Getting ready for Superman 701

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Getting ready for Superman 701

Postby inanegeek on Mon May 10, 2010 1:32 pm

this is my mates blog entry on my site...read pretty well so thought id see what anyone else thought as im not up to date on Superman at the moment

I must confess, though I’m a comicoholic, I have only been reading them for about two years. Due to budget constraints I had to pick a side and, for a number of reasons, I picked DC. I proceeded to choose characters I liked and jumped on their monthlies. I went with marquee titles like Batman and GL and fringe books like Booster Gold and Secret Six. However, as my love for DC grew, it was always strange to me that I never got the urge to pick up Superman, arguably the biggest most recognised character in comics.

Now the apathy to Superman has been discussed here previously and general consensus among other blogs and sites is that very few writers have nailed the character. These factors didn’t play into my decision too much, the main reason I didn’t pick the book up was New Krypton.

Jumping onto New Krypton was like jumping on a speeding train. There just didn’t seem to be a way in and, judging by the reviews, it didn’t seem worth the effort. So I was content in letting the Superman Universe be. Then came the news that changed my mind, JMS is on the book from #701.

After his recent run on Brave & The Bold, I’m quite willing to hand over my money for anything with his name on the cover (which ironically is the complete opposite of our current Superman writer Mr. Robinson) so putting this on the pull list is a no brainer. But, having read no modern Superman stories, I still didn’t feel ready to get on the train. So I went about reading a few modern stories as a warm up and here’s a few inane thoughts about them.

Superman Secret Origin

The book’s good, very good in fact. I’ll accept the argument that it is somewhat indulgent and that it’s hard to see the point of the overall process as it offers little new material however that does not take away from the fact that this is a very enjoyable story that is well worth the admission. Johns’ subtle tweaks help streamline the mythos and Frank’s artwork is easy on the eye (his Christopher Reeve Kal/Clark is ingenious). All in all it’s well worth the read. Wait for the trade now if you must, and wait for it to be on sale if you really must, but read it because it’s a hell of a lot of fun.

Superman: Brainiac

This is pure genius. It’s the real deal, I never thought I could enjoy Superman as much as this but I was happy to be proved wrong. I would even go as far as to say that I enjoyed this more than All Star Superman. Again the tweaks to the mythos are subtle but here they are inspired. The story of Kandor is intriguing and the revamp of Brainiac is chilling. In fact the whole story was full of ‘hairs on end’ moments. If you haven’t read this, I implore you to do so, you won’t regret it.

War of the Supermen #0

Okay, this is free guys, you’ve probably already read it so I’ll be quick. Feel free to skip if you want but if you do you’ll miss something rare… me admitting that I enjoyed a modern James Robinson comic. After the dross that was Cry for Justice and that truly awful Blackest Night: JSA crossover, I’d written Robinson off, but he’s surprised me here. He does a more than competent job of filling in what you’ve missed on New Krypton and at the same time sets the stage for what seems like it’s going to be a fairly entertaining popcorny blockbuster. I wasn’t going to hand over money for the next four weeks on this event, now I am. That’s about the best praise I can give it.

So that’s where I am. I am buzzed for #701 and what I hope will be the start of the modern classic run that DC are promising and after reading the stories above I now feel ready to jump on the speeding train.
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Getting ready for Superman by JMS

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:55 am

From Bleeding Cool:
Sunday Runaround – Superman Goes Walkies
J. Michael Straczynski’s landmark “Grounded” story continues! As word spreads throughout the country that Superman has embarked on a mysterious, unprecedented journey, some go out to meet The Man of Steel – others plan to stop him at all costs…

Superman goes walkies folks! As we reported in April;
According to industry rumours, the Man Of Steel is going to… attempt to be a better man and to better relate to humanity. The story will follow his journey as he walks from one side of the USA… One part Midnight Nation, one part Forrest Gump, two parts Amazing Spider-Man #50 and Superman II? It does seem to fit the theme of the gorgeous John Cassaday cover…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Getting ready for Superman 701

Postby MacCready on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:09 am

"I took a walk around the world to ease my troubled mind
I left my body lying somewhere in the sands of time
I watched the world float through the dark side of the moon
I feel there's nothing I can do...."

Seemed somehow relevant to this conversation.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 am

MacCready wrote:"I took a walk around the world to ease my troubled mind
I left my body lying somewhere in the sands of time
I watched the world float through the dark side of the moon
I feel there's nothing I can do...."

Seemed somehow relevant to this conversation.

Nice!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: JMS' Superman

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 am

CBR @ NYCC: DC Universe
JMS said there's a new element to Superman's walking tour—there will be New Kryptonite from the exploded New Krypton, and it affects humans.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Getting ready for 'Action Comics' #900

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:18 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:37 am

Warning: This article contains spoilers that some readers may prefer to avoid.

From Bleeding Cool:
Action Comics #900 Is A Fox News Story Waiting To Happen As Superman Rejects God And America

From CA:
Superman Renounces [SPOILER] in 'Action Comics' #900
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:35 pm

From IGN:
Lost Creator Talks Superman
Lost creator Damon Lindelof has dived into the comics world before with Marvel's Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk, but never has he dealt with an iconic figure like Superman. For the anniversary epic Action Comics #900, DC Comics got Lindelof on board to write a segment of the jam-packed issue.

Lindelof had a brief chat with IGN Comics about his story; illustrated by Ryan Sook, it stars a distraught Jor-El -- only days before the explosion of Krypton -- as he tries to cope with what's on the horizon.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Comic Books