DC Entertainment (Now w/ Relaunch & Digital Bombshell!)

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: DC Entertainment (NOW W/ Relaunch and Digital Bombshell!

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Which leads me to my biggest disappointed: the talent. I mean, who the FUCK is Scott Lobdell and why was he given most of the books I cared about? Wikipedia says he was active in the late 90s, but all he has recently is writing a Galaxy Quest comic. What, he wrote for Harras 15 years ago and now gets 3 titles in the DCnU?

And off of that, am I the only one that is baffled that Fabian Nicieza keeps getting work? His work the past 5 years all just seems so damn BLAND.

Both of them worked with Bob Harras at Marvel and thus bask in his favor. Lobdell was one of those guys who could write four books at once -- not necessarily well, but four books at once. I always found both of them dull as dull can be.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:23 am

From CA:
Time and Time Again: The Complete History of DC's Retcons and Reboots
Chris Sims wrote:Since the announcement of DC's line-wide relaunch hit last week, readers have been wondering what exactly all of this means for the publisher and their comics. Titles, creators and even distribution methods are all up in the air in what's turning out to be a pretty huge shake-up. But for the stories, this is nothing new: DC's been retconning, revising and rebooting their universe for over 70 years. So today, as we all get ready for yet another all-new DCU, we're taking a look back at all the times nothing was ever the same again, from parallel worlds to punching continuity!

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/0 ... z1Ol1ACdZp

Is Mark Millar Writing For DC Now? (Spoiler:No)

From Bleeding Cool:
Is This The De-AlanMooreification Of The DC Universe?
Rich Johnston wrote:It wasn’t that long ago that Alan Moore declared that DC’s current work was based on his own stuff for them years ago, and he wished they’d come up with something new.

Well, it’s tempting to think that people at DC, especially Geoff Johns, whose Blackest Night was singled out by Moore, might have taken this to heart. And why?

Well, at the end of Brightest Day, Swamp Thing – who Alan Moore famously revealed had never been Alec Holland, just a plant elemental with his memories – is now, most definitely Alec Holland.

The sentient planetary -sized Green Lantern, Mogo, created by Moore and Dave Gibbons in a Green Lantern back up strip, was blown up.

And now Barbara Gordon as Batgirl appears to be walking again, possibly as the Batgirl 2.0 avatar suggested by Grant Morrison. Moore and Brian Bolland crippled her in Batman: A Killing Joke.

It’s the last one that’s weird, the reaction has been how dare DC retcon Killing Joke when a) that’s not what’s happening and b) Killing Joke was never meant to be in continuity in the first place. Batmite was in it for goodness sake.

So is this the de-AlanMoore-ification of the DC Universe as some have suggested? Well not quite.

For a start John Constantine is back in the DC Universe up front, with a high profile than for many a year. The upcoming Multiversity book from Grant Morrison is meant to include Watchmen analogue characters. And of course the Twilight Of The Superheroes proposal is still reflected all over the place.

It will be quite some time until all such direct influence is gone…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:05 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DC Entertainment (Now w/ Relaunch & Digital Bombshell!)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Those Supey boots are plain silly. I may wind up spending a lot more money on these than expected.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Those 52 Issue One DC Solicitations In Full…

Jim Lee On The New Design Work Behind the DC Relaunch
Mark Seifert wrote:And the whirlwind of information keeps coming. As he promised last night, here’s Jim Lee on the DCU blog discussing the new designs behind the new DC, featuring design collaboration with Cully Hamner and VP-Art Direction and Design Mark Chiarello, plus others on the DC team:
Months ago, when the decision was made to launch 52 new number ones, Co-Publisher Dan Didio, Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras along with DCU Executive Editor Eddie Berganza and VP-Art Direction and Design Mark Chiarello and I went over the entire proposed DCU lineup and bookmarked the characters we felt would benefit the most from a visual redesign. That initial list started at around 30 characters but quickly ballooned up as books got under way. Realizing the amount of time and effort it would take to complete the long list of designs, Mark Chiarello and I enlisted artist Cully Hamner onto the team, giving us not just another set of hands but another style altogether so we would have a variety of styles to literally draw from.

Cully, as many of you know, is a veteran artist with diverse professional experiences, one of the co-founders of Atlanta’s Gaijin studios and also the co-creator of the WildStorm comic RED. He had also done a spectacular redesign of Blue Beetle some years back which Mark and DC loved so he was a natural choice for this project. Having known Cully both professionally and personally over the years, I knew his collaborative mindset and sheer creative skills would be perfect for this massive undertaking. Cully in particular took point in creating many of the designs you guys have seen debut in our staggered announcements, and his feedback and input and revisions on countless others were just as instrumental. On top of all this, there was the input provided by Mark Chiarello, a terrific artist in his own right, who gave countless notes and corralled all the images and feedback to make sure all the creators working on the titles had the information they needed and that every voice in this highly collaborative project was taken into account.

The entire redesign process was very organic in that every character’s final design came about in an entirely unique fashion. More often than not, Cully and I worked independently or in parallel but sometimes, we jammed together on the same set of designs. And of course, all the designs were shaped and refined by the input of a series editor, writer and artist. In the end, we wanted to make sure all the key creators on a title were satisfied with the final look of the characters as the creative teams were the ones who had to live with and draw the new looks on a near daily basis. For instance, on Birds of Prey, the design process started with initial sketches by the series artist Jesus Saiz which Cully and I then used to riff off of. After rounds of input and alterations, the near final looks were then tweaked by Jesus himself at the end. Or on a series like Teen Titans, Brett Booth contributed most of the designs and Cully and I served as sounding boards, tossing out suggestions and visual counterpoints as we hammered out the final looks almost in real time over massive email chains. And lastly, for other titles altogether, the series’ artists did all the designs and Mark and I just chimed in and signed off on the final approvals.

All in all, a huge project, one which only now is finally coming to light. On a reader level, we realize changing even the smallest detail of any character’s costume brings out the passion in every fan, but I thought it important to describe the process so you all knew the time and care and thought that was put into each and every redesign. In the end, while you may not always agree with the changes, at least you know they were not made lightly or without great effort.

Finally, I wanted to thank all the DC editors for their incredible patience and invaluable input and so many of the the creative teams for allowing Cully and me to jam along with you. It was definitely an honor.

Best,
Jim Lee
Co-Publisher
DC Comics
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Yeah, that is another thing that irks me about this relaunch. The redesigns are, for the most part, atrocious. But there are tons of books that I am excited to buy. But there would be MORE I'd be excited to buy if it weren't for those awful redesigns and the the sub par talent attached to write a lot of books.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:18 pm

But the redesigns are by Jim Lee and whoever Cully Hamner is! pant pant pant pant pant

At least Kara won't look quite so whorish now. That belly shirt was silly and not something Ma Kent would have made. At least the Peter David/Leonard Kirk belly shirt was there as a tribute to the animated version.
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:03 pm

I would assume that means Superman won't be wearing his pants on the outside in the new Superman movie.

I'm still slightly confused by the "reboot". I've seen it described in several different ways so far, so I can't quite get my head round it at the moment.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:51 pm

DennisMM wrote:At least Kara won't look quite so whorish now. That belly shirt was silly and not something Ma Kent would have made. At least the Peter David/Leonard Kirk belly shirt was there as a tribute to the animated version.

I would have liked to have seen her legs covered. And the boots that wrap around her knees are a bit awkward.

@ Fried Gold: Yeah, I am with you. They say it isn't a "reboot", but it is a "fresh start". I don't know what that means. Does the continuity of the past matter or not?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:15 pm

One report I read suggested it was going to be a totally clean restart, like even cleaner than the post-Crisis reboot - which is something I wouldn't really be against, as DC has again got fairly bogged down with continuity...and with some titles, there isn't much more they do with them in terms of storytelling. A properly clean slate could be a good thing.

I also figured that it might all be tied in with DC/WB's comic media as a whole - but then the new Green Lantern movie seems to be very grounded in the Geoff Johns era, so I guess it's not especially linked to that.

I'd just like to know a few more details, as I've also read some other reports seemed to suggest there actually is some significance to there being 52 titles - which somewhat suggests it does have a connection to what came before. Someone on Superherohype's board had the idea this is actually to turn out to be a Post-Crisis v2 - if the current creative team had been around in 1986, what would they have done? etc etc
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:26 pm

DC's Green Lantern to be joined 3 other GL books

By MATT MOORE, Associated Press – Jun 3, 2011

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Amid the change ahead for the heroes that make up DC Comics' universe, Green Lantern's ring will burn bright and emerald, the character's adventures guided by a familiar face.

Geoff Johns, the company's chief creative officer, will write the upcoming relaunch of "Green Lantern," part of a DC-wide effort that will see 52 new first issues enveloping all of its heroes from Superman to the Justice League to Hawkman, but he's promising a different take and tone for the long-time character.

"It's building off the Green Lantern stories I've done since 'Rebirth,'" he told The Associated Press about the series, which is set to start in September and features art by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy. "Taking it in a very new direction that we've never seen in 'Green Lantern' before."

"Green Lantern" isn't the only title planned, either. DC is also going to launch three other Green Lantern-related books, too, including "Green Lantern: The New Guardians," written by Tony Bedard and illustrated by Tyler Kirkham and Batt. That will feature Kyle Rayner leading the team. There will also be the "Red Lanterns," featuring Atrocitus and his fellow Red Lantern Corps members facing off against injustice and serving as judge, jury and executioners. The book is being written by Peter Milligan with art by Ed Benes and Rob Hunter.

A third book will also launch, too, "Green Lantern Corps." DC says that title, written by Peter J. Tomasi and illustrated by Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna, will see familiar Green Lanterns Guy Gardner and John Stewart as part of an elite strike force aimed at keeping the peace.

What role Hal Jordan will play in all of this, Johns won't say, but the longtime Green Lantern of Sector 2814 will be part of the new Justice League series that kicks of the DC-wide relaunch.

Johns kept details of his writing for the new series close to the vest, but said that if "I didn't think I had a great idea for Green Lantern, I wouldn't have relaunched the book. I would move on if I didn't think I had a great plan for it."

As for what will happen, Johns said he would strive to make the new series fresh but mindful of its historic roots to longtime fans and new readers, too, and stay true to the spirit of the Green Lantern Corps and its emotional content.

Some hints may come in the final issue of the current series, No. 57, which is due out later this month.

"'Green Lantern' 1 picks up a few months later in a very different space than we are now," Johns said. "When you see the cover you'll know exactly what I'm talking about."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Marvel's Next Big Thing

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:27 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Will Marvel Announce Their Next Big Thing Tomorrow?

Today at 7.40pm in Los Angeles, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will take the stage at the LA Times Hero Complex Film Festival to “ speak publicly for the first time about the seismic changes in the DC Universe on the page. The pair will reveal new details about the major new plans for Superman and the entire mythology of the most storied comic book company of them all.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:At least Kara won't look quite so whorish now. That belly shirt was silly and not something Ma Kent would have made. At least the Peter David/Leonard Kirk belly shirt was there as a tribute to the animated version.

I would have liked to have seen her legs covered. And the boots that wrap around her knees are a bit awkward.

I agree, but I prefer bare legs to the bare midriff. The boots, again agreed, are odd-looking. Her outfit vaguely reminds me of Dave Cockrum's Legion of Super-Heroes redesigns from the '70s. I do like the looks of the cape.

So, do you think I should spend $160 and buy all 52 of these?
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:56 pm

DennisMM wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I agree, but I prefer bare legs to the bare midriff. The boots, again agreed, are odd-looking. Her outfit vaguely reminds me of Dave Cockrum's Legion of Super-Heroes redesigns from the '70s. I do like the looks of the cape.

So, do you think I should spend $160 and buy all 52 of these?

I plan on it, :oops:

As I say, I am really excited about the DCnU. I would have liked to have seen different talent involved and could do without some redesigns, but I want to give this whole thing a chance. So I will be going all in. Especially, because I have found each and every Flashpoint issue to have been totally worth it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:59 pm

So, just so that everyone has a list of the books involved in the DCnU...here we go (I've highlighted those that I am MOST excited about):

01 Action Comics
02 All-Star Western
03 Animal Man
04 Aquaman
05 Batgirl
06 Batman

07 Batman & Robin
08 Batwing
09 Batwoman
10 Birds of Prey

11 Blackhawks
12 Blue Beetle
13 Captain Atom
14 Catwoman
15 DCU Presents
16 Deathstroke
17 Demon Knights
18 Detective Comics
19 Firestorm
20 Flash
21 Frankenstein
22 GL Corps
23 GL New Guardians

24 Green Arrow
25 Green Lantern
26 Grifter
27 Hawk and Dove
28 Hawkman
29 I, Vampire
30 JLI (Justice League International)
31 Justice League
32 Justice League Dark

33 Legion Lost
34 Legion of Super-Heroes
35 Mister Terrific
36 Nightwing
37 OMAC
38 Red Hood
39 Red Lanterns
40 Resurrection Man
41 Sgt. Rock / Men of War
42 Static Shock
43 Stormwatch

44 Suicide Squad
45 Superboy
46 Supergirl
47 Superman
48 Swamp Thing
49 Teen Titans

50 The Dark Knight
51 Vodoo
52 Wonder Woman

Looks like 29 of 52 books.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:57 am

Is that listing correct? I thought there was a new Justice League International?

While I'm not exactly a hardcore reader, I've never bought more than about five or so titles a month. Surely quite a few of those titles are only going to sell a few copies.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Is that listing correct? I thought there was a new Justice League International?

While I'm not exactly a hardcore reader, I've never bought more than about five or so titles a month. Surely quite a few of those titles are only going to sell a few copies.

It is there, I just listed it under JLI.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Ah yeah.

So, titles I'd think about buying just for the first issue:
03 Animal Man
06 Batman
07 Batman and Robin
08 Batwing - mainly just because I'm not sure what it is
20 Flash
22 GL Corps
23 GL New Guardians
25 Green Lantern
30 JLI (Justice League International)
31 Justice League
32 Justice League Dark
36 Nightwing
38 Red Hood
39 Red Lanterns
50 The Dark Knight

Out of that, it'd probably only be the GL books, maybe the JL books, that I'd think about buying regularly. Again, some of them I can't see why they'd be at all popular.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:44 pm

From Hero Complex:
‘Justice League’: DC will write new first chapter for super team
Noelene Clark wrote:DC Comics has been making headlines for weeks, but on Saturday, three of the top creative forces finally stepped into the spotlight to discuss the seismic changes planned for the oldest and most iconic comics universe.

The Justice League, the superhero team at the very center of the DC Comics universe, will get an all-new origin story, beginning Aug. 31 in “Justice League” issue No. 1, according to artist Jim Lee and writer Geoff Johns, the celebrated creators who will be working in tandem for the first time.

Johns and Lee said the story will be set five years in the past, as will the new Superman tale, which will launch with “Action Comics” issue No. 1 in September. “Action Comics” writer Grant Morrison sent a special video message to Saturday night’s audience at the Hero Complex Film Festival at the Chinese Six theater in Hollywood.

With a sense of awe, Morrison said he considered Superman to be “the greatest-ever idea of the human species,” and he aimed to “re-create that guy for the 21st century.”

“We want to try to create a new language for comics, a new kind of philosophy, a new kind of propulsive storytelling that will do things that only comics can do and that movies can’t even catch up with,” Morrison said in the video message. “We hope everyone’s going to get involved and join us in this voyage into the unknown.”

Lee called the decision to reboot the universe and reinvent the origin stories “unprecedented,” saying the move was a “creative opportunity” for artists and a chance for new readers to jump into comics.

“It’s not just renumbering all of these books, but it’s also about going systematically through the entire DC universe and sort of reenergizing and reimagining a lot of the stuff that sort of formed these characters, the back stories,” Lee said. “We’re talking about ‘Justice League,’ but there’s never been a really awesome origin for the Justice League. … To me, it’s a prime example of something that we can go in and maybe add something to the lore and add a really kickass contemporary story that feels modern and really shows why these characters need to be together, because this is a such a diverse group of heroes.”

One of the main goals of the new origin story is showing the relationship between the core “classic, iconic seven members” of the league, Johns said.

“Our first arc actually is the origin of the team, so it takes place in the past, and the next arc will take place in the present,” he said. “One thing I was really interested in was how do these guys really get along? Like Green Lantern when he first meets Batman, he’s like, ‘So what are your powers?’ Because you’d assume if this guy is dressed up like a bat fighting bad guys, that he can’t be crazy, that he’s got to have powers. And so Jim and I talked a lot about what their first opinion would be of each other. Like if Green Lantern’s on Earth to patrol to search for extraterrestrial trouble, what’s he think of Superman?”

The new comics will develop the classic characters as people as well as superheroes, Johns said.

“One of the lines I used in my script is, ‘They’re not gods, they’re the Justice League,’” he said. “So what are the people like behind the masks, and how do they interact. Really the three words I use for what we’re trying to do are heart, humor and heroics.”

Lee and Johns said they’re prepared for backlash from hardcore comic fans, but that they are confident they can “execute it correctly,” and fans will embrace the new mythology.

“I remember when I wrote ‘Green Lantern: Rebirth,’ which brought Hal Jordan back, and people were really unhappy, and the hardcore fans were like, ‘You can’t do that,’ and we did it anyway,” Johns said. “I think if you do it with care … [and stay] true to the emotional ideals and the morality ideals that are in the heroes, that’s the goal. … Let’s try and capture the essence of what these characters can be, show how they could interact. Make it just a little bit different and unexpected. It’s an exciting time.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:20 am

From Newsarama:
Well, Now We Know Why It’s Not To Be Called A Reboot…
Graeme McMillan wrote:Oh, there is so much to unpack from the latest round of DCnU interviews, especially Vaneta’s one with Eddie Berganza and Bob Harras. In particular, this bit:
Harras: I think there’s an overarching discussion. This was a well-thought-out approach to all our characters across the line. But we also looked at events that happened in the past that we wanted to incorporate into current storylines that were going to be part and parcel into our ongoing stories.

So we really did take everything very seriously and looked at big events like Blackest Night and Brightest Day, and wanted to make sure those stayed a part of our stories.

Berganza: Right. The ones that really impacted people, like Death in the Family and Killing Joke. The ones that even people outside regular comic readers know. People know something happened to Barbara Gordon, that the Joker shot her. That counts.

Harras: So we looked at all these characters and really said what we’re going to weave in and what we’re going keep and what we’re going to move forward on.

Nrama: So to clarify, the storylines you’ve mention, like the Killing Joke and Death in the Family, are definitely part of history going forward?

Harras: Yes, and in fact, they’re even important starting points for some of the storylines we have.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:25 am

From Newsarama:
Harras, Berganza: DCnU Will Keep Much of DC History Intact
If there's one message that seemed to be clear from DC Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras and Executive Editor Eddie Berganza as they spoke to Newsarama yesterday, it was that long-time readers of DC Comics will still recognize their favorite characters.

And much of their rich history will still be intact.

DC's announcement on May 31st that it would start all titles over at #1 in September sent shock waves through the comic book community. Rumors began to fly about what it all meant to the continuity that long-time readers love, particularly focusing on whether past stories even count anymore

And now, Berganza and Harras are making sure readers know this is not a hard reboot. Changes? Yes. Total reboot? No.

Newsarama had already found out from more than one creator that the rich past of the DCU isn't being completely erased, and apparently, big changes are being explained in story. As Batman writer Scott Snyder told Newsarama last week: "We're very respectful of history and continuity, especially for Batman, who has some of the best moments in comics history."

Still, solicitations indicate that some areas of the "DCnU" have changed quite a bit, particularly the history of the Justice League and the Superman family.

Berganza and Harras didn't deny those changes. Instead, they clarified. Among their announcements:

- While planning the September relaunch, DC's editorial team constructed a timeline that details the universe's history. Everything from the past that editors thought was integral and important was kept.

- DC confirmed that stories like Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Identity Crisis, Death in the Family, and Killing Joke are still part of the DCU history. In fact, editors said, some events in those stories are specifically referenced in September.

- DC would not confirm that other storylines will or will not be part of the universe's new history. (For example, we asked about Geoff Johns' recent Superman: Secret Origin story, to no avail.) Readers will have to wait and see.

- Both Action Comics and Justice League are set at the "dawning of the age of superheroes," DC said. (But that dawn doesn't appear to be too long ago, since it's being reported that they will take place only five years in the past.)

- All other September titles will be taking place in DC's "contemporary times," unless it's a period piece, like Demon Knights, Jonah Hex or Legion of Super-Heroes.

The editors also revealed the reasons behind the initiative, including the importance of digital. Newsarama talked to the editors to find out more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 am

From CBR:
Krul Shoots Arrow & Splices Atoms in the DCU
Jeffrey Renaud wrote:Considered a rising star at DC Comics during his early stints on "Teen Titans" and "Titans," writer J.T. Krul has cemented himself as a mainstay for the publisher having shepherded multiple titles, tie-in miniseries and one-shots over the past few years under the "Blackest Night" and "Brightest Day" banners, including a lengthy run scripting the adventures of Oliver Queen in "Green Arrow."

So when DC Comics rolled out its first wave of titles as part of its line-wide relaunch in September, it came to no one's surprise that Krul was writing not one but two titles. Having already taken the Emerald Archer on a treacherous quest before and during "Brightest Day," the first was a no-brainer -- a new "Green Arrow" series, featuring art by fan favorite creator Dan Jurgens ("Booster Gold").

But few would have guessed Krul's second series coming out in September would be a relaunched "Captain Atom" with artist artist Freddie Williams II ("Robin"). Indeed, the new title will be the superhero's first appearance in a solo series since the early 1990s.

Created by writer Joe Gill and artist/co-writer Steve Ditko, Captain Atom first appeared in "Space Adventures" #33 in 1960. Originally, a Charlton Comics' property, Captain Atom was acquired by DC Comics and revised for its post-"Crisis" continuity.

The inspiration for Doctor Manhattan in Alan Moore's "Watchmen," DC's retelling of the origin consists of Air Force pilot Nathaniel Adam becoming Captain Atom after being blasted by nuclear energy during a military science experiment. Blessed with superhuman strength and endurance, as well as flight and an ability to shoot energy blasts, Captain Atom became a member of the Justice League of America and later served as the leader of Extreme Justice.

Krul told CBR News that while "Green Arrow" is a natural progression of the work he was already doing with Oliver Queen, his "Captain Atom" is "big, epic science fiction storytelling with a solid human core."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:40 am

From Newsarama:
Krul to Bring "Intense, Sci-fi Feel" to DCnU CAPTAIN ATOM
Vaneta Rogers wrote:In September, J.T. Krul is exploring the dichotomy of how one of the most powerful beings on the planet is also one of the most isolated and struggling members of humanity.

Captain Atom, the new comic DC is launching as one of its 52 new #1 issues in September, will be written by Krul with art by Freddie Williams II.

Krul, who is also relaunching his Green Arrow title in September, is hoping to explore the theme of how small and insignificant planet Earth is in the universe, yet how unique and important humanity is. It's a comic the writer is calling "intense" with a "sci-fi feel."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:23 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
More From The DC Retailer Roadshow
Rich Johnston wrote:Most of the released solicitation images for the DC Relaunch are not the covers for the first issue – so look forward to all those being announced soon as well.

Action Comics and Justice League are set in the past, the Green Lantern, Batman and LSH books are all continuing without a reboot. DC Presents and Hawkman are picking up where Brightest Day left off. But for everything else, yes, it will be more of a reboot/restart. They are basically keeping the books going that were financially successful for them and restarting everything else.

The DC Retroactive material was set up to keep the publishing schedule full so people didn’t fully notice a lot of the key creative teams were “missing” and using the time to get books done in advance. It was also set up as the first part of an initiative to pull back lapsed readers.

The Flashpoint books were also being done by teams not being used in the reboot to help give those guys more time.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:00 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Bleeding Cool:
More From The DC Retailer Roadshow
Rich Johnston wrote:Most of the released solicitation images for the DC Relaunch are not the covers for the first issue – so look forward to all those being announced soon as well.

Action Comics and Justice League are set in the past, the Green Lantern, Batman and LSH books are all continuing without a reboot. DC Presents and Hawkman are picking up where Brightest Day left off. But for everything else, yes, it will be more of a reboot/restart. They are basically keeping the books going that were financially successful for them and restarting everything else.

The DC Retroactive material was set up to keep the publishing schedule full so people didn’t fully notice a lot of the key creative teams were “missing” and using the time to get books done in advance. It was also set up as the first part of an initiative to pull back lapsed readers.

The Flashpoint books were also being done by teams not being used in the reboot to help give those guys more time.

...so it's not really the totally clean restart that it was thought to be?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 pm

What a mess. Books set in different time periods, in different continuities? How is this any better than what DC was publishing before?
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:35 pm

HIGGINS Talks DCnU DEATHSTROKE- DEATHSTROKE Will Be a BADASS Again
Writer Kyle Higgins discusses his new revamped DCnU title starring Slade Wilson, with exclusive new art.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:39 pm

DennisMM wrote:What a mess. Books set in different time periods, in different continuities? How is this any better than what DC was publishing before?

Yeah, I don't really understand it at all now.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 am

From Bleeding Cool:
No Such Word As Superhero – DC’s Retailer Roadshow Hits Baltimore – Collectors Cornered #2
Rich Johnston wrote:The meeting started with John Rood who explained that the relaunch was a much need “Shot in the arm”. As he then explained that something was needed to turn around slipping sales and reinvigorate the line.

Dan Didio then matter of factly added “That comics had become too talky, too quiet & less exciting. That comics were losing ground too video games, movies and TV, and that it was time to plant a flag in the ground!, That when new customers or lapsed customers walk into our stores that more action and better accessibility would be ideal. That comic book movies were doing comics better than comic books.”

As an aside, around this time, he joked that he read a comic that had 15 pages of 9 panel grids of heads talking. I wonder what issue that was?

Didio for all the heat he gets, was the most passionate of the bunch in explaining this initiative. He really won us over with some of this generalizing about the trend in comics to write for trades and to bet on the eventual sale or perpetual sale of of collected editions. We sell a lot of trade, but waiting for the trade syndrome is not helping us sell periodicals ultimately.

Didio stated “Were not building for trades with this, were building for periodicals. Jim Lee added “Comics needed to jump into immediate story, ramping into action.”

Jim Lee then talked a little about design elements with JLA & Team books and having a unified or team look using piping and collars etc, and how they wanted to update a freshen up certain looks. Dan DiDio added that “They felt that as readership aged so did the characters, past their Prime and that this was attempt to restore them to being less experienced where they haven’t defeated their greatest foes and are closer to their Prime age to reach a wider audience and that the last thing they wanted was for them to be encased in ember.”

As they were discussing JLA they went into the 52 titles one by one slideshow and some interesting quips and insights were given about most including off topic anecdotes about planning and plotting this initiative. Of the 52 all but four will be $2.99. Action, All Star Western, & Men At War will be $3.99 each.

“The higher the sales, the less is changed”

Dan Didio said “They had an unofficial curve chart no one would see in the offices where the higher the sales the less is changed.” This is why the Batman & Green Lantern titles will re-launch relatively unchanged story wise.

Some interesting tidbits of info about books we managed to shorthand from this :

The word Superhero doesn’t exist yet.

Geoff Johns stated “Three key elements to his JLA are “Heart, Humor & Heroics”, Lee & Johns added that the word Superhero doesn’t exist yet and that Batman at this point when the JLA first meet in the first arc of his book is more or less an Urban Legend that has been working behind the scenes for years.” Arc #2 would take place years later in the current timeline. JLA would be the book that is kind of the start of the DC Superhero universe.

They collectively stated the titles would be give more or less a year to perform and would be canned according to sales if need be, and creators were being held responsible for meeting deadlines more so than ever before, that changes will be made in a quicker fashion and that they were committed to this initiative and not planning to go back on it or have back up, that they were committed along with the marketing portion of this to being new and lapsed readers in, using charts and going through 30-40 minutes of sales and marketing which would be a bit of a bore to go into specifics, but their was areal focus on bringing people into stores with all ads online, banner, social networking, movie and co-op, TV and Movie Theater and other programs being rolled out like Midnight Parties for certain books, chances for stores to get big names in for signing and a lot more. John Rood stated time and time again “That we know where our bread is buttered.” Comic stores were featured prominently in this sales and marketing portion and any fears we had about unbalanced attention and more resources focused on digital was assuaged. It was made clear that if digital can bring folks into stores, that would be the best case scenario and that more so that if these advertising tactics along with utilizing Warner Brothers to help them “Close that virtual loop” a phrase that John Rood used over and over to great effect, then this would be a success for all of us on board. That loop is what we as retailers have been asking for access to for years, CSLS at the end of popular comic films and animated DVDS and Video Games aimed at the target and non target audiences that may not read comics but potentially if made aware of them would, co-op tv ads timed with films and comic releases, reimbursement for social networking and movie adverts.

Real time comic book store news on Cartoon Network

Also little details were give but sounded intriguing about the DC Nation Block coming up on cartoon Network that will act as real time comic book store news on Cartoon Network and more possibly featuring adverts for getting things at your local comic store, or tickers letting viewers know whats going on in comic stores nationwide.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:52 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
DC Relaunch: Justice League – The Full Line Up (UPDATE)
Rich Johnston wrote:And there we go. The full line up for the new Justice League. Aquaman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Flash and Cyborg we knew.

But it also seems we have Deadman, Atom, Element Woman, Firestorm, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Power Girl and Mera.

Power Girl certainly seems to be wrapping herself up. Unless it’s Zealot. Or Black Canary. Or someone else. And maybe that Firestorm is Union.

What do you think?

That Superman suit looks like the one from McG's movie mixed with Quitely's original S shield.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Superman Lawsuit

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:43 pm

The Legal View: The Once and Future Superman
Jeff Trexler wrote:DC has cited its changes and additions to the Super-verse as grounds for reducing the Siegel heirs’s share of Superman material produced since 1999. A recent Variety article takes this even further, reporting thatNeil Gaiman’s success in winning co-ownership of Medieval Spawn provides legal precedent for giving DC complete ownership of the contemporary Superman, limiting the Siegels’ interest to the far less lucrative 1938 version of the character.

Does DC have strong legal grounds for splitting Superman between The Man of Tomorrow and The Man of Yesterday? Click below to see if Gaiman v. McFarlane is legal kryptonite for creators’ rights–or whether that’s just another misconceived retcon.

It would indeed be ironic if Neil Gaiman–who likened the Siegels’ landmark 2008 courtroom victory to his own–were to provide the basis for gutting the heirs’ financial stake in modern Superman material. But that’s not likely to happen. In fact, DC has a strong incentive not to rely on Gaiman as precedent for splitting Superman in two–namely, its arguments in the Superboy case.

Is Superboy Superman?

As I’ve noted previously, the most recent and resurrection of Superboy coincided with significant developments in the Siegel Superboy lawsuit. Perhaps, as some have argued, the events were completely unconnected, but one particularly salient aspect of the lawsuit appears to suggest otherwise: in 2005 DC did not merely lose co-ownership of Superboy. It lost the entire copyright.

This first Superboy termination ruling made the rather peculiar determination that Superboy and Superman were unrelated characters. Superboy was “not in reality Superman,” but was instead “a separate and distinct entity” created by Jerry Siegel apart from any Superman material. Pursuant to this finding, the Siegel heirs were able to reclaim the character, and the judge ordered a trial to determine whether any Time Warner projects violated the Siegels’ copyright.

DC’s ongoing exploitation of Superman became an immediate concern. The parties’ primary focus was Smallville, which DC steadfastly maintained had no connection to Superboy but was instead derived exclusively from Superman, as evidenced in part by the young Clark Kent’s not wearing the iconic Superman costume. The status of the character expressly named Superboy was a somewhat different matter–if DC had continued publishing comics with a character expressly named Superboy, there would have been a stronger basis for finding infringement.

But that’s not the end of this legal story. In a subsequent motion for review, DC was able to get the court to vacate this ruling and nullify the Siegels’ complete ownership of the Superboy copyright. According to DC, any apparent differences between Superman and his adolescent self were merely trivial variations on Superman’s distinctive traits. The judge left the issue open for further briefing, but even the Siegels conceded that Superboy was at most a separately copyrighted derivative work adapted from pre-existing Superman material.

Superboy, Superman and derivative works

The treatment of derivative works is crucial for understanding not just the Superboy copyright, but the Gaiman case and its relevance to Superman. A separately copyrightable derivative work does not give its owner an unbounded ownership interest–otherwise it would be too easy for a creator to postpone the end of a copyright term indefinitely by creating new works that include old material. Rather, the copyright in such a work “”>covers only the additions, changes or other new material appearing for the first time in the work. It does not extend to any preexisting material and does not imply a copyright in that material.”

Whether the court ultimately decides with DC or the Siegels in the Superboy case, the outcome is likely to be favorable to DC. Even if the court were to find that new elements characteristic of Superboy are sufficient to make him a separately copyrightable character–and that’s not at all certain–the separate character copyright in Superboy would not extend to previously published elements owned by the co-owners of Superman, presently the Siegels and DC. At the very least, DC gets a financial stake in Superboy through the character’s expression of pre-existing Superman material–an ownership interest that DC would lose were the court to use the differences between Superboy and Superman to justify splitting them into two completely unrelated characters.

The derivative works issue creates even greater complications in the Superman case. The termination of the infamous 1938 sale of Superman to Detective Comics, Inc. gave the Siegels co-ownership of previously created Superman material, and the remaining Shuster heir stands to recapture the other half in 2013. However, DC has added a considerable number of new elements to the Superman mythos since 1938. Not only does this raise serious questions as to the value of the Siegel’s ownership share, but it raises the distinct possibility that as of 2013 DC will not be able to create any new Superman material without getting a license from any of the co-owners of the preexisting material from which the modern Super-verse is derived.

This is the dilemma that the Gaiman case supposedly solves. According to the interpretation espoused in the Variety article and the student note on which it is based, the 2004 appellate court decision giving Gaiman co-ownership of Medieval Spawn established a radically new approach to derivative works, effectively erasing the copyright interest of the owner of the underlying preexisting material. Instead, the judge has the power to recognize a separately copyrighted derivative character as a property in which the author of the preexisting material has no ownership interest–which in the Superman case, means that the judge could give DC exclusive rights in the modern Superman while limiting the Siegel and Shuster heirs to the far less lucrative Superman material from 1938.

What the Gaiman case really means

Although this interpretation of the Gaiman case may be reassuring to Time Warner and other media conglomerates looking for ways to get around creators’ termination rights, it is not in fact what the court ruled. To see why, let’s take a closer look at what Neil Gaiman won.

The dispute over the ownership of Medieval Spawn arose from a situation that other writers and artists would do well to avoid–working together without a written agreement. In this instance, Gaiman wrote and Todd McFarlane drew a character now known as Medieval Spawn who proved to have substantial market value long after his first appearance in Spawn #9. According to McFarlane, though, he owed Gaiman nothing for any subsequent use, since Medieval Spawn ostensibly had no copyrightable characteristics apart from those already present in McFarlane’s preexisting copyrighted character, Spawn. The court, in a 2004 opinion by noted conservative jurist Richard Posner, disagreed–it found that Medieval Spawn had differed from the original Spawn in several distinct ways, including visual appearance, manner of speaking, historic setting and alter ego, which was clearly not not twentieth-century CIA agent Al Simmons. Accordingly, the court affirmed that Medieval Spawn was a separately copyrightable derivative work co-owned by both of its creators.

In keeping with established copyright doctrine governing derivative works–and described in cases expressly cited by Posner as legal authority in his opinion–the Medieval Spawn copyright covered the distinct new elements not drawn from the preexisting copyrighted character, Spawn. Gaiman’s legal right to incorporate these elements in a new derivative work was implicit in his agreement with his co-creator McFarlane, who was also Spawn’s creator and the owner of the Spawn copyright.

According to the latest court filings a settlement is still being negotiated, but the various court rulings in the case establish that Gaiman’s co-ownership interest as the Medieval Spawn’s co-creator gives him a clear financial stake in any profits that Medieval Spawn generated. Because he and McFarlane had not specified otherwise in a written agreement, under the default rule for joint ownership the profits are to be divided equally. This extends not just to the direct exploitation of Medieval Spawn in comics, statues and other material, but to the character’s own separately copyrighted derivative works–principally Dark Ages Spawn, which, despite its distinct elements, was substantially similar to the preexisting material that Gaiman co-created.

Medieval Spawn’s legal status as a derivative work, however, makes the question of Gaiman’s right to use the character somewhat more complex, once again in no small measure due to the lack of a written agreement delineating any terms. The 50/50 split of the profits does not automatically give Gaiman an unfettered right to use Medieval Spawn, as if he were, like Jerry Siegel or Joe Shuster, the joint owner of a wholly original work. Because Medieval Spawn is a derivative work, the separate copyright in the character extends only to such material as is new to the character. Any elements drawn from the pre-existing Spawn material remain the property of the initial creator–that is, Todd McFarlane–and as such arguably can be used only with McFarlane’s permission as a sublicensee. It is conceivable that a court could infer that Gaiman has an express or implicit license for ongoing independent use from the circumstances of the character’s co-creation, but such an inference is not required by law.

This may sound unusual, but it is actually a quite common legal problem, particularly in the software industry and other businesses that license works for specialized adaptation. For example, consider the following scenario based on an actual court ruling in the same appellate circuit as the Siegel lawsuits. Company X licenses a copyrighted photo and substantially alters it for use in the company’s advertising. After a specified period of time, the underlying license expires. Even though the alterations may be sufficiently distinct as to make Company K the co-owner of a separately copyrightable derivative work, Company K legally cannot re-use the altered photo without getting a new license from the photographer who created the pre-existing image.

And this is where things get particularly interesting–because in the Superman case, DC is Company X.

What Gaiman means for Superman

As it stands, the Gaiman case DID NOT establish a clear precedent for depriving the Siegel and Shuster heirs of their rights in contemporary derivative works by arbitrarily splitting Superman into two separate characters. Moreover, Gaiman does not give judges the authority, as some have suggested, to use DC’s derivative Superman material as the basis for giving the company an unfettered right to create new Superman works as co-owner after Siegel and Shuster heirs recapture the entirety of the original copyright in 2013. The law on both fronts is well established, both in precedent and in the Copyright Act–copyright owners of preexisting material have exclusive rights to create or to authorize derivative works, and the former owner of a terminated copyright interest does not have the right to produce new post-termination derivative works without a license.

If DC’s lawyers are relying on the relaunch, changes in powers or any other variant in Superman’s characterization as the basis for establishing that the contemporary Super-verse has no intrinsic ties to the Siegel and Shuster material, it’s a strategy that has little chance of success. Such differences may reduce the amount of any payout to the heirs in apportioning post-termination profits, but they have littl chance of erasing the incontrovertible connections between the past and present Superman universe, from Clark Kent, Lois Lane, and the super-strong do-gooder from Krypton to recurring narrative themes that apparently will continue through the relaunch and beyond.

Nonetheless, even if the parties do not settle and it looks like the Shuster heir will succeed in recapturing the remaining 50% of the original Siegel and Shuster Superman material in 2013, there are ways for DC to try to minimize the potential damage. Not only would DC continue to have the right to continue to sell copies of items created between 1938 and the 2013 termination date, the company would likely challenge any new works by the heirs that call to mind the Superman with which we are familiar, on the grounds that such material would infringe on the copyrighted elements that DC will continue to own. There are arguments to counter such legal action, but the fight would no doubt be expensive.

Ultimately, though, perhaps the most effective way outside of settlement for DC to limit the damage from 2013 would be to persuade a higher court to overturn the Siegels’ landmark 2008 victory. It’s a strategy that worked with Superboy, and it could happen with Superman as well.

In my next post, I’ll explain how DC just might be able to win.

[Jeff Trexler is a lawyer and consultant and a comics fan who writes frequently about how legal matters pertain to comics.]
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Finally decided which DCnU #1s I'm ordering:

Justice League
Wonder Woman
Captain Atom
The Fury of Firestorm
Green Arrow
The Savage Hawkman
Mister Terrific
Action Comics
Superman
Batgirl
Catwoman
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Resurrection Man
O.M.A.C.
All-Star Western
Legion of Super-Heroes

That's 17, a goodly number for my budget. I doubt most of them will get past my three-issue try-out pattern. Sgt. Rock looks like a disgrace. Rock should never be in a contemporary setting.
DennisMM

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:40 pm

The Saturday schedule for Comic-Con is up.
11:15-12:30 DC Comics - The New 52
DC Comics explodes in September with 52 new number one issues and one panel is not enough to cover it! With a "DC Comics - The New 52" panel each day, there's sure to be something for everyone! Join Dan DiDio, DC Entertainment Co-Publisher, Bob Harras, DC's Editor-in-Chief, and DC Comics Executive Editor, Eddie Berganza, for an up-close look at this unprecedented wave of new series, from the first-ever re-launches of Action Comics and Batman titles to the latest thrills from comics' cutting-edge! Room 6DE
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:39 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 pm

DC Comics The New 52 extended Trailer :

From Hero Complex:
DC Comics hopes revamped heroes and digital will save the day
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:22 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:26 am

From The Source:
A First Look at Acclaimed Artist Jill Thompson’s take on THE SHADE

From Digital Spy:
'Justice Society' new project confirmed by DC Comics
Tom Ayres wrote:DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio has teased the return of the Justice Society of America.

The legacy series was notably absent from the solicitations for DC's company-wide relaunch next month, after the company claimed they were 'resting' the concept at present.

However, during this weekend's Fan Expo Canada, DiDio confirmed that a new Justice Society project is in the works.

"Should we tease?" DiDio asked during the 'New 52' panel, before confirming that former Justice League of America writer James Robinson and artist Nicola Scott are involved with the project.

"We don't want them to just be cameos and then forgotten," DiDio explained to Newsarama. "We've waited on Justice Society of America because we really wanted to get the details right.

"We were hammering out the characters as late as yesterday."

Despite the absence of a Justice Society of America series in 'The New 52', sometime JSA member Mister Terrific will star in his own ongoing series.

DC's 'The New 52' begins on August 31 with Justice League of America #1.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:27 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 pm

From Bleeding Cool August 29, 2011:
Justice League #1 Has Sold Out
Rich Johnston wrote:There may have been over 200,000 preorders from retailers. And DC Comics will no doubt have included a generous over print.

But according to retailers trying to up their orders of the first of the New 52 titles from Diamond, they can no longer order additional copies of Justice League #1.

Officially it has designated by Diamond as on “backorder”. This is usually an early indicator that the comic in question has sold out… second printing anyone?

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE: August 30, 2011
DC’s ‘Justice League #1′ Sold Out Already: Renumbering Of All DC’s Superhero Comics
NIKKI FINKE wrote:An insider just told me that DC Entertainment at Warner Bros is “in the throes of turning the comic book industry on its head” with a massive publishing relaunch. “DC Comics – The New 52” (see exclusive video below) is a bold renumbering of all of DC’s superhero comics (52 all-new #1 issues). And the industry-changing move is to now offer comics for sale digitally on the very same day as physically. “The New 52” kicks off at midnight tonight in comic shops across the nation. Now, some details may have leaked out to the comic book pundits. But I can tell you exclusively that the first printing of Justice League #1 has officially sold out today in advance of tomorrow’s on-sale date, and DC is rushing back to press for a second printing. (Yes, I know: these things almost always sell out. And in the not-so-old days sold way more.) Over 200,000 physical copies of JL1, along with tens of thousands of digital copies, are expected to be sold worldwide. I understand that Justice League #1 has a particular connection to DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson’s exec team, as its writer is DCE’s Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and its artist is DCE’s Co-Publisher Jim Lee, two of the biggest creators in the industry. The pair will be signing at Midtown Comics in NYC’s Times Square tonight. Insiders are calling it “the beginning of the biggest comic industry publishing event in nearly a decade”. I’m told that “DC Comics – The New 52” will continue launching throughout September, with new #1 titles for Action Comics, Batman, Detective, Flash, Green Lantern, Superman, and Wonder Woman releasing in-store and online every Wednesday.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 pm

The New DCU is All About The Books, Not The Movies/Games/Etc.
Graeme McMillan wrote:There’s a lot to unpack from the latest ICv2 interview with Dan Didio and Jim Lee ahead of tomorrow/tonight’s launch of Justice League #1 and the new 52 (Part 1, 2, 3), whether it’s Didio’s “Right now we’re determining kids as being teenagers at this moment and that’s where our focus is with the New 52 books,” Lee’s “Our strategy is not to garner as much market share as possible,” or the idea that “Drawing the line at $2.99″ was a success not because it raised sales, but because it stopped sales dropping. But perhaps the thing that will reassure most fans is this, from Jim Lee on how involved Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment – rather than DC Comics – were in the redesign/relaunch of the DCU:
There’s definitely closer communication; in terms of coordination, that’s a stronger word. When I say communication, obviously when we make changes like this to iconic characters other departments and divisions within Warner Brothers know what’s happening on a creative level. That said, this is not about us taking initial steps to redefine the character for all media. This is a publishing initiative… [N]one of these changes were designed to set the stage for other media exploitation of the same ideas. When you look at film, animation, video games, they really look at the vast catalogue of DC characters and stories and pick out what appeals to that film-maker or that game developer and then they choose to focus on that creative part of a character’s history. And that’s why you have so many different interpretations of some of these core characters. But at the end of the day, everyone knows that they’re Batman, or Superman or Wonder Woman.

We felt incumbent upon us as co-publishers that we needed to drive as much interest in the characters as they originally started out with as published characters. We felt that the plans we have for September maximize our ability to drive interest in the characters and that we had this once in a lifetime opportunity to remold them in a way that would pay greater dividends down the line.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:58 pm

The DCnU Take 2: CAPTAIN ATOM
Vaneta Rogers wrote:Over the past year, Captain Atom emerged as a central character in the bi-weekly series Justice League: Generation Lost.

Now that the DCU is relaunching, Captain Atom gets his own series by writer J.T. Krul, who's also launching a new Green Arrow in September. For the new series, he'll be working with Freddie Williams III of Robin fame.

The first time we spoke with Krul about the comic, he said the book was about humanity, but takes off right away in issue #1.

"It's on the intense side — and brings a very sci-fi feel to the character," Krul said. "We wanted to explore the vast powers Captain Atom possesses and really make it a journey of discovery — both for the reader and the character as well. It's not a primer on quantum mechanics and physics, but the scope of Captain Atom's abilities touch upon such areas, so that science fiction vibe comes through loud and clear. But at the same time, it's a visceral story — pushing Captain Atom to his very limits — even in the first issue."

In the next installment of our DCnU Take 2, we talk to Krul about Captain Atom and get a few more details of what to expect in this part of the New 52.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:53 pm

From BC:
Bat Editor Janelle Asselin Quits DC For Disney (UPDATE)
Rich Johnston wrote:Bleeding Cool understand that Batbooks editor Janelle Asselin has handed in her notice at DC Comics. And on learning that she was leaving for Disney, suddenly didn’t have to serve her notice any more and was escorted out of the building.

Working principly on the Batbooks at DC Comics since 2008, Janelle was listed as Editor of Birds Of Prey #1 and Savage Hawkman #1, and Associate Editor on Detective Comics #1, Batwoman #1, Batman #1, Blackhawks #1 and the upcoming Batman Inc as part of the DC New 52 Relaunch.

She has also built quite the fan following on Twitter where she posts as @gimpnelly.

I understand she will be working at Disney Magazines. It’s possible there may be some Marvel content in there…

Neither DC nor Janelle chose to comment.

UPDATE: Not a confirmation, per se, but Janelle has tweeted “Thanks for all the love, guys! I really appreciate it!” She also tweeted “Seriously, though, for the record, I wasn’t escorted out today. I left today, but at my leisure.”

Dan DiDio’s Spinning Plates At DC Comics
Rich Johnston wrote:Over the past few weeks I’ve been hearing disquiet emanating from the offices of 1700 Broadway.

You may have thought that the unquestionable success of the relaunch would have been cause for celebration at DC Comics and amongst its freelance creatives. And I’m sure some people are very pleased indeed.

But more and more, from creator upon creator, I’ve been hearing horror stories. No one is prepared to go on the record, those NDAs hold strong, and people would actually like to keep their jobs. For now.

Because I understand that at least one high profile creator will be making the jump to Marvel. As will quite a few slightly less-high profile creators with an opportunity to play up their new higher profiles in the wake of the relaunch. And that Marvel has also had to turn down a number of enquiries.

One common criticism being heard from a number of sources concerns the micro management of Dan DiDio, compared repeatedly to that of Bill Jemas*. Repeatedly asking for changes, then asking for changes to those changes. And then more changes to those that take them back to where they were in the first place, except now they’re up against an impossible deadline, which must be met…

But here’s the thing. The relaunch is a success. And much of that can be put down to Dan DiDio who has been pushing for approach this for years, and has been completely validated in the success gained. The question is, is it a success because of such management or despite it?

It has been observed by some that Dan DiDio has placed his personal reputation within the company on the relaunch. As a result, right now his stock within the company has never been higher – quite a jump from three years ago when Nikki Finke was telling everyone he was about to be fired. But there’s the viewpoint that he can’t quite believe his recent success and is insistent on running a Red Queen’s Race to keep everything the way it is, spinning as many plates as he can to keep them in the air. And smashing any plate the second it looks like it might have a hint of a wobble.

But all that spinning may see certain plates flying off somewhere else…

*It might be worth recalling that despite criticism, Jemas gave Marvel the Ultimate Universe and co-wrote the first issues of Ultimate Spider-Man.**

**Admittedly he also wrote Marville.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Books