The Official Stephen King Thread

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: The Official Stephen King Thread

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:52 pm

got the book now, will be starting it shortly
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Hopefully with this one there's no kiddie kiddie gang bang
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:32 am

I'm a little over 300 pages in and it's still good. Still not terribly original, but I don't expect much originality from King these days. But he can still do likable characters and piece of shit bad guys you want to see dead, so there you go. The weird kid talk has fallen by the wayside too.

Steve only has a few hundred pages left to shit the bed on this one.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:38 pm

i finished it. it was ok.

in some ways, this book is a minor miracle... a modern-day King book centered around kids, with only minimal cringe-worthy dialogue or painfully obvious tech references. on the other hand, King's well-known (to anyone familiar with his twitter feed) feelings toward a certain popular-vote losing wannabe dictator are put on display from time to time. in most ways, though, this book pretty much fits the mold of most of his latter-day works: fairly involving while you're reading it, but longer than it needs to be, and ultimately forgettable. nothing original or groundbreaking here, though i've long given up on King producing anything like that anymore. the ending propels along nicely, though at times it plays like a psychotic Verizon commercial ("can you hear me now?"), and the very unsurprising reveal in the final pages (a bit of a nod to The Dead Zone?) doesn't have much impact, so when it's all over it's a bit of a "that's it" feeling. without the question mark.

i guess we should probably be happy that Holly Gibney never shows up during this thing at least... though based on the excerpt of his next book i just saw, it's only a temporary respite.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:36 pm

Better than the source material? Here's hoping. Not sure about seemingly making Holly a run of the mill psychic type. Maybe for legal reasons because of the phone company show?

caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:54 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Better than the source material? Here's hoping. Not sure about seemingly making Holly a run of the mill psychic type. Maybe for legal reasons because of the phone company show?

there better be a scene of a character using MapQuest to get to a Walmart, or i'm cancelling my subscription.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:27 am

TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Better than the source material? Here's hoping. Not sure about seemingly making Holly a run of the mill psychic type. Maybe for legal reasons because of the phone company show?

there better be a scene of a character using MapQuest to get to a Walmart, or i'm cancelling my subscription.

Well that goes without saying.
caruso_stalker217

Previous

Return to AICN Books