IMAGE COMICS

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

IMAGE COMICS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:05 am

From Bleeding Cool"
Image Comics – A Threat To DC?
Rich Johnston wrote:It was the double punch of Jupiter’s Children and Happy that seems to have done it.

Frank Quitely and Grant Morrison, creators who had worked for DC on the monster hit All Star Superman, Flex Mentallo and We3 and currently working on one of the Multiversity issues together.

And suddenly Frank Quitely is working with Mark Millar on Jupiter’s Children from Image. A twelve issue series.

And then before you know it, Grant Morrison is working with Darick Robertson on Happy from Image.

And while we’re talking about it, DC Comics had big plans for Bryan Hitch. But he has his own Image comic, America’s Got Powers delaying them.

And Image Comics has started growing. With The Walking Dead tearing up the charts and filling the bookstore sales, repeatedly and consistently beating their rivals, and in May taking over seven percent share of the market, when they were under five percent a couple of months ago. And that’s share of an increasing not decreasing market.

In the past, Marvel and DC exclusives had been quite laissez faire about creator owned contracts. So Jason Aaron could work on Vertigo’s Scalped (even though it’s more of a creator participant deal) without any issue. But with these moves, and the odds that creators are more likely to promote their own owned work than that of a publisher, word has been coming down at DC and I’m told by creators that the latest exclusive contracts are far tighter on creator owned work outside the company.

It might help if DC actually had a decent creator owned imprint, as Marvel does with their Icon deal. DC used to have Piranha Press, but that was some time ago… and Vertigo’s terms contracted a few years ago as well.

Basically, if you are exclusive at DC right now, you are really really exclusive…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Frank Quitely's 'Jupiter's Children'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 am

From THR:
First Look: Mark Millar & Frank Quitely's 'Jupiter's Children' (Heat Vision Exclusive)

Exclusive: Frank Quitely's 'Jupiter's Children' (Photos)
The lady in red
The lady in red, along with the guy in the parka, are a sister-brother duo of B-list wannabees who didn't make the A-list. "They'll do anything to get on the cover of the magazines and are only too happy to spread rumors and cause trouble as rumblings in the community start to spread," says Millar.

The Oldest Living Superhero
"He's had his powers since he discovered a mysterious island back in the Great Depression, but he's a curiosity now," describes Millar. "His altruistic ideals, like his costume, are just out of synch with all the young heroes."

Eagle-crested super-heroine
The lady who looks like she stepped out of a Legion of Super-Heroes story is "the old hero's wife and they've had this perfect marriage for almost 80 years," says Millar. "They're the last two superheroes with secret identities. They're old school and we love them for it, but they don't understand their children."

The Hero's Brother
"He isn't as strong or as handsome as his famous sibling and lacks charisma, but he's thoughtful and very aware of his legacy as he hits old age," says Millar. "He's looking around at the financial crash and wondering if he can help in ways other than rescuing kittens from trees and all those nice things superheroes do."

The Cool Guy
Says Millar: "This guy is our Han Solo. He's the son of the biggest super-villain in the world and running drugs in from off-world. Incredibly funny, cool and likeable and, to make things quite complicated, in a secret relationship with the daughter of the world's greatest hero."

The Duo
Says Millar: "These guys are the kids of the old couple. They're both in their twenties and completely live in the shadows of their perfect parents. I like the idea of exploring what it would be like to grow up as the kids of the two most famous and beloved people on the planet. This side of things has a very Postcards From The Edge feel and there's enormous tension between them all"

The Man in the Parka
This is the brother of the lady in the red chaps. The two are B-list wannabees who didn't make the A-list. "They'll do anything to get on the cover of the magazines and only too happy to spread rumours and cause trouble as rumblings in the community start to spread," says Millar.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: IMAGE COMICS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:30 am

John Layman Cooks Up "Chew's" Half-Way Point
Kiel Phegley wrote:When it comes to Image Comics' hit series "Chew," it's hard to write about the book without making food puns.

Part of that is due to the series' high concept -- Agent Tony Chu's struggles as a "Cibopath" who gains psychic impressions from his food living in a world where chicken has been outlawed. And part of it is writer John Layman's penchant for naming his characters after every edible substance known to man (aided by the robust illustrations of artist and co-creator Rob Guillory). And of course, part of it is just that it's fun to say things like "Layman Cooks Up 'Chew's' Half-Way Point."

But however you want to justify the puns, there's no denying that next week's issue #30 promises to be a major moment in the ongoing story of Tony Chu -- even if he's not around to see most of it. The comic marks the end of the "Space Cakes" arc and the end of the book's first half, and Layman and Guillory have promised some major shake-ups to the story as a result.

To help readers get caught up on their regular diet of "Chew" news, CBR spoke to Layman about all the twists and turns that have led to this moment. From the flash-forward issue, readers have been waiting months to understand to the secret relationships set to tear Tony's world apart and from the revelations about the powers of the Chu family to the vampiric visitor who takes a bite out of #30's wedding event, Layman dishes all the details below.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Mark Millar Expands His Image Universe
Kiel Phegley wrote:Writer Mark Millar has never had a problem going big. From his penchant for proclaiming his upcoming projects in astronomically large terms to his continued success turning his creator-owned works into Hollywood films, Millar's personality comes with a certain outsized set of proportions.

But for his next wave of creator-owned comics, the writer has been emboldened by the response of his 10-part superhero epic with artist Frank Quitely, "Jupiter's Children," to apparently continue down the path of "bigger is always better." Earlier this month at the Image Expo in San Francisco, Millar appeared via video to announce a new string of projects he called "the Marvel Universe for the 21st Century" – a line of books starting up in January of next year with "MPH" created with artist Duncan Fegredo.

To unpack this ambitions, Image Comics hosted a press call with Millar to discuss "Jupiter's Legacy," his new series and everything under the sun.

The call kicked off with talk of "Jupiter's Legacy" #3 which arrives next month. "This is the issue when everything cuts loose," Millar said. "We've basically been putting the pieces in place for this issue...this is when the shit really hits the fan. I think this issue is probably the best work of Frank Quitely." Millar said that that final layout for the book's release schedule will be a 10-issue series released in two chunks of five monthly issues.

"I'm just writing it as if it's coming out monthly. I'm writing issue #7 at the moment...Frank will be drawing it through some of next year," he said. "Back in October or November, I literally sat in front of a white board and wrote out all the back stories of the characters...it's been a real labor of love for me. Things are about to get crazy with it. This has been me being a good boy for the first few issues and setting everything up, but now we're able to get really wild with it."

Millar compared his construction of the story to Hollywood blockbusters, saying that he wanted to fight against the penchant of the big studios to do empty action all story long. Instead, "Jupiter's Legacy" is putting a focus on character work up front as director Matthew Vaughn has done in hopes that people will connect with the human drama first and then be shocked by the action later. "We're so used to being numb to violence in superhero comics," he said, saying that #3 will be a shocking break before returning to the familial drama after. "This is the moment where things go bad after meeting all the characters...it's just manipulating the audience, I guess. Your heart quickens in the next issue, and then you get a breather in issue #4."

The writer also made a comparison between his comics work and his film work, saying that he feels working on movies has reminded him why he'll always stay in comics as he's constantly feeling the pressure of budget constrictions in film. Now with "MPH" and his future comics work, he plans on growing his ideas and his execution to unlimited levels.

"My office looks like Sherlock Holmes' study," he laughed. "The way I'm handling it is that 'Jupiter's Legacy' is the movie that all the people in my other comics go and see...you'll see a scene in 'Kick-Ass 3' with a poster for it." Moving forward, all his new superhero books will spin out of the "Kick-Ass" universe where Hit-Girl may run through the background of "MPH." Though once the ten issues are done, there will be no more stories told in the world of "Jupiter's Legacy." "I don't want anyone other than Frank Quitely drawing these characters."

Thematically, Millar said "Legacy" is less a criticism of America than it is a love letter to ideas he's previously taken a more cynical view of in his work. "Everything I've done up until now, like most British writers, has been very anti-authoritarian," he said, but with this series, he wanted to focus on the benefits of democracy and the American system of government. "That ideal – that 1776 one – is a very sweet thing...it might not be around forever. So I kind of wanted to write a book about how awesome America is...I like the idea of America. What happens in this storyline is that the superheroes think they know better [how to run things]...and what happens next is the consequences."

The writer said that blowing the world of "Kick-Ass" out into more titles was the logical next step after going as big as he could in story terms with "Legacy," "You try and expand," he said. "Something like 'Kick-Ass' is relatively intimate, but 'Jupiter's Legacy' is ten times as expensive...but the one thing that could be bigger than that is the Marvel Universe...it's interesting, I interviewed Stan [Lee] for a magazine a few years ago, and he said how there were so few people [in the '60s] creating new characters...that suddenly seemed very exciting to me: the way he, Kirby and Ditko had gotten together. Why don't I get guys like John Romita and Frank Quitely and some other artists I haven't announced yet. I thought it would be cool to do Marvel but in a company owned by all the creators. It seemed like a great time to try something like that...I'd done my ten years at Marvel, so now seemed like the right time to try this."

"I feel I'm in a nice place. I've got the movies to advance what we're doing in print as well. I view these things as ads," he said. "I'm really just following that Marvel plan. They blazed such a trail with that stuff, it's crazy no one else has tried it. It is really hard, though...the lineup of guys we've got on these books is probably better than anything at Marvel and DC right now."

"Jupiter's Legacy" #3 goes on sale on August 28 with variant covers by Quitely, Bryan Hitch and Sean Phillips.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:11 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:55 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Image Expo 2014

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:09 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Why is Brian K. Vaughan's Saga conspicuously absent from your thesis statement? Did he not demonstrate himself for DC w/ Y the Last Man or Ex Machina? :D
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Re: Frank Quitely's 'Jupiter's Legacy'

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:47 pm

Frank Quitely: Comic book artist at work
Helen Stewart wrote:At school in Rutherglen, an undistinguished suburb of Glasgow, the young Vin Deighan was 'the best drawer in the class'. Life is a bit like that in Scotland.

"If you can't be the best footballer, you might as well be the best at drawing," he acknowledges. "There is a certain kudos."

Now Deighan has grown up and acquired an alter ego, Frank Quitely, and a successful career as a comic book artist.

As Quitely he has assisted superstar writer Grant Morrison in reimagining Superman and the X-Men, and worked with Kickass author Mark Millar on The Authority amongst others; he is definitely not short of admirers.

And, it seems, detractors. "Oh, you know," he laughs, a lot of people love my style, and a lot hate it. Comic fans are an unusually vocal population."

"I just always wanted to draw, always," he says of his childhood.

"It wasn't specifically comics, but a fundamental part of my ambition was 'imagine if I could just have a job where I could draw all the time'. No big life-changing decisions for other people, just drawing.

"If you're a brain surgeon or a judge - a bad day at work is a big deal for someone. A bad day for me is when I rub out more marks than I leave on the page."

Spoiled superheroes

BBC Four's What Do Artists Do All Day? programme recently spent 24 hours in his company, watching him pull an all-nighter at work in his small shared studio high up opposite Glasgow's busy Central Station.

He sits hunched over, sketching elegant lines on a digital drawing board and, starting with simple pale blue shapes on the page, he succeeds in bringing an almost cinematic feel to the spoiled superheroes of Mark Millar's Jupiter's Legacy.

He is without doubt an artist, as per the film's title, but how does Deighan himself view what he does?

"Well I draw the images, but I think what I do is different to those people who would call themselves fine artists. That's more akin to being the front man in the band, wanting the attention, feeling that you've got something you desperately want to say."

Without in any way wishing to play his contribution down, Deighan sees what he does as rather different.

"To do comics properly, to do the stories justice, takes a great deal of thought, but most of what I do is working from someone else's script.

"But everything that I'm putting into it is of myself; my imagination, my personal taste, my years of experience... all in the service of telling the story. How to make people's eyes move quickly across the page, how to stop them in their tracks, how to make them feel what they need to feel.

"Think of me more like an actor, using everything I've learned to turn in the performance of a lifetime, every time, but for someone else."

Deighan studied drawing at the world famous Glasgow School of Art from 1986, and while contemporaries like Turner Prize-winners Douglas Gordon and Martin Boyce were in the Environmental Art department preparing to tear up the rule books, he was spending his student grant with such aplomb that he was turfed out after two years.

"I'd had a paper round a month before getting there, I was 17. I didn't have the talk to back myself up when I got into trouble."

It was while picking up freelance work, "nightclub posters, murals, pictures of people's pets", that he started drawing 'The Greens' for Electric Soup, a fondly remembered Viz-like Glasgow comic.

Visual narrative

His strip was a scabrous re-working of Dundee's famous cartoon The Broons, with stories such as "Nightmare on Glib St" and "Monty Fux Flying Circus." (Deighan is far from immune to word-play, with Frank Quitely a spoonerism of 'quite frankly'.)

This work brought him to the attention of Judge Dredd Megazine and later the opportunity to work with fellow Scot Grant Morrison on DC Comics' Flex Mentallo.

"Someone like Grant, his writing is already so multi-layered and well realised," he says of the creator of We3 and The Invisibles. "My job, for Grant and for Mark and the others, is to make the illustrations not just a companion to the script but to provide a dynamic visual narrative."

Unusually for an artist, the better his work the less time the viewer spends looking at it, and counter-intuitively, the more simple and easy the page is to look at, often the more work has gone into it.

Deighan is well-known for skirting deadlines, and confesses that digital technology has not speeded up his production process.

"I have never been on a project where I've thought 'ach, this is rubbish', and not tried hard," he says, "It's not in my nature. The downside of that is that things take a while."

Working remotely for American titles can mean that artist and writer don't get together much. With Mark Millar being based in Glasgow the pair tend to meet for a coffee before a project, 'to check we are on the same page', and talk about character design."

"Then, off he goes to enthuse wildly and publicly, tweeting and talking to the press, like a good frontman does, while I stay out of the way. Just me, the script, and the ever-approaching deadline."

What Do Artists Do All Day?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:27 am

CBR PREVIEW: Remender & Craig Teach "Deadly Class" #3
Rick Remender & Wes Craig send Marcus and Willie on their first assassination mission in Image Comics' "Deadly Class" #3.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:54 am

ADVANCE REVIEW: Mark Millar And Duncan Fegredo's MPH #1
Mark Millar and Duncan Fegredo's MPH #1 doesn't go on sale until next month, but we've been provided with an early copy to bring you an advanced review of the next hit series from the creator of Kick-Ass and Nemesis which promises to continue to expand the "Millarworld" Universe...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:47 am

ECCC: Image All-Stars Explore Genre in Comics
An all-star ECCC panel of Image Comics creators teamed up to discuss genre writing, research process and upcoming projects.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Deadly Class

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 am

Advance Review: 'Deadly Class' by Rick Remender and Wes Craig is the prettiest Remender series yet
Taylor Lilley wrote:Even considering Image's long-standing reputation for distinctive art, Rick Remender's current and imminent creator-owned titles stand out. They're an exceptionally good looking bunch. Deadly Class, dropping this week, is the prettiest yet.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Deadly Class

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:41 am

Comics Artist Wes Craig Describes his Process

A Q&A with Deadly Class artist Wes Craig
Craig was kind enough to answer some questions from Comic Afterthoughts, ranging from the benefits of working on a creator-owned book to how he concocted the book's style.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:28 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:53 pm

NATE SIMPSON ANNOUNCES HE'S FINISHED "NONPLAYER" #2
More than three and a half years after the release of Nonplayer #1, creator Nate Simpson has announced he’s finally completed the second issue of the acclaimed sci-fi/fantasy comic.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Rick Remender Comics

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:27 am

Word Balloon:
Rick Remender Talks Seven To Eternity, Black Science, Deadly Class, Low and More
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:30 am

ComicsAlliance:
Image At 25: How ‘Casanova’ Reminded Comics To Be Weird
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Comic Books