What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:49 pm

an Ann Rice vampire alien novel? you have no business criticizing any movies not made by Uwe Boll. :-P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Maui wrote:I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid.

Ribbons, check it out and don't read any spoilers on this book. Be curious your thoughts on this. Quick read, only 300+ pages, a real mind f**k.

I just finished reading this book. What'd you think, Maui?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Ribbons, check it out and don't read any spoilers on this book. Be curious your thoughts on this. Quick read, only 300+ pages, a real mind f**k.

I thought it was a solid debut for Ian Reid. I liked the build up. You knew something was going to go terribly wrong but what. I liked how it all played out at the abandoned school. At the end of the novel, there was a slight WTF moment.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 pm

I picked up Harry Potter and the Cursed Child today. Anyone else read this and enjoy the script format?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Pharmacy Practice and the Law
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:10 am

Searching for loopholes, no doubt. :twisted:
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:16 am

Have my buddy a copy of The Bluest Eye for Christmas cuz I'm kind of an asshole that say and I've been trying to re-read it mzyself as of late. It has been a real slog. In fact I haven't been able to read worth shit lately with this fucking guy in the White House doing somethinf cuntish every day I gotta read about it on my phone/learn Spanish on my Duolingo app. It's a pretty good program, I recommend it of you want to reach out to your German neighbor and speak to him in his native tongue or you wanna get laid by an Italian.

Steve Bannon looks like an elderly lesbian.

The Bluest Eye is a depressing book
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Maui wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

I thought it was a solid debut for Ian Reid. I liked the build up. You knew something was going to go terribly wrong but what. I liked how it all played out at the abandoned school. At the end of the novel, there was a slight WTF moment.

I thought it was full of atmosphere and enjoyed the experience of reading it, but I didn't like the ending. It felt like some sort of supernatural/metaphysical twist was coming, but I think the book would have been better had nothing actually happened. I like the idea of everything feeling "off" but not in a way that you can articulate. The whole slasher, multiple personality thing has been done to death, and I'm not really sure what it added to the story or its themes. That said Reid is clearly very talented and I would probably Reid another book of his should he write one.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Al Shut wrote:Searching for loopholes, no doubt. :twisted:

It's a real page turner.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Re: NORMAL by Warren Ellis

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:49 am

[ORBITAL OPERATIONS] 25sep16:
Warren Ellis wrote:Good afternoon. My name’s Warren Ellis. I’m a writer.

So. A little while after I agreed to appear here today, one of the organisers got in touch to say, “well, probably nobody in the room will have a clue who you are, so maybe you could just read them something.” And then there was a suggestion about showing you a film or something, which was kind of weighted with the implication that maybe they didn’t mean to invite me after all. But, sadly for all of us, here I am.

So what I’m going to do is read you something from my next book, which is coming out at the end of November. It’s a mystery story, set in a hospital in the remote forests of Oregon, that caters for only one kind of patient. It’s a home for futurists who have been emotionally damaged by thinking about the future for too long. Because that’s a thing that happens. Here’s a bit from the opening chapter:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Foresight strategists on this side. Non-profits, charitable institutions, universities, design companies, the civil stuff. On the other side? Strategic forecasters. Global security groups, corporate think-tanks, spook stuff. You know the score.”

He did. He was a futurist. They were all futurists. Everyone here gazed into the abyss for a living. Do it long enough, and the abyss would gaze back into you. If the abyss did that for long enough, and the people who paid you for your eyes would send you to Normal Head. The place was paid for by foundations and multinationals alike, together. Most of their human probes needed it, one way or another, in the end.

You can’t start putting together ideas about the future until you take a good long look at the present – the systems and conditions that bind us. There’s a term I use in the book – Abyss Gaze – the thing that happens when you look into the abyss for too long and it starts looking into you.

The book’s called NORMAL.

So here’s a piece of it. The person who’s talking is Lela Charron, and she’s an urbanist – a person involved in seeing and developing the future of the city. And now she’s in Normal Head Research Station, she’s talking to a new arrival called Adam Dearden, and this is how she thinks. I’ve edited out most but not all of the swearing.

"You spend all day thinking of cities as machines for living in. And as the data piles up, and you realize the scale of the problems that cities are intended to solve, you start thinking of the city as a suit of armour to survive in. I mean, in theory and practice, that’s exactly what it is. That’s why cities used to have earthworks and walls around them. A city’s supposed to have everything in it that its citizenry needs to live. If I’m sick, and I live in a city, it’s almost certain that the care I need is closer to me than if I lived in a house in the country, because all the hospitals are in big towns and cities. People in what we think of as a basic Western city simply live longer. Basic, not, you know, collapsing or feral. Basic. Which means they fill up with old people. Huddled up against the health services they need and can afford, and all the other civic machinery that keeps their spaces liveable.”

Adam put his hand on the table, where hers had been, open. “I’m sorry. You don’t need to go on.”

“I do, though. I do need to go on. Because you need to hear it. Everybody does. I have to track shit, to do my job. Literally. I literally had to track the passage of shit through pipes in five major cities for six months, at one point. The way we move shit around in cities is vital. It affects the condition of the urban environment, the volume of humans that can be supported therein, the quality of the water and the state of the ecology outside the city. At least. And then, yes, I had to hand over my data to the city authorities, because that’s what I was hired to do. I don’t get to make the decisions. All I can do is overwhelm them with data and reports until they have no choice but to do the right thing. But they don’t, because nobody can hold the right thing in their heads. It’s too big. It’s too big and it’s too deep.”

“You know what I’m talking about. I got sent to New York. They pump more than thirteen million gallons of water out of New York every day just to keep the subway running. So that people can perform ten thousand felonies a year on it. And that’s the small number. New York needs to pump another two hundred million gallons of water out of four thousand five hundred acres of city every single day to stop the city from drowning in its own piss and bathwater and the sea creeping up to grab at the ankles of the two million people south of 71st Street. That is one system. Only one. And just on Manhattan. The five boroughs have to process more than a billion gallons a day. Remember Hurricane Sandy? Sandy took out half the pumps and almost all the treatment plants in a second. And it was just barely a Category 1 hurricane when it hit. A thirteen-foot surge over the wall by Battery Park. That released ten billion gallons of raw sewage into the city and the surrounding waters. Shit. Big storm comes and we can’t protect ourselves from our own shit. That’s the future, Adam whateveryournameis. Citystates rammed with ageing people huddling up against hospitals and looking up in terror for the big storm that will come and go and leave them floating face down in thirteen feet of shit. And I can’t do anything about it.”

“None of us can. We just look at this stuff, we look wider and deeper, and then just deeper and deeper, and all we can see is everything getting smaller and darker until it’s this infinite black dot of compressed shit and horror. And we get paid for that. That’s the amazing thing. We get paid to stare down the black silo of the future and gaze at the pebble at the bottom that’s nothing but the crushed remains of the species. That’s where we all end up. That’s all we do. And there’s a dollar value on that. We get given money for it. It’s like we’re the sin-eaters for the entire culture, looking at the end of human civilization because it’s supposed that somebody should. I’m fine, by the way. Stop looking for a nurse. I’m going back to work. Society needs people to stare at a ball of shit at the end of the world all day. It’s a living.”

So. If you ever wondered why science fiction writers are a bit weird and sometimes kind of look like they’re surrounded by a murky cloud of restraining orders, this is part of the reason why. This is where we all start, when we begin to think about the future, and looking into that mess isn’t always good for you.

The subtitle of this session is “Who’s afraid of the future?” On some level, all of us who think about it are.

But we have to start extrapolating and speculating from somewhere, right?

I’m not a big fan of prediction in fiction – or, at least, treating fiction as an engine for prediction. Our job was never to predict the single true future.

Thinking about the future isn’t rocket science, and neither is it archery. Time’s Arrow is a seductive idea. The notion that time travels in a straight line, and that we rise into a single future. Or, if you’re feeling oppressed and cranky, that the future is a single cutting head diving down towards us. It simplifies things nicely, and makes passengers of us. It is convenient and sometimes comforting to believe we have no agency in the face of Time’s Arrow. The Future is coming and we’re trapped on the ride.

Science fiction isn’t prediction. It’s imagining storms from the prevailing conditions. We’re not a mirror to the future. We’re just your first, best weather station.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:47 am

Maui wrote:I picked up Harry Potter and the Cursed Child today. Anyone else read this and enjoy the script format?

I'd say I enjoyed the read despite the script format. A lot of what I loved about the novels is lost.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Maui on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Al Shut wrote:
Maui wrote:I picked up Harry Potter and the Cursed Child today. Anyone else read this and enjoy the script format?

I'd say I enjoyed the read despite the script format. A lot of what I loved about the novels is lost.

Yeah, I imagine it will take reading a few pages to get used to the script format.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Ribbons wrote: but I didn't like the ending. It felt like some sort of supernatural/metaphysical twist was coming

Yes, I felt the same way. The ending took a very strange turn.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Noah Hawley (Fargo TV show, Legion) has a book - Before the Fall.
I really enjoyed it. It came off like an novelization of a film at times, but not enough to detract. But if you like his work on TV, you'll probably enjoy this. I'm assuming it will be polished and put onscreen at some point.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 pm

"Placebo-Controlled Clomipramine Trial for the Treatment of Feather Picking Disorder in Cockatoos"

I hear for the film version they're getting Michael Cera to play a cockatoo.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Rereading IT to refresh my memories
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:17 pm

In English or German?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:05 am

German.

Oddly enough, the translation seems to be a bit wonky at times, which I never noticed before. Like calling fortune cookies fortune cakes.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Shouldn't really matter.
Regardless of the language, we all float down here.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Fievel wrote:Vee all flöt down hier.

FTFY
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:08 pm

That's Swedish, not German! I learned that from watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:35 pm

But...he used an umlaut.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Your mom's an umlaut
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:41 pm

...and your demonic alien clown smells of elderberries.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:06 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:Vee all flöt down hier.

FTFY

*herr
caruso_stalker217

Postby Al Shut on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:26 am

Wolfpack wrote:But...he used an umlaut.

chüd
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:17 pm

This is more like 'What are You Listening to'...

Downloaded from Audible the new novel by Paula Hawkins, Into the Water. Will be listening to this during my commute.

Anyone read/listened to this yet?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 am

No, but right now I'm totally into audiobooks via my local library and an app called OverDrive.
Free.

I'm listening to the book about the musical Hamilton and have the autobiography of Jonathan Goldsmith (aka The Most Interesting Man in the World) waiting next.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 am

The Armmaggeddon Rag by George R R Martin

As usual when reading something concerning music I have no idea how it's supposed to sound :?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm

i recently read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. this book was a good reminder of exactly why King should never write books with children or teenagers as the main characters. i'm not sure exactly how 9 year old girls talk , but i'm pretty sure they sound nothing like this.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Re-reading Alistair MacLean's Where Eagles Dare. Need to get some others, and get Taibbi's new book "I can't breathe'

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Ringworld by Larry Niven. It inevitably makes me think of Halo.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby justcheckin on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i recently read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. this book was a good reminder of exactly why King should never write books with children or teenagers as the main characters. i'm not sure exactly how 9 year old girls talk , but i'm pretty sure they sound nothing like this.

I read this years ago... it was meh, 9 year old girls sound nothing like that. :lol:
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby justcheckin on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:35 pm

I just finished reading two books by China Mieville. Perdido Street Station which is part of a series and Embassytown. I liked them both but Embassytown was my favorite of the two.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm on Book 4 of The Expanse series. I'm loving this series (haven't watched the TV show).
Enough turns in each book to keep me guessing, and the dialogue is extremely good at times - almost an Elmore Leonard-esque humor to it. Almost.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:08 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i recently read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. this book was a good reminder of exactly why King should never write books with children or teenagers as the main characters. i'm not sure exactly how 9 year old girls talk , but i'm pretty sure they sound nothing like this.

Imagine if iPhones existed back then.

I recently read SLEEPING BEAUTIES, which King wrote with his son Owen. I thought it was pretty good.

I'm guessing Owen wrote the parts with 21st century technology in them.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:09 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Imagine if iPhones existed back then.

instead of a her walkman lasting over a week on battery power, her iphone would've died after the first night.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to AICN Books