Matt Fraction's Casanova

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Matt Fraction's Casanova

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:11 am

[Comics AllianceExclusive Preview]:
Matt Fraction's 'Casanova: Avaritia' Returns With a Spatiotemporal Bang
Laura Hudson wrote:Matt Fraction's creator-owned tale of interdimensional espionage, evil twins and body-swapping love returns this September with Casanova: Avaritia, a.k.a. avarice, the third of the deadly sins that title each volume. As the new chapter opens, dimension-tripping superspy Casanova Quinn is still bitterly estranged from his father -- and boss -- who has tasked him with the job of cauterizing the timelines that were were damaged by his previous leap through space-time. Which is to say, committing holocaust after holocaust as he obliterates entire alternate universes on a daily basis. It's quite possibly the worst job in all the worlds, but someone has to do it.
Ready for an exclusive six-page preview of the comic that has been blowing our minds since 2006? Because we've got one.

We've talked a lot about Casanova before, and how it's not just the indie masterpiece of one of the biggest writers in comics today -- it's one of our favorite comics period, so we're pretty excited to see the first new issue of the series in over three years. Originally published at Image Comics, it recently moved to Marvel's creator-owned Icon imprint, which rereleased all fourteen issues start to finish with brand-new colors. Avaritia is pencilled by Gabriel Ba, who illustrated the first volume, Luxuria, and has been trading off art duties with his twin brother, Fabio Moon.

If you'd like to preorder the book, click over to Things From Another World, or print out the teaser above and take it to your local comic shop before mid-August to make sure you get a copy. You'll want to. Check it out below, and if you haven't read the first two volumes, Luxuria and Gula, buy them now in book format or check out the digital versions on the Marvel app for iPad and iPhone.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/07/1 ... z1RrRH3LEd
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Matt Fraction's Casanova

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:36 am

SPOILERS
From Broken Frontier:
One You Want 007: Casanova: Avaritia #1, Icon
Joe Keatinge wrote:Check this out. I’m looking at JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, which is the biggest release comics has had in some time. Jim Lee. Geoff Johns. A bunch of famous superheroes. $3.99. It contains twenty-four pages of comics, interrupted pretty regularly by ads for other comics, Batman shoes and Green Lantern milk. There’s a four page sketchbook section in the back containing material I’ve largely seen before. All this is backed by a major corporation, featuring a multi-who-knows-illion dollar market budget featuring ads everywhere, including television. While a quality book, it took me about three minutes to read. This isn’t to disparage the work, it’s great for pop superhero punch books (which I think is great), but still.

So, CASANOVA: AVARITIA. For a mere dollar more you get EIGHT more pages of comics with absolutely no ads for CASANOVA shoes, milk or whatever. The only ad is on the back cover, which advertises the next issue with a giant panda leaping to most likely tear the shit into somebody. I’m fine with ads like this. I would buy milk from that panda.

SPOILERS
From IGN:
Casanova: Avaritia #1 Review
Jesse Schedeen wrote:Casanova Quinn is back and better than ever after a long absence.

The only area where Avaritia doesn't quite measure up to its predecessors yet is the back-matter. Past issues have seen Fraction toss in some very stream-of-consciousness writing that serves as a supplement to the main story and an account of where his head is at during the scripting process. However, Avaritia introduces a letter column, greatly reducing Fraction's own input. The letters are far from the usual generic, overly congratulatory fare you'll see in most comics, but it's still no substitute for Fraction's in-depth conversations with fellow creators or the deeply personal glimpses into his life and career. Hopefully four issues is enough to build up the same sort of fascinating rapport between readers and writer that books like Transmetropolitan and The Invisibles managed back in the day.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:25 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:21 am

Matt Fraction talks Casanova and the insanity awaiting the Marvel Universe
Cyriaque Lamar wrote:io9 recently had the opportunity to catch up with Marvel Comics megascribe Matt Fraction (Fear Itself, Invincible Iron Man) and pick his brain about some of his latest projects, such as Casanova: Avaritia (his gonzo espionage series with twin brothers Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon) and his upcoming run on Defenders (which features a brand new team that includes Iron Fist and Red She-Hulk).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 am

From CBR:
ADVANCE REVIEW: "Casanova: Avaritia" #3
Ryan K. Lindsay gives "Casanova: Avaritia" #3 by Matt Fraction and Gabriel Ba 4 stars saying, "Never has there been a story that is a better autobiographical journey into madness combined with a kick ass spy-fu tale."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 22, 2012 1:34 am

PREVIEW – CASANOVA: Avaritia #4
Warren Ellis wrote:CASANOVA, one of my very favourite comics, reaches the end of its third volume on June 20. After the cut, please enjoy a preview of CASANOVA: AVARITIA #4 by Matt Fraction and Gabriel Ba. And then go and buy all the books if you haven’t already and then squat by your comics store or iPad like a stoned gibbon with a sore bum until this wonderful comic is released. Begin.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 30, 2012 1:20 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re:Casanova - Acedia

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:52 am

Casanova cover studies
Gabriel Bá wrote:They all look the same, but there are little differences, and I'm still not happy with any of them. So simple. So hard.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Casanova IV - Acedia

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Pulitzer-Winner Chabon Joins Fraction on New CASANOVA Volume
Albert Ching wrote:Despite the announcement coming on April 1, Fraction has made it clear to several fans on Twitter and Tumblr that this is not an April Fools' prank.

Matt Fraction:
When CASANOVA returns at the end of the year, the main story by Moon and me will be backed up by shorts created by Michael Chabon and Bá.

He keeps saying “Like TALES OF ASGARD” and I’m not sure if he’s kidding or not.

CASANOVA IV

Will Michael Chabon Write For Fraction And Ba’s Casanova?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Casanova: Acedia

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:14 am

Michael Chabon, Matt Fraction Revive 'Casanova' at Image
The Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist joins the "Sex Criminals" writer for a fourth volume of the universe-spanning metanarrative.
Graeme McMillan wrote:After a short run at Marvel, Matt Fraction's critically-acclaimed Casanova is returning to Image Comics, it was announced at today's Image Expo, with both of the series' artists -- Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba -- along for the ride. There will also be a co-writer for the first time in the series' history: Michael Chabon.

Casanova: Acedia, the fourth volume of the series, will feature a main story by Fraction and Moon in which Casanova Quinn explores the parallel universe he escaped to at the end of Casanova: Avaritia (A parallel universe which just so happens to be our own; he'll be in Los Angeles, though, so it's not as if he'll be entirely escaping the magic realism he's used to), as well as short back-up strips by Chabon and Ba.

"I'm very excited to be back on Planet Casanova again," Fraction said, adding that the new series will be accompanied by "fancy-ass hardcover" collections of the previous series for new readers to catch up on the story so far. "Buckle up, buttercups," he teased the audience about what's to come in the new volume.

Casanova originally ran as an Image title from 2006 through 2008, before the series was put on hiatus and revived under Marvel Entertainment's Icon brand in late 2011. The title's return has been some time coming -- it was originally promised last April as a Marvel title for "the end of the year." No specific date was given for the Image Comics relaunch.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Casanova: Acedia

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:19 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:21 am

IMAGE EXPO: FRACTION PREPARES FOR GENDER-SWAPPED "ODY-C," MUSES MARVEL FUTURE
Albert Ching wrote:You also revealed at the Image Expo keynote that "Casanova," formerly of Marvel's Icon line, is now back at its original home, Image. What prompted that decision?

It's just best for the book right now. And that's sort of what all the business decisions about "Casanova" have always been -- "What is going to allow the book to exist right now?" This is the best place for us right now. I'm thrilled to be back.

It was the first comic I ever wrote, and I wrote it because Eric Stephenson asked if I wanted to write a comic. I had written short stories, and I had written graphic novels, but I hadn't written a comic with staples. It was all on Eric. He was and is "Casanova's" first fan, and I think I can channel the excitement and energy that Image has right now into recreating and rebirthing the series.

When the story opens up, Casanova has complete amnesia. Casanova doesn't remember the first three volumes, and he's not going to figure it out. So it's kind of a perfect place for new readers to come in, because your lead character has no idea what happened in the past, either. An interstellar James Bond has complete amnesia, and Blofeld and all the bad guys find out. Basically everybody he's ever pissed off, every woman whose heart he's ever broke, every relationship he ever ruined, every person he's ever left widowed or orphaned, find out he's helpless as a kitten, living on our Earth, in a very regular, normal place, in Los Angeles, and all of the bad guys come after him. It's like a sexy, psychedelic, spy-addled "Straw Dogs."

This sets up the next trilogy. There were three volumes, and we're going to put out hardcovers of those; we're going to put out, I hope, a big collection of all three. But this is always going to stand alone, unless we collect everything in one giant book -- which I'm not a fan of, but I could be swayed. This was always a standalone in the grand scheme of things. This is the most different; this is entirely independent. It's the midpoint, and the main character doesn't remember the first three -- so, come on.

And we can't ignore the Michael Chabon-written back-ups, which, from the news that surfaced a few months back, started with him being a fan?

That's how we met. Chabon was on a book tour -- he was in Lawrence, Kansas, this was when I lived in Kansas City -- Jai [Nitz] and I went to meet him, talked about comics a little bit, and Michael expressed that he was a fan, and he knew that I was there, and was hoping I would come out. Jai said, "This is going to sound crazy, but Michael Chabon just said he wished you would come out and meet him." I was terrified. I can't express to you -- I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it -- how important of a writer he is to my life, and how important a writer he was to my development as a writer. I always feel weird saying, "This is the book that made me want to be a writer!" It feels so diminishing and silly. But he is an incredibly important person in my development.

I just didn't believe it. I introduced myself -- I brought him comics, which he then stopped me, and reached into his own bag. He had brought them just in case I came out. So we started to talk, then we became friends, and our families have broken bread together; I've watched his kids grow up.

One day we ended up on a podcast together, and we were joking around about doing something, and he said, "The only comics I want to write are back-up stories for 'Casanova.'" "Done. You're in. Let's go." Afterwards: "Were we kidding? How much of a joke was that?" "I'm not kidding at all." So, away we go. One of my heroes is now writing a book with me.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:40 pm

Review: Casanova Acedia #1 Mo’ Memories Mo’ Problems
“The rules are simple. The gun is always loaded. The safety is always off. The fucker always fires.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 am

SDCC ’15: Gabriel Ba Meets Gerard Way Next Week, Draws Umbrella Academy Next Month

Two Brothers On TWO BROTHERS - FABIO MOON & GABRIEL BA
Fábio Moon: I’m drawing the fifth issue of Casanova: Acedia, and Bá is working on the first issue of the third Umbrella Academy series, as well as the backup stories on Casanova: Acedia, written by Michael Chabon.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Comic Books