Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Postby Bean on Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:08 am

Anyone read this book? A lot of people called it 'Harry Potter for adults', but I disagree. It was a very different book, reminded me of a history book actually, but I loved it, it was interesting and at times funny.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:46 am

I would read it upon your recommendation, if it weren't for the fact that I'm now addicted to the Phantom Zone and no longer have time for anything other than the Phantom Zone.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Stephen Black

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:41 am

alternative history, enchantments, resurrections, social commentary, droll British humor. Loved it. The beginning is rough going but once you get into her style it'll suck you in.

If you've read it...do you think Norrell is Dumbledore? (That's not a spoiler or anything, it's never mentioned in the text and it has no bearings on the book.)
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:12 pm

I've heard good things about the book, but I haven't had the chance to pick it up yet. If you guys recommend it, I'll make a better effort to delve into it.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Bean on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:04 pm

I'd deffinitely reccomend it, and a suggestion: read the footnotes, some of them were the funniest parts of the book!

I don't think Norrel was Dumbledore, what woman would honestly stay with him, he's too busy for them.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:28 pm

I thought of him being Dumbledore with regard to his relationship with Childermass. I've lent the book out to a friend so I can't say where or when these refernces occur, but...

********SPOILERS************

Why else would Childermass stay with Norrell? He's the only one who talks back to him, the only one who can contradict Norrell. He's got some magical skills, and yet Norrell keeps him on, when he wants to ban all other magicians. Plus, you get the sort of odd couple vibe...Norrell very fussy, Childermass a dirty rascal (him and Stephen Black are my favorite characters)...just sorta felt like that more was going on between the two of them.

It just felt too me like it could be construed that way, and it would keep with the timeframe the book is set in that it would not be mentioned explicitly by the author or by the characters. When I get the book back I'll have some particular pages to point out.

Not that any of it matters, it doesn't change the characters in any way, but it does lead to some thinking about the lives/universe of the characters.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:21 pm

He could be Dumbledore, but I don't think Norell had time for love, Dumbledore or hetero.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:41 pm

Do you guys want to be My Lover?

notice the capitals.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:23 am

John-Locke wrote:Do you guys want to be My Lover?
notice the capitals.

Yes, yes we do.

Bean, I got independent confirmation...there is enough evidence if you want to see it that way. Maybe asexual (something I'm sure Locke can relate to).
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:30 am

I pickled it up, but haven't gotten to it yet... right now I'm on Dharma Bums upon Burl's and other folks' recommendations. Better than On the Road? I'm not sure yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it. It definitely doesn't start as slowly as On the Road.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:10 am

I don't know what Dharma Bums is. But I am glad you are reading it based on my recommendation. You should read the Dictionary next.
Last edited by burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:13 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I don't know what Dharma Bums is. But I am glad you are reading it based on my recommendation. You should read the Bible next.

You should have said the dictionary, I'd love to hear his review once he finished it.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:29 am

Done.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:42 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I pickled it up,

Ewwww....?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:04 pm

Once again, I´d like everyone to note that I as today´s brain twister recipient and i genuinley think something may be wrong... hopefully it´ll clear up by tomorrow. IPAMPILASH everyone, IPAMPILASH.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:47 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:I thought of him being my lover with regard to his relationship with Childermass. I've lent the book out to a friend so I can't say where or when these refernces occur, but...

********SPOILERS************

Why else would Childermass stay with Norrell? He's the only one who talks back to him, the only one who can contradict Norrell. He's got some magical skills, and yet Norrell keeps him on, when he wants to ban all other magicians. Plus, you get the sort of odd couple vibe...Norrell very fussy, Childermass a dirty rascal (him and Stephen Black are my favorite characters)...just sorta felt like that more was going on between the two of them.

It just felt too me like it could be construed that way, and it would keep with the timeframe the book is set in that it would not be mentioned explicitly by the author or by the characters. When I get the book back I'll have some particular pages to point out.

Not that any of it matters, it doesn't change the characters in any way, but it does lead to some thinking about the lives/universe of the characters.

Wasn't Childermass his man servant, in a non sexual way? Or am I too naive?

And I loved Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. It was a great great book. And like someone mentioned, don't skip the footnote. They help flesh out the story quite a bit.

And I also disagree about the H@rry Potter for Adults quote. It's more like reading an historical fiction.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Lupe on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:13 pm

great book, Finished it last week, Girl friends reading it now, more Dickens than Rowling I'd have said.
Lupe
REAL DRAGON

Postby Mimekiller on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:32 pm

I belive Childermass was kept around purely for his ability to bull crap. Im half way through the book and im enjoying it a lot.
The Atom Bomb:Made in America, tested in Japan
Mimekiller
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby dark wesley on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:19 am

absouletly great book, and youre right the footnotes are well worth the exra reading. i read this and then heard about that film chris nolans doing with jackman and it sounds like a very similar plot, whats that about?
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:41 pm

Looks like I'm bumping the books threads today (but the Underworld Sucks Debate is boring me):

I really dug Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell rigth up to the ending.

**************Spoliers*****************

I really wanted Jonathan and Mrs Strange to be reunited in the end. I understand she needed an excuse for the disappearance of English Magic, but the Love story between those two really got to me, and I wnated them to be happy in the end. I read the book quite a while ago, and it is out on loan to my sister right now, so I can't recheck my facts, but doesn't he hide his soul, or his heart or something like thayt in her pocket out of his true love for her? I don't know. Might just be me, but after spending that much time with the Stranges, I really wanted them to be ahppy in the end. Norrell on the other hand, screw him! :-)
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:40 am

I'M reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell!

By the way, is anyone here into Elizabeth Peters at all? Specifically the Amelia Peabody series? I was thinking about starting a thread but I don't know if it's worth it.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Re: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Postby Ribbons on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:05 pm

I HAVE JUST STARTED READING THIS BOOK EVERYBODY!

I'm less than halfway through, but like the Song of Ice and Fire books that means I'm probably like 400 pages in. It's a mighty tome, and/or paperweight.

It's hard to make sense of the plot as of yet, as the story consists mostly of set-up and some surreal vignettes. The thing that strikes me the most about these, besides for how evocative they are, is that they feel like they were inspired by actual dreams that the author had. They have that quality to them that's hard to fake. So it's got authentic dreamlike atmosphere coming out the wazoo, even if the story up to this point has been rather slight. However a larger mystery seems to be unfolding with the man in the green coat and his plans for a new Britain that has me hooked. The definition of a page-turner, and I urge any fantasy, 'bronze goggles' or Neil Gaiman fans to give it a look. AND I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU OUT THERE, YOU LURKERS, SCOUNDRELS, POSEURS AND REPROBATES! Seriously, let's book-club this shit.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:If you've read it...do you think Norrell is Dumbledore? (That's not a spoiler or anything, it's never mentioned in the text and it has no bearings on the book.)

My answer to this would be a tentative 'yes'. Old English gentleman's clubs and male relationships in general had a bit of a homoerotic (or at least Lil' Rascals, He-Man Woman Haters) vibe to them, and Susanna Clarke seems to know more than enough of her English history to know this. So it can certainly be read that way. But there are also a few pointed remarks (especially so since they serve as the cappers of their chapters) where Norrell seems to indicate a peculiar jealousy of Mrs. Strange, and anyone else who takes up Jonathan's time. Maybe just because he's excited to have found someone 'like him,' but again... it can be read several ways. Right or wrong, the thought certainly struck me before I even noticed your comment.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:02 pm

BBC1 Orders ‘Strange’ Series & Dramas From ‘Downton’ Producer, ‘Being Human’ Creator
NANCY TARTAGLIONE wrote:Ramping up its event drama output, BBC One has commissioned three new series for 2013. Period fantasy drama Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell is a six-part series based on the best-selling novel by Susanna Clarke and adapted by Wallander‘s Peter Harness. The book is an alternate history of England set during the Napoleonic Wars and focusing on a magician and his apprentice who use their powers to help the government but who are ultimately pitted against one another. New Line optioned the movie rights back in 2005 with Christopher Hampton adapting, but the film was never made. The series is produced by Cuba Pictures in association with Feel Film and Farmoor. Cuba recently produced Rufus Norris’ well-received festival title Broken. Toby Haynes, who directed the Season 2 Sherlock finale, The Reichenbach Fall, is helming. Nick Hirschkorn and Nick Marston are producers, Justin Thomson-Glover, Patrick Irwin and Matthew Read are exec producers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Whaaaaaa! :o
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Just finished the whole dang thing. So cool. Here's hoping that the adaptation does it justice. The fact that it's being made by the BBC Wallander crew gives me hope, but I imagine it'll be awful expensive.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:20 am

The BBC made a miniseries out of this book. Has anybody watched any of it? It could be the next Game of Thrones! ...maybe. Well, probably not. But I still want to see it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:36 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:11 am

i watched this show. it was OK. didn't really inspire me to want to go out and read the book though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to AICN Books