedia exploitation such as animation and live action, including DC Nation, Young Justice, Brave & Bold, Smallville’s final season (including another Geoff Johns’ episode), the Sandman TV show and other not-yet-announced projects up and running for development (including a possible animated adaptation of Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns), it’s basically a Bullpen for a different multi-media world and a veritable West Coast Justice League Of DC Comics.

Working alongside DC Entertainment Creative Services, thy work in partnership and collaboration with other Warner Bros groups including the Warner Pictures, Warner Home Video, Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment, Cartoon Network, WBTV and Warner Bros. Consumer Products, further embedding DC into Warners as a whole.

So what team members has Geoff assembled? And, as with any super team, do they all have different abilities to be utlised as the team leader see fit? Okay, here are the people I’ve been told about.

Creative Director for DC Entertainment is ex-DC Comics Senior Group Editor Mike Carlin, liaising with WB Animation, he is writing and developing outlines, character and concept summaries based on DC Comics, Vertigo and MAD Magazine properties for all DC Entertainment platforms. This includes reviewing scripts for animation and TV projects both in production and pre-production.

We can’t wait for the Doctor Light direct-to-DVD movie.

The development team also includes Creative Executives ex-DC editor Adam Schlagman and ex-Vertigo editor Pornsak Pichetshote, working on projects based around the DC Universe and Vertigo imprints respectively. Adam is credited as such in Green Lantern today.

Two Creative Associates in the group are ex-DC associate editor, Sean Ryan and Aria Moffly, who used to be assistant to ex-DC Senior VP Greg Novek who worked on all the DC movies and TV shows until last year.

John Morgan from the licensing publishing side of DC, has become Creative Director of Interactive for DC Entertainment, developing games and related properties based on DC’s properties. He’s the fellow who, at a previous publisher, acquired and edited the Sookie Stackhouse series that became HBO’s True Blood…

He was joined by Creative Associates Shawn Kittelsen who worked at DC on gaming development and Victoria Setian who worked at DC marketing DC’s games. They concentrate on the likes of Arkham City, Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters and the in-development Fables.

Kevin Kiniry, who had been part of DC’s licensing department, is now the new Executive Director of Creative Services.

Jim Fletcher, Design Director of DC Direct, now heads up Creative Services, working with previous DC Direct Art Directors Bryon Webster and Evan Metcalf, and Art Director, Product Design and Engineering, Shawn Knapp, former DC Direct Product Engineer. DC Direct’s Brian Walters has been promoted to Associate Art Director.

Senior Art Director at DC, Janice Walker is now Senior Art Director, Creative Services with a focus on overall media design, while DC Graphic Designer Aram Isaacs has been promoted to Assistant Art Director.

So that’s skill sets in comics, games, TV, movies, toys, statues, photography, design, multi-media and interactive all together in one Burbank building.

At the time of the redundancies last year I expressed surprise at, say, the departure of Pornsak, considering how well he was regarded by DC and Warners, and I was even more surprised that no other comics publisher snapped him up on his departure.

But seems that a number of redundancies last year were in essence, negotiated transfers from one Warner wing to another.

And in a further twist, a number of the now-ex-editors working for this new department have been hired by Eddie Berganza to write comics involved in the Flashpoint crossover. I understand that this is more of a one-off affair however, seen as an opportunity for career development and a way of using people very intimate with the universe of characters as they get all changed around, while crossover showrunner Geoff Johns looks on…

So that’s the team. As far as I can make out.

Look forward to a big East/West coast reunion of DC people come this San Diego.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 18, 2011 12:15 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 29, 2011 10:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 31, 2011 5:41 pm

And the bombshells have been dropped!

DC will re-launch their ENTIRE LINE with new #1's (including Action and Detective Comics).

The WHOLE line will be available DAY AND DATE digitally.

And Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will launch JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 with the Big Seven!

Find it all here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: DC Entertainment (NOW W/ Relaunch and Digital Bombshell!

Postby The Vicar on Tue May 31, 2011 6:51 pm

Wow. That's amazing. Ballsy. We'll see.
Sounds like they're taking a page out from J J Abrams Star Trek reboot -
drop everything that happened before and rewrite the legend.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Yup, DC are going all in.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 31, 2011 7:05 pm

So will they end all the current titles like they did pre-Crisis?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:And the bombshells have been dropped!

DC will re-launch their ENTIRE LINE with new #1's (including Action and Detective Comics).

The WHOLE line will be available DAY AND DATE digitally.

And Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will launch JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 with the Big Seven!

Find it all here

From Hero Complex:
DC will restart all of its titles with No. 1 in September [updated]
DC Comics is going back to the starting point in September, renumbering its entire lineup of DC Universe titles with No. 1 and retooling nearly all of its major characters, including Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman.

At the same time, the company, which has been publishing comics for 76 years, also said it would start selling digital copies of its printed ongoing superhero titles through apps and a website the same day they’re released in comic shops, a move dubbed by the industry as day-and-date sales. That will affect the company’s superhero titles.

That means DC is joining a movement already embraced by Archie Comics, which began same-day digital and print sales in April, along with other smaller publishers. DC’s rival, Marvel Comics, has not yet implemented such a move but has routinely held more market share every year since 2002, based on sales statistics from Diamond Comic Distributors.

USA Today reported that DC’s move will start with the first issue of “Justice League” No. 1 in September, which will reunite the classic lineup of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman and Green Lantern. The newspaper reported that 52 issues, all starting at No. 1, will be released starting at the end of the summer. “Justice League” is the first and will be written by DC’s chief creative officer Geoff Johns and illustrated by co-publisher Jim Lee, the first time the pair have collaborated together, the company said.

Lee has also designed the costumes of more than 50 characters, the paper reported. In a note to direct-market retailers, Bob Wayne, senior vice president for sales, said by rebooting the superhero titles and moving to day-and-date digital sales, DC was positioning itself to let readers experience characters in a new light.

“We have taken great care in maintaining continuity where most important, but fans will see a new approach to our storytelling,” he said in the letter. “Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes. Our characters are always being updated; however, this is the first time all of our characters will be presented in a new way all at once.”

It remains to be seen if the renumbering will affect such long-published titles like Action Comics, which reached No. 900 this year, and Detective Comics, which is at No. 877. Some of DC’s titles are already available digitally through apps and in March it joined Comixology’s Digital Storefront Affiliate program, which lets shops sell digital comics along with printed copies.

The move comes after the conclusion of the company’s epic “Flashpoint” mini-series, also penned by Johns, that has changed the face of the DC Universe and made some well-known characters into different versions of their normal, and entrenched, personalities– Associated Press
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2011 7:52 pm

From Newsarama:
DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide
A fully revamped DC Universe for a "more modern and diverse 21st century", over 50 new #1 issues, a Geoff Johns-Jim Lee Justice League, and the first of the major comic book publishers to fully embrace "same-day" digital distribution...

That is the breaking news DC Entertainment Tuesday afternoon, finally and officially breaking their silence about their post-Flashpoint plans for their flagship line of comic book titles.

The center of intense rumor and speculation for months now, DC confirmed today that the fictional shared universe of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Lanterm and more will undergo a revamp of their oft-rewritten 76 year-plus history of shared continuity.

Geoff Johns promised USA Today "a focus on the interpersonal relationships within DC's trademark superteam." "What's the human aspect behind all these costumes?" he tells the publication. "That's what I wanted to explore."

The revamp will reportedly involve "introducing readers to stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events."

Jim Lee reportedly "spearheaded" the redesign of more than 50 costumes to make characters "more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old."

"We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," added co-publisher Dan DiDio. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Along with the revamp, and sure to cause uproar among those who buy comic books as collectibles, all DC Universe titles will also be renumbered with new #1 issues, including the industry's two longest-running titles - Action Comics, the birthplace of Superman - and Detective Comics, the home of Batman and namesake of the publisher - the former of which recently published its 900th issue, with the latter in the 880s.

The first officially announced title and creative team of the new era was revealed as well. DC Entertainment co-publisher Jim Lee and Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns will be teaming as artist and writer, respectively, on Justice League #1, launching August 31st and starring Batman, Superman,Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman.

Finally, DC also announced they plan to make all of their titles available for sale in digital format on the same day as their publlished counterparts, starting with Justice League #1. While the decision could probably be described as inevitable, the announcement will still likely be poorly received among some segments of "Direct Market" comic book retailers, whose stores account for the current backbone of monthly comic book sales.

DC has previously taken steps to ease the eventual move to fully same-day digital distribution, announcng in March a partnership with digital distributor comiXology allowing individual retailers to sell digital editions of DC comics through their websites, for a share of the online retail price.

The publisher also sent a letter directly to direct market retailers addressing their announcement. In it, SVP, Sales, DC Entertainment Bob Wayne told retailers, "DC Comics will support this initiative with an innovative mix of publicity, promotional efforts and retailer incentives designed to maximize your opportunity to increase your DC sales. We will discuss additional details of these incentives when we get closer to solicitation later in June."

"We're allowing people who have never bought a comic book in their lives to download them on portable media devices and take a look," Lee said. "Having the ability to give people access to these comics with one button click means we're going to get a lot of new readers."

Lee told USA Today what makes this plan so ambitious is that it's not just about changes in characters or costumes but setting the stage for how comic books will be consumed in the future.

"We're trying to set the table for the DC Universe's future success and health."

More information, including other creative teams, titles, and character changes, is expected with September 2011 solicitations, which should be released Monday June 13, 2011.

Reached for any immediate reaction to DC's new digital publication policy, Marvel Comics declined to comment Tuesday afternoon.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 pm

From USA TODAY:
DC Comics unleashes a new universe of superhero titles
DC Comics has a new strategy to be No. 1 in comic books: all-new No. 1s.

Starting this summer, the publisher will re-number its entire DC Universe of titles, revamping characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and others from its 76-year history for a more modern and diverse 21st century.

The first book to be released under this new era: Justice League No. 1, out Aug. 31, a series by writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee that reunites the famous lineup of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Johns promises a focus on the interpersonal relationships within DC's trademark superteam. "What's the human aspect behind all these costumes?" he says. "That's what I wanted to explore."

In September, another 51 first issues will debut, introducing stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events. Lee spearheaded the costumes' redesign to make characters more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old.

"We really want to inject new life in our characters and line," says Dan DiDio, co-publisher of DC with Lee. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

In an even more important move in the competitive comics industry, DC is making all of the re-numbered titles available digitally via apps and a DC website the same day they arrive in comic shops. It marks the first time a major comics publisher has done so with its popular superhero titles.

The company has come in second to Marvel every year since 2002 in market share, according to Diamond Comic Distributors.

While the two companies are making millions off movie adaptations of their comic books, print sales for both have dropped in recent years, as new technology gives readers many more options.

"We're allowing people who have never bought a comic book in their lives to download them on portable media devices and take a look," Lee says.

"Having the ability to give people access to these comics with one button click means we're going to get a lot of new readers."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 pm

I don't know what to think about this. It seems like a vain attempt at grabbing non-comics readers, but why would they care about new first issues? And doesn't this wipe out a great deal of the groundwork they've laid to revitalize existing characters the past few years? I'm thinking GL, Flash, Superman, Batman. Just how much will be changed?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Tue May 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Sounds a bit like drowning the baby in the bathwater, THEN throwing it out.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 31, 2011 9:59 pm

The re-numbering I can do without. But I can follow their logic.

The day-and-date digital announcement is a home run. This is long overdue and I am thrilled about it. I look forward to this.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 31, 2011 10:08 pm

The full Jim Lee art for the Justice League relaunch:

Note that Martian Manhunter has been replaced with Cyborg.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2011 10:56 pm

DC Address Line "Revamp" in Letter to Comic Book Retailers

DC Comic addressed their just announced changes to their publishing line in a letter from Senior VP, Sales Bob Wayne, sent to Direct Market retailers. The full letter follows below...
A LETTER ON THE DC UNIVERSE AND SEPTEMBER 2011

To our comics retail partners,

In the time I've worked at DC Comics, I've witnessed any number of industry defining moments. But today, I bring you what is perhaps the biggest news to date.

Many of you have heard rumors that DC Comics has been working on a big publishing initiative for later this year. This is indeed an historic time for us as, come this September, we are relaunching the entire DC Universe line of comic books with all new first issues. 52 of them to be exact.

In addition, the new #1s will introduce readers to a more modern, diverse DC Universe, with some character variations in appearance, origin and age. All stories will be grounded in each character's legend - but will relate to real world situations, interactions, tragedy and triumph.

This epic event will kick off on Wednesday, August 31st with the debut of a brand new JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, which pairs Geoff Johns and Jim Lee, together for the first time. (Yes, this is the same week as FLASHPOINT #5.)

We think our current fans will be excited by this evolution, and that it will make jumping into the story extremely accessible to first-time readers - giving them a chance to discover DC's characters and stories.

We are positioning ourselves to tell the most innovative stories with our characters to allow fans to see them from a new angle. We have taken great care in maintaining continuity where most important, but fans will see a new approach to our storytelling.
Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes. Our characters are always being updated; however, this is the first time all of our characters will be presented in a new way all at once.

Dan DiDio, Bob Harras and Eddie Berganza have been working diligently to pull together some of the best creative teams in the industry. Over 50 new costumes will debut in September, many updated and designed by artist Jim Lee, ensuring that the updated images appeal to the current generation of readers.

The publication of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 will also launch digital day-and-date for all ongoing superhero comic book titles - an industry first.

On Wednesday, June 1st, this initiative is expected to be announced in a nationwide feature article, and we're hopeful the news will be picked up by media outlets around the world. Throughout the month we'll reveal more details of our plans with articles in both the mainstream and comics press and on June 13th the Diamond catalog solicitations for all of the September titles will be released, followed by the June 29th street date of the print version of Previews.

DC Comics will support this initiative with an innovative mix of publicity, promotional efforts and retailer incentives designed to maximize your opportunity to increase your DC sales. We will discuss additional details of these incentives when we get closer to solicitation later in June.

We'll be updating you more through email as September nears. But today, I hope your share our enthusiasm for this historic news!

Sincerely,

Bob Wayne
SVP, Sales
DC Entertainment
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:10 am

From CBR:
Details Emerge On DC's Relaunch

Today, it became official: DC Comics will relaunch the majority of its publishing line this September with a wave of new #1 issues starting with "Justice League" by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee. The news comes on the heels of weeks of rumors and speculation about the fate of the DC Universe line and draws even more questions about what else may lay around the bend.

After speaking with multiple sources throughout the industry on the condition of anonymity, CBR News has learned some of the salient details of DC's September roster, starting with the perhaps telling news that the publisher plans to launch a full 52 monthly titles with #1 issues across the month with 13 new titles shipping each week. The number holds some significance for longtime DC readers as 52 is the number of parallel earths making up DC's multiverse, and CBR has confirmed that the #1 launches will be accompanied by a major reboot of continuity with many pieces of DC's current status quo being rewritten and undone including character relationships and even the existence of some cast members.

Included in the 52 series will be:

* A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.

* Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

* Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

* Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

* Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

* Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

* Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

* Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.

The other seismic shakeup that remains unconfirmed is whether long-standing titles "Action Comics" and "Detective Comics" would also renumber with brand new first issues. However, at this time, CBR has found no confirmation one way or the other on the fate of those titles. DC Comics offered no comment on the above information.

What has been said by many sources is that a number of the new titles will feature new characters or characters now serving in non-traditional roles. However, the total number of titles changed or launched new shouldn't shift the overall output of DC's line too much as CBR sales analyst John Mayo explained, "By my count, there were 59 DC Universe titles in the June solicitations, not counting the DC Retroactive titles, 'DC Universe Online Legends' or 'Doc Savage' and 'The Spirit.' Subtracting out titles with more than one issue in June reduces the number by three leaving 56 titles in the DC Universe.

"52 new #1s is close enough to not make a huge difference. To me, this is the normal fluctuation of the number of titles from month to month."

Of course, while all the changes will doubtlessly stir discussion and debate within fan communities, a more practical question remains: will it work? The comics market has been extremely soft in the past few years of the Great Recession, and there is little precedence to compare such a line-wide relaunch to.

"If they are doing something where they're shaking up continuity and starting over from there, that has been shown to have an effect [n sales]," said comics sales historian John Jackson Miller of Comichron.com. Miller spoke with CBR News before official word of the new #1s came out. "If you want to go back to 'Crisis On Infinite Earths,' we did see some attention coming to titles that hadn't had it before. Although, some of that attention did not come from 'Crisis.' We talk about a big renumbering there, but like with 'Superman' going back to #1 – that didn't happen because of 'Crisis.' That happened because John Byrne had done 'Man of Steel.' That's a completely separate reboot. Did Superman sales improve? Yeah they did, but would they have improved that much if John had just taken over existing Superman continuity and not rebooted the series? That's a question we'll never have an answer to.

"If we're talking about a full-scale continuity reboot, then we're getting into the territory of 'Heroes Reborn'...those numbers improved on the first issues and then by the third and fourth issues were back to where they had been before. There are some reasons behind that, which also get into the element of not just continuity but also renumbering, but it was a pure reboot in the sense that those characters left their previous existence. It's different than something like the Ultimate Universe, which was a reboot that ran concurrent with the regular Marvel Universe."

Of course, the comics market is in a different place today than it was in 1996 when Lee last took a role in rebuilding a major superhero franchise wholesale with "Heroes Reborn," and although there will be some similarities, the new DC relaunch is both a vastly different beast in terms of sheer comics and in terms of the in-story continuity elements at play. Retailer Mike Malve, owner of Arizona's Atomic Comics chain, explained before the news broke that for his part "I applaud them if they do do #1s. And everybody is going to be against me saying this, but I applaud them because as a business, they're hurting so bad – as we all are. Look at the numbers. They're selling 40,000 or 60,000 of a book that three years ago was at 80,000. These days, they're not hitting those numbers, and we're not gaining a lot of new customers right now. We're trying to hold on to what we've got.

"I think this is a good thing for the industry. I just hope that if they do this, they should have an advertising plan and a marketing plan to get new readers and not just expect us to do it," Malve added. "I want these stories to be friendly for new readers, because that's one of the things I felt about the Point-1 initiative at Marvel. I didn't think those stories were new reader-friendly at all."

Malve did say that downsides exist to such an aggressive publishing change at the retail level, saying "If they're all coming out at once, it would hurt the books. You'd have to order certain books a little less than 'Batman' or 'Superman.' But if they do it right, they'd tier it over a couple of months, which is what I'm hoping they'd do. They should launch with their three big ones – Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman – in that first month, and then do their other books after. I don't know. DC hasn't released anything yet, so we don't know. But it would hurt if they all came at once because [new readers] would all come in that one week or that one month, and then we'd never see them again.

"'Flashpoint' has a lot of people talking. The alternate reality things have always done well in comics," he noted of the current impact of both DC and Marvel's latest "event comics" pushes. "'Fear Itself' did so much more than I thought it would sales-wise. All the tie-ins are doing great so far...Same thing should be happening for 'Flashpoint' coming up. With all these tiles coming out, I think it's just going to grow."

Another major factor in the relaunch will be the reader reaction to renumbering of titles. While launching an older property with a new #1 has been a fashionable publishing move in recent years, the play remains hotly debated online. Recently in his Talk To The Hat column on CBR, Marvel's SVP of Publishing Tom Brevoort made the argument that despite some fan outcry, #1s do draw more new readers to comics. However, Miller explained that those numbers may skew quite a bit over time.

"Retailers ordered almost twice as many 'Fantastic Four' Vol. 2 #1s," the sales analyst explained again using "Heroes Reborn" as a comparison point. "And that was great. But what happened is that by the time you got down to issue #3 or 4, you had sales back down to what they were beforehand. The group of people that came in to buy the extra copies of the new issue #1 is to some degree collectors who just want that #1 and then to a second degree the new issue grazers. How many of those grazers come in depend on who the talent is and what the promotion is. And the downside there is that every jumping on point is a jumping off point...One of the risks you run when you do a reboot of long-running series with a new #1, yeah you're going to get a boost. But the slide that follows that is going to be a much steeper one than you had beforehand. How steep it is depends on how much brand loyalty there is for that title – how many people are willing to say, 'I will stick with Batman no matter what the number is.'

"The problem is, I think people realize that it doesn't so much matter what the number is. The new issue #1 gets you that boost when it comes out, and that's great. But there are a couple of things I think we've seen with that. The things that make a new issue #1 sell well with the person on the street work just as well in the ongoing series. Exhibit A of this is Jim Lee on 'Batman.' They could have started his run as 'Batman: Hush' #1, and it would have done great. But they put it in as 'Batman' #608, and retailers who were already ordering 'Batman' every month looked at Jim Lee, and the sales ended up being much higher. The highest issue was #611 which came after retailers caught on. And what happened when it ended? Jim Lee went away, and 'Batman' sales on the regular series stayed much higher than they were before. There was a lingering effect that stayed there."

Whether or not DC's gamble will pay off in the long terms depends on many factors – not the least of which is critical reception to the creative efforts put forth by the writers and artists behind their new line. Malve for one has faith that at least DC's first new book will be able to carry that burden well. "I had people come in for the death of the Human Torch that aren't regular comic book fans that are coming in still," he said. "If anybody can do something like that, Geoff Johns can."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Lots of Questions, But Now a Few Clues About DCNu
Vaneta Rogers wrote:Tuesday's announcement that DC would be launching 52 new #1 comics in September had everyone asking: How will the DCNu be different from the former DCU?

Now that DC has been trickling out a little information, people are getting a few answers to the questions.

The clues we've seen so far:

- Familiar But New: This reboot of the DCU is not a horribly drastic change, according to the covers and solicitations for the September issues we saw today. Sure, costumes look tweaked. Teams have a little different make-up. Histories are presumably streamlined. But the Justice League International is still pretty much the JLI that fans know and love. The Justice League team has all the big-gun characters we'd expect (although, where's Martian Manhunter?). The Jason/Ronnie Firestorm from Brightest Day is still the duo that makes up Firestorm. Mr. Terrific has tattoos now, but he still appears to have the same power set. There are a few other changes, but one thing is clearly the same...

- The Flash is still Barry Allen:
This is expected, since he's starring in Flashpoint and will presumably be the star of Warner Bros.' planned Flash film. According to those bright blue eyes on the cover of his new series, it's Barry. (Of course, we all remember the little white lies DC told in 2007 when it continued soliciting a Flash series starring Bart Allen even though the character was to die. By June, Marc Guggenheim's issues with Bart in the starring role were quickly switched to Mark Waid's run on Wally West as the Flash. It could always happen again.) Plus, fans of other Flash characters (do we really have to say his name?) should take heart in the fact that Geoff Johns just confirmed to Newsarama in December that there will be a second Flash title called Speed Force. We can only assume that, if those plans are still in place, the series would be among the 52 titles launched in September.

- Aquaman's Still Here:
Sure, Geoff Johns announced a while ago that he'd be on Aquaman with his old Green Lantern collaborator Ivan Reis. But Johns is also the guy who said he'd write All-Star Wonder Woman. So it's nice to see the solicitation confirm the book's release so fans can cheer, since most readers would agree that Johns' take on Aquaman worked well in Brightest Day. And best of all, we already know a few details about this one, because Johns talked to Newsarama about the series in March. Mera is in the comic, and so are Black Manta and Aqualad. But will Aquaman truly be starting from scratch?

- New Carter Hall?: Hawkman's title solicitation reads like it's an origin story. Does that mean Carter Hall will be completely rebooted? Or does this merely re-tell his origin story to simplify the character for new audiences?

- Young Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman is wearing a costume similar to the costume she wore as a young, revamped hero in her own "time anomaly-surrounded" existence pre-Flashpoint. DC made it clear that the new, young Wonder Woman did exist in the regular DCU. If her younger version is back post-Flashpoint, complete with the alteration of her past (along with her pants), it points toward the rest of DC's "Trinity" -- Superman and Batman -- having very altered pasts as well.

- Big Justice League: DC said its first announcement of titles were series that "spin out of the pages of Justice League." The titles they labeled this way include heroes that we already knew were on the Geoff Johns/Jim Lee Justice League, like the Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. But there are also titles announced for Green Arrow, Mister Terrific, Firestorm, Captain Atom and Hawkman. If these series spin out of Justice League, does this mean those heroes are among the eventual 14 members? And if they are, then what about Mr. Terrific and Hawkman's roles in the Justice Society?

- No Justice Society?: Newsarama wondered yesterday if the Justice Society even belonged in the DCNu, which executives described as "brand-new and fresh." With the new comics for Hawkman and Mr. Terrific -- both fairly recent members and leaders of the Justice League -- now described as spin-offs from the Justice League, does that mean there's no Justice Society at all?

- Hal Jordan's Ring?: We don't know if this is an artist's mistake or if it means something, but in that Justice League cover, why doesn't Hal Jordan have on a ring? With the Green Lantern movie coming out soon, we've got to assume this is a mistake, because the new readers who come to DC from the movie will know -- Hal most definitely has a ring.
UPDATED: Jim Lee has revealed why Hal is missing the ring. He posted his pencils, proving that he drew it. Apparently the inker just made a mistake. So no change there.

- Gotham Still the Same?: There were no Gotham series announced today, but there is evidence that the world of Batman will experience few changes. First, David Finch just confirmed to Newsarama that his series, set in Gotham, would continue as a monthly.

Also, when Newsarama contacted J.H. Williams a few weeks ago about the status of his new Batwoman comic, he indicated the decision to push back the release of the first issue of his series was not because the issue wasn't finished. It was a DC decision. That implies that DC pushed back Batwoman so that it would be among the 52 new #1 issues released in September.

Williams told Newsarama months ago that he'd already written Issue #6, which artist Amy Reeder has already started drawing. So his series was presumably written in the pre-Flashpoint world of Gotham. And Finch's title started pre-Flashpoint as well, and it's allegedly in continuity. So we can only assume that their Gotham will still be the DCNu Gotham. And, of course, Finch's comic stars Bruce Wayne, which brings us to...

- Batman in Two Places: It would make sense for DC to utilize Flashpoint to return Bruce Wayne to the status of being the only Batman in the DC Universe. But according to today's announcement, there's a Batman on the Justice League International, and a Batman on the regular Justice League. Are there still two Batmen? If so, are they still Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne, and which one is on which team? But before we assume anything, we also have to notice that there's no difference between the two Batmen costumes. So there could certainly only be Bruce Wayne as Batman. After all, Bruce Wayne could simply have two teams, like he has before with groups like the JLA and Outsiders.

- Do they remember Flashpoint?: While there's very little evidence in today's solicitations to support the idea that anyone remembers the Flashpoint universe, Geoff Johns might have given us a clue in an interview he gave Newsarama when his Aquaman series was announced. When we asked about environmental issues, Johns said Aquaman does care about the Earth. But then he added that there's something happening in the DCU that could allow Aquaman to approach the issue of the environment. "There are some twists and turns coming up that involve some of that, but I don't want to get into it just yet," he said, then added, "I'll just say this: It's all about responsibility." We already know that, within the world of Flashpoint, Aquaman and the Atlanteans destroy Europe, sending it underwater. Could the comments from Johns about Aquaman's approach toward the Earth being one of that's "all about responsibility" point toward him remembering his own actions against the Earth in Flashpoint?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:04 pm

DC Comics announced Thursday several of the new series and creative teams that will debut in the company's September relaunch of its superhero line of comic books, which will see every title begin again with a #1 issue. Among the new series spinning out of Geoff Johns' and Jim Lee's Jusstice League #1 are Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang; The Fury of Firestorm by writers Ethan Van Sciver & Gail Simone and artist Yildiray Cinar; Justice League International by Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti; and much more.

The news of DC's new titles and creative teams was published on The Source blog by DC Comics Vice President of Publicity, David Hyde.

Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang

New York Times bestselling writer Brian Azzarello, author of The Joker and 100 Bullets, teams up with the immensely talented artist Cliff Chiang (Neil Young's Greendale) for WONDER WOMAN #1, an exciting new series starring the DC Universe's greatest superheroine. The cover to issue #1 is by Cliff Chiang.

Aquaman by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis

Geoff Johns, one of comics' greatest storytellers, reunites with GREEN LANTERN and BRIGHTEST DAY collaborator Ivan Reis to bring you a thrilling new take on the fan-favorite hero of the sea in AQUAMAN #1. The cover to issue #1 is by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado.

The Flash by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato

Rising superstar Francis Manapul, fresh off his acclaimed run on THE FLASH with Geoff Johns, makes his comics writing debut in THE FLASH #1, sharing both scripting and art duties with Brian Buccellato. The Flash knows he can't be everywhere at once, but what happens when he faces an all-new villain who can? The cover to issue #1 is by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato.

The Fury of Firestorm by Ethan Van Sciver & Gail Simone and Yildiray Cinar (cover by Van Sciver)

Welcome to a major new vision of the Nuclear Man as writers Ethan Van Sciver and Gail Simone team up with artist Yildiray Cinar to deliver THE FURY OF FIRESTORM #1. Jason Rusch and Ronnie Raymond are two high school students, worlds apart – and now they're drawn into a conspiracy of super science that bonds them forever in a way they can't explain or control. The cover to issue #1 is by Ethan Van Sciver.

The Savage Hawkman by Tony Daniel and Philip Tan

Batman writer Tony Daniel will team up with artist Philip Tan (GREEN LANTERN: AGENT ORANGE, THE OUTSIDERS) for THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1. Carter Hall's skill at deciphering lost languages has led him to a job with an archeologist who specializes in alien ruins – but will the doctor's latest discovery spread an alien plague through New York City? No matter the personal cost, Carter Hall must don his cowl and wings and become the new, savage Hawkman to survive. The cover to issue #1 is by Philip Tan.

Green Arrow by JT Krul and Dan Jurgens (cover by Brett Booth)

Oliver Queen is an orphan who grew up to fight crime as the Green Arrow, a billionaire playboy who uses his fortune to become a superhero – able to fight the most powerful super-villains in the universe with nothing but a bow and arrow. JT Krul will write GREEN ARROW #1 with art by superstar artist Dan Jurgens. The cover to issue #1 is by Brett Booth.

Justice League International by Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti

A team of internationally-drafted superheroes fight each other and their bureaucratic supervisors as much as they do global crime in JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1 from writer Dan Jurgens and artist Aaron Lopresti. The cover to issue #1 is by Aaron Lopresti.

Mister Terrific #1 by Eric Wallace and Roger Robinson (cover by JG Jones)

The world's third-smartest man – and one of its most eligible bachelors – uses his brains and fists against science gone mad in MISTER TERRIFIC #1, the new series from writer Eric Wallace and artist Roger Robinson. The cover to issue #1 is by J.G. Jones.

Captain Atom by JT Krul and Freddie Williams II (cover by Stanley "Artgem" Lau)

Captain Atom has all the power in the world, but no hope of saving himself. Charged by nuclear energy, possessing vast molecular powers, he has the potential to be a god among men – a hero without limits. But the question is this: Will he lose himself in the process? JT Krul and artist Freddie Williams II take the character in a bold new direction in CAPTAIN ATOM #1. The cover to issue #1 is by Stanley "Artgem" Lau.

DC Universe Presents by various (cover by Ryan Sook)

The anthology series gets a new look in DC Universe Presents, a new series that will focus on multi-issue story arcs each featuring a different superhero from the DC Universe's rich cast of characters, told by some of comics' most exciting writers and artitsts. DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #1 kicks off the first arc of the series: a Deadman story by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang. The cover to issue #1 is by Ryan Sook.

DC Comics Confirms New Titles and Creative Teams for September Relaunch
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:47 pm

I just don't get it. Who is going to buy 52 #1 issues just because they're new, or even a dozen? Times have changed from when such things appealed to completists. The current economy won't support such a move, in my opinion. I won't be buying more than a few, personally. I'm old and cynical.

Oh, and "fair play" is tattooed on Mr. Terrific's biceps? Please, someone sew my eyes shut.
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:40 pm

DCNu Title & Creator Reveals Day 2: GREEN LANTERN Family
"GREEN LANTERN #1

"Geoff Johns has been charting the adventures of Hal Jordan and the GREEN LANTERN Corps since GREEN LANTERN: Rebirth, collaborating with such major artists as Ethan Van Sciver, Darwyn Cooke, Prentis Rollins, Marlo Alquiza and Mick Gray.

"This fall, Johns reunites with artists Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy, as the series begins anew with GREEN LANTERN #1 with cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado. Together they will continue to thrill readers and expand the Green Lantern mythos.

"Change is coming. But set aside your fear. It’ll be worth the wait.

"GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1

"When deadly conflicts emerge across the universe, it’s up to Guy Gardner, John Stewart and an elite Green Lantern strike force to keep the peace.

"GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1 will be written by Peter J. Tomasi with art by Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna. The cover to #1 is by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy.

"GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #1

Who are The New Guardians?

"The power of Rage, Avarice, Fear, Will, Hope, Compassion and Love combine to be the most powerful (and colorful) team in the corps under the leadership of Kyle Rayner. Beware their power . . . and their volatility!

"GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #1 will be written by Tony Bedard and illustrated with cover by Tyler Kirkham and Batt

"RED LANTERNS #1

"Going solo. Atrocitus and his Red Lantern Corps return in their own series, battling against injustice in the most bloody ways imaginable. This Lantern Corps takes no prisoners, they are judge, jury and executioners!
RED LANTERNS #1 will be written by Peter Milligan with art and cover by Ed Benes and Rob Hunter."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:00 am

Manapul & Buccellato Barry, Barry Happy to Be on DCNu FLASH
Vaneta Rogers wrote:When DC Comics announced yesterday some of the 52 new #1 issues it's releasing in September, one writing team came as a surprise to fans: Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato on The Flash.

The surprise isn't because the two are new to comics — they're not even new to The Flash — but because they're known in the industry for their artwork -- not their writing.

Manapul and Buccellato just came off a run as the art team on The Flash with superstar writer Geoff Johns. Manapul does pencils, inks and watercolors. Buccellato does the colors.

But now they're writing the story.

It's not the first time the two have written a story, having collaborated on a story for Top Cow's The Darkness. But it's certainly a high-profile gig for two artists whose history at Image, Marvel and DC has always focused on art.

While the two wouldn't talk about the story they'll be telling in The Flash, Newsarama talked with Buccellato and Manapul about their upcoming run on the book and whether they're confident they can deliver on schedule.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:41 pm

From bleeding Cool:
DC Relaunch: Details On Teen Titans #1
We’ve already told you that the new Teen Titans #1 will be written by Scott Lobdell, pencilled by Brett Booth and inked by Norm Rapmund.
But what of the book? How much of a relaunch or a reboot will it be? Will it be a Green Lantern continuing the plots as normal, or a Firestorm, changing the rules?

Well, from this description, itlooks like it may be more the latter. As of Teen Titans #1, none of the Titans therein will have ever met before.

Oh and, tapping into that mention about DC being a more diverse range of characters, three of the seven members will be ethnic minorities….

DC Relaunch: Greg Capullo’s Cover To Batman #1
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:09 pm

From Bleeding Cool:

DC Relaunch: George Pérez To Write And Draw Superman

Rich Johnston wrote:Bleeding Cool has run a number of pieces on the policy at DC Comics to offer big name artists the chance to write their own work, in order to keep them working at the company. David Finch, JH Williams III and Tony Daniel are significant examples, and in the DC relaunch we have already seen Francis Manapul and Ethan Van Sciver gain writing jobs.

George Pérez of course has major chops in this field previously. He co-wrote, then fully wrote, the Wonder Woman #1 relaunch in 1986, as well as co-plotting Teen Titans and writing and drawing various Superman titles around the same time. Indeed he left DC for some time after writing duties on Wonder Woman were passed to William Messner Loebs for the marriage issue.

But after that, apart from his creator owned Crimson Plague series, George Pérez hasn’t written a great deal.

Well, this all changes in September when, according to good comic book industry sources, Pérez is scheduled to write and draw the new Superman #1…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:41 pm

My brain hurts from all this. Dear gods, just let us have some real continuity.
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 am

DennisMM wrote:My brain hurts from all this. Dear gods, just let us have some real continuity.

What?! You can't give up now. This party is just getting started!

From Bleeding Cool:
An Updatable List Of The 52 DC Titles For September
Rich Johnston wrote:2. Action Comics #1 by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Lemire Discovers the Dark Sides of "Animal Man" & "Frankenstein"
Eisner-nominated creator Jeff Lemire sheds light on his two DC Comics "dark side" titles, "Animal Man" and "Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.," set to launch alongside 50 other new books in the revamped DCU.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:51 pm

The DCnU has my extremely excited, but a bit apprehensive all at the same time. For the most part, I am LOVING the idea of the relaunch. Most of the new titles I have seen have got me crazy pumped.

But returning Barbara to Batgirl, when she had so much more value (to me) as Oracle (and not to mention that Bryan Q. Miller was killing it with Steph as Batgirl) is a bad move. Also, it looks like the group to get the BIGGEST shaft in this whole thing is the Teen Titans. Those new costumes look terrible. Especially Superboy. YIKES.

Which leads me to my biggest disappointed: the talent. I mean, who the FUCK is Scott Lobdell and why was he given most of the books I cared about? Wikipedia says he was active in the late 90s, but all he has recently is writing a Galaxy Quest comic. What, he wrote for Harras 15 years ago and now gets 3 titles in the DCnU?

And off of that, am I the only one that is baffled that Fabian Nicieza keeps getting work? His work the past 5 years all just seems so damn BLAND.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Comic Books